Gyro Bobs in Stanhope Closed?

Gyro Bobs in Stanhope Closed?

I have passed by this place recently and it looks closed. Have not seen Gyro Bob around town lately. Whats happening with this place.

oldman oldman
Jan '13

looks like it closed...

Brad
Jan '13

The sign on the door says Closed Due to Illness. It's been there for a while. I've wanted to try this place and never got around to it :(

As for the person who's ill, I hope they make a full recovery!

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Jan '13

The cockroaches and the ants bought it!

Snowman
Jan '13

that place looked closed on its best days. But I havnt seen the old guy around lately or even his son. They always had good food. IMO

it's a great truck stop type place. Loved their gyros.

Bryan Bryan
Jan '13

I loved eating there even though it was a little dive. The food was pretty good.

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Jan '13

My husband and I used to stop by The Greasy Spoon, as we called it, frequently when we were dating. The food was decent but I think what made it was the atmosphere. Just a couple of great people, making good food, and good conversation! The family lived in Hope at the time and Bobs wife also worked at the Gas Station in Hope for a while making sandwiches. Would love to see the doors open again!

Cobra Cobra
Jan '13

I guess the Real Estate is worth more than the business!

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Jan '13

My buddy and I where there in January and the old man was there. He doesn't do much of the cooking anymore, but he was usually there sitting in one of the booths nodding off. They always had the best gyros.

Nick78 Nick78
Mar '13

This place will always be "Tasty Family" to me... I used to hang out there during the early 80's with my friends when the old guy "Chris" wasnt nodding off in a booth, but was spry and enjoyed our company and greeted us heartily when we walked through the door.
Not much of a surprised that Gyro Bobs didnt take off.... original home of the Texas Weiner.... feh. I do believe something like that would have had to have started in Texas, no?
I'm just happy to have Tasty Family in my memories as part of my growing up.

Johnee Oxford Johnee Oxford
Mar '13

I hope they reopen...

jack jakorkian jack jakorkian
Jun '13

Hey everybody, don't know if you still use this website, I am the old mans grandson. He recently had a stroke but he is fine, but decided to call it quits at 86. I have always had a passion for culinary and maybe some of you hav even seen me there, however I have a dream to reopen the business, it runs in the family and I'd hate to see it go under, it will be bigger and better than it was before, I am going to culinary school in New York, hope to see you soon!

Mike D Mike D
Dec '14

Sorry to hear about your grandfather. I sincerely hope you get to accomplish your dream. Best of luck.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '14

Mike D, I'm glad that your grandfather is recovering so well. Good luck with your plans!

Definitely echoing Calico's response. Best of luck to both you and your Grandfather!

It would be nice to see the place open again, since I pass it all the time and had stopped by there a number of times to eat until it closed. It would be great to see something new and/or unusual in there perhaps. What type of cuisine are you most interested in, or are you thinking of opening it as "Gyro Bob's" again and mainly keeping the old menu?

Phil D. Phil D.
Dec '14

Probably because the mosque is coming and people are going to go to Taco Bell and have groceries delivered is why this closed.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Dec '14

I'd like to keep most things, obviously the infamous gyro, and some new cuisines I could pick up on at culinary school, I completely agree, the place needs some work, I'd like to keep the original diner theme, but things like "the home of the Texas wiener" even I have no idea where that came from, but yes I will love to add new twists to the menu possibly seafood, thank you all for your support, I realllly hope to succeed in reopening his place, I've spent almost all my child hood there

Mike D Mike D
Dec '14

lol! CraftBeerBob... I think you may be right!!

Mike D--Best of luck to you and your granddad. I'm rarely near Stanhope. I went out there today and discovered that Gyro Bob's was closed. I loved the place. It would be wonderful to see it back open.

Rich M Rich M
Apr '15

Mike,
I grew up in Clifton and basically lived at Hot Grill. The last time I was at Tasty, that's what the food reminded me of. Really good, please bring it back!!!

colleen26 colleen26
Apr '15

Reopen! :)

jack beck jack beck
Jul '15

jack beck, really? I could have sworn it was still closed this weekend when I passed. I'd always wanted to try it, thanks for the info

Jul '15

I will try to swing by and report back.

mansfield mama mansfield mama
Jul '15

I've just seen what looked like many cars "stored" around its parking lot in the am when I went by. I'll have to swing by someday after work to check it out if it is indeed open!

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '15

My interpretation of 'Reopen! :)' was that the poster would like to see it re-opened.

Unless things have greatly changed since last weekend when I drove by, it is going to take a lot of time and work to get it up and running.

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Jul '15

I agree D-ManPV when I went to Shop-Rite last week, signs were down. Place still looked all closed up to me.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jul '15

I agree as well, that's why I said all I saw have been cars stored there & the reopening sign no longer up. Sad to see if they aren't able to reopen it.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '15

Ahhh, maybe that's it. Too much vagueness in posting lately, LOL

Jul '15

I belive the cars parked there are overflow fro the repair shop on the property next door.

Steven Steven
Jul '15

Chris dimitriou "gyro bob" passes away on September 5th at his home in byram.

Chris D Chris D
Sep '15

Chris D. Thank you for posting this. Sorry to hear that he passed away. Only ate there twice but wished I had eaten there more often.

mansfield mama mansfield mama
Sep '15

Chris D.

Sorry to hear that as well. My condolences to all his friends and family.

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '15

So sad to hear about the old man's passing. What a NJ gem! I love these hole in the wall places - good food, hard working owners, great atmosphere. Glad I enjoyed the fab food and great memories.

Sabete Sabete
May '16

Just as a side note: When I checked my mail just a few minutes ago, I received a notice that the asking price for Gyro Bob's went down about $20,000 to $170,000, so if anybody such as a mobile food vendor is thinking about opening a brick and mortar place, you may wish to look into it. It would be nice to see a good food place open up there again, especially since it's on one of my possible routes home from work!

Phil D. Phil D.
May '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.