Kohl's scam

Kohls should be brought up on charges for deceiving people on there 10 dollar cash back scam. Here's my story about a week ago I purchased 2 pairs of pants at 19.99 & a tee shirt vera wang valued at 15.99 & underwear the bill came to 83 something. I got 10.00 off kolhs cash, the bill is now 73 something dollars. Today I decided to bring back the tee because the neck felt like it was choking me, Mind you I was thinking about returning the pants too, anyway I arrived at Kohls returned department gave the man behind the counter my receipt & heres's what he said "I CAN ONLY GIVE YOU 49 CENTS " I said WHAT IT cost me 15.99. He said " YOU GOT 10 DOLLARS OFF MAKES IT A FREE ITEM " I said wait a minute I don't understand I got 10 off my Whole purchase NOT free. At least I should get 5 dollars back. I told him what if I bought back the pants were they 49 cents too ? I told the man for 49 cents I'll use it to mop my floors with or give it to the thrift. So of course I kept the tee. I decided to look around & found a pair of jeans that really fit better than the ones I bought with the tee, now I really wanted to return the whole purchase. Would I get the entire money back then?? I got to the counter to pay for the new jeans & I said to the cashier I didnt want the 10 dollars cash coupon. she said " sorry the registar will not let me do that, just dont use the 10 cash back if your going to bring anything back. I said uh !! so she gives me the coupon for 10 cash back. I got know wheres telling her about the 10 coupon scam. I AM STILL CONFUSED . I refused it but got it anyway, payed alot for items & in return got nothing for them bringing them back. WELL WHO WANTS THE CASH BACK IF YOUR GOING TO GET BEAT THE FULL BILL. What looks good in a dressing room is totally different when you take it home !!! What should I do ????? Upset getting stuck with 73 dollars worth of stuff !

tangerine tangerine
Aug '12

Take everything back, get your $73 back. Then repurchase only the items you want and use a new $10 coupon. You will in effect defeat their screwy system.

Agust Agust
Aug '12

Take everything back & you should get your $73 back.
at least I assume you would.

MikeL MikeL
Aug '12

Find bigger problems to worry about ...

Computer Sharp Computer Sharp
Aug '12

Thankyou , good idea I will take everything back makes sense.

tangerine tangerine
Aug '12

If you look at your receipt chances are the shirt that was 15.99 came up even less if you are getting 49 cents back. Check your receipt and see what the actual cost of the shirt was. If you return items when you use a 10 dollar off, the return is based on the $10 off. They can not give you another 10 dollars off. Did you use a percentage off that day? That can make the shirt less than 15.99 also. Your best option would have been to do a store credit, which would have given you the value of the shirt. You already saved the 10 dollars. Which means you could have had credit for $10.49. If it is in the redemption period for Kohl's cash and you make a return that is how it works.

I don't get why you would say you don't want another 10 dollars off of your other purchase. If you spent 50 at your next purchase and received another 10 off then you made out ok. If you don't like the rest of your stuff from your 73 dollar order. Return it and you will get credited what you spent. I do think you should take another look at your receipt and you will probably see that you were charged less than 15.99 on the shirt.

youngnfresh youngnfresh
Aug '12

Deal with it.... That is life. Return it all they have to give you back the 73 dollars. What do you expect from minimum wage workers

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Aug '12

I have had a few similiar issues with a man that works in returns. Anytime I have gone and dealt with other cashiers I don't have any issues. I actually will wait till a different day so i don't have to deal with the man cashier. The other ones have just given me a gift card so I don't loose my coupon.

Sunshine Sunshine
Aug '12

return everything - nothing is for free - Be sure you Want it before using that $10.00 free coupon ! then maybe it is free ?

Go return it without a reciept.

sarah sarah
Aug '12

I like return the whole $73, see if you can get the coupon and start again.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Aug '12

My wife does the Kohl's cash thing and returns all the time. The trick is you can't return the stuff too soon. I'm a little confused by what she does, but when I bitch about how much she put on the Kohl's card, she tells me not to worry, she's returning a bunch of stuff but can't do it before she uses up her Kohl's cash. Overall, she seems to make out like a bandit at that place, so I can't complain.

Bruin Bruin
Aug '12

Not sure why people are bashing kohls for this policy. Its pretty standard. People would be getting free clothes if it werent like that

If you don't show the reciept with the item, the store has no idea about your $10 Kohls cash. You will most likely get the money put onto a kohls gift card but its still better than 49 cents. Just try again tomorrow and hope the person working at the return desk is someone different.

Kissycat Kissycat
Aug '12

Mr. Negative: please don't call Kohl's workers "minimum wage workers" and "what can you expect", I have a couple of friends who work there and they are hard-working people who have degrees but are working extra to make ends meet...plus, it's not the workers' policy, it's Kohl's policy.

Tangerine: it doesn't matter when you try to return the stuff, you will always have to have the $10 credited back, the kohl's cash is linked with the receipt. You might want to return it all and just get back all the money you paid ($73), that way you won't have to worry about which item the $10 gets taken off of. You wouldn't get $10 off each item if you returned them separately, but they do take the $10 the item you returned first. It does all work out, it's confusing though. If you feel upset, take it all back.

tripsy tripsy
Aug '12

I've never had an issue with returns at Kohl's either and the associates are always friendly and helpful. In an instance like this, where I wasn't doing an exact even exchange, I would return the item without the receipt, so I wouldn't lose my coupon discount. Just make sure you don't wait too long because prices tend to drop and without a receipt, you'll only get the current selling price.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '12

Ditto what Tracy said regarding the employees being friendly. Also, when I have returned things the customer service person always said I had a choice of a refund to my card and lose my Kohl's cash or take a store credit and keep the Kohl's cash. Obviously, I take the store credit. I shop there all the time so it will always get used.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '12

It's the Zombie attack known as Kohl's trolls.. Run before you become The Walking Dead minimum wage retail worker.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Aug '12

The change was made because people were scamming the system.

