Bea McNally's Pub & Eatery

Saw 'hiring' sign on the old Clarendon today. I really look forward to this!

Boy, me too!! Being very Irish and loving anything Irish...I cannot wait for it to open. Probably will be their best patron..

joyful joyful
Oct '12

high hopes, high hopes.....

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Oct '12

I'm looking forward to an HL luncheon soon!

I know it was mentioned on another thread, but I don't feel like searching. When's the projected open date?

Where is this place? Hackettstown? I would love to see some new places open up. So tired of going to the very limited bars that are here in town.

villani villani
Oct '12

It's where Charlie Browns used to be. Across from the post office on Grand Ave.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '12

cbel, they were shooting for november but I believe its been pushed farther away now.

Christine Christine
Oct '12

Can't wait! Hopefully they will have live music so I can book my hubby's band in town!

Thanks, Christine. I guess we'll have to wail till the new year.

What is the point to hire people now if they don't plan to open for two or three months?

John C John C
Oct '12

as long as its up and running by March 17! =)~

darlughh darlughh
Oct '12

opening restaurants usually hire early to start training and staff gets paid to help set up dining room, bar, etc.

former waitress former waitress
Oct '12

If they are smart they will hire friendly staff with good people skills. That is lacking in most bars/restaurants in town.

jerseycash5
Oct '12

I will ditto the March 17th date too, darlughh....that is not only St. Patrick's Day but will be our 23rd wedding anniversary.

joyful joyful
Oct '12

Re: Bea McNally's Pub & Eatery

They'll want to open a week earlier to take advantage of the St Patricks Day Parade crowd.

John C John C
Oct '12

John, what a nice cake..did the Mrs make it?

Bessie Bessie
Oct '12

Was in there to drop off a resume.. will be suprised if they open by Christmas. Place is bare bones with soooo much work to do both cosmetic and structurally before they open. No floors cracking walls and ceilings no bar.. was suprised they were looking to hire. I would think sometime after the new year if all goes well..

:-(

exuberant! exuberant!
Oct '12

Wow they must be dumping a ton of money into it! I wish them much luck!

Cake was actually from the Pumphouse after the 2012 parade

John C John C
Oct '12

how do i apply?

DeadHead DeadHead
Oct '12

They're accepting applications 10:00 am - 3:00 pm - Mon. - Fri. at the restaurant!

trekster3 trekster3
Oct '12

where is it located and when are they expected to be opening...i have a temp job now which will be ending in January don't know if it will be too late by then to start with them or not.

wondering122
Oct '12

It's located at 109 Grand Avenue in Hackettstown - between Main and Washington.

Wendy @ HKT BID Wendy @ HKT BID
Oct '12

The former Clarendon Inn located on Grand Avenue across from the post office is the location. As to when it is slated to open, that could be anyone's guess.

I'm just looking forward to being able to walk over to get a pint of Guinness and an order of fish and chips. Hopefully they will have a decent pool table and/or dartboard.

Agust Agust
Oct '12

Here's a nice article by Todd Petty in the Warren Reporter!

http://www.nj.com/warrenreporter/index.ssf/2012/10/irish_pub_bea_mcnallys_expecte.html

Oct '12

Cool, can't wait to try the place out.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '12

High end beer and food, 17 tvs and a bar that seats up to 30 people. Yipppeeee! Sounds great to me. It's about time.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '12

BTW - Of course, with it saying "high end", it will be just a matter of time before people start complaining about the prices. Most people would rather pay $3.99 for a pile of crap than $19.99 for something that is prepared correctly.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '12

So... I guess no Keystone Light pints for a buck ?

PREDATOR PREDATOR
Oct '12

Probably not Predator.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '12

No Keystone Light? Keith Stone says that's a real kick in the CAN-HOLE...

ianimal ianimal
Oct '12

Calico... I've paid 19.99 for really bad fish and chips and paid 7.99 for really great fish and chips. Price has little to do with quality. Price point is often more a by-product of overhead costs than food quality costs.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '12

ianimal - I am aware of that. My point was more to some people would rather eat a burger off the dollar menu at McDonald's, not pay $8.99 for one at a sit-down restaurant. Then say it's just as good.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '12

The $1 hamburger at McD's is certainly better than the dried out (obviously frozen) "medium rare" $10+ burger I had at Redwoods...and I find McD's nasty so that should give you some idea of how bad the Redwoods burger was.

Moral of the story is that you have to judge each place on its own merits.

emaxxman emaxxman
Oct '12

Hey John C
take a look at one of the photo's posted on NJ.com

http://photos.nj.com/warren-photos/2012/10/irish_pub_bea_mcnallys_coming_9.html

What do you think??

emaxxman: I'm sorry you got a bad burger at Redwoods. I took my daughter there for lunch on Saturday (hadn't been there for about 10 years). My shrimp bisque and bratwurst w/roasted potatoes, spinach and some kind of sauce were superb.

An aside to Calico: I had to get out my dictionary to check this out.

One potato -- two potatoes.

I think it all comes down to the quality received for the price. I'll reserve judgement till after dining at Bea's. However, I've had $28 entrees that were good but not worth the price. If I pay $1 for a burger, I'm not expecting a lot. I am expecting a lot for $28. That is why Mattars, for the $11 they charge for their burger, is a phenomenal value. Top quality meat and execution that they could easily charge $15-$18 for.

This is also why I almost never buy a steak at even the finest restaurants. Unless the place is a high end steakhouse (like Peter Lugers), it's almost never worth the price.

emaxxman emaxxman
Oct '12

I like Mattars burger but wouldnt pay 15-18 for it. The fries are terrible.

jerseycash5
Oct '12

Will be interesting to see what affect all the renovations will have.

John C John C
Oct '12

should be a good place especially since i know that they are going to start off woth a decent craft beer selection

BeerLover
Oct '12

And with renovations to such an old place... They will likely wake up some spirits!! (Not the drinking kind) John c, get ready for a taps event :)

Hi Guys.
This is Mark & John from Bea McNallys. Thanks for the great replies, its really helping to get the word out. We are projected to open in Mid Jan. We probably could open before the holidays but it would not be a great time to do so as we do not want to rush the project and open incorrectly and give a bad impression.
As I was reading the comments, I just wanted to re-iterate the high-end comment as printed in the newspaper article. I was referring to high-end options of beer and food for people to order as an option rather than just typical pub food and drink. We will have 40 draught lines which will include the conventional classics like Guinness, Bud products, Miller products etc, along with some great local craft beer selections that are more local to the North east area. In the last few years, craft beer and better pub food have become synonomous with good establishments and people now expect to have these options available as a variety. We have a simple rule that people expect to get what they pay for, and we intend to give that simple rule to Hackettstown very soon. We look forward to meeting you all and we are very gracious for your gratitude and support.
Slainte,
John Mac Lochlainn
Mark Fallow

John Mac Lochlainn John Mac Lochlainn
Oct '12

Wow! 40 draught lines!! Yum, Yum, Yum!!!

trekster3 trekster3
Oct '12

Sounds great to me. Thanks John.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '12

Wonderful. Can't wait!

Christine Christine
Oct '12

Gosh, this is going to be exciting!! Looking forward to your opening, even though it is delayed, bc excellence takes time!!

reedfamilyrocks reedfamilyrocks
Oct '12

Dear Mark & John,
Thanks for the info. I hope that you will have delicious food for vegetarians and vegans on your menu too! High-end food is good ......... but so often as a vegetarian I am at a "high-end" restaurant and I have nothing to order except a "token" offering, ....at a "high-end" price. (and often it covers 1/4 of the plate. Why do people think vegetarians don't eat ???? )
We want delicious food too !!!
Please don't forget us and have some options for us that are delicious and worth the high-end price!!
Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

happy girl
Oct '12

Mmmm... guiness

Metsman Metsman
Oct '12

Words can't even explain how excited my friends and I are for your doors to open. Having a decent pub in town is so desperately needed. We've waited for this long, a couple months is ok. I'm sure your business is going to do great! There are a lot of people in town looking for their new "cheers". Good luck and see you opening night!

villani villani
Oct '12

I hope you will also have gluten free entrees!!!!!

Fallen Angel Fallen Angel
Oct '12

Yeah, and I want kosher food!

Vous
Oct '12

Me & the Hub are looking forward to your Grand Opening! Good luck and be sure to advertise in the surrounding areas in addition to Hackettstown.

MrsPipes MrsPipes
Oct '12

You guys are great and this blog is addictive. Yes 'happy girl', we will have vegetarian and gluten free dishes indictated on the menu which we hope will satisfy your cravings. As for Kosher, we will have kosher salt. Rock on 'Vous'. LOL
Cheers
John & Mark
Bea McNallys

John Mac Lochlainn John Mac Lochlainn
Oct '12

Not crazy about the name of the place would've went with something like "The Haven".

But good luck to you!

Can't wait! I hope you have Allagash on tap. ;)
I personally can't wait to move out of this lame town next year but I'm really looking forward to visiting this place until the move.

Looking forward to some Smithwicks on tap - our drink when visiting Ireland annually visiting family there -- also would love some great authentic "chips" Irish style (not fries) and seafood chowder served like some great pubs in Ireland...and scones would be great... and brown bread -- all true to the authentic Irish food served everywhere throughout Ireland today...and a good mug o' Barry's Irish tea to warm the bones...great Irish sausage and chips...I could go on and on. We have not found any authentic Irish food establishments (the ones that we have found are Irish American and tend to be greasy w/o many truly Irish options)- it would be the ultimate "Irish blessing" if your establishment offered these authentic choices - Looking forward to trying it out!

Some Blood Pudding would nice also!

Denis Denis
Oct '12

Smithwicks rules.

You do realize, this place is going to be PACKED. And Applebee's and Ruby's will feel the effect.

Oct '12

John Mac Lochlainn,

Can you explain your reference to Kosher ?

happy girl
Oct '12

what is there to explain, Vous asked if there were kosher items and it was answered.

Just a Joke......

vous
Oct '12

The kosher crack is not sooo nice.

acl76 acl76
Oct '12

I second the pudding and please bring in Bulmers!

Kevin Kevin
Oct '12

Stating they will have kosher salt was an appropriate answer.

MikeL MikeL
Oct '12

Guess we'll have to disagree on that one...sure they don't care if they make cracks...

acl76 acl76
Oct '12

I guess you mean 'craic', which would make some sense.

MikeL MikeL
Oct '12

These guys are opening an Irish pub. Do you typical see pubs maintaining a kosher kitchen. Give them a break!

hector
Oct '12

John and Mark,
I want to apply for a job at Bea McNally's and am currently a high school student. How old do you have to be to apply and do I just fill out an application at the reasturaunt mon-fri?

jobseeker96 jobseeker96
Nov '12

I'm sure you all know that "Smithwick's" is pronounced "Smiddicks"... but just in case, I wouldn't want anyone to embarrass themselves on the first day (-;

ianimal ianimal
Nov '12

Chill out happyGirl. Dont you get some fun sarcasm when you see it ? Maybe they should have spagetti and meatballs on the menu also.

jerseycash5
Nov '12

John/Mark - do you guys hail from Ireland?

Computer Sharp Computer Sharp
Nov '12

jerseycash5,
Your interpretation is not something I am interested in. I will wait for John's answer, if he chooses to give one.

happy girl
Nov '12

Guess we won't be seeing happy girl on St. Patty's Day at Bea McNally's!

