Trying to recall Main Street circa 1960...

There was Bach's Rexall on the corner but there was a large Victorian buildind there as well. The building had a bakery and burned down leading to the expansion of Bach's. Anyone know Bakery name? There was also a small clothing store by Bach's and I think they sold baby clothes. Name? Helen's Playland was in the Western Auto building and Rudoff the rnr was strung across Main Streeyt at Christmas...Peoples National Bank and JJ Newberry. Dad and Lad and Lenoard's Youth Togs. The original Jigger Shoppe and the Cottage Lunch Counter. Plate Jewelers and The Strand Theater...Tony's Piazza and a Dairy Queen on the corner where Hess is now. Leeters was in the Flock building and A&P was in where Leeters for men was ( most recently Marty's.) Jack's scissor wiz and Hank Monetti Real Estate...of course Leo's and Rockaway Sales. Shop Rite was where Quick Chek is now...burned down. Kostenbakers (?) Liquor store and Kerr's Pharmacy. Reliable Furniture...burned down and Chick's barber Shop. Can anyone help fill in the blanks? I'm doing a painting of Main Street...Thanks

Dave T Dave T Message Dave T
Sep '12

The bakery was Farrell's.

deviljet
Sep '12

The Bakery was Farrells Village Bakery....The small clothing store was I believe the Genevieve shop. I worked for Leeters for a long, long time and then opened my own store/boutique down the street in the "80s. If you need any help with earlier town landmarks...my hubby was born and raised in this area so he would be happy to help you out.

joyful joyful Message joyful
Sep '12

The Genevieve Shop was next to Bach's drug store & the bakery....ladies' clothing.

T Cyphers T Cyphers Message T Cyphers
Sep '12

Kostenbader was the liquor store. Don't forget the Hardware store, between the Cottage and Strand. (Joyful, was it just called Hackettstown Hardware?) Mr. Novak owned it.

LVMomOfBoys LVMomOfBoys Message LVMomOfBoys
Sep '12

The whole Main St or just certain sections?. Harpers was Tony's shoe repair, there was another shoe repair up the street I don't remember the name. Moose lodge. Central House. Grange building, (across st), Teamers. Ort Real Estate and Kraft paint store. Mik and Heddys. These stores were between Center st up to Plane st. I can't remember if OSA was there or not.

whitey
Sep '12

dont forget knapps paper store and the strand

wasnt there was a youngs girls dress shop in there too, between bachs and farrells. next to geneveive, called the chicki shop , or something like that ?

nonny nonny Message nonny
Sep '12

Reliable Furniture across from Rockaway sales

LvMomof Boys..yes, it was always Hackettstown Hardware until Super Stuff rented it after it went out of business. Super Stuff was for a while next to my store and then they moved up the street when Hackettstown Hardware went out. Next to me next was a place called the Coffee Grinder selling Gourmet coffees...one of the first in the area.

Sep '12

Cavanaugh's was the bar next to The Cottage.
Jack & Jill's was the little convenience store at Moore St.
The Music Stand and The Potpourri store were between Church St & Moore St.
There was a Chinese restaurant on the corner at Church St.
Rockaway Sales and Kraft's Paint were at Plane St.

wayback wayback Message wayback
Sep '12

Don"t forget Mike and Bettys

Lynn
Sep '12

Please note today's classifieds on the Forum. You can buy a book put out by the historical society of Hackettstown and find out all about the Main St. of long ago. Contact Ray.. Be sure to find 205 Main St. .....that was me!!

Sep '12

The super market that was where Quick Chek is now, was Acme, not Shop Rite, correct?

When we moved to Htown in 1966 Mr. Thorp still had his paper goods store, a few doors down from Dad and Lad.....and I cant exactly remember the name of that either....Joyful?

Sep '12

te, not correct. It was Shop Rite. Some of the people on this forum worked there when they were teenagers.

whitey
Sep '12

Was it Thorp Stationery Store?

