Yankee Candles- Do NOT Burn

I'm sad to write this as I used to LOVE Yankee Candles....However, I started noticing they went down hill a couple candles back. Last night my husband comes upstairs and asks me "Why is it so smokey in here". I didn't realize until he said something but it was bad.

So I blew out the candle and now the bricks of the fireplace need to be washed....the ceiling is covered in black soot and I can't get it off so it will need to be painted.

I looked online and MANY people have the same complaints...and they just raised their prices to $27.99 for the large jars. I've never payed full price for one but I waill NEVER spend a $1.00 on another one.

Thought i would help you all out an warn you.....don't waste your money on candles that don't smell and for every hour you burn expect 2 hours or more of cleaning up after it

Nosila Nosila
Jan '13

Re: Yankee Candles- Do NOT Burn

Pic One

Nosila Nosila
Jan '13

I used to get the Mountain Lodge fragrance Yankee candle.. I notice they changed the color of it and the smell..it now smells like mud.

Jed Clampett Jed Clampett
Jan '13

Usually a sign there is lead in the wicks. Disappointing.

gemmi
Jan '13

yikes!! They were my favorites too! I haven't burned any lately though, or maybe the ones I have are a couple yrs old? Did you try Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on the ceiling? Hate to think what that soot might be doing to people's lungs!

lovebeingamommy lovebeingamommy
Jan '13

Apparently they don't put zinc in their wicks like they used to.....so pissed off

I tried he Mr.Clean eraser as that's my go to for everything and its not working

Nosila Nosila
Jan '13

I never have cared for Yankee Candles. I prefer McCall's They have some really great scents. Banana nut bread is my favorite. I also love the campfire marshmallow and state fair apple pie candles.

http://www.mccallscandles.com/

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '13

Oh No. Got a whole basket of Yankee Candle products for Christmas. Also got some Scentsy things as well, I already opened them and am loving this glowing light with the scented wax cubes

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jan '13

The wax will be fine....but watch out for the candles

Nosila Nosila
Jan '13

Ahhh zinc. The miracle element. Whatever you burn, make sure you don't leave them unattended. Never ceases to amaze me the people I meet that will leave their house or go to sleep with candles burning. Funny Jed about the candle that smells like mud.

Bruin Bruin
Jan '13

I have noticed this with large jar candles. I keep the wicks trimmed to about 1/4 inch.

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Jan '13

I was going to say the same thing about trimming the wicks. I noticed if you don't trim them, there's always a lot (and I mean a lot) of black soot on the top of the jar. Will have to watch that, thanks Nosila. Out of curiosity, do you trim the wicks before lighting?

Bessie Bessie
Jan '13

The creator of Yankee candle sold the business a few years back. His son opened a new store call Kringle Candle. The candles burn great and smell incredible. I was in the store in MA a couple of months ago.

www.kringlecandle.com

LovesPets LovesPets
Jan '13

I recommend soy candles or Scentsy tart Warmers (or knock-offs). The Yankee candles always produce too much soot. If anyone is interested in buying Scentsy, my friend is an associate with them. Just send me a PM!

Survivor Survivor
Jan '13

I personally have NEVER had a problem with Yankee Candles, they are in fact all I will buy. Every year, I get several for Christmas. I burn them pretty much daily, year round, and have different scents for the different seasons. If you keep the wicks at the 1/4" as it's recommended on the candle itself, you shouldn't have a problem with the soot.

LuvMyRescue LuvMyRescue
Jan '13

Yes, I cut the wick everytime I burned it.

LuvmyRescue- I was the same as you. I always had a Yankee candle burning. However, I did start noticing a couple months ago they dont smell as strong. Then the Day after Christmas I got awesome deals on some and now I realize not such a great idea because I now have to paint and clean everything :(

Nosila Nosila
Jan '13

My aunt does not like candles, she worries about the open flame. She does like the Scentsy Warmer's and scents. They do provide nice scents. I also purchased another brand of Candle after Christmas last year (2011) @ PV Pharmacy when they were 50% off. I made sure they fit on those candle warmer's also known as coffee cup warmers.
I placed the candle on the warmer and when it became liquid the wick moved towards the side. I was able to lift it out and dispose of it.
Over a year later it is nearly full, still putting out the same great scent. I really did not what to expect, but it worked out for me. When I take it off the warmer and it firms up, before I put it away, I recap it. I would remove the wick with the candle placed on wax or parchment paper so it does not drip on something you will need to clean up.

susan susan
Jan '13

I am now a big fan of flameless candles, however, I do still burn yankee and slatkin candles for the smell. Be sure to always trim wicks each time before lighting the candle and only burn about 4 hrs since then the wick is long again and the smoke/soot starts. I always clean the inside of the glass jar before lighting too so that I can see when the soot is accumulating again and then blow out the candle. I had the black on the fireplace after burning on my mantle. I think a candle needs complete circulation and if you put it on a table away from a wall, it doesn't blacken the walls/ceiling.

