Neighbor won't stop feeding animals!

Hi there, just wanted to vent and maybe get some feedback. My neighbor is and has been throwing bread and who knows what else off of his deck for the birds and squirrels etc. Hes old and I guess he likes to watch them. The problem is (especially in the winter months) this food draws other animals like skunks, deer, crows and I am afraid one day even a bear or something.
My husband has spoken to him once last year and the man didnt say it but his wife said he would stop. This is after our dog was sprayed by a skunk who was at his deck eating and there was also a rabid skunk circling the food a month or so later.
My dogs are on our property but they have an invisible fence so whatever ventures into his yard can wander into our yard.
Each morning I hear the bread hitting the deck and its starting to aggrivate me. Clearly he never stopped based on our last discussion and I dont think another one will do any good, only cause a problem.

tina55
Oct '12

Mind your own business

Halo
Oct '12

He can throw whatever he wants on his property.

neighborhood watcher
Oct '12

Halo: You are the reason many people won't post on the forum. Did you not read the first sentence, "Hi there, just wanted to vent and maybe get some feedback." I am sure if this was your neighbor you would feel the same way. Would it kill you to be kind!

Good Luck Tina55!

whywouldyoudothat whywouldyoudothat
Oct '12

Unfortunately it's like telling somebody to take down their bird feeder, you really can't do it. It's his yard so he prob. feels he can do whatever he pleases.

Dolce_Vita Dolce_Vita
Oct '12

": You are the reason many people won't post on the forum. Did you not read the first sentence, "Hi there, just wanted to vent and maybe get some feedback"

i think Halo gave his "feedback" which is what the OP was looking for. And i second Halo's suggestion.

darwin darwin
Oct '12

Not much you can do if your husband already spoke to him and nothing happened. My mother used to put all kinds of crap (peanuts, crackers, goldfish, pretzels) out all day long for the squirrels. The neighbors wanted to kill her. Anytime anybody said anything to her about it, she just told them to go to hell. Feisty one, she was. LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '12

Those animals would be there even if he didn't feed them.

You would be surprised whats walking around at night out there.

You could get a live trap and trap them on your property and then re-locate them....but that would be a perpetual chore.

You should be happy that you don't have worse neighbors.....

I guess it depends on if it is illegal or not. Feeding bears is illegal but i'm not sure about other animals. Sure you can usually do what you want on our property but if it infringes on the rights of others that certainly is your business.

Bryan Bryan
Oct '12

Maybe it's time to start saving up for a nice fence, although an ugly one might get your neighbor to see your side of the situation a bit sooner...

(I wouldn't want skunks, groundhogs etc on my property any more than they already are, either. )

Spring Fever
Oct '12

Ahhh, this is why I live where houses aren't on top of each other. I can do as I please in my yard and so can my neighbors...

My feedback is this: It's his yard, feeding the animals makes him happy, he's not going to stop just because you don't like it. Buy that fence that someone suggested. Problem solved.

For what it's worth, Halo did give feedback. The OP didn't specify that it had to be tactful, LOL

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Oct '12

If it bothers you so much then invest in a BB gun and shoot the little critters.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '12

Metstman - Stop trying to draw out happy girl. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '12

I agree with Halo

MikeL MikeL
Oct '12

Yeah, she's just a wonderful debater. LOL

Metsman Metsman
Oct '12

Here's why this thread is dumb... people have gardens in their yards. They attract critters. No different than throwing bread crumbs and the likes outside. Bears can get into bird feeders. Etc etc etc. You can't try to take away people's freedom. So suck it up and move on with your life. Don't let your dogs roam outside at night. Problem solved.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '12

"This is after our dog was sprayed by a skunk who was at his deck eating..."

What was your dog doing on the neighbor's deck? Shouldn't he be on a leash or something?

ianimal ianimal
Oct '12

no, the skunk was at the deck eating and then came in between his and our yard and sprayed my dog.

I figured people were going to say get a fence...we will work on that.

Thanks

tina55
Oct '12

Grin and "bear" it ! There's one in every neighborhood-that's what makes the world go round!

Forum Fan
Oct '12

Wow. You know I never thought about this affecting other people. I toss bread and fruits off my deck all the time. We have a beagle so no big animals come by - just birds and squirrels. I've never seen anything else, but them again I never really thought much about it because, well it's my yard. If I see my neighbors outside I am going to ask them if it bothers them.

As for your situation, what if you just got the couple a nice bird feeder and/or bird bath as a holiday gift? I bet you could get a great deal now that summer clearance is out in stores. Bring your dog out for walks when he is around and let him get to know/befriend your pooch. If he takes an interest in the dog, he is more likely to be concerned about its welfare you know? It sounds like the man might just be a lonely nature lover. Maybe a bird house or bat house kit to occupy his time? Give him seeds to plant that grow things like butterfly bushes and other things that attract non threatening wildlife. Someone else suggested a fence and that is also a good idea ( very pricey though). Good luck!

Antimony Antimony
Oct '12

"Each morning I hear the bread hitting the deck and its starting to aggrivate me"

really??

How far are you from that deck? The bread must be rock hard.

Give him fresh bread so the noise wont bother you....
And if the animals get on your property then you worry about it.

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
Oct '12

That's one bad ass skunk... he goes over to the neighbor's house and has some dinner, then he sees your dog who is simply hanging out in your yard and minding his own business and decides to saunter over and spray him unprovoked?

Or, your dog saw him eating and was dumb enough to go after him? On the bright side, your dog likely won't make that same mistake again.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '12

The family is old and set in their ways. God love 'em. My 88 yr. Old friend who is now in warren haven did this all of the time while she lived there. I caretake her home along with the 3 indoor cats that have a marvelous bay window along with a bench along the window adorned with cat beds to watch the outdoor birds that i feed black oil bird seed. Did you know that bear and other wild animals eat birdseed? Instead of "yelling or shouting" i ask you neighbor to consider the fact that they are older people who have maybe been there longer than you. Dont tell them what to do as they dont need to be harangued. They are your fellow human beings and this brings them joy. For cryin out loud...my friend used to make pb&j sandwiches for outdoor wildlife friends like the racoons. Everyone adored barbara. Maybe get yourself a really nice birdfeeder and feed the birds. And maybe it will bring a smile to your face. Befriend your neighbors if you can as nobody is getting younger.......? Regards...just the facts maam

just the facts maam just the facts maam
Oct '12

Antimony,

Well, it's not like this is an activity that bothers all neighbors. I say continue as you are. Why open a potention can of worms? Most likely if your neighbors had a problem with it they would have the sense to speak to you about it.

