Santinos Closed because of No Water

Any know if Santinos fixed the water situation yet. They have been closed all week . Want to get some pizza for late game from there.

Steve-0 Steve-0
Jan '13

I would simply give them a call. 908 813 3100

I did that but when I called I got no answer. I thought maybe they were very busy or not there. Just wanted to see if any one had any info....

Steve-0 Steve-0
Jan '13

Follow them on FB and she will tell you when they are open again. I did see someone (just one car) there on Friday and again on saturday. So hopefully they are working on it

Just Asking Just Asking
Jan '13

Passed by there yesterday and the closed sign was in front.

Bessie Bessie
Jan '13

Passed by this morning and the closed sign was still outside.

Aaeadena Aaeadena
Jan '13

Where is santinos?

hector
Jan '13

I drove down there. No water is the story closed until further notice.

Steve-0 Steve-0
Jan '13

Thats what Crystal Swan said too.

MikeL MikeL
Jan '13

We love Santino's!!!!! Please let it open again real soon!!!!!!!!!

lsricc lsricc
Jan '13

Where is Santino's??

copygirl copygirl
Jan '13

Rt 57 Mansfield, just past Stephensburg. Use to be the mediterrian place.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Jan '13

The hours of that place are so inconsistent. Thats no way to run a business! If you have a water problem you get it fixed and open as soon as possible. Everyday you are closed you are losing money. They could have established themselves and really gave the rest of the crappy pizza in this town a run for their money, but when you have to rely on facebook post to see what days and hours they are open every week it gets frustrating. If there is anything that will kill a restaurant business fast it's inconsistency. Fix it or sell it!!!!

Painkiller
Jan '13

Well said...anyone want to start a business?

Yep. Still Closed.

Steve-0 Steve-0
Jan '13

They probably went broke.

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Jan '13

I heard it was haunted with a hessian soldier from the revolutionary war.

vous
Jan '13

Pretty disappointing. My boyfriend and I drove by last week and I said how we should go there for dinner. Hmmm....guess not.

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Jan '13

No business makes it there. A odd spot for any kind of restaurant. Hopefully I'am wrong and they will be back up and running soon.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Jan '13

I hope they can get it together and succeed.

Haven't seen any advertising by them. How are people suppose to know they are there?

copygirl copygirl
Jan '13

There pizza & tomato pies were disappointing.
Didn't get a chance to try anything else.

MikeL MikeL
Jan '13

I liked their Pizza. Very easy for me to get to. Their Eggplant and Chicken Parm is one word...AMAZING. Hope they open soon for Valentine's Day!!!!

Just Asking Just Asking
Jan '13

We had dinner there with my parents recently and it was great. They are a lovely family owned restaurant, very excited to serve this community. The food was delicious, too. I wish them luck and hope they get their doors open again soon.

Tracy Tracy
Jan '13

Oh I Hope they do open again!! They had the best Eggplant I have ever tasted! From the soups to the main course you can tell this was true authentic Italian cooking!! All from scratch! I have been there numerous times with my family and every time it was just AMAZING!! Obviously, you cannot operate without water!! So lets hope they either fix the problem or relocate!! I wish them nothing but the best!! Im sure we will all be on the lookout for SANTINOS!!!! God Bless!!

Happy Customer
Jan '13

Seems very strange that the "water problem" hasn't been fixed in two weeks.

kb2755 kb2755
Jan '13

How come they still don't have water?
they had time to put new plumbing for the whole place....
do they get water from Italy?

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
Jan '13

BEG,

Talk about authentic!

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Jan '13

Maybe their well ran dry.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Jan '13

We ate at Santino's a couple of times and it was amazing! It would be such a shame if they didn't reopen. I am checking on their status constantly. I'm sure that we would all appreciate it if when anyone hears that their doors are open to post it here on HL as quickly as possible. Thanks and I'm hoping for the best....'cause their food and service was the best!!!!

lsricc lsricc
Jan '13

I hope they reopen soon - I know someone who wants to try the eggplant.

Wendy Wendy
Jan '13

Went by today, still closed due to no water. Not sure what the deal is, but I know houses in that area are on a shared well. That business is part of that little group. I hope what ever the issue is, they get it fixed soon. So hard to start a business, let alone be completely closed down so shortly after opening.

nonny nonny
Jan '13

Live right up the road from them and we are not on a shared well. Hope they open soon. Would like to try their pizza.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Jan '13

it really sucks to close down for one or two days....but weeks can kill a business...

Jan '13

I hope they get it fixed. We went around christmas time. Eggplant Rollantini was great. As was the service. Prices were very fair.

My wife's uncle lives across the river from them. He says his water has been brown and unusable for a couple weeks. They do have a shared spring in that area.