I have had the exact return experience Calico has had. I always take the credit too. And that policy makes sense. Your still spending the same $$ and keeping the discount.
Unfortunately, stores need to have these policies otherwise they get ripped off. Example-customer had $10 Kohl's cash and buys a $10 item. Then tries to returns it to get $10 cash back. Now the store would have given the customer $10. They do need to protect themselves, even if some honest customers aren't happy. But as stated above, there are ways around it for an honest customer to get their credit.

Never had a problem with returns at Kohl's either...Just did it tonight. Very nice lady.

Firefly Firefly
Aug '12

Calico, I've had the same experience and since I'm there all the time too, I take the store credit.

LV Mom
Aug '12

Call corporate and ask them the policy. Then out the store where the issue occurred. They will act if it means losing a customer.

This was so painful to read. Did you go to school?

Lissy Lissy
Aug '12

Here's their policy on returns that involve Kohl's Bucks..not sure why they only wanted to refund you $.49 though. If your receipt showed you paid $15.99 and used $10.00 Kohl's bucks, I'm thinking you should have gotten back $5.99..that makes sense to me. Am I missing something here? If you still have the item, I would take it back and get back my $5.99.

https://cs.kohls.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/125/~/kohl%27s-cash-and-returns

Bessie Bessie
Aug '12

Part of this doesn't make sense to me. If you buy $83 worth of stuff you get your $10 off. Do you have to spend a certain amount to get that $10 off? So now you owe your $73 after the discount. You bring back 1 thing. Would you still have gotten your $10 off if you didn't buy that 1 thing? Do they prorate the discount?

The only way i can see it making sense is if you purposely brought back each item separately to get the full refund. Then a person could scam Kohl's and get the full 83 back instead of the 73 they actually paid. If that's the case then i guess i can see why Kohls does it this way. They just apply the discount to the first item you happen to return.

Bryan Bryan
Aug '12

Kohl's is a very reputable store. I have returned things many times and never had a problem. In fact, I think Kohl's customer service department is excellent. Why didn't you just simply take the store credit. Why all the fuss. It sounds like you went there with an "attitude".

Mindy'sMom Mindy'sMom
Aug '12

Doesnt the receipt show, after they took the $10 off, what each item cost, singularly?
It should and thats the amount you should get back, if you return an item.

Its $10 off your whole order, not 1 item.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Aug '12

I bought several items using Kohl's cash and regular cash for the balance due of that purchase. Had to return the items. They gave me a credit card with the amount on it that I used with Kohl's cash and anything that I bought over that Kohl's Cash amount with my personal money.... I got my money back. Made sense to me.

joyful joyful
Aug '12

Thank you for saying it Lissy...This was indeed a painful read, lol

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Aug '12

Thank you Bryan....I have been scratching my head over this. You are not obligated to spend a minimum amount when using Kohl's cash - However if you were buying something for only $10 and then returning the item it may only be eligible for store credit which only makes sense. Kohl's is trying to keep the money within.

It sounds like the Kohl's employee did not understand how to handle a return with Kohl's cash involved. If I was tangerine I would go back with all the paperwork and ask a manager to review.

Firefly Firefly
Aug '12

I had the same problem with the man in returns and Kohl's cash. I went to a different cashier and asked about the new policy. She told me that some people were abusing the Kohl's cash program, so this is their new policy. If you buy something using Kohl's cash and return it, you will only be refunded the amount of the sale minus the Kohl's cash AND you will NOT be given the Kohl's cash discount back to use again...AND you can't even exchange the item and use the discount. Sounds like some customer /management conversation needs to be had. If enough people complain about it, maybe it will change.

Scam? They're just looking out for their best interests. If you returned the whole purchase you could get all of your money back, but the policy is to prevent people from scamming them.

Based on your spelling and grammar, though, you probably don't understand that.

bemo12
Aug '12

ccbw,

Why would a store need to change a policy that keeps people from ripping them off? I'm sure lots of thought went into this. Just like most places used to do returns without a receipt and no longer do so, it's because people were being deceitful, and of course to their own advantage. We're lucky Kohl's is still willing to do returns without a receipt. I won't be surprised when that disappears as well...

Aug '12

I think there's something that's been overlooked here. Read the store's return policy before the purchase. Don't make a purchase, decide you want to return something, then complain because it's not to your liking. If you had read it, you wouldn't get the surprise. You can't call it a scam if you didn't read readily available information that spells it out.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Aug '12

tangerine,

The same thing happened to me at Kohls. I bought a few blouses and washed them in delicate cycle (not wore them) and they got ruiined so I took them back.

They were ok with the return since they saw how bad the blouses were but at the time of giving me the money they told me they couldn't give me what I had paid because I received a $10 coupon (wich I never used) so, they gave me $10 less and they took the $10 coupon on top of that.

I don't think I will be shoping there again.

I have a prediction, Kohls will be going out of business due to cheap customers...