John C John C
Nov '12

John C,
What is the basis for your curious statement?

happy girl
Nov '12

Who wants to join me there then?

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Nov '12

Walk-in applicants are being accepted
10:00 am - 3:00 pm - Monday through Friday ONLY!

this is according to hackettstown BID

somebody somebody
Nov '12

That would make it hard for high school students to apply, no?

ianimal ianimal
Nov '12

It would make it hard for people with daytime jobs to apply too!

MikeL MikeL
Nov '12

Maybe they should just take calls and have people come to your house with the application and make sure they fit your schedule. If people want a job they will show up during the times given. Not everything in the world will cater to ever person.

That would be nice. Good suggestions & I hope they do catering too.

MikeL MikeL
Nov '12

But I guess it makes it easy for all those with no job

somebody somebody
Nov '12

Good Evening everybody,
John is in Ireland this week to take care of some family affairs. He will be back next week. I would like to say that the "kosher salt" comment was just a joke that I gave to John. It was not meant to offend anyone. If It did,I sincerely apologize. We will be taking weekend applications as we get closer to opening. To answer the above question,John is from Ireland and I am from here. We are excited to be in Hackettstown and will try our best to meet expectations.
Mark
Bea McNally's
Irish Pub and Eatery

Mark and John Mark and John
Nov '12

I went to Greenberg's deli yesterday. Can you believe they didn't have Irish soda bread?

hector
Nov '12

LOL Hector.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '12

Wait....that was a joke? You mean your salt is NOT kosher?!??!?!

hector
Nov '12

Mark, I took it as a joke and thought it was funny. People are really to sensitive these days and need to lighten up. Why anyone would think an Irish Pub would offer Koosher food is beyond my comprehension. Does anyone expect Katz's Deli on Delancey Street in NYC to serve Shepards Pie or Fish & Chips or for Mama's to serve Corned Beef and Cabbage.

kb2755 kb2755
Nov '12

As we say in County Roscommon......... Oy Vey !

hector
Nov '12

Too funny. You are killing it tonight hector. :)

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '12

Wait a minute, Mama's doesn't serve Corned Beef and Cabbage?

My night is ruinnnnnnnnned!!!

Computer Sharp Computer Sharp
Nov '12

CS - I was pissed when I found out that Pandam Room didn't serve pizza.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '12

Corned Beef and Cabbage Parm!

A kosher reuben sandwich would definitely not be the same.

Does high-end Irish food include buffalo wings? I don't care whether it's Irish or not...a good bar food menu has to include wings. PLEEEEEAAAAASSSSEEEE!

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '12

I agree emaxxmann. Good wings are key for any bar. Especially one with a lot of TVs for football watching.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '12

Do you have to be of Irish descent to work at Bea's ? If Im not Irish but have freckles will you make an exception ? Will happygirl be the greeter at the front door ? She could be charming after a bagel and cream cheese.

jerseycash5
Nov '12

Is there a target date for opening?

hector
Dec '12

Hi all - one of the owners came in the office today - with the slow down during the holidays they're looking at 4-6 weeks, hoping for the end of January!

trekster3 trekster3
Dec '12

photographs well at night

It's a beautiful building and I am so happy that it's sticking around! Can't wait to check it out.

Firefly Firefly
Dec '12

To The Owners...Appears to be a open man hole with only a traffic cone near it in the driveway of Bea McNallys...very near the sidewalk.

PREDATOR PREDATOR
Dec '12

@Predator, maybe you should just call the police and ask them about that. We don't know how often the owners check this forum and that could be a very dangerous situation if a toddler was running ahead, an animal, etc. I'm sure the owners don't want anything tragic happening on their property and would appreciate an heads up immediately. Could be one of the workers just forgot to cover it. The police can maybe put a wood board over it to cover it.

Is there an opening date yet?

villani villani
Jan '13

Not an official date yet, but they're on track for 3-4 weeks!

trekster3 trekster3
Jan '13

Cant wait. I have a feeling the food is going to be good. If the owners are smart they will be very careful about the type of persons they hire.especially behind the bar. A good bartender has a welcoming way, doesnt stuff their face while waiting on customers ,gossip about other customers and so on. The staff can make or break an otherwise good business.

jerseycash5
Jan '13

jerseycash - I don't mind a bartender grabbing a bite during their shift if they are working long hours. However, I can't stand when bartenders sit or stand there texting when my glass is empty.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '13

A smart owner would not allow texting when working . The empty glass is an annoyance also thats why I carry my own flask.

jerseycash5
Jan '13

Female..attractive & thin..thats what I look for in a bartender.

Jed Clampett Jed Clampett
Jan '13

Male, Tall, Dark and Handsome thats what I look for in a bartender.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jan '13

Well Jed, she is coming just as you ordered, her name is Stella! Enjoy!!!

"Her name is Stella" - Oops, that's not his wife's name.

Yes, the bartender that currently works at Bensi's

villani villani
Jan '13

STELLAAAAAAAA!

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '13

Streetcar named Desire?

Wow, it's been decades since I read that. Probably 35 years.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Jan '13

You've got it RV!

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '13

Then the male bartender has to be "George"...
GEORGE!!!!! MARTHA!!!! GEORGE!! MARTHA?
Boy, am I dating myself!! Lol!

joyful joyful
Jan '13

i know one of our favorite bartender from HL that will be working there. Everyone loves her for sure!

Christine Christine
Jan '13

In that case, it may not be oops after all...

I will be there to get liquored up and check out Stella..will have Jethro drive me home.

Jan '13

Don't forget Grandma, Jed!.....she will be sitting in her rocking chair up on top of the truck holding on to her "trusty" rifle!!

joyful joyful
Jan '13

Forget Granny, bring Elli Mae along, I heard shes fun!!!

You are right, RM...anyway, Granny always has her own jug of "moonshine" by her side wherever she goes.

joyful joyful
Jan '13

Stella's there? Sounds like trouble... for your livers! ;)

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jan '13

Donna Douglas aka Elly mae will be 80 this year. And granny is most likely long gone.

jerseycash5
Jan '13

Anyone have any more info on an opening date?

Townies Townies
Jan '13

Erika Eleniak is only 43. She can reprise her movie role and the old one can step in for Granny. Problem solved (-;

ianimal ianimal
Jan '13

Is there a phone number yet? I am looking to apply for a job. I see a sign outside that they are still hiring but are applications by walk-in only?

ess - we've been asking for a phone number, but they are still only accepting applications by walk-in - Mon. - Fri. 10 am - 3 pm. - If I hear anything otherwise, I will certainly pass the info along!

trekster3 trekster3
Jan '13

Those hours make it virtually impossible for a student to apply or someone working full- time and wanting a part-time job.

Firefly Firefly
Jan '13

Mark had said (above) back in Novebmer that weekend applications would be accepted as they get closer to opening. So is this close enough? Would certainly be curious of times! Mark if you're still out there, updates would be much appreciated if you're still looking for help! Thanks

PetLover
Jan '13

took a stroll through today, looks Fantastic!! What a big change. New sign up,major changes... Can't wait!!! just wondering how my friendly ghost are liking this???

scoop scoop
Jan '13

scoop..will you be working there ?

Jan '13

Any word on an opening..would love to go tonight..watch rangers knicks

vous
Jan '13

Not yet, hit some minor snafu's but making massive progress..... still looking at a couple of weeks (+).... And no, I still don't have a contact number or email address to release to the public, as soon as I do, you'll know!!

trekster3 trekster3
Jan '13

A little bird told me that there is a hiring person there today - 10:00 am - 3:00 pm!

trekster3 trekster3
Feb '13

Oh and their Facebook page is UP!! Nothing there yet, but if you use FB, make sure you 'like' them so you get their updates!!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bea-Mcnallys-Irish-Pub/149210078567553?fref=ts

trekster3 trekster3
Feb '13

My DH just got hired to be a cook there for 2 nights a week!! OMG!! He is the best cook!

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Feb '13

:-) that's great news!

JessM. JessM.
Feb '13

Glad to see it's a one way around the building.

auntiel
Feb '13

Thought it always was one way. People I knew always treated as one way

check it out
Feb '13

Yes it was, many people didn't though. They have changed the direction. The arrows on the pavement are clearly marked. Didn't notice if the signs are up yet. It's going to take a while for people to get it. We've all been going in the same way for 40+ years.

auntiel
Feb '13

Hello john/mark,
I run a social club in the area that has been looking for a place to have our monthly meetups.The club is active in the community events.It would be awesome to talk with you through email or maybe meet in town.If you have time shoot me a email at Jerseybmc@gmail.com or check out the clubs facebok page. Facebook.com/Jerseybmc

BeardClub BeardClub
Feb '13

So when is it opening????!!!???

Nosila Nosila
Feb '13

It certainly makes sense to change the circulation pattern. I always thought it was dumb to have the one-way entrance AFTER the exit when approaching a traffic signal on a busy street. Of course, once I learned of its existence, I always entered from the super-secret alternate entrance off of Moore Street and avoided Grand Ave altogether... hopefully, they didn't close this off?

ianimal ianimal
Feb '13

Webpage is UP! There is a page to get on their email list, so you'll get the updates!

http://www.beamcnallys.com/

Feb '13

It's too bad their menu isn't up on the website yet. That's like opening a bar but not having any beer yet, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '13

Thanks, Wendy, for the info about the mailing list. I just signed up to be on that. Can't wait for the opening!!

joyful joyful
Feb '13

Their address on the website is Hacketts Town

LOL.I'm going to guess someone local is not the webmaster.

Ijustdontgetthisall
Feb '13

FYI, The menu should be up pretty soon.... And we're looking like under 3 weeks before opening. Hoping there aren't any snags, but by all reports things are looking fantastic!

trekster3 trekster3
Feb '13

Thanks, trekster. I'm pretty sure they'll have the standards like Fish and Chips, Cottage Pie, Bangers and Mash and Guinness Stew. I was just curious if they were going to go "Full Irish"... sometimes you just need a big breakfast, even if it's 10 o'clock at night.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '13

Really hope they are open for our 23rd wedding anniversary on St. Patrick's Day....Sounds like they just might be!!

joyful joyful
Feb '13

When can a high school kid go to apply for a job?

SMcNally SMcNally
Feb '13

Any new updates about opening date trekster3?

Townies Townies
Feb '13

Drum roll please......

They have given an opening date of.....

Monday Feb. 25th at 3:00 pm!!!

trekster3 trekster3
Feb '13

Great news. Do you have an ETA for the internet menu yet?

ianimal ianimal
Feb '13

All right!

Firefly Firefly
Feb '13

Yeah!!!!!!!

joyful joyful
Feb '13

I just called the number I found online. The owner, John, answered and he said that their large bar will be located upstairs. The bar is in the middle of the floor, so there will be seating around the entire bar. It should fit 40 people. The downstairs area will be a lounge.

Steve
Feb '13

The bar is on the lower level , there are rooms with tables in the two upper rooms, the third floor closed,

Third floor is closed! Can't say I'm surprised!