MB21
Jan '13

Thats Washington Township, correct MB21? Across from the restaurant, on Rt 57, (PM) the houses have wells, but they are not shared. Havent had any problems with our water.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Jan '13

Yea across the river is Washington Township. I think my wife's uncle said Santino's water is on the same spring he is. Could explain them not having water or being able to use it since his is unusable too.

MB21
Jan '13

I hope they are able to open again. My hubby and I went a while back and the sauce was really really really good. He had the lasagna and the tiramisu, I had eggplant rollantine and a cannoli. The funniest part of the evening was the waitress bringing us the wrong check - we switched it with the correct table - and then she brought them back my card. It was funny because she owned up to it right away and we got to interact a little bit with a great couple we would have never said hello to otherwise. We are looking forward to going back!

10yrtownie 10yrtownie
Jan '13

botheredbyu
You must be new in town. That site before it was sold was Cliffdale Inn, owned and operated by the same family from 1961 until they retired and sold in 2008. They had a liquor license and great steaks. We had good times there, knowing whenever you went for dinner you would always meet up with friends.

L.L., We enjoyed dinner at Cliffdale Inn many times over the years. The steaks were wonderful as were their other dishes. We still miss Cliffdale!

MrsPipes MrsPipes
Feb '13

Nope, sorry L.L. I have lived in Mansfield for over 20 years. The owner of Cliffdales daughter was a teacher at Mansfield Elem. and my son had her as a teacher. All I'am saying is, I live not too far up the road from the restaurant and we have a well and its not a shared well. All my neighbors also dont share a well.

MB21 said his uncle lives across the river from the restaurant. All I said was that that is Washington Twsp. So dont know why you would think I'm new in town.

@MB21-Hope your uncle gets his water fixed. It must be hard living with no water.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Feb '13

botheredbyu - I think LL is referring to your post above -

"No business makes it there. A odd spot for any kind of restaurant..."

- botheredbyu

A very good friend of mine lived across the street from there for over 30 years. Their house and a few others, which included that business, as well as a few homes on the other side of the river were on a private water system. Maybe shared well was not the right term to use. In the past there have been other times there was problems with the water quality.

nonny nonny
Feb '13

BLD - you are probably right, but look at what happened to the Cassia Grill. It is an odd place for a restaurant. JMO!

Private water system? Explain? Thanks

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Feb '13

They are typically called a community well. They can have a few homes or buildings or as many as two dozen. For example my MIL is on a 19 home community well in Hopatcong. The home owners on the well own it and have an association to administer it. They are common.

botheredbyu, i sent this link to my friend. she can explain how that whole water system worked to you.

nonny nonny
Feb '13

yes, what Greg just said is exactly the type of system that is in place there. that business is part of it.

nonny nonny
Feb '13

But the restaurant stands alone on that side of street, so what you are saying is it shares a well with the houses across the river in Washington Twsp. like MB21 uncle?
Odd.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Feb '13

The water system from across the river does connect to the restaurant, but they had to put in their own well some time ago--in the 70s, I think. The old owners continued to pay the association dues out of good will, but the place has run on its own well for many years.

bullseye
Feb '13

Just to clarify on the water problem: The building does not have its own well. The water is piped under the river from behind the building (Morris County) from a shared well with 33 other homes. The building is the only one on 57 with this problem. The water is not potable. The owners are not aware of any other well and have been using water thru the shared water source. They are going to look into this and see if there is another way they can get water that is up to standards. Kudos to the owners who decided to do the right thing despite the loss of income and stop operating. There are many shady people who might have stayed open and not cared about what was right or what could have happened to their friends and customers by using water that was not potable. They are doing everything in their power to get this problem solved - However they are meeting with resistance by the people who are responsible for the problem to begin with. This is a locally run family business and they have put many hard hours of labor and love into the restaurant not to mention a ton of money. They could have opened their business anywhere but chose to give back to the community they live in. If anyone knows of a way to help them please email or message me. You may also call them and talk to them if you would like to know the facts and not listen to rumor or speculation - Thats what I did and I must say I was surprised at their openness and honesty!

Reanie525i Reanie525i
Feb '13

I would like to clarify one thing - The family that opened and owns the business leases the building and they are tenants of the property and can only do so much as such. They are doing everything in their power to have this problem solved but as they dont own the property they cant solve this on their own no matter how hard they want to. I hope someone can help - I really love Santino's and hope this resolves soon. The food is much better then any other place around. In fact I would pass by 7 other closer Italian places to go eat there! The owners and service staff really cared about the customers and the quality of both were exceptional. Best Eggplant Rollantini ever!! Also I loved the fact that the owner would take the time to go around to each and every table to talk to customers and to ensure all was well.

Reanie525i Reanie525i
Feb '13

So the owners prior to them used water that was not potable? Did they know about the water before they opened their business?

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Feb '13

Nay botheredbyu they waited till the board of health must have shut them down.

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Feb '13

I have one word......LAYWER.

