Mezza House - Mediterranean!

Coming Soon - Mezza House Mediterranean!

Hackettstown Family-Owned Mediterranean Restaurant!
Anticipated Opening April 2013

190 Main St
Hackettstown, NJ 07840

Next to Stella G's!

trekster3 trekster3
Feb '13

Oh that sounds good. I hope it's more Turkish than Italian or Greek fare (although a bangin' good place for gyros would be welcome too.) I've been missing Cassia Grill since it closed.

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '13

Isn't "mezza" Italian for "halfway"? So, Mediterranean Halfway House?

Is this a place for Italian ex-cons to assimilate back into society? (-;

ianimal ianimal
Feb '13

Re: Mezza House - Mediterranean!

Saw this guy going inside with tools. Must be a workman!

John C John C
Feb '13

ian - It's usually short for Mezza Luna. If you offer to show me a "half moon", I'm outta here. Just saying before you even get started...

Personally I already love the gyro at Zaytun's, so I'd go more for something like Moroccan and west Mediterranean than eastern.

Very nice, bring it on !

Sounds good! It will be great to have another nice restaurant in Hackettstown.

MrsPipes MrsPipes
Feb '13

AND they're a Hackettstown family! Fare should lean more towards Lebanese - I personally am hoping for some good falafel, hummus, etc. They're planning to do some re-decorating so be patient!

trekster3 trekster3
Feb '13

My fiance will be thrilled! He is part middle eastern and loves foods from that general area

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Feb '13

sounds great but i too, LOVE Zaytun! Cant beat the prices or the quality.

icicle icicle
Feb '13

Are you hiring??

Angie White Angie White
Feb '13

Angie, I did ask them, but they have a BIG family so right now they're not hiring :(

trekster3 trekster3
Feb '13

So pleased to see another restaurant move into that space....wishing the best for success and to further develop a nice restaurant scene in the Main Street area....with Bea McNally's, Pandan, Marleys, Stella G's etc.

jpb3302 jpb3302
Feb '13

From what I've heard about their plans and some of the renovations, it'll be much nicer inside!

trekster3 trekster3
Feb '13

FYI mezza means small plates in this context, not halfway.

Thanks, JPM... That makes more sense. So, it's kind of Italian-style tapas? Interesting concept. Where were these restaurants when I was living there? I might not have left (-;

ianimal ianimal
Feb '13

Having recently moved west from New York City and experienced the food and ambiance of such places as ilili and Naya (which are very famous Lebanese Restaurants), the word Mezza can only bring me back to the delicious spreads of food that I have enjoyed so many times. Having many small options in front of you, such as Hummus, Baba Ghanouj, and Tabbouleh, not only leaves you full, but also tickles your taste buds with so many fresh and delicious flavors. And to top it all off, you don't have to feel bad about eating so much because it is the healthiest cuisine you will ever come across. I CANT WAIT!!

shb098 shb098
Feb '13

Yeah from what I hear its gonna be Lebanese food which I've had a few times before and it is downright DELICIOUS. Basically their food consists of hummus, falafel, chicken sandwhiches similar to gyros, etc. I'm super excited!

Hg123 Hg123
Feb '13

shb, I'm in a book club with friends in the city and they chose ilili for our next dinner. Honestly, it's not my preferred cuisine and I'm a little hesitant to spend a lot of money on food that I probably won't enjoy. We were supposed to go during Restaurant Week but we got postponed because of the snow storm. Is there something you can suggest for someone that isn't really an adventurous eater? Hummus is even too much for me. I'm just not a fan.

Tracy Tracy
Feb '13

I can't wait to attend the soft opening for this place.

Falafel and chicken kebabs are safe mild choices.

Emaxxman Emaxxman
Feb '13

Maybe we can have April's lunch here...if there is one in April. Too bad about last Friday at Fujiyama. :(

I have heard great things as well. I LOVE lebanese food. Its so yummy. I love their fresh salads and simple dishes. I know they use a lot of fresh, healthy ingredients like olive oil, lemons, parsley, garlic, etc... but all in moderation. Nothing is overwhelming, too spicy or aritificial tasting. I have been going to Paterson for good lebanese food and now to hopefully have something here in our town is awesome.

Zaytun is great - but definitely looking for a new take on Lebanese cusine -maybe a bit more authentic. I can't wait to see and taste!

lemonlover lemonlover
Feb '13

Cant beat the taste. the selection and the health factor. in fact, as recent as yesterday, CNN broadcasted on their nightly show, Anderson 360 along with Dr. Gupta, that mediterranean food beat health diet by a great margin. thats excellent news and something i have heard for a long time. looking forward to a new restaurant that brings variety to this town.

the great cornholio
Feb '13

FYI, Owner in the office today and said Permits and process moving along - I'll let you know when we come close!

