Willow Grove School

My daughter will be starting Kindergarten at Willow Grove in September. I wanted some feedback of things I should be aware of at the school. I did hear about the parking lot and that she got the "strict" teacher. Anything else?

2girls 2girls
Aug '12

My daughter will be in first grade at Willow Grove in the fall. She LOVED kindergarten there last year! The kindergarteners are pretty much kept separated from the older kids. I was a little nervous about how my daughter would last during a full day of school, but it went very well. There is a lot of communication home, so parents are always aware of what is going on in kindergarten.

As you mentioned, the parking lot can be crazy; just get there early, as kindergarten is usually let out first (around 2:50) and the lot is usually pretty busy by 2:30.

Good luck!

Htown Resident Htown Resident
Aug '12

My Children go to WG. The parking lot runs great when "everybody" follows the rules, Which sometimes doesn't happen, then you have issues with people at drop off, pulling out from places they are not supposed to park, and not walking their children to the sidewalk as I believe we are supposed to. Just be alert to all that is going on and you will be fine. As far as pick up, I know the Kindergarteners are dismissed at 2:50 and wait with their teachers for the parent. The rest of the classes are out about 3pm. If you are in the parking lot before 2:40, you should have no problem finding a spot.

As far as the Kindergarten teachers, they are all wonderful! This first year of schooling is where we learn our boundries and rules of social, and academic behavior. In my opinion I have never had a problem with any of the teachers being too strict.

Hope this helps, See you soon! :)

luckygirl luckygirl
Aug '12

Just keep in mind that you'll hear wildly divergent opinions of teachers depending on who you talk to. Often, if a teacher has a different "style" than the parents, the parents think they're too strict....too lenient.....etc.

I have a friend whose daughter received the name of her teacher. All of my friend's acquaintances moaned and groaned about how the teacher was so strict....so mean....her daughter was going to have a terrible year.....she should try to get it changed.

Guess what? That teacher was her all time favorite teacher (she's now in high school).

Willow Grove is an outstanding school. The parking lot has been a pain since my now adult children went there. If people would just follow the guidelines, it would be great, but you know that not everyone will do that.

WG has an excellent principal, and a wonderful, caring teaching staff. My best advice to you? Take EVERYTHING that you're told with a giant grain of salt~don't believe everything that you hear. And go in as a supportive parent who realizes that you and your daughter's teachers are a team, working together to make her as successful as she can be, and at the end of the year, you'll be looking back with fond memories.

Good luck to her! And to you-I think walking away from that kindergarten door is one of the great bittersweet moments of being a parent.

Who are you referring to when you say "strict" teacher??

onceawgmom
Aug '12

Harvard doesn't review Kindergarten grades for admission.

Well said, A & W!

colette colette
Aug '12

Please don't name the teacher!!!!!!!

outsider outsider
Aug '12

Ohh, you mean you are not supposed to park 10 feet from the curb, leave your car running with a baby in seat, doors open, and walk to the curb with your child??? That's while you are talking on your cell phone.

If you park on the circle on Morgan Terrace, you can walk up the catwalk and avoid the parking lot divas (female AND male) and concentrate on your kid.

mammadone mammadone
Aug '12

Hey , mammadone I resemble that remark.

OlderMan OlderMan
Aug '12

I agree with A&W, don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see! All the teachers have a different "way" about them. As long as your child is following school rules you shouldn't have any issues. Kindergarten will be wonderful for your daughter, and yes, beware of the parking lot!!

tripsy tripsy
Aug '12

I have my kids in willowgrove that parking lot is a little crazy. People park where they don't belong (handicap) If you get there by 2:15-2:20 you wont have a problem parking you can get the first spot and you wont have to worry about getting stuck behind someone who has to stay until 3. Park on the crub is another good palce to park. In the moring we have fast drop off means let you child out and leave does not mean leave your car there and walk your child to the door. Have to love the parents who do that. All the teachers are great never listen to wha people have to say. Any time after 2:30 you will end up waiting on the hill to get into the parking lot for cars to clear out. Fyi the first couple weeks are crazy after that you should be fine :) enjoy the school year cause it will fly by.

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice
Aug '12

What is fast drop off? I thought u were supposed to park car and walk the child across to the curb? I know the school does not want the kids to cross alone and u r not supposed to pull up and drop off at the curb either.

pumpkin43 pumpkin43
Aug '12

Re: Willow Grove School

I just wish parents would let the teachers teach and stay out of the classroom and pay more attention at home.

You wouldn't want the teacher to come to your house and tell you what you are doing wrong would you?

