IT University Online - Cisco Training

Was wondering if anyone has heard of the online training program through IT University Online. I just received a Groupon deal for online Cisco training for $99.00 (normally $3295.00). I did a quick search online and most of what I found was others like me questioning this Groupon deal. Haven't had much time to really dig deep and see what this is about. Anyway the deal is still on for 2 more days. Was wondering if any Cisco certified folks had any feedback on this. I have been entertaining the idea of going back to school for a degree in networking. A friend of mine gave me a 1000 page book as well as a Cisco router I could practice with. I believe I learn better in a classroom enviroment as opposed to going through a book and experimenting. I felt for $99.00 it may give me a better idea of what the whole certification is about. Below is the information from the deal.

$99 for a Complete Cisco Network Training Bundle ($3,295 Value)

The Complete Cisco Network Training Bundle includes five training courses designed to provide the skills needed for the CCNA and CCNP suite of certifications. Each bundle includes instructor-led training, hands-on exercises, multimedia presentations, and exam simulators.

IT University Online

In order to keep IT professionals ahead in the digital world, IT University Online cultivates instructor-led training courses in the latest programs and operating systems. The online school bypasses the milk-chugging contests and pop-culture courses of traditional universities, and focuses instead on material that is relevant to the current job market. Courses include Microsoft Office, Windows, Cisco, Oracle, (ISC)2, EXIN, ISACA, and ENG4002: Source Code Poetry.

M & K M & K
Jan '13

It won't get you through Cisco. It might be worth $99 only for the fact it's not a lot of money. Anything more and it would be a clear waste. Cisco is one of the few programs where you can expect a bunch of curves that will simulate the real world and no on-line program will prepare for that. They're one of the few that have both written and practical tests.

Oracle and anything Microsoft is a joke, just pay $ and anyone gets a certificate. People in the industry ignore that training so save your money. Cisco is not the same

Thanks for the feedback GC. I was thinking because it was so cheap that it may give me an idea of whether or not it is something I would be interested in persuing at a college level. I figured even if I took the course and somehow were able to pass the Cisco exam, I still wouldn't have the confidence to go out and start applying for jobs in the field. Was just thinking $99.00 may give me a better idea of what to expect.

Do you think an associates in networking from a place like County College of Morris provide you with enough of an understanding to come out and get certified or do you think it's something you would only get with training plus on the job experience?

Again I'm just kicking around the idea. Previously I was working in IT support and left the IT world several years ago. Kind of regretting my decision at times and looking for a way to get back in.

M & K M & K
Jan '13

gc is right as rain once again,

the CISCO certs are still recognized as significant by hiring managers because they are hard to get

CISCO has steadfastly updated and refreshed the criteria year over year.

particularly in the areas if ipv6.

and yes, MCCC has (or did have) a direct relationship with the CISCO Engineering Academy and has college level courses that yield college level credits for CISCO engineering technology that is accredited by the CISCO Academy. that's pretty cool.

in other words there is a legitimate college curriculum at Morris County that is geared towards CISCO certification.

I earned a CISCO Engineering Certificate there. 4 college level classes (that's a full semester of continuing learning) (luckily i was able to maintain a straight 'A' average) You still have to take the tests in order to claim you are CCNA, CCNP or CCISP

check it out, they have a class room/lab set up down in Motown in the tower

the Microsoft certs have fallen in significance because so many thousands MCSE's have been issued that they are almost meaningless. this is because some of the big off-shoring consultant houses in India (like the Tata Congolmerate for one) have actually published the answer keys for the MS certs that are currently in circulation. MS likes to say they 'randomize' the tests over time and in different geographic zones, but at the end of the day there is a finite number of questions for each exam number that gets documented and cheat-sheets are subsequently produced and distributed. this activity has really hurt the reputation and the cache' of saying you are an MSCE with a resultant drop in salaries offered as a direct result of the cheatng and cheapening of these certs.

that's a shame

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jan '13

Cheap MS certs are not a shame, they have little value because of what they are. You have kept the answers a secret and nothing would change. They're a joke because they teach nothing but a parody of answers.