Painkiller
Feb '13

The menu's up... I think I did a pretty good job of predicting their Irish dishes, lol... alas, no Full Irish breakfast though :-(

http://www.beamcnallys.com/ordereze/Menu/5/MenuItems.aspx

ianimal ianimal
Feb '13

Prices look reasonable; the selection looks fantastic... can't wait to try it.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '13

Thanks for posting the menu ianimal.....yes, the prices and the menu both look great...Can't wait to try it out!

joyful joyful
Feb '13

Ian - Are you sure about the Full Irish Breakfast?? When I click on the menu I get:

Guinness
20 oz Imperial pint. Launched in 1759. Dry Irish Stout. World renowned classic.

Menu looks interesting. Burgers and appetizers look good and well-priced. Fish and chips seem expensive but I guess it depends on the quantity.

They have wings! That's important and appreciated!

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '13

Same color as black pudding, but not quite the same thing, GC. I guess three or four of them would be a decent enough breakfast though, lol

ianimal ianimal
Feb '13

Beer and food selection look good!

The menu looks great and it's very reasonable. Cannot wait to try it.

Firefly Firefly
Feb '13

Wow, that menu looks fantastic...can't wait!!!

Jules Jules
Feb '13

Arrogant Bastard and Chimay on tap, and a cocktail named Whiskey Dick? Yeah, I'm ready for happy hour...

ianimal ianimal
Feb '13

No Kosher vegan menu though. ;-)

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '13

Huh?

Bessie Bessie
Feb '13

I guess kosher vegans dont put soy cheese on their veggie burgers?

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Feb '13

Iphone-imal..there was another post that's been removed..something about weapons or some thing...weird, very weird.

Bessie Bessie
Feb '13

Bessie
happy girl and fallen angel reference on this thread Oct 12

Firefly Firefly
Feb '13

re: no vegan --- no problem, sweet potato fries and a cold Leinenkugel works for me!!!

trekster3 trekster3
Feb '13

Some pics are posted up on NJ.com - truly can't wait for this place to open

http://photos.nj.com/warren-photos/2013/02/bea_mcnallys_opening_in_hacket_1.html

jpb3302 jpb3302
Feb '13

@firefly..what was posted and removed was definitely not about the posts you'be referenced. I think someone may have posted on the wrong thread

Bessie Bessie
Feb '13

Looks like a pretty nice menu

Cowgirl1 Cowgirl1
Feb '13

Can't wait to get a flight of beer!!!

englishe30 englishe30
Feb '13

Went to picture link - anybody notice the ghost orbs in this picture from BM's?

Ghostbuster
Feb '13

Bessie...I didn't realise something had been removed. Actually it was vous that mentioned kosher food. Fallen Angel wanted vegan and happy girl was just looking for gluten free..It seemed like emaxxman was making an innocent reference to the posts below. Didn't realise there was drama on this thread...Sheesh...I'm thrilled it's opening.

emaxxman

Dear Mark & John,
Thanks for the info. I hope that you will have delicious food for vegetarians and vegans on your menu too! High-end food is good ......... but so often as a vegetarian I am at a "high-end" restaurant and I have nothing to order except a "token" offering, ....at a "high-end" price. (and often it covers 1/4 of the plate. Why do people think vegetarians don't eat ???? )
We want delicious food too !!!
Please don't forget us and have some options for us that are delicious and worth the high-end price!!
Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

emaxxman

happy girl
I hope you will also have gluten free entrees!!!!!

Yeah, and I want kosher food!

Vous

Firefly Firefly
Feb '13

Live a little and have a burger Firefly. It will do ya good and with fries only 8 bucks! Is it opening Monday at 3 still ?? Can I reserve a seat at the bar?

jerseycash5
Feb '13

Opens on Feb. 25th

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Feb '13

I have no eating issues whatsoever...my last post was in response to Bessie - which was in response to me - which was in response to her, LOL

I can't wait - it won't be a burger but it will be something yummy no doubt.

Firefly Firefly
Feb '13

Just Dust Ghostbuster

John C John C
Feb '13

@firefly, the comment was there, I said huh?, went back a few minutes later and it was removed. Had to do with weaponry if I recall, LOL, nothing to do with the restaurant talk.

Bessie Bessie
Feb '13

Fish and chips says real cod, which if it is, will soon cost as much as truffles. Cod is going the way of the Dodo because we have way overfished it. It looks like the tipping point has been reached where it will take generations to rebound if at all because we also overfished the Cod's feeding stock on the food chain. Get used to Tilapia....

Newfie descendant Newfie descendant
Feb '13

Ianimal I agree with you on the black pudding. A full Irish breakfast would have been awesome during football season. We order black pudding online for $3.50/roll. We will place an order around Christmas for 8 rolls or so and freeze them for special events across the year. All we need todo is slice and fry... Delicious.

Newfie descendant Newfie descendant
Feb '13

Newfie...I'm not surprised. Even tilapia is getting expensive - and the farm raised stuff isn't even that healthy for you. I do love a good battered and fried piece of fish.

Emaxxman Emaxxman
Feb '13

Yeah, Newfie, some people actually like milk with their oatmeal... pig's blood is so much tastier (-;

ianimal ianimal
Feb '13

Are the still hiring?!

Amanda10 Amanda10
Feb '13

Amanda, I don't think so, I believe they're fully staffed - getting ready to open on Monday! I would give it a couple of weeks.

trekster3 trekster3
Feb '13

Food being off loaded today...

I was off yesterday and went by there a few times doing errands and EVERY time there were people in and out. The excitement around town is amazing!

Christine Christine
Feb '13

I am so happy that it is opening!!...My son and his wife went to Dublin recently and they are excited about the opening too! Looking forward to maybe someday working there? Hopefully.. But in the interim, going to enjoy some serious Irish food with the fam....

hperson hperson
Feb '13

The menu online looks fab and the "buzz" around town is even better. We so need a place like this!

I hope it does well and stays in buisness. It will be nice to have another bar/pub in town that will hopefully have great food to go with the great beer menu..

englishe30 englishe30
Feb '13

YUM ! menu looks great!

darlughh darlughh
Feb '13

I need some fish n chips NOW!!!

Natalie Natalie
Feb '13

Hubby and I are very excited. We LOVE great beer and of course good food. I think we may wait awhile until the hype dies down to go. I'm sure the place will be a mad house inthe begining.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Feb '13

It even smells good already.

Just heard the Owner and GM, Mark and John, on the air with WRNJ's Russ Long. Sounds like it's gonna be awesome! Love those Irish accents :)

Hondo Hondo
Feb '13

Can't wait until it opens. Although, I probably won't go for a few weeks, it's gonna be crowded for awhile.

Just-a-wee-bit-Irish Just-a-wee-bit-Irish
Feb '13

beer prices are a little much... I guess trying to keep the local young crowd out... PBR the same price as Bud Light doesn't seem right. Hopefully they run some good deals to increase the night life around these parts.

joejoe joejoe
Feb '13

joejoe are you for real, you think 3.75 for a beer in a place this nice is high. I suggest do not go to a yankee or ranger game you may pass out if you see those beer prices. The prices more then look competitive to me.

The soft opening/ribbon cutting ceremony was held this evening at Bea McNallys and The Duke and I had the privilege of being two among a restaurant full of people and honored guests attending. To say that I was in awe of a place would be a understatement. The most magnificent bar is in the center of the entire restaurant surrounded by cozy booths and lounge type tables and chairs. If you want a pub/lounge atmosphere with plenty of TVs and great Irish beer, food and drinks.....you have it here. We were invited to try anything we wanted from the bar, a great staff serving wonderful appetizers and later a full buffet ( the fish and chips were great) and even bagpipers performing. Irish music playing as well. Hackettstown is in for a real treat with this new Irish Pub so be sure and get over there and see what they have to offer. You will not be disappointed.!

joyful joyful
Feb '13

It sounds like heaven. Great review and I will be there soon!

Firefly Firefly
Feb '13

Joyful - Here, Here - one of the Best nights out I've had in a while! Now, for news that will make some of you unhappy ---- they will be opening to the public on Wednesday, Feb. 27th --- I do not know why --- my guess being that they found some 'kinks' that need to be worked out before they go 'live'!

The Good news - My hubby (the non vegetarian) said the Bangers and Mash, Corned Beef & Cabbage and Fish and Chips were all good --- but he REALLY liked the Lollipop chicken appetizer!

We both tried the McNally's Ale which was very nice.

A wonderful soft opening and ALL of the service staff were wonderful especially Brittany and Antoinette, I didn't get the name of the third one that was also very attentive.

For the real info - the Bangers are from Gil The Sausage Man previously seen at the Moore Street Market - I am personally delighted that Gil is able to provide the specialty sausage that they needed!!

Oh and the Bagpipers were parts of 'Rory O'Moore's' which you will see at the parade!!

Kudos Mark and John - Oh and Arlene too - a wonderful soire!

trekster3 trekster3
Feb '13

Although I had never been to the building before, I was totally impressed by how exquisite the place is. It is evident that a lot of thought was put into the design,decorating,menu,layout and every detail of this establishment. I'm a non drinker but I can tell you the bar is outstanding with flat screens everywhere and a long list of traditional and Irish beers and other liquors as well. Each of the rooms are done in a different theme and no matter what you are planning,catching a beer and some lunch,holding a business meeting or a social event this place can handle it all.The menu is a great compilation of foods to satisfy any taste, at a very reasonable price.The food I had was outstanding and the staff was quite attentive.What a great place to compliment the downtown and become a destination . Best of luck to Mark and John.

My husband came back exhausted and thinks he hurt his knee again from standing all day and night for this wonderful occasion..he is one of their cooks and he could not have been happier with the way things turned out tonight! Wish I could have been there as my mom and whole family are from Ireland(Donegal, Waterford and Dublin). Im sure I will be there quite often in the future!

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Feb '13

That is disappointing about the opening (but very smart) as we were looking for a spot for tomorrow night to celebrate a birthday.

Firefly Firefly
Feb '13

I know someone who was there last night and they said it is opening on Tuesday?! Hmmm...

IrishGal IrishGal
Feb '13

I heard that it will be opening Tuesday as well

Just saying is all
Feb '13

So not opening tonight?
Can we get an official date from someone?

Yum pretzels Yum pretzels
Feb '13

"Now, for news that will make some of you unhappy ---- they will be opening to the public on Wednesday, Feb. 27th --- I do not know why --- my guess being that they found some 'kinks' that need to be worked out before they go 'live'!" - trekster3

There's your answer, Yum Pretzels

Feb '13

There is a possibility that they will open Tues. at 3:00 pm, but as of right now, it's looking like Weds. If we hear otherwise, we'll certainly pass along the news...

Feb '13

@Lori...since "73, So your are verifying to Yum pretzels that Wednesday is the OFFICIAL date like she was asking for?? Do you have inside facts on this or are you just going by hearsay or what the rumors are??
@Yum pretzels, I suggest calling B's tomorrow and asking the restaurant for their official opening date. Too many people throwing around dates on here.

villani villani
Feb '13

I was so looking forward to their opening on 2/25. Don't know why some of you got to have an early tryout--we certainly were not invited. Don't think I will ever try this place now. Sign said as of yesterday opening soon and we were counting the minutes. Not so anymore. You want to do a soft opening without people who would have been there the second you opened your door go ahead. But don't ever expect us to show up.

Panther Lady
Feb '13

villani,

As Trekster is the BID contact with the restaurant I'd hate to think they were telling her the wrong info to share. Then again, maybe they don't want to make a profit and are trying to keep people from showing up...

Yum Pretzel, please post what you find out, since all this 'date throwing' is confusing people...

