Turkey vultures

any suggestions on how to get them to go away?

help with wild life help with wild life
Oct '12

Shoot them with a bow and arrow. LOL

Metsman Metsman
Oct '12

Hope you don't live on W. Baldwin.

happy girl
Oct '12

They are UGLY creatures.

just curious just curious
Oct '12

BB or paint ball gun

tfulp tfulp
Oct '12

I always think they look like they have pants on:)

blackcat blackcat
Oct '12

Thanksgiving is coming up!

Why do you want to get rid of them?

hector
Oct '12

OP: remove what they are eating.

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '12

Except for their appearance (ugly is in the eye of the beholder?), they are very nice birds. Besides doing a complete and efficient job on carrion, they soar about majestically, and are quite social.

You should not shoot or harass the turkey vultures. The turkey vulture is protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918, and it is illegal to kill this species in the United States. If they are landing in places you don't want them because of the damage they can cause you could use electrified wires or bird wire.

There are 150 roosting on the high tension pole along Route 57 in the fish hatchery in Hackettstown. A large percent of those are Black Vultures. Maybe a few of them will migrate with this cold. Do you live near the hatchery? Thousands of birds are migrating right now. We have been seeing eagles, ospreys and all sorts of hawks around the past couple of weeks.

fishmaker1 fishmaker1
Oct '12

Try using a laser pointer if they are roosting at night. The really bright ones tend to scare them off. They do make a mess with their droppings, so hope this helps.

@fishmaker1: No, I'm not near the hatchery. I'm right on the edge of the ridge by Russling Road looking down onto Johnson road and in the spring they roost in the trees in my backyard. Actually I suspect that they are laying their eggs back there in the spring because for a certain period of time they frequently land down the side of the steep hill in my back yard. I've read that they lay eggs on the ground or in caves and the rocky hillside probably works well for them.

I have just a minor problem with them landing on the chimney cap, but I hear them and just go outside and shout at them until they fly off.

I think they are pretty cool

Cowgirl1 Cowgirl1
Oct '12

this is one of the advantages of living here. being able to observe /be close to nature . including the fabulous birds.why complain- observe and appreciate.

a good day
Oct '12

Re: Turkey vultures

Here is one of mine - backyard by the pool. They are interesting and fun to watch the way they soar. But, it's still eerie when the shadows pass by on the ground.

Actually, the best way to get rid of the turkey vultures is to move to some place that doesn't have them. They are part of nature, and they were probably there first. You are the intruder, not them. If you can't grow to appreciate their beauty and the important role they play in the natural order of things, then you should probably move to a very populated city where you won't have to deal with them. You can deal with pigeons and humans and dog doo on your shoe instead. And car horns.

The vultures have invaded Bridgewater - http://www.nj.com/somerset/index.ssf/2013/03/vultures_invade_bridgewater_ne.html#incart_m-rpt-2

Vultures are a protected species in the US (all of them) They keep the land clean of decaying bodies and animals.
In India there are many religions. The Parsi who practice the religion of Zoroastrianism leave the bodies of their dead high on the hills and let the vultures pick them clean.It has to do with not wanting to pollute the ground, or the air with burning the body.
It's actually a good idea. Why waste money on funerals and burials when grandpappy dies. Just have a location where the body can be left and forget about it.
Burning bodies is an Indo European Aryan custom which is why there are no graves of Julius Caesar or Achilles etc.

NatureBoy NatureBoy
Mar '13

6 or 7 Black Vultures on 4th Street today around 6 pm.

suggestion:

hang a dead vulture from a tree in your yard every year

get a permit first

http://www.nj.com/somerset/index.ssf/2013/03/a_dead_vulture_hangs_in_a_mart.html

Erik B. Anderson Erik B. Anderson
Mar '13

This years chicks are out and about.

RAD, wish I could say cute pic...NOT! Okay, maybe this chick has a cute face only a mother could love. Thanks for posting.

Chickadee Chickadee
Apr '13

That chick wouldn't even be cute at 2am (-;

ianimal ianimal
Apr '13

Just went out onto my back deck and there must be 1/2 dozen of these things roosted in the trees behind the house or flying around out there.

joyful joyful
May '13

There must be at least 50+ of these damn things flying around my house. I've grown to get used to them. I also don't mind when someone hits a deer by my house and they pick it apart. Without them the deer would just rot and stink up the place. I do find it funny when I got out with my 2yo son and the start circiling my house like he is a snack. He just points and laughs at them.

englishe30 englishe30
May '13

englishe20: I have seen a few in the past but this morning there was at least 7 and maybe more in the woods behind my house...in the trees and circling the area. I live near the Hills of Independence in Hackettstown.. I have seen a few stray cats back there too. Does anyone know if they only eat dead things and leave live small animals alone?

joyful joyful
May '13

They are probably the same one's i posted a pic of on 3/15 on 4th Street. Someone told me they hangout along 5th, 6th, 7th Street and Prospect which is the backside of the Hills of Independence.

Joyful: Vultures only eat dead things; that's why they are so helpful in cleaning up the roadkill, etc.

contact USDA wildlife services.
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife_damage/state_office/newjersey_info.shtml

just me2
May '13

I live in Independence as well. On quiet nights you can hear them rustling around in the pine trees behind house. So creepy!

Englishe30 Englishe30
May '13

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.