My son will be starting 1st grade in the fall and we were told as well that he got a really strict teacher. He is well behaved so regardless, I think he will do well but I have to make a concerted effort not to pre-judge. It's hard not to listen to all the babble at times. I have to say his Kindergarten teacher was fantastic. I won't name any names but she is truly wonderful and the principal is top notch.

The parking lot is and always will be crazy. My only pet peave is for the parents (mostly moms) who mill around in the parking lot and chit chat while their car is running and blocking your exit. I do have to get to work and I would appreciate a little consideration.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Aug '12

pumpkin its the first lane next to the white lanes. you will see the cones. You pull up next to the cones and they go right there into the cones.

beelejusice beelejusice
Aug '12

You can drop your kids off at the curb they just have to walk on the side walk to get to the door. Not sure if the kids are playing on the black top before school or are they going into the gym like last year?

beelejusice beelejusice
Aug '12

Whats wrong with having the "strict" teacher? All teachers should be strict. I was very happy when my kids had the "strict" teachers..they knew what was expected of them..anyway I don't think teachers are even allowed to really be strict anymore because of the back lash from some parent's....not all...

G-Ma
Aug '12

Parking lot Divas LOL! Good one Mammadone.

I wish the teachers would just teach and let the parents parent

Big Richard
Aug '12

All the comments are true and the teachers are truly in this with their hearts. My child has just graduated to the Middle School, I was on the Parent/teacher board at WG for three years. I have seen the school get even better (wasnt bad four yrs ago) in these few yrs. The nurse is the best. NO nurse in the state of NJ will go as far as she does. Love her to peices!!! As for the parking lot. BE CARFULL. Kids MUST be walked to the curb. I came within two feet of hitting a child last year while I was moving 5 MPH. Every year the traffic does get worse in this lot. If you can, park at the bottom of the catwalk. The principal realy did not do anything about it after I told him about the near miss. Good Luck!! ...and Get involved in your childs classroom and their activities. VOLUNTEER!! It was fun to see the kids learn so much.

H'townian H'townian
Aug '12

The woman, who has unfortunately replaced "Mr. Bob" in the Willow Grove parking lot (at the crosswalk) seems to take her job a little too seriously! Kids/Parents need to cross safely there without a doubt! However she stopped a car in front of me the other day with not a soul in sight, I almost hit it and the car behind almost hit me, none of us expecting to be stopped!! I later found out that it was my neighbor and she told me the woman was instructing her how to navigate the parking lot. Underlings should stick to what they are there to do (in this case safely cross residents) not play Jr. Cop! When given a small amount of power someone who typically has none often times takes advantage! Just saying!!

WG Year 3
Sep '14

The Jack Butler Method

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKkZhubwt04

WG- Underlings? Real nice putting someone down. At least she is working. Just because she is a parking lot attendant, doesn't mean she is beneath you or anyone else.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Sep '14

un·der·ling
noun derogatory
a person lower in status or rank.
synonyms: subordinate, inferior,

That makes the students underlings of the underlings. Quite low on the totem pole.

First of all that woman you are talking about also subs at WG and is also a physical therapist. She stopped you because you ever think the other lady told her no more spots that are open. She is also there to tell you if you can get a spot or not . So before you get your panties in a bunch you should pay attention to her (Pam)

pitbullover4life pitbullover4life
Sep '14

Know the definition. Why do people think they are better then others?

Sep '14

Wow! First off you must a have read the account of what happened and not understood! We were (the three vehicles) leaving the school! I really don't see what her being a PT has anything to do with this situation either. I guess I hit a nerve on some level! Shes causing vehicles to stop departing the school without cause (someone crossing in the crosswalk). I believe she is the one who feels above, or better than others. Underling was meant in a staff point of view, which in fact she is! Please don't put words in my mouth! My daughter is their to hopefully avoid this type of position!

WG Year 3
Sep '14

I'm stating actual facts regarding an event! Nope not the "Jack Butler Method" at all! All I'm saying is do your job the way you were told to do it not how you choose too! And I work (you assume I don't obviously) as well so "At least she is working" is just as derogatory as you say the word underling is! However, everyone has their own opinion and is absolutely entitled to it. I'll agree to disagree. I just always enjoyed Mr. Bobs smiling face, friendly waves and quite way, so did the kids! And for the record I was a parking lot attendant/valet in college and I can assure you I was underling status!! Also this is my sixth year circumnavigating that parking lot at least three days a week, maybe it's getting to me!

