Photographic Equipment Thread

OK, I couldn't find one so I thought I would start one. We have a lot of great threads on photo themes but there isn't a dedicate spot for discussing equipment

(KeyboredSamurai inspired this thread based on this technology thread) :-)

Rules:
1) All are free to discuss any equipment questions you have...no question to big or small.
2) See #1...so newbies, don't be shy!

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '12

I'll start. In the "sunflower field" thread, "Some Guy (Art)" posted:

" I'm really hoping an ND grad.." so my question is:

Which one do you have? I've been considering one for years. I have a Cokin P holder that I bought for a buck or so a few years back. Never did anything with it.

The Singh Ray's (Galen Rowel set) are crazy expensive but they're all glass. The Cokin brand filters are plastic...which may or may not be a big deal except for the most critical eyes (eg not mine.) I don't know what material the Hitech brand is made up but it's about the same as the SR's.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '12

I have to admit I know nothing about the equipment....I completely rely on the references of others.

When people ask me about all the technical settings I took pics in and lenses I use....i have no idea.

I'm hoping to change this but I just can't get myself to take the time to read up on all the stuff I would rather just take pictures.

However, maybe this thread will help me get into knowing the technical side of photography

nosila nosila
Aug '12

Nosila - look at the EXIF data on your photos. You can "right click" and select "properties" to see what the settings are. Understanding the nuances of your camera will help you be more consistent.

Example - my camera, a Minolta Maxxum 7D (old) has terrible flash metering. It was a design flaw with the communication between the camera and flash. I never got it fixed but I understand I how the flaw operates and can adjust the camera settings accordingly.

For me, 99% of the time, if I'm outdoors, I always shoot in aperture priority mode with an ISO 100 setting. I let the camera select the shutter speed and I adjust the exposure and flash compensation accordingly.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '12

@emaxxman

Yeah, I use the Cokin P series Graduated ND filters; usually 0.9 (3 stop), but I have been eyeing the whole set (0.3, 0.6, and 0.9) cause you can stack them to exaggerate the effect and more preicsely control highlight regions (the P-series holder has 3 slots for filters).

Another couple reasons I chose the Cokin ones are:

1.) I've consistently read that the Cokin filter does not give a color cast in the ND part. I have not noticed any consistent color casts, either, so I'm inclined to agree with the reviews I've read.
2.) I like that you can move the filter around relative to the lens. With the fixed filter ring ND grads, you are stuck with where the graduation begins (dead center frame usually).

Like I was saying in the other thread, I just broke mine yesterday. Cracked off a good chunk of the clear part. I think I'm gonna get the whole set now, but that may be a couple weeks away before I can afford that. It's like $35 for each p-series filter.

Some Guy (Art) Some Guy (Art)
Aug '12

Guess I'm curious what people think of the tradeoffs between using equipment like graduated ND filters and alternative methods of managing high dynamic range scenes. Nothing against ND filters - I have several - but they are not graduated and are used mostly for DOF control when working in bright light.

Personally I and some of my photographer friends have found that the latest version of Adobe Camera Raw is significantly improved in the area of overall highlight recovery and control plus the latest Adjustment Brush in Adobe Lightroom 4 has some amazing capabilities to control and manipulate specific parts of the image - and it even provides an auto-mask capability so brushing one tonal area will not affect an adjacent different tonal area.

Finally there is HDR to manage the dynamic range. Now this can be applied with a heavy hand and look very overdone, but it's a great way to manage this issue.

So, I wonder how you see the usefulness of GND filters vs. software techniques. IMHO the GND technique tends to be the more "brute force" approach and the software approaches provide much more control.

@emaxxman

Thanks for the shout out!! And my tidbit towards the group if you're taking tons of photos, PLEASE, PLEASE. Purchase an external hard drive or a stack of CD/DVD's for backing them up. I can do data recovery in some respects but, memory cards, hard drives, and flash drives, if a drive is shot, nothing can be done. Please backup.

KeyboredSamurai KeyboredSamurai
Aug '12

Related ish: Who does the best film processing around. I can't do it myself and Snapfish abruptly stopped their service.

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Aug '12

Re: Photographic Equipment Thread

@RAD

Well, I'm using film, so slides almost require manual manipulation when taking the image as opposed to post processing. Negatives are very close to digital nowadays, but they do get a bit more range than digital (yes, even now) and better color transition and smoothness between midtones and shadow/highlight regions than digital capture. Search for something called "characteristic curves" to get you pointed in the right direction; here's some good reading on this stuff (even though it's about video): http://www.shutterangle.com/2012/cinematic-look-dynamic-range/

And as far as dynamic range management goes, new digital sensors have about +/- 2.5 useful stops when shot in raw, and if you go out of that range you lose significant amounts of the image detail (you get blown highlights/blocked shadows) - and once it's gone, no amount of post processing will get it back. And when you do increase exposure digitally, especially in shadow regions, you introduce noise and need to further process the image to reduce it's appearance.

I don't think comparing a straight up ND filter to a GND is a fair comparison, since they are used for very different purposes. Like you said, NDs are for DOF (aperture) control outside of the ability of the camera. GNDs are for contrast reduction to the point that you CAN get as much information from a scene into the camera's sensor as possible in a single exposure. It's like the following question: You've overexposed by one or two stops to get all the important shadow detail in the scene, but half your image is midday sky; what do you do with the 5-6 stop overexposed white sky? The camera didn't get any information since it was outside the capable range, even in RAW. HDR is the pretty much the only other option, but you need a tripod and some extreme post processing techniques for that, plus the experience to make the scene look natural and a non-moving subject. And may God help you if it's a windy day.

I'll take the GND to bring the highlights down to a level where my sensor can actually see get something, even if it requires post processing to bring it out. If the ND part covers non-highlight regions, they can easily be brought back up in post AND you get the highlights with controlled post processing techniques instead of shotgun-to-the-face HDR.

tl;dr - go buy a good GND and shit bricks when you see how much easier your post processing of high-contrast scenes becomes.

Aug '12

@Alpha1Beta

Since you're already sending out, Dwayne's in Kansas has my vote; they did me right on the Kodachrome I sent them.

http://www.dwaynesphoto.com/

Locally, you are limited to:
1.) Wal-mart sendaway (Fuji NY - good film processing, awful crappy prints and scans, plus they won't do anything less than standard dev+print for C-41, and your slides will ALWAYS be mounted.)
Costs (for 36 exp rolls): C-41 $10 min with one shitty set of throw-away prints; E-6 $8 all mounted in a little plastic box; B&W $more than C-41, same print situation as C-41
2.) Walgreens 1hr - yeah they do C-41 in 1 hour, and its $5 for develop only, but they negs are ALWAYS scratched to shit.
3.) CVS in Budd Lake does 1 hour C-41 last I checked, but I haven't been over there in a long while.
4.) Most big-name pharmacies plus shop rite do sendaway I think...but I can't attest since I don't use them right now...

Aug '12

Nosila - now that you have the 7D, you'll become much more in touch with what settings you are using and how they affect your output. Put the camera on M mode and start shooting that way for a while - trust me, it will be worth it for you.

3wb said "great timing" in another thread... do you have a shoot coming up?? Like a wedding or newborn babies etc.???

Does anyone else shoot on manual-everything mode, always? It's the only mode I use.

As for filters/brands - I only use B+W and Heliopan filters. If you've got a good lens, you can completely negate the high quality by slapping a cheap filter on it. Def. not worth it.

I agree that post-processing software is unbelievable these days, and can almost replace filters.... but not quite. If you want to get the soft water of a waterfall, and need a long exposure, I don't see how you can really even do that without an ND filter of several stops. Also, I do find that polarizing filters sometimes tweak the light and colors better than even LR can, and how can you remove water reflection in post-processing? Is that even possible? Probably another example where a filter (polarizing) would be indispensable.

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '12

Art - this is the set I'm looking at...a little bit cheaper than $35 a filter:
http://www.amazon.com/Cokin-H250-P-Series-Grad-Kit/dp/B000A40M22/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=N115ITUPTFT9&coliid=I1Y672SZ6PU1NI

Still expensive though.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '12

RAD - HDR is great from what I have seen. My wife's iPhone 4s has an HDR function and it's amazing. I can't imagine how well it works on a higher end DSLR. Sadly, for me, my camera doesn't support it.

I should also add that despite my being a computer geek who assembles his own PC's, I find photo editing on the PC laborious and boring. I try to do as little as I can and to be honest, I'm not very good at either. It's really something I should dedicate to mastering more.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '12

Emaxxman - That's not a bad price. Maybe I'll get those. Thanks.

Aug '12

AlphaBeta - easily hands down, the best place locally (since we don't have a camera shop dedicated to handling professional needs) is Sam's Club.

Sam's uses a Fuji Frontier machine. It is calibrated to Fuji films but handles Kodak films very well. I used to get great amazing results with Fuji Superia Reala 100 and NPH 400 as well as Kodak Supra 800. Supra was known for its saturation but also high contrast (like so many 800 speed films were.)

The key to the Frontier is that it digitally scans all films prior to printing and then exposes traditional photo paper using color lasers. You get vibrant pics with shadow detail (often lost) on vibrant Fuji paper (at least that is what they used to use ... haven't had a print made in years.)

The Noritsu at Costco uses similar technology but it just isn't as vibrant. Hazy is how I would describe the prints when compared to the Frontier.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '12

Sam's stopped film processing (Mount Olive, anyway). No more in-store, and then they even stopped send away a year and a half ago or so.

Aug '12

"3wb said "great timing" in another thread... do you have a shoot coming up?? Like a wedding or newborn babies etc.???"

Not sure....I have a friend due in Sept that I will be doing new born shoot for. Oh and another one in October which I can't wait as fall pictures are BEAUTIFUL. Not sure if I ever shared this newborn shoot I did. Everyone keeps asking me if I will ever actually start charging. The answer is I have no idea as my full-time job takes a lot of my time. However, I should look into what is needed to do so.

http://alison-anne-photography.blogspot.com/2012_07_01_archive.html

nosila nosila
Aug '12

Wow - they stopped developing , huh. Shame but understandable. I'm sure the chemicals were just sitting around at this point.

Anyone know where I can get Adobe color profiles for the printers at Sam's?

I did recently get a poster-sized print (of the flower buds I posted in the macro thread). It was OK. The shadow detail was almost non-existent (almost black where it should have had green highlights.) I'm sure I don't have the correct color profile.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '12

The only use you'd have for a color profile is if you wanted to do soft proofing, and for that you'd really need a color-calibrated monitor. When you send for prints almost anywhere, use the sRGB color profile in the image. The problem with too-dark prints is usually a monitor that is too bright (most LCD monitors). Here's what you could do to match to the printer:

1.) Go to your computer and set up the whole room the way you normally work (turn on all usual light sources).
2.) Let your monitor warm up for 10 or so minutes.
3.) Get your too-dark print and put it up next to your monitor
4.) Go into the monitor adjustment settings dialog, record original settings, then start moving around the brightness/contrast/gamma sliders until the image on your screen looks like the print
5.) Make a new curves layer and adjust the RGB curve (the black-lined one) until you get the picture looking like what you want.
5b.) Save this curve as something like "curve for prints from XXXXX" or something similar.
6.) Return monitor to original configuration
7.) Before you print, apply your saved curve to your final image and save as .jpg file with sRGB color profile.