If you used any charge card you dont need the receipt it will go back on your card. see if it works. Tell them you lost the Kohls cash so you did not use it why should you have to lose money. Or take it back to newton Kohls.

beetlejuice beetlejuice
Aug '12

I made a purchase at Kohl's a few months back and was given $10 in Kohl's cash. I ended up returning part of the purchase, which then brought my purchase total under the amount needed to earn Kohl's cash. The cashier completing my return told me the Kohl's cash that had been issued was now invalid and couldn't be used. If I'm reading what ET is saying correctly, they have changed their policy?

Htown Resident Htown Resident
Aug '12

I personally think Kohl's is overrated. They completely jack up the prices so that it looks like you are getting a deal when you use a coupon or they have a sale. The clothes they carry aren't worth the original price or the discount price. It is really a marketing ploy. You can do just as well somewhere else and get better quality.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Aug '12

I tend to agree, Jazzykatt, which is pretty much why I never buy anything there unless it's on the clearance rack, on sale, etc. With that said, I do shop there often and I have gotten some especially good deals.

What Kohl's needs to do is staple the Kohl's cash to the receipt like other stores do when you get coupons like that. If you return with a receipt and you wouldn't have otherwise qualified for the coupon/cash bucks, they take it back. Simple. Stores have been doing these kind of sales/gimmicks for years. When I was 17 and worked at Limited, Too we frequently had their "Too Bucks" promotions. We always had to staple and mark the receipt that Too Bucks were administered. If customers tried to return an item without the Too Bucks, we had to reduce the value of the return.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '12

So, Kohl's is similar to furniture stores. Ever notice furniture is almost always on sale? And it's pretty sad that JCPenney tried to do away with all of the chicanery, issue fair prices and almost no gimmicks, and looks like they are going to go bankrupt ....because....people want sales.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Aug '12

Just had a smilar experience. My husband purchased my Christmas gifts at Kohl's and asked for gift receipts. When he made the purchase he did receive cash back but never used it. Because I returned the items back only using the gift receipt - I received less back then what he purchased the items for. Even though I had them put in on an instore credit. I found this out when I went to go pay bills and saw the acutal amount he paid for the items. So here is the kicker. You can buy a $100 gift for someone - pay from your pocket the $100 - get $20 in cash back - never use it and if the person receiving the gift returns it - will only get credit for $80. This means you spent $20 at Kohls for the privlage of shopping at their store. This is SO wrong. Never shopping there again.

GinaNorthAurora GinaNorthAurora
Jan '13

I'm not sure I understand why a person would NOT use the Kohl's cash. You've spent money to earn it, they give it to you and it's free money.

Tracy Tracy
Jan '13

"You can buy a $100 gift for someone - pay from your pocket the $100 - get $20 in cash back - never use it and if the person receiving the gift returns it - will only get credit for $80. This means you spent $20 at Kohls for the privlage of shopping at their store. "

So walk in and out buying $100 worth of stuff, getting free $20, returning $100 and make Kohl's lose $20? They do this because of people who buy and return right away and pocket a "free" $20.

HERPDERP
Jan '13

FYI, Gift receipts are the biggest store scam ever, next to unused gift cards --- If the person is going to find out how much you spent anyway, just give them the regular receipt. Found this out when I returned a dress for my daughter that was too small - since everything was on sale right after Christmas, it came out to $5.88 - I know the person who bought it spent much more, it was the Disney Store after all. The store sells it at full price and if you happen to return it when it's one discount, then you're screwed and the store makes out like a bandit. Very rarely does the price go UP in retail terms so the stores know they will ALWAYS make out when you use a gift receipt.

trekster3 trekster3
Jan '13

I get gift receipts for my granddaughers all the time. And they always get merchandise equal to the amount I paid for the item. If you don't have a receipt or a gift receipt, then you just get the amount of what the item is at the time you return it. Also, Kohl's cash does not give you money off the purchase you are making at the time. You have to go back at a future date to buy something else. Then you get to use the Kohl's cash towards your purchase. If you paid $100.00 for the purchase, that is what you should get back. I hardly ever se the Kohl's cash as I feel it is just an excuse for them to get me to come back and spend more money.

Mariann Mariann
Jan '13

Mariann - please next time I will gladly take your Kohl's cash. I will go in and spend $10 on something and leave happy. I have done in many times.

Firefly Firefly
Jan '13

Firefly, next time I get some and do not want to use it, I will inbox you and meet you somewhere. I would be more than happy to give it to someone who is going to use it.

Mariann Mariann
Jan '13

I had a similar experience recently. Instead of losing the money, I had the option to find an another item at the exact same price and it would be an even exchange. No such luck. I returned the item to another store. I will be careful what I use my Kohl's cash on in the future. Never had this problem before.

Stevie C Stevie C
Jan '13

Mariann, if it's an exchange, yes then you get exactly comparable - they didn't have the size I needed so I turned in the dress with the gift receipt and got back the chump change. My sister was LIVID when she found out. The only true way to guarantee you get exactly the amount you spent is to give them the regular receipt, or give them both and see which gets you more, either way they find out how much you spent. If you use a gift receipt you run the chance of getting ripped off.

trekster3 trekster3
Jan '13

Not everyone has the time to go back and spend the Kohl's cash on separate trip. There have been many times mine has gone wasted because I wasn't able to get there during the dates that the Kohl's Cash was good for.