WG Year 3
Sep '14

bothered, I posted that before yours showed up. I know everyone knows the meaning. I also found it to be an odd choice of words. It was just a way of stressing that it can be perceived as derogatory. Which it was. I hope the crossing guard doesn't read the forum. If she does, she might paste the tailgating definition :)

If you are referring to the lady that allows the parents and children to cross and stops the cars in the morning, then I have to say she doesn't let the traffic flow. The gentleman with the beard that did it last year was great. He safely let people cross while still a lowing enough time to let the cars pull out of the lot. It seems to me that the parking lot is so much more congested this year in the AM than it has been in past years. It's nice that she just wants to stop all the traffic to let people walk nonstop but if you never allow any of the cars to pull out then no cars can pull in. Just a little vent. It doesn't ruin my day or my morning, just wondering if any other parents had noticed this.

justbreathe
Sep '14

If you have been going to that parking lot for 6 years then you should know what a bad situation it can be at times. You should not put down anyone that has to deal with all of those parents thinking rules don't apply to them, etc. I have been dealing with that lot for a number of years as well and can't believe the parents speeding in the morning at drop-off and or parking where they should not. It sounds to me as if your neighbor stopped short for whatever reason and if the rest of the cars nearly hit one another, so don't ride up the other cars rear end. Yet, you are blaming that woman?? Use the cat walk. That is the best way to avoid problems. Let the newbies deal with the lot chaos. I have seen this woman directing drivers and I have seen no problems whatsoever. Of course, only from walking the cat walk. Walking relieves stress also. Finally, "My daughter is their to hopefully avoid this type of position" WTH does that mean?? I guess you meant there. That was very rude and shows what kind of person you are. Nasty.

youngnfresh youngnfresh
Sep '14

Im fighting a loosing battle here! We'll see how the year goes with Columbo at the helm then we"ll reconvene! And lastly, youngnfresh, it was not for whatever reason, she stopped her! No speeding involved nor was there any tailgating. Although both going about it totally differently I believe we both want a safe place, both inside and out for our kids to learn! I see the speeding by parents rushing in the morning and cringe every time I see it! Is it worth causing harm to someone to save 2 extra minutes, simple answer..... NO!

WG Year 3
Sep '14

Catwalk=stress free

littlelu littlelu
Sep '14

Sorry Maja.

WG-no one assumed you dont work. You misunderstood.
And you did it again, "my daughter is there to hopefully avoid this type of position". Another slap to the parking lot attendent.
Dont know what your job is, but you are no better then she is.

Sep '14

No one cares what you did in college WG year 3. You're just backtracking on the insult you dished out. That parking lot is a mess, and the crosswalk person is doing her job. Did you stop and ask her what her instructions are for doing that job? Maybe pedestrians first?

And there's much to infer by the way you type and spell. Maybe your kid will be just like you.

neighborhood watcher
Sep '14

They don't stop anyone for "no reason", was it a case of her giving directions (as she is told to do) like when someone does a u-turn in the lot when it's one-way? Safety first WG, I'm glad she's doing her job. P.S. she's not a PT as another person posted, but she is educated and is doing this job because she enjoys working in schools. Also, your son...or did you say daughter (thought you had a son as well!) is safe in the lot as long as people follow the rules! Would you want it any other way??

tripsy tripsy
Sep '14

...plus, she doesn't "just" stop cars for the crosswalk, pretty sure she's controlling cars allowed in and educating cars that may be new to the lot and don't understand the rules. Each year new people are assigned to one of the duties, I'm sure they are told exact what to do. Also, she has to stop cars for vehicles exiting the side lot, the the van transporting students that needs to pull out, etc.

Call the school with your complaints, the Principal would surely take time to explain her duties to you. Don't come on to a public forum and complain, make the call and get some real answers.

tripsy tripsy
Sep '14

Who is columbo at the helm?

acl76 acl76
Sep '14

Seriously? You come on here to rant about this? Be an adult and address your complaints in the appropriate forum, such as the principal's office. The woman you speak of is a hard working mom. Shame on you for slandering her or anyone who is doing their best to keep our children safe.