Aug '12

Thanks Art!

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '12

If you want large black and white prints go to Staples and get their Engineer prints 4ft x3ft $4.99

nosila nosila
Aug '12

There's Chester camera shop which is really more picture frames than anything and something in clinton. I guess i gotta make a run down that way sometime soon.

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Aug '12

Question - how do you access the EXIF data for a posted image? When I right-click, I'm not getting a properties option on the menu. Do you have to save the image first to your computer??

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '12

Some websites have the ability to support viewing EXIF data directly on the page. For HL, you have to download the file first.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '12

Thanks, emaxx.

Question #2 - when you buy a new Canon lens, it doesn't come with a registration card anymore?? Just a card that says Register Now at www.registercanon.com ?? Or am I missing something here?

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '12

Rebecka - That's only because "properties" is a Windows function and not a browser function. Use Firefox and download the FxIF plugin. You will then have an option on any image that says FxIF data. Right down to the GPS coordinates if it was taken with a phone. ;-)

Thank you, GC. I didn't realize that right-clicking in different programs... well, nevermind, I'm not going to display my technical ignorance on a public forum. ;-)

Anyone want a photo walk sometime soon?

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '12

I'd be up for a photowalk sometime on a weekend, preferrably a Sunday (kiddo's got cheerleading 4 nights a week now ~_~)

Aug '12

Rebecka: Im on.

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Aug '12

I'm in!!!

nosila nosila
Aug '12

Anyone ever use a Spyder to calibrate a monitor?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '12

I need some advice as to shooting under stadium lights, particularly sporting events. What setting does everyone, (if anyone) use on a digital professional camera? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The pics I have taken in the past of sporting events under stadium lights have been mostly blurry during action shots.

Tigermo
Aug '12

Tigermo - What stadium (a pro stadium is a lot different vs. a HS stadium?) What sport?

Pro photographers used to use manual focus cameras for auto racing and got sharp pics so modern equipment should be more than good enough. It's just a matter of preparation and composing.

Make sure you have a high shutter speed (1/250 to 1/500 sec will stop motion).
Use a flash if allowed (it will stop almost all motion.)
Fast lenses (f/2.8 max aperture) will help a lot...they tend to be better designed and therefore have faster gearing.
If there is plenty of light, manually pre-focus on a spot, increase the aperture for greater depth of field, and then shoot when the action moves into that location (the technique used by pros during the manual focus equipment days.)
Pan the camera with the action.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '12

Thanks, EMAXXMAN. I will be taking pics for football at H.S. Stadiums. I actually do have a f/2.8 lense, so I am going to give that a try. I will also play around with the shutter speed. Wish me luck!

Tigermo
Aug '12

That's a great question tigermo - I have the same problem! Thanks for the answer.. I will need luck as all but one of West Morris Centrals games are at night.

Firefly Firefly
Aug '12

3wb - you should have been there on Sunday. RAD showed us his X-rite Colorchecker Passport, and explained how he uses it to calibrate color, from in the field to monitor (via Lightroom plug-in I believe), and then calibrates his printer using manufacturer settings.

Not inexpensive, but I am def ordering one of these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/867211-REG/X_Rite_CMUNDISCCPP_X_Rite_Colormunki_Display.html

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '12

tigermo - for HS games, since they're not "professionally" televised, I would shoot wide open (f/2.8), iso 800, set the camera to "continuous focus", and continuous shot mode. Bring lots of memory cards. For an amateur like myself, if I get 1 good shot out of several hundred, it's a good day.

Nick Scalera (a teacher at the middle school) shoots sports. Hopefully he sees this and chimes in.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '12

Tigermo: shooting under stadium lights - or any low light action scenes - 1) start with mounting your camera on a sturdy tripod to eliminate that source of motion, 2) set your shutter speed high enough to stop the motion, 3) use as high an ISO setting as necessary to reasonably well exposed images. You should be in manual mode on your camera.

Now realistically you could still fall short after doing the above if the lighting is really horrible. High ISO's are going to introduce lot's of digital noise - but with today's tools you should be able to handle a lot of that in post. The current version Lightroom does a very good job at noise reduction - and there are several other tools that will do a creditable job on noise reduction

Someone suggested manual focus and that too might help a lot.

Finally, techniques like panning the camera on the main target might help - of course the background is going to be smeared. But it can create some very nice action images.

I need help fixing up a picture due to dust on the sensor (I think...I haven't narrowed it down yet.) Aside from painstakingly cloning the blemishes out in Photoshop, is there a way to do 85% or more of the work with an "action" in PS?

99% of the time, my pics don't have such bright backgrounds so the dust wasn't noticeable. The bright sky brought these to light.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '12

As far as I know there is no one-step action in PS. This is a snap to fix with the clone tool, though - not painstaking (at least not for me). If you want, email me the file, and I'll correct for lens distortion too if you like, and email you back the file, or you should be able to do this in 10 mins or less.... I would think.

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '12

@emaxxman

There is no automatic dust removal that comes with photoshop. There are some softwares that claim to be able to eliminate dust, but they are often tricked into removing detail as well. To really do it right, just suck it up and use the healing brush tool. I do this to ALL my images since film, especially comercially processed film, picks up all sorts of dust that even canned air can't get rid of. I can usually eliminate all the dust in an image that looks like yours in about 20 minutes at this point, so it probably won't take you more than 40. And if your image isn't worth those 40 minutes, then maybe it's not even worth displaying. (not trying to be mean here, guys)

Also, get a sensor cleaning! It looks like you have some dirt in your camera.-------^

Aug '12

OK, I'll just suck it up and use the clone tool (see, told you I was impatient with post processing.) Thanks Rebecka for the offer. I'll give it a shot first -- if I get too frustrated, I'll take you up on your offer.

Art - I think you have some fungus or moss growing out of your lenses. :-)

So, who/where do you guys recommend for a good sensor cleaning? I've done it few times in the past with just a small blower brush. I'll do it again but if I can't get all of the dust out, I'll pay for a professional cleaning.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '12

Hi Tigermo - emaxxman is correct, I cover local sports including night football.

It's a lot of trial & error, especially once you move past the 30 yard line to the end zone - it's very dark at most HS fields. High-ISO is a must, 1600+ & you can fix the noise in post-production as RAD noted. You'll find that the stadium lights give off different shades of light as they cycle. See example of white balance:
http://www.sportsshooter.com/guyrhodes/wbtests/pages/3.html

I shoot with a monopod so I am able to get the heck out of the way since I cover games from the sidelines. That holds a 70-200 mm 2.8 & I typically have either a 50mm 1.8 or 17-50mm 2.8 around my neck when the action gets in too close.

I use wireless flash & sometimes also set up a wide-angle camera in the end-zone that I can trigger remotely.

It's a lot of fun - best of luck to you!

Nick Scalera

Nick Scalera Photo Nick Scalera Photo
Aug '12

Anyone know how to use a vintage (60s I think) Leica film rangefinder cam? I inherited one and am totally clueless. It belonged to a pro photog collector and is minty and supposed to work. But not in my hands it doesn't.

I looked online how to load film and supposedly use the thing, but when I tried, and took the film to get developed - all blank negatives, so apparently I got something just a bit wrong.

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '12

Also - just found a Mamiya U rangefinder in the box of inherited goodies.

And some apparently large format film stuff.

No idea what the heck I'm going to do with this... not at all into film.

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '12

Rebecka,

We used to use Leica 35mm cameras when I was a Navy photographer. Not sure how much I'd remember but willing to try.

RAD (and Art, too) - if you're interested in borrowing / using any of this film stuff - please let me know. It's just been sitting in a big box in my office for months. There may be more than one large format camera - wasn't even sure what I was looking at. In any case, PM me if you'd like to come over and have a look at the gear!

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '12

My father had a Leica that developed light leak before going to a Minolta range finder in the early 70's. I don't think I want to inherit that at all, too much "stuff" already. But anyone who wants to know how to use it, I'm very familiar with those. I had a used Canon QL when I was 12 and it seemed like it lasted forever. Just a loose screw and the aperture ring came loose. That had the wire to the meter, which snapped, and wasn't worth it then without the built in meter.

Personally, eBay the Mamiya, not worth the price of one roll of film through it. Now if it was an old medium format, that I'd like to play with. It was the not so rich man's Hasseldingle. I don't say poorman because they were still $3000 in the days of $200 professional cameras. But at least it wasn't $10,000. I remember passing on Mamiya DLR - those were pretty bad.

Ah, Rebecka, those old Leica's aren't worth anything. Plus yours sounds broken. I'll take it off your hands. ;) Which model is it?

Aug '12

Art, Mr. Film, you should just come over and look through these boxes.

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '12

Sandrian in clinton sends black and white film out now. Not an impressive turn around on color but the sounds of it.

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Aug '12

I was at Sandrian last saturday. They quoted 2-day turnaround on C-41.

Aug '12

OH MAN!!! This is great!!!! Right now in my camera bags i have a canon ae-1 with a 28,50 and 70-205mm lens.A Minolta srt202 also with a 28,50,and 70-200.@ polaroid land cameras,! is a 210 and the other is a 360.A Rollicord v k3c that i shoot my 120 on and lastly my Graflex Crown Graphic 4x5 with a 120 and polaroid back. just skimming threw the tread i saw @Alpha1Beta had mentioned something about walmart send away.I send out all my 120 threw them.It takes just about 2 weeks and they come out awesome.I shoot alot of b&w and found thay they charge a bit more then i remember,So i started chooting c-41 b&w and get it processed at the walgreens on 57 and it comes out good.

Not sure if this was brought up but would any of you be up for a photo walk some time?

mattyV mattyV
Aug '12

Rebecka,Do you still have the large format camera stuff?

mattyV mattyV
Aug '12

Keep the large format stuff and dress up as Ansel Adams for Halloween.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '12

@mattyV - I do still have it, but have offered it to Art to look at. He is coming over tomorrow. I know Art personally through this forum (and our photo walks) so I will let him have first dibs at it if he would like to borrow it and use it for a while. Not even sure what it is, so it might be cool or it might be useless. It was part of a pro photog's collection which I inherited. Mostly the collection consists of really high-quality Nikon glass, which is just fab, because I shoot Canon. There are also some F5 (I think that's the model) cameras, and other Nikon bodies... probably destined for eBay unless someone local wants them.

I would def be up for a next photo walk.

@emaxx - if dressing up like Ansel meant I could shoot like him, I'd be there in a heartbeat!

Other photographers both pro and enthusiasts - why not post links to some of your recent work if you have it online? Would love to see more from all the creative and talented people right in our area!

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '12

Rebecka - old Leica 35mm cameras may be valuable. Leica M2 cameras are going for $400 thru $1000 or more on ebay. Depends on condition.

Rebecka: Here is what an extremely reputable used photo equipment retailer is asking for used Leica film cameras.

http://www.keh.com/Camera/format-35mm/system-Leica-M/category-Camera-Bodies?s=1&bcode=LM&ccode=2&cc=80198&r=WG&f

Unless you have evidence to the contrary, anything with the Leica name may be valuable.

Holy cow - some inoperative vintage cameras going for hundreds on KEH? Surprising.

I know this person had some good items in his collection. Just not sure which of the items they are! KEH might be a great place to just send things off to, and have some money towards gear I'll actually use.