Moeno Moeno
Jan '13

Doesn't a gift receipt preserve the amount of money paid for an item? I'm not sure what the difference would be if you gave them the regular receipt versus the gift receipt. The price paid should be the same, and should be the same when returning or exchanging. This of course is reduced by the amount of Kohl's cash given, regardless of which receipt you use. It's a store policy meant to deter people from the practices described in HERPDERP's post above. I've never had a problem returning an item with a gift receipt and receiving less than what the original receipt displayed (minus any discounts or coupons).

Tracy Tracy
Jan '13

If I am understanding this situation correctly, you got a gift and wanted to exchange it. They did not have it so they gave you cash back BUT they alos took off for the Johls cash which was never used? I have returned items that the Kohls cash was never used and they just adjusted the Kohls cash. What store was that? Just seems there is more to the story. Also they do take expired Kohls cash so maybe that has somehting to do with it. I personally have never had this issue always got my exact back and if they had given me Kohls cash they just adjusted it. Maybe you should bring the transaction into a manager for clarification.

Christine Christine
Jan '13

Damn right Firefly! I have gone in with my $10 Kohls cash and bought stuff for $11 and left very happy. Why would you not use it when you have it? Dont get that!

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Jan '13

That's the beauty of the Kohl's cash. It doesn't require you to spend any additional money, like some store promotions do. It's the equivalent of the store handing you a $10 bill with your receipt.

Tracy Tracy
Jan '13

Problem is they don't want to understand and every time you will return any item from that order they will give you less each time some amount in the name of Kohl's cash redeemed will be deducted. If you pay attention you will know they are not just subtracting 10 dollars for 10 dollars but 10.80 cents. When you return an item instead of using kohls cash as added value they are treating it as discount. Which is not true that was discount for future purchase for recent one an added value. But if they have done this they pay more taxes and customer less. So cleverly they are making customer to get less money back in the name of discount then lower their tax rate and money in Kohl's pocket.

Shakoori Shakoori
Dec '13

Shakoon...I found that out yesterday when I returned two items that was purchased using a Discover card along with a $10 off coupon that Discover sent us...If you spent over $50 you also got another $10 off that purchase. I also used a 15% off coupon that I received on the internet. Bought three items..one for price of $34.99..the other $29.99 and the third $19.99. When 2 of these items were returned yesterday( the ones for $29.99 and $19.99) which should have been $44.98 refund they only gave us back a credit of $28.61 for the two items returned because she took off the $10 discount and the $15 discount as well when the items were returned. Still trying to figure this one out....

joyful joyful
Dec '13

Kohls should do what JCPenney does. On their receipt, it takes off all the discounts and after each item it says "return value is" and shows you how much you will get back if your return any item. That takes care of the confusion for some.

botheredbyuu
Dec '13

When you are using the coupons and the discount you actually do not pay the regular price. So why should you receive the full refund price if you did not pay the pull price? Also when I return an item I used the Kohls cash for I geet the Kohls cash back for future use.

Christine Christine
Dec '13

Joyful - When you return items, the discounts apply to the return too. If you items were marked $29.99 and $19.99, then you really paid about $32.50 for both of them with the discounts. (figuring the $10 was divided evenly $3.33 for each item) The difference between that and what you got back is close to the additional part of the $10. That's what the biggest problem is - splitting that vs just not getting it back.

But if it were me, I have a real quick solution to the discounts - return *all* the items. That's why I hate Kohls to begin with. If you're not using Kohls cash plus a coupon plus some special certificate, you're overpaying. They've marked up all the prices to be 20% more anyway. Why does joyful pay $32.50, the guy behind her pays $37.50, and the lady behind him pays $30.00 all for the same thing?? If Kohls is happy selling it for $32.50, just put $32.50 on the tags and be done with all the gimmicks.

GC - Penny's tried that and it didn't work. If fact it was a disaster. So you can't blame Kohls. People want gimmicks. So they are only giving them what they want.

I agree GC, I don't have time to play their games.

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Dec '13

If you return something on the receipt where you got the Kohls cash when you go to use your cash during another visit they will tell you that your Kohls cash is no longer valid. However, for some reason you can still use online.

Nosila Nosila
Dec '13

I could not return all of the items and get my money back, GC, as one of the three items bought that day was a men's sweater (a gift which he is not planning to return).. which was originally a $70 sweater and we paid $34.99 for that. Oh well, thanks for all the tips...I will try to be a wiser shopper( or I should say, returner...) next time around and just hope I don't have to return any of the things I buy using Kohls cash or Internet percentage print out discounts. ...

joyful joyful
Dec '13

I had a Kohl's coupon for 30% off, so I went and had a look. I could not find anything "made in the USA" Guess that's why everything is so cheap at Kohl's.
Needless to say I left without any purchases. Next stop was Rite-Aid. All the Christmas stuff was 50% off, and none of it was made in the USA. Maybe I need to shop in Canada to find anything made here.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Dec '13

Kohls is not cheap. Only when they have sales and you have a coupon. Usually very over priced. Love Boscoves.

botheredbyuu
Dec '13

I like the Ross stores too but the nearest one is in Allentown, Pa. My daughter in California has Ross stores out there by her and they are her favorite store as well. Where is Boscoves, botherebyou??

joyful joyful
Dec '13

I agree with "botheredbyuu". I enjoy going to Boscov's, partly since it reminds me of the great days of going to department stores in the 60's, when I was a child! I also enjoy the nice selection and good sales, plus they have Sauder (made in America - Ohio) knock down furniture, which I've used since the early 80's for bookcases, entertainment centers, etc.(often on sale too). Boscovs is also family-owned, having gone through a bankruptcy restructuring and repurchase by some of the family members.

