Goodbye Phillipsburg Mall

Pburg mall was sold and is closing!!?? Say it ain't so! Also I heard the sonic in pburg closed as well?

Goodbye mall
Jan '13

OH GOD NOT SONIC! Theres no reason to ever go to Pburg and risk those traffic cameras ever again...

Some Guy (Art) Some Guy (Art)
Jan '13

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/phillipsburg/index.ssf/2013/01/phillipsburg_mall_sold_to_grea.html

P'burg mall WAS sold, but the new owner plans to "upgrade" the mall, not close it. Why would someone pay $11.5M if they were going to turn around and close it?

I haven't heard anything about Sonic, but the Chick-Fil-A is scheduled to open on March 14th.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '13

Hope Sonic closes. Their food is nasty. Never went to the one in P'burg, but have been to the one on Rt 31 in Flemington. Went once and didnt care for it, but DID give it a second try and still YUCK!

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Jan '13

They should tear down the whole place and put in a Mega-CVS!

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '13

Just what we need, another CVS!

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Jan '13

Sonic has great Tater Tots and Popcorn Chicken. Their burgers aren't great, but they're definitely better than McDonald's or Burger King. Their foot-long chili cheese dogs with mustard and onions are delicious, although every one you eat probably takes a month off of your life expectancy, lol. They're way too messy for me to let someone eat one in my car, though. I'm not really into the whole "drive-in" concept for that reason.

BBY, what did you eat there that you found not to your liking?

ianimal ianimal
Jan '13

Some kind of hot dog and chicken sandwich. Ordered ice tea and it was nasty. Told the guy I wanted raspberry ice tea and he said that is and I said never tasted one like this before. I changed it to something else. Just unhappy with the whole visit. Worker was 1/2 asleep I think too.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Jan '13

Bring on the bulldozers. What a dump.

Philliesman Philliesman
Jan '13

The stores in the mall aren't that bad. The building itself is a detriment to the stores IMO. It will be interesting to see how they go about rebuilding it without losing the anchor stores.

I still say make it a mega-Dominoes-CVS store.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '13

I love the Pburg mall and all the shopping over there! It is never crowded like Rockaway-I wont go there any more. The only type of store missing is a sports store. I dont need "brand" stores, why would anyone pay so much to advertize a store on their shirt is beyond me! Sears, Penneys, Kohls are just fine by me!

irishgirl irishgirl
Jan '13

Record stores are non-existent as are bookstores and head shops , so what is left but clothes and knickknacks plus expensive electronics stores along with a few anchor stores that you can enter without walking through the mall . Malls are relics from the 60s-70s made so by outdoor styled shopping centers that you can drive to like the Roxbury Mall and online shopping . Older people don't want to deal with punks hanging out in malls or walk great distances between two stores and don't have to due to online shopping .Huge indoor malls are becoming a relic of the past and good riddance ! Hell I remember an article bemoaning their coming into existence - what comes around goes around !

zombo zombo
Jan '13

Isn't that sonic pretty new?

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Jan '13

"Malls are relics from the 60s-70s" - tell that to Willowbrook and Garden State Plaza.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '13

I LOVE malls but this one closing is not upsetting me at all. I didn't care much for the stores in there. Maybe it will be better when they upgrade.

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Jan '13

Hey....Does anyone remember the cinnamon bun place that was there years ago? It wasn't Cinnabon.

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Jan '13

Anyone happen to know if Kohl's and Sears will remain open?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '13

I think it was called Cindy's Cinnamon Rolls,IIRC...

ianimal ianimal
Jan '13

Did anyone read the article , nowhere does it say anything is closing

Yes, it was Cindy's Cinnamon Rolls....better than Cinnabon!

Gardenfish Gardenfish
Jan '13

jdem, the title of the thread is Goodbye Phillipsburg Mall, so it sounded like it was closing up to me. I did, in fact, read the article and although it didn't state that Kohl's and Sears were closing, it didn't state they would remain open either. I figured someone on this thread might have additional info.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '13

Oh dear LORD....I can eat one of those cinnamon buns right now! Anyway, I was reading this article about stores closing. It's sad to see stores leaving empty spaces and making malls such as Phillipsburg and Ledgewood so vacant.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/news/where-you-might-not-shop-in-2013-193123651.html

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Jan '13

I personally love indoor malls. Great for shopping in all seasons. Better than driving or walking between stores outdoors. Miss Hackettstown Mall.

copygirl copygirl
Jan '13

I vote for Wegmans:-)

Jonathan Stone Jonathan Stone
Jan '13

What ever happened to that Italian restaurant that was in the Hackettstown Mall?

Deana Deana
Jan '13

@ Deana.....Wasn't that Tony's Italian Restaurant?

joyful joyful
Jan '13

I heard that JC Penny's and Bon-Ton are going to be closing... I think Kohls and Sears are to remain open.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '13

@ Deana, that Italian restaurant was Roman Delight. I dunno what happened to it.

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Jan '13

300 malls will be closing this year..as reported by CNBC recently.

Jed Clampett Jed Clampett
Jan '13

it ain't so

Erik B. Anderson Erik B. Anderson
Jan '13

@Deana Roman Delight moved over to Hastings Square

just saying is all
Jan '13

P'burg mall is NOT closing people. Read the article. The new owners are going to revamp it, so its not going anywhere. Its a nice mall, as long as the store fronts are occupied. Kohls, Sears, JCPenney. Great place.

Oh and Auntie Annes Pretzels. YUM!!!