M&K - You will not learn if it's a career you want by paying $99. Go to Cisco and discuss it with them, or colleges of your choice. It's not just the tests, but what network designers do for a living. No test is going to teach you what to do if the power goes out during the middle of your exam, or what to do if you're given faulty or outdated equipment that will not perform the tasks on your test. Part of the test is knowing what to do about that, and Cisco has been known to do those things and more.

M&K - The reason why you didnt come to me about this question would be...............

Just Asking Just Asking
Jan '13

Just Asking - The reason I didnt come to you about this question would be...I was afraid you would give me bad info for all the harrasment I give you on FB. Plus I thought when I talked to you about jobs at Cisco you asked me if I would be willing to relocate my family to India.

Brotherdog I may PM you for more info on CCM when I get some free time if thats alright with you. I originally went to Dover Business College in 94 and did really well (they actually called me back a few months after graduation and asked if I wanted to come back and possibly do some teaching). Makes me question the education I received there because I didn't feel I was ready for something like that. I worked for a company that encouraged going to school and they would pay the whole bill as long as you maintained a certain GPA. They also were very big in allowing you to shadow other departments. Two great opportunities that I didn't take advantage of. Unfortunately my position relocated to NY and the commute would have been too long and my wife didn't want to relocate, so I left the company. I really liked the IT world and if I decide to go back I want to make sure I choose a path that most likely won't get shipped overseas.

M & K M & K
Jan '13

I think the online version is fine if all you are doing is updating your certifications but if you are a newby classroom is best

halo
Jan '13

I know a few people who have purchased this $99 course and they said it was good for the cost. If you looking to determine if networking is the right path for you then I'd say its worth the money. I would spend the money on this program prior to going to CCM as if you can't subnet, then there is no point being in networking. But if you like it then the CCM program is excellent.

I would says that any IT job has the potential to get outsourced, but if you're good at what you do then you wont have any issue finding work. Cisco CCIE's typically start at $150K a year.

sack
Jan '13

"They're a joke because they teach nothing but a parody of answers."

this is very true, how many MS certifed IT pros have we met who could not troubleshoot their way out of a paper bag. it's scary.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jan '13

M&K - I, too, have been thinking of taking that $99 course but I think I'm going to go against it. Feel free to PM me but I am actually planning to take the Network certificate at Raritan CC because I now live in Somerset County and I know for a fact that they have a relationship with Cisco Academy. I think CCM has something similar so might be worth investigating.

I went to CCM in 2003 for Business Administration and again in 2010 for Computer Science. Just finished the Computer Science program last month. CCM is a great "starter school" to get your feet wet. The Computer Science program was challenging enough but the college as a whole is a joke if you're someone with a half-a-brain. You can do well just by showing up, studying the night before an exam (most Professors allow you to bring in a sheet of notes), participating in class, and just attempting the assignments.

You can expect to get an entry level job out of CCM but the one thing I didn't like about the Computer Science program is that I felt like they only applied it to Real World applications very seldom. I actually got into an argument with one of my Professors who was designing a "java class" for attributes of a penguin. I said to him, when in the hell are we ever going to have to program java for penguins. Can we do something more realistic that would be expected at a company?

You might also want to check out Udacity.com which is free, online education but I don't think they have anything for Networking. Nothing will replace hands-on / On-The-Job learning though.

JA - do you work for Cisco?

Computer Sharp Computer Sharp
Jan '13

I purchased this through groupon as well. It's a good supplement to training, but it's definitely not a primary source of training. Most of it is just summary and overviews.
However, the reviews and the practice tests do make it worth the $99 in my opinion.

Walter Walter
Jan '13

I'll have to PM you later tonight computer sharp. I'm interested in hearing about your experience there. I think i am going to pass on the Groupon deal as well. One of the reviews I saw for the school was the persons employer cut off access to their site because they were picking up virus' and malware. I am basically looking for something that will get my foot in the door somewhere (don't need to make a ton of money since we are fine on just my wife's salary). Hopefully if all goes well I can find another employer who likes to pay for education.

M & K M & K
Jan '13

"java for penguins" - You don't do Linux do you C#??? ;-)

By the way - ESU in PA has a whole degree in computer network security. If you want really specialized in an area you need the whole Cisco net work design knowledge just to start the course work.