Feb '13

Panther Lady- They do a soft opening to make sure everything is PERFECT for their customers that have been waiting for it to open.....it's a normal business practice to make sure they have all their processes in place.

It wasn't like the world was invited and you were the only one left out.

Nosila Nosila
Feb '13

Wow, some people sure do take things personally, LOL. If Panther Lady doesn't show up I'm guessing there are about 200 other people who will gladly take her seat :D

So, while we're on the subject, who was 'invited' to the soft opening at the pretzel joint?

Feb '13

Panther Lady, why would you feel that way and begrudge them? Most restaurants will invite town people acquainted with the business for soft openings before a public opening. No need to feel resentment. Lots more things in life to get panties in a knot for.

Ijustdontgetthisall
Feb '13

Thank you Nosila for clarifying that....usually a soft opening will include special guests of the owners (by invitation only) and those that helped him to make his dream become a reality.. usually.contractors, police, fireman, town council and close friends.

joyful joyful
Feb '13

Mmmmmm.... soft openings.....

ianimal ianimal
Feb '13

Nosila, you hit the nail on the head but it's the 'friends and family' evening - mostly to give the staff a busy day and test them in front of friendly customers. I know I did it for Ken's Corner and I know Stella G's did it as well (I wasn't invited to that one, but I totally understand and I still go there).

A soft opening is when they open prior to their Grand Opening and just quietly open their doors often without telling anyone they are open. They gently go into business. Usually after a couple of days they start shouting from the rooftops that they are open and have a Grand Opening a few weeks after.

and Yes, I saw one of the owners today and he said he'd let me know. As soon as I know, you'll know!

trekster3 trekster3
Feb '13

Well that was quick ---- Just got a text - they will be opening TUESDAY 3:00 PM, but I would suggest calling first just to be certain!

trekster3 trekster3
Feb '13

Panther Lady? This isn't the same person as Casitcat, is it? I hope this doesn't turn into ....

LITIGATION!!!!

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '13

Will definitely have to try it out.

I kind of want to see them literally yelling from the roof top that they're open. That would be fun.

RyanOMac RyanOMac
Feb '13

Ryan --- Great idea - have a 'shouting from the rooftops' competition/promotion among the businesses!!

trekster3 trekster3
Feb '13

Have bagpipers up there on St. Patrick's Day and at points during the parade.

RyanOMac RyanOMac
Feb '13

okay people, please, please, please don't shoot the messenger ---

Just got another text ----- Wednesday it is :(

Only another day, you'll just be ever more thirsty!

trekster3 trekster3
Feb '13

trekster3 I know you mean well but why not let the manager be the spokesperson. The back and forth thing is making the place look unorganized and unprofessional.

Firefly Firefly
Feb '13

It's approx 8 pm on monday evening and I just finished dinner at Bea McNally's. I had heard of the soft opening on WRNJ last week sometime when Mark was on the air. He had mentioned that the soft opening was going to be today (Mon.) Someone also mentioned it to me today of the soft opening so I went for dinner. I had french onion soup...a glass of sam adams...corned beef and cabbage with mashed potatoes and a cappucinno for dessert. The place is stunning and there is nobody who wouldn't be proud to take family and friend's there. I spoke with Mark who told me the hours will be Mon-Sun from 11am to 2 am. Dinners will be served until 11 and then appetizers and sliders and bar food, etc...until 2am. Mark also told me as i left that the official opening day will be Wednesday (I believe he said at noon). Maybe I was mistaken and it will be 11am but definately on Wednesday...... The corned beef and cabbage was just wonderful and large portions. I took more than half of it home. My waitress was Dina and waiter Danny and everyone there was very pleasant and friendly and accomodating to me. I was given the grand tour. I will be going back soon.

just the facts maam just the facts maam
Feb '13

So all of the above was wrong. Sheesh.

Sounds like a good time jtfm-

Firefly Firefly
Feb '13

CB&C with "mashed" potatoes? That's different...

ianimal ianimal
Feb '13

FYI, not that I feel I have to explain myself, but the information I was getting was FROM the management! Mark was in our office today saying he was hoping to get open Tuesday, but they had a computer glitch that they wanted to have straightened out. At about 4:30 I sent a text to the manager asking for a status and at that point it was Tuesday.... Then, as soon as they knew (around 7 pm) they sent me the other text that went back to Wednesday. I don't think it's unprofessional at all to have the desire to open up as soon as possible or to let people know the latest information. I certainly wouldn't want anyone going there thinking they were open.

trekster3 trekster3
Feb '13

Ianimal, what so you serve with your corned beef and cabbage? We've always had mashed potatoes. My dad would make Bubble and Squeak with the leftover corned beef, cabbage, mashed potatoes, carrots and onions. He always did the same thing with leftover ham. Always interested in what other people do..

Bessie Bessie
Feb '13

Boiled potatoes. The braising liquid that comes off the beef and cabbage doesn't mix well with the milk and butter in mashed potatoes. They start to separate and get funky. Which isn't to say that I don't "mash" the potatoes with my fork before I eat them, they just aren't typically "prepared" mashed potatoes like I would eat with roast beef or chicken...

ianimal ianimal
Feb '13

We always do a boiled potato - no need to explain at all trekster but apparently according to just the facts maam they were open tonight. I have no problem with them doing a soft opening but usually no one is notified ( like on a public forum) when the opening is. I just think it's odd that there is so much misinformation.

Firefly Firefly
Feb '13

What you say makes sense, but we did always have mashed potatoes and still do. The potatoes were cooked in a separate pot and then mashed. Maybe that's how they did it because neither my sister or I eat cabbage and wouldn't eat the potatoes cooked with the cabbage, who knows. Both my mom and dad are gone, so there's no one to ask. All I know is I love to dip the corned beef in the mashed potatoes.

Bessie Bessie
Feb '13

Ianimal is correct. No mashed potatoes with cb&c. Best is boil the potato with the meat & cabbage. I personally like to chop it all up on my plate and mix it together :) Beer is a must!

That's a whole different animal, Bessie. I'm guessing they didn't boil the beef with the cabbage, either? If the beef was slow roasted and there was no cabbage, you wouldn't have a plate full of liquid and the mashed potatoes would hold up just fine. But that's not traditional CB&C (-;

ianimal ianimal
Feb '13

Exactly - I was only reporting the info that was given me... It would be misinformation if it was put out there intentionally to deceive, which I'm sure was not the managements intent. they just wanted to be sure they were ready for the onslaught of community support. As of the WRNJ interview last week, it was set for Monday. If it's announced on the radio, that's not really a soft opening, but apparently jtfm was lucky enough to dine tonight, which is great!

trekster3 trekster3
Feb '13

They would boil the beef with carrots and onions, add the cabbage at the end. I guess we didn't mind that..just no potatoes cooked with it. He cooked ham the same way. I still love ham made on the top of the stove as opposed to a baked ham.

Bessie Bessie
Feb '13

I am trying to make plans for a birthday dinner for Tues - at least 10 people are involved - would have loved to introduce some (slightly out of towners)as well as the locals to the place but I can't keep changing plans on them. Frustrating. That's all.

Firefly Firefly
Feb '13

I guess if you were going to make mashed potatoes, you wouldn't want the other flavors mixing in with them. That makes sense. Primarily, it's the cabbage that soaks up all the liquid and makes the dish so wet, typically. Did they do something special to drain the cabbage before serving it?

In my house, it was just pulling out the beef, letting it rest and slicing it. The remainder of the veggies got scooped out of the pot with a slotted spoon and put on the plate. Then everything got slathered in horseradish mustard... yum.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '13

Well, I've lost interest. If they can't do a soft opening without pissing people off,
I'll wait for awhile, at least until some real reviews after the grand opening.

Very disappointing behavior.

MikeL MikeL
Feb '13

I don't think it's the behavior of the management that is disappointing....

trekster3 trekster3
Feb '13

Really?!? Are you guys out of your minds? Did you ever stop to think that maybe last night's soft opening didn't go as well as planned from a service standpoint and they thought another night of practice would benefit their paying customers once they finally DID open? I have a lot of respect for guys who are willing to sacrifice a night of big receipts in order to "get it right" before they open to the public.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '13

I do think it's the responsibility of management & your involvement
With the misinformation is questionable too.b

MikeL MikeL
Feb '13

They don't owe it to anyone to open one night over another. Geesh. The entitlement. When they open, they open.

Nicholas Nicholas
Feb '13

So they were open this evening Monday after all. Sounds like childish games to me. Next we will hear they are opening next week.

jerseycash5
Feb '13

Unfortunately, the information being put out there is from seemingly one source. Maybe trekster could pass the word to them to just do it themselves. That way, only they can be blamed. But, as of now, give them a break! They themselves didn't come on and say hey we're open or come in for a soft opening or anything else. They had coming soon on their sign. What more do people want? It sounds like people are getting miffed over not getting personal invites in the mail. Did you get them for ALL the businesses that have opened in town? No.

Talk about anxious. Soft opening: let them work out the kinks. Most restaurants will do that and overstaff to weed out new employees. Get a grip.

Ijustdontgetthisall
Feb '13

I say if they pissed you off, don't go to their establishment, plain and simple. It seems like they have quite a few waiting for them to open whenever the date finally comes. Firefly, sounds like it might be best to just make plans at a place you know is opened to avoid having to make alternate plans. Maybe it will be running smooth next time you have a group to get together.
@Ianimal, it was served the same as yours, let the meat rest, and everything else went in a bowl.

Bessie Bessie
Feb '13

Wow, I can not believe what I am reading here. Do all of you that were not invited to the soft grand opening feel entitled to being there. Is this the problem? Did you want to be part of the disection of the corned beef or the potato, or did you want to bring the Guinness home in a test tube and get it looked at. All I can say is disgrace to all if you that felt the need to give your entitled two cents. My advice to you is please dont go. Entitled is not a quality it is a badge of suffering.......

Steve-0 Steve-0
Feb '13

Good evening all,
I would like to clear things up for everyone. I am one of the managers at Bea McMally's and have been in contact with trekster3 over the past few days in regards to our opening. Earlier I started a new post that we would not be opening until Wednesday, it seams to have been deleted. Mark and John thought long and hard about postponing our opening and it was a very difficult decision to make. They, along with the entire staff want your experience at Bea McMally's to be the best it can be.
We ran into a few kinks that needed to be taken care of before we opened. We are all excited about opening and look forward to meeting each and every one of you!!!

Arlene
Manager, Bea McMallys Irish Pub

Arlene Arlene
Feb '13

Folks...this soft opening type stuff happens all the time. It's like a circus atmosphere. I look forward to stopping in at some point in the near future and taking in the place. Especially the bar. All my best to the Staff, Management and the Owners.

Jon Taffer
Feb '13

I now look fondly back on 'the good old days' when you had to go to 'The Cottage' for coffee and... to get all of the town information!! I suspect the conversation would have gone pretty much the same...

trekster3 trekster3
Feb '13

What a bunch of babies. Sheesh!

That said, I am looking forward to trying this place but will wait a few weeks until they have things running smoothly. Best of luck to them.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '13

Am I missing something? A manager now comments, but doesn't mention when they'll open?

Feb '13

Seems clear to me that Arlene wrote Wednesday.

Thanks Arlene :)

trekster3 trekster3
Feb '13

Babies is too kind Calico, I can think of a few more words to call the whining posters on this thread.

