seriously what quenches your thirst

My husband is in chemo and cannot seem to quench his thirst we have tried , water, gator aid, tea , soda ,any ideas anyone ,

Cowgirl1 Cowgirl1
Oct '12

I really like Sobe Lifewater...you can get it at Sam's Club. I get the o calorie, no artificial sweetener kind. It's great!

Lady Jayne Lady Jayne
Oct '12

Water with fresh lemon sqirted in it. The lemon activates the salivary glands. The water keeps him hydrated.

Christine Christine
Oct '12

Cowgirl1: My hubby is doing chemo too and just by accident I picked up Lemon Lime flavored Seltzer put out by Adirondack (can get it in Weis or Shop-Rite) and that did the trick for him.

joyful joyful
Oct '12

Try coconut water. Vitacoco is good & has different flavors (pineapple, mango, mixed fruit) it is said to help quench thirst and hydrate you. My thoughts are with you & your husband.

cdeb
Oct '12

Did you get mouth care instructions from the doctor? I will be bringing my father for chemo starting this month and the doctor gave me mouth care instructions. Here is what it it says do if your mouth is dry:
Drink sips of water often throughout the day.
A spray bottle to squirt water into your mouth.
Commercial mouth moisterizes, e.q., Biotene tm, Oral Balance, Salivart, Mouth Kote
Artifical Saliva
Biotene Gum
A humidifier
It is three pages long of instructions. Also tells you what not to eat and drink during treatment. Hope this helps. Best wishes to you and your family.

I found flavored seltzer the best. I personally liked lemon and orange flavor. Ice pops also helped - sugar free if necessary. Also, as a hint if nausea is a problem while getting the chemo (it was for me) I always carried saltine crackers and would snack while being treated. The hospital had ice pops available for us also. I wish him the best. I am an 11 year survivor and dealt with chemo/radiation and there are better days ahead.

Mec...We have the same instructions for mouth care...in fact, my husband had to arrange a complete dental check up and flouride treatment before they would even start the chemo. He found while taking the chemo that hot and cold things really bothered him a lot so all liquids and food had to be served at room temperature.

joyful joyful
Oct '12

Good to know thanks. My father goes for his dental appointment tomorrow for a cleaning. Flouride treatment was not mentioned. Is that required also?

I have heard that buttermilk is the best thirst quencher. Sounds really gross but worth a try. My husband also uses the Biotene for dry mouth caused by meds. Good luck :)

Mec.... I don't know if it is a requirement to have a flouride treatment done as well. The script from the Oncologist just asked to have a cleaning and xrays done and complete checkup but my husband went to Dr. Abrahams in Budd Lake and he felt the flouride treatment as well would be beneficial.

joyful joyful
Oct '12

Tonic water. I find it so refreshing. I only add the gin if its after 9pm. but ask your doc first, if he trys it. Becouse it contains quinine, which I like cause it helps alot if your legs are sore. But it is used as a medication. {I think for molaria?} tho not much anymore. so may not be ok with chemo. IDK?

thank you all , all very good recommendations , I will try all of them till he is satisfied

Cowgirl1 Cowgirl1
Oct '12

Good luck, Cowgirl1. I know from personal experience how difficult this for you and my heart goes out to you and your husband.

Cybel thank you , I can not even begin to say how difficult this is , but you unfortunately know , there are no words for this kind of pain

Cowgirl1 Cowgirl1
Oct '12

JD and coke on ice and in a frosted glass. Ahhhhhh.......my special little treat before bedtime when I'm winding down..

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.