Oct '12

Im with Halo sorry

wiindow
Oct '12

My mom has been throwing bread and peanuts out back for as long as I can remember. She loves her little "Chippy" when he stuffs two or three peanuts in his cheeks. And she laughs when two or three squirrels race around and play trying to get their share. Oh and when the squawking blue jays come! Mom even "hides" some of the treats to see how long it takes Chippy to find them all.

There usually isn't anything leftover by the time the nocturnal critters come out.

honey badger honey badger
Oct '12

We need to be considerate of our neighbors. When I lived in a townhouse I put up a bird feeder. One day I noticed how many shells and debris fell onto the sidewalk. I swept it up and started buying sunflower hearts...no mess! It was more expensive but it prevented a lot of grief!

Lady Jayne Lady Jayne
Oct '12

Lady Jayne the difference is you live in a townhouse so you technically don't own any land. The seeds were falling onto the sidewalk which is communal property. This guy is free to feed animals on his property.

I see no real harm being done here.

darwin darwin
Oct '12

If you happen to get animals in your yard that are dangerous, just shoo them away! Isn't that what people in the bear thread wanted?

btownguy btownguy
Oct '12

Honey badger, my younger Grandkids would love hiding a few peanuts in my back yard and seeing how long it took for the squirrels to find them. I may try that with them.
Thanks for the idea!

Spring Fever
Oct '12

Honey badger, my younger Grandkids would love hiding a few peanuts in my back yard and seeing his long it took for the squirrels to find them. I may try that with them.
Thanks for the idea!

Spring Fever
Oct '12

Love it , Honey Badger :D Lets have a "tick off Tina" game. Let's start with Chippy-like stories as to how to befriend our fellow outdoor creature family . LOL. Wellllll...i knew of someone who had befriended a vulture and actually took pics of him and named him Vultchie. (I do not lie). She loves her outdoor family and they are her life. Buys
Apples for the deer and they absolutely love her, adore her and cherish her. And waitvfor her. It is so prescious. Those critters wll defend her with their life til the day that they die. Pleeeeze...more Chippy stories. In all seriousness...i am so in tune with the outdoor wildlife and am so sensitive when i hear these sweet stories of love extended to them. It brings me to tears actually. And my elderly friend Mary is safely in warren haven now and worries and frets about her wildlife on her property. Because, as Tina doesnt realize maybe; this is what people live for. And with all of the grief and bad stuff in this world. What the heck. Feed the wildlife. Theyll come around regardless. Theyre all over the place. I love talking to the fawn on Marys property. So peaceful...

Oct '12

Let the old man feed the animals. Find something else to complain about.

Sally
Oct '12

Build a fence or move

I guess I'm not really surprised at the responses on this thread, given the fact that nowadays, the mentality is " me, me, me". Being neighborly has clearly gone the way of the dinosaurs. Just because you own property, doesn't give you the right to create a nuisance on your property or the surrounding properties.

Tracy Tracy
Oct '12

Finally someone said it right. Kudos to you Tracy!

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Oct '12

Tina,
I feel your pain and can sympathize with you but it is his property. Yes he should be more considerate, especially after you've voiced your concerns previously. I currently live in an apartment (different I know, so don't attack me about "it's not your land blah blah blahs") but the previous tenant fed the squirrels off the balcony and now we have a major squirrel problem. They continuously climb our screen door and try to move it to get in the house. Plus they are way too comfortable with people and are not scared by shouting (as a country girl myself, any animal that is not scared is not to be trusted!). So I understand it's a pain. Maybe another neighborly discussion? Try not to let your frustrations get out of control and make am unfortunate situation worse.
Best of Luck :-)

PianoGirl PianoGirl
Oct '12

Tracy, you got the "me, me, me" part right, but you directed it at the wrong person/people. A couple of squirrels and skunks is considered such a "nuisance" that one would attempt to deprive an old man of a simple pleasure?

ianimal ianimal
Oct '12

Well said Ian.

Just by reading this thread you can tell who has neighbor issues and who doesn't. Most neighbors aren't perfect, but they could always be worse...

Oct '12

What if the food began to draw mice or even worse, rats? Maybe I'm a wimp, but I could never deliberately do something that a neighbor objected to, especially if the neighbor lived close by. There are really nice and safe birdfeeders and even squirrel feeders available for those who enjoy wildlife. Why can't we all just get along? Just saying.

Lady Jayne Lady Jayne
Oct '12

Lady Jayne - I don't know where you live, but I live across from about 800+ acres or woodlands. Which is without a doubt infested with every type of vermin native to Warren County. What could my neighbor possibly draw that wasn't already close by?

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '12

It's the "what ifs" that make me laugh! What if this, what if that. Well, until what if happens, don't give what if no mind. Let the poor guy enjoy the wildlife!

Another entertaining day on Hackettstown Life. Sure beats daytime TV!

John C John C
Oct '12

John C, I don't see how you find this entertaining when people are intentionally trying to piss someone off for seeking feedback. I find it sick!

whywouldyoudothat whywouldyoudothat
Oct '12

The OP wanted feed back. They're getting it.

It's just not the feedback that they wanted...

Oct '12

whose intentionally trying to piss anyone off??

darwin darwin
Oct '12

I hope he is providing a drink to the animals too...

Oct '12

Actually.....I find whywouldyoudothat to be the most entertaining poster of the day! Next you'll tell us the squirrels are playing with the nuts instead of eating them.

John C John C
Oct '12

one thing you learn quick in this forum....

if you want someone's opinion YOU WILL get it, and more.
Legal, relationships, parenting, pets, sports, divorce, food, financial, racism....anything you want...

Oct '12

BEG - Especially if he is putting out leftover cupcakes. He wouldn't want to get into litigation.......

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '12

better have drinks with those cupcakes Calico, I wouldn't want to be a witness in court against you ;)

John C John C
Oct '12

About the critters in the woods - it is one thing to have them roaming around in the woods. It is another to have them lured to your property with the promise of food.

One way they are roaming around and maybe a few are near you and the other way there are significantly more near you.

That being said - Fences make good neighbors. It is unfortunate, but other than noise or physical, I dont think there is much you can or should do about neighbors.

TM

Troublemaker Troublemaker
Oct '12

How are fences going to keep squirrels and critters out?

Christine Christine
Oct '12

Sometimes you just want someone to say " your right that sucks" or "yes that's annoying" for someone to hear you out so to speak. But then you have your regular hackettstown lifers that always have a smart ass comment. So this one is for you.. Yes, it sucks, and yes that's Annoying

S@hm
Oct '12

I don't think so, ianimal. All of the suggestions on this thread were for OP to build a costly fence or move. So OP has to deal with a nuisance, whether you think it one or not, at their expense. In this case, just because it's a little old man watching the squirrels, it's okay to inconvenience your neighbors?