Home Town Hardware carries the Kringle candles. I've been buying them there and like them much better than Yankee.

hktownie hktownie
Jan '13

hktownie- thanks I will have to go get one to try

Nosila Nosila
Jan '13

I agree with luv my rescue. You need to keep the wick short. I love my Yankee Candles. I do always keep a window open a small bit b/c I think all candles take air from the room and I don't want my dog to suffer.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Jan '13

Sorry about your ceilings, Nosila.

I think it's ridiculous what Yankee Candle charges for a jar of wax. We got one recently from the store at Mohegan Sun because we received comp dollars on our card that had to be used that day and were at a loss for what to use it on. Definitely not worth the price, especially now that I'm hearing all these horror stories about them.

Calico, does "banana nut bread" make your whole house smell like banana? Is that a good thing? ;o)

Tracy Tracy
Jan '13

Tracy - More like actual banana nut bread, not a plain old banana. :-)

Whenever I am burning one and someone comes by, they think I've been baking and say how good it smells.

When I looked at their website last night, I didn't see campfire marshmallow on it. I hope it's not discontinued. :-(

I'm burning a hot buttered rum one right now and it's just ok.

I had never heard of McCall's until about 10 years ago. A woman I knew a from Long Valley was selling them. I've been hooked ever since. Once I found out that they sell them at Cabela's it gives me a reason to take a trip out there with Horatio.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '13

Try using magic eraser on ceiling takes my kids crayon marks off the wall like well a magic eraser

Tombo
Jan '13

I just ordered 8 jumbo jars each of Sunflower and French Vanilla today. I can't tell you how crushed I was when they discontinued both scents a few years ago. I heard that they brought them back for a limited time and I jumped on it, lol. Plus, they were marked down online from $27.99 to $13.99 each.. that didn't hurt, either, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '13

Believe it or not, I've had very good luck with Walmart's "Mainstays" line of candles - long burn time and seem very clean-burning. They were selling another brand there too, during the weeks just after Irene hit, but thankfully were resupplied. The other brand sucked - too smoky and short burn time, but the "Mainstays" ones were great AND inexpensive!

Phil D. Phil D.
Jan '13

Thank you for the suggestions on different candles to try. I'm a loyal Yankee Candle user but Nosila's post has made me think about trying some new ones. Calico's love of McCall's gives me yet another reason to go to Cabela's. We've never been there but it's on our list of places to go just to check it out. Going to give one of the Mainstay candles a chance today..will probably be to Walmart before Cabela's, LOL.

Bessie Bessie
Jan '13

www.daksagreatlife.com makes adirondack candles great people

Cowgirl1 Cowgirl1
Jan '13

Bessie- Buy the Better Homes and Garden candles at Walmart....and also the soy candles at Kohls

Maybe I just got a bad batch of Yankee Candles....

Nosila Nosila
Jan '13

I tried the "Better Homes and Gardens" candles and while they didn't smoke and had nice scent to them, they seemed to burn for a much shorter time than the "Mainstays" ones and it seemed as though there was much wasted wax left in the candle jar afterwards. A good idea would possibly be to buy both and light them at the same time, measuring their burning progress.

Where's Consumer Reports when you need them LOL!

Phil D. Phil D.
Jan '13

I don't light my candles anymore I melt them in a melter. It looks like a crock pot but it is for candles. Mush safer they smell and last alot longer then lighting them. That being said I never liked Yankee candles because of the price and how long they last. With a melter as I mentioned above you can go much cheaper with better results.

Christine Christine
Jan '13

I dont like Yankee not just because they burn creating a lot of soot but the amount of wax left over is a waste. I prefer Bridgewater candles and those brands you can get at Walmart at a fraction of the cost. Yankee should buy back or give credits for unused wax that just doesnt burn.