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '12

Rebecka: You can get a good idea what stuff is worth at retail from KEH. And one thing I've noticed in my purchases from them is that are very conservative in how they specify the equipment condition ratings. I've received stuff that was rated EXC (Excellent) and I would swear it was new. Even their bargain stuff is worth a look.

I love keh.com. My 50mm cost $29 and it is flawless.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '12

You've sure got some nice stuff there, Rebecka.

I've looked around a bit, and that Leica you've got is worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $600-700 for the body alone.

The lens you have on the Leica is also pretty valuable in mint condition; the picture quality however seems to be on par with Leica lenses. Here's a linky:
http://www.antiquecameras.net/canonrflens.html
Yours is the 35mm F2.0. That's my favorite focal length/aperture combo on my FD equipment right now, btw. It's a great little setup you have there.

The Kodak Brownie you have (if I recall correctly) was a No. 2, more info on those can be found here:
http://www.brownie-camera.com/53.shtml
That page has some good info on all the other brownie models too if I have remembered incorrectly - you can check by opening the camera again and looking at the stamped metal. If it is that camera, you can easily get 120 size film for it from Adorama, B&H, and Unique Photo.

Based on E-bay searchin' there doesn't seem to be much demand for the Yashica CC, probably $100 or less on that one.

KEK wants less than $100 for a new RB67 body like I was saying. I am not sure if the body is actually broken, though because I haven't ever played around with one. Read about the problem; we may just be missing a lever or something. I've attached a focal length conversion chart to this post so you know how long those lenses are in a format you're used to.

And finally, here are some links to my flickr with those sunstars I was talking about from the Olympus rangefinder I've got:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thegodlyme/7251086372/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thegodlyme/7258610288/

Thanks for letting me take a look!

Aug '12

Some Guy (Art): Here is one of those test images I took with your daughter in it behind the church on Mt. Bethel Rd.

Welcome to the switch from film to digital. Cheap $40 dumb light box bodies and solid glass benchmark optics $400 lenses gives way to full developer's light studio in your hands $400 used bodies and cheap $40 plastic throw away lenses.

@RAD. Haha! She looks like such a creeper strolling through a graveyard like that.

@Rebecka. And because I forgot before, the website for new camera leathers for the Leica is www.cameraleather.com You can buy the leather from them and DIY or send them your camera, let them replace the leather, and get it back looking SPECTACULAR. That place has a pretty good reputation, too. Search some reviews to see for yourself.

Aug '12

@Art - I can't thank you enough for all the time you gave me yesterday explaining the different types and formats of cameras, and how I (or someone!) might actually use them. Can't wait to get the pics back from the roll we put through the Leica. Please let me know if you change your mind about testing it out for real on your own.

Those sunburst shots you posted are amazing. I especially like the first one. Now that's processing done correctly! Desaturating the greens puts that image over the top IMHO. Awesome.

Guess what I found out yesterday - what Jeff (whose photo equip we came into) mostly shot his landscapes with was all Hasselblad gear!! Apparently he sold *that* gear before he died. Damn!!! Now that stuff would have been fun to "play" with.

@RAD - love the atmospheric shot you posted.... but that is one crazy font you've got going on in your watermark! Is it called 'Psychedelic 60's?' ;-D

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '12

Rebecka: My watermark font is Batavia - LOL

OK, I fixed up the photo with the dust spots. I used the healing tool and clone tool. Took quite a bit to get used to them (thank God for the history window.)

I then tweaked the levels and played around with the saturation a bit. Adjusting the levels intensified the blue quite a bit so there wasn't much adjustment on the saturation needed. Unless I'm going for an off the wall look or converting to sepia, I try to keep the colors natural.

I would appreciate any feedback you're willing to give regarding the healing/spot removal. Be brutally honest if you want (feedback is the only way we can learn.)

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '12

@emaxxman

-Photoshop
-Filter
-Distort
-Lens Correction
-Remove Distortion Slider +4.50 to +5.50 (to taste)
-Crop out white on edges

Not bad on the colors.

Aug '12

emaxx: looks great! You'd never know there were spots in the shot. Colors are rich but not overdone. You nicely improved contrast and clarity. I love the way you give all the attention to that massive cloud in this shot, which really looms over the coastline. It's so imposing. Just correct the distortion (you can see it via the coastline sinking a bit in the middle) and buy a frame!

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '12

Thanks Art and Rebecka! Will do.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '12

Since we seem to be giving C&C in this thread, maybe you all could tell me what you think of this?

I'm having mixed feelings about it; mostly because the original effect was mistakenly created in Photoshop, but I went with it and ended up with what you see.

I'll be the first to say it's highly experimental and may or may not be pleasing to all viewers. Just want to find out what people think.

And if you all want to know HOW it was done:
Take image into photoshop - get colors and sharpness where they would normally be for a regular picture - duplicate layer - create layer mask on top layer - fill mask with neutral grey - lens blur top layer (the one with the mask) until desired effect is achieved. To sharpen a part of the photo, make a selection where you want sharpness - make mask layer active - paint bucket fill with black in feathered selection area.

After that I just played with it until I liked it/got tired of looking at it.

Aug '12

HA HA, yeah maybe I should have started a "technique thread" too.

Regarding the pic, I like the "blurred" look of the sunflowers. It gives the picture a sense of motion, like the wind was blowing hard. The exposure and colors are very pleasing as well.

To be honest, I'm not too crazy of the one "sharp" flower. I feel it gets lost in the pic (I didn't see it at first) and after you notice it, it "interrupts" the flow of the movement of the other flowers.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '12

Really cool effect, Art - I am going to try it. It looks like an artistic wind effect. Thanks for letting us know how you did it.

Can't wait to see your Leica work! :-)

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '12

DH got a new camera over the weekend, and he's been raving about the IQ. So I said, great - why not send me a pic? And this is what he sent me. About a 95% crop of his original image, with a stupid caption on our poor cat. So much for an illustration of the camera's IQ. (He got the D700. He's an incorrigible Nikon user. Sigh.)

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '12

Advice please, fellow shutterbugs!

I would like to purchase a rugged smaller (non-interchangeable lens, most likely) camera, to carry around when I'm not lugging the big camera.

Thoughts? Heard anything good about a particular new model? Or do you have one you love?

Image quality and still being able to control everything manually (ISO, shutter speed, etc.) are the most important factors for me, in addition to being able to take it out in drizzle, not worrying about dropping it, etc.

Budget is about $500.

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '12

I've been impressed with the Sony NEX line of mirrorless cameras. Here's a roundup of the different models available. Canon has one coming out soon. I'm not sure how rugged they are though (but is anything really that rugged when compared to a pro-level DSLR?)

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/8986630048/mirrorless-roundup-2011

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '12

@Rebecka
I think that F5 you have is weather sealed. XD

But as far as indestructable fixed-lens cameras, you pretty much have to follow the same guidelines as other point and shoots. For image quality, I'd get a Canon, and for the control aspect put CHDK on it (link: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK ). If you want some other fluff, you could look at the new Pentax Optio WG (WG-2 is the new one) series point and shoots. They have a built-in ring light for super-macro and are pretty much destruction-proof.
Link: http://www.pentaximaging.com/digital-camera/Optio_WG-2_Vermillion_Red/

As far as IQ and control, well, it's a Pentax (which is a Ricoh company now); but it's probably the one I'd get for such a purpose.

Aug '12

If I had a Canon SLR system, I would buy this P&S in a heartbeat.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonG12/2

My brother has the G5 and the pics are/were amazing for a camera of its class and time. Has aperture/shutter priority, manual focus, shoot RAW, and the best feature IMO...it can use the same flashes as the EOS system.

As mentioned earlier, the new mirrorless cameras are interesting. Here is Canon's:
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-m/

Uses EOS flashes, has the manual control you want, and with a special adapter, can even use your EOS lenses --- SWEET!!! Imagine whipping out this compact with your soon-to-be-purchased 500mm attached to it!

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '12

I like the S90-100something series that Canon makes. F/2 lens and a programmable ring around the lens so the controls are where someone with an SLR will expect to find them. Same sensor as the G-series, too. (and without all the added bulk) And when would someone with an SLR mount a speedlight onto a p&s? It's all about fast lenses and high-iso performance in that class. If you're gonna mount a flash, you might as well get full control through the lens.

I like the EOS-M simply because it can easily mount currently available lenses. That's where Nikon will lose out with the J/V series.

Aug '12

Rebecka A point and shoot or DSLR or 4/3s camera?

I have the olympus stylus though 6020, waterproof, dropproof, everything proof. Its a great little beast and under $200. Newer models available too.

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Aug '12

If anyone is interested in the Canon Powershot S90 I will sell my lightly used S90 to an HL'er for $150. I've been leaving it in my car to be sure I always have a camera available, but it's clear now that I really never use it. You can try before buy. Consists of camera, battery, charger, and case. Everything works and it is cosmetically in excellent condition.

Can anybody recommend a good basic lens upgrade for a Canon DLSR Rebel?

I just have the basic 'kit' lens (18-55mm?) that came with it, along with a telephoto lens (nothing fancy, can't recall the range). Is there a good 'next step' lens I should look at that has similar characteristics? A fixed 50mm lens sounds like it may be a good step, but in the end I'd love to have one or two good lenses with variable ranges where I don't have to keep switching between them too much.

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Aug '12

D-Man - budget??

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '12

One follow-up to my question posted about pocket cameras:

Can anyone think of a reason to stick with the Canon brand (which my DSLR is) - or should I be open to any brand small camera?

Emaxx you seemed to imply that you would go with a Canon point-and-shoot if that's what your DSLR was... but maybe you would hesitate because you shoot non-Canon?

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '12

Rebecka - I was hoping to only spend a few hundred, but in quick searches on Amazon, I'm not sure if that's possible. So, lets just open things up to what people would suggest. I do understand the 'glass' is the investment portion of the camera, so maybe I can improve my budget a bit.

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Aug '12

Rebecka - poor choice of words on my part.

To clarify, I know you own Canon EOS lenses/cameras so I thought it would be a great fit with the manual control you want, quality, and expandability. I would not go with just any Canon point and shoot either. What I like about those two models is that they seem to be an extension of the EOS system. The new M-mirrorless camera has the ability to use your existing EOS lenses. While I was joking about putting a 500mm on the camera, putting a high quality 28mm or 35mm lens is not that all unthinkable.

I bought into the Minolta system and love it. The Maxxum 7 and 7D (DSLR) were some of the best cameras for the money across any brand. Unfortunately, the brand was sold to Sony. While Sony has done some nice things, the prices are ridiculous and lens lineup now is either top end pro level prices or poor consumer quality. I would pick EOS if I could do it over again.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '12

Thank you, emaxx, for all the info!

D-man, for your budget, I would recommend going with a prime lens. They are sharper than zoom lenses, and if you're looking to improve your image quality and still stay within your budget, it will be the best way to go IMHO. Very good quality zooms are quite expensive.

The reach of the prime lens you choose should depend on what kind of photography you plan to do most with it. A good choice to consider might be the 50mm 1.4.

Also - do not hesitate to look at other brands than Canon! Tokina and Tamron make some great glass.

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '12

Hi everyone!

my very first post so take it easy on me...

I have been taking photos for about 3 years now. I have owned the Canon 7d, 5d and 5d mkii....

now I shoot with the Fuji X-Pro. I love it. the image quality is amazing and the colors are great. Pictures do not need post processing. The downside is that the body is fairly expensive but the lenses are amazing in prices.

a 35mm 1.4 on a canon or nikon would run you close to $1500... the Fuji is $600.