Yes, Lori, it is obvious. The people who side with OP are the ones with neighbor issues, or perhaps just people with compassion and consideration for others. The ones saying to "mind your own business" are probably the obnoxious neighbors.

Tracy Tracy
Oct '12

So many good comments...Halo, Lori, ianimal, calico, BEG

This topic should have been put in the Venting thread as people like to "give feedback" there also ( whether it is asked for or not).

Seems putting up a fence in the only solution. Sad we can't live side by side and accept that everyone has different desires. Elderly people don't get out like many people. I know so many people that love to sit by the window and watch the animals - besides the TV it may be their only contact with the outdoor world.

Firefly Firefly
Oct '12

So what is your suggestion, Tracy? She's already spoken to him. What can she do beyond that?

Well, if he is really old, you could just wait......

MikeL MikeL
Oct '12

Did anyone read anything from the OP complaining about the feedback? I didn't.

Tracy, if your dog barks and I consider that to be an inconvenience, should you get rid of your dog? And I don't mean constantly or late at night.. I mean EVER. Say I don't like the sound of dogs barking... does that mean that everyone in the neighborhood needs to "not be obnoxious" and get rid of their dogs?

ianimal ianimal
Oct '12

As another poster mentioned.. The animals would probably be there anyway. I agree. Also we humans are the ones infringing on animals properly... So lighten up a lil. Enjoy the view and control only that which you can. (Eg... Not our neighbor)

Just me Just me
Oct '12

There are more important things in life to worry about! Be thankful for the roof over your head and a yard. Some people don't have that. This may be the one thing that the old man next door has to look forward to. He could be doing something a whole heck of a lot worse than feeding squirrels. Wild animals are going to wander into back yards....it's not because of this man throwing bread out. Just my thoughts on this.

nice neighbor
Oct '12

This man is not harming anyone. Leave him be to enjoy his golden years. I wish the sound of bread hitting a deck was all I had to deal with as an annoyance. The OP is certainly of the mindset "me, me, me", not the neighbor who is getting some pleasure and taking care of the wildlife.

"tina" there are so many more important things in life to worry about and stress over. Give this couple and yourself a break.

MB, that's just the thing. The reason it is so frustrating is because there really is nothing you can do besides move or deal with it. That is why being considerate of others is important. It sucks that some people don't get that.

ianimal, simple. You keep your dog quiet. As a dog owner, it's what I do. I happen to be one of those people that doesn't like dog barking. I don't like hearing my own dog bark. I won't subject her noise to others, that's why I deal with her barking when it occurs. I loathe hearing my rude, obnoxious, inconsiderate neighbors' dog bark night and day, but I can't do anything about it, because they don't care and we can't afford to move from this hell hole right now.

Tracy Tracy
Oct '12

tina55, there are granules you can buy that keep small critters away. You would have to sprinkle the stuff on the border of the yards. It could get pricey if it rains alot, as I think you would need to spread the granules again after any rain. On the plus side, I think your dogs will know to stay away from skunks now if they see one. The other critters you mention are a fact of country life. And the neighbor is free as a bird to feed them (except bears). I would not suggest talking to him again. He knows how you feel, and there is nothing more you can do. He really is not harming anyone. You should to turn your focus to something more positive before it ruins every day for you.

@Christine,

Fences will perhaps not keep squirrels out. Generally they should keep raccoons, deer, perhaps gophers and foxes out - if they are solid fence.

As to squirrels, not sure that is a problem but if it is, certainly a fence will make them less likely to come through because they will have to make an effort to do that and unless there is a good reason, they probably wont do it.

Do I know animal behavior? No. But it seems pretty solid in the common sense area.

@S@hm - I am reminded of a response that I put on the bear thread. If you wanted sympathy, you shouldnt have posted here. You should get that from your family or girlfriend.

A fence is expensive but bottom line, it is his property. If you want to do something about it, you can only do something to your property. A la fence.

TM

Troublemaker Troublemaker
Oct '12

Alas; sighhhhh ;) if a fence is built; tina would not be able to hear the bread drop off of the deck. Pretty much guarantee it. "Just a thought.

Oct '12

I don't mean this in a snarky way at all..... but like the old chestnut goes, "Good fences make good neighbors". Maybe you should consider putting up a real fence.

Gadfly Gadfly
Oct '12

Calico..loved the story about your mother..my kind of lady. Not sure why the only way to solve the problem and keep the peace is for the old man to stop what he's doing on his property. I am curious how one hears bread hitting the deck though, not being rude, really need to know. Are they big, stale pieces that are thrown down from a distance. I'm imagining torn up sliced bread making noise. Also, I thought he was throwing the bread off the deck which made me think it was going on the ground. I think I missed something here. There seems to be an awful lack of tolerance these days, not just here, everywhere!

Bessie Bessie
Oct '12

I can relate to "neighbor issues" that's for sure! I don't know if you will be able to do anything to stop him from feeding the animals. I think this is a common thing for the older generation since I know my grandmother has done this ever since I can remember.
Not to make you even more paranoid about it, but I had a similar situation years ago that didn't turn out so well. My first apartment was in an old farmhouse outside of Newton (Hampton) Sussex County. There was nothing but farmlands around us. Well one of the guys living in another apartment started throwing all of his food scraps out in the yard (not sure if he was feeding animals or what) but after some time I noticed a hole had been chewed through the wall where I kept the dog food. Then I started hearing chewing in the walls at night. After contacting the landlord and having him hire an exterminator, the result was we had rats! The exterminator looked around the property and spoke with everyone and he stated that the food was what attracted them and once he stopped putting it out there they moved into the building looking for another food source. He also told us rats travel in packs from 5 to 500 and we had a whole colony!!! Gross!!!!! Not sure if the problem was ever resolved since the landlord let me break my lease and I moved.
So the food can attract some very unwelcome visitors!!

I have been wondering the same thing. Seems a tad overdramatic to me.
I'm also trying to figure out why HE is the one expected to give up what he loves to do to make her happy. How does one neighbor trying to dictate what another neighbor can do or not do on their own property make that person the "good" neighbor? Pay their mortgage and their property tax bill and then you can decide if he feeds the wildlife.

JessMphone JessMphone
Oct '12

Re: Neighbor won't stop feeding animals!

This is no different than having bird feeders and I would be pretty p*ssed if my neighbor asked me to remove them.

Bonv- What a cool idea

I throw bread in the yard ALLL the time ....why throw it away when an animal will eat it. In the winter I throw out even more stuff.

nosila nosila
Oct '12

so what

mystydawn mystydawn
Oct '12

I think it's absolutely INSANE to ask this man to stop feeding the squirrels....it's their property and it's not illegal

I think the only nuisance is the person asking someone not to throw bread out on their own lawn. It's not illegal to feed the birds, deer, or squirrels.