I wish them luck.

Christine Christine
Feb '13

Hope they had an inspection before buying it, or its their own fault if now they are having problems. I dont wish it on anyone. Hope they open soon, because I want to try their pizza.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Feb '13

botheredbyu, read Reanie525i's post.

"The family that opened and owns the business leases the building and they are tenants of the property and can only do so much as such."

Not sure how commercial businesses operate, but I have rented in the past and never ordered a water test before I signed a lease.

I am not a sue happy person, but this is total loss of business - I would think that this is grounds for a lawsuit if the place was rented under the assumption that a restaurant was going to be run from there.

Natalie Natalie
Feb '13

botheredbyu...

There are 3 homes and the restaurant that are part of Cliffdale Park Water Association
on the Warren County side....My home was the last home to be part of the Association....I lived there for 30 years before moving 2 1/2 years ago...The water line runs under and across the river. There is a lead off the main water line to the restaurant ...The water line then runs under the small bridge and then leads come off the main line to the home, right of the brook and the 2 homes left of the brook....The county/state will not allow ANY of the homes to drill a well, stating that if the homes have access to water within 200 feet of a water line they MUST use that ....We had problems with the water system 5 years or so ago but the water lines were all replaced on the morris county side and all was running fine at the time that I moved...I do know they were discussing a new pump house, but whatever happend with that I have no idea....Anyway, hopefully it is not something major but from the sounds of it being closed for 2 weeks doesnt sound like a minor problem. UNLESS it has something to do with the owners not willing to pay for repairs....Hard to say....

Bronco Fan Bronco Fan
Feb '13

I thought the state owned that building??? I hope they open soon. They had sooo many issues, I am sure its got to be heartbreaking for them.

Just Asking Just Asking
Feb '13

The official owner of the property is the Heritage Conservancy. It's a PA group for open space and conservation, particularly in the area of water ways.

http://www.heritageconservancy.org/lasting-landscapes/musconetcong-river-valley/

Being very familiar with real estate sales I can assure you that before a business is sold they have every inspection possible. Also any water association is constantly being tested by the county and state. Knowing someone who is on that system on the Morris County side the problem is "at times" there is some discoloration in the water when you first turn it on due to a higher iron content (no health threat) and the Cliffdale Park Water Association is working to correct the problem.

So L.L. Maybe the water issue is an excuse to get out of the lease.

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Feb '13

LL, was there a business sale and purchase? Or did the old place go out of business and the property just rented by Santinos to open a new business? In that case would water be tested in a rental agreement?

Natalie Natalie
Feb '13

Thanks Bronco Fan.

Just wondering why Cassia Grill never had this problem.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Feb '13

Cassia Grill rented the space. I do remember on one occasion, Cassia had to use bottled water for all of their cooking and served the customers bottled water. I would imagine for Cassia Grill, where boiling pasta is not a major requirement, could handle a water shortage much more easily.

FWIW, my wife and I went to Santinos the first Friday they were open. The service was chaotic but that is not unexpected for the first weekend of a new restaurant. In fact, the parking lot was so packed, some cars were double parked. We thought the pizza was good with a nice hearty but still crispy crust. Flavor was good too. My son got the chicken parm. Chicken was slightly overcooked but the food tasted very good.

We do plan on going back again at some point and would recommend everyone give the place a shot. I would consider the place one of the better casual Italian restaurants, eg Mama's, Enzo's, etc. I would not consider it fine Italian dining, eg La Strada, Eccola - just to give folks an idea of the place. Also, the waitress, an older woman, was very nice and I thought she did a great job taking care of us considering the situation.

Let's hope they get this water problem fixed. Regardless of how the wife/owner came off in the original thread about Santinos here, this is still the livelihood of a family that is in jeopardy here.

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '13

Hi Natalie
Cliffdale Inn was sold to the Heritage Conservancy with no problems. I do know they used the building for meetings and functions for two years before another restaurant came in. However,after that I don't know any specifics. I do know from the person that lives there on the Morris County side that the system is always being tested like any other public water. Perhaps, the problem was short lived because with all those houses and a restaurant on that system if the water was not potable I can assure you every county and state agency would br involved.

I will definitely try them when they reopen and I really hope they are better then Mama's and Enzos. Dont care for them.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Feb '13

Cliffside Park Association has had a problem with the water for several years. I purchased my home over 8 years ago and at the time of inspection the water met state standards. The water here is not potable and very dirty. I recently contacted the Washington Township Board of Health and my attorney because of this situation. My home needs a clean out installed as I receive the worst of the water before any of the other residents. In late November and early December coliform was found in the water and residents were NOT informed.

Deb D. Deb D.
Feb '13

Try Decola's for pizza and the best cheese steak's in the area.