Sep '12

Re: Trying to recall Main Street circa 1960...

the Acme supermarket was located right near the railroad tracks...and the building was later Knechel Ford...dont forget that the Grand Union food market was once located in The Flock building

oldman oldman Message oldman
Sep '12

I think it was Thorp Stationary LVMomOfBoys.

Mike & Bettys? Are you sure you are not thinking of Mick & Hedys?

Knechel Ford was acme first

Shop Rite was in the area where Quik Chek is now and burned down in I believe 1985 or 86. LVMomofboys.....It was Thorps Stationary Store, owned and run by Tom Thorpe...I served on the local Board of health with his wife....he was very active in local and I think county politics as well....

Sep '12

Mike & Betty's preceded Mick & Hedy's. The original Mike & Betty's was on High St. just up from Main. Then they moved it down next to hackettstown Auto parts.

deviljet
Sep '12

There were two butcher shops too. Ruby's was located on the corner of Main and Church, where the hair salon is now. Tynan's Butchers I believe was located near the Strand.

deviljet
Sep '12

Plate jewlers was on corner of Main and Moore, where the vacuum cleaner place is now. Was such a cool store, with the big safe. Tynans was next to that, going up toward Bachs, and Knapps was in there somewhere. I think it was on the other side of the movie theatre. Always went in the back door of Knapps, came in by the small "soda fountain" counter. Would go in , look at the comic books and get an orange sherbet ice cream cone, and back out the back door. Farrels bakery had a big exhaust fan that blew out into the alley between there and the Trading Post, omg, the smell was soooo good, and the warm air felt good in the cooler months.

nonny nonny Message nonny
Sep '12

I remember there was Sears on Main St too, somewhere near the Strand. Maybe where Plates is now? Or was that only in the 70s? My Mom worked at the Strand when she was in High School in the 50s. My first job in High School was the Jigger Shoppe.

The Gulf gas station was across from Bach's and they gave out free Disney song record albums once.

What was between Jack and Jill and the methodist church? Wasn't there a dry cleaner?

hktownie hktownie Message hktownie
Sep '12

a guitar store was near jack and jill..cool looking Beatles type guitars were in the window

Bob R.
Sep '12

That was Lemasters cleaners, hktownie...

Sep '12

who remembers that Mr Plate had coins glued to the floor of his Jewelry store...

Sep '12

Oldman: Me!! Then Basil Peluso started the newer Plate Jewelry store across the street.

Sep '12

Om gosh, Basil. I haven't heard his name in years. He lived in Saxton Falls didn't he??

auntiel
Sep '12

my entire childhood was just summed up in one thread...nothing beat going Downtown!

gen3Townie gen3Townie Message gen3Townie
Sep '12

btw...the dry cleaners was Mardinelli's...and then Lemasters...or was it the other way around?

gen3Townie gen3Townie Message gen3Townie
Sep '12

Mardenly cleaners was out on Rockport Road....Lemasters was the last cleaning business at that address, Mrs. Lemasters was the sweetest lady in the world!! Basil Peluso (Plate Jewelers) lived in Panther Valley.

Sep '12

Sears was a catalog store, you used to either phone in your order or place it in person, and they would call you to tell you that the order was in..The.Sears I remember was right next to the Strand Theater . they later moved to the A&P plaza at the bottom of Hackettstown Mountain...and thats where they closed up shop...

Sep '12

The Music Maker was the Music Store near where the now Hess Station is.

Sep '12

Joyful, wasnt the owner of Thorp's Mr. Albert Thorp Sr, grandfather to Tom Thorp, local attorney? Mr. Thorp's sister was my neighbor growing up.

Sep '12

Owner of Thorp's was Milton Klock Thorp - father of Albert, grandfather of Thomas.

Yes, LVMom of Boys .. and Tom's father was the attorney for the town of Hackettstown for a long time.....I remember them all..OMG...I am old!!!

Sep '12

Leta's Beauty Salon owned by the Tomeo family?