Thanks for reminding me why I choose to not live where houses are so close together.

nosila nosila
Oct '12

I throw bread out all the time as well. I hate throwing food out and thought it was a good thing to feed the animals. I never even thought it would bother my neighbors. None have complained YET.

Tweety Tweety
Oct '12

I also do it. ALthough the bears help themselves to the garbage all the time. The chipmunks, squirrels and birds are fed well at my house. I sit at my table out at my deck and watch them have a feast.

Christine Christine
Oct '12

I also agree that you should mind your own business or move. You are severely out of touch with reality if you imagine that this man is doing anything wrong. You are the one with the problem. You are the one that is bothered. Move to a condo if you are afraid of the birds, deer, or squirrels. It is not normal to get so worked up about something like this.

Aurora
Oct '12

Try a fence so you dont have to see it anymore. I started fencing and I am thrilled that I dont have to see my neighboors anymore. I still do have to chase their cat out of my yard but its for the cats safety my dog will kill it.

WOW this is really unbelievable ... and very sad. I am def with Halo. You might want to try and be happy that this 'old' man has some found some peace and joy in feeding the critters. I imagine he prob fought in a war for your freedom - maybe you can spare him some?

BNice!
Oct '12

I have a neighbor like that and yes the bears know, bc every year they come through my property to feed!! Big bears ,small bears, mother bears with their cubs,they come in all sizes and I have small children and it bothers me to no end that she does that because she's putting my children in danger. Like you all said we live in nature there's enough food for those animals they don't need to get it from people!!!!!!!!!!!!

My opinion My opinion
Oct '12

Tracy, that's kind of my point. So there's nothing that can be done, what is the point on dwelling on inconsiderate neighbors? Just live and let live and try to put annoyance aside. And I know it's easier said than done, but focusing on the negative when you can do nothing about it is pretty unproductive.

I've seen your posts on many different threads complaining about your neighbors. It sounds like a miserable existence! And I feel for you, I really do. This is why I avoided the townhouse/condo life and moved to where I can't even see my neighbors.

i like to feed the small animals- birds, squirrels , chipmunks and even deer. I love the bears but it worries me that people either feed them or don"t secure their garbage cans. what if they become the dreaded "problem bear " and need to be relocated or even killed?
any way i agree that the old man should be left alone to feed the animals. oh and BTW- even condo dwellers like animals.

a good day
Oct '12

"Let the old man feed the animals. Find something else to complain about."
Best line of the day.

sister j
Oct '12

cv- "Try a fence so you dont have to see it anymore. I started fencing and I am thrilled that I dont have to see my neighboors anymore. I still do have to chase their cat out of my yard but its for the cats safety my dog will kill it."
Really a funny thread and I know you did not mean to be funny- that's why it is hilarious. Thanks.
And I do agree but maybe the cranky woman lives in a condo. Seems like the elderly man should be complaining. hahahhah
It may all be a moot point after the storm. She might be asking him for food.

sister j
Oct '12

My question to you is..."who was there first"? My guess is the elderly couple. And if so...my response would be..."how dare you". ? And, yes Tina. You have rights too. But you also have the right to have him thumb his nose at you. And I say to the elderly couple ..."YOU GO"....... :D

Oct '12

My opinion,

Please don't speak for the rest of us. We didn't ALL say that there's enough food for the animals. Personally, I don't think that there is. BTW, you make it sound like there are bears in your yard 24/7. Is that the case? I mean 12 exclamation points... Wow...

Oct '12

I hope your neighbor is reading this thread lol

unseenman
Oct '12

I'm sorry that your dog got sprayed by a skunk, that sucks and is unpleasant for both you and the dog so I could understand your annoyance. However, we live in a very wooded and rural area so even without his encouraging the animals to visit there are plenty of natural food sources and they will be there anyway. We have bird feeders set up and occasionally throw bread or fruit/veggies that have gone bad off our deck for the animals. However, they are all over the place even if the feeders run out and its been weeks since we tossed any food out they still crawl all over our property.

My point is that even if he stopped feeding them, it's not necessarily going to keep them away and you can still have bear, deer, skunk visiting you and your dog because of the area we live in, so I personally don't think that this is something worth creating more tension over. I do think, though, that his wife should have never given the impression that he would stop because that has made it more frustrating.

Peaches Peaches
Oct '12

What one neighbor does on their property is their business, until it encroaches on your peace. If your neighbor insists on throwing food in their yard you can expect there to eventually be rats in your yard and then very quickly thereafter in your home.

You might want to casually mention that you have had to start spreading rat poison along the property line to prevent "his" animals from getting into your yard. Telling him that they really wolf it down when you put it in the bread might have an impact too.

As to weather you actually do it, that is another matter.

I am with BNice! and Halo.

"WOW this is really unbelievable ... and very sad. I am def with Halo. You might want to try and be happy that this 'old' man has some found some peace and joy in feeding the critters. I imagine he prob fought in a war for your freedom - maybe you can spare him some?"

Move out

JoanStandmore JoanStandmore
Oct '12

no, the skunk was at the deck eating and then came in between his and our yard and sprayed my dog.

I figured people were going to say get a fence...we will work on that.

Thanks

tina55
1 day ago

Just a thought. tina55 posted a vent yesterday at 8:42 and posted ONE response at 10:09. I give her a lot of credit for staying out of this free-for-all. Maybe she tuned out. Either way, good for her!

On the lighter side. My wife was feeding the squirrels peanuts so much that one day I looked up and saw one sitting on the ledge watching the football game with me. I kid you not ! it was hilarious.....

I have a 6 ft fence around my backyard and live in the middle of town. My dogs get skunk sprayed every couple of years (no, they don't seem to learn). And I have had young raccoons sitting in the tree in the front yard, watching through the living room window; Looked like they were hoping for an invite inside. The wildlife will come if they are interested.

Ingrid Ingrid
Oct '12

tina55,

I never had a problem with feeding the birds and we had a nice bird feeder in front of our house for almost 2 years until last Saturday when we woke up and found out that a bear had came and had destroyed the very heavy duty/metal bird feeder and had bent the metal pole like a U in order to get to the seeds.

That made me realized that I was not only attracting birds but bears and other animals too and so we decided to put away all kinds of food we had for them which is sad because we still get lots of them looking for food but I am not taking any chances on having a bear so close to my front door again.

Unfortunately my neighbor next door doesn't think the same about the bear issue and keeps her garbage cans outside every single day and even though it's just not right and I would like to ask her to please stop I realized that it's her property and she can do whatever she wants and if the bear comes back it will be her problem if it destroys her cans or other property.

Good luck to you and I hope you don't get to meet Mr. Bear or more skunks anytime soon... yikes!!