"joyful" for the closest store go to www.boscovs.com I go to the one in the Palmer Park Mall in Nazareth, PA. It's a hike to get there from home in Hopatcong, but since I work on the edge of town off 57, it's only a 45 or so minute drive to get there from work, depending on traffic.

Phil D. Phil D.
Dec '13

Palmer park mall. About 10 mins west of Easton.

botheredbyuu
Dec '13

Boscovs is like going to the old Bamberger's Newark. Just a very nice store. I go for the Sauder items also.

Old Gent Old Gent
Dec '13

How about Bon -Ton in Phillipsburg mall.....I've been in it many times never bought anything....the wifey on the other hand likes it,must be a female thing ! Lolll...

Speaking about old time stores in Newark, how about the Kresge s in Newark especially during the holiday season with the train that hung from the ceiling in the toy department

http://johansennewman.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341d0acd53ef017c38054a0b970b-500wi

easy going guy
Dec '13

Is the Boscov's in Palmer Park Mall a full one? The mall is very small, so I always assumed it would be a "mini" one, like the Bon Ton in Phillipsburg.

Aquarius Aquarius
Dec '13

@Aquareius.... Is the Boscov's in Palmer Park Mall a full one? I think its a full size one. it seems pretty big to me. Also if I remember rite,they have a sorta neat place up stairs to eat also. yes it does give you that thrown back in time feeling. I'm not a shopper at all, and buy most everything I need on line, but the family sometimes brings me along to watch them shop. I remember thinking Boscov's was a nice old fashion store. I have no opinion at all about Kohl's or the return policy there. But every women I know, hangs out there or shops there or does something there. are men are even allowed in that store?

I also think kohls can be way overpriced. People say "You get good deals when there is a sale" and until today I have never encountered that! It seems they just mark everything up to make you think you are getting a good price. Today, I actually think I made out pretty well:) I got 5 sweaters, a pair of dress pants, and a pair of sneakers for only $135.00!! I did have a 20% off coupon.

Thanks, aguy. I'll have to give it a try. I love that kind of throwback department store.

Aquarius Aquarius
Dec '13

Aquarius - If you really like throwback, try KMart in East Stroudsburg or on Route 10. ;-)

For BonTon there is also Stroud Mall which quicker to get to but perhaps more miles. You choose. ;-)

I should also say for clarity sake that the somewhat facetious "return everything" was really a way of saying "I suggest not shopping there to begin with". I know I already said I don't like the business or their practices.

I believe the Boscov's in Palmer park mall is full sized, as stated it is very large. There is also a Bon-ton at the other end of the mall.

I shop at Kohl's and have never felt that I was scammed out of anything. I'm a pretty good bargain shopper and know my prices and very rarely buy anything at the original price. Who would? I'm definitely a clearance shopper and usually try to use my Kohl's cash for something I know isn't going to be taken back. On the other hand, I do shop at Boscov's too..you've all described it pretty well, like an old Bambergers, LOL. I go to the one in Palmer Park Mall and it is the best place to buy curtains. They have a large selection at decent prices.

Bessie Bessie
Dec '13

Bessie - I also do not feel scammed at Kohls. I use the sales and the coupons and by watching the sales, I know when I am "getting the good price" on items. I know when a door buster is really a door buster price and realize that if I use coupons and Kohls cash, that if I return the item, I will not get full price back.

I do recommend to use Kohl's cash on items that you know you will not return. It is much easier in the long run.

Coralie Coralie
Dec '13

I'm confused. If you take off Kohl's cash and pay for an item using Kohl's cash, why would someone expect to get that back if they return it? I think of it just like using a coupon. I must be missing something, but if I buy something for $20 and use $10 Kohl's cash, why would I expect to get $20 back? I only spent $10. I'm so confused.

Alison1 Alison1
Dec '13

I mostly shop a Kohl's because it's convenient, I don't have to leave town. Since they are always sending coupons in the mail, I refuse to shop without a coupon, it's just not worth it. I started shopping at Kohl's when they opened the store in Ledgewood, since then it seems to me the quality of their clothes do not seem the same. I have some older items that are still in good condition, newer stuff, not so much. Just my opinion.

Lynnada Lynnada
Dec '13

Just to add, I find it a better deal to spend more $$ for quality basics. Things you know you will wear often, if you calculate the cost-per-wear, sometimes it makes more sense to pay more if the item is well made from good material which will last longer.

Trendy things (usually accessories), sure, buy them at Kohl's using your 30% off and Kohl's cash, so if they are out of style next season, it's no big loss.

Lynnada Lynnada
Dec '13

Boscovs is huge. Great store. Great bargains.

botheredbyuu
Dec '13

Kohl's is right up there with Old Navy when it comes to "disposable clothes". Poor quality that you get a handful of uses out of before they get thrown in the trash.... or donated to the Lupus people. The tshirts stretch funny, the sweaters pill easily, and the pants never seem to wear well either. I have tshirts from A&F that are almost 20 years old that look better than a 6-month old one from Kohl's. Ditto for khakis bought from J Crew... you really are paying for quality, not just the "name".

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Dec '13

And shoes. I have returned several Kohls shoes that were poor quality (equivalent to payless quality) - yet you are paying Kohls prices.