Millie Millie Message Millie
Sep '12

Letas Beauty Salon was owned by Leta and Tommy Tomeo... friends of my family,,,also remember Lockards barbershop...next to Western Auto...on main street

Sep '12

Stewart Williams record store. A couple doors south of the old A&P.

Millie Millie Message Millie
Sep '12

Going uptown to the "Main Street" was always an adventure. The stores were thriving & everyone cleaned their own sidewalks (daily). When my family members went there they actually cleaned up, put on better clothes & went shopping.

When I fondly recall that the place was a wholesome family place & take a look at it now I get nauseated. I went up to get a pizza & observed a drug transaction take place across the street. Nice!!!

steve davis steve davis Message steve davis
Sep '12

I have heard that Centenary used to be a finishing school, and the girls would walk on Main St wearing their hats and gloves like proper young ladies. Maybe that was the 50s?

The thing is, we don't like the changes, but we've changed too. How many people shop on Main St these days? Most want to avoid the traffic and take advantage of the easy parking at the big chain stores instead.

I'd rather try to get what I need at HomeTown Hardware, for example, or eat at Stella Gs, than go elsewhere. ( I am not affiliated with either of these businesses, just a happy customer).

Sep '12

Centenary College was formerly an all girls school...named CCW...Centenary College For Women...the students would wear white blazers with the CCW logo on them when they were off campus.This was up until the late 60s and early 70s.Back in the 60s Hackettstown had a small town air about it. That has changed, I still shop at Home Town hardware.

Sep '12

C'mon gang - lets keep this thread upbeat - there are other threads already where we beat up the downtown.

Me personally - I thought a grilled cheese at the Newberry's lunch counter was something special.

Barnacle Bill
Sep '12

Originally Centenary Collegiate Institute (hence CCI on original smokestack recently painted over). Founded in 1867 by the Newark Methodist Synod to commerate centennial of Methodism in U.S. First students (coed) entered in 1874 after completion. Burned down 10/31/1899. Rebuilt by 1901. North and South dormatories on either side of Seay Building were Boys (North) and Girls (South) dorms. Coed until 1929, then all girls (CCW as above) and in recent decades again coed and now Centenary College.

I don't think anyone said it but across from Rockaway Sales was Best's Meat Market. I used to go behind the counter and sit on a stool while my mom completed her weekly order and get samples of the cheeses, etc. Mr. Rogers (yes, Mr Rogers) was the delivery man -- I think they got their meats from Pennsylvania. There was also Shutterbug Ed's up past Newberry's where you'd get your pictures developed.

The Cottage used to be open at night if The Strand was playing long pictures. Everyone would go over at intermission (like in The Sound of Music) and get ice cream. I always wanted to stop because in the old days (the '60s) The Cottage had all types of stuffed animals in the window that caught a kid's eye.

Sandy Julian Sandy Julian Message Sandy Julian
Jun '14

Strange but I am just trying to remember the 60's.

mistergoogle mistergoogle Message mistergoogle
Jun '14

Since this thread popped up again, Dave T, did you ever finish that Main St. painting? Can you post a pic?

Jun '14

Was there a store named "Rosie's" where you could buy jeans? And "Leo's" across from the Moose Club.

Tina #1 Tina #1 Message Tina #1
Jun '14

Yes, Tina #1...Rosies was on Main St. up somewhere between Moore and High St. and Leo's was the name of the restaurant across from the Moose Club that now has new ownership but I think still is called Leo's.

Jun '14

I'm sorry, that was 17 years before I was born (guess I just gave away my age), but the A&P used to be in Marty's shoes? I knew there was a really nice one where Kohl's is now, but I don't recall that ever.

Lngvly22 Lngvly22 Message Lngvly22
Jun '14

Thank you "joyful." At the time it was not located in the heart of Hackettstown, but who didn't go to the "Orange Pit" located in Mansfield Township.

Jun '14

The Orange Pit that I remember was where the Riverstar Restaurant is now. I don't think that is Mansfield Township.