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Jan '13

Hi everyone. I live near PBurg Mall, been going there over 10 yrs and I stopped going there about 2 yrs ago. Many stores have left like KMart (now Khols), FYE gone, HotTopic Gone, Electronic Botique (EBGames) gone, Waldenbooks, gone, KBToys gone, Suncoast Videos gone, can't remember other old stores. Foodcourt and all restuarants are gone. BTW, Pizza Hut is also gone! As of Jan 2013, Chick-Fil-A however it is spell is replaced by Pizza Hut next to my job @ TacoBell.. Also Sonic and Panera Bread is still open!!!!! Not many cars @ Sonic in the Winter time. If the mall does get shut down (will miss it extremely much) -- I HOPE THEY PUT A HUGE APPLE STORE!!! The only local Apple store for electronics like Ipods and Ipads is Rockaway, NJ. So PLEASE APPLE, COME JOIN OUR SPOT IN PHILLIPSBURG!!! ^_^! (does not like to travel FAR distance).. Gonna miss the mall.

Jilly Jilly
Jan '13

JC Penney closing.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/breaking-news/index.ssf/2014/01/jc_penney_at_phillipsburg_mall.html#incart_m-rpt-1

ms_warren_county ms_warren_county
Jan '14

That stinks. Love Penneys. Now have to head east to Rockaway, UGH!!!

botheredbyuu
Jan '14

@Jilly, if you live near Pburg mall, there is an Apple store closer to you at Lehigh Valley Mall.

Davis Davis
Jan '14

That's no surprise. We were there between Christmas and New Year's, and saying about 10 people were in the store, including employees, might be exaggerating.

Aquarius Aquarius
Jan '14

I'm hoping they do a large Orange Julius!

Ojay
Jan '14

Dairy Queen now has Orange Julius, at least the one on 57 in Hackettstown and the one on 31 in Washington.

I never think to go to the Phillipsburgh Malll. For me, going to the mall always meant Rockaway. I attribute it to having grown up in Flanders - it was just closer to go to Rockaway. It is just habit, I guess, even living in Hackettstown now.

MO Htown MO Htown
Jan '14

Pburg Mall is a good place to take a walk without getting frostbite.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '14

It's a shame that so many stores have closed and are closing....I live pretty close by and I appreciate the little malls. It reminds me of the decline of the Hackettstown Mall.

positive positive
Jan '14

Sears and kohls are both still open, jcpenny is closing there though. Read an article on Lehigh Valley news yesterday. That mall is a ghost town. And I completely agree the intersection light tickets are absurd and extremely over priced.

geekychey geekychey
Jan '14

The Hackettstown Mall never declined to the extent that Phillipsburg has, even though it was torn down. Most of the inline stores at Phillipsburg are gone. It really is a ghost town. I like to go there because there are no crowds . . . but it's reached the point where it is depressing.

Aquarius Aquarius
Jan '14

I think the Phillipsburg Mall is just a casualty of the high-cost of cheap prices. I remember years ago the mall was always full. As the economy tanked and people started losing good jobs and had to take minimum-wage jobs. They could no longer afford to shop there. And started going to Walmart

oldred
Jan '14

Aquarius,

I believe you're mistaken in that the Hackettstown Mall was never actually fully torn down, but was repurposed into the Marshall's/Lowes home. The entrance to Marshall's was one of the old entrances where the theater, subway, bookstore record store and a few others were closest to.

The structure that was (finally) torn down was the planned strip mall that stood half finished for many years and of course never even occupied (at least not to my memory, dating back to 1995).

Phil D. Phil D.
Jan '14

Phil, I believe that part of the mall was torn down. I think, although I am not 100% certain, that the only part of the old structure still standing is the Marshall's (which was originally a supermarket, Acme I think, that was pre-existing to the mall). The current exterior door to Marshall's was an interior door when the mall was still standing. I know that because I was always puzzled by they had those automatic swinging doors inside the mall, when other Marshall's mall anchors have typical interior openings. Then someone explained the supermarket history of the building.

Lowes may be on more or less the same footprint but I don't think it's the same building.

Aquarius Aquarius
Jan '14

I remember the Hackettstown Mall being quite vital in the early to mid 90s, they held an annual Business Expo there and I visited the mall often.

Marshall's stayed open while everything else was getting knocked down. I remember getting some real good bargains at Marshall's in those days, especially at Christmas time. They made it into some kind of real nice Christmas Village. It felt weird going there, when all the other stores were gone.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '14

Hmm, good point Aquarius,

I remember the theater having something like its own small entrance, somewhat next to the current Marshall's doors, but then again it's been a bit since its demise. I remember they used to host an independent film festival at the theater back in the 90's, similar to the Black Potatoe Film Fest (yes, there's an "e" at the end of their spelling).

It may even have been known as the Black Potatoe Film Fest, but I'm not sure. Didn't the Kmart at the other end make a bit of a "T" on that end? I may have missed the demolition of everything from what's now Marshall's on down then. Admittedly, there was a couple of years when I was working in another location and wasn't in town much. At that time a friend's daughter worked in the Kmart though. I'm trying to figure out how I could have missed it - but apparently I must have;-)

Phil D. Phil D.
Jan '14

Doonesbury has had some funny comic strips lately about a dad who suddenly realized he's missed a lot of things.

He sees his son researching colleges and suddenly realizes the boy is now a junior in high school. He then shares with his wife that he missed seeing the boy grow up.

Asks his wife if he's missed anything else. "Have I missed menopause?"

She answers, "No. Don't worry. You'll know."

