Killer of Black Bear Arrested

I see the original topic is "locked" but I just wanted to pass along the link to this news item about the arrest.
Here is it.
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/10/hackettstown_man_charged_with_2.html

Good!

He was a convicted felon and they cant have weapons. His punishment seems extreme to me, but then again thats JMO!!!!

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Oct '12

Apparently you are not allowed to possess a weapon of any sort when you have been convicted of a felony. He does not seemed to be charged with anything else.

IFirefly IFirefly
Oct '12

Well at least we know the facts now. I see there was no garage mentioned, so I guess that was a fabricated story.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '12

"Denbleyker was charged by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection’s Division of Fish and Wildlife for killing a black bear during a closed season, killing a black bear in a manner other than presented by state game code, possession of a nocked arrow within 150 feet of an occupied dwelling, and killing a black bear without a permit, police said."

He was charged with several things, the police charged him with the weapon possession. The other entity brought him up on their own charges, it's on the HPD FB Page. I don't want to misquote the charges.

JessMphone JessMphone
Oct '12

The article says he was charged with a bunch of stuff by Fish and Wildlife.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Oct '12

That charge was from the town police. The State is charging him with killing the bear out of season, without the proper permit, using an arrow not allowed while hunting plus other charges.

John C John C
Oct '12

Total shame. Yahoos like this give law abiding hunters such a bad name.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '12

so I guess you people wont' give up will you? Nothing better to do with your lives? How did you gossip before there were forums???? Pathetic. Nobody really cares about your opinions except yourselves. Move on to another topic.

Isabella Isabella
Oct '12

I looked this guy up. Apparently his brother died in August. Even though he did something dumb, cut him some slack.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '12

Isabella,

As someone stated on the other thread, since this is so close to home (no pun intended) why don't you just ignore it? You really fueled the fire before by first referring to the shooter as 'them' etc, eventually admitting that it was your son. Then you played the "poor him" card because of the loss of your other son (which I'm very sorry about), but had absolutely nothing to do with the thread, other than that you were trying to sway peoples' opinions, and sadly for you it did not work. This is a forum, this is how things go. Call it gossip, pathetic, whatever...it's not going to change just because you don't like it. This thread will probably end up being locked as well, as you can't seem to keep yourself from opening up your own wounds. I hope you find the peace that you desperately need

Lori...Since '73 Lori...Since '73
Oct '12

On his MYSPACE page it says he is a bow hunter, okay fine....well then why didn't he abide by the hunting laws?

pampur pampur
Oct '12

Lori, I don't think Isabella would be on the attack if people didn't wish death upon her son. If someone were talking about my son like that, I'd be ready to crack some skulls.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '12

Who is wishing death? I just hope he has learned his lesson.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '12

Look at the other thread. At least half a dozen people wished the guy was dead.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '12

Calico.... many people in the other (closed) thread.

btownguy btownguy
Oct '12

Sorry, I stopped reading the other thread. The people wishing him dead are worse than him shooting the bear IMO. SMH.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '12

Metsman,

I'm sure your onto something. I was just saying that for her own sanity it's time to step away...

Oct '12

He is a convicted felon with a record. He did not learn his lesson. I see NO one here wishing him dead Isabella.

pampur pampur
Oct '12

"feel for you. this was wrong just plain wrong. i hope the men who did this drop dead and rot in hell. "- a good day wrote on the other thread... it was the 1st response to the thread so it was hard to miss it

darwin darwin
Oct '12

pampur,

If you want to contribute to this thread please read the previous thread. It's apparent you haven't even read this one, as it clearly states above that THOSE comments were on the previous thread, SIGH...

Oct '12

Excuse me Lori I read through all the lies they were perpetrating to protect the shooter on that previous page, and also Isabella's angry statements before we knew it was her family member that shot that bear. I am very sorry for her loss, but it has nothing to do with David shooting that bear and his criminal record.

pampur pampur
Oct '12

You like to quote other people Darwin, here are 3 of your keen observations. Still feel the same way??

"IF there was someone outside and in view of the hunter, what's to say the hunter wouldn't have taken that into consideration when he shot his bow. He is an experienced hunter and would know if he had a clear shot or not."

( convicted felon, should not be hunting )

"Get your facts straight, the guy was in his garage and shot the bear from there. No other human being was in the area, so no human was in danger of getting hit by his arrow."

( Apparently you didn't have your facts straight )

"seems like self defense to me."

( I have a fish hatchery I'd like to sell you. )

Denis Denis
Oct '12

Wishing someone dead is going to the extreme and not right but was done was done and they are only words and no one is going to get the death sentance so lets stop the drama. Let deal with the facts. Don't like em, dont read. The mother wants to somehow blame us for this mess that she is going through when in fact it is her son causing her this pain. He's been arrested a number of times in the past two years. Here is was someone wrote from the article above and on it lists his criminal history the past two years. This was not some innocent kid that we should feel sorry for or cut him some slack. His illegal activities were going on for awhile and if he stole your property and was caught trying to sell it would you STILL feel so bad? You can look up the arrest yourselves but heres what one person wrote.
I like how he's been arrested numerous times before...theft and trying to sell stolen property, possessing a controlled dangerous substance, driving around drunk with a broken tail light while having a no-bail warrant out for arrest, and so on. So...since he's not a thoughtless troublemaker, I totally believe his story about how a bear cornered his friend

villani villani
Oct '12

nice try Denis i was waiting for someone to jump in with a big told you so...