They are coming out with a new body in October I believe which uses the same lenses but it's a more affordable body.

Canon, Nikon, Minolta, Sony, Fuji... all great names and take amazing photos.

Rebecka,

Love your website and photos!

Jiro

D-man - if you're looking for a "good value" zoom lens to fill in the gap between what you have now, I would look at the 28-135mm lens. It's a highly regard "consumer level" zoom. The max aperture is a little slow but the built in image stabilization and ability to change the ISO to 800 or more should make up for that.

The next step up would be a 17-40L or a 24-105L lens. Both are significantly more money - even when purchased used.

I'm with Rebecka on the recommendation for the prime lens though. I have a 50mm f/1.7 lens and it is easily one of the best purchases I ever made ($29 used!) It's a cheap investment that you can learn on but will never outgrew its usefulness.

If you decide to go with a used version, don't hesitate to go with KEH.COM. They are very reputable and very conservative in their grading system. My lens was in "EX" condition and there wasn't a single mark on it. Also make sure you go for the first generation model...it is more durable and has a metal mount. Later generations had more plastic.

http://www.keh.com/camera/Canon-EOS-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-CE06999042955N?r=FE

http://www.keh.com/camera/Canon-EOS-Zoom-Lenses/1/sku-CE07999033923J?r=FE

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '12

@D-man:
First, what type of things do you like to shoot? Landscapes? Children? Posed portraits? Street? You can see where I'm going here...

For just general all-around shooting, I second emaxxman's opinions. 50mm f/1.8 (the plastic fantastic) or the 28-135mm.
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-28-135mm-3-5-5-6-Standard-Cameras/dp/B00006I53S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346357063&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+28-135
BTW, getting a fast lens, even f/1.8, is a big step from kit lenses and consumer zooms. You will get much better low-light performance and you will get the very shallow DOF that all the pros are using nowadays :p

Aug '12

@ Rebecka:

I put a roll through the Leica this week at my daughter's cheer practice. Thought you may be interested to see how it came out - photo attached.

Also, credit where credit is due; Walgreens did the development, and it was very good this time - no scratches, minimal dust, and just a few fingerprints I was able to wipe away with a clean lens cloth. And there was a coupon this week that made develop-only $3.99/roll. It was so good, I've given them 7 rolls in the past 3 days and I may give them 3-5 more today (damn, I've been shooting a lot lately) :p

Aug '12

All - Excuse my grammar in my previous posts...sheesh!

Art - Just curious...why do you still shoot with film? Even though I still have a Maxxum 7 film camera (which I loved shooting Reala and NPH with), not having to develop and scan film anymore is a great convenience. I'm not judging - we all should continue to do what makes us happy - I'm just genuinely curious.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '12

emaxxman, I've been thinkin about that a lot lately, too, mostly because all the films I use or have wanted to try are going away (Kodak slides - E6 and K14, Efke, possibly all Kodak film, Lg format Velvia, etc...). I've been thinking a lot lately about why I still shoot film, even though I could "afford" full frame digital and a few lenses at this point. The conclusion that I've come to is as follows:

I like film better than digital.

The question as to why I like it better is tougher to answer. I could say the colors, I could say the latitude, I could say the price ($20 for a full-frame camera w/ lens + $15/roll of film w/ developing vs. $3000 full frame camera + computer to actually store, edit, and view photos + expensive autofocus junk lenses with built-in lifespans), I could say the transitions between light and dark are smoother, and I could say a lot of other things.

But what really keeps me shooting film is simplicity. I can pick up my tool, change 2 dials with numbers printed directly on them, turn the focus ring, and take photos. I don't have to fumble with menus, af options, metering modes, and pretty much all the other technology that new cameras have that tell me what MY memories should look like. Then when I'm done taking the photos, I can either put the film in a can and shake it around with some liquid or drop it off/send it out to have it developed by a minilab (which really just shakes it around with some liquid for me). When I get the film back, especially slides, I can hold the tangible photograph up to the sun and see into the past without the aid of computers, or monitors, or artificial lighting. And in the future if I or others want to see what I have seen, they will only have to find my book of slides and films that I've kept and hold those up to the sky as well. They (or I) will not have to fumble with file formats, digital rot, incompatibility, corrupt files, or any of that b/s that comes with digital.

Shoot, develop, enjoy. Simple.

Aug '12

@Art - SO happy the Leica is performing well for you - thanks for posting some shots you've taken. Someone in heaven is smiling, knowing that camera is being loved and used.

Question for you: where can we buy good film locally to start putting some rolls through a few of our bodies - is there anywhere? (And excuse my ignorance but... is Fuji Velvia no longer being made?) DH and I were pawing through the boxes of film bodies and lenses yesterday and finally said - we should play with some of this stuff!

@Jiro - you owned some nice Canon bodies before switching to Fuji. Do you have a website with your images, or could you post some? Would love to see some Fuji work. I can't imagine I would ever switch (although you make a compelling argument with gear prices!) but now you've got me curious.

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '12

@Rebecka, at this point, all the film that's left is pretty good. Target, walmart, walgreens, cvs, etc... all sell kodak 200/400/maybe 800 or fuji 200/400/maybe 800 which are all fine films. Most times, the store brand films are either Kodak or Fuji, too. The two shots I just posted were Fuji 200. If you want to get a little better, Sandrian in Clinton has Kodak Gold 100, and CVS right here in Hackettstown has Tri-X 400 (a classic real black and white film). Sandrian also has Fuji Provia 100f slide film, which is a great all-around pro slide film. Other than that, you are limited to Unique Photo on Route 46 in Fairlawn, which has almost everything; they also have 120/220 film for the medium format/brownie and they have larger stuff, too (4x5, 8x10, and even larger sometimes) or the internet at places like adorama, B&H, or Freestyle photo.

www.uniquephoto.com
www.adorama.com
www.bhphotovideo.com
www.freestylephoto.biz

And no, they have not stopped making Velvia completely. They stopped 100f (which I disliked anyway - If you want a couple rolls from my freezer, you can have them), and stopped making Velvia 50 in large format. Kodak doesn't make slide films anymore at all. And don't trust store prints/scans - they are usually terrible.

Also, this:

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/05/18/how-to-scan-film-negatives-with-a-dslr/

Aug '12

You are a font of information, Art!! We'll be picking up some film this w/e. ---> Why do you not like Fuji Velvia 100??

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '12

Now that was cool scanning article!!!

Emaxxman Emaxxman
Aug '12

". I can pick up my tool, change 2 dials with numbers printed directly on them, turn the focus ring, and take photos. I don't have to fumble with menus, af options, ..."

That's why I still shoot with my Minolta DSLR. All "film" related settings are set via dials. I can look at the camera and immediately tell what the settings are.

Emaxxman Emaxxman
Aug '12

@Rebecka, I have not tried Velvia 100 - I have heard it's fantastic. I dislike Velvia 100f (they are different films). I don't like how 100f renders colors. It's not super-saturated like the 50, but it blows out the same way with highlights/shadows and it still makes people too red. Plus it's only 1 stop faster than 50, so I might as well get the real deal since I'll probably be using the tripod already.

And if you want to see what I've done with different films, I usually tag the photos on my flickr stream with the types of film that was used to capture them (at least the more recent ones...)

@emaxxman: I can't tell you how much I hate those unmarked control dials. Having to hold down a button and turn an unmarked click-wheel drives me crazy.

Aug '12

@ART - Oh! - I didn't know that you were referring to a different film than the 100 - hadn't heard of 100f. Can you post your flikr link or send me it again?.

@emaxx - why have you never come on one of our photo walks??

@both of you film geeks - I LOVE my unmarked wheels and whirly knobs, so there! ;-)

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '12

Clicking my name on here should take you to my flickr page...

Sep '12

Um yes... why yes it does (muttering duh directed at myself).

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '12

No unmarked dials here my friend.

WARNING: Modern DSLR shooters, please avert your eyes. The button/dial count may overload your senses. :-P

emaxxman emaxxman
Sep '12

Not to point out the obvious, emaxx, but there is one in front of the shutter button and one on the back of the camera in line with the strap lug. Also no shutter speed dial I can see, only E/V adjustment, which I'm betting means you need to set the mode you want, then either look at the screen or through the viewfinder to see what shutter you have set and you'll probably need to click one of the unmarked wheels to change it.

I do like that the camera has an actual dial for the shooting mode (single, continuous, timer) instead of burying it in the menu. I showed someone that continuous shooting trick a couple days ago and they had no idea such a thing existed.

Also, cross-post: http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/451838
Trying to get a film-themed photowalk together XD

Sep '12

Rebecka - I've been meaning to get to one...scheduling has been an issue with work and other stuff. Plus I don't want to look like the black sheep with my Minolta gear in a crowd of Canon and Nikon users. :-)

emaxxman emaxxman
Sep '12

You're correct Art. Nameless dials are: front is aperture, rear is shutter (in manual mode) or exposure compensation in aperture/shutter priority mode. I tend to shoot in aperture priority and bracket a lot. If I'm shooting a tricky scene, I'll move to M and use the dials to adjust accordingly. I guess I've gotten so used to it, looking at the LCD on the back for the aperture or shutter speed setting is no biggie.

Dial on top left has two "rings" on it - one is exposure compensation, other is flash compensation.

Dial on top right has two rings as well - top( A/P/S/M), other is shooting mode (single/continuous bracket, singe shot/continuous shot, plus 10s/2s timer)

On the back are buttons for slow synch (AEL), center, spot/matrix metering, ISO

The only thing I ever go into the menu system for is to toggle the wireless/fill flash mode. Sadly, the newer models require you to dive deep down into a bunch of menus to set things. I'm considering buying a used A700...it still has many of the dials with some improvements - it was the first Sony model after they bought Minolta.

emaxxman emaxxman
Sep '12

emaxx- we're an even 50/50 mix of Canon + Nikon vs. other brands. I promise, you won't stand out like a sore thumb.

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '12

I went to Best Buy to check out some stuff. I was hoping to try out the Sony A65 or A77. They didn't have either model. I did try out the Canon 60D and 7D. The 7D had the 28-135 IS USM on it. Sweet camera (which was expected for a $1400 camera) but that lens was really nice. Smooth focus ring, really nice zoom ring and not too heavy.

I've been considering a switch to Canon (costs is a bit of a barrier right now) and I could live with that lens as my general purpose lens. The ability to shoot at ISO 800 sort of negates the downside of the slower max aperture. It is listed for ~$240 used at KEH...a bargain price if you ask me.

What to do, what to do, what to do...

emaxxman emaxxman
Sep '12

@Rebecka and everyone else who was curious about the Fuji X-Pro.

all taken with either the 35mm f1.4 or 18mm f2 (both under $600).

The colors are amazing that come out of this camera and I can easily take ISO3200 pics and blow up a 13x19 print with no noise!

What this camera is not aimed for is action photos! The speed of the AF is not fast enough, though there is an update coming out and the next batch of lenses are supposed to make the AF fast enough for sports but who knows.

Here is my flickr gallery. Let me know what you think. I just got this camera 5 months ago after owning canon.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nishimuraed/

Anyone interested in getting a both to sell prints during the Hackettstown market on Saturdays? I just moved to this area and i love this forum already and can't wait to make it out on a photo outing soon.