Wendy @ HKT BID Wendy @ HKT BID
Mar '13

Is this / hookah ??

Biscuit Biscuit
Jul '13

A Hookah bar in Hackettstown?? Hooray!

mammadone mammadone
Jul '13

OMG hookah is coming to Main Street!? Yessssssss!!!

JessMphone JessMphone
Jul '13

5 months is coming soon ?

jerseycash5
Jul '13

Any update on this place?

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '13

Still in renovation mode last I checked during the farmer's market.

Breaking News!! Mezza House is NOW OPEN!!

Call first for hours and we'll be posting the menu on their site as soon as we get it!!

Note the light fixtures and candle holders are from Old Souk Trading Company and the beautiful counters are from New Image Granite!

Thanks Mezza for using hometown business to help start up your business!!

Wendy @ Hkt Bid Wendy @ Hkt Bid
Oct '13

I had the babaganoush and falafel --- Yummy!!

trekster3- trekster3-
Oct '13

Thank you for this good news! We will be going to Mezza House.

MrsPipes MrsPipes
Oct '13

Very beautiful...Is Old Souk and Mezza House the same owners.

Firefly Firefly
Oct '13

Looks like a nice place. Do they have a website or Facebook page?

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '13

Got it, but no menu. :-(

https://www.facebook.com/Mezzahousehackettstown

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '13

Firefly - they're from the same family, I think cousins....

Calico, the menu should be posted by today sometime, I was having trouble with it at the office! I'd blame the computer, but I suspect operator error :)

trekster3- trekster3-
Oct '13

It's not the best image, but here you go!!

http://www.hackettstownbid.com/docs/mezza-house-menu.pdf

Oct '13

Just had lunch from there. The place is beautiful inside with about 50 seats plus additional seating at the bar.

We got the kaftka wrap with a side of tabbouleh - very good tasting a good value for the price. We also got the baba ganoush. That was really good too - smokey flavored just like we like it. They didn't have the shwarma available (and that's what we really wanted to try.) Will have to come back.

I hope this place really catches on. We really miss Cassia Grill. Mezza is a very welcome addition to Main Street.

emaxxman emaxxman
Oct '13

Bar? I'm listening. Is it an actual bar, or is it a bar like Stella G's with no liquor?

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '13

Calico - Sorry, no liquor :( But a lovely counter to enjoy your meal if you go solo!

Oct '13

Easy there. Let's call it a lunch counter.

emaxxman emaxxman
Oct '13

I am sure it is BYOB? NO? They are open at night also.

Christine Christine
Oct '13

No one with a liquor license has closed, so it can't be a bar serving alcohol. But you can always BYOB. ;-)

Went and enjoyed a wonderful dinner last night. We had the Mediterranean platter, which gives you a nice mix of all the grilled items. It was delicious! The Hummus, Baba Ghanoush, and Tabouli are to die for! The grape leaves were not available, but they told me that they soon will be, as this was only their soft opening. Great atmosphere with music. Very welcoming and it's BYOB. Great addition to Hackettstown, and we will definitely be back :)

Foody_NYC0103 Foody_NYC0103
Oct '13

just ate there tonight.great food.the place has a warm feel to it.will go back.

puddintain puddintain
Oct '13

Had an amazing dinner Sunday night! Being Lebanese and from the area it is refreshing to finally have an authentic Lebanese restaurant with amazing food in a fabulous setting. The ambiance is perfect for a nice dinner on the weekends. When you are there you feel like family. This is my kind of place and I will definitely tell my close friends and family about it and come back!

Stefania Stefania
Oct '13

An AMAZING warm welcome and experience in spite of not having all the foods or desserts available. Lovely atmosphere and you have the opportunity to be served "family style" meaning it's a family affair and expect to be served by several members of the family during one sitting/ loved the décor and the Arabic music. What a refreshing new taste in town.

Diane Von Stein
Oct '13

We're so glad everyone is enjoying Mezza House! I'll share this thread with the owners!

Also, they have a much better copy of their menu so, here it is!

http://www.hackettstownbid.com/docs/mezza-house-color-menu.pdf

Oct '13

Had takeout from here tonight. FANTASTIC. They were timely and the food was great. The staff was a bit stiff but I think they are getting their bearings. Definitely will be back :-)

Yum Pretzels! Yum Pretzels!
Oct '13

Enjoyed a fantastic meal last night. We enjoyed the chicken kabob, lamb kabob (request a bit of the whipped garlic paste to go with the grilled meat), hummus, baba ghanoush, grape leaves, olives, followed by a Lebanese stuffed (nut mixture) cookie. The food is pure and simple, but complex.

Every item had its own distinct, full flavor and each item complemented the next. Everything is made from quality, fresh ingredients just as you would expect when visiting family. It is staffed by family too, and they make you feel welcome from the moment you step in the door to when you leave.