As for my first quote im not sure what your point is. My point was he is an experience hunter. Which he is. and he would be able to determine if he has a clear shot or not. The fact that he turns out to be a convicted felon doesn't make my statment wrong

As for my other 2, unless they produce a eye witness that says he was NOT in his garage or unless he changes his story, then i guess we need to wait until the trial before we convict him. I think its stupid for the guy int he article to say he's never heard of someone being scared by a bear.... please i almost pooped my pants when i saw one

And i still haven't heard or seen anything that says there was a HUMAN in the area that could have been in danger of his bow.

but nice try, oh yea and i never wished harm or death to anyone so i guess im a better person than some of you. And no i don't no this guy.

darwin darwin
Oct '12

"His illegal activities were going on for awhile"

you should look at Fallen Angel she has admitted to doing illegal activities for the past 20 years!!!

darwin darwin
Oct '12

Oh pampur....feel for you.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Oct '12

let's play devil's advocate... no eye witnesses. Authorities look into his record, see that it's not that clean... So what are the odds the authorities were going to "buy" his story?

Wonder if his record was clean would his story be more believable?

"We’ve had bears going through garbage – but not where people have been scared,” Tynan said."

especially a 29yr old who has a criminal record.

darwin darwin
Oct '12

OMG. i am so sorry the bear is dead. not sorry the killer is in jail

a good day
Oct '12

My understanding is that bow and arrow hunting on bears is illegal. And it's not bear hunting season. 2 counts of illegals behavior. The guy should have known better. Shame on you...

Lori,

You mentioned this was a forum and for gossip etc. However, youth sports cannot be mentioned at all. It seems only certain topics are meant to be continued.

Also, shame on you people for the bear topic and arrest of this guy. Once again, so what. It's a bear. Maybe illegal to hunt, but you people really played this one up.

neighborhood watcher
Oct '12

First Darwin, I was not one who wished this guy any harm, I even condemned it, so don't try and lump me in there. As you say nice try.

You are the one who told people to get there facts straight when you had none!

To your last point
"Wonder if his record was clean would his story be more believable?" NO, it was so ridiculous to start, and every time something else was added it just made it more ridiculous. I called BS right from the start, way before I knew about the criminal record.
You don't need an eye witness anymore to know he broke several laws, and they were caught lying about being the one's who reported it. Your grasping at straws.

Denis Denis
Oct '12

I dont know who did what, but I can say I do have a HUGE problem with a bow and arrow being used in the residential areas. Bear or no bear.

I dont care if no one was around.

What if it looked like no one was around but a kid got the arrow in his chest after running out from nowhere. Where would this forum be then? Youre lucky a kid wasnt hit, that may have led to a murder, and another one as an enraged father saw his kid die... Not probable but definitely possible.

Youre telling me there was nothing else that could have been done? No rocks thrown at it? No something else thrown a it or whatver? No car to get into? No house to get into? Nothing other than an arrow?

It was obviously an injure/kill shot, not a scare thing since there are a lot better things to scare a bear with than an arrow which if it doesnt hit will make a small sound or none at all.

Feel bad for the mother but if this were my kid, I would help as best possible but I would not lash out at people who are troubled that there are arrows flying in Hackettstown.

Arrows dont kill bears, people kill bears.

TM

Troublemaker Troublemaker
Oct '12

neigborhood watcher,

I still stick by my statement, but I know where you're coming from. There are just some topics that can no longer be discussed as they get ugly really quickly...

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Oct '12

Just read a few more posts in the last thread - wow. Some of us are really, really...scary. This is a mountain where a mole hill should be. Laws were followed and enforced - done.

Personally, I think that as a country we've long since gone off the deep end with our controlling ways.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-15/u-s-jails-more-people-than-any-other-country-chart-of-the-day.html

I guess we should add one to that number because, you know, people are never really rehabilitated and so shall forever lose their rights. Should we be proud, ashamed, or upset that the number is not bigger????

justintime justintime
Oct '12

Funny...I am his neighbor and not one cop came to me and asked me what happened.....I had a house full of kids outside scaring the bear away after it got into my garbage before going up to their house.

Lisab Lisab
Oct '12

have you seen this street? i assume most of you know the street. what is amazing is that more of you are not outraged that a nut/felon with a weapon decided to use it in a residential area. thank god a person was not killed or hurt. a bear is bad enough.

a good day
Oct '12

I don't think anyone should call for his death however he should face criminal charges. I feel terrible he lost his brother at a young age, its a pain that nobody should have to face.....however it does not excuse his illegal behavior.

Senseless killing of a female black bear IN Hackettstown. Violating all those laws which are based on common sense...
Protection, scared!?
protecting the garbage and scared they would have to pick the crap up again!!

Disappointed Disappointed
Oct '12

He has a MYSPACE page? lol i bet he has a VCR and a Land line telephone as well

Someone started a Facebook page asking for harsher penalties!