Becareful what you wish for. If he stops feeding them they may start eating your plants, pumpkins etc. Our dog has gotten sprayed numerous times, we have deer, groundhogs etc, and we don't have anyone that I can see feeding the animals. It's a shame that what makes one persons day, can ruin anothers.

Sunshine Sunshine
Oct '12

There are too many mean people out there like you, move to the city in a condo or something? The animals need to be fed because there are too many people too many houses and no where for the animals to live! I bought land and houses for sanctuaries just for the animals to live on. I guess that makes me an angel and you the devil.

Dilly Dilly
Oct '12

Dilly - no that just makes you someone that feeds the animals. It takes a lot more to be an angel.

Firefly Firefly
Oct '12

Simple solution: propose that your neighbor puts up a feeder or two for birds. It's likely that s/he is just bored and likes to watch the animals eat. Feeders will stop them from throwing food.

Someone
Oct '12

Really!! Maybe you should just move to the city! Seams like the skunk was there first, and if your dog was sprayed in the front of your house who's falt is it then?? Call it nature honey! May then you could blame yourself might have smelled your garbage can that was set out then night before!! Skunks are everywheres it dosent matter if you neighbor feeds the animals its his property. Keep your dog in your own yard, you would if they had a dog that was mean or you didnt like ..right?

Timi
Oct '12

Timi: Are you still talking to the OP? He/she has been gone (wisely) for days.

Dilly, God bless your kind heart but you couldn't be more wrong about the wildlife. The wildlife you see in your yard isn't there bc they have nowhere else to go, they are there bc they like the suburban habitat we've made. They don't need our help but they do take advantage of it.

Gadfly Gadfly
Oct '12

I feed the animals all the time. Its life and they are part of it. No animals, no you.

dore33 dore33
Oct '12

Take them to court - http://www.nj.com/bergen/index.ssf/2013/06/bergen_couple_facing_fine_for_feeding_birds_in_yard_to_return_to_court_in_september.html#incart_river_default

@BLD, Really?? "Alfred Rockefeller is disabled and the 77-year-old says feeding birds is one of his joys." You think this is ok to sue a person like this? This is so stupid to sue someone over this. Don't people have better stuff to do. Mind your own business!
"Land of the free"!!!

villani villani
Jun '13

I have another thread up somewhere on here, but my neighbors won't stop feeding the stray cats they leave dishes of food out all day and all night and it is brining bears, skunks, and racoons into the area and I get acted to walk my dog at night because there has been a vicious attack to another of my neighbors dogs by a skunk who thought the dog was going by the food. And the cats get into fights with the skunks and racoons as well . And bears should not be in an apartment complex.. but they want the easy access food .I wish people would listen to the law and stop feeding outdoor animals... They can find their own food like they have done for years. Ur killing wildlife they will forget how to hunt for themselves

proudmom12 proudmom12
Jun '13

Um, why was your neighbor walking their dog so close to some one else's dwelling? People who have outdoor cats (not strays) leave food outside for them as well. So people should not have outdoor cats either?

somechick somechick
Jun '13

somechick - I don't think we're talking about just one single cat's dish that would not be a problem. Ten or more dishes all scatter around a yard that bring a whole band of animals at one time is a totally different story. When there are that many animals around, even if you're just walking by on a sidewalk and the house is set well back, it's close enough that a dog is going to react. There are situations like that out there.

We used to have a bird feeder but took it down when a bear started ripping apart our neighbor's bird feeders. We started putting out stale bread for the squirrels and chipmunks, not a whole lot, just enought for them to eat right away. By sunset, there is never anything left for the nocturnal creatures and the bears are so busy with the garbage in the rest of the neighborhood that they don't visit our yard. So I wouldn't recommend giving the old man a bird feeder.

Wendy Wendy
Jun '13

outside cats should be on a schedule. Food should not be left out 24/7. They will learn what time you feed them and be there, maybe 8 or 9 AM and then 8PM and bring in the food before dark. When the time changes feed at 5PM. You are putting these cats in great danger (and your neighbors) by leaving food out and attracting skunks and raccoons, that could be carrying rabies. I believe they could also be fined. Try to find a law about feeding wild animals (cats are not wild animals) make a few copies of it and stick it in your neighbors door or mailbox.
I believe in our township, you are not supposed to put out birdseed from April till ? Nov. because of the bears. By putting out birdseed you are feeding the bears which is illegal.

4paws 4paws
Jun '13

No, what I mean is I live in. An apartment complex and there is multiple stray cats outside they are not outdoor pets they are stray not people friendly have no home but the neighbors put multiple dishes out for the strays . Every building there us like at least 5 people putting up to 5 dishes each outside . The lady who's dog got attacked itwwasn't her fault the dishes of food are everywhere and the skunk was on the other side of the bush and when she walked around it the skunk went after the dog.

proudmom12 proudmom12
Jun '13

I was just googling this issue because I have a similar problem. Bears, frequent our neighborhood however (as in walk around in our streets and backyards) and we are in a gated community that has warned residents not to leave out garbage, food, etc. We are not allowed to have bird feeders. Anyway, our neighbor keeps throwing bread, rolls etc. into their lawn, which is adjacent to ours. There are woods behind our house and many animals. Don't get me wrong. I love wildlife and would like to leave out food for the animals myself but don't do it out of kindness for the animals because attracting the bears ends up ultimately getting them killed. We also have small children so have to be concerned for their safety. So what do I do? In our state, there is a hefty fine for feeding bears but I like our neighbors and really don't want to report them.

Jen - You may want to tell the neighbors that the bear are up from the winter. We had a bear sleeping in our woods about 5 days ago between 2 trees and hidden and my husband let the dog out and did not see it right away and got the dog back in before the dog smelled him luckily. Your neighbors may not know the bear even live close by. Bear can smell sunflower seed up to a mile away(I have heard). Until I told one of my neighbors that I had seen bear, they had no idea there were bear around. They had pet rabbits outside and a few weeks later the rabbits were killed by the bear, so sad. The bear are not out all the time so you can live here totally unaware. I emailed my neighbors about the bear and some said they were bringing in their feeders. That same neighbor said they once had a bear scratching at their door. They will come back for many weeks when they find a food source so is very dangerous. This area is loaded. I have seen them in the am walking in the park, two at a time. My husband walks in the park with a bottle of bear spray all the time and has seen them 20 feet away a number of times and luckily were scared and ran the other way. So just telling your neighbors that you have heard the bear are up may scare them if they don't know. I am attaching a pic of the big guy after he woke up that same day and headed into our yard and my husband got a picture. He sent the pic to a friend who deals with big game and showed him the bear scat nearby and he said the bear was getting into bird feeders because he saw seed in the scat. I am off Willow Grove and lots of bear because there are lots of woods and close to the park. Good luck.