Should have put that one in Friday Funnies. =)

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '14

Put more stores in

The new owners still haven't cleared the snow from the outer road and today is Friday. Areas of it is still snow covered, no salt was applied at all. The public bus in town NJ transit 890/891 wouldn't even go into the mall because they didn't clear it for a day or so. Parking lot it's self was cleared but not the road on the outer ring of the mall its self. PREIT at least kept the roads clear.

About a week late to answer you, Phil, but yes, K-Mart made a T at the far end of the mall, with a breezeway leading in. If I remember correctly, that end of the mall was the first to come down.

Aquarius Aquarius
Jan '14

Black Potatoe is now a music festival in Clinton.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '14

I remember the mall well, since I lived near there. They use to have the Food Court, HotTopic, KMart, FYE, WaldenBooks, Electronic Boutiques, Dollar Store, Suncoast Videos, KBToys, etc. Those where the big stores back in 80s and 90s. I use to shop there tons of times. Ever since Walmart got there and moved to newer bigger location 5 minutes down the street, everyone heads to Walmart. Also more people shop @ Target and Kohls as well. Those are my top 3 favorite stores and Gamestop & Footlocker is still there and so is Spencers! So yeah, a lot of it has changed over the years. I think the stores that should go in the mall maybe like a Apple & Nintendo stores maybe a Sony store would be nice! So yeah, I think big brands should go in there! I've been going to that mall for 20 years now, and a lot of it has changed.. It is sad, because more people are working at fast food places and bigger stores now. They use to have a Food Court in there and a mini Card Shop Kiosk thingy in the middle of the mall for trading cards. Also a Comic book store was there, forgot the name. But yeah, I remember the mall well!

Jill Y Jill Y
Apr '14

Warren County library is going to open a new branch in the Phillipsburg Mall

Brad
Apr '14

That was the meheylan (sp?) film festival. Used to love going to it.

Gadfly Gadfly
Apr '14

Yeah stores like Waldenbooks and Suncoast videos didn't die off from the internet , Netflix , and ereaders - it were Walmart that there killed dem dere ole stores ! After all Walmart has the same selection of books and videos as a dedicated bookstores/video stores/websites doan it ? Warren County Library has had the Phillipsburg library included as a source for their list of inventory requests for years so the last post saying the county would waste a huge amount of taxpayer dollars to invest in a physical location at a dying indoor mall is pathetic and laughable .

Still waiting for the Independence and Vienna post offices to close after hearing years ago 'somebody' said it was a-goin' to happen from gossip heard at the Hackettstown post office . Hey I done heard Apple is going to build a large indoor iMall out by the Target - but keep that there secret to y'all selves !

Zombo Zombo
Apr '14

Here ya go Zombo!!!

http://www1.youseemore.com/warrencl/uploads/2014.02.12.SpecialMeetingMinutesSigned.pdf

The Phillipsburg mall is a cheaper alternative

Brad
Apr '14

A closing dying Mall is library store cheaper for a library location than what ? An already extisting Warren County community college nearby- already paid for by the County ? Tell u what - they put a branch of the WC library there in the dying mall and I'LL EAT A BUG !

Zombo Zombo
Apr '14

Re: Goodbye Phillipsburg Mall

Need some salt Zombo? It really does taste like chicken. ;)

John C John C
Apr '14

I remember this mall since I was little. I remember back when they had KMart, KB Toys, Suncoast Video, FYE music store, Walden Books, Food Court, etc. Now, the place is getting new management, so new stores and a gym is going in. I miss the old 90s mall. They had EVERYTHING. IT was the hottest mall in town. Now in days it is pretty dead. So we shop mostly @ Kohls there, nothing else in the mall. We do shop @ Walmart and Target mostly. I heard Gamestop was leaving, but dunno. I know JCPenny just left about a month or so ago. I think Sears will be next to leave in the future. Footlocker and Payless Shoes is also still there! Spencers Gifts is also still there. They closed few years back then they reopen with new management, but sell the same cool stuff!

The restuarants in the areas are still going strong. They only closed out Sonic to be replaced by Starbucks I heard. So hopefully Starbucks will pick up some of the fans. If this mall had like Apple store or something else; like more clothing and toy stores, it would be awesome. I also miss KBToys and the Pet Store there. Dollar Store is out as well and Hot Topic. I think it is the economy, and everyone shopping online or @ Walmart, Target and Kohls!

Pburg is a pretty good town to live, but the mall is dead dying. Hopefully the new management will put something cool in the mall. Would be great if they brought back the food court! Oh the Sports Card Hobby shop (where Suncoast use to be) is still there - one of the oldest stores so far to stay for trading hobby shop!

Why does Warren County need to put a library in Pburg, when Pburg already has its own library. Located by the police station? Just saying, seems like a waste of tax payer money.

cheryl71 cheryl71
Jun '14

The Phillipsburg Mall isn't in Phillipsburg; it's partly in Lopatcong Township and partly in Pohatcong Township. The new library would be for the benefit of people in those two Townships as well as Greenwich.

ianimal ianimal
Jun '14

I heard they are going to replace the hay floors with actual tile.

Nancy G
Jun '14

The economy being as it is, and the average household income in this area is what has kept better stores and resturants from coming into the Phillipsburg area. People rather drive miles to a completely full mall with well established stores rather than shopping at an empty mall. The mall is looking like a ghost town due to a decline in shoppers and the drop in the economy. However, Kohls, and H&M are great stores and hopefully the new owners of the mall will be really resourceful . Higher end stores and resturants, even Wegmans will never come to this area unless the average household income rises. When do you think that could happen given the amount of non-employed in this area.

When I was young, I used to WALK to my local library, through a safe neighborhood.

Oh, but that was so 55 years ago.