Too many people take what they read on here as the word of God and run with it. There is valuable info at times on this forum but sometimes these threads are no different than people just having a conversation about things. Then to turn around and say "but you said they would open blah blah" "now my life is ruined" and " I will never go there now because I was not invited to the soft opening" Seriously, get over yourselves!! " I read it on the Hackettstown Life forum so it has to be true!"

If you are hell bent on knowing for sure, call the restaurant directly.

Otherwise, as others have said this is the way it goes for openings. When they do open it will be awesome, there will be plenty of the patient people filling up the bar and restaurant.

ERIN GO BRAGH!

youngnfresh youngnfresh
Feb '13

Well, I did see that she said she started a new thread with Wednesday that had been deleted, but as she said, she tried to start it earlier yesterday, and then commented here last night. As things seems to be changing by the hour I thought she might give a definitive answer. I'm so glad it was clear to you Sue R...

Feb '13

I join those wishing Bea McNally's the best of success in the years to come. I look forward to frequent and enjoyable meals at your establishment. May all your hard work and planning pay off in generations of Hackettstonians and those in the surrounding areas, celebrating your meals and your friendship for many, many years...

Spring Fever
Feb '13

emaxxman that was truly funny

vous
Feb '13

WOW Just WOW!!

ALOT of people on here need a life........SMH

Christine Christine
Feb '13

"I was so looking forward to their opening on 2/25. Don't know why some of you got to have an early tryout--we certainly were not invited. Don't think I will ever try this place now. Sign said as of yesterday opening soon and we were counting the minutes. Not so anymore. You want to do a soft opening without people who would have been there the second you opened your door go ahead. But don't ever expect us to show up."

This has to be my favorite post I have ever read on HL. wow is all i have to say.

darwin darwin
Feb '13

I agree darwin..........

Christine Christine
Feb '13

Panther Lady is upset because, as Human/Big Cat hybrids, we are often shunned wherever we go. In our time not being found in NJ, we have never been invited to a soft opening. Philly Pretzel Factory = Nope. Bea McNally's = Nope. Bamboo Chinese Restaurant = Nope. I agree that we should be treated equally, and that we should be able to go to, and complain about, a restaurant before it opens.

Goodbye for Meow.

Cougar Man
Feb '13

A lot of you people are like babies on here !

LOL @ Cougar Man. Well done, sir. Tread lightly around the Chinese joint, or you might be part of the soft opening after all.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '13

^ Agree also. I've worked in restaurants and a few that were just opening. Soft openings are used to work out the kinks. Why would someone want to go there with 10 people and possibly not have a good experience because everything is new. I'm sure the owners and managers of the place don't want to comp people left and right because of some problems that need to be worked out.
Good luck to those involved in the new place. I wish you luck...and nice customers:)

blackcat blackcat
Feb '13

Panther Lady was probably just kidding. (at least I hope so). I think it was great that they did a test run. Just shows they are serious about providing an awesome experience when dinning there

kimberlysea kimberlysea
Feb '13

This has been entertaining to say the very least. Good luck to the place, hope it will be a very successful establishment.

Bessie Bessie
Feb '13

So many haters love to jump on the band wagon.

The only thing I was trying to clarify was whether it was open or not. I merely suggested that the info that trekster was being given was confusing. For what it's worth - when you do a soft opening you turn on the lights and unlock the door and wait for people to notice that you are open - I have never heard of doing a soft opening by announcing on a very popular local forum.
Talk about pack mentality - One person made a rude comment and that was panther lady and the pack attacks - for those of you that did jump on the band wagon it doesn't make you look good.

I am sure there will be a few more haters that will post after this but seriously everyone needs to relax.

Remember Kenneth Blunt and the HHS parking lot thread....Phew.

Firefly Firefly
Feb '13

I tend to agree with Firefly.

I think the purpose of a "soft" opening is that it's an opening that is supposed to be done *quietly* in nature. The "grand" opening is when ... as trekster put it, you shout it from the roof-tops.

I think the error was again ANNOUNCING a soft opening. I would be kind of annoyed too if this announcement was made that you're welcome to come and then find out that there's a lot of craziness and confusion going on. I understand the error, that trekster was just being a messenger and that everyone is so excited for this place (as am I).

I think it can be learning experience for all but in a way I think businesses in town should treat this forum similar to a newspaper in the sense that if information is published on here about date and time, that people are going to expect that the date and time are followed through. I'm not sure Trekster should be publishing information under the handle "trekster" as a representative of the BID and I think small business owners or managers should take it upon themselves to publish important information on here.

With that said I'm very excited to try out Bea McNally's the next time I'm back in Hackettstown (which won't be too long) and having an Irish pub in my 'home'town will be a reason for me to visit more frequently. I think we can put an end to this "soft opening" non-sense and ask....

WHEN'S THE GRAND OPENING?!?!?!

RyanOMac RyanOMac
Feb '13

I just called and they are officially openining tomorrow, Wednesday, 2/27 at 3pm.

abaniall abaniall
Feb '13

The "Grand Opening" is a ceremonial event that may not happen for a few weeks or months after the restaurant actually opens. I'm more interested in when the "Now Open" phase will be. Apparently, they're shooting for Wednesday.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '13

Let me be more specific--a soft opening means that you quietly opening your doors and serve those who have come to check the place out. A private party should have been mentioned on the sign--something like "closed for private party".

Panther Lady
Feb '13

Why would you put up a sign saying "closed for private party" when you're not even open yet?

The beauty of owning a business/restaurant is that you can decide when and how to open. I really hope the owners and management begin skipping this post.

Take your pick. Would you prefer a resturant that opened on time and was mediocre or one who had to postpone a time or two and served awsome food?

One choice.

I agree with Darwin too!

Soft openings typically aren't discussed on public message boards - they are done before the actual restaurant opening and they hopefully flag any necessary changes/fixes that need to be done for a smooth-running business.

Whomever was at the soft opening should have understood that it was a "private" and special honor to be part of it and not to publicly broadcast it.

I wish the new owner's much luck and success!

Jules Jules
Feb '13

Holy crap what a bunch of whiners. I want an umpa loompa now daddy! Now get me an umpa
loompa! It's a food place they open when they open. If your life is teetering on this opening then go get a therapist. We will give it a try this weekend. From my view all the whiners do as you threatened and stay home . I do not want to hear yor whining from the table next to mine.

I also don't get why it was called a soft opening if it wasn't an opening of any sort, more like a private party as was mentioned above, but I don't see why the people who attended should be hush hush. They had nothing but good things to say, and I'm sure that that's what the owners were hoping for...

Feb '13

Thank you jdem. Let the whiners follow through with their "threats" to stay home. More food and drink for me.

Wait!!!! There's gonna be Umpa Loompas There? I am so going to this place!!!!!

Painkiller
Feb '13

Looking forward to checking the place out. And, I am very glad that I don't have to worry about running into Panther Lady there.

Texaskeystone Texaskeystone
Feb '13

@Bonv..I love the picture of your dead horse..I have one on my desk but it's not as nice as yours..I'll have to google image it and see if I can find the one you use.

Bessie Bessie
Feb '13

Has anyone gone for lunch?

Bessie Bessie
Feb '13

Not open till 3 how can you go for lunch yet !!

Oops, sorry, didn't realize it opened at 3:00.

Bessie Bessie
Feb '13

Maybe they opened softly at noon (-;

ianimal ianimal
Feb '13

Don't tell Panther Lady!

John C John C
Feb '13

If I ever hear "soft opening" again in my life it will be too soon.

Natalie Natalie
Feb '13

My husband and I went there last night thinking it had opened on Monday (didnt check post before we went). They welcomed us in even though it was not "officially" open. The place is beautiful, the work that they did inside is amazing! The food was delicious (you have to try the bread pudding). Also a big thank you to Mark and Dempsey who was our waiter. I want to wish them all the success for their fine establishment that we now have here in Hackettstown. Everyone should go there because you definately will be back, as we will.

happygirl
Feb '13

Having a good time at Bea McNallys. Good food.

Jonelle Jonelle
Feb '13

Will they have full bands or just single musicians? This town needs a place to dance~!

I hear the bands will be playing soft rock...

ianimal ianimal
Feb '13

Thanks, an open mic night would be cool also.

I hope they have soft-serve ice cream for dessert...

clancy clancy
Feb '13

+1 on the open mic night.

Feb '13

We are there right now so far, so good!! This place is packed!!!

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Feb '13

FYI...the corned beef and cabbage (I believe) regularly comes with red potatoes (or is it "potato's"? :) At any rate, the waitress came back to my table on Monday evening and told me that "sinse the red potato's were so good, they ran out and would it be alright to substitute mashed potato's?" The mashed potato's were great and had some cut up chives on the top. I'm sure that you would have your choice of potato's. "shrug"..who knows.

as an afterthought...i heard on wrnj this afternoon that there is a new grill opened up tonight in washington on 31 s. where Stewarts used to be. It specializes in Japanese/American cuisine. I don't know if anyone mentioned this as I didn't want to read all of the back comments.

Feb '13

ianimal, just to let you know, I got your last joke. There is never a horse too dead for my humor. :-)

Aquarius Aquarius
Feb '13

Same here Ianimal, you're a funny guy!

Bessie Bessie
Feb '13

We are here... The Guiness is delicious!

JessMphone JessMphone
Feb '13

LOL.........I went by after my meeting and the parking was packed even on Washington St. I am going to wait til things calm down to go.

Christine Christine
Feb '13

Thanks for posting Just the facts ma'am . I was wondering when that new place was opening up on rt 31. I will try to stop by and then post a review.

mansfield mama mansfield mama
Feb '13

The new place on Rt 31 is called Gallagher's Grill - I wish them much success too!

Here is the website: http://www.gallaghersgrill.org/

Can't believe that photo of the inside is actually the old Stewart's!

Jules Jules
Feb '13

They are going to have live music Friday, Saturday and Sundays. On Sunday, the music will be in the afternoon. From what I gather it's bands. My husband's band is already booked to play there on Saint Patrick's Day afternoon. Prepare to rock!

Had my first meal, with my family this evening. The building is nice, service was decent. not over the top. Food was ok. this is more a big place, just like any chain restaurant. I enjoy smaller good bars and restaurants.

such as BlackStones up on 46
Food is excellent
Beer is awesome, drafts on drafts
specials are always on point

check the place out, you wont be disappointed

TOWNINFORMER TOWNINFORMER
Feb '13

I enjoyed it very much.. nice bartenders. great atmosphere.. I didn't eat anything but the food looked yummy!

darlughh darlughh
Feb '13

We got there around 6pm, there was about 15 minute wait but no big deal. The entrance of the building is no longer the front, it is actually the side door to the right of the building. They had to put us at at a high top table, which was fine even with 4 year old twins and a 3 year old. My husband had ribs and I had burger. Both very good. Two of my kids had mac&cheese and the other ordered a salad off the regular menu. Yes, my 4 year old prefers salad over most things kids love. Only problem was the bus boy came over to start clearing our table and told him what he could take. Well, he took my sons salad when I was looking the other way. Full blown melt down "Mommy why did that strange take my salad?" while he was crying.Arlene went back and got him a new salad.

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Feb '13

I see on the EMS site that 2 people were "bleeding" at Bea McNally's at 1:16 this morning. Fistfight? If so, sigh.....

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '13

That doesn't sound goood.