Also, what printer do you use? I am currently using a Canon Pro 9000 MkII. Can print up to a 13x19 photo.

THANKS!

If you have any questions about the camera please ask away!

@Jiro - your images make a compelling argument for the Fuji brand vs. Canon! They are gorgeous. I definitely need major action capabilities, though. Not for sports, or dogs... but for the bird photography I do (in addition to dogs, I also obsessively photograph birds).

I've got the exact same printer as you. Thing is, I never use it. All my images are processed by Bay Photo, as I have my clients order from my website directly. I got so frustrated trying to calibrate colors from my monitor to the printer that I almost threw the thing out the window. So basically, the behemoth of a machine is gathering dust in my office.

Are you coming out with us on the 16th?

@emaxx - if you are looking to be able to shoot in low light with high ISOs, I will unfortunately have to recommend you look at Nikon instead of Canon. Their sensors more advanced than Canons in that one department. DH just got the D700, and can shoot at unbelievable ISOs with little or no noise.

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '12

@Rebecka- Well I hope the newer lenses and firmware update makes the AF fast enough!
I love bird photography but right now I am more focused on nature shots and landscapes.
Do you have a personal website? and what body do you shoot with?

I would love to come out on the 16th!
FYI- the fuji camera has an old school look to it if you have not seen it. It looks like a range finder, the aperture selection is on the lens, the shutter speed is a dial among other things. Really neat camera.

I agree with you about calibrating colors with the printer... but it does the job for me now! phew. I am sure there are many out there looking to buy the printer!

Heh. I've got a few actual rangefinders (that take film) people could borrow for the upcoming walk. Yashica Electro GT and an Olympus 35RC (but nobody touches the Leica ~_~)

Sep '12

@Jiro - I do post some nature/bird images to my personal website: www.lovellimages.com

I'm in the process of completely overhauling that website (I have become a better bird photog since posting all the bird images, which are a couple years old), but if you click on "recent" and then "full screen" (then just wait and in a few seconds the slideshow will start) - you can get a short overview of about 15 of my latest images.

I shoot with a Canon 7D and love it. Slightly tempted by the new 5D, but really not even sure I need to upgrade; the 7D is such a wonderful body. I've been away with pro bird photogs who slap a 500mm f4 lens on the 7D body and their 1D series bodies stay in the gear bags!

@Art: "no one touches the Leica" lol I'm not surprised, it's your new baby!

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '12

@Rebecka0 WOW! great set of photos. I want to go to the field of sunflowers. What an amazing photo. Love all the bird photos as well.

The Canon 7d, in my opinion, is a great birding camera. Great AF speed. I mean, of course the new 5d mkiii suppose to be crazy but nothing to jump on right away.

I would love to use a crop camera with a 500mm!

Jiro - I just looked at your pictures...AMAZING! I don't care what camera you used. Those pictures are proof that it's the photographer, not the camera. That is a serious eye and talent you have there my friend.

emaxxman emaxxman
Sep '12

In need of recommendations please! When traveling I lug around my video camera, small point and shoot and my larger, "good" camera, the Canon Rebel. I am looking for basically a 3 in 1 camera. I hear that the video quality on cameras are better so I'm looking for a smaller camera thats easier to carry around and throw in a bag but with high quality pictures, and fast, frames per second. Also take video. I'm far from a photographer so I don't need all the bells and whistles just a good, compact video/camera.

villani villani
Jan '13

The mirrorless APS-C cameras what you're looking for. They have the larger sensor (equivalent to the size in the Rebel) so image quality is higher. They have pretty high shot rates too.

The Sony NEX line is the leading seller right now (and most robust system if you ask me.) They have the most mature system (between Sony, Canon, and Nikon). If you want to stay with Canon, they have their new M line. The Canon M line is new so models are limited (I think there's only 1 available) but I'm sure Canon will catch up.

The nice thing about the M is that you can get an adapter and it will use your Rebel lens(es). That's a plus if you have a large collection and don't want them to go to waste. Can also use other Canon EOS accessories if you have them.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '13

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-m

I just looked at the specs. The frame rate for pictures is not what I would call quick but it's on par with the Rebel. The Sony NEX has a faster frame rate but, as with all cameras, the quality of the shots is reliant on shooting conditions, the camera body, and lens used.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '13

We just bought a rebel t4i for our joint Christmas gift. New to photography. Seems like its going to take me a month to learn how to use this thing. Excited to learn.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '13

@emaxxman, thank you for your input. From the quick look at the link you provided I'm a little bit leary with there being no built in flash and bad reviews with the auto focus. I hardly know anything about functions on a camera. Pretty much looking for a higher quality point and shoot. I will definitely ask to see this camera when I do my shopping. Thank you for the start.

villani villani
Jan '13

The nex and M are definitely what I would consider to be higher end point and shoot models. The Sony Nex has very food autofocus and a built in flash. Most cameras will take video but where these cameras excel is low light.

Emaxxman Emaxxman
Jan '13

Greetings! My wife frequents HL and told me about this thread. I've been into photography since high school (35mm film), had my own darkroom and did a lot of work for the school's yearbook. I haven't had a decent camera since I got married in '81, just a couple of point-and-shoot digitals. I've finally got a decent DSLR - Canon 60D - and have started to get back into it. I would consider myself a "serious amateur". My favorite types of photography are macro, landscape and wildlife, and I'm just starting to get into flash photography. I'd like to join you on one of your photo walks, I'm always up for learning new things and sharing what I know with other photographers.

Frank Altamura Frank Altamura
Jan '13

For advanced point and shoot (and what I recommend in this situation) = Canon S100. Fast lens (f/2), Canon reliability, customizeable, CHDK available, continuous shooting mode, 1080p video, image stabilization, and 5x optical zoom.

If not that, then Fuji X100. Fixie digital rangefinder with a sensor the same size as the sony NEX 5, live view, and a built-in flash. The best option for fast operation/no lens changes required IMO. Also the 35mm equivalent f/2 lens is pretty fast. Not sure about video, though.

This is what Ken Rockwell says about it: http://www.kenrockwell.com/fuji/x100.htm

and here's DP Review's writeup: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/FujifilmX100/

villani, it sounds like you'd be happier with a nice camera phone from what your expectations are.

Jan '13

Villani,

After doing research on the internet, I bought on-line from Best Buy the SONY Cyber-Shot DSC-WX9. It features a Carl Zeiss lens and 5X Optical Zoom. It takes great pictures and is easy to use.

Chickadee Chickadee
Jan '13

Frank - welcome! I've been trying to get to a walk myself. Keep an out in the threads. There are regular walks organized.

Emaxxman Emaxxman
Jan '13

Thanks everyone! I will research all these cameras. I appreciate everyone's input.

villani villani
Jan '13

Also, where would I shop for a camera that the staff would be really knowledgable on the different types of cameras and what would work best for me? Are the Best Buy employees really that knowledgeable on said topic or would I be better off going to a photography store that sells cameras. I know there was one here in Hackettstown a while back have no idea where to find one now. Thanks

villani villani
Jan '13

Unique Photo in Fairfield is the closest camera store that I know of that stocks most things.

http://www.uniquephoto.com/

I would go with what Art said and just get the Canon S100/S110, especially if you already have a Rebel and are use to Canon.

Chris Chris
Jan '13

The other store that I've come to appreciate is Cardinal Camera. They have a number of sites in the PA area. One is opening up in the Sands Casino Outlet Stores. I go to the one in Center Valley. The guys there are extremely helpful, knowledgeable (some even shoot professionally as a side job.) They will also match any Amazon or B&H price.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '13

I second unique photo if you need to go to a store to decide what you want. Most members of the staff are photographers so its easy to find people who know what theyre talking about. And they have all the newest gear in stock most of the time.

Unfortunately you do pay a premium for the latest and greatest. If you just want to go to a store to fondle the cameras before you get one on amazon.com or something then go to whatever store is closest and has the camera you are interested in listed as in stock.

Jan '13

How is the current Unique Photo store setup? Is it more like a larger showroom where you can try the equipment out? Or is it similar to their old Florham Park store? I used to go to the FP store. It was small and the one guy (don't remember his name) didn't like to take equipment out to try. The other clerks had no issues.

I'd like to upgrade my ballhead and get a macro slider. Definitely want to try the ballhead out first.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '13

Oh...and I have a new Sony A77 coming! I can't wait! It's like Christmas in January!

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '13

Theyll let you try out any equipment you want in the store (at least in my experience). They have floor models of pretty much everything including tripods and heads. And the benefit of a store staffed with photo enthusiasts is that there is usually somoeone in the store that has at least tried out similar equipment and would be able to explain pros and cons.

Jan '13

Compact camera: Canon G15 or Canon FX-50 ? I've narrowed down my choice to get of little cameras. (I got a different one for Christmas, but sent it back. The IQ was just not there.) Anyone have opinions bw these two?

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '13

@Rebecka - a Canon PowerShot SX-50 should be arriving at my door sometime today so I'll let you know. I'm interested in playing around with the 1200mm (35mm equivalent) telephoto lens capability. Would imagine it would interest you for the bird photography.

Finally got the A77 today. Boy do I feel like a geezer. I have never seen so many buttons or drill down menus. I need dials!

On the positive side, the flash metering is soooooo much better than my old 7D. While I managed to adjust to its flaky metering, it was like dealing with a temperamental teenager.

The video capabilities will be a nice to have. I'm looking forward to using the LCD screen on the back to compose those low, tight macro shots. I won't miss twisting my body into a pretzel to look through the viewfinder during composition.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '13

http://digital-photography-school.com/digital-photography-tips-for-beginners

Interesting sight for beginners. I read through the article on the "exposure triangle" and thought it was pretty good. I still always recommend the book "Understanding Exposure" for those wanting to learn but this is nice "free" site to leverage.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '13

RAD & emaxx- are you liking your new respective cameras? Pros / cons? RAD - can you actually take HH pics with the 1200mm equiv zoom?

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '13

Rebecka - yes, I can do limited handheld at 1200. The camera is stabilized and you can see that function working when zoomed out to 1200. How solid the images are depends on the shutter speed. But HH at 1200 is probably not the recommended way to shoot LOL

Since I normally shoot now with a Canon 5d iii I personally notice the significant difference in IQ, but then great IQ is not something to expect from this camera.

I'll try posting an example as soon as I have a chance.

emaxxman - I have an old 400si I got for next to nothing while I worked for the company. I've managed to eBay the telephoto zoom but the body & 35-70 just won't seem to sell even with flat rate shipping. As far as I know the lens should work with that A77, which was one of the ways I was considering going to preserve my lenses, even if I was thinking a more modest A65. It you want it you can have it.

Rebecka: this example is shot handheld at night in my kitchen under overhead lights 1/4 sec at f6.5 with 1200mm zoom.

Rebecka: another example. First image taken at 24mm and the next is at 1200mm. The area in the first outlined in red is the area covered at 1200mm. The first image is here and I will post the 1200mm one next.

Rebecka: and here is the 1200mm shot (handheld).

GC - If you're just looking to get rid of it, I'll take you up on your offer. My daughter wants to learn how to use my old camera so that would be a great lens for her to practice with.

I'll send you a PM.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '13

Rebecka - I haven't really had a chance to do some serious "play" with the camera (lots of office work this week.) I'll be taking it out later today for some portrait work of the family.