We intend to be regular visitors and will try everything on the menu because we are confident that everything is as good or better than what we enjoyed last night. We highly recommend that you try Mezza House. Pricing is moderate and worth it for the time and hand work that goes into creating your meal. Definitely a great place to take friends and BYOB too! A great addition to our growing number of international dining spots in our small town.

steveandon steveandon
Oct '13

What wonderful reviews! Sounds like they are here to stay and what a nice compliment to the already fantastic restaurants here in town. Mezza House, Stella G's, Pandan Room, Churrascaria Hackettstown Paladar and others may just be the difference in making Main Street, Hackettstown come alive! Well Done.

Firefly Firefly
Oct '13

Hackettstown has always been a great place to eat. But adding two new places like Mezza and Tandoori is huge. (in addition to Ashley's, Marley's, Bea's, and Prickly) Plus, we're not done yet. We just gotta get "Wendy @ Hkt Bid" to spill the beans. ;-)

GC - Soon GC, Soon - I haven't gotten word yet that I can spill!! BUT, for all you adventurous food lovers out there, something new, from a trusted friend :)

trekster3- trekster3-
Oct '13

What days and hours is Mezza House open? 7 days or 6 days?

mansfield mama mansfield mama
Oct '13

Tandoori's food was great, but there is no decorations up at all. It's crazy. Saturday Mezza packed an. Tandoori not one table. They need to call they're friends back in India and get some authentic Indian art on the walls.

It's not sexy to have a date there. Mezza is sexy. We went last night it was excellent

Mike12
Oct '13

I agree with Mike12 that atmosphere is very important to the dining experience.

Firefly Firefly
Oct '13

Had a great dinner there Friday night! Food was fresh and tasty! Everyone was super friendly and apologetic if they were slow with something. Very cozy and nice music too for a change! We will be back...regularly! Best of luck to them!

Had a fantastic meal at Mezza. Family is warm and friendly. They make everything from scratch. They explained it was a soft opening so they are still getting into full swing. I didn't mind a little wait because the atmosphere was gorgeous and they give delightful chips and olives to snack on (we enjoyed with a great dry Bordeaux). The lights are beautiful I asked and one of the owners also owns The Old Souk next door where sell all different mosaics - we stopped by and got one myself! What an excellent addition to Hackettstown. We are total foodies and this is another great place go. Definitely recommend it.

lemonlover lemonlover
Oct '13

How does this compare with Zaytun?

boxermom boxermom
Oct '13

boxermom,

Mezza House is more like Pandan in terms of decor.... it is more mid to upscale. Zaytun is nice and food good, but more like a cafeteria.

Both have good fresh food.

Jennilyn Jennilyn
Oct '13

Amazing meal and what a welcoming family! We had the falafel as well as several sides (Mezzo's), the food was fresh, well prepared and tasty.
They were having a family party, and invited us to stay for cake!
This was a Tuesday evening and was busy.
My recommendation is go during the week, because on the week ends this place will be packed.. Good food in Hackettstown lives!!

rjd007 rjd007
Oct '13

Boxermom... It doesn't compare to Zaytun at all. Eating at Mezza left us crying for our beloved Zaytun. The place is very beautiful, and I wish them the best in their endeavor, but the food was not the slightest bit enjoyable to us.

JessMphone JessMphone
Nov '13

Best food I ever had in the us.i tried different lebanese restaurant accross the us this one is the best so far..good luck

food expert food expert
Nov '13

I've been to both places more than once. They are both good in their own way. Mezza has a high end interior with granite and travertine tile. I wouldn't call Zaytun a cafeteria, it's just more casual like Mama's instead of Mattar's. Zaytun's is defintely larger as well. Both places are spotlessly clean.

Mezza's sides seem to be quite fresh and that's extra important for something like tabouleh which was comparable between the places where Zaytun might have had a bit more tang with lemon juice, the olive oil in it at Mezza is tasteable quality. Mezza's hummus is good and fresh with a light garlic touch I like but is a matter of taste, but it's not quite as creamy as Zaytun. There was a bit of olive oil on top of the hummus which if they add it that way, they should consider not doing that.

The felafel is so similarly spiced between the two, I think you might actually be able to put them side by side and not tell them apart. Totally full of flavor, and I've always raved about how good that is, so very high marks all around to both places. The shwarma is not the same, I do really like Zaytun's spice blend even if Mezza is also good. But the meat (beef) at Mezza just was not as tender which I thought was the one definitely let down there. Zaytun puts beet and a pickle wedge in their sandwiches which is different but easy to skip if it's not what you want.

Everything else has been comparable even if one place has a bit of an edge here or there.

As a last note there is one additional difference in the places - Zaytun has a bigger menu. A shorter menu isn't necessarily a bad thing, it can let you concentrate on what your specialty is.