Firefly Firefly
Feb '13

This town is getting really low class. Can't have a grand opening without incident. Geez... I liked the cottage and Cavanaugh's. Where you got a bar pizza and a beer,

pampur pampur
Feb '13

I guess the bleeding was from a Hard Opening??????

choppychopsmom choppychopsmom
Feb '13

There will also be a DJ there on Wed. and Thurs. nights as well.

maxdout2596 maxdout2596
Feb '13

Oh, I don't know... as long as the combatants names were Sean Thornton and Squire Will Danagher, everything should be ok in the end. (-;

ianimal ianimal
Feb '13

Went last night. Psyched to have 40 beers on tap only a few miles from home (calling Calico...)

Only had sliders, but they were great. My only hope is the place doesn't get SO popular in this over-opulated area that you ALWAYS have to wait for a seat a dinnertime, like Applebee's has become.

I also hope they have some live music, that little corral in the bar area would work.

Feb '13

Um.... It might have been a kitchen injury.... Happens a lot more than you would think.

trekster3 trekster3
Feb '13

trekster - I think the kitchen would most likely be closed by 1:16 am and just the bar still open. Plus two people bleeding from one kitchen accident?

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '13

JR - Not to worry, we will be checking it out soon.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '13

Calico,

It was a REALLY big knife ;)

Feb '13

oh yeah.... goofballs!

trekster3 trekster3
Feb '13

Man this town has become pure white trash. It's like Sussex County has bled into Warren. Unreal.

Bea's was fun. I'll go back. This blue collar town shouldn't complain about anything. Be thankful something is actually open.

Fixer
Feb '13

what happened last night? heard it was a dispute. am i always the last to know?

mackisbackintown
Feb '13

Pampur, or Pam, there were plenty of fights at Cavanaugh's back in the day. It's just there was no internet and forums like this for people to post everything that goes on in the world like there is today.

Bronco
Feb '13

"It's like Sussex County has bled into Warren. "

As someone who grew up in central-East Jersey, I find this comment completely ironic. I didn't realize there was a major difference between the two.

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '13

That's because you, being an outsider, thought that both counties were equally hick. You have to be from Warren County to realize that Sussex is MUCH more hick-ish (-;

ianimal ianimal
Feb '13

"Man this town has become pure white trash. It's like Sussex County has bled into Warren. Unreal."

Superior much?

Feb '13

ian, So true! Lived in Warren most of my life and have worked in Sussex for just over 3 years now. It was an eye opener, LOL

Feb '13

I've lived in both and find Warren to be much trashier. My findings are solely based on the respective county fairs.

That just proves the point, MB... the bigger the hick, the better the fair. The Sussex County Dog and Pony show is far superior to the crappy excuse for a fair held in Harmony Township every year. If you want a REALLy good fair, head to Texas or Oklahoma, there are even bigger hicks out that way.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '13

Wow, I just laugh when I see some of these posts - pathetic! Why can't people just be happy that a vacant restaurant is now filled. As with all new openings, there is going to be some rough spots - give them time! I for one and extremely happy a new restaurant is here!

As far as the "white trash" comments - just wow!

Like my mother always taught me - if you don't have anything nice to say - don't say anything at all.

Ianimal - great movie reference!

wow this thread is comical!

but in all honesty - best of luck to the owners! I am excited to try the restaurant out!

Can we KEEP the thread on BEA's and nothing else ?

Ijustdontgetthisall
Feb '13

Why?

Your right the Sussex County Fair is far superior than Warren Cty. Especially the horse show. Very professionally run and nice size classes and money awards. And no Pokey's Place. What ever that is.

pampur pampur
Feb '13

Just to prove how dumb Sussex County is...

East Saxony (Essex) is located essentially in the eastern-most part of the State. Middle Saxony (Middlesex) is located pretty much in the middle of the State. What did the geniuses in the NORTHERN-most county of the State decide to name themselves? That's right, SOUTH Saxony...

By all rights, they should be named "Nosex" and given the gene pool up there, it's pretty good advice, as well (-;

ianimal ianimal
Feb '13

Just to be clear - my "why" post was in response to Ijustdontgetthisall's post that "we KEEP the thread on BEA's and nothing else".

Because why should people have to read through nonsense that has ZERO to do with the thread topic to get to info? That's why oh holy HL ruler BLD.

Ijustdontgetthisall
Feb '13

The thread topic was "Bea McNally's opening soon". Now that they've opened, the thread topic is out of date. Feel free to start a new one called "Bea McNally's now open". Otherwise, deal with the "nonsense".

ianimal ianimal
Feb '13

Ijustdontgetthisall,

Do all the conversations you have in person stay 100% on topic at all times?

Drove by last night around 9:30pm and the parking lot was still full. Can't wait to have dinner there!

Changing the subject to Gallagher's Grill in Washington~ according to the article in NJ.com, they also serve Tapas and pita sandwiches and osso bucco. Interesting!

Baci's mom Baci's mom
Feb '13

Dang it - I hate it when I miss my own coronation.

The police blurb will read as the following:

Salvator "The Shamrock" Rodriguez stabbed Guadaloupe "The Pot 'o Gold" Suarez after a fight ignited over corned beef and cabbage, who would have the last of the potatoes. In return Suarez stabbed Rodriguez after he realized Rodriguez drank all of his whiskey dick.

youngnfresh youngnfresh
Feb '13

Had dinner there last night with a few buds. While the atmosphere was nice and very decorative. The service was pretty good but we felt as if the food was quite lacking. I had the Bangers & Mash and the sausage was decent but could have used more gravy and the mashed potatoes were very clumpy. Found many quarter sized chunks of unmashed potatoes. The lollipop wings were pretty good with a nice crispy skin but there wasn't much flavor. Another friend had the Chicken and Mushroom Pot Pie and that seemed to be the best dish that we all had that night. Oh but the Bread pudding was fantastic!

Hoping it was just the opening day jitters and the food will become more consistent as time goes on. Will definitely give this place another try but if there is no improvement to us then we won't be visiting many times after. The decent/sub par food won't be worth the price when there are better options around in town for the same or less price.

Food Fan
Feb '13

To the management:

I know a lot of jokes were made here about the requests for special items, but could you please... pretty please... just have a veggie burger on the menu? You can buy a bag of frozen ones right at shoprite and keep them in the freezer (I recommend Gardein brand, they cook up the best on a grill top) for us veggie folks. Cheap, easy, and we'd all be so happy. :)

Can't wait to try your establishment, best of luck in Hackettstown!

Sandy Sandy
Feb '13

Food Fan, what other options in town???

Fixer
Feb '13

Really, Sandy? If you went to a restaurant and ordered a veggie burger for $9.75, you'd be happy if it was a frozen patty from Shoprite? I don't know that you speak for all vegetarians on that one...

ianimal ianimal
Feb '13

ianimal - I don't want to speak for Sandy, but maybe she wants to go with her husband or others and needs something on the menu she can eat. Group outings for food can be tough for vegetarians.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '13

I thought i saw a turkey burger on the menu, no? Or do they have it on the website and not actually in the restuarant yet? Hopefully be making it there soon!

Turkey Burger $8.00
6oz grilled, romaine lettuce, cranberry aioli on a brioche roll. (Sly Fox)

longtimelurker
Feb '13

Turkey is still meat. A veggie burger would satisfy a true vegetarian.

Natalie Natalie
Feb '13

Not nearly as tough as vegetarian restaurants are on carnivores, lol. Could you please just put one meat dish on there? A nice bloody rack of lamb, some tender baby veal, something? That would go over well, i'm sure, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '13

longtimelurker, turkey's not a vegetable (-;

ianimal ianimal
Feb '13

longtimelurker,

Turkey is meat.... VEGEtarians do not eat meat, therefore they do not eat turkey

Feb '13

i thought we were the 'hill people' ?

wasn't that on a map somewhere?

so are we saying that sussex county folks are below 'hill people' status?

can they even be allowed to come to town to eat at the new Pub?

what was that web site again?

and are there any open mic nights scheduled?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Feb '13

BD - Here's a link with the map.

http://www.grayflannelsuit.net/blog/this-is-the-most-accurate-and-funny-map-of-new-jersey-ever

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '13

The "hills" have eyes.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Feb '13

A well known fact is the IQ of Mansfield school went up a couple dozen pts. after the developments were built. This allowed Essex and Union county people to move in.

smith
Feb '13

sorry, just realized my mistake, its been a long day, and let me tell you, the snarky comments are really helping, thanks!

longtimelurker
Feb '13

thanks Calico,

so let me get this straight,

the new Irish Pub is opening in the hill country, (aka. Highlands? (as in 'Scottish Highlands'?))

are we starting WWIII?? seems kinda risky to me

oh well, as long as i don't get snubbed at the next 'almost but not quite opening ', opening.

i'll get me kilt out for the occasion, with purse. no, no boxers , goin' commando (what ever that means)

can Vikings go? (just askin')

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Feb '13

most vegetarians dont eat veggie burgers at a place that serves real burgers as they are all cooked on the same grill with the same tools. There is nothing vegetarian about a veggie burger cooked on shared equipment....

sack
Feb '13

When has a self-respecting Viking EVER asked for permission to go somewhere? Berserker, bro... berserker.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '13

You guys really just did a fantastic job in derailing this thread. Well done.

theHHSinformant theHHSinformant
Feb '13

I love your police blurb youngnfresh. It was probably the bus boys who, like mommy said, kept taking the plates away while others were still eating. They also spoke broken English so maybe a communication gap. Same thing happened to my party last night.

Food and beer were delicious. .

neighborhood watcher
Feb '13

I was at Bea's last night and was quite impressed. The decor was quite nice and seemed quite well planned out. I loved the selection of beers on tap as well as the specialty drinks. I felt bad for the bartenders as it seems most of the specialty drinks need muddling and their arms were sore.. but the Irishman drink was quite good.

The service was good but my waiter was too attentive. He would ask if we needed any thing, we would say no, he would just stand there until I said no really we don't need anything then turn away sheepishly and stare over from the bar area...lol.

I had the Tuna Nachos.... ok but wierd. Had fried wonton like chips which were kinda oily. The raw tuna was all in one clump at one side of the dish. we ate the cheese and tuna topped chips and left the rest.
Friends had the App platter. they said it was cold and a bit greasy.

I will go back on friday and try the Irish fare and hope some of the food kinks were just opening jitters or my bad luck.

Anyhow, so happy to have this option in town and I am sure I will be there frequently... especially with 40? beers on tap...lol.

Yum Pretzels Yum Pretzels
Feb '13

Just came back from there, the food was great, they did an amazing job with the interior. Service was outstanding, and the prices very reasonable. Nice size portions, I actually came back with left overs which is a rarity for me!

Denis Denis
Feb '13

I remember when Charllie Brown's opened. It had hour long waits. 6 months later, no one was there because of the mediocre food and the poor service. It's important to do it right from the beginning to cultivate repeat business. When the newness wears off, the restaurant wants all the people who tried it once to come back because they were impressed the first time. Good for you Bea McNally's to get it right the first time. Wishing you a longevity that your predecessor did not enjoy.

observer2 observer2
Feb '13

The first Charlie Brown's opened almost 50 years ago. I'm thinking Bea McNally's will settle for that kind of longevity. Especially if they wind up with 20+ locations in three states...

ianimal ianimal
Feb '13

Ianimal. Great success story. They went out of business.

observer2 observer2
Feb '13

I had the Fresh Shark Fritter special.... Deep fried baby shark under belly in a imported beer batter.. Golden brown and delicious... And a side of veggies and Jack Daniels Fries.