From what I have been able to discern:
- much better flash meter; white balance seems better too. My house has CFL's and they always posed a problem with old 7D.
- EVF is very nice. Not sure if I like it more than an OVF but it is vastly better than the older EVF's from years past.
- Focus is definitely faster than the 7D (which was known for being slow.)

RAD - The sharpness and resolution at 1200mm in that shot is impressive.

Thang Thang
Jan '13

Another cool sight to learn about aperture and shutter speed settings for beginners:

http://dryreading.com/camera/index.html

You can adjust the settings in the demo and it will show you the effects.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '13

Printing your own photos vs sending them out. What are the advantages of either?

If you send them out what places do you recommend? Or if you do them yourself what is a good printer?

Ignatz
Jan '13

'Another cool ..sight...' Appropriate word substitution for this thread, emaxxman. Intentional?

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '13

Rad - amazing images. I'll have to look into that camera.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '13

MNJ - uh...would you believe me if I said "yes"? OK, total typo on my part. I can't even blame it on autocorrect this time. LOL!

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '13

Ha. What I thought.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '13

anyone know what I can do with a Canon AE-1 Programme from 1983? Plus an assortment of accoutrements.

cbbbbbb cbbbbbb
Jan '13

Ignatz -

Advantages - you can control your own printing.
Disadvantages - calibrating your monitor, software, and printer isn't that easy for novices.

It depends on what sizes you want to print. If you're just talking about 4x6 to 11x14, it's probably just easier to find a local lab to do it. If you need full frame sizes, eg pictures with a 2:3 aspect ratio, then printing at home or finding a higher end lab is required. Most places print 4x6's but then go to crop sizes (8x10, 11x14).

cbbbbbb - If you have a Canon SLR, you may be able to find an adapter to use the manual focus lenses on your autofocus camera. You could just shoot a roll of film through it and see if you still like it. keh.com, craigslist, and ebay are also places to sell it if you don't want to keep it.

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '13

Does anyone have experience with these Eye-Fi SD cards? They're a bit pricey but they seem kind of cool. It would be nice if I was shooting family portraits inside and we could see the "proof" on an iPad or laptop. I take a lot of family portraits where I'm also in the pic.

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '13

emaxxman - My laptop and many others have a SD card slot built-in. USB card adapters are like $10 so the Eye-FI to me aren't worth it.

GC - I have the same. I'm not looking at it as a way to get the pics onto the PC (although it would accomplish that). From my understanding, the card allows me to see the pics on an iPad or laptop as I'm shooting. I'm trying to avoid the shoot - take card to PC - load pics - shoot again sequence.

It's all about the instant gratification and I need mine yesterday. :-)

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '13

emaxx, although not as convenient, can you shoot tethered?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Feb '13

Unfortunately, my new camera doesn't support tethering.

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '13

@cbbbbbb

You could take photos with it like this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thegodlyme/6126109883/
or
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thegodlyme/8415546606/
or
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thegodlyme/7663899976/

Or you could just give it to me XD

Feb '13

This is for Art:

http://stevemccurry.com/galleries/last-roll-kodachrome

I'd like to know how long he had the roll of film in his camera. I'm sure the subjects weren't in the same room.

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '13

Well that was the last roll of K64 to come off the line in June '09 (Kodak gave it to McCurry cause of all his great work with Kodachrome over the years) and the processing was stopped at the end of Dec '10 so he had a good 17-18 months to shoot that roll.

Ive only ever shot 3 rolls of K64 and they are some amazing slides.

Feb '13

Not really sure what to think of this. I can buy repair parts for my camera from Sears Parts Direct:

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Sony-Parts/Camera-Parts/Model-SLTA77V/0996/0500140/50041738/00001?blt=06&prst=&shdMod=

I guess I can buy a new lens mount, cordless drill battery, and a dryer belt all in one trip.

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '13

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/03/21/first-impressions-canon-rebel-t5i/#more-38980

Rebel t5i review with slight comparison with t4i.

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '13

Does anyone have experience with Extension Tubes (in lieu of using a dedicated macro lens?)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/375238-REG/Kenko_AEXTUBEDGN_Auto_Extension_Tube_Set.html

Help/Suggestions much appreciated!

Mar '13

Those tubes have been around a long time, and the technical benchmarks have always been mediocre. If you're doing professional photography I've always seen the advice to buy dedicated or at least a lens that specifically includes macro capability.

Personally I did demo one at a store once and wasn't very impressed.

@ Nick

Extension tubes generally have NO glass elements, so brand will not matter as much for the basic physical use of the ring. If you want the lens to communicate with your camera body (a necessity with most modern lenses that omit an aperture control ring), then you will have to make sure the ring can properly connect the body and lens electronically.

Nikon users here have a distinct advantage over Canon users in this area (imo), since their lens mount has never changed. You could get an old manually controlled Nikkor lens and use non-electronically-coupled extension tubes while retaining full aperture control.

That being said, extension tube macro photography generally enhances any flaws in the design, construction, or physical condition of the lens. Most non-macro lenses are not designed for macro use, and therefore suffer in the macro arena. Macro-specific lenses are designed with the use of extension tubes in mind, and so generally perform better than their non-macro counterparts - in fact, most macro-specific lenses have built in extension; sometimes up to 1:2 magnification (meaning that the size of the photographed area is 2x the actual physical size of the sensor - 1:1 means that the photographed area is the same size as the physical size of the sensor).

The equation for the "amount of macro" that you are getting is as follows:

1:(focal length/extension)

so a 100mm lens with a 50mm extension will give you 1:(100/50) or 1:2 macro.
A 50mm lens with a 100mm extension will give you 1:(50/100) = 1:1/2 = 2:1 macro
There are also bellows attachments for most brands of camera that are usually pretty inexpensive if you don't really care what ratio you are getting or need a rate of magnification that is not available due to the limited range of tubes (its a sliding scale)

And as a recommendation, I would stick with manual focus when using extension tubes. When you really get down there to macro levels, hyperfocal distance is extremely short; so you really have to be picky where the focal point is located.

Heres some links:
http://www.diyphotography.net/the-comprehensive-guide-to-macro-photography
http://www.diyphotography.net/using-baking-powder-as-a-macro-tube

tl;dr - Extension tubes are good, cheap, and don't hurt your lenses. Get 'em and try 'em out.

Mar '13

The Kenko tubes allow you to retain AF and auto stopping down of the aperture. They're good for lenses without a dedicated aperture ring.

I believe Nikkor lenses with the aperture ring allow you to manually stop the lens down. Therefore, I wouldn't bother with the Kenko. As Art stated, get any set of cheap extension tubes designed for the Nikon AF mount. You'll never manually focus when doing macro unless you're trying to capture a bug of some sort.

John Shaw's Closeups in Nature is a fantastic read for those wanting to get into macro photography. I've read my copy several times.

From what I understand:

Closeup "filter" lenses - Pros: retains AF, doesn't cause any light loss, Cons: Introduces another glass element into the optical path, cheaper sets are "single lens" constructs and reduce sharpness, must by the more expensive brands (Canon and Nikon make very good closeup lenses.)

Extension tubes - Pros: no addtl glass in the optical path to reduce sharpness, Cons: extension introduces light loss - TTL metering systems will compensate automatically for this; expensive for a quality set if full auto is to be retained.

Macro lens - best of all worlds but expensive.

Personally, I have a 100mm Minolta macro and it's great. Very slow focusing but it has a focus limiter dial (like most modern OEM brands do) to help with AF speed. Makes a great portrait lens too. Current model pricing is ridiculously expensive.

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '13

Try this link for some excerpts from Shaw's book. I've been considering getting a set of tubes for my 100-300mm zoom. Shaw's book explains the benefits of using a zoom (eg. built in slider.)

http://books.google.com/books?id=44Eeol9RKMwC&pg=PA121&lpg=PA121&dq=john+shaw+extension+tubes&source=bl&ots=lvqJXogXK0&sig=GelQYj65yUviVS6ltmHmGCtUGxc&hl=en&sa=X&ei=VXBPUd_wDbOG0QGRuoCgBw&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=john%20shaw%20extension%20tubes&f=false

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '13

@emaxx

"You'll never manually focus when doing macro unless you're trying to capture a bug of some sort."

mind = blown. Autofocus can really deal with high macro? For the record, I don't have AF.

Mar '13

Sorry my mistake. I meant you'll never auto focus. Consider your mind put back together. :-)

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '13

Thanks so much everyone - good stuff! I have a lot of reading to do :)

Mar '13

Getting used to my T4i. Only took me a week to figure out how to zoom. Feel like an idiot. I was adjusting the focus. I've been playing around with everything and learning what works. Here's the view we had two weeks ago. And now it's snowing.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Mar '13

MNJ - You must be in that warm zone of Hackettstown. I can't get palm trees to grow in my yard.

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '13

Yes, the domed section. Weather is warm and the margarita's are ice cold! This was from a long weekend on Vieques island, Puerto Rico. Got some pretty good shots. Well, pretty good for an amateur anyhow. If I'd only known how to work the zoom I could have done so much more. Sigh.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Mar '13

http://www.photofidelity.com/blog/free-ebooks-close-up-photography-and-focus-stacking.html

Free ebooks on closeup photography...I'm going to try the focus stacking technique.

And these are legally free books. :-)

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '13

Anyone use these plug-ins?
They are on sale for 70% off. I was considering getting one of them a while back but now they are bundled together. Seems like a good deal.
http://www.niksoftware.com/nikcollection/usa/index.php?view=intro%2Fmain.shtml

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '13

Yes, I use Nik software plug-ins in Adobe Lightroom mostly, although they also work in Bridge & Photoshop. I like them a lot, especially as cool effects can be used without complicated layer mask creation slowing down the workflow.

There is a bit of a learning curve with Nik, but fortunately, there are many YouTube videos and online resources to utilize.

There is a promotion running with Nik that stipulates that if one purchased any of their plug-ins within the past 5 years, a special one-time use link was e-mailed to existing users, and we were able to download the entire suite for free. Even at $149, it is a great deal. (I paid $99 for one filter a year ago).

I also use Topaz filters for Lightroom & Photoshop in addition to Photomatix. Nik plug-ins are my favorite however.

Apr '13

emaxxman -- thanks so much for the free e-book links...great resources!

Apr '13

MeisterNJ, how did you like Vieques? We took a day trip there when we went to El Yunque Rainforest in PR for our 2nd or 3rd anniversary.

We never made it past Al's Mar Azul... killer rum punches, an amazing view of the water from the bar... plus I was already burnt like a lobster, so a day at the beach wasn't in the cards, lol

ianimal ianimal
Apr '13

Here's some of the photo/voice recording equipment I use on a shoot.

John C John C
Apr '13

And the "main" video camera.

John C John C
Apr '13

John C. - can you recommend a microphone -or what to look for in a mike - to use on my DSLR? I would like something compact, preferably runs on AA or AAA batteries, and around $100 or less.

