Butler's Park in Lebanon Township

I have been looking for the location of Butler's Park to see if any photographs of it can be taken, if anything is left. I am wondering if anyone knows the address (as specific as possible) of the old park. It has eluded me thoroughly and want to see if anyone here knows about it.

Thrakerzad Thrakerzad
Jan '13

Re: Butler's Park in Lebanon Township

It was just across the Butlers Park bridge over the Musconetcong river. It closed many years ago.The park had some amusement rides and a small riverboat ride.The beach on the river is still there. I have 2 pictures, this first one is of the merry-go-round.

oldman oldman
Jan '13

Here is a picture of the boat ride that they had on the river. I remember the park was still open without rides back in the late 1970s

oldman oldman
Jan '13

If you type butler park in the search bar you'll find a couple of threads with references to the park. Here's one:

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/137070#t137130

If you go to Anderson Road off of Rte 57 and continue to Butler's Park Road on the left, I think the park was down in that area by the bridge. Part of it is acrossed from the very small fire department building they have there.

Thank you all for the answers, this has been helpful!

Thrakerzad Thrakerzad
Jan '13

I used to go threr when i was youmger, lin the 60's. Was just thinkin anout the place and wondering if it was still around I

promano50 promano50
Sep '15

I was raised there, from 1950-68. The park was my first paying job. Al Singley (married to a Butler, who went on to own the Villa Roller Rink in Broadway) owned it when I was little. It was then sold to the Longo's. Coming down Butler Park Rd, you go down a hill and have a sharp left turn. From that point until the firehouse was a ball field/parking area. Looking from Warren County, at the curve, the park was to the right. There was a foot bridge over the river that led into the park. There was a snack bar/dance floor to the South end of the property, with cabins and arcade behind it. The only rides that I remember were the Merry-go-round (which I got good at getting on & off while moving), big swings that you had to pull ropes to get moving, and rowboats. I was in charge of the rowboats during the weekend and did clean-up during the week. Prior to me, there was a small steamboat that ran around an island. I believe that there was at one time some sort of amusement on the island, but don't know what it was. There was also a racetrack on the Warren side of the river. Don't know if it was ever used, other than us kids racing our bicycles around it. There was also a couple of pavillions for picnics.

Bob Cruts Bob Cruts
Sep '15

The Castner Family reunion was held there every August for about 40 years. The last time I was there circa 1973 or so the big swings, which were shaped like boats were gone, someone with the park told me they had been sold to someone in Florida. I remember the rowboats and the snack bar and at one point they had a mini rollercoaster on metal tracks. There was also an old bridge across the river built in the late 1890's.

Pat Harris Pat Harris
Oct '15

My dad,Bob Goldsack, bought the park in the early 70s'. I remember being 3 or 4 and supervising the little ducks in water and drinking orange soda and eating Lorna Dunnes.

Keith Goldsack Keith Goldsack
Oct '16

I purchased a home down river in the mid 1980's. We would float in tubes from just up river, past Butler's Park, and down to my place in Changewater. At that time, some remains of the park were still there, overgrown with weeds but obviously once active. I thought it would be very intriguing photogenically, and would make a great piece for Weird NJ. Alas, at some point all artifacts were removed, and the moment was lost....

Bob Vogt Bob Vogt
May '17

Sounds like a wonderful place , I see many fond memory's about Butlers Park's past. Pretty interesting time and place in N.J,
Much simpler times!

`The Church of the Immaculate Conception was located on Halstead Street in Clinton when my family attended in the 50's and 60's.
Our church picnics were held at Butler Park.
We took rowboats out on the river and enjoyed the beauty of that charming little spot on the river.

The Carousel is preserved and is in operation. Carousel Village, Route 413, Wrightstown, Pa. It is on Facebook. There was a historical plaque.

Larry Ries Larry Ries
Apr '18

Just rode through there today...a whole different world! Hard to believe this is in New Jersey! But there are many more such hidden treasures in this part of the state...I just love exploring these hidden gems! :)

Tony D. Tony D.
Sep '18

I went there most summers with my brother we were from massachusetts, and the longo's were my aunt and uncle we spent all summer there

ron mariano ron mariano
Sep '19

I remember the swings... My Mom and Dad took my brother and I there. Such simpler times and beautiful peaceful memories. My Dad is gone now and my Mom is 95. Wish it still existed but like so many parks they have closed for more sophisticated and larger amusements. Happy for the memories❤️

Kathleen Thompson Kathleen Thompson
Nov '19

Recently, I went on a s p o n t a n e o u s quest to find this park.....Now, I will be planning a trip for next time to actually visit.

Terri Reed Terri Reed
Dec '19

I live right along the river. There are still old concrete slabs from where people used to get on and off the steamboat. There are also old foundations, one that I think was probably from the merry go round. The river has become much to shallow for any steamboats, but there are still spots where you can tell that there used to be one. The geese have taken over all of the islands, but my elderly neighbor claims that at one point they had an elephant that bathed in the river. I am not sure if it was just a traveling attraction or if it was long term, but she said she saw it. The racing track is now just a gravel road, and the ball field someone’s yard. However, until just a few years ago, the people who lived there would have annual softball games. They were an elderly couple, so it is possible that they were keeping up the tradition. There is a seesaw there now, but it is much to old to use. However, selling lemonade and seesawing at the ballgames is something that I look back on with a smile. The old bridge fell and was rebuilt, but prices of it are scattered up and down the river. One of them creates a hidden island and pool that my friends love to swim in. You can still find a lot of old junk in the river, including a marble my father found that seems to date back to at least the fifties. The most exciting thing now, however, is a white goose named Lady Gaga. My sister and I want to build a rope swing to kind of bring back the memory of the old place, over one of the channels from the steamboat. I will attach some pictures later.

Sophie Picone, 14 Sophie Picone, 14
Apr '20

Sophie Picone, 14

If 14 is actually your age, then I have to compliment you on your writing. I'm sure you meant "pieces", rather than "prices" and likely had an autocorrect typo at that point, but you write more clearly than most, myself included. Thank you for the updated and interesting description of the property!

Phil D. Phil D.
Apr '20

In the 50s my dad built the race track in Butler's Park for the race cars he built. It was an amusement attraction, not official race cars.

Bernadette Terpstra Bernadette Terpstra
Jun '20

My wife and I recently moved to Butler Park section. I am in intrigued by all the history here and am learning a lot from all the wonderful surrounding neighbors. I would love to learn more information and even view pictures of this area in the past. We would be willing to speak to anyone who would be kind enough to give us insight. We also have river front property that I'm curious about as well. Thanks in advance!

J Filgueiras J Filgueiras
Jul '20

My brothers and I grew up right across the River up on the hill!It was the best time and the greatest place!The circus came there and we caught a bunch of the circus workers skinny dipping in the river!Lol in 1976 I was paid .25 cents a day to dress up like Yankee Doodle dandy with the three point hat and the nickers when the park had people in it!We would play pinball in the pavilion and ride the swings and float down the river!It was awesome

Jimmy Cleaver Jimmy Cleaver
Aug '21

I was going through an old photo album and came across a photo of my mother, her sister and two friends at Butler's Park in 1939-40.

Jim Radomski Jim Radomski
Aug '21

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.