MikeL MikeL
Oct '12

Mike, what is the FB page called?

pampur pampur
Oct '12

That poor, defenseless, never aggressive giant black bear. He was just trudging along his native environment of...suburban neighborhood. Probably just looking for a bit of honey, and maybe some friendly petting from your small kids. Just hungry and foraging through your trash, that sweet bear would never see humans as food! Of course not!!

Then along came a big bad man, an evil man, who had seen jail time and was angry about it...probably. And he carried WMD's of mass suburban destruction. Guns? no...not evil enough. This man had a bow and arrow, and a hunger that only bear slaughter could satisfy. So the evil man tip-toed through the neighborhood, waiting for his chance...and when he found the bear sweetly saying hello to a couple people "trapped" in a "garage", he struck...

He thought he could escape his crime, by admitting his guilt to...the police. Ha! No justice for that poor sweet monster of a bear, and especially none for the once convicted Robin Hood of the night. As they say in baseball, "One strike and you're out!"

There will be a memorial on 10/31 for the bear...in the woods. The bear is survived by dozens, possibly hundreds, of family and friends. Also perished in the attack: your ever-dwindling rights.

Common Sense Maker Common Sense Maker
Oct '12

Am I the only one that realizes how good of a shot this guy was to drop a bear with a single arrow with minimal travel between strike and death?

btownguy btownguy
Oct '12

Here is the link to the facebook page:
It does not appear to have too much activity yet.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/David-Denbleyker-Hackettstown-Bear-Killer-Serious-Punishment-Is-Demanded/354190708004334?fref=ts

jennifer1 jennifer1
Oct '12

btownguy, that's because most of the people in here don't know anything about hunting. I view it as a good shot too if the animal only went a short distance and died. In no way did it suffer.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '12

Wow, whoever started that page has some serious anger issues. And it's got a whopping 3 'likes'...

Oct '12

Has anyone checked out this yahoo's facebook page? He posted the article & wrote underneath "hahaha i'm raising my kids to hunt and eat meat" ... Apparently he thinks its cute.

Disgusted Disgusted
Oct '12

wow that anti dave facebook page is really sad. Please tell me what the person was trying to accomplish?

darwin darwin
Oct '12

And we wonder why teenagers commit suicide... look at what the adults do... It's no wonder why kids are cruel...

Metsman Metsman
Oct '12

Metsman,

Sadly, these days, some don't even make it to the 'teen' years. I can't imagine :(

Oct '12

I agree with you Metsman!

We all make mistakes, some serious, some not.
None of us are perfect, so why continue with this nonsense.
It's over and done. It's being taken care of by those paid to do so.

Time for a bunch here to look in the mirror...

Spring Fever
Oct '12

Of course this grown man shouldn't get the death penalty here but he should be prosecuted.

I find it alarming that he's had multiple scrapes with the law and thinks it's all a big joke.
I feel sorry for his children.

LV Mom
Oct '12

I encourage everyone who stumbles upon this thread to view that facebook page and report it. I did.

btownguy btownguy
Oct '12

I just reported it too.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '12

i feel bad for his children, they had to have their dad go to jail because he killed a bear. He should not have been arrested. He should have been issue either a fine or a ticket and have had to either pay it or have a municpal court date scheduled to plead not guilty. There is not reason he needed to go to jail and post bail.

darwin darwin
Oct '12

darwin, he was a convicted felon unlawfully in possession of a deadly weapon. THAT is why he went to jail, not because he killed the bear.

As part of his probation terms for the previous felony conviction, he agreed not to possess weapons (per the Warren Reporter story, anyway). So, he could be found guilty of violating his probation and go to jail for whatever the original felony was as well.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '12

This is stupid.

Fixer
Oct '12

good point ianimal.

darwin darwin
Oct '12

Report it to who ? The Facebook Police ?

MikeL MikeL
Oct '12

Common Sense Maker Our ever dwindling rights? Does that include the right to go hunting in a residential neighborhood, and for convicted felons to possess weapons?

Denis Denis
Oct '12

You can click on the "gear" on the right side and report it. It's a page attacking an individual and thus reportable.

btownguy btownguy
Oct '12

Denis- The first one, yes, if you're speaking from the point of view of the bear. That bear does have the right to go hunting, foraging, and stealing valuable trash in a residential neighborhood.

As for the 2nd, probably not. However, anyone know what his felony charge was? The list of felony charges range from murder, arson, and burglary, to perjury, forgery and possession of weed. Pretty broad range of criminal behavior there.

Either way, he served his time, got out, and killed a bear. The big deal is what again?

Common Sense Maker Common Sense Maker
Oct '12

He didn't "serve his time"; he was on probation. So, in addition to possessing a deadly weapon, which I believe is an additional felony count for convicted felons, they could make him serve out jail time on the original felony as well. Again, the act of killing the bear isn't going to be a big deal for him legally... it'll be the weapons charge that gets him.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '12

Common Sense Maker, if you click on the link you will see the various crimes he has been convicted of, and then you can decide for your self. Maybe your trash is special, but I don't think most people consider their trash valuable. Sorry to tell you, but you don't have a right to endanger your neighbors because an animal is in your trash.