My new camera records HD video and the on board mike isn't that great. I know nothing about shooting video other than recording the kids at school concerts and at home.

emaxxman emaxxman
Apr '13

I can only recommend commercial grade mikes. We use Sony and the prices for them are so high. The battery packs alone go for $40 (price does not include the charger)

John C John C
Apr '13

emaxxman - I know you mentioned it to cbbbbbb but I wanted to put my two cents in about older Canon FD lenses. Although you can get an adapter, the only useful one has glass in it. They changed the positioning of the film plane when going to the EF mount and that means you're stuck with either a non-glass adapter that works but can't focus past 10 feet, or an inferior hazy contrast losing 1.4+ diopter glass that makes mediocre pictures.

I tried a couple just to see what would happen, and bought both glass and non glass adapters because they're the cheap part. With some really nifty old well built metal Canon glass you can pick up for $20 it will professional level pictures on film with that AE1, but an adapter on a T4i and it's all washed out and noticeable less sharp. Not the worst if you're just doing some home photos, but a huge loss.

One of the things I tried was one of the best independent lens products ever made - the Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f2.8 (Komine version). That still benchmarks against today's glass yet takes every day pictures. Yet, I switch adapters to a Nikon mount, which has no focus problems and doesn't need glass in the adapter, and I can get the same lens for Nikon. That rocks, super sharp and crisp contrast like it is on film, and just needs a bit of tweaking to get the exposure right.

If you've got a Canon and want to play with old manual focus cheapies, the way to go is Nikon mounts. You can also get "universal mount" (Pentax screw in) that work well but I'm not a big fan of the older Pentax products and the only worth while ones are old German lenses that still carry their original price tags. You can get Olympus OM mount as well, but while their normal range 50mm were rock solid, their others weren't the same. But you can get great Nikon products in the $25 range, and all the Vivitar's, Tamron's, Tokina's, Sigma's, and Soligor's all come in Nikon mount as well. There is some good stuff out there and it adapts without degradation.

My recommendation would be to keep the AE1 and accessories together and sell as a package to someone interested in film.

And at this point, I'm ready to sell those FD lenses in favor of Nikon mount. I already got a replacement for the Series 1, and will sell the FD off. There are good 105mm, 135mm, and 200mm primes available so the 135mm & 200mm FD's are going to go. I've also managed to track down a Vivitar aspherical 28mm made by Komine so I'm probably dumping the 28mm & 35mm FD.

It was fun to play with though. ;-)

Don't get rid of the FD lenses just yet!

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2834821#forum-post-35782386

Some nice images here. The Sony NEX is a pretty sweet camera line and there are adapters for practically every lens manufacturer out there. You can put a Leica on it - not that I would have the money for a Leica.

I wouldn't mind getting a Nex 6 or 7 as a second body for walking/hiking. Pair it up with a travel tripod and I would probably leave my DSLR home 90% of the time.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '13

emaxxman - The thing today is the camera body is now the biggest expense. That NEX 6, even used, costs 4 times more than the 5 FD lenses I've got. It's not worth preserving any investment when they're in the $25 ea range. On the other hand, the person that's made the investment in one of those Sony's is a great target to sell the FD's to. Compare that to $50 for an A-1 body and doing film work. I would rather do that with the FD's.

The ship on the body has pretty much already sailed for me personally. I need to preserve that investment now, the manual focus lenses are basically throw away kind of prices.

There's also another option at the similar price level of the NEX - go video. Entry level Canon pro digital video will take a different adapter that will adjust for the film plane. Video doesn't have the mirror of DSLR so it can fit retrograde inside enough to get full focus. That supposedly is really, really popular in the video space now.

Instead of just throwing the FD stuff away my AE-1, AE-1 Program, and EF that I shoot with would still make great companions for them. I might even be willing to shell out for a 100mm. XD

And as far as old Pentax screw mount lenses (aka M42 mount), some of those old Super-Takumars are amazing performers even today which is why they still command some higher prices. Zenit, a Russian outfit, also made M42 mount lenses. And the really old Leica lenses are M39. All have adapters now, screw mounts being the easiest to find and adapt.

Aug '13

Some Guy (Art) - Sorry, don't have a 100mm FD. I made the investment in a really snappy 100mm EF that you can still get reasonably priced. The 2.8 100mm FD is still over $100 on the used market and I rather put that kind of $ into the EF. I mostly bought things in the $25 range which the 2.8 28mm and 2.8 35mm apply. I'm not looking to throw them away so much as probably trade for Nikon equivalents. I can eBay them and should get close to my money back, the Series 1 maybe even a bit more.

I know there are fans of those old Pentax products, but not really me. I owned one of those old Pentax film models when I was a kid and never thought they really compared with others. (although they are quite affordable) The Leica's even though old can still set you back $500+ each depending on what they are. There are multiple Russian/Ukranian companies that made "universal" screw mount lenses. Plus Yashica/Fuji/Ricoh - loads of knock offs in those days.

If I had a Nex, I'd snap up the 28mm f/2.8 in a heartbeat. The adapter is $25 on Amazon. Would be a great landscape lens. I use all manual focus for landscapes anyway.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '13

I want this!!! Just give me a 400mm prime and the panoramic robot.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/08/02/massive-360-degree-tokyo-panorama-jeffrey-martin

8000 pictures stitched together and 600K pixels wide. Heck, give me the PC that processed all that.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '13

My new "toys" from SYFY for the next season.

John C John C
Aug '13

emaxx - I'd settle for a 400mm prime. 2.8 that is, not 5.6, though.

John - looks like you are going to be having some FUN! Hope you have someone to carry all that for ya!

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '13

Is this you?

http://www.digitalrev.com/article/10-signs-you-re-a/MTQ2NDU2MDE0

Luckily, I met my wife BEFORE I became one.

emaxxman emaxxman
Sep '13

So I have always been a fashion/landscape photographer.... now I want to get into birding.

I am sorry if this has been discussed already but I am wondering if the Canon 400mm f5.6L would be enough reach for birding paired with a Canon mark IV or III.

I mean obviously 500mm would be better. I don't want to add a TC to it either. The 100-400mm is not an option because I like the IQ of prime lenses.

Thank you!

jiro03 jiro03
Sep '13

http://www.uniquephoto.com/event/NJCS

December 13, 14, 15

NJ Camera Show at Unique Photo
What is the NJ CAMERA SHOW?

From Beginners to Professionals...
Don't Miss NJ's Largest Photography Event Ever!

· NJ's LARGEST Camera Show
· 50+ Brand Name Vendor Reps ON-SITE
· LOWEST Camera Prices of the Year
· Demo All of the NEWEST Camera Gear
· FREE Photography Classes*
· TRADE-IN Your Old Camera Gear
· WIN Amazing Prizes

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '13

Bumping this up for a new photog on the forum.

I never saw your September post, jiro, or I would have replied. Did you get your birding lens??

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '13

Thank you Rebecka!

Ah, I have been without a camera for almost a year. Been getting my camera itch again. Curious to know what current set up you have and how you got there with your equipment and shooting type.

Here was/is my flickr (all shot with the fuji xpro and the 35mm & 18mm)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fujiwideopen/

Here is my past equipment in order

Sony X100
Canon 5d
Canon 7d
Canon 5d mkii
Canon 1d mk iii
Fuji x-pro
....nothing present. :(

I have been convinced that the fuji fits my shooting style. Next set up:
Fuji X-e2
14mm
27mm
55-200mm

My interests are landscapes, models, street photography, and just being creative. Hope to go out on a photowalk with many of you soon.

westvillage westvillage
Dec '13

Started off with Sony's (oh, my Mavica that took pics on a mini CD, loved it).

Then got the fabulous little Nikon D40 and became a much better photog by studying and by posting on naturephotographers.net. The critiques that famous nature photogs give your images when you post them on that site was better than any photog school anywhere, as far as I'm concerned.

My obsession was bird photography, and I learned everything I could. Went on several guided tours with my favorite pros to birding sites around the country and upgraded to a Canon 7D, 300mm f4 + 1.4tc.

Then I was invited by one of the photo tour leaders/renowned bird photogs to be a guide on one of his upcoming trips... to the Galapagos, nonetheless! For that trip, I simply rented everything that I owned in duplicate, so I would have a back-up set of gear. I wanted no different equipment, though, what I own is absolutely perfect for the photography that I do. Many pro birders shoot with the 7D as opposed to the 1D or 5D because the quality is right there, and the crop factor is a huge plus for us.

That said, I certainly wouldn't mind if Santa brought me a 1D body for Christmas to have fun with, but the 7D is really perfect for what I do. Also appreciate the lighter, smaller body.

As for Canon v Nikon (or any other make): I'll never go back. I can pick out a Canon bird image from a mile away. Canon lenses simply achieve the look I want. Just right for my dog photography, too.

What I photograph: nature, predominantly birds; dogs.

Female wood duck in Bosque Del Apache.

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '13

Holy toledo just checked out your Flikr site. Wow! Gorgeous shots.

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '13

Thanks Rebecka. The Fuji system always surprises me with the IQ.

Hope to join you guys soon!

westvillage westvillage
Dec '13

Started with a Canon QL rangefinder when I was 12 and developing my own. I used it so much when we lived out of the country that the metering and aperture rings came off. I got a Pentax as my first SLR for a birthday present which I used in high school for events. Then went away from it for quite a while.

Started traveling to Europe frequently so needed something new. Was consulting at Minolta at the time so they gave me some of the last of the AF equipment with the Minolta name on it. Was very happy with the camera, not as happy with the lenses and was looking at 3rd party when business changed and stopped traveling so much.

Now I've got a used Canon T1i that was a good value, two AF lenses (Canon 100 & Tamron 17-50) which is where I spent the $. Plus a stable of old manual lenses picked up for a song that totally rock optically but no one wants because they are manual. (Vivitar Series 1 70-210 and specialized Vivitar Series 1 28-90 Macro Focus, plus old Canon wide angle f2.8's & Nikon tele f2.5's)

I shoot mostly either landscapes on vacations, or cats at home. That's why the 100 & the 17-50. The manuals were something to play with for cheap, but turned out I actually leave the 70-210 on carry the other two AF lenses in a camera bag.

Next up I know is going to be a replacement for the T1i because I know I'm eventually going to wear the shutter out the way I'm going. The 60D is probably going to be better than a T5i for my needs, although the new AF might sway that which is why I was asking about that earlier. If I knew I could sell the two used AF lenses for near what I paid, a Nikon 5200 has got some really good used prices at the moment. Those lenses are my only real investment to preserve.

So, set my t4i, with it's small carry case, on the counter the other day. Top of the case was open. Turn around, hear a crash. Camera on floor. Gulp. Take the lense cap off. Cracked lense. Lense cap had pushed into it when it hit the floor. Heart sinks. Curses. More curses.

Flash fwd a few hours. Look at lense again. Closer look. Realize I had left the UV filter on and that was what was cracked. Heart lifts. Curses for joy!. I can replace the UV filter for $10. Would rather not replace a 55-80. Phew!

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Dec '13

PHEW! must feel so good.

westvillage westvillage
Dec '13

GC- not sure how long this deal will last but a Canon 60D for $599!