DJbarb DJbarb
Jul '14

For anyone who is interested, I sell Scentsy. No soot, no danger, you can leave them run 24 hours a day. There is currently a Christmas in July sale running with savings of up to 75% off, but today is the last day of the sale. They are also doing Bring Back My Bar this month where they feature select discontinued fragrances. As a special, you can get 12 bars of wax for $45, which gives you three bars completely free (July only!). You can view the sales and catalog at https://sandybrie.scentsy.us Great opportunity to try it and see if you like it! :)

Sandy Sandy
Jul '14

Good idea would be to google the health risks of burning candles there are some pretty good studies and opinions there.

ignatz ignatz
Jul '14

I have been using Yankee candles for years and never had any problems with this product. You must never ever leave a candle unattended. Just trim the wick down before you light it. I purchase mine at Home Goods.

Momma J Momma J
Jul '14

The recent fire in Long Valley that destroyed the house apparently was caused by unattended burning candle so that is very timely advice Momma J.

Firefly Firefly
Jul '14

That's what caused that fire firefly? How sad! I am glad my house is small. Before I switched to Scentsy I always had a candle burning, and once I heard a popping sound and walked into my kitchen to discover that the jar had cracked in half and sent hot wax all over my table. If my house wasn't so small I probably wouldn't have heard it, and since somehow the wick remained lit, it could have caused a fire.

Sandy Sandy
Jul '14

Here is a link..

http://patch.com/new-jersey/longvalley/fire-that-gutted-long-valley-home-deemed-accidental

Firefly Firefly
Jul '14

Really Firefly? How sad it could have been avoided. Just glad no one got hurt.

Momma J Momma J
Jul '14

May have been a candle

Booster90 Booster90
Jul '14

Thanks for this:)

sallysimpson sallysimpson
Mar '15

I don't know if anyone has burned them before but I swear by Bath and Body Works Candles! They smell incredible, always on sale with a coupon on top to boot. Can't beat it!

Hi Kris.... do you notice any black stuff (I think it's soot), around your walls, near the ceiling corners , mostly? I tried cutting the wick shorter, waiting to see if that helps or do I need to buy a certain kind. I am going to check out BB&Y...thanks so much:)

Mar '15

http://www.daksagreatlife.com/ these are half the price of Yankee candles and last longer and smell better .

Cowgirl1 Cowgirl1
Mar '15

Cowgirl,.. have you burned these candles for 12-18 hours ? If yes, see my above post to Kris. Any advice? Thanks!

Mar '15

Sally, there is a metal topper that you can place on top of your candles...I know Yankee sells them to fit their candles. I also always use a long metal "stick" or wand (Hallmark sold them, but you can probably find something around the house that would work!) to extinguish the flame by pushing the wick to the side and into the melted wax, once the flame is out push the wick upright. This eliminates any black smoke...and yes, trimming the wicks helps!

Gardenfish Gardenfish
Mar '15

Hi sallysimpson! None at all. I've been burning the large 3 wick jars they sell (best value in my opinion) and I've never had a problem with them. I usually leave mine on a coaster just to keep the table underneath safe but they always burn evenly and smell great. Let me know what you think when you go take a look. They always have some on sale, usually 2/$22, things like that.

Thanks you guys.I'll give it a try:)

Mar '15

Gardenfish, you can just put the lid back on the jar and the flame goes out and traps black smoke when finished burning. It also prevents sparks that may happen if you blow out the candle. I love B&BW candles and also like yankee. Some throw a better scent than others. I have many flameles candles in my home because I like the look and glow they give plus with timers on them, no work or worries but I still burn a candle when we are in the living room and I can watch it.

justwondering justwondering
Mar '15

I brought 3 yankee tumbler candles from Staples... ..really awesome scents - Blooming Lillies, Island Getaway and another one......Each of them were $19.99....I am pretty DISAPPOINTED......none of the candles are throwing any smell at all. Not even you stand right in front of them....I left them burning from morning to evening (Me awake all along) but nada.....

I was very angry that I returned the 3rd candle for $5 return value. I had high hopes for yankee as these are my first purchase.....The candles from walmart(Home Garden stuff) is throwing some smell atleast......

Has their quality gone down or is it like old stock at staples(I wonder if its the reason)???