I prefer Marshalls - thought the htown store is usually a mess.

htownnewbie htownnewbie
Jan '14

I HATE KOHLS!!!! I don't understand the fascination with that stupid store. Everyone thinks they are getting a great deal but don't you see how marked up everything is???? So what if you get a 30% coupon. That doesn't mean you got a great deal; it means that you paid what you should have. ONLY if items are already on sale and then you use the coupon are you getting a bargain.

Most of their clothing is of such poor quality that it fades or shreds within a year of purchase. I do much better with coupons in nicer stores than Kohls. The only thing worth buying there are jeans or dockers.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Jan '14

When I'm able to pay less than $10/pr for shoes on a regular basis (that I, by the way, have never had an issue with), I call it a Hell of a deal. It's easy. Wait for things to go on clearance, use your coupons, use your Kohl's cash. Same goes for anything else in the store. I don't care what their original price is on anything as I'd never consider an item that wasn't on some type of sale, etc. I definitely get my money's worth :)

Jan '14

I never go there. They don't carry my shoe or pant or sock sizes

Old Gent Old Gent
Jan '14

went once with a friend - everything he was buying was on sale with big posted sale signs - not one item rang up with the correct price ---good thing we were aware - had to drag the cashier to each area to see the correct price---definitely not the store for me................

5catmom 5catmom
Jan '14

At every store I watch the prices ring up, so they don't screw up.

botheredbyuu
Jan '14

@lori..with you all the way on this. The wonderful thing about shopping is we all get to shop where we feel we're getting the best bargains that are good for us. I've not often had things rings up wrong (and I'm very aware of prices), however, I do find if something rings up wrong, they correct it without making you wait. I find their customer service to be pretty accomodating. I happen to hate Marshall's, but if others like Marshall's, I'm happy for them.

Bessie Bessie
Jan '14

Don't like Marshalls at all. ;)

botheredbyuu
Jan '14

I kinda like Kohls,after Xmas I bought a shirt and a pair of jeans on the clearance rack for $35 after my Kohls cash kicked in it only me cost $13.According to my receipt it says I saved $112.00 ...Loll...I think I got a good deal,or did I get screwed ? It says original prices were $60 for the shirt and $88 for the jeans..

@dam..I look at it this way, $35.00 for jeans and a shirt is a great deal, no matter what they're showing as original prices. When you take off your Kohls cash and it would be even less, it would be a deal to me. Enjoy your bargain!

Bessie Bessie
Jan '14

I don't think I have ever paid the original price for anything at Kohl's. I get great deals there all year long. As for quality, I have never had anything shred etc. BTW, they do sell name brand items as well their own brands. I bought a pair of Reebok running shoes there for $39 after discounts that I have seen for $99 elsewhere.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '14

I have always had good experiences at Kohls and NEVER buy anything unless its on sale or with Kohls cash. Good quality merchandise, unlike Marshalls.

botheredbyuu
Jan '14

It's such a scam! I went the other day to use my $40 in Kohl's Cash. It rang up to $39.17 when the cashier totaled it. I handed over the $40 in Kohl's Cash. He put the amount in then told me I owe $5 or $6. I questioned why I owed more money after the total was $39.17. I was told because I used the Kohl's Cash. He got the manager. He said the same thing over & over. He asked if I wanted him to ring it up again to show me. The same exact thing happened. It went form $39.17 to $5 or $6 more as soon as he hit that I was using Kohl's cash. I was told that it's just a coupon, not $40. He told me, trying to make his point that if I went to get gas with this I wouldn't get gas. I told him if Kohl's sold gas, I would expect to get $40 in Kohl's gas. He had nothing to say. Then he turns the Kohl's Cash over & points out in the fine print that it's worth $1 less than is actually printed on the front. WTH? Talk about Scams! Something happened very similar to this a while ago when I used Kohl's Cash. My bad....

Seriously done Seriously done
Jan '14

I have bought $39 worth of merchandise with $40 worth of Kohl's cash and have never had a problem. My biggest gripe with the Kohl's cash is how quickly it becomes effective after earning it and how fast it expires.

Aquarius Aquarius
Jan '14

It never really expires. They always honor it. Never throw them away. I learned that a few years ago.

Seriously done Seriously done
Jan '14

I'm so glad many of you won't be shopping at this 'deceptive' store. More bargains for me!

Jan '14

LOL, Lori! And less crowds to deal with.

Aquarius Aquarius
Jan '14

I believe kohl's now accepts expired kohl's cash. Someone told me that a few months ago, and I used mine a week or so after mine expired and the cashier didn't say a word.

Some Kohl's do, some don't...

Jan '14

Weird, I went back and looked at my Kohl's receipts and they all scanned for the amount of the Kohls cash, $10.00, $20,00. $40.00, never $1.00 less. The only thing I would think would make sense is that you wouldn't get the change between the $40.00 and $39.17. Going to have to set that scenario up with my next Kohls cash and take note of what happens. The explanation they gave makes no sense and I would probably have to gone to customer service and fight that one out. I could also see it going higher if the $39.17 total was before taxes and then after they put the Kohls cash in it added in the tax.