Any updates when (or if) this great place is opening?

lsricc lsricc
Feb '13

There were cars in the parking lot Saturday afternoon. The sign that was near the road was gone, but that could be because of snow. I could see a sign in the side door when I looked in my rear view window. If you call, you may get an answer now.

Maja I saw that too

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Feb '13

Decola's has the best pizza too

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Feb '13

Santinos sign is gone

vous
Mar '13

That sucks, alot of work to open for nothing. They had good stuff.

I saw some work trucks there the other day, but didnt know what they were doing. Such a shame if they had to closed down completely because of the water issue. I'm thinking why the inspection didnt catch a problem and if the owners prior has problems with the water.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Mar '13

There has to be more to this story. If the well is not their responsibility, I can't see them just walking away from this after only a few weeks. I drive by it daily. It was alway busy. Someone is getting sued or screwed out of a lot of money for sure.

Emaxxman Emaxxman
Mar '13

Looks like their Facebook page is gone too. What a shame.

Tracy Tracy
Mar '13

I have driven by that place a few times in the last few weeks, two of the times I saw a truck there and hauling stuff away!

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Mar '13

Sounds like it was more than a water problem. I would think if it was, the business would make it a point to let the public know what their plans are so they could keep the customers informed.

Aaeadena Aaeadena
Mar '13

Too bad they can't relocate to the Ocino's site.

Maja, That would be a great idea.

mansfield mama mansfield mama
Mar '13

I still dream about Ocino's white clam pizza from time to time...

ianimal ianimal
Mar '13

where was Ocino's?

don't remember
Mar '13

That white clam pizza was awesome. Sigh....

Ocino's is/was located on 31 just north of Shop Rite.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '13

On rt 31 South before the BK in Washington.

Mar '13

I peeked in the window today and everything is gone. Hope someone can make this place work.

Mar '13

Can't make a place work without water

If it was truly about no water, I would have had a tanker truck with potable water onside. The legal issues could be worked out in court while the business stays open. This doesn't make sense.

Emaxxman Emaxxman
Mar '13

No it does not.

Mar '13

Get over it they went Busted!!! Period! Move on with your lives.

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Mar '13

I hate to see them fail but the food was B-A-D. We went twice. Pizza was bad the first time. Thought we'd give 'em a 2nd shot. Tomato pie was disgusting, calzone had raw peppers & onions in it & the chicken was like cardboard. Really bad...Better they cut their loses....

23Marango 23Marango
Mar '13

I know this thread is a bit old but I felt the need to give my 2 cents. I was quite excited to see this new restaurant move in to the old Cliffdale's location. I loved Cliffdale's very much. It was a great place to eat! I heard great things about Santinos and I looked forward to my first meal there. Unfortunately, they were closed before I could make it.

As a business owner who leases space from someone, I think it's a travesty that this family has lost everything they have due to a problem that should have been corrected by the landlord. I think the Heritage Conservancy should explain why they didn't solve the problem and why they allowed this small business to fold. What exactly do they conserve? There are always 3 sides to a story. I certainly hope IF the Heritage Conservancy is responsible, Santino's sues the crap out of them. I don't know the restaurant owners personally but I feel for them greatly. I dont know how Jeff Marshall can sleep at night. What comes around goes around.

I hope the owners find a new place to open.

Dan Rossi Dan Rossi
May '13

that is terrible

Kimber Kimber
May '13

Re: Santinos Closed because of No Water

This is the water that comes from this building everyone is talking about... Would you drink it?....

Gianna L. Gianna L.
Jul '13

Yummy

Is anyone else connected to this well? I heard they are digging a new one...

SavingAngels SavingAngels
Jul '13

Noticed a new porch on the front of the former Cassia Grill/Santino's. Anyone know what's up? Could it be reopening?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '15

they have been working in it for a while.
don't know anything.

Aug '15

I live close by to this place. I have heard its going to be a burger place. I drove by and it looked like it had a self serve coffee station so maybe a deli/breakfast/lunch place.

englishe30 englishe30
Sep '15

Thanks for the update.

Sep '15

I hope the have beer!!!!

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Sep '15

Burger place would be cool. Is it going to be like a 5 guys?

hot under the collar
Sep '15

There will be no beer, no liquor license.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '15

No beer. No Bob.

Sep '15

I'm with you Bob.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '15

Redzee Redzee
Nov '15

Wonder when it will open?

Nov '15

new meaning to the term dirty water dog

Re: Santinos Closed because of No Water

New spokesman already selected for their commercials.

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '15

Good one emaxx, lol.

kb2755 kb2755
Nov '15

Looks like a sign was put up in front of the place. The sign is blank or covered so I could not tell but something is going in there.

Jan '16

The new place is opened now "Willies Wieners".

Dadof3
Apr '16

When Santino's was in business, my husband and I LOVED their food. Anyone know if they reopened somewhere else?

behappydaily behappydaily
Apr '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.