Denis Denis
Oct '12

He is a miscreant.

pampur pampur
Oct '12

btownguy,

Thanks, I never noticed that before.

MikeL MikeL
Oct '12

I wonder how they can charge him for having a weapon. You don't need a firearm ID card to buy a bow and arrow. They are not regulated. It would be like him throwing a steak knife at the bear and killing it.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '12

ian - His first felony conviction he got probation, the second he served 9 months. You would have thought they would have done something about the probation the second time.

He is dangerous. Should be locked up.

pampur pampur
Oct '12

I happen to know this person very well. And let me tell u he has a LONG History with the police. He will never learn his lesson. He has serious mental problems. This story doesn't surprise me at all!

Toto45 Toto45
Oct '12

His kids??? He doesn't have his kids!

Toto45
Oct '12

Toto45

Thank God he doesn't have his kids!! A career criminal! WOW and some on the previous thread were actually defending his actions. Hope they lock him up for a long time.

pampur pampur
Oct '12

So, how about those youth sports????

Leave it be already.

neighborhood watcher
Oct '12

Article from www.bearwithus.org
People & Bears Can Co-Exist

pampur pampur
Oct '12

Pampur, none of us were privvy to his criminal background. And we were waiting on the facts while witch hunters like you were getting the hangmen's noose ready before you knew the truth.

Neighborhood watcher, I dare you to start a new Youth Sports thread. Let's see how quickly it gets deleted. LOL... Apparently it's ok to name a person on this thread and call him all kinds of names, but not have conversations about our kids sports programs.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '12

metsman.....they can charge him with having a weapon because he is a convicted felon

Hastings Hastings
Oct '12

But it's not classified as a regulated firearm in the state of nj. That is why that charge doesn't sound right to me. Anyone can go to a sporting goods store and buy one. It doesn't matter what your record is.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '12

Metsman. I think the issue is that his probation was conditioned on certain terms. Apparently these included a prohibition on any weapons. That word could be defined in many ways and wouldn't necessarily be tied to the state law regarding the purchase of firearms. Btw, some local firearm ordinances also apply to bows.

Gadfly Gadfly
Oct '12

An eye for an eye. Capital punishment is warranted here.

Clark Clark
Oct '12

Clark- Is that a serious comment?

Wow (all around)

justintime justintime
Oct '12

Well, he is wrong.. death is nice

MikeL MikeL
Oct '12

How would killing bear could be death when selling drugs get few years? If bear killing should be death, traffic violence should be time in prison and so on because to be licensed, one did pass the test so one didn’t volunteer to get license..

doesnt anyone here feel that maybe we all should lighten up a bit. so what if someone says a eye for eye and so on, its the internet. People say crazy stuff all the time online. Its sorta like being shocked that the person who claimed to be a hot 20 somthing female in a chat room turns out to really be a 55yo man. online forms arent really a good place to set your moral compass at.

Metsman.....Not at all I have all the facts needed.

pampur pampur
Oct '12

Maybe being locked up will rehabilitate this young man. Thoughts and prayers go out to his Mother. Clearly she has been through a lot. Maybe we should rally together and help her through this tragic time in her life. A Mothers love is like no other! God will see that justice is served. Who are we to judge the life of a man who is clearly in need of mental health. I hope he gets the help he desperately needs. God bless his mother

Kind soul Kind soul
Oct '12

Pampur, maybe now we have the facts. We didn't have them all at one point.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '12

Metsman,
Facts are facts and we knew them right from day ONE.

Fact #1 - It is illegal to shoot a bow & arrow in a residential area..
Fact#2 - You can not use a bow & arrow on a bear.
Fact#3 - It is not bear hunting season.

Why did YOU try to defend this person. Is he your cousin? Did you get a vicarious cheap thrill out of what he did?
I think it's despicable to defend a criminal and anyone who does is base.

happy girl
Oct '12

Uh, we didn't know the setting or the circumstances until it was posted in an article. There was a rumor he was cornered in his garage when he did it. So I don't know what facts you think you knew prior to that. If you actually read my posts, I said lets wait till all the facts are out. Now they are and the conclusion is he was some yahoo redneck that got some thrill out of shooting a bear in his backyard. Whatever punishment he gets should be good enough for everyone. I think it's despicable for some to wish death on the guy. I'm not defending him at this point but some are treating him like a coldblooded murderer.

Reading comprehension is key happy girl.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '12

"some are treating him like a coldblooded murderer" .......Metsman

Well he is, Metsman.

"we didn't know the setting or the circumstance...." ....... Metsman

It was reported by police on the scene that a bear was killed on a residential street, West Baldwin, with a bow & arrow, which is illegal. The victim whose property the dead bear was on posted that the policeman indicated to her that the killer seemed to be fabricating a story, and that his story changed several times.

"reading comprehension is key" ......... Metsman

It was reported in The Express Times on Oct. 11, by Tommy Rowan. Yes, reading comprehension is key, Metsman.

"I said lets wait till all the facts are out" ...... Metsman

The facts were the facts from day one. The facts were three counts of illegal activity. Shooting a weapon on a residential street, killing a bear with a bow & arrow, killing a bear not during hunting season. You can't fight the facts, Metsman. No matter how many times you write, and how many times you try, the facts are the facts !!

happy girl
Oct '12

Your name really is "Happy Girl" ? Good stuff right there. You've got to love it.