HI GC: Just wondering if the Mezza House could hold a party of 10 to 15 people in their dining area.

Iris - Yes, I'm sure they can put enough tables together for that and still have a couple of other tables available. It may be smaller than Zaytun that could accommodate several groups like that. But Mezza is not tiny either.

THE FOOD IS TO DIE FOR!!! Just went for an early dinner... got an appetizer sampler (3 apps) my boyfriend got a lamb burger, and I got the falafel sandwich platter.. all for under $35!!!! The atmosphere was awesome, and the people are better! The only down side is that they didn't have a lot of items on the menu. I really wanted to try the black olive hummus but the woman said she had stopped making it because it wasn't popular. All the food is so fresh and so tasty. I still can't believe how good it was. We will definitely be back!

beccaa123
Nov '13

I can't wait to try it! Hopefully my daughter and I will be able to make it over there this weekend.

Even though I have not tried it yet.. I have been spreading the word like wild fire because of all the great reviews!

positive positive
Nov '13

Just adding my kudos to Habib(sp?) and family -- Mezza House is lovely and the food is delicious. We had a wonderful dinner there this evening -- my son had the beef shawarma and our friend had chicken kabobs and we also had falafel and the mixed veggies (deliciously marinated) and hummus and baba ghanoush and a spinach/lemon pie and some Phoenicia fries and baklava and STRONG Lebanese coffee. Everything was excellent, including the seasoned pita chips and olives we got before the meal.

Everything we ordered was available. It was busy, but the service was good and the wait time wasn't bad at all. I love the decor and the people are wonderful.

Congratulations, and keep up the great work!

Hopeful in H-town Hopeful in H-town
Nov '13

Just had lunch and wish the new place all the success. Place is nice. Food was good similar to Greek foods. Will give it another try and go back but seeing how it just opened we saw that staff/owners were still learning the ropes of operations. We needed to get in and get out and we along with others were waiting a too long for our food. I know my fresh foods and thought everything was homemade but the french fries were definitely frozen and made in old oil. Can't make frozen foods taste fresh and good. Menu was somewhat confusing. The side with my lunch was not worth $3.00 extra dollars for 1 small piece of a small meat type ball. We did not try the baklava but will next time and I hope that is homemade and just a good as the homemade Greek pastry...light, tasty, flaky.

GLevin6672
Nov '13

Went there for the first time today. The food was so fresh and delicious. We loved everything we ordered. The place is beautiful and the owner is so nice and welcoming. Love the decor. Will definitely be going back soon.

Tweety Tweety
Jan '14

I went for the first time about 2 weeks ago. Food was good, though was dissapointed they no longer had the sandwich option and that service was a bit slow. Probably will try it again in the future at some point, but may choose Zaytun instead when I want similar cuisine.

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Jan '14

Good food IMHO. Service is not slow if you are bringing wine. This is not fast food or a microwave driven restaurant so a little patience is needed. The interior decor and music are nice and the staff is friendly.

My husband I finally got a chance to eat there last night. I'm a vegetarian so the menu worked for me and my husband is a meatoholic and he was super satisfied as well. Cozy place, great ambiance but as an old friend always used to say...can't eat the ambiance...which is fine because the food was excellent, fresh and plentiful. We'll be back.

stopanimalabuse stopanimalabuse
Feb '14

NEWSFLASH! Mezza House is now on restaurant.com

Today's offer code is NEW. You can get a $25 gift certificate for $5 using the code.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '14

Finally went to the Mezza House for the first time this weekend...and I'm sorry we didn't make it there sooner. The food is OUT OF THIS WORLD...I was so impressed by the decor, hospitality and everything we tried was just amazing and FRESH!
-Shwarma w/babaganoush
-Shrimp Entree w/grape leaves
We also had the 3 side Mezza sampler (meatball, tabouli, and hummus)
and Baklava for dessert!

I had an unused restaurant.com gift card I was saving for a rainy day, and I'm glad we used it for Mezza House. Can't wait to go back! YUM!

av111ks av111ks
Sep '14

The place is really good, makes Hackettstown a lot better...

I haven't tried this place yet, but it looks amazing.

May not be for everyone, but Mediterranean food is the best. I never really ate it before I started dating my girlfriend three years ago, her parents are from Greece and cook mostly Greek and Mediterranean dishes.

Penningslandscaping Penningslandscaping
Sep '14

We've only tried it for lunch and that was when they opened. Haven't made the time yet for dinner. I do agree that these restaurants make the town nicer. Having a variety of cuisines brings in different crowds; the place is also very nicely decorated.

emaxxman emaxxman
Sep '14

Anyone know how Mezza House is doing - keeping busy?
I searched for them on restaurants.com again to get a certificate to dine out this month, but don't see they are participating at this time.
They post regularly on Facebook.
Hope they are keeping tables full, love that place but haven't had the time or extra funds to visit since August.

av111ks av111ks
Oct '14

I still haven't tried this place yet, though I'd love it. It's a hard sell with my husband as it's not his type of food.