I wish them much success. My aunt's husband and brother used to own the Clarendon when it was a hotel and I remember many good times there. I visited it last in 2011 and was disappointed that it was not as I remembered it.

Carol Carol
Feb '13

Had dinner tonight. Kept it simple. Guinness, wings and a burger. Guinness was good. Wings were raw. Burger was way undercooked. I'll come back in a month and see if they've worked out the opening jitters.

taxedtodeath taxedtodeath
Feb '13

Last I checked, they still had 19 restaurants in 3 states. They had to sell some of them off including the ones in Htown and Alpha due to financial mismanagement, but they haven't gone out of business by any stretch.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '13

Observer, what made you think they went out of business, other than that the Hackettsown location closed. It looks like Charlie Browns is alive an well, just not here. Not sure if any others have closed since the Wikipedia article was written. I'm sure someone here will be happy to research it and let me know if I'm wrong.
(From Wikipedia) The restaurant filed for bankruptcy in November 2010, as part of a restructuring that included the closing of 47 restaurants. In 2011, a New York private-equity company agreed to pay $9.5 million to buy Charlie Brown's Steakhouse. CB Restaurants Inc. is in line to take over 20 Charlie Brown’s restaurants, including 17 locations in New Jersey.

http://www.charliebrowns.com

Bessie Bessie
Feb '13

Charlie Brown's is still open in Denville on Rte 46. :)

Be Nice Be Nice
Feb '13

Food will work itself out in time. I am not worried about that in an Irish Pub. Do they pour a good Guinness and a shot of Jamesons is all I worry about for the first 60 days.From there it will take care of itself.

Cheers & God Bless

Steve-0

Steve-0 Steve-0
Feb '13

Last night my friend and I went there. We had such a great time! The Bea Platter was amazing!!!! The staff are very pleasant. The bar was packed. We ran into two male friends of ours and they gave us their seats. We would have had to stand because it was so packed. So happy for the owners. They will have a wonderful place there :) I wish them the best of luck.

catlover2 catlover2
Mar '13

There right now. Beer sampler and Beas Platter. So far so good.

Beer SAMPLER?!?!?!?!?!? I didn't see that!!!

CALICOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mar '13

Beer sampler? I'm listening.........

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '13

Hey... nice avatar... very "seasonal" :)

Mar '13

Four 5oz beers. your choice of all the draught beers. I went with the McNally's, Victory Hop Devil , Batch 19, and Dogfish 60 Minute. McNally's was quite good, and darker than I would have imagined. I have never had Batch 19, but it was alright. The other two are in my regular rotation.

As for the platter, the chicken fingers were the best I've had in a long time. I had the wasabi calamari, which is more like buffalo calamari with wasabi drizzle, but really good. I had the blue cheese fries which were delicious. The lucky bags were good, but definitely 4th place compared to the rest of the plate. It must be noted that I would get them on their own without question.

I have visited a lot of places, in and out of Hackettstown, but I have to say that I felt an odd sense of pride when I was sitting at the bar today. It was a similar feeling to telling my friends in college that I grew up where M&Ms are made.

And no, I did not have a burger. Our website is basically done. With only two guys rating burgers, we were killing ourselves, with little return.

Thanks JR. I roll it out every year for the month of March. :)

CR - Sounds awesome. Just curious....how much do they charge for the sampler?

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '13

Beer sampler is $6 for essentially 20oz of beer.

Sounds like a good deal. Thanks.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '13

look at the line for the dinner crowd today. all the way down Grand Avenue dont forget the side streets.

SNOWMAN!
Mar '13

I hope your kidding! lol

calmcoolcollective calmcoolcollective
Mar '13

Traffic was carzy. I could not believe it. It went all way down past Beatty St as you could see. And the cars tring to speed across to get over to Valentine St. There were a few near misses. Good thing there isn't a light like Centenary wants.

People couldn't get in or out of that place. I wish the picture of the parking lot didn't come out blurry or I would post that too.

SNOWMAN!
Mar '13

My daughter and I went over for a bite to eat tonight. We waited for maybe 5 mins for a table at 5:30pm. We both got the fish and chips with malt vinegar. MMmmmm very good. Nicole our waitress was excellent. I even had to beers (Rolling Rock, Calico would be so proud). The bar was noisy as almost all are. The place was gorgeous and well layed out. Were out by 6:45 and she had to babysit or I would have had a few more.

Totally recommend.

Christine Christine
Mar '13

Just drove past and both parking lots along with the one thats off of Moore st are packed. Supposed to go there at 9 with friends

We went last night and while we did experience some service "glitches" it was beautiful and the food was excellent. I definitely think they'll hit their stride and be a fixture in Hackettstown. Congrats and best of luck Bea McNally's! Looking forward to going back!!

2Cents 2Cents
Mar '13

Went today around 3:30.

They said they were not serving food until 4pm because last night was so busy they ran out of food and time to prepare.

French Onion Soup- Wasn't bad but too much red wine.

Fish N Chips- luke warm at best. Batter was good and had lots of fish meat. Didn't seem fresh out of the kitchen as the fries were all soggy.

Beef Stew- great taste and the mash potatos were pretty good. The meat was all fat though.

First visit wasn't the greatest but I'll come back later to check out their burgers.

htownfood htownfood
Mar '13

Dh and I went last night again without kids. We got there at around 9:30, we ordered by 10pm (since there was a little wait for table but no big deal). At around 10:30 they came out and told us that they ran out of the beef short ribs that DH ordered. Gave him a menu had him order something else but when almost an hour went by and nothing came back out we asked them to cancel our order because that point we just wanted to go home. First week open they are going to have issues so we weren't upset. The manager came over though and took care of us. Our waitress last night was great though and so was our waiter the other night!

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Mar '13

We were there about 10:30 PM last nite. The bar was 2 to 3 deep; the surrounding rooms were jammed; the joint was jumping! They had run out of entre type food and most appetizers. We had a drink and fried mozzarella sticks -Delicious!!! We'll be back often. Service was great. Ambiance A+!!!!

We went tonight at 5 . Service was slow but the place looked good. Food was good . Like others the fish and chips quality is good but need to speed up service to insure heat . Seems they have good recipes and food quality with great atmosphere so when they get service down they will be good to go.

Congratulations to Bea McNally's and I wish the owners the best of luck. The decor looks great, the wait staff are incredibly capable and could serve in many of the 4 or 5 star restaurants that I've been to. I will most definitely return and will ( I hope) enjoy their food. It was, however, the first restaurant that I walked out on.

I was told that they did not take reservations. No big deal. I figured that I would need to wait for an hour or more on a Saturday night and was comfortable with that. Sure enough, when we arrived at 5:30, we were told that the wait would be 1 hour and 10 minutes. A few Smithwicks from the bar and conversation with our friends made the 90 minute wait bearable. We sat at 7 (no big deal). Our waiter took our drink, appetizer and dinner orders as we had examined the menu while waiting. A hour later, our appetizers arrived. (They were great) Periodic updates from our waiter and profuse apologies followed. (we really felt sorry for the guy). Finally at 9PM, we were informed that the kitchen was "backed up" and he really couldn't predict when our meal would arrive. We all found that a bit surprising because the food choices were not particularly complicated.

We paid the bill, left a generous tip for the waiter and left at 9:30 Our friends went to Mattars, we went home and had leftovers.

We'll be back next month when things will hopefully improve.

I think that the kitchen staff was overwhelmed by the volume of business as there is obviously pent up demand for a good restaurant in HTown. The management may wish to consider reserrvations for a while so that they can control the flow of orders/business. Some people may be turned away or go elsewhere but at least they will not be wasting that "one chance to make a first impression."

I'll be back...others may not be so understanding. If you go during the next few weeks be prepared for excellent service by the staff but potentially long waits for your meal. All and all, I think that Bea McNally's will be a wonderful addition to a town that really needed a great restaurant.

Dr Bob Dr Bob
Mar '13

Be prepared for excellent service by the staff while potentially long waits for your food. What kind of excellent service are you getting while waiting that long for your food, timely refills of your beverage of choice? Hopefully the owners take a deep breath and assess the situation from the opening week and make the necessary adjustments. I wish them well.

kb2755 kb2755
Mar '13

well today our wait wasn't long at all. The food came out withen 15min. Again the fish and chips were warmish and the beef was awful in the stew.

Service was amazing and our waitress was awesome though.

The restaurant looks amazing but the food is okay. What I love are restaurants that look so so but take their time with their food and they create something you can't get anywhere else.

I'll try again in the next couple months.

htownfood htownfood
Mar '13

I hear Marleys has been packed lately with alot of Bea McNallys customers not wanting to wait. Its good that people are staying in town still.

Bea McNallys will work out the Kinks and do fine. I give them a month they will calm down and get with the groove.

Christine Christine
Mar '13

Hopefully all of the first-weekers gave this feedback directly to the wait staff when they asked, "how is everything?"

My wife and I went to Pandan Room the first day they opened, and it was terrible. SO much so that we didn't go back for three years; coincidently, it was on their three year anniversary. Since then, it has been one of our favorite places to go.

We wt to Bea's and while not perfect, their opening was much better. I had the stew that so many people have referred to and thought it was delicious. It could have been hotter and the potatoes left a lot to be desired, but I enjoyed it.

Lesson learned, don't judge a place on their opening.

Nicholas Nicholas
Mar '13

Well said Nicholas. We thought Pandan Room was bad when it first opened too. It's easily our favorite place in town now.

I'm anxious to try the wings at Beas but will wait till things calm down first. I do find some of the comments regarding "fantastic" service despite long waits and mediocre food quality strange. I went to Santinos the first weekend they were open. Service was chaotic but at least the food was good. I sure wouldn't consider 3 hour wait times to be good service unless I was getting free drinks.

Emaxxman Emaxxman
Mar '13

I would not say out experience was bad at all. It's the first week, of course there will be issues. We knew this going in there.

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Mar '13

Emaxxman - I have worked in the industry over the years what you need to remember about service is this: Your server only has control over taking your order and making sure it's placed in a timely manner and that all of your other needs are met by checking back with you ( without being over bearing). The bartender is pouring your drinks and the kitchen is making your food. If either of those places are backed up you won't get your food or drink in a timely manner. Most times it is not the server who is screwing up your order and making you wait and yet they are the ones that are penalized when it comes time to being tipped.
Having said all that it seems that the people here that are speaking of good service meant that their servers were doing everything in their power to keep their tables happy. Trust me - this can be very challenging with some people and it's very difficult to keep apologising for something you have no control over.

Firefly Firefly
Mar '13

FF - I put myself through college working in restaurants (from dishwasher to fry cook to line cook.) I'm well aware. I just find comments like "we waited 3 hours, never got our food, but service was great and we'll definitely be back" to be odd. To be fair, in the Santino's thread, I did state that our waitress did a great job considering the chaos but the difference is I actually got food and it only took 45 minutes.

I hope Bea's succeeds (as the empty building alternative is a crappy one) and I am anxious to try them out.

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '13

"Service" goes way beyond your personal interaction with the waitstaff, IMO. The dining experience consists of service, quality of food and drink, and ambience. The speed at which you get your food and drinks falls under "service" even though bad service in that regard isn't necessarily the server's fault.