First book I ever borrowed from a library... The Richie Ashburn Story ... still remember that.

We're losing something when kids can't just walk to a local library anymore.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '14

Andy Loigu Message
1 sec ago
["We're losing something when kids can't just walk to a local library anymore."]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"WALK" ??? ................ Kids Today don't want to walk, and it is a shame.
It's a shame that actually people in general, cannot walk safely (not as much in this area) without fear that someone may approach them and do harm etc.

It was so much safer 35 / 40 years ago, and there is no pinpoint as to "why" it is, as it is today. There are many factors; and that would take a book to list all of them.

"The Computer Age" ... and instant decisions and communications is a factor, in the change in our kids today!

embryodad embryodad
Sep '14

"It's a shame that actually people in general, cannot walk safely (not as much in this area) without fear that someone may approach them and do harm etc."

wow it's really sad people live in such fear. Must be hard for some of you to leave your homes.

darwin darwin
Sep '14

As for living in fear, I actually detour through Stewartsville rather than go through that infamous light ... and I observe that 25-mile per hour speed limit.

I'm one of those old guys who takes his time ... and Stewartsville is a nice little town to go through ... like opening up a time capsule.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '14

"wow it's really sad people live in such fear. Must be hard for some of you to leave your homes."

I know, right? Makes me SMH and really wonder what these people would do if they actually lived in a "bad" area. Warren County is paradise compared to many places.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '14

"It was so much safer 35 / 40 years ago, and there is no pinpoint as to "why" it is, as it is today."

That's because you are wrong. crime is at its lowest rate since the 1960s.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2012/0109/US-crime-rate-at-lowest-point-in-decades.-Why-America-is-safer-now.

darwin darwin
Sep '14

the county library moving into the mall will save the county library budget 500,000 dollars per year that the county library pays to the phillipsburg 'free' library every year currently.

so the county will save that money, and p-burg will have to rejigger their current library setup, or just give it up completely and join the county system

the vo-tec highschool administration has pretty much told the county that the franklin branch can't stay there any more, the school leadership and the county schools superintendent have both said they want the space back for the high school and that the county library *needs* to move out, so the county has to find a new location for the franklin branch

the p-burg mall is an ok choice i think, it may help the mall over time. the anchor stores on site are doing quite well, Kohl's has always got decent foot traffic and that's a good thing, right?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Sep '14

One concern I've heard about a library at a mall, is that parents will just dump their kids off there when they shop.

Now, when I was a kid in the 60s (even the late 50s "Happy Days") ... I was no problem at a library because I've always loved books ...

but kids who don't want to be there, will be a problem for library staff people who are not trained for handling disruptive kids.

Just sayin.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '14

I'm ecstatic that crime is down to its lowest level in five decades (something I've never heard the pundits on FOX give Obama any credit for LOL) ...

but sadly, many of the old 'city problems' have moved to the suburbs and rural areas over the years, mainly, drug and alcohol abuse, which is at the heart of the problem.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '14

You are absolutely right Calico. When I lived in Newark I couldn't even walk down the street without worrying about getting mugged. I was mugged three times in broad daylight and only lived there for four years.

I've been living in Warren County for 18 years and I was never mugged or had to worry about getting mugged.

positive positive
Sep '14

Update on the mall. I think there are like 10 stores left now. Clares, Kohls, Footlocker, GameStop, Spin Me Round, Victoria Secret, The Shoe Dept., Payless, Bon Ton, Sports Collectables, Asian Trade Place (don't remember the name), that is all that is left in the mall. Only like 10 stores gone. So the mall is improving a bit.

Jilly Jilly
Aug '15

Malls are struggling not only because of internet shopping but also because the middle class is disappearing. Older people hate shopping on the internet, the younger generations are responsible for that. I am over 50 and only shop on the internet when it can't be bought in a store. I want to touch it, feel it and see it up close. P'burg mall could be nice again if they made a serious effort to fix it up. They used to have a carousel for the small children, the food court and lots of stores. You could make a day of it shopping and visiting friends. Also, I work at Bon Ton. Really really want that store to stay!

Bernice L Galeota Bernice L Galeota
Nov '17

You left out The Black Rose. It takes up the whole JC Penny Store. It's filled with antique vendors.

Outdoor women Outdoor women
Nov '17

Black rose is the bomb !! That's where i buy and resell.

George Beans George Beans
Nov '17

sears is having going out of business sale advertised in the sunday paper.

cathy
Nov '17

So is Bon-Ton the only anchor store left now, with Sears closing? I really like Sears for their Tool and Outdoor section and they also have a great selection of workboots. The next closest Sears is in Allentown I guess. I went inside the mall a few months ago while I was in Sears. It ain’t a pretty sight. Weight-Watchers had taken over like the old Abercrombie or Am Eagle and the only place to get something to eat was a freaky-looking pizza place. The pizza wasn’t bad though!
Without the Phillipsburg Mall, what mall do we have to call our own? Maybe Boscov’s will open in the old Sears??

Chuck Chuck
Nov '17

Just heard Yankee Candle is closing. Store is basically empty. Reason given - landlord wouldn't renew lease.

justwondering justwondering
Jan '18

Damn Yankees!!!

I'll sure miss that place as it is a good indoor place to walk in the winter . I mean no one is ever in there to bother you at all !

DMoonGlampers DMoonGlampers
Jan '18

Sorry, Bernice...

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/index.ssf/2018/01/as_bon-ton_announces_closures.html

ianimal ianimal
Jan '18

From what I heard the Phillipsburg Mall was bought out by the St.Luke's Network and the mall will be turning into a medical complex for doctors in their network. It's sad as I was at the grand opening of the mall and liked it.