I might have to conjure up a different date in order to go. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

Calico - bring anyone, the mail man if you have to...this place is GREAT! LOL

My boyfriend and I have a really hard time deciding which of the Main St area restaurants to go to when we have some extra money/time.
Its always a toss up between Mezza and Pandan Room...we have yet to try Topo.

av111ks av111ks
Oct '14

Adore this place, and the family who runs it is lovely.

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '14

I am not available Calico. I agree with your husband.

Old Gent Old Gent
Oct '14

LOL Old Gent, maybe I'll meet Rebecka there.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

LOL What about me Calico...I'm dying to go back :)

av111ks av111ks
Oct '14

av111ks - Many of the places are very affordable if you can do lunch. Topo has excellent specials. It's more of a splurge for dinner, but the Churrascaria should definitely be on that list as well. Ashley's is not big on decor, but the food is great and reasonable priced. I'm not big on Japanese or that would be higher on my list. Little Tokyo will do some nice Korean food that's worth it. If you want a great bargain, Leo's will take care of you as well.

Rebecka - They're great people. Just never be in a rush. This is the place if you want to relax and stay a while. ;-)

calico - Horatio needs a kick in the fatoush. ;-) What's not to like about a few kabobs, one of the most universal foods ever. Grilled meat on a stick? What guy doesn't like that? He can stay away from all the sides, but he seriously could do just fine.

He's ok with the meat, but not a fan of the sides at all. I know every time I bring up going there he looks at the menu again and makes "the face".

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

Thanks GC - Wish our work schedules and other commitments allowed us to get a break in the afternoon for a tasty lunch. Been meaning to also check out Churrascaria, also...thanks for the reminder!

When I said extra money, I wasn't referring to the places being costly or over-priced...I'm just on a tight budget. I think all of the establishments we've mentioned above offer a great, fresh variety and value for their prices!

av111ks av111ks
Oct '14

Calico. I have the same problem with Bergey. Loves the meats not a fan of sides. I like most of the sides. Maybe one day you and I could meet for lunch.

Christine Christine
Oct '14

Seems like a lot of us on in the same boat, we love it..our partner doesn't. Why don't we do a girls night out???

...I know every time I bring up going there he looks at the menu again and makes "the face"

ROFL. I used to be much the same. I started broadening my horizons when I started cooking. I still won't eat everything my wife does (I absolutely, positively cannot do seafood), but I've "come a long way, baby!"

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Oct '14

LOL JR good for you. He actually eats a lot of different stuff since he's a former chef. But there are just some things he doesn't dig. Hummus, couscous etc. are definitely nos for him. I finally got him to try Indian a few years ago and he liked it. Now I no longer get arguments about that. We were sad that Tandoori Grill closed. I did get him to go to a Moroccan restaurant once. He wasn't thrilled about sitting on the floor since it bothered his back, but he did like the food. I have to remind him of that.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

The same here - my husband isn't interested - my son & I finally made it it there
And had a nice meal - great service . Definitely will go back.

Im game if anyone wants to go!

htownnewbie htownnewbie
Oct '14

Hubby kids and I went for lunch one day and we all absolutely loved it. The woman was so impressed that my 3 year old daughter ordered shawarma that she stood by and waited for her to take a taste. I guess it's not something a lot of kids order but my daughter loved it. I did ask that her sandwich come completely disassembled as I knew she wouldn't be able to handle it as a full sandwich. She loved the meat though. The woman said most parents just order the chicken kabobs for their kids.

jrsemom jrsemom
Oct '14

Former chef... BK doesn't count...

LOL Jay, trust me it wasn't at BK. He has a culinary degree.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

Couldn't resist that one. I am not a big fan of couscous either but all of the Mezza appetizers are awesome but I can skip the fries they serve...

Went Sunday night the food was awesome - the Kefta Burger was one of the best burgers ever had & all the Mezza/Appetizers are very good .

The one thing is they need to hire a professional waitress - maybe they can't afford it but the lady we had was very nice but she disappeared for at least 30 minutes - got the feeling she may have been helping out in the kitchen . We had a large group - 10 people so maybe they were a little overwhelmed but think if they had a couple just dedicated waitresses the place would take off.

I dunno maybe a bad night to go but the food is out of this world just might take a little while to get it. But definitely will be going back - maybe for take-out.