Bessie Bessie
Jan '14

Just curious if those that seem to detest Kohl's Cash return policy still shop there? If anyone ever gets Kohls Cash and they don't want to use it because it's such a scam or not worth their trouble, please, by all means, I'll give you my address and pay you the postage to drop it in the mail to me :)

Bessie Bessie
Jan '14

Kohls in Mansfield takes expired Kohls cash. The cashier told me on Thanksgiving. Never had a problem with Kohls. Sounds like some want to get refunded more then they actually spent. JMO!

botheredbyuu
Jan '14

Bessie,

You reminded me of something. One day on a FB yard sale site a girl was asking for people to give her their Kohl's cash as it was going to expire soon, and instead of it going to waste by them not using it she'd gladly take it off their hands. She was met with a barrage of comments about how it was still usable so no one was going to give it to her. The other comments all said "good try". LOL

Jan '14

@seriously done..any way you could post a copy of your receipt..I work in an accounting department and am a numbers person..would love to see if I could figure it out. I always tell them at work I love a good mystery when it comes to numbers.

Bessie Bessie
Jan '14

@seriously done, did you give them a 15% off coupon first? When you use Kohls cash it comes off before the coupon. So if you bought say $45 minus 15% equals aprox $38. If you then hand in the $40 kohls cash it comes off the $45, leaving you $5 and then the 15% comes off the $5. So basically you can't use two coupons, Kohls cash is a coupon it's not the same as cash (even though that's how they advertise it)

Sunshine Sunshine
Jan '14

Re: Kohl's scam

Here's my receipt...looks ok to me !

Re: Kohl's scam

Here's another,used a gift card ...what a deal I got ! Luv them gift cards :-)

The first picture Dam posted shows what I am talking about. The 15% off comes off on the total after the kohls cash has been applied. That's why if I have a 30% off coupon I usually will hold off on using my Kohls cash. You can get good deals but you need to understand how it all works so you don't waste your kohls cash.

Sunshine Sunshine
Jan '14

In response to Easy Going Guy, I do remember the train on the Kresge Store's ceiling. For years, I thought I was imagining it, because there wasn't anyone who could remember it. My Mom would always take me there every Christmas and also to have a photo with Santa at Bambergers. Love the photo of the train with you and your brother. Thanks for the memory,
Elaine

Elaine Elaine
Jan '14

I don't shop in Kohls very often, but if I do, and I have a return, I check my receipt to see if it will cause me to lose the Kohls cash discount. It may not be worth returning the item.

I have also designed sales promotions. I have to think if every customer wants to break the rules of the promotion, it is a true annoyance. If you (not directed at anyone, just a general "you") want to break the program rules, so does everyone else in line behind you. Spend the extra 15 cents if that's what it takes to get to $10. Otherwise, how does the cashier know what the reasonable cutoff is? $9.90, maybe $9.50, or do we have to appease a customer whose total comes to $9.01?

@seriously done, just out of curiosity, did your items originally total $46.07, less a 15% coupon, It would have given you a discount of $6.91, for a total of $39.16, then when you told them you had Kohls cash, they adjusted back to the original amount of $46.07, took off your 40.00 in KC and gave you a credit of 15% on the $6.07, which would have been $.91, you would have owed them $5.16. Not being able to see the receipt, I'm guessing this is what happened but no one could explain it to you. I think Sunshine nailed it but I had to try using your numbers and see if it worked and it's pretty close,off a penny or two because of rounding.

Bessie Bessie
Jan '14

You do a "like" for "like" exchange and go up a size on the T shirt . Brand new Tees often feel tight when new but the neck slackens off when washed.

Grumpy Brit Grumpy Brit
Nov '15

Kohl's cash is a complicated thing. when you receive Kohl's cash on a purchases you get to spend it later. If you got a 10.00 off coupon then that is not returned to you. Exchange the item for the same price item, or try and return it without a receipt before it goes on a really good sale. There are no tricks to getting around Kohl's cash when you have used the coupon on another purchases. If you return the item that you used the Kohl's cash on, it goes onto an in store credit. Like I said it does get complicated. But there are ways around the system. And it you find a knowledgeable CS person they should have explained it to you better. This is one of the reasons why we can no longer use expired Kohl's cash. It all comes down to a matter of CS training, and understanding the confutation and this situation could have been avoided. I know that Kohl's pays more then minimum wage, and the CS workers hate Kohl's cash changes as much as the customers. I also know that there are some CS workers out there that need to be trained in CS, or should not be placed behind this counter, where I have stood for the last 5 and a half years. On the most part all the workers at Kohl's are friendly and helpful and are out to help the customer out.

Shiallia Shiallia
Nov '15

Shiallia, excellent summary for a confusing process. And I appreciate your very measured response to a rather volatile thread.

Chapín Chapín
Nov '15

My issue is if I buy $50 worth of stuff and use $10 coupon and go to return $25 shirt, they take the coupon off the returned shirt! That is not right. It should still remain for the other item i bought. I no longer give them my business. It is all a gimmick.

Hopeful Hopeful
Nov '15

Too complicated for me all those coupons - I hardly ever go there unless I am desperate!

Nature Lover Nature Lover
Nov '15

I will sometimes do two different orders if I have items I may need to return and kohls cash. If I have a $10 Kohls cash I will grab something that I am not returning and use the kohls cash for that. Then put everything else in a different order. I have some cahsiers tell me I don't need to do that, but I have learned it is all who is working in customer service if you have an issue or not. So to simplify my life I do it this way if I can. I don't think if I spend $60 and use $10 off coupon, and return a $10 item that the kohls cash should be partially deducted from it. I understand the % discount because that's on each item, and I am ok with that.

Sunshine Sunshine
Nov '15

Sunshine, thanks for the idea on the kohls cash. I never thought to do it that way.