Honey007 Honey007
Jan '18

That would be a huge complex...I think they bought out the hillside mall years ago

Bug3
Jan '18

I always went to Gertrude Hawk to get a certain candy my mom loves....

I guess I can still get it in rockaway, but that's in the wrong direction....

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jan '18

There's a Gertrude Hawk at the Palmer Park Mall about 5 miles or so past Phillipsburg into PA.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '18

BonTon just announced they are closing the Pburg Mall store.

Hey, thanks Ian!

Feb '18

So I guess the mall is near it’s dead end... heard a rumor that the Mall is kicking out all its tenants and is going to be demolished. The land will probably be put for sale afterwards... though I’m not sure what will happen to Kohl’s
or Black Rose, nor if this rumor is true or not.

Jacob Jacob
Feb '18

UPDATE*** Went today and saw that Schuykill Valley Sports closed their location and that Auntie Anne’s is closing at the end of this month. Got word that Bath and Body Works is next up as well.

Jacob Jacob
Feb '18

I really wonder then if the information I got at Kohls is incorrect. I spoke to an employee there a few weeks ago and she told me they have another 4 years on their lease and they aren’t going anywhere. Sounds like the whole place is shutting down or moving elsewhere though...

Kohl’s does well in this area and with Bon Ton closing they should be getting a business increase, which wouldn’t make the company not renew their lease. Anyway there isn’t also a place they can move to in this area, so I guess it’ll stay on mall property with Black Rose (which is also popular) and probably won’t be going anywhere as you said, Kris.

Jacob Jacob
Mar '18

There's so many open lots available along 22, if Kohl's really wanted to they could definitely move. But why bother when you've already got a store over in Palmer? With some years left on the lease, they'll close it the minute it stops turning a profit.

Employees are always the last people to know usually. If the store plans to close in two months, they don't want everyone jumping ship today, so they keep them in the dark.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '18

it’s not just the mall, I’ve noticed a lot of pburg has taken a turn for the worse. I guess there’s just not a lot of jobs. That’s why it makes me angry when politicians always focus on the inner cities (and deservedly so, they are very troubled) but never on rural rust belt towns like Phillipsburg, or Washington. If I lived there I’d be on the phone with my rep and with Murphy’s office about why nothing is being done.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Mar '18

They are building a bunch of warehouses on the Ingersoll rand property..gonna be a ton of jobs there soon

Bug3
Mar '18

I drove through Washington today, normally take back roads and avoid it....Wow once more so many closed shops, For Rent signs, boarded up windows. Just sad and so different.

Gertrude Hawk finally closed their store in the mall I think Saturday. They were gonna wait till Easter to sell then move out

Jacob Jacob
Apr '18

Never been to philipsburg mall but went for the Easter train ride in philipsburg. And we hurriedly parked our car in a parking spot allocated to us. When we came back,our car was gone. A school bus driver, a very nice lady whose bus was park on the road offered to help. She even offered us a ride in her bus to the tow company if we could get the name and address. To our embarrassment, we found our car in the next block,it was never towed like we thought. The houses,the buildings and parking lots look the same and that was our first trip to philipsburg. We were confused as we were alloted a slot just at the back of a building. We apologised to the lady for our confusion and thank her. We will never forget her for her sincere effort to help us.

TimeTraveller TimeTraveller
Apr '18

1988, that’s why I get so pissed when people talk about “white privilege”. Try telling the people in Phillipsburg in Washington The Rust Belt areas who do not have jobs that they are “privileged”.

And I’m a democrat....

DevilsFan1 DevilsFan1
Apr '18

Roof collapse shuts down Phillipsburg Mall, police say

By Pamela Sroka-Holzmann

pholzmann@lehighvalleylive.com

For lehighvalleylive.com

Nearly four inches of rainfall in the region Saturday likely led to a roof collapse at the Phillipsburg Mall, police said.

Lopatcong Township Sgt. Jon Eriksen said the initial call came in around 6 a.m. Saturday for a roof collapse and flooding in the building that formerly housed Sears department store. No one was in the mall, 1200 Route 22 in Lopatcong and Pohatcong townships, at the time of the incident and there were no reported injuries, Eriksen said.

https://www.nj.com/warren/index.ssf/2018/08/phillipsburg_mall_shuts_down_due_to_roof_collapse.html

The mall was open Sunday, and the regular early morning mall walkers were there, as well as Gold's gym members. A few gym members who were there before 7 am, left because of a sign on the gym door said it would be closed all day for mall maintenance....Gold's should learn to date their memos taped to the door. The area of the mall corridor by Sears was blocked off past Bruno's pizza - no visible damage in the mall corridor. I guess all the damage was within Sears?

RushMan RushMan
Aug '18

More sad news. Old Navy is moving and Kay Jewelers is gone.

RushMan RushMan
Sep '18

Rushman,
Any word on when Old Navy is moving? Looks like my last reason to go to the mall is gone.

Disgruntled Disgruntled
Sep '18

They're almost done with the renovations to the old LA Fitness between Stop & Shop and the movie theater. I would guess that they will open in the new location before Black Friday.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '18

Disgruntled, No idea on when and where Old Navy is moving...I haven't spoken to any associates there, as the window signage suggests to do. I'm a mall walker and am usually there before the stores open. A fellow walker said they are moving down the road, maybe in the Toys R' Us mall, but I haven't verified that. Looked like some movers were there early this am. 09-12-18, and a portion of the store is already cleared out.

RushMan RushMan
Sep '18

Old Navy is moving next to Stop and Shop. There is a sign on building. Not sure when. I was there last week and they seem to be limiting their stock in preparation for their move.