Any alternative for the smell and good throw? Our living room is big and attached to kitchen and dining room so I thought yankee being the big brand can provide pleasant smell thru out the house (not a lot but atleast little)

Sallysimpson , yes I have burned my candles from morning till night , I have not had the issue you mentioned so I can't comment on it , but at 20.00 dollars for the lg candles that smell great and last longer than Yankee candles I have been very happy with this company

Cowgirl1 Cowgirl1
Mar '15

I never thought of that justwondering...good idea! Kohls candles are are pretty good..9.99 on sale + discount
RES...I think Yankee sells a different line to Staples and Kohls...never had a problem at the Yankee store with quality

Gardenfish Gardenfish
Mar '15

I've been burning YC for over 20 yrs and never had a problem plus you can almost ALWAyS buy them on sale. The YC sold at marshals, tjmaxx are not the same quality as the one from the YC stores. Although we now make a brand specifically for Walmart they are a different quality but still have a great throw!

YCQueen YCQueen
Dec '15

I am very dissapointed with Yankee candle. Something has changed. They use to be my favorite candle. My issue is they tunnel and the wick drowns. I am done with wasting my money on theses candles. Crossroad and wood wick candles are much better.

Ellen Ellen
Mar '16

Another thing to consider (with the B&BW candles anyway) is that you can reuse their jars. Once mine is burnt as far as it will go (practically gone) let it cool and stick in the freezer for a few hours (3 max). Obce you take it out you can take the wax out so easily, clean and reuse for other uses with lid.

I'm not certain about this with other brands but I can imagine it may work if anyone is interested.

I know this is not a new post but wanted to add something. I did buy the ring that goes around the top of the candle and the wick trimmer which helped with the soot. However, I noticed that they don't smell when you burn them anymore. I gave all of my Yankee candles away. Maybe someone else can smell them, I don't know. I've actually given up candles because soot was over every inch in my house. Definitely not worth it so I use the melts. There are so many out there to choose from

Lynn Smith Lynn Smith
Oct '17

I now use the YC wax melts with a burner that's on a timer.

HLamusesme HLamusesme
Oct '17

I really like the B&BW wax melts and candles., more so than Yankee candles.

Birdie Birdie
Oct '17

Yankee Candles suck!! They gave gone wsy down over the years. So many buyers/acquisitions . The price goes up and quality does down. Crazy to gave to put a large jar in every room. Used to be ONE jar diffused my entire apt. So tried of returning. Im done. I buy from dw home candkes and white barn/bbw..
Candlelover...

Amber
Jan '18

Tunneling won't happen if you always let your candle burn so the top half inch or so is all melted. Make sure it gets melted all the way to the edge of the jar.

Barb311 Barb311
Jul '18

I stopped using Yankee Candles Too expensive and they burn a hole down the middle and that’s it. Too Smokey leaves the walls and ceilings a mess. I start coughing and sneezing from them also. I switched over to the candles st shop rite. Less exlpensive and smell great. I love the lavender and vanilla candles.

Bernie van hof
Jul '18

I don't know if it has already been mentioned on the thread, I'm too lazy to look through the whole thing...but I had learned a long time ago to get the best results burning candles that you should burn them at least one hour for each inch wide they are....they will burn down nicely then, not leaving you with a whole down the middle....so if you have a 3-wick that is 5 inches wide, you should burn it for 5 hours before blowing it out...also make sure your wick is trimmed down to about 1/4 of an inch...too much heat makes them burn funky........

littlelu littlelu
Jul '18

My question is simple, I hope. My wife received a gift pack of candles from "My Favorite Things Collection." They are votive candles. We do trim wicks and only burn when we are home and present, (awake). My issue is that there is an awful lot of wax left in the holder after the wick has had it and will burn no more. I'd say a fair estimate is about half the wax from the candle is remaining with no way to use it short of melting and pouring another candle. So, the question. Why does the candle not burn all the way?Our Party Lights candles are gone when the flame goes out. Nothing but the container is left. I have received my monies worth.
Any answers or similar experiences please?

William Stilianessis William Stilianessis
Dec '19

William- I strongly suggest you contact Yankee Candle directly and ask them. They could answer your question about their My favorite Thing Collection, I am sure.

It does seem wasteful with all the wax not consumed. It would keep me from buying that line again for sure.

https://www.yankeecandle.com/customer-service

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.