Although, if food is being served lukewarm, it might be. Then again, it might be that the kitchen isn't properly pushing the tickets out at the same time and they don't want to serve tables piecemeal, so certain dishes sit around while waiting for others to be prepared.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '13

I went opening night. While service was slow, that was not unexpected. the first few weeks of a new restaurant are a shake down. Getting the kitchen staff up to speed and the timing with the servers synced is like any new business. Getting the product production stream smoothed out takes a little time. The food we have was VERY good. One of our table of 6 got their meal late. A kitchen error. On opening night the computer were down, so orders were hand written, as well as bills and credit cards processing. SO... the drinks I paid for at the bar have made it to my credit card, but the meal has not. I'm sure it will with time. I am definitely going back. Currently they do not have their full menu. We ere told that the Entrees section of the menu ( online not in the menu we were handed ) would be available in 2 weeks. I was a 3 hours experience including a 45 min wait to get a table. As they tighten up their staff, dining will be more enjoyable. I bet the bar will be packed every night with the variety of beers and a cider on tap (I hope they branch on the ciders even if its in bottles). Over all I would give them a B+ and expect that by this time next week they will be an A moving to an A+ by St. Patrick's Day.

NJMoleman NJMoleman
Mar '13

Decided to bring my family there today for lunch. We went at 2 pm with hopes to avoid the night crowd, because my dad uses a walker. What a disappointment, the place was closed. There was a note on the door that said opening at 4 pm. There website said 11 am.

danicagrl danicagrl
Mar '13

Here for the Irish music. Great place!

Can someone with restaurant insight enlighten me as to why restaurants feel they are too good to accept reservations? Is it the Chili's/Applebees mentality....make people think it's so good that people will wait for it? I find that infuriating.

I really wish this place success. I certainly hope they fare better than Santino's did. With that said, I'll wait until all the craziness dies down before giving it a try. Absolutely no interest in dining there right now.

Tracy Tracy
Mar '13

People make reservations and then show up late or not at all. Im curious about their music entertainment during the week. Can anyone fill us in? When does all of this start? I went for sliders and a sam adams before bingo on thursday night. 3 sliders with a neat little basket of fries for $8. The sauce for the sliders was delish. It was a mustard teriyaki honey tasting thing. Very good. Cant wait to try the fish & chips.

Mar '13

We had a reservation Saturday night and were seated right on te

I was told that they would only reserve if it was a party of 8 or more. Really feel if this current policy is changed it might solve a lot of the current problems. Accept reservations no matter how many in the party and when people do call to reserve get a phone number, etc. as the Pump House, Black Forest, etc. do. They have a big enough bar area for people that might be waiting for a table if all others are currently taken. I think the response to this place opening has been so great and unexpected that it will take a while to get everything in place but in the long run will be well worth the effort.

joyful joyful
Mar '13

I don't blame them for not taking reservations.....many times people do show and they don't make money on empty seats. It also slows down the turnover which then slows down the flow of $$.

Nosila Nosila
Mar '13

My friends got there last night at 630 and left at 1030, having never received their meals. Seems like Beas opened before they were quite ready. I really hope they can turn it around.

Gadfly Gadfly
Mar '13

This forum is crazzzzy! Guess everyone always has to be brutally honest. So happy the vacant space is not filled with yet another wire transfer place. It is beautiful inside - a wonderful job. What a nice place it will be for celebrations-college, high school, middle school, etc. etc.

mammadone mammadone
Mar '13

Feedback is a gift and aside from a crazy demand regarding invites to a soft opening, everyone is really pulling for the place.

Emaxxman Emaxxman
Mar '13

I went to an Irish Pub in Orlando named Raglan Road. Not only did they have their own "house band", they also had their own dance troupe that did Irish folk dancing at the top of every hour. Obviously, Hackettsburg ain't Orlando, but it would be cool (and definitely a draw) if Bea's could work the expense of each into their overhead, at least on weekends.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '13

Well the Irish band they had today was top notch! Everyone seemed to be having a great time. Sat at the bar and did the beer samplers, had the money bags app ( delish) and tuna nachos ( delish). Service was outstanding in that area with servers going around offering samples of different foods. The Black and Tan Onion rings are great! Love it. All of it. Beautiful job on the renovations.

Firefly Firefly
Mar '13

I have yet to go to Bea's. I am really looking forward to it but I will wait a couple weeks. I don't know to much about the owners history with opening restaurants but it has to be a difficult task to open a place that seats I believe 200 people. I wouldn't even know where to start on ordering that much food for an opening of a restaurant that seats that many people, and I am in the culinary industry. For all those people giving Bea's a hard time please cut them some slack. They are trying to do a good thing and you have to get through the bad to get to the good.

englishe30 englishe30
Mar '13

I went their last night at 10:30. The placed was packed with a mixed crowd. The band was good, the bartenders were on top of things, everyone had a great time.

Denis Denis
Mar '13

I don't understand why taking reservations is so problematic. I understand people will be late or no-shows, but how long is the restaurant required to hold your reservation? Fifteen minutes and you lose your spot. Sorry. Wait in line for the next available if you can't be bothered to keep a reservation.

Tracy Tracy
Mar '13

Yes, we should cut the place some slack, but people should know what to expect when they go there. I really don't think that sharing legitimate experiences equates to "giving them a hard time".

With regard to reservations, if the place can't feed people within four hours of ordering, I don't think it would be wise to take reservations. I'm sure they'll get their act together and maybe then they will do the reservation thing.

Gadfly Gadfly
Mar '13

Went there for a quick beer yesterday, the place was hoppin'! Definitely looking forward to going back when it's not busy, potentially after St. Patrick's Day and really trying it out with the food and all. Wishing Bea McNally's all the success they can get and think this is a great addition to Hackettstown. May it eventually become the best Irish spot in all of NJ.

RyanOMac RyanOMac
Mar '13

Tons of twentysomethings there, as well as older than twentysomething folks.

Trouble during a start up is expected. Its a shame to see so many people writing the place off. It can be frustrating as a customer, but in time this place will be a hot spot. Maybe not for its dining but the bar will draw in business. Its to nice of a place not too. Cheers my fellow Hackettstown peeps!!

John Gettysmith John Gettysmith
Mar '13

sorry but i'm not buying that someone could be there for 4hours and not get served food.

darwin darwin
Mar '13

I went Saturday night with the family and it was wonderful. Our meals were delicious and the service was excellent. There were a few bumps but really nothing worth mentioning. As for reservations, the place is huge inside. Once the hype settles down, I don't think reservations will be necessary.

I love this place and am looking to go back on a date night with hubby.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Mar '13

Love the food but am questioning this one. I stopped by the other evening for a cup of tea and dessert. The very nice staff who came over to chat highly recommended the banana cream pie with the wonderful crust. Ok. I would take their word on that one. When it came it was a deep chocolate crust with a chocolate cream pie with 3 pieces of sliced bananas on top and a creme fresche type of deal. Has anyone else ordered the banana cream pie and what did you get? Maybe someone can come up with a recipe for banana cream pie for them.

Mar '13

Definitely not what I would be expecting if I ordered BCP. It should have a vanilla pudding/custard base, not chocolate.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '13

Was it on the menu as Banana Cream Pie, justthefacts maam....or was it listed as chocolate pie with bananas? Waitress might have just made a honest mistake in exactly what you wanted if it was not listed on the menu as banana cream pie. Maybe should have called it to her attention when you first noticed that you were given the wrong dessert?

joyful joyful
Mar '13

4 hour wait to get food? If thats true, then its not a place I'd like to go to. Thats crazy.
I hate waiting 1 hr to get seated at places. To me, no place is that great to wait that long. JMO ;)-

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Mar '13

On the menu, the banana creme pie is as you described - heavy on the chocolate.

Its listed as Chocolate banana cream pie. It was good IMO. You can tell it was homemade. The crust was delish.

Christine Christine
Mar '13

Here's how it's described on the online menu:

Chocolate & Banana Cream Pie

$5.00 each

Chocolate wafer crumb crust, filled with banana, chocolate topped with fresh cream.

Sounds like your server misspoke and left out the "Chocolate &.." part...

ianimal ianimal
Mar '13

Christine, you answered my suspicions. I figured it must have been chocolate banana cream pie. Sounds yummy!

Mar '13

The discription posted by ianimal is incorrect. It was NOT filled with banana. Its had sliced banana on top. I only got it because I NEEDED the chocolate. LOL!

Christine Christine
Mar '13

If it's not filled with banana, then it's not a banana cream pie at all. It's a banana-topped chocolate cream pie. Maybe they were just short on bananas that day and in the future, the pies will be more as they described in the menu.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '13

Stopped by an Irish pub for a cup of tea and a piece of pie, never heard that one before

eapos eapos
Mar '13

Went for a 1pm lunch with grandma today. We were seated right away in the front room-is that the front? Across from Post office. It was a beautiful day, so the sun drenched the room and made it beautifully bright. There were only 3 or 4 other tables with folks at them. The chatter was incredibly loud! That room needs a rug.!!! We could barely hear each other, again with only about 10-12 people in the room!

The service was slllllooooooowwwww! The Smokin Pork was great, the Pastrami sandwich was ok. The bread pudding was too thick and gummy. The apple pie was good, but so flat and the pastry cover didn't stick to the rest of the pie. But they drown everything with heavy wonderful whip cream, so that helped.

And an answer to not making reservations is that so they can make money on the bar! But they are definitely suffering without them right now. They really need to make a better impression on people and create a foundation of customers. Good Luck to them. It's great that people are so excited about it!

ANeighbor
Mar '13

*Sigh*, yes, ianimal, I wouldn't mind paying it for a truly good veggie burger (which is what gardein is). Most that places offer their own house-made patty aren't very good, that brand is excellent, so I would be willing to pay to have it. It would be with the toppings they offer, presumably fries, etc. It would not be the same as eating it at home. Exactly how much do you think your beef patty costs a restaurant? Not even as much as you pay at the grocery store. Whats the difference here? Nothing, you just wanted to take an opportunity to poke fun at vegetarians. Please excuse me while I die of shock....

...Hmmm, still alive....

Anyway, other people were making suggestions, the owners seemed to read the thread, so I thought I would throw out an easy solution for them to make local vegetarians happy (and no, I am not the only one). This is a fun looking place that I would like to frequent with friends, but as the menu stands there are only side dishes that I would eat. If they don't want to change that, that's their prerogative, but I thought I would at least express the desire if they were here to find out what people thought.

Regardless I have a business lunch there on 3/12, so I guess I will let everyone know what I think of the side dishes, lol!

Sandy Sandy
Mar '13

there is only one western union on main street

what other wire transfer places are you talking about, mammadone?

Erik B. Anderson Erik B. Anderson
Mar '13

Me saying that kosher vegans don't put soy cheese on their veggie burgers was me poking fun at vegetarians.

My question to you regarding the store-bought veggie burgers was actually quite serious. If a mass-produced, store-bought frozen patty is better than what you can get at the restaurants you go to, go to different restaurants.

But feel free to *sigh* away, if it makes you feel better about it. If I didn't eat meat, I'd be a grumpy bear like you, too.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '13

Can't wait to try out the place. Maybe next weekend!

Nonna
Mar '13

Please see more recent thread:

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/512384

Apr '13

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.