Bessie Bessie
Nov '15

Keep up with your credit cards. I've posted a couple times this year about getting other peoples bills, because with the drop down screen, the people who process the new cards (probably in China or the Philippines), pick the wrong street name. It happened to us and put a ding on our credit report. We got the late fees removed, but told us we're responsible for calling and paying the credit bureaus to remove the "ding ". We fought with them on the phone until we got a supervisor who also gave us a hard time. I told them it was their mistake.... not mine, so they need to pay and correct the credit report. After much discussion, they finally gave in. Their mistake? Their responsibility! So if any of you guys go through this... don't back down.

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Nov '15

Kohls uses that kohls cash as a hook. My mom is addicted to shopping there, and getting "free" stuff with her kohls cash.

Problem is, she goes in to spend her 20 kohls cash, but spends $30+. It's a loop.

No one profits by returning items. Your wife is addicted to shopping. Addicts are good at coverups.

Funny lady Funny lady
Nov '15

No problem Bessie :) I also will just run in and grab some Godiva chocolate if I don't need anything but have Kohls cash. Yummy!! Plus it's in the front of the store so I don't get distracted and buy something I don't need lol.

Sunshine Sunshine
Nov '15

Ok, so I got this $50 sweater that my aunt got me at kohls for $25 there on clearance 50% off. They tell me they have to give me the lowest price they sold it for. They tell me they sold them at $8. Thats 84% off! Well i saw the same sweaters there, several of them as a matter of fact, still on clearance for 50% off. They scan at $25 at the kiosk! So how did they ever supposedly sell them for only $8! Thats a COMPLETE LIE! So the scam is they put the lowest price there ever willing to let it go down to, and thats what it scans at at the customer service desk! There is no way you would clearance out a sweater at $8 and they didn't sell so you go and put the CLEARANCE price back down to 50% off! I cut up my credit card in front of the district manager and told I will not be shopping at a store that does dishonest things to there customers! I understand having to set it at the lowest price sold for, or otherwise people would come with no receipt accepting a higher price. Target also does that, but they actually give you the REAL lowest price they sold it as.

Jill Pearson Jill Pearson
Jan '16

I just had the same issue , bought my mother 2 pairs of glove wanted to exchange and they said I would loose my k cash , I said wait I spent 165. And you want to take my k cash for a even exchange , I am so sick of this gimmick and will not be doing it anymore to frustrating , and when you want to purchase online shipping cannot be used for k cash and some items are not eligible for k cash , so I am done , just had enough of the agrivation , not worth it

Cowgirl1 Cowgirl1
Jan '16

This wouldn't be a problem ladies if you had the RECEIPT!

I returned a shirt with no problem. Yes they had to reduce my Kohls cash but I bought more so it went towards it again.

I personally think they should get rid of this gimmick and just sell at the lowest price. A win win for them and the customers. I had trying to keep track of my Kohls cash!

Christine Christine
Jan '16

Jill,

What don't you get? If at one point the sweater was on sale for $8 (just because now it's priced at $25 that doesn't mean it wasn't lower at some point) AND YOU CAN'T PRODUCE A RECEIPT proving you paid more than $8, then that's what you're entitled to.

Nothing dishonest on Kohls' part there. Lesson to learn for you and your aunt: Keep the receipt.

Oh, and if you don't want to appear illiterate...learn the difference between there, their, and they're.

JerryG JerryG
Jan '16

Every time this thread pops up again I know I'm in for a good read.
No receipt? Too bad, be happy they take your item back at all. Many stores won't, As for all the other complaints, don't shop at a store if you're not smart enough to do so. It's that simple...

Jan '16

I had my receipt and they said it would be better if they didn't use it so it didn't affect the k cash , so there is no consistancy

Cowgirl1 Cowgirl1
Jan '16

Several months a go, I purchased a few items and received ten dollars in Kohls cash. I ended up returning all items except for a $3 top! They wanted to return my money except for $10. I did not use my $10 Kohls cash. If I had it would have shown up in my purchasing history. I stood my ground after much yelling ( i think they heard me on the other side of the store) the manager finally took $10 out of a special cash box and gave it to me. I have learned never to buy anything that may have to be returned. I hate that store!

Jerry maybe you should learn the difference between being rude and tactful.

No need to put someone down, unless that makes you feel better about yourself...

positive positive
Jan '16

I think it's fair to pay a fair price for goods, or all these U.S. retail jobs will be lost.

I do have some complaints about Kohl's though:

1. They way overprice their products to convince you it's an "astounding" deal with their rock bottom prices. It's usually a "sound" deal for the quality of clothing. Sometimes not. Rarely astounding unless you get lucky. I.E. thinly crafted sweater for $85. Please! That's retail store nirvana. $25 at best so you still get a deal if on extreme clearance.

2. Their customer service is hit and miss. I have had promises about fixing problems with orders only to have some senior supervisor over the supervisor of the original customer service staff just say they wont honor any adjustments, even though recorded via phone as a condition of purchase. Bottomline: their managers are completely inconsistent. Horrible business practice.

3. Carefully monitor their prices on any items you want BEFORE your Kohl's cash becomes effective. In my experience, most sale items are now regular price. Hence the Kohls's Cash is just a wash. Use it on items that are constantly priced, such as major brands, and you may get some value.

4. Always search for coupon codes online. I've found a few obscure ones that help me forgive Kohl'$ for some of their behaviors.

Best of luck and call them on it if they are not fully helpful or explain why you alone do not get that special discount.

They are paying cents on the dollar for most clothing, so that is where they make their profits, I am guessing.

I still buy the clothes, it's all I can afford.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.