Bigfoot Bigfoot
Mar '14

be glad your neighbor is feeding the animals and not butting in to your business..

leave your neighbor alone and be happy!

Summer Summer
Mar '14

It's amazing that so many people feel the "it's not bothering anyone mentality." Tracy is absolutely right. The "me, me, me" thinking of today. I have a neighbor who is throwing feed on his driveway and backyard and daily there are skunks, squirrels, groundhogs, and birds eating. At night, deer come out. Including an eight point buck that I came face to face with a month ago. And now because of the draw of all these animals, we have seen now, two sightings of coyotes running through the yard. These animals are dangerous. Deer carry ticks and can attack (especially an eight point buck). Coyotes are vicious. Skunks spray. There are children here. I don't want them getting hurt, nor do I want to get hurt or sprayed bc my neighbor is enjoying himself. Why should I spend money to put up a fence? They aren't cheap. I have other pressing financial obligations at the moment, and I don't need to worry about medical on top of it, or adding a fence simply bc my neighbor feels he isn't doing any harm. He is. And other neighbors are complaining as well. This wasn't an issue years ago, and within the last two years it's getting worse. This isn't a what-if scenario. It's only a matter of time now.

What many of you do not get is that by feeding these wild animals you are inviting trouble into your home as well as the surrounding homes. Have any of you stopped and considered what will happen when the old folks stop feeding these critters? Do any of you know that if you feed them long enough and then stop, that there is the very real possibility that they will chew their way into the surrounding homes!? Maybe not the skunks but squirrels most certainly will. Have any of you seen what squirrels can do to metal bird feeders? They chew right through them.
OP you have a legitimate problem, if the old folks want to feed them, then I say go to the darn park ! Squirrels are VERY destructive, problematic critters and can become dangerous if in your house if they are rabbid.
I am shocked at how so many think that this is cute behavior and is perfectly ok. Feeding these critters also invites mice and rats in as well. Good luck OP

Gone Nut too Gone Nut too
May '16

4 year old thread, dormant for 2 years, resurrected from the compost pile.

Agust Agust
May '16

Yeah with a crazy rant too! LOL. All I can picture are groups of crazed squirrels carrying small weapons wreaking havoc all over small towns.

They're a bit strange in New Hampshire.

for the record: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/deerfeed.htm
The Division of Fish and Wildlife receives numerous inquiries regarding the feeding of deer and other wildlife, especially in winter. Supplemental feeding is not necessary to sustain wildlife populations and the division advises against it (though backyard bird feeding during winter months is acceptable). People should keep in mind that that deer and other wildlife are wild animals and have adapted to cope to the sometimes harsh winter weather, including deep snow, cold temperatures and high winds.

Feeding is defined as placing food, either natural or artificially produced, with the intent of supplementing the naturally occurring food available to deer in their normal home range. Supplemental feeding does not include leaving unharvested agricultural crops, leaving agricultural bi-products in place after normally accepted harvesting, cutting native vegetation or artificially fertilizing herbaceous or woody sites, or baiting for the purposes of hunting.

Feeding of wild deer is undesirable because:

Feeding increases reproductive potential.
Deer with higher nutrition levels have larger litter sizes and breed earlier. Does dependent solely upon natural food sources generally breed at 1.5 years of age and give birth to a single fawn. Does with supplemental food breed at 6 months of age and give birth to one fawn; 1.5 year olds generally have twins, and triplets are not uncommon in older does.
Deer lose their fear of humans.
In NJ, deer are considered a "potentially dangerous species" because of their ability to inflict serious physical harm to humans with their hooves and antlers. Male deer become more aggressive during the breeding season, and females may become defensive of their fawns. The last reported attack of a deer on a person was in 2012 in Lake Hopatcong, NJ. Deer that become problematic are usually euthanized.
Feeding enhances the spread of disease and parasites, and may compromise the health of non-target species.
Concentrating deer in unnaturally high numbers around food piles increases nose-to-nose contact and may heighten the transmission of pathogens and parasites. Additionally, large piles of supplemental foods like corn often develop toxic fungi, which cause ill effects to both deer and other animals that come to the food pile.
Deer feeders are bad neighbors.
Deer cannot meet all their nutritional needs from a food pile, and will consume the plantings of surrounding properties or devastate the surrounding natural environment after the supplemental food is consumed. Because feeding concentrates deer in unnaturally high numbers, environmental damage is often severe.
Feeding can change behavioral patterns.
Feeding may cause deer to cross roadways they normally would not, increasing the potential for deer-vehicle collisions.
Feeding can sicken and kill deer.
Deer, like most animals, have symbiotic microorganisms in their digestive system which enable them to break down the cellulose found in plant matter. As the seasons slowly change from one to another, so too do these organisms change to accommodate the change in available natural foods. When deer are fed high carbohydrate foods out of season they lack the necessary gut microflora to digest these foods. This can result in a condition known as lactic acidosis, which causes bloating, diarrhea, enteritis, and in some cases, death.

Some states have banned the feeding of deer as a preventative measure to prevent the spread of disease before Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) has been found; other states have banned feeding in reaction to the discovery of CWD. CWD was found in New York in 2005, with no recurrences to date. CWD is active in West Virginia, and has been found in Virginia in 2010, Maryland in 2011, and Pennsylvania in 2012.

The primary consequence to NJ of finding of CWD in our state is the concern of a reduction in the ability to actively manage our wild white-tailed deer population through sport hunting. This would result in an increase in agricultural and horticultural damage, increased deer-vehicle collisions, and the loss of millions of dollars in revenue to businesses which support the hunting community throughout the state.

Deer do not need human assistance for survival, even in the worst NJ winter. They have evolved for millennia without a human-supplied food source and will continue to thrive. Deer are beautiful wild animals and should be afforded the respect they deserve. Wildlife lovers are encouraged to enjoy their presence passively and allow them to live as the wild animals they are."

So, you know, don't go crazy over a well-intentioned elderly neighbor, but also, don't feed wildlife as a habit. Old thread but important point to keep wildlife wild and not any more dependent on our suburban sprawl than they already are.

kepa
May '16

Don't be so gullible, kepa.

happiest girl
May '16

Hmmm. Let me analyze those arguments.

"Feeding increases reproductive potential."
- If the deer population increases, the state can simply authorize the legal hunting of more deer. More happy hunters, more free food for humans.

"Deer lose their fear of humans."
- A deer attacked someone in 2012, but more than 4.5 MILLION people were bitten by dogs in the US, last year.

"Feeding enhances the spread of disease and parasites, and may compromise the health of non-target species."
- So, it’s bad for 6 deer to eat together, because they might share germs, but it’s okay to pack 72 kids onto a school bus?