Jun '14

There was a Tulsa gas station on north main st where Main st motors is now

Dadof3
Jun '14

joyful,
your probably right, not sure about where the lines cross into Mansfield or Morris County from Hackettstown. Even Mountain Ave. was route 57 or maybe on a map it still is.

Jun '14

Ok – my earliest recollection of Main Street North to South:

Louie Curl
Harold Stephens
Dr Lasser
Texaco
Shop Rite
Bergen Tool
Hackettstown Coal & Lumber
Tickner’s
American Gas Station
Acme
Atlantic Richfield Gas Station
Some Insurance Company
Class & Hurley’s
Foster & Lee
Letas
Cohens
Kostenbaders
Bowers, Schumann & Welch
Thorpes Stationary
Shutterbug Eds
Newberrys
Peoples National Bank
Gulf
Bachs
Farrells
Genivieve
Chickie
Western Auto
Lockhards
Leeters
Monettis
County Trading Post
Tomainos
Nerbaks
First National
Cavanaughs
Cottage
Plates
Tonys Pizza
Jigger Shop
Music Center
Lemasters
C&B
Trinity
Diner / Chinese Restaurant
Butcher
Community Deli
Masonic Lodge
Rockaway Sales
Community Deli
Fiedlers
Hackettstown Furniture
Chicks
Krafts
Kraft Insurance
Central House
Biamontis Exxon
Osas Electronics
Moose Lodge
Cardella Carducci
Tonys Shoe Repair
Leos
Hackettstown Auto Parts
Kappers
Bodine Real Estate
Bills Hobbies
Presbyterion Church
Presbyterian Church
Graveyard
Community Center
Warren House
Sub Shack
Hess / Dairy Queen
Chevron/Shell
Broadlawns Tourists
Crazy Horse Saddlery

I'm sure I forgot a few...

Barnacle Bill
Jun '14

It's nice to see an interesting post like this instead of the those (guns, fox, etc.) where the usual cast of blowhards bloviate their inane views ad nauseam.

Extownie
Jun '14

Oh no BB, you forgot the most important "The Strand". Also Kerr's. Good job

auntiel auntiel Message auntiel
Jun '14

How about Henry Monetti Real Estate in the 100 block of Main St.?

Jun '14

That Chinese restaurant on the corner of Church St had good food back in the day. What was the name of that place?

Mr Negative Mr Negative Message Mr Negative
Jun '14

there use to be a very nice gift shop next to Fiedlers bought some nice wine glasses there! Not sure what the name of the shop was..........

jrn jrn Message jrn
Jun '14

oh - and the yarns shop - Yarns Etc! next tothe Sub Shack - after the saddlery place closed

jrn jrn Message jrn
Jun '14

Potpourri, was probably the gift shop

tmb tmb Message tmb
Jun '14

Food Lane also.

PBM PBM Message PBM
Jun '14

Recall getting a Disney soundtrack songs album, a 33, at that Gulf station on the corner of High and Main when my Mom was getting a fillup. I can still picture the cover.

Jun '14

I think the Chinese restaurant was called Kam-Fu....ate there many times .

Dam Dam Message Dam
Jun '14

One can sure recognize the "newbies" who miss the history by a country mile by their self assured statements!! Validate befor posting!!

Oldtimer Oldtimer Message Oldtimer
Jun '14

@ Dam

Yup Kam Fu That was the name Thanks!! That was the only Chinese Restaurant in the area back in the day and they actual had descent food!

Mr Negative Mr Negative Message Mr Negative
Jun '14

as a kid I remember my family talking about Bennets gas station. my uncle worked there. my family still calls that place Bennets. it was on the corner of valentine st. I wish those hardware stores were still on main, I remember going in there with my grandfather. I have a few advertising items around the house from them.

aguy aguy Message aguy
Jun '14

You missed Helens Toyland corner of Main and Liberty streets. Hackettstown Hardware [next to the Cottage restaurant]. The diner/chinese place was called Danleys Diner. Dont forget the Hackettstown Masonic Lodge.

from
Jun '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Trying to recall Main Street circa 1960...
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Your Web Site (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.