Townies Townies
Sep '14

Some of these impatient hillbillies have gone so far as to curse at her or to flip this nice lady the bird. What a bunch of low class hicks !

njdad3
Sep '14

I have done two children in this school I have seen it all. People making u turns and parking on the curb faceing the crossing lady (Mrs Pam ) so thy can just leave. I have been blocked in by another car on concerts and could not get out. I have seen last year a mini van hit another car. Someone hit my friends car and never had the balls to even leave a note. Cars going the wrong way. Parents speeding like they have a hot date to get to. Parents to lazy to walk their child across the lot to the curb very unsafe. If you are in a hurry drop your children off early. People parking in handicap to drop kids off. Now lets talk about the cat walk parents park at the end of the circle then see their child come down and stop right in the middle of the road. I am a person to look twice in my mirror cause if I did not I would of killed someone by now these kids dart out of no where. I don't think your kids will die if they have to walk a few feet to get to where you are parked. a letter went home last time circle around until you find a spot to pull into. So before you complain about the staff mabe you are the one doing something wrong. And don't forget think twice before you speak on here. If you follow directions then you wont have a problem. Dont speed park the right way and follow the arrows and the rest is common sense. Just wait until you get to the middle school that's just as fun will you complain about that to.

Sep '14

How about the Mom that got hit one morning about 3 years ago...doing what she was supposed to do and a Mom (who had just dropped off at the yellow curb right at the front, because their child can't walk the ten feet from the lot) who was waving to her child bumped and knocked over the Mom who was doing the right thing. Oh yeah, then when the first Mom said she was ok the negligent Mom drove away as if nothing happened.

tripsy tripsy
Sep '14

Oh I'm sorry I left that one out :)

Sep '14

I know everyone has had it with this winter but we are all in the same boat. What I witnessed at this lot is beyond ridiculous. There is more congestion on the delayed opening days but some common courtesy would help matters. There is no reason why parents can not use some courtesy and let the flow of traffic proceed by letting those parents that arrived prior to others into the exit line. Some seem to think they need to clog up the area by drop off by making sure they have their car so close to the one in front of them, no gaps. Besides the fact you were unsafe because kids were still arriving and needed to cross with their parents! Guess what drivers? We weren't moving because the line is backed up from the exit all the way up to the drop off line. The cars that arrived before you, facing the school, need to exit the lot also. We all have to wait in the exit line so what makes some of you think you will make matters better by not letting anyone out?
It just seems logical and I don't know, just a nice thing to do to let the flow move and the people that having been waiting longer than you go first?? About 5 or 6 cars hurrying up to go nowhere and just looking straight ahead as if nobody is around them, you really stink! It is already nuts there in the afternoon with the way some of the parents try to weasel their way into crazy spots that don't exist, block the flow or the speed demons. I know many want to blame the school or town, etc. It would be nice if the police were there to direct at the exit line so it moves but like I said some common courtesy would go a long way.

wgparent
Mar '15

wgparent

I was thinking the same thing this morning. I parked and walked my son to the curb and then had to wait to get in line to exit because nobody would let me in. The worst thing was the people blocking the exit route were the ones who just drove up and parked while blocking the exit flow of trafic while their kids sauntered out of the car. The rules are that every child is supposed to be escorted to the sidewalk. We are all in a hurry and nobody's time is more valuable than anybody else's. People should have waited for an appropriate spot to open up and then walk their child to the curb, per school policy. Also, is it too much to ask that cars take turns letting people in. I saw no manners at all today. The only thing that held me back from going on a rant was that these were parents of kids my son plays with and I didn't want him gaining the reputation as the kid with the crazy mom.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Mar '15

While my son doesn't attend this school, therefore cannot speak to any issues - I highly recommend that parents call the principal directly today. There is power in numbers to get things done/changed in every school.

mom of one mom of one
Mar '15

Jazzykatt,
That is exactly the culprits. The ones who can not be bothered to drop their kids off the proper way to begin with then make their blocking train across the front of the sidewalk by where the kids are crossing. It just irks me that they think they are the only ones with somewhere to be when we are all kind of stuck in that moment. I felt one driver was trying to push past me in the lot facing the school while I had been there longer and my child had been in the building for quite some time yet hers had just barely walked in. I had the urge to turn into the crazy parent for sure between her and the blockers in the front!

wgparent
Mar '15

It's not only WG, It happens at every school where there is no one directing the flow of traffic. I wouldn't waist time with the principal, his hands are tied. Grab your cell phone, film it and go directly to the BOE. Mom o 1 is correct power in numbers. "Demand" something be done. Do it at every BOE meeting, they cannot come back and say we didn't know. That's how things get done. They always preach "Safety first". Don't wait for a tragedy to happen, it could be your child.

auntiel auntiel
Mar '15

I do plan on going to the next board meeting. They need to find a solution because I truly believe it is just a matter of time before someone gets hurt, or worse.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Mar '15

Power in numbers? The only numbers that matter are votes and these members go unopposed. At HH they pull right up to the curb and park with the taxi vans. Some make their own parking at the end of the parking lanes. It is a joke. The custodian used to try to correct the problem but people just ignored her.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.