"Deer feeders are bad neighbors."
- By that same logic, since dogs are carnivores, if they are ever hungry, they will automatically kill and eat their neighbors' children.

"Feeding can change behavioral patterns."
- Feeding deer also means they do not need to roam as far, and in less predictable patterns, to forage for food, which actually DECREASES the potential for deer-related collisions.

"Feeding can sicken and kill deer."
- The same can be said for Taco Bell burritos, but people still eat them.

That’s your tax dollars at work. $353 Million a year, for the State’s Department of Fish and Wildlife, and THAT is the best they can come up with.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
May '16

JerseyWolf -
An intelligent post.
Thank-you!!

happiest girl
May '16

The OP stated they have dogs....I wonder how often tey are left outside barking and annoying the other neighbors...

"People in glass houses"...Believe is the phrase.

Steven Steven
May '16

Oh sure, Fish and Game are full of it. Ever heard of Chronic Wasting Disease? Not an insignificant threat to wildlife. We have WAY too many deer in NJ. Why perpetuate them in an unnatural way?
Deer losing their fear of humans isn't bad for attacks, ha, but increased wandering and proliferation in our human-inhabited area.
Deer don't go to taco bell.
The state DOES NOT increase hunting enough to control the herd, and hunting cannot happen in suburbs or towns where deer are problem. Hunting deer in Wittingham and Walpack unfortunately does not help the overbrowsed small pockets of forest scattered throughout Northern NJ that are the most vulnerable.
Have you ever seen a deer exclosure area at a state park, and how many more varied and threatened understory plants are growing there? Deer threaten the makeup of our forest ecology, which has long reaching effects. In a heavily browsed area invasive plants like multiflora and barberry that deer do not eat become the dominant species and heavily decrease the crucial balance in ecology that supports native plants, hemlocks, fungus, and the health of the forest.
Y'all are gullible, or just really like the overgrown rats with hooves.
There were nearly no deer here due to hunting in 1900, now there's WAY too many!

kepa
May '16

Get bigger bread and try to attract bigger animals that'll show your neighbor...

Halo is right. Id be willing to bet this isn't your first issue with neighbors and from their point of view, they're living next to a nosy PITA.

paybackisfun paybackisfun
May '16

You are so right JerseyWolf. Feeding animals processed food like bread are killing them not helping them.

people should mind their own business m,y neighbor harassed me over and over telling me to take down my bird feeders and stop feeding the squirrels i can do whatever i want in my own yard even if i stopped feeding them they come anyways they live in the field behind the church across the street she acts like its some big panic thing i now call her theenemy she tends to forget they werehere first and as we continue to develop all the fields what do es she think of course their going to come into peoples yards she was so nuts she started telling all the people in the neighborhood their feeding the animals she acts like like sky walker with her stupid flash light waving it all around and into my yard any animal is welcome to come into my yard and do what ever they want she forgets skunks, raccoons,and opossumsare noctornalshe has her whole yard lit up with spot lights 24 hours per day it looks light ohare airport so people should mind their own business and allow people to do what they please and as far as sopme of the people just wanting to vent maybe my neighbor and them can get a group rate on anger management counseling

richard in illinois richard in illinois
Aug '16

just thoughtv of one more thing shes nuts so i would think my neighbor wouldlove squirrels since they love nuts!!!!!!!!

richard in illinois richard in illinois
Aug '16

I have to same issue with my neighbor who thinks it's cute to throw bread out for the birds and squirrels for his cat to go crazy in the kitchen window or he puts the cat outside in a cage to drive it crazy. So when he is at work at night all the other critters come out like a huge rat, raccoons and a huge opossum that poops all over our backyard. Not just a few times but 7-8 times big large piles. My husband doesn't want to say anything to him so I am stuck. What should I do?

deedee deedee
Oct '16

I am more fearful of people than I am of animals!

Jacqui Jacqui
Oct '16

+1000000 jacqui!

positive positive
Oct '16

+10000000 Jacqui

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Oct '16

This post honestly makes me so mad. Thinking about how much my grandparents love feeding the squirrels and chipmunks.. And thinking that someone could come along and tell them they can't. Mind your own business and you must be pretty arrogant to get "annoyed" by the sound of the bread hitting their deck. I think it's safe to say that the majority of us believe you should just leave him alone, and let him enjoy his bit of happiness. I think you need to do some reevaluating. Good luck.

angry angry
Oct '16

however deedee's neighbor appears to be a sadist.....who should not have pets and perhaps should even be reported for being cruel

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '16

Yes, agree 4catmom...pretty sick if true.

positive positive
Oct '16

I know this is an old feed but I was researching.
We share this earth with the animals. Species are going extinct at 1,000 TIMES THE RATE they were in 1976 all due to....HUMANS. Don't believe it? Look it up I just learned this in a documentary in 2018, and there is much more disturbing news for humans I will not herein recount.

We need to stop saying "my property" when relating to animals. We THINK we OWN this planet. No, it is a GIFT and we are GUESTS here. Earth will eliminate us if we do not stop consuming the planet, believing we are superior to every species and the earth/oceans. Respect the animals....Live in harmony with them.

Finally, I will convey that I also read that feeding birds (and maybe other species) BREAD is killing them for reasons that are probably obvious. Heck, with all the GMOs it's even making humans sick, possibly slowly killing them as well.

Successmt Successmt
Jul '18

It’s important to be humane to all creatures, but white tailed deer are damaging the environment through overpopulation, over-browsing native vegetation and helping invasive species proliferate, and transmitting diseases as a by product of flourishing in suburban environs like NJ. Feeding them can be a nice feeling but helps nothing in the current state of our environment.
European settlers wiped out the native apex predators, and we shouldn’t do any more to foster an army of co-dependent deer.

kepa
Jul '18

The reason feeding bread to birds and especially ducks and geese is that it fills them without providing any of their nutritional needs.

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '18

kepa, People have the impression there is an over population of deer because they frequently appear in urban areas. The reason why is their natural habitat has been taken by humans who built housing developments, shopping malls and parking lots where deer and other animals such as bears used to live. We didn't see them as much years ago because they stayed primarily within there habitat where they had food and shelter. Now, there are fewer and fewer native places and food sources for animals so we see them more in urban areas. It's easy to blame the animals when in fact it's humans that are at fault. Feeding deer is a way of giving back some of what's been taken from them. We live on this planet together with other species. Appreciate it.

I’d prefer mountain lions, BC.

kepa
Jul '18

I like the big cats too kepa. However about all we have in the area now are a few bobcats. Humans hunted the large cats into extinction in our area years ago.

What urban area is around Hackettstown?

Bug3
Jul '18

Bug3, unfortunately Hackettstown has become urban over the years. Look at the strip malls and housing developments in the area now that weren't here 20 years ago. The increased traffic volume is also an indication. Sad but true.