Mezza is good but I think Zaytun is better. Only, Zaytun is not a pretty restaurant like Mezza.
I think Zaytun should consider remodeling -- a wall separating the counter food display from the seating -- and make the eating area more attractive.
I would be there almost every week if they did that instead of just the occasional take-out.....and I think many more people would dine there too if it had a nicer atmosphere.
Their food is outstanding!

happiest girl
Oct '14

whats up with this place.sometimes i go by on a friday or saturday night and there is not a soul in the place.are they ready to go. make it a steak and chop house and it will be a hit

s.dog s.dog
Nov '14

Why would you even make such a statement? If you're worried about them being "ready to go", then go in there and support them and buy a meal.

We already have the Prickly Pear, Mattar's, and Niles for a decent local steakhouse. Unless you're going to open a high end steakhouse like a Luger's, it's just more of the same. At least Mezza House is trying to offer something different.

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '14

I'll definitely have to try Mezza - I do have to go back to Zaytun's as well. Great place and delicious food - love the lamb kabobs! I just haven't been going out much recently.

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '14

I ordered a meal one day from Mezza, take-out. Over the phone. They said about 20 minutes. I went to Target, probably a good 40 minutes. When I got there, the lights were off, sign said "closed", no sight of anyone. It was in the middle of the day, and not lunch time. It was about an hour after they opened.

I tried calling, no answer. Knocked a few times over 5 minute span, was about to give up and forfeit my meal, but finally a guy came out of the back. When he unlocked and opened the door, he seemed annoyed with me for no reason. I paid, the food still wasn't quite done. Another five minutes and it was done.

The two other times I went before this, it's consistently taken 20 minutes between each time the waitress comes to our table - and it generally takes over an hour for the meals to come out after you order them. The waitress stays in the back for extended amounts of time, no real courtesy. And each time we've visited, we've seen several people walk out.

Yes, some of the best food I've had. It's so good. One of the few places that, even with bad customer service, the food could keep the customers coming back. But when you're taking 3 hours for a lunch from when you walk in to walk out and it's not busy, there's a problem.

Zaytun on the other hand, when you dine in, yes it takes a little while but nothing like the wait at Mezza. And when you order from Zaytun, they always have the order ready to be picked up once you get there. And the man that owns it is extremely nice.

Food from both places is delicious. Zaytun's brie and apple panini is to die for. The shwarma from Mezza is to die for. But I'd go to Zaytun's any day over Mezza due to the service.

And Zaytun gives you more food for cheaper than Mezza.

Of course, the atmosphere of Mezza is much nicer though.

checkonetwo checkonetwo
Nov '14

Wow, Mezza House changed for the worse! I was there last night because we wanted falafal sandwiches on pit'a with all the sauce and stuff and the waitress told us "no sandwiches anymore" so we had to order the full meal (either the salad platter or the main platter as they call it).

So there were 2 of us and we each ordered a platter (lamb kabob and falafal salad platters), we also ordered some mezzas for appetizers (babaganoush, grape leaves, hummus and the meatballs) which come as tiny side dishes (mezza means small).

When we got the bill it was almost $90.00 for the two of us! With tip it was $107.22 Whoa! That's more than the bill was for FOUR of us last weekend at The Pandan Room!!

Love the food, but it's way to expensive.

Heidi Heidi
Nov '14

Heidi, this is impossible. You must have ordered food of at least (4) people...

Heidi or whatever it is today - From their menu, the platters are $17 + $11. Your mezza were 3 x $8 + $6. That's a total of $48 and a whole heck of a lot of food since the mezza alone were a meal for two and you had two full meals with vegetables and salad in addition to that. What else did you order?

Sorry, I fat fingered the 4 for a 5 - should be $58.

well I have to say mezza house gave it a good try.i cant wait to see who is going to be next. perfect place for stellas to expand.

j.mooney j.mooney
Nov '14

Wait - Did it close? It was open over the weekend...

Bronko Nagurski
Nov '14

To GC...

Um, I have been Heidi for 54 years, both in real life and since being on this site, thank you very much.

Also, aside from your nasty comment, you also either can't add or can't read a menu. The prices you gave were not correct and the math is not correct. Here, let me show you what the two of us ate...

Appetizer - 1 Mezza Sampler (small portions of each mezza to taste) - shared by us both $35.00
Extra side of Baba Ganoush (because the bowl with the Mezza Sampler was super tiny and gone in 2 seconds) $8
Dinner 1 -$21.00
Dinner 2 - $14.00 (this was supposed to be $11.00 but didn't notice when there)
1 order Baklava (shared by both) - $9.00
Total food = $87.00 (like I said, almost $90.00)
plus $20.22 tip = $107.22 (I meant to write $20.00 even, but wrote .22 cents instead of the two zeros)

I will say it again...TOTAL - $107.22

So, we had an appetizer, each had a meal and we shared a small portion of Baklava. Not what I would consider excessive and not food for 4 people like you claim GC. The food was very good (I am 1/4 Lebanese so I know the food well) but we were NOT stuffed and ate everything on our plates except for some rice and lettuce. And, no GC, before you go assuming that my name isn't Heidi, that I'm a liar and that I eat like a horse and weigh 500 lbs -- I am a size 5 and 118 lbs, and yes, again, my name is Heidi. My boyfriend is thin as well - so it wasn't him eating for 4 either.