As far as career advice - there is no silver bullet. You can't pay a couple of $ and figure you can get some piece of paper that gets you a new job. That's exactly why MS certs fail. Instead, talk to people, network, find the company. Then take their advice of how to get there. Chances are you find the right contacts, you don't need any education, it will be provided. It's not about education that means nothing, it's about real world problem solving. Fix a real world problem and you're worth your weight in gold even if it's an ugly solution. Talk a good game but fix nothing and you're going no where. That's why Cisco programs work - they have a whole practical aspect you can't fudge.

got your message M & K :

see below for comments/answers:

• I see CCM offers a Degree in Networking, or a Certificate in Routing
(CISCO CCNA). Which did you go with?

Routing engineering cert

• When did you go?

about 9 years ago

• Were you able to take any of the classes online?

no

• I am a Sussex County resident so if I went to CCM I would be charged out
of county rates. Do you know off hand if I can take any of the courses
that are offered at Sussex County Community college (i.e. English Comp 1
and 2) and put towards a degree at CCM?

not sure about any of this

• I thought I heard if your county does not offer a certain course you
could attend another county at the in county rate. Have you heard anything
about that?

sorry, i do not know the answer to this.

• Did you have any Networking experience prior to attending CCM?

yes

• What did you do prior to going to college

IT for many years, and i went when i was in mid-life, for revamping my IT career

• I’m assuming since you got the certificates, you felt CCM provided a
solid enough education to prepare you for it?

yes, absolutely

• Did you go Full or Part Time? I‘d really like to go Full Time and take a
winter course and summer courses. I’m not getting any younger and I want
to get it completed as quick as possible.

well i hear that big time!, yes it was four courses, a full time semester, class were held three days a week. I was between career moves and thought this would help, (it did)

• How many hours a week between classes / homework did you spend on
average?

there was a lot of lab work, as GC correctly stated, this is a hands on program, lots of book work, lots of lab work and lots of troubleshooting.

• Once you graduated did you have any problems finding work?

no,

you also wrote:

"I know GC’s advice is network and find the right contacts and get into the
company and they will provide you the education. I really believe without
a college degree most companies now won’t even look at you. There are too
many people with degrees out of work to choose from. I know my brother
works for a larger company and posted an open position. I believe he said
80 + people applied and HR gave my brother 4 people to choose from. The
other 76 never even had a chance or even an interview."

this is a sad thing, and so true, yes, it is hard to get hired now, typically any job that gets posted gets responded to by hundreds of applicants. a well constructed resume that has the right buzz words on it will get flagged by the search engine and then reviewed by a real human being, it is hit or miss if you ever get a call or get acknowledged.

still, we have to get in the batters box of life and swing that bat.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jan '13

That's not true about most companies, just the huge Fortune 100's. Sure they have HR departments where they're not even doing their own hiring. That's just the wrong type of company to be looking at. That's also the wrong process - network, get someone who wants you, and they will find any way they can to get you in. Networking as a career move isn't for getting into big companies, it's getting into smaller and mid range ones. They're the places that are hiring now anyway.

Thanks for the feedback brotherdog. I agree with what you said about the resume being altered for every posting. In 1994 I had one resume and it went out to each company....nowadays each one gets their own special résumé to meet the key words on the posting.

I agree with you GC as far as networking to get into the small or mid sized businesses. I guess I would hope to get back into a large company. The last company I worked for I think had around 60k employees. I enjoyed having 25 vacation days plus 6 personal days each year, raise every April 1, bonus every February, constant 6% match on 401k, plus profit sharing, corporate discounts at other businesses, tuition reimbursement, etc. My wife still works for this company and all the benefits remained the same.

I have friends in smaller businesses that don't get nearly the number of perks. Like you said though a lot of the bigger companies aren't doing much hireing nowadays.

M & K M & K
Jan '13

CCNA certification is a second level Cisco Career certification. CCNA certification validates the ability to install, configure,operate,and troubleshoot medium-size routed and switched networks,including implementation and verification of connections to remote sites in a WAN.
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/172264455/640-722%20Dumps
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x24nkf6_640-722-sample-question_news

john87 john87
Aug '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.