Deviant Delusions Deviant Delusions
Oct '12

They were not happy girl. We got the final facts when he was arrested. Try again. It may be illegal to shoot a bear with what he did, but if he were in fact being attacked, it would not matter. What the neighbor says is hearsay. The police and Fish and Game did their investigation and came up with the conclusion that they did. Again, we didn't know their conclusion until he was arrested and it was posted in an article.

Killing an animal is not murder. The word applies to humans. I guess you are calling our forefathers murderers then, because they killed off mountain lions in the east, bears, wolves, etc. Only in the last 30 years have bears made a comeback. Wolves still haven't. Mountain lions, maybe in the coming decades.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '12

Read this miscreant's rap sheet BTW. He is a danger to society and animals both.

pampur pampur
Oct '12

I'm sure he will serve jail time if he is that much of a troublemaker.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '12

Are you saying all troublemakers end up in jail Metsman?

TM

Oct '12

No, just saying he probably will serve some time since he was on probation.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '12

looks like authorities killed a bear in Tewksbury because he cornered a sheep and was "aggressive"... hope there were no children present

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/hunterdon-county/express-times/index.ssf/2012/10/nj_black_bear_killed_tewksbury.html

darwin darwin
Oct '12

Darwin now your concerned children might be present, but you had no such concern when this guy was using his bow and arrow, the guy you feel just deserves a ticket.

Children have more to fear from the careless use of weapons, than they do from bears. Also from this weekend

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/authorities-investigate-shooting-girl-mistaken-skunk-article-1.1189488

Denis Denis
Oct '12

I heard this man was out of jail? Is this true? Anyone have any real updates on this case. And have the police searched his house and investigate his roommate as well?

Justifyjudy
Oct '12

Thank you for pointing that out Denis as Darwin likes to point the finger and "catch" people contradicting themselves.

Firefly Firefly
Oct '12

lol i was making a joke.... guess some can't comprehend sarcasim.

i was simply pointing out that a bear was shot (with a gun) in a residential area. Wondering why no one was crying about that bear? Shouldn't we start a new thread about this poor bear being murdered!!!

darwin darwin
Oct '12

darwin, is that a serious question? Big difference btwn the two stories. Seems the owners of the property called the police first and the police took matters into their own hands in a controlled setting. Not a convicted felon shooting off weapons in a residential neighborhood. I think people are were more concerned about this happening right in their backyards not so much for a fallen bear.

villani villani
Oct '12

Your comparison is ludicrous, the policeman was doing his job, and not hunting for kicks in a residential neighborhood. With all the dumb comments It would be impossible to tell when your being sarcastic.

Denis Denis
Oct '12

did you see the news story about the girl in a skunk costume shot by a relative? why do some people feel compelled to shoot or kill animals doing no harm to them? dont bother with crazy replies please.

a good day
Oct '12

A good day.... some people feel compelled to kill animals for food.

gadfly gadfly
Oct '12

Must of been a hugh skunk.

fitter
Oct '12

Really, skunk for dinner? I'm sure thats what that guy was thinking.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Oct '12

gadfly - clearly you did not read the article of the skunk. This was not a hunter, hunting for food.
a good day - that is a very good question. Why on earth this guy felt the need to shoot a gun at a party with children around is beyond me. Perhaps it was an aggressive skunk and was going to eat them..lol There are just too many ppl out there that just likes to shoot anything that moves. for no good reason other than the cheap thrill

villani villani
Oct '12

When is skunk season?

MikeL MikeL
Oct '12

Is this thug out of jail? He is dangerous.

pampur pampur
Oct '12

Hugh? Is that the name of the skunk?

But seriously, that poor little kid...

Oct '12

Clearly they grow some pretty large skunks in PA!

Sorry, I thought that was a general question. I can think of no good reason to shoot a skunk unless perhaps it was rabid. Skunks are harmless, and can be quite amusing when they are trying to woo black cats that accidentally have a white stripe painted down their back.

gadfly gadfly
Oct '12

"We got the 'final facts' when he was arrested." ..............Metsman

--- As opposed to the original facts?

"It may be illegal to shoot a bear with what he did, but if he were in fact being attacked, it would not matter." .....................Metsman

--- Well in fact he was NOT being attacked. He never said he was.

"What the neighbor says is hearsay." .............Metsman

--- If what a witness says is 'hearsay' --- then what the killer says is hearsay too.!!

"Killing an animal is not murder. The word applies to humans. I guess you are calling our forefathers murderers then because they killed off (animals) .... Metsman

--- Metsman, if your forefathers killed off animals, that's unfortunate and you have my sympathy. My forefathers were scholars and educators, and were not violent people.