Gardenfish Gardenfish
Sep '18

Thanks for the info, everyone.
I haven’t been to the mall since early August, so I haven’t seen the signage. The day I was there also happened to coincide with the roof caving in, so I was only inside Kohl’s.

Disgruntled Disgruntled
Sep '18

Old Navy has opened its new location next to Stop and Shop.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '18

I heard the mall is closing in a month. Apparently it’s not up to code (duh the roof fell in) and they haven’t done anything to fix it so a coding manager came in and was talking to the tenants about how he’s closing it down.

So sad if this is true. It was such a great mall back in the day.

Melissas106796 Melissas106796
Oct '18

A shame..lots of seniors in the area meet up there. It's become a daily routine for my 83 year old neighbor. Not sure if they are patronizing the stores though.

positive positive
Oct '18

The Shoe dept. closed today.

Jacob Jacob
Nov '18

just heard from employees that H&M is closing end of December, and that Gold’s Gym is closing in February

melissas melissas
Dec '18

Sign on Hallmark, Closing January 28th.

RushMan RushMan
Dec '18

More than half of the mall is closed, and any point beyond the pizza place is off limits. This place is a mess. From Gamestop/Spin me round down to Khols seems fine enough, especially with Black Rose, but beyond that is a ghost town, and I got kind of spooked walking around there.

PBurgMallisHaunted PBurgMallisHaunted
Dec '18

Just level that sad outdated mall already and put in low income housing for the people that really need it.

City Dweller
Dec '18

Anyone know if Gertrude Hawk is still open?

Dec '18

No, JR, closest one to you is either Stroud Mall in Stroudsburg or Palmer Park Mall just past Easton... or Rockaway, depending on where you're headed.

ianimal ianimal
Dec '18

Thanks Ian, you saved me a failed trip!

Dec '18

I may be a bit late, but I rightfully predicted that after Sears closed, that whole corridor past the Pizza place would be closed off, likely indefinitely. Since that corridor is a dead end now, the mall owners likely don't want people wondering around when they have no business being down there.

And I've heard H&M and Gold's Gym may be closing too? Damn, I thought those places would still make it well.

I would just make the place an indoor flee market - was there there the other day seemed fine to me besides the crazy prices at Black Rose.

There is a need for a good flee market in NW NJ . There are still a million people driving by on 22 and going to Chick fil A.

The township should just demolish the mall, keep the two anchor stores open, and put a Costco on the site.

Jacob Jacob
Dec '18

https://www.facebook.com/275979276079800/posts/788204471523942/

Iamrite Iamrite
Dec '18

Friendly's at the Mall closed for good over the weekend...

ianimal ianimal
Dec '18

H&M was having closing sale

Bentley
Dec '18

Hallmark is closing too. I'd hate to see everything in Black Rose be moved to another location, that'll take awhile! The Vinyl Record store looks to be doing good business too. Gamestop in general is declaring bankruptcy, so it's only a matter of time before that one goes too.

RIPPBURGMALL RIPPBURGMALL
Dec '18

Anybody know what will replace the mall?

Bug3
Dec '18

Is Bath and BodyWorks still there?

happycamper happycamper
Dec '18

Bath and Body Works was still there on Christmas Eve.

When was H&M having that closing sale? Hope they’re still there. I’d like to go.

Disgruntledone1 Disgruntledone1
Dec '18

But several businesses have been closing in the vicinity of the Phillipsburg Mall. Fashion store H&M will close its gates for the last time on Jan. 12, a manager there confirmed last week.

I actually liked that mall and am sad to see its demise. Went there yesterday and it won’t be long now before it’s all gone....I will miss it.

Dick Bird Dick Bird
Jan '19

Looks like the Mall is out of food options inside, Bruno’s has closed

Jacob Jacob
Feb '19

Victoria's Secret is closing their P'burg Mall store in March.

https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/2019/02/going-going-times-running-out-to-shop-this-phillipsburg-mall-store.html

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '19

I went there on Sunday this week and they held an awesome Dirt Track Heroes car show in the mall. Really well planned and interesting. Hopefully it pumps some revenue into the remaining businesses (I bought some records at Spin-Me-Round and a game at Game Stop).

I hope the mall continues to stay open and I wish the owners would redevelop and bring it back to life!

Crip Crapple Crip Crapple
Mar '19

Article regarding the mall.

https://www.mcall.com/news/mc-biz-crumbling-phillipsburg-mall-namdar-realty-group-strategy-20190226-htmlstory.html

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '19

Crip, the mall is falling apart and will be leveled. The property will then be available for another use, strip mall, mixed use, etc...

A roller derby team moved into the former Old Navy at the mall.

https://expo.lehighvalleylive.com/news/g66l-2019/06/927c5c88bd8384/it-used-to-be-an-old-navy-now-its-a-roller-derby-track-meet-the-team-that-moved-into-the-phillipsburg-mall.html

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '19

Oh cool! I know there was a discussion here maybe 6 months to a year ago about the old rink in Ledgewood and someone looking for space for their team to practice.

Of course it makes me think of this song by Jim Croce:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwhxXjdMPd8

Man, how I miss his talent.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jun '19

have to change their name to 'rOll Navy'

Saw a curious hand written sign on the display board outside the eyebrow threading place, that they will be there for the next 2 years - perhaps an indicator that they renewed their lease for 2 years. Hope so, since I frequent what's left of the mall for mall walking, as well as shopping at some of the remaining 22 businesses.
Luxury Nails Spa, Gold's Gym, Asian Gifts, T- Mobile, Relaxation Spa and Bodywork,
Sports Memorabilia, GameStop, Verizon, Black Rose Antiques, Kohl's, GNC, Weight Watchers, Home Angels, Blue Mars Vapor, iFix & More, Best Eyebrow Design, Spin Me ' Round, Bath & Body Works, Regis, AT&T, Men's Wearhouse, Phillipsburg Family Dentistry.