Nastiness is not necessary GC. And by the way, why so quick to defend this particular restaurant? I was just sharing my experience? Why the mean response?

Heidi Heidi
Nov '14

Actually, your original post contained incorrect or omitted information. You didn't say that you got a seven Mezza sampler for $35. You listed four mezzas only... you didn't say anything about Tabouleh, Spinach pies or Phoenicia fries. His math was correct according to what you wrote.

Nor did you mention that you ordered another full side of baba ghanoush and had baklava for dessert. You also made it sound like you both got salad platters. So, yes, it sounds like you spent almost $90. It also sounds like you got just about everything on the menu for your $90.

ianimal ianimal
Nov '14

Heidi,
Was there no tax on your meal?
A flat bill of $87 with a $20 tip would be 23% tip.

However, with 7% tax the bill would have been $93.09, and bringing the total to $107 would mean you tipped at 15% or $14.

hapiest girl
Nov '14

Do they not include prices on the menu? It's just weird that you seemed like you were surprised when you got the bill. If the total was a surprise, then that's a little shady....

The prices are there.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '14

Heidi,
What do you mean, you were told "no sandwiches anymore"
They are still on the menu.
Are you saying the waitress said you cannot get a falafil sandwich at dinner time?

Can anyone confirm if they have eaten there at dinner time and only ordered a sandwich?

hapiest girl
Nov '14

I'm still waiting to understand how it changed for the worse. I'll admit, given portion size, it's a bit expensive...and I'm a size 200lb, gluttonous, and happy.

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '14

Hell, I once spent $90 at Fujiyama all by myself... and I was hungry again two hours later, lol. Worth every penny, though (-;

ianimal ianimal
Nov '14

Yah i was there a few Sundays ago - the waitress said no sandwiches it was around 5 pm so i guess during dinner hours no sandwiches. That's what i took away from it.

Wow ian, $90 is a lot. I hope that included a lot of alcohol or some premium high end sushi. I did spend $60 once but that included some extra takeout sushi on my way out. :-)

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '14

You ordered a lot of food... it is what it is...

The waitress said they were not serving sandwiches or sandwich platters "anymore." She did not say anything about dinner time only - just no more sandwiches.

Maybe it's me but I don't think what we ordered was excessive and neither of us were stuffed - like I said the portions were small. An appetizer mezza platter we shared, a main meal each and a shared dessert is excessive???

What I meant by "changed for the worse" is that the sandwiches/sandwich platters are no longer available (and I love a good falafal on pita with lettuce and stuff), and we both noticed that the portion sizes have shrunk.

For instance - the Kafta; used to be you got 4 kafta's (chopped meat with spices shaped like a log) and they were about 6 inches long and almost as thick as an Italian sausage (I ordered them many times). Now, you get 3 instead of 4 and they are half the size.

I am not trying to bash the place, I was just sharing my experience for God's sake; I felt for what/the amount of food we got it was very expensive, the sandwiches are no longer available and the portion sizes are smaller. I don't understand why everyone is freaking out over this! None of this (other than what is considered a lot of food or not, I guess) is an opinion - it's what we experienced and how much we paid ($107.22). I am totally perplexed as to why this caused such a furry about being a liar, ordering the whole menu, pretending to be someone else, being wrong, etc...?!

Geez, I won't be posting reviews on HL anymore, lol! It's freaking dangerous.

Heidi Heidi
Nov '14

I don't see anyone freaking out or causing a "furry" ;)

If you read back, it's pretty clear that everyone was just trying to clarify in order to understand what you meant.

The problem is that your initial review came across as bashing. You weren't clear on why the place had changed for the worse. You then expressed disappointment at the bill (which should never have been a surprise) but neglected to state that you ordered a $35 appetizer.

For the most part, I do agree with you that the place is expensive for the portion sizes...but I'm a big eater and there are many very good places that I don't go to because I leave hungry.

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '14

Well MB, one person insinuated I was pretending to be someone I'm not (GC), one person said it was "impossible" that I paid that much unless we ordered enough food "for 4 people" (iJay), which we did not - so it sure seems like people are freaking to me. Seems like they were (for some reason) jumping to defend the restaurant by making accusations that were not only untrue but total assumptions.

I have no problem someone asking for more clarification - but that seems strange to me that people would respond like that even if I WAS "bashing" the place.

I have seen many people "bash" local places that I think are good or I had a good experience with, but I would just state MY experience - not say things like "whoever you are today," or suggest they did something I have no proof they did. Just seems a little over the top to me.