One of the definitions of murder is: to kill or slaughter inhumanly or barbarously.
One of the convenient defenses of killing animals is that the killing of a human being is the only type of death infliction that can be legitimately classified as murder.
This comes down to just what is a definition of a human being? Not so long ago, non-whites were not considered human beings under law. American law stated over a century ago that Native Americans were in fact not entitled to rights under the law because the law applied only to human beings. In Nazi Germany, the killing of a Jew by a German was not murder according to German law.
In ancient Greece and Rome, slaves were not considered to be human beings. Today except in a few rare cases all homo sapiens are considered to be human beings and murder is condemned except when given legitimacy by government when it is convenient to kill other human beings for national or economic reasons.
Thus, the definition of murder seems to be a fluid thing depending upon the particular human political, spiritual, or cultural bias in dominance at the time.
A difference that has been used to differentiate humans from all other animals is the ability to feel emotions, ie love, grief, as well as social organization, empathy, speech and intuition.
These capabilities are a result of spindle neurons in the brain, previously thought to only be present in the human brain. Scientific research has discovered that these spindle cells are present and reside in the same area of the brain in many animals studied so far. What these studies call into question is the ethics of killing animals. What scientific research is revealing is that this killing is becoming more in line with what the generally held legal and moral definition of murder is.
When humans kill animals that share similar brain processes including proven self-awareness, suffering and emotions, the definition of murder becomes more than appropriate.

happy girl
Oct '12

Happy Girl,

So I gather you follow the Commentaries of Paul Watson, Founder and President of Sea Shepherd Conservation Society who wrote " Why Killing Whales is Murder",
Published on December 15, 2006. You just quoted much of this work word for word above without giving him the credit for his work.

I guess your learned, educated, and scholarly forefathers forgot to teach you about
Plagerism and it's consequences, often defined as, "the act of appropriating the literary composition of another author, or excerpts, ideas, or passages therefrom,and passing the material off as one's own creation. It is often used in lawsuits and is a violation of copyright laws." www.freedictionary.com

Many have been booted out of college for Plagerism, some sued, and others lost all credibility among their peers. Which shoe is your choice?

Spring Fever
Oct '12

"What the neighbor says is hearsay." .............Metsman

--- If what a witness says is 'hearsay' --- then what the killer says is hearsay too.!!

Just to clarify for you, happy girl, the neighbor was not a witness. She arrived after the fact and was not present when the animal was shot. She instead posted information she has since changed based on "misunderstanding" a police officer on the scene.

This topic jumped the shark a long time ago.

gadfly gadfly
Oct '12

Spring Fever,

My shoes are vegetarian, non-leather shoes. You're choice of shoe seems to be Metsman's.

Snow,
His reference to a neighbor is non-specific, and I was addressing that. Several neighbors spoke about the incident.

happy girl
Oct '12

Happy girl,

You in no way addressed the fact that ALL of our forefathers killed off the Eastern Cougar, the black bear, wolves, etc. They all flourished here at one point. The black bear has only made a comeback in the last 30 years. Your definition of murder is comical.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '12

Happy Girl,

You are missing the point.

We are all human.

Human beings can make serious mistakes, or poor choices.
We all have the potential to break laws that we didn't plan to.
We all will at some time break a law, even the well educated of us.
We all must live with the consequences of our poor choices.
Even those of us who wear vegetarian, non leather shoes.
Now please go and look in a mirror....

Spring Fever
Oct '12

i think some need to go back and read the original thread.

There was no witnesses that posted on here. There was 1 neighbor that showed up after it happened and started the thread with such mis information no one was able to get a clear understanding of how it happened. (she even admitted she got the info wrong)

The someone who claims to be a friend to a story of what he said happened

No other eye witnesses or neighbors came on to collaberate either story.

So we got a 2nd hand story of what happened thru the shooter's friend. And we got an a story from a neighbor who admitted she heard certain info wrong.

Before any charges were made or his past convictions were known some ppl were ready to lock him up for life.

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/462032

darwin darwin
Oct '12

Spring Fever ,

HUH ??????

"We all will at some time break a law" ...............Spring Fever

REALLY????

So why did you break the law, Spring Fever?
Why did you do it? Did you break the law more than once?

Judging from my own family, my in-laws, and my friends,
I would say that most people are law-abiding citizens who
do not break the law, including myself.

I would also speculate that people who are law abiding citizens
would take offense at your statement.

"We all will at some time break a law" ................. Spring Fever

So the question to you, Spring Fever, is: why are you continuing to defend this criminal?
Is he related to you? Is he your nephew? Your cousin? Your in-law?

happy girl
Oct '12

happy girl - Have you or a family member ever driven above the speed limit? If so, you or they have broken the law.

I don't know too many people that haven't driven over the speed limit at one point. See how easy it is to break a law?

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '12

Happy Girl, you've never gone over the speed limit? That's breaking a law and one everyone has committed. No one is defending the guy. You seem to be a know-it-all and think hearsay is evidence. The original poster from the last thread who you seem to label as a witness, didn't know jack. All she knew was that a bear died on her front lawn and had an arrow sticking out of it. I'm sure the police and Fish and Game gathered physical evidence, not going by the word of people who didn't see what happened.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '12

Actually Calico the answer is no. I don't drive above the speed limit, and have had a$$ holes on my tail because of it.
I have never gotten a ticket of any kind.
I have a clean record, and believe it or not, alot of people do.

happy girl
Oct '12

Yeah ok... like people really believe you have never gone at least 1mph over the speed limit... LOL...