Kepa,We are a much bigger threat to the environment than a bunch of deer. There are billions of us, we are by far the most destructive, invasive species on this planet. We have destroyed this environment with deforestation and pollution. We have wiped entire species off the planet. WE are the problem, not the other animals. The environment is in the state it's in because of our selfishness. So should we then not interfere and stop feeding the homeless? Should we not give the sick medical care?

thecatsmeow thecatsmeow
Jul '18

In reality the deer herd in NJ is 3 times larger than it was in the 1600s. This is due to natural woodlands being turned into farmlands, and now suburban neighborhoods. This is because cultivated farmland can support more deer per acre than natural woodlands can. There is more food for them them therefore there are more deer as a direct result.

Combine this with the loss of their natural predators, (wolves, big cats, Native Americans) and you have the gross over-population of deer that we now are now forced to deal with.

GreyHawk GreyHawk
Jul '18

How did you know that the skunk had rabies. I feed 3 outside cats, which i plan to trap neuter and release but the mother, who i thought was a boy had 4 kittens 5 months ago. No agency would help me so, it took forever to get the kittens to trust me. I had them spayed and neutered at a mobile clinic called TARA for $25 each with rabies shots, and more. I am 74, recovering from a serious illness, imcan barely walk and i am so happy i did this. My next challenge is getting the mom, then her older baby who clawed me in the ear when i tried to put him in a carrier to a vet until I knew about TARA. Then, i willl get the father. My feeding outside cats has led to raccoons who are mostly nursing moms. I get the occasional possum, shy, docile creatures and lThe rare skunk. They don't bother you if you do same. If any of these wild animals are there if my dog is out to pee i make him come inside ASAP. All these animals are starving because they have been displaced by man so your elderly neighbor is jus trying to help them. If your invisible fence is working you shouldn't be concerned. What is the problem? We have deer that come at odd times when food is scarce and other desperate creatures. If you don't want to be a part of that leave your elderly neighbor alone.
I don't know your age but as I got older and struggle to survive, the struggle of not only feral cats but outside creatures has become more sensitive to me, whether it is the almost totally blind raccoon who is desperately hungry for whatever the cats leave behind, the timid possum the cat who clawed me loves to torment, the birds, squirrels and more. Skunks do not bother you if you walk away and if they feel threatened they tap their feet first to give you a warning.

Irene stanton Irene stanton
Aug '19

My neighbor does not put his garbage for pickup? This is free? The animals are attracted to it, of course! Believe me if he lived next to you, you would be unhappy too. The smell of skunk is the worst. Our dog got sprayed! Rats, skunks, squirrels and mice! Called the by law office and getting no help! After the first complaint he began hiding it in his back yard. WHY!! He does not cut his grass; therefore eventually the garbage was hidden, but the skunks etc. Increased. Any suggestions???

Marie Marie
Sep '19

Put cameras outside, aimed at his place. Create a YouTube channel. Get rich on ad revenue. Retire to Florida.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Sep '19

Complain about not cutting grass

Bug3
Sep '19

Or...see if maybe it’s a person who could use a little help, until they can get someone to cut his grass. Neighbors should help neighbors...when they can.

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Sep '19

Yes I would offer to help them cut the grass.

Gosh I am happy my neighbors don’t do that. I don’t know how you put up with it.

Yolanda Castro Yolanda Castro
Sep '19

Irene, you are doing a good thing getting the cats fixed. Everybody likes to complain but not actually DO anything. YOU are doing something! If you need help, please contact me via the email link here.

worried worried
Sep '19

To feed the animals is better than Poisoning them!

Hackresident Hackresident
Sep '19

I know how he feels! I live in a duplex townhouse with about 4 ft of backyard and no front yard.I’ve lived here over a year, but my new neighbors throws food outside. A skunk recently sprayed my blind dog, along with other neighbor dogs. For all of the people who don’t think this is a big deal, it’s like tear gas to a human. I now look out before I let my dog out, but there’s not just one, but families of skunks. I now have to be dressed, and walk my dog down the street at all hours at night. I agree there’s nothing you can do if the person won’t stop, but I do feel your pain. I don’t understand people’s ugliness to this guy.... he just wants to vent!

Genita Gray Genita Gray
Sep '19

how about a little educating of the neighbors? http://www.wildlifelandtrust.org/wildlife/living-with-wildlife/four-reasons-not-to-feed.html

4catmom 4catmom
Sep '19

If the skunks are a nuisance perhaps ask the town animal control officer for some advice:

http://www.hackettstown.net/animal-control

justintime justintime
Sep '19

It's sad when you can't do what you .want on your own property. Maybe you should move to the city, where you will be surrounded by people. Instead of a few squirrels and other little critters.

Leslie Savercool Leslie Savercool
May '20

So you are fine with your neighbor opening massage parlor out of their garage, or parking 10-20 none working cars on the lawn. Or maybe you don't mind if they decide to feed the bears by putting out 5-6 50lb bags of dog food on their lawn, next to your kids swing set. Freedom to do as you please is always bound by laws, hopefully the laws are bound by common sense, because relying on other people to exhibit common sense is a sure fire way to be disappointed.

By the way this thread was already 7 years old when it last closed, but since you opening it up again we can relive the last 8 years now.

Agust Agust
May '20

Laws and rules don't matter anymore. Just do what you want, take them to court. Sounds like fun!

dodgebaal dodgebaal
May '20

I have read quite a few comments berating the OP and claiming that one can do what he wants on his property. That is incorrect. You all don't seem to realize that most states have laws about feeding wild life.

I am a long time back packer, and one thing that was drilled into the new backpackers was never leave food out or store it inside your tent. You were required to bag it up and hang it from a tree, or you would be having some unwelcome night time critters, often a bear or two.

You folks need to use some common sense and have some respect for your neighbors.

Bike Ike Bike Ike
Jan '21

I like Ike.

Consigliere
Jan '21

Ike, Most state laws against feeding wildlife pertain to certain animals such as bears. That’s why, as a backpacker or camper you should not leave food out. However, I doubt anyone is going to jail for feeding birds and squirrels. Get a grip.

Please explain exactly why the OP is wrong on this matter. Instead of the old - "mind your own business" "my grandparents do it" one-liners, write a clear, concise and supported factual paragraph explaining why wildlife feeding in a residential setting is beneficial.
You can't.
Wildlife don't need our food and the obvious problems associated with it far outweigh any enjoyment to the feeder. Food attracts all manner of undesirable critters and their feces, babies and various sprays. Why should one person's temporary enjoyment come at the expense of another? Give me some great reasons WHY this behavior should be tolerated. There's plenty of you that seem to support it, so what are your reasons? I genuinely want to understand you better.

wallies wallies
Mar '21

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.