Heidi Heidi
Nov '14

emaxxman... sashimi is expensive, especially Toro and Uni. At 2 pieces per order, it's not hard to rack up the $$$. I also had an Angry Dragon Roll and a Rainbow Roll that were about $15 apiece. It was the most beautiful meal ever... all laid out on my own boat. I felt like Hirohito, lol.

(sniff) Those days are over (sniff)

Now, I'll just get a Philadelphia Roll and put the leftover $82-83 in the kids' college fund...

ianimal ianimal
Nov '14

I hear ya. Just wait till they get older and you have to deal with braces or major repairs on the house. Between braces for two kids, a new roof, and new appliances, I'm in monthly payment hell. It's all been interest free but it sure limits stuff like going out for dinner...if it ain't buffet, it ain't on the menu! LOL.

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '14

Why would anyone even think to ask for 'clarification'? If someone states they ate A,B, & C, why would anyone then inquire as to whether they also ate X,Y, & Z? Most people trying to get their point across are pretty darn clear with no exclusions. You must live and dine in your own little world.

I don't read the forum very much any more, but this gave me a good laugh. One thing will never change, those freaking out, in this case Heidi, always project their freak out onto others. Seems to me that everyone else was pretty darn calm and just stating the facts...WITHOUT omitting anything.

Have a good day, all :)

Lori...Since '73 Lori...Since '73
Nov '14

I don't get all the talk about Mezza House? My family and I were in last Saturday night and the food was simply amazing. We're never rushed when we eat there. The atmosphere is amazing, the food is wonderful, and the service good and to me it seems like the price is always right! We love to bring our own wine.

My family and I were told no sandwiches at dinner time too and that was fine with us. We had kobob dinners, and the platter along with the hummus and baba ghanush! Fabulous! If you want authentic home made Lebanese food, this is the place to go!

localguy2010 localguy2010
Nov '14

I think her main concern was the price versus the amount of food she received, not that she couldn't afford to pay for it. Besides, a 23% tip is hardly extravagant. It's marginally generous, I suppose... but I doubt that Nicholas Cage and Bridget Fonda will be doing a sequel in Heidi's honor any time soon.

ianimal ianimal
Nov '14

Heidi

Being you are 1/4 Lebanese how about cooking for us and invite us to your home at $25.00 a head!

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Nov '14

Head to the Brazilian joint down the street. you will be paying a lot as well but your stomach will be stuffed if you order the Rodizio...

We went to Mezza House tonight for the first time - it was fantastic! The food was amazingly good, and it was such a fun way to eat. 4 adults shared the Mediterranean Sampler, and the largest Mezza sampler, and we had leftovers. I have not had such good food or enjoyed myself so much at a restaurant in a long time. It seems to be very busy on the weekends, but we had the place to ourselves tonight, with the exception of one other customer. If we want these excellent restaurants to stay in Hackettstown, we need to get in there and support them!

Spence Spence
Feb '15

Loved it too--such a great ambience and fantastic food and service. Going to go again soon-thanks for the reminder!

Townies Townies
Feb '15

Great place and owners! Let's support local business

Lvmom Lvmom
Feb '15

Mezza House is FANTASTIC! Awesome food!

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Feb '15

If anyone is ever down in the Easton PA area and wants Mediterranean fare give Daddy's Place a try. Was there Saturday night and the food was delicious. Calico you should see their selection of bottled beer!! Incredible!! Especially for the craft beer lover.

http://daddysplaceeaston.com/

http://www.yelp.com/biz/daddys-place-easton

https://www.facebook.com/DaddysPlace/

Thanks for that, Vic!
Sounds good.

Just heard about Istanbul Turkish in Flanders........ anyone been there?

happiest girl
Nov '15

Thanks Vic. Will check it out.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '15

Yup I've been to Istanbul in Flanders a bunch of times very good food you won't be disappointed.......

Vic: I agree, Daddy's place is excellent; we even had an event catered by them!
Their beer selection is insane!

Need to give a shout out for Mezza House here. We had take-out from there last night and every single dish was outstanding. Grilled shrimp, lamb kebob (DH) - both perfect, and came with some of the most deliciously seasoned rice we've ever had. Their hummus, baba ganoush and tabbouleh are consistently top-notch, so I always order mezzas of them to enjoy over coming days. And the falafel over their special salad - another reason to swoon. Honestly, I've been to the Middle East and North Africa: this food is akin to the best Mediterranean I had while abroad, if not better. I could live on Mezza House's fare, it's so good!

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '15

Exactly. Don't expect a "Bargain" but the quality is A+. Been to Zaytun when they were open and I would classify them as B. Mezza House is the type of restaurant that makes a town great. It is truly a gem...

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.