Metsman Metsman
Oct '12

Never gone above the speed limit = never having been caught doing so, that's all. I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't stare at the spedometer while driving, and sometimes we either speed up or slow down unintentionally. We drive above the speed limit without even realizing it at times...

Oct '12

Hard to believe that anybody has never sped once. Never even went 26 in a 25? Not even when you were 17?

I've never gotten a ticket either, but I certainly have sped.

Maybe you should change your name from happy girl to Mother Teresa. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '12

Ha ha, cute, Calico. I can guarantee you, Mother Teresa
I am not!
;-)

Actually Calico, I didn't drive until I was 32.

happy girl
Oct '12

I break the law every single day. Oops, my bad!

MikeL MikeL
Oct '12

Happy Girl,

You still don't get it...I will try one more time...

I have never met the man who shot the bear.
He is not related to me or anyone I know.
He is a complete stranger. I wouldn't know him if I tripped over him.
If someone offered me a million dollars, I could not identify him.
Is that clear now?

I am not defending him.
He broke a law. He deserves whatever the judicial system deems appropriate.
I let it go at that, unlike you.

In my youth, I received several speeding tickets.
I knew it was against the law to speed.
I didn't set out to speed at the time.
I was in a hurry, I guess. It just happened.
I paid the fines and got on with life.
But I I didn't have someone like you hounding me that I broke a law.
Does that satisfy your enlightened curiosity?

Now if you would step out of the fog for a moment, it may surprise you to know that you broke a law about 20 hours ago. You plagerized! You did it on a public forum, right out there for everyone to see and read, and you apparently didn't give a hoot that you were doing something illegal. Or if such a thing is possible, in your ignorance, you broke a law! Shocking I know....What would your ancestors think!

So don't go spouting a holier than thou attitude.
No one, except your family believes you that you have never broken a law.
I sincerely hope my post does not get deleted.
But not to worry, it's my last post on this sad thread...

Spring Fever
Oct '12

Spring Fever,

"No one, except your family believes you "......(etc) ........Spring Fever
Really? Can you prove that? I guess you know everyone that knows me,
and have questioned them.

I do not have a "holier than thou" attitude, and I really don't care what you want
to believe.

Just to dissipate your fog, my ancestors can't think about anything because they are dead. There is also something called Fair Use which applies to my post.

Peace, and have a nice day.

happy girl
Oct '12

MikeL,
You bad boy. I'm coming right over to give you a good spanking!
..........right after I address the bears coming down my chimney.

happy girl
Oct '12

happy girl,

Now that will make me a happy boy......

MikeL MikeL
Oct '12

Happy girl,

Once again, you like tooting your own horn. Ugh.

A drip!!!

neighborhood watcher
Oct '12

Metsman,

You wrote:
"Happy Girl, you in no way addressed the fact that ALL of our forefathers killed (animals) ....

There is nothing to say because your statement is an absurd fallacy.

happy girl
Oct '12

happy girl, if we were going to avoid addressing every "absurd fallacy" in this thread, we would just ignore you.

btownguy btownguy
Oct '12

you might want to look up the difference of Fair use and Plagiarism.

Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders.

yes you don't have to gain permission to use it but you still need to give credit. You can't pass it off as your own... which you did. Thus you plagiarized!!! Breaking the law! Breaking the law!

darwin darwin
Oct '12

Happy Girl, how is what I stated a fallacy? Our ancestors wiped out predators in the east. There used to be mountain lions and wolves around here. So if you are calling this guy who shot the bear a murderer, then I guess some of your ancestors are as well. People in the old days shot whatever moved. They didn't have hunting laws and regulations.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '12

LOL Darwin

LV Mom
Oct '12

Happy girl,

Just curious, have you never jaywalked? Never littered even unintentionally? Never didn't recycle something?

If you never did any of those things I would say you are mother Teresa. But I am pretty sure that she did some of these things!

TM

Oct '12

Metsman,
It is a fallacy because it is not a 'fact' that 'ALL' our forefathers killed off animals.

happy girl
Oct '12

Darwin,
I did not pass off anything "as my own". I supplied educational information and facts under Fair Use.
If you bothered to continue copying off Wikipedia what YOU did, you would have continued you post with:
Examples of fair use include commentary, search engines, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.

happy girl
Oct '12

btownguy,
Back up your statement with facts.

happy girl
Oct '12

Really Happy Girl? I think you need some history lessons. Or did the animals just all decide to move? You are hilarious...

Metsman Metsman
Oct '12

"It is a fallacy because it is not a 'fact' that 'ALL' our forefathers killed off animals."

Since you're in touch with your ancestors, how did they feed themselves? If they did not kill an`animal, then you are not part of the all. Please cite your source.

btownguy btownguy
Oct '12

man just when you thought this thread was finally over...

"I did not pass off anything "as my own". I supplied educational information and facts under Fair Use."

wrong you did not provide any information or facts, you provided 1 man's opinions. You took someone's words and since you did not cite them, you basically passed them off as you own.

again you need to know the difference from fair use and Plagiarism.