RushMan RushMan
Jul '19

The owner of the golds gym shut the Phillipsburg location down and put all that junk equipment in the Hackettstown location and told everyone he was getting "brand new" equipment. Hes a real scam artist.

Momof6 Momof6
Jul '19

The present owner of the P-burg Mall just bought Liberty Village in Flemington.
The Village is in disrepair and many storefronts are empty.

My question, is the P-bugh Mall being maintained? Is it cleaned regularly? Does it have security on staff daily; inside and outside?

We at the Village are hoping for the best. Meanwhile, the Estee Lauder Cosmetics Company Store has 25% to 80% off on all Estee Lauder Brand cosmetics and fragances. Open Fri - Mondays. We are not listed on directories or website yet. :/

The other outlets have great discounts too.
https://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlet/liberty-village-outlet-marketplace

Yurneighbor Yurneighbor
Jul '19

Doesn't sound good...here is another mall owned by the same people

https://www.syracuse.com/business/2019/07/shoppingtown-mall-ignored-judges-order-to-pay-97m-in-back-taxes-what-happens-next.html

Bug3
Jul '19

I was at Liberty Village on Wednesday. Very sad and desolate. Overheard some workers at Calvin Klein talking about some worker getting severance and the property being bought by the same people as the Phillipsburg Mall (Namdar). Sad because Namdar won’t probably do anything to the mostly vacant property.

Jacob Jacob
Jul '19

Wait, Gold's Gym is closed now?!

Yeah the Phillipsburg golds is closed and he moved all the garbage equipment from there to Hackettstown, told everyone he was getting all new equipment. Hes a scam artist. Way better gyms in the area!!!

Momof6 Momof6
Jul '19

@Yurneighbor, yes the P'burg mall is cleaned regularly. The trash cans are emptied, the floor is cleaned, the restrooms are cleaned and stocked. There is security on location, although I have not seen them outside very much.

Today, there is a wrecking crew inside the Sears store, making a lot of noise, and heavy equipment outside, looking like the Sears store is ready to be torn down.

RushMan RushMan
Jul '19

Momof6, Gold's Gym is still operational. They only removed the 16 exercycles, and the rest of the equipment is all still there, maintained and used.

RushMan RushMan
Jul '19

RushMan... Momof6 is "friends" with the owner of a rival gym. Take her comments about Gold's with a grain of salt.

ianimal ianimal
Jul '19

Actually ianimal I was a member at golds for years, then when I went to leave and cancelled months later I was getting calls from a collection agency, they are thieves! And yes I do love where I go now!

Momof6 Momof6
Aug '19

The former Sears is now currently being demolished.

Best Eyebrow Design closed about 2 weeks ago, although a sign on the window says temporarily closed, the store is emptied out. Down to 21 stores left now, not including the 9-11 Memorial recently opened.

RushMan RushMan
Sep '19

Maybe this will be the last mall resident. I've seen this little guy 3 times. The first time, it was trapped in a spider web and I released it, 2nd time was on a wall, and the 3rd time, on 09/22, he was scrambling along the tile near Gold's Gym. I caught him and released him in one of the potted plants. It's a Mediterranean Gecko, aka Turkish Gecko. Very unusual to find it this far north as they are native to warmer climates. They are not native to the US, an invasive species, although not a threat to any native plants nor animals. Also they are nocturnal, so unusual to find him out during daylight hours.

RushMan RushMan
Sep '19

Gold's Gym, closed today. Letters taped to the windows, explaining the closure. No notice given to clients as several showed up to exercise this morning, shocked and angry. One guy said he drives 22 miles there to exercise.

Also demolition of Bon Ton's beginning.

RushMan RushMan
Sep '19

Very disappointed this management company let the mall deteriorate the way it has. This company bought the Liberty Village in Flemington I read not that long ago, we'll see if they do the same to those stores.

https://www.nj.com/news/2019/08/liberty-village-the-nations-oldest-outlet-shopping-center-is-sold-at-a-bargain-price.html

How did the owner (Gold's Gym) get away with that BS? That's not cool.

Oh, and Bon Ton's getting demolished too now? Two (abandoned) anchor stores being demolished within a couple of months? Damn.

Ryan Blanche Ryan Blanche
Oct '19

Blue Mars Vapor...up up up in a puff of smoke, 'er vapor. They're gone as of Sept 6.
Talked to security this morning. They will continue unlocking the doors at 5 am weekdays and 7 am weekends, unless told otherwise.
There are a few mall walker who come early, and a few folks who walk through the mall to catch the Trans Bridge bus on the south side of the mall. I'm sure they appreciate that in bad weather (rain, snow and especially the cold in winter).

RushMan RushMan
Oct '19

Another business leaves the mall.

https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/phillipsburg/2019/10/another-tenant-vacates-struggling-phillipsburg-mall.html

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '19

Luxury Nails Spa closed up a few days ago. That leaves only Men's Wearhouse and Phillipsburg Family Dental in that half of the building.

RushMan RushMan
Nov '19

"Luxury Nails Spa closed up a few days ago."