Plagiarism—using someone's words, ideas, images, etc. without acknowledgment—is a matter of professional ethics. Copyright is a matter of law, and protects exact expression, not ideas. One can plagiarize even a work that is not protected by copyright, such as trying to pass off a line from Shakespeare as one's own

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use#Fair_use_and_professional_communities

unless you are denying that the post you wrote was copied from Paul Watson's work, which i haven't seen you do.

darwin darwin
Oct '12

Metsman & btownguy -
The problem is you both don't know the definition of the following words:

all
ancestor
forefather

happy girl
Oct '12

I missed the word 'all'. NJ used to be all farmland for the most part. So that means whoever owned a farm, which was a lot of people, probably killed off predators that were on their land.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '12

I do!

all   [awl] Show IPA
adjective
1. the whole of (used in referring to quantity, extent, or duration): all the cake; all the way; all year.
2. the whole number of (used in referring to individuals or particulars, taken collectively): all students.
3. the greatest possible (used in referring to quality or degree): with all due respect; with all speed.
4. every: all kinds; all sorts.
5. any; any whatever: beyond all doubt.

an·ces·tor   [an-ses-ter or, especially Brit., -suh-ster] Show IPA
noun
1. a person from whom one is descended; forebear; progenitor.
2. Biology . the actual or hypothetical form or stock from which an organism has developed or descended.
3. an object, idea, style, or occurrence serving as a prototype, forerunner, or inspiration to a later one: The balloon is an ancestor of the modern dirigible.
4. a person who serves as an influence or model for another; one from whom mental, artistic, spiritual, etc., descent is claimed: a philosophical ancestor.
5. Law . a person from whom an heir derives an inheritance.

fore·fa·ther   [fawr-fah-ther, fohr-] Show IPA
noun
an ancestor.

Copied and pasted from Dictionary.com

See! I do know!

btownguy btownguy
Oct '12

here happy girl i will help you out. Here is what Paul Watson wrote which you basically cut and pasted onto this thread. again you posted one man's words withour giving credit.... it's ok, no one is perfect and that is what we all were trying to say. Everyone breaks a law at one point in their life, most just break a minor one, others break the big laws.

http://www.seashepherd.org/commentary-and-editorials/2006/12/15/why-killing-whales-is-murder-359

darwin darwin
Oct '12

Why'd you keep this one alive, happy girl?

neighborhood watcher
Oct '12

Darwin,
1) Yes, the article contained facts.
2) My ancestors did not kill off animals, and saying that everyone's ancestors -- "ALL" of them --- killed off animals is nonsense. (.....and, aside from the men who did not kill, perhaps you do not include women as part of our ancestry????? )
3) I am done with the ridiculous comments posted on this thread.

The End.

happy girl
Oct '12

You don't know all of your ancestors Happy Girl... LOL... How do you know someone you were related to that was alive in colonial times, didn't shoot nuisance animals off his land?

Metsman Metsman
Oct '12

Any updates on this case?

Hackettwonder
Feb '13

This is the latest thing I read about it. It just states he was indicted on a weapons offense and killing a bear during a closed season.
http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/express-times/index.ssf/2013/01/hackettstown_man_indicted_on_c.html

jrsemom jrsemom
Feb '13

What's that tell us? Is he in jail or not?

AshleyArthur AshleyArthur
Feb '13

It tells us that he's been indicted, as of January of this year, which is the date of the article jrsemom posted. That means he's now awaiting trial for his offenses.

Tracy Tracy
Feb '13

Hey, just curious...what ever came of this guy? I'm assuming he went to trial. Did you go to jail? get a fine or just a slap on the wrist?

villani villani
Oct '13

Yes I would like to know. Do you think nj fish and game can tell us?

A good day
Oct '13

So, I see our local, outstanding Hackettstown resident has been arrest yet again.
I asked this question a year ago but don't know what ever happened...Did he ever go to jail for killing that cub? Remember the story..he shot a cub with an arrow, to which the cub ran across several properties before it died leaving a bloody trail on people's properties. Oh, and this was around 7:30 at night and he was trying to remove the dead bear from someone's property before the police caught up to him. Lucky, no one was hurt. Well, hopefully he will go to jail and stay there. What a nuisance this guy is....

"On 9/18/14 The Hackettstown Detective Bureau was informed of by The Roxbury Twp Detective Bureau that they were investigating a burglary that occurred in their jurisdiction. Through the course of their investigation it was determined that the individual that did the burglary gave the stolen items to 31yro David Denbleyker of Hackettstown, NJ. Then on 5/6/14 David sold the stolen jewelry and coins to The Gold Mine (174A Main St Hackettstown). The value of the property stolen was $500.00. On 9/25/14 David was charged with receiving stolen property (4th degree crime) and he was served with the paperwork while being lodged in the Essex County Jail on unrelated charges. David has a pending court appearance on the Hackettstown charge."

villani villani
Sep '14

Unbelievable. There was a FB page set up and alot of outrage about the bear he killed last year. I don't know if the page is still there..

pampurr pampurr
Sep '14

the dear bear had a facebook page? :0

darwin darwin
Sep '14

I read through the article too fast. If I understand correctly he is already in jail. This incident happened in May. Good...he can stay there.

villani villani
Sep '14

NO Darwin the animal advocates had one and this Hackettstown bear incident was the topic of discussion..

pampurr pampurr
Sep '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.