They have a new location on Rt. 22 just east of Roseberry St.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '19

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Owners-of-Struggling-NJ-Mall-Are-Ideally-Hoping-to-Sell-the-Property-565593431.html?amp=y

Htown Resident Htown Resident
Nov '19

Next closing: Game Stop

RushMan RushMan
Dec '19

I am new resident to warren county I have sent a email to the owners of the malls and other sites on what should be done I have suggested a open air mall like the one in nyack ny or Like the outlet stores in Woodbury commons off the ny thruway
Your have box stores like target or Walmart anchor the mall and have 36 small stores and eateries have a apple store keep rose unlimited the antique and collectibles and the golds
gym and Kohl’s and add a cinopolis movie theater and you can have a outdoor courtyard to have a Santa’s workshop. And have a event for the Fourth of July. Have
a fall festival with sales of pumpkins. And apples and apple cider and donuts and event on Memorial Day in May and Veterans Day in November to celebrate fallen military service men and women in the spring the Santa’s workshop becomes the eastern bunny’s lair
You get ethnic and civic groups to hold outdoor celebrations in the summer
Like I said during the summer a carnival and bbq and fireworks in July
German October feast believe me you can if you think about it get ideas to rejuvenate that mall and having a outdoor is much easier then a indoor mall you can encourage eateries to offer alfresco style outdoor sidewalk tables maybe get a stew and Leonard’s or
a lidl food store in the mall or Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s have some variety in the mall call it the shops at Lopatcong Township and have a hobby lobby and kohl’s and a boscovs as anchors you can have practical stores like a Walgreens or cvs or rite aid
a place to shop for clothes food and drugstore to pick up your prescriptions have a eyebrow place and a men’s and ladies hair cuts and a Panera and other fast and easy places to either eat lunch or dinner

Joe godleski
Dec '19

https://www.wfmz.com/news/area/western-newjersey/tenant-all-tenants-inside-phillipsburg-mall-served-notices-of-eviction/article_0bded924-25f2-11ea-ad6e-cb49340c749d.html?fbclid=IwAR2j7JLaqJUQ1a4wBRUprbpnj2A9alC2MLhlylhC4BufvcQnyu_RNdYmFMM

Looks like it'll be done in about a month.

Some Guy (Art) Some Guy (Art)
Dec '19

Went to Bath & Body works last week like a ghost town in there.
Gave me the Willie's:(
Sears has been leveled; air of the place reeks of melancholy and doom :(

Indoor flea market.....

https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/phillipsburg/2020/02/we-know-where-the-phillipsburg-mall-antique-store-is-going-to-a-huge-new-flea-market.html

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '20

Kohls is staying.

Person23 Person23
Feb '20

Verizon gone and Weight Watchers too. That leaves only Bath & Bodyworks, Sports Memorabilia, Regis, and P'burg Family Dental. Not sure about Relaxation Spa.

RushMan RushMan
Mar '20

Is the mall going to be a huge flea market or just where Black Rose is?

The flea market is going in the old JCP&L building near the old Middle School on Warren Street, not at the Mall.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '20

Regis was gone in December

With its days as a retail destination numbered, Phillipsburg Mall’s possible future could come into focus Wednesday night. Lopatcong Township Council is set to hear from an attorney on the "Phillipsburg Mall Development Project," during its regula...
https://www.nj.com/phillipsburg/2020/03/warehouse-to-replace-phillipsburg-mall-after-inquiry-township-to-meet-with-developer.html

Bug3
Mar '20

Spin Me Round is now in the Palmer Park Mall and now open for business again as per a recent Youtube video I saw posted on their site.

Phil D. Phil D.
Mar '20

Why is there a need for another warehouse? Isn't there already that new one that they just built (Bridge Point 78 I assume it's called) a few miles up the road?

It doesn't make sense.

Mar '20

Not even a few miles... the only thing separating the two sites is a moderate-size 55+ apartment complex.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '20

Warehouses are a big business these days - all of those things we buy online and are delivered in 1-2 days have to come from somewhere. That is the tradeoff - when brick and mortars go under, warehouses come in.

The R The R
Mar '20

Why would Kohls be staying? Can't they move into the old Toys r Us?

CuriousKitty
Mar '20

The COVID-19 shutdown might me the final nail for Phillipsburg Mall.

May '20

Kohls is staying because it is leased/owned separately and the rest of the mall has been shut down for quite awhile

Person23 Person23
May '20

Going, going, gone...

It's now been confirmed that the mall will soon start to be demolished.

https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/phillipsburg/2021/01/demolition-set-to-begin-on-most-of-what-remains-of-phillipsburg-mall

Jan '21

Kohls is being walled off

Person23 Person23
Jan '21

Kohls is being walled off from the rest of the mall

Person23 Person23
Jan '21

The video of some youtubers walking through the abandoned Phillipsburg mall, it is super creepy and weird to see it in such a post-apocalyptic state!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67VEVfUcAdc&ab_channel=TheProperPeople

Apparently you can see into the mall from Kohl’s. Many lights still on in the old mall, homeless living in the place too!

Not In NJ Anymore Not In NJ Anymore
Nov '21

The mall is closed to the public. I'm there everyday and there is no one inside.

Animallove Animallove
Nov '21

Animallove

Did watch the video? Clearly the 2 guys that did the video got in and detailed people living in the mall.

Not In NJ Anymore Not In NJ Anymore
Nov '21

I thought it was torn down

https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/phillipsburg/2021/01/demolition-set-to-begin-on-most-of-what-remains-of-phillipsburg-mall.html

Bug3
Nov '21

As of a month ago, only Sears and Bon-Ton appear to have been demolished...

ianimal ianimal
Nov '21

Demolition of the mall is now finally in progress. Sections are now being torn down.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.