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-CMOS-Digital-Camera-3-0-Inch/dp/B0040JHVCC/ref=br_lf_m_1001224801_1_4_ttl?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=photo&pf_rd_p=1681632282&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1001224801&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=003E1S9WDQZZ9S4ENP6Q

westvillage westvillage
Dec '13

MNJ - That is why I have always had a UV filter on all of my lenses from day 1. I also use the lens hood whenever I use the camera too. It helps to prevent further bumps and scratches against the front element.

emaxxman emaxxman
Dec '13

westvillage - Thanks. That's now the going rate for those. Best Buy has the same price and looks to be that way until the holidays are over. The newer models are forcing the older models down. I suspect it's going to go even a bit lower than that. I'm waiting for the used prices to catch up to that fact. If I have patience I can already get a 60D used for $450. I'll probably get it when it goes to $350. Meanwhile a brand new Nikon D5200 is $500 right now. Unfortunately it's tough to find a used Nikon where they're selling just the body.

emaxxman - To me a filter is no different than remembering to put the cap on it and puts more glass in front that can't make any picture better.. But I like using a hood instead, it's bigger protection for dropping and doesn't run the risk the broken glass scratches the lens anyway.

GC - A cheap filter will degrade image quality for sure. A quality one will not impact quality. Depending on the age of the lens, a quality multi-coated filter may actually improve image quality by reducing glare.

I use Hoya HMC filters. I've found them to be very good and even better priced. B&W's are probably the best filters but boy are they pricey; especially when you need a 77mm one.

emaxxman emaxxman
Dec '13

I always opt for the clear nikon filters. No effect on the images and top notch clear glass. When I first started out, everyone told me uv uv uv. Pros don't use uv.

LJRubi LJRubi
Dec '13

LJR - pros don't use UV? What? Sometimes it amazes me when photographers make sweeping statements like that about equipment. Most pros use UV lenses.

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '13

Any takes on what tablet I should get for photography?

I want it to put my photos on it and do some light editing.

I am an apple guy but if another tablet does what I want it to do for cheaper, i'll go that route.

Thank you!

westvillage westvillage
Dec '13

Settle down Rebecka. All the pros I know do not have uv filters on their $2k+ lenses.

LJRubi LJRubi
Dec '13

westvillage - I think it's more the app than the tablet itself. Photoshop has an Apple app version. Not sure if they have something for the Android based tablets. Of course, there are tons of apps out there so it really is all about what you want to do.

emaxxman emaxxman
Dec '13

Hence your proclamation, "pros don't use uv." Well, I do, and so does every other pro I know.

But why don't we change the subject?

Photogs, what is on your GEAR WISH LIST?

A long-term goal of mine is to get my hands on the Canon 500mm f4 ii lens. It's rather dear, so it won't be this year.
I'll probably get the 24mm f1.4 in the next few months. One of the best lenses I've tried (rented) but have not yet owned.

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '13

westvillage - I happily use my ipad..........have a card reader so it's easy to load - and has basic editing software and easy ways to share pix

5catmom 5catmom
Dec '13

And does anyone else rent gear for special projects or trips? I rent the 500mm f4 when I go on birding trips. I so love that lens.

Horned Lark - you can always find them on Oberly Rd. in Alpha.

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '13

Gorgeous photo Rebecka. Might I ask where you rent your lenses from and what the 500mm f4 runs for rental? I'm thinking I'd like to give it a try come spring to compare it to my Sigma.

Garmin
Dec '13

Rebecka:

I guess I'm not a pro yet? Bummer. :( If only I had the right metal and glass attached to my metal and glass.

Garmin:

Unique Photo does rentals.

http://www.uniquephoto.com/rentals/

christography christography
Dec '13

awesome photo rebecka!

westvillage westvillage
Dec '13

Garmin - I love lensrentals.com. Their prices are all on their website; the prices vary based on how long you want to rent the gear. They change out their rental equipment regularly which means you're always getting fairly new gear. Never had a problem with any of it.

Thanks, westvillage!

Here is a link (I think this will work) to some of my images (posted on NPN): http://www.naturephotographers.net/imagecritique/ic.cgi?a=up&pi=REBECKA&ns=1&CGISESSID=3e569a0037b20c0fb4763a7cbd488739&u=20992

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '13

Thanks Rebecka... I'll look them up. Also wonderful photos.. great inspiring views!

Garmin
Dec '13

Rebecka - what beautiful pix - your work is wonderful- wondering what wildlife center was involved with the fox as I volunteer at 2 wildlife rescues -

5catmom 5catmom
Dec '13

Place nice folks.

To answer Rebecka's question, I'd love to get:
- Sony 16-50mm f/2.8
- Sony 70-200 f/2.8
- new ballhead - my old one is not as smooth anymore. It's a pain to properly compose a macro shot (where moving just a hair could make a huge difference.)
- second flash

I don't have the funds (or justification for the two lenses) at the moment. What I am getting is a wireless remote for my camera. It will make taking family portraits (90% of my shots) with me in the pic much easier. I ordered the Vello Shutterboss. It has a timer function built in that should make it easier to take long (>30 seconds) exposures too.

emaxxman emaxxman
Dec '13

If you want an amazing system, yet affordable, I beg you to try to new Fuji line up. If you need really fast AF, stick with your dslr. If you want amazing IQ, great color, and love to spend time to compose a shot, try the fuji.

Canon, Nikon, and Sony... all amazing too!

westvillage westvillage
Dec '13

Fuji is a great example of a film company that saw the light early and transitioned well to digital.

Given my investment in Minolta (and thus Sony), I've been really focused (pun intended) on Sony's mirrorless line of cameras. I would love to get one of their new full-frame A7/A7R's. The IQ and small form factor is the future in IMO.

Now, just one gripe...what the heck is the deal with lens pricing?! It's insane. OEM high end f/2.8 zoom lenses used to go for $1000 while Sigma/Tamron's were in the $350-$400 range. Tamron's 24-70 f/2.8 is $1300. Even used market pricing is nuts. My old Minolta 17-35 f/2.8-4 costs more used than what I paid for a new one.

emaxxman emaxxman
Dec '13

emaxxman - Now you know why I've been playing around with old MF glass. ;-)

I've seriously started to look at prime lenses versus more expensive high end zooms. Sony has some "cheap" primes that reputedly have outstanding quality. My only concern is that the build quality is proportionately cheap.

emaxxman emaxxman
Dec '13

Haven't read the whole thread but if there are any Nikon people here, I am thinking about selling off my 16mm f2.8 fisheye. Need to fund a new 70-200mm for portrait work.

LJRubi LJRubi
Dec '13

What do you guys think...

I was thinking ipad because I am familiar with Apple products and there are a ton of photo editing apps too. I can always buy a card reader too...

I was also thinking Microsoft Surface. You can attach a hard drive to it and work on photos directly from the drive and never have to transfer them to the surface.

ipad vs surface?

just for photo editing and email.

westvillage westvillage
Dec '13

@westvillage

Personally, I would get a surface pro to use actual programs like lightroom or similar and I'd get a portable mouse and keyboard for it. I don't know what Apple has to offer, but I hate their products anyway so I may have a biased opinion.

Dec '13

love my apple products and know nothing about the others so I have no way to compare - but there are lots of online tech reviews out there that might help

5catmom 5catmom
Dec '13

If anyone is looking for Canon EF 75-300 mm III lense, I am selling it brand new with Filter kit for about 150 or BO, I have posted it in classified section..

newbee newbee
Dec '13

Also, if anyone is looking at a professional Photo Printer, I am selling Canon PIXMA PRO-100 Printer, normally sells for $400, can print up to size of 13"x19" and with Canon SG-201 13x19 Photo paper (Normally sells for $45) ..

Both are brand new, in the box, You can buy it for around $150 or BO..
This is also posted in classified section..

newbee newbee
Dec '13

I love my apple products but I agree with Some Guy (art).

ok... now that's solved... who wants to buy it for me? Maybe we should start a photo club gift exchange.

westvillage westvillage
Dec '13

westvillage - it might be difficult to edit photos on such a small screen. I would go with a regular computer and a monitor that you can calibrate. Don't believe you can do that with tablets.

Also - are tablets equipped with enough memory for LR and PS?! These are heavy programs!

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '13

Actually here's a thread for you: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5837013

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '13

Yeah, the Surface Pro 2 can run these programs. The Surface is not really a tablet in the inside. Also it has a monitor output!

I have decided to do minimal editting on my photos. I have a homet set up for the more heavy editing with two 27inch LG LED IPS monitors. I want to downgrade because I found myself focusing too much on what others wants in photos but I want to go back to taking photos just for myself (and hackettstown life)

westvillage westvillage
Dec '13

know anyone who wants to buy a 5d mkiii with grip? 6d with grip? Canon 50mm 1.2?

trying to help a friend

westvillage westvillage
Dec '13

I'll take all three. Ok seriously, what is he or she asking?

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '13

2700 for the 5d with grip
1200 for the 6d with grip
1000 for the lens.

I think those are the best prices compared to Craigslist and ebay.
Reciepts included!
Low clicks. No more than 10000.

Something came up and now needs to dump some of their back up stuff.

Westvillage Westvillage
Dec '13

Oops $1500 for the 6d package

Westvillage Westvillage
Dec '13

Is the 50mm the latest version, and when was it purchased? (Sorry for all the questions, I know this isn't your gear, but I'm interested...)

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '13

That original post really should have been in the classifieds with a link posted here. If you're really interested, it would probably be a good idea to PM at this point.

PM me rebecka.
I'll ask about the 50mm 1.2.

Anyone have a 5d mkiii? I want to know if it's worth getting that over the 6d.

westvillage westvillage
Dec '13

If you need the autofocus, dual slots, and build quality, the mk3 is better than than the 6D.

Though, I think yesterday Amazon had it for sub $2700 new, so not sure about the price.

Dec '13

I am leaning towards buying my friends 6d now.
Image quality is top of my list and they both have the same sensor. The af is still fast enough for me..

Well everywhere it's usually around $2900 + tax. So if you add it up... with the $275 grip..
$2700 vs $3396

On ebay, body only, they still between $2500-2700.

westvillage westvillage
Dec '13

B&H has the 6D for $1499 sans grip but comes with a whole slew of other stuff. I don't shoot vertically, like ever, so the grip doesn't mean much to me. You also don't pay tax with B&H.

Canon 6D with 24L II just because.

Dec '13

look, I am trying to sell for a friend but you can argue all you want... I didn't come up with the prices. I guess she was going off of the $1800 she originally spent on the camera and the $275 grip.

but if someone if getting a 6d camera you probably don't want all the cheap stuff they are including with it...

westvillage westvillage
Dec '13

any recommendations for a photography magazine to subscribe to? Looking for photo techniques, equipment, or just general.

thank you!

westvillage westvillage
Dec '13

Wow! Sony's new 28-70 f/3.5-5.6 lens was just released and it's $500! Less than 10 years ago, a lens with this f/stop spec was $80! WTH?!

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SEL2870-28-70mm-F3-5-5-6-Interchangeable/dp/B00GTXHQ8Q/

westvillage - I read/have read Digital Camera World, Digital SLR Photography, and subscribe to Digital Photo Pro. The first two are UK based magazines. Both are better than any of the garbage that is printed/based here in the U.S. (Peterson's, Popular Photography, etc.)

Digital Photo Pro isn't bad because it has some more advanced Photoshop/Lightroom articles. To be honest, none are really worth the subscription price. I get them for free as part of a "freebizmag.com" sponsored subscription. I would never pay for them - there are much better free resources on the Internet.

One magazine that I would consider paying for is Practical Photoshop. It's based out of the UK as well so it's expensive. It has a ton of great Photoshop/Lightroom technique articles each month. The few issues I have are very good.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '14

I wouldn't expect a lens like that too be that much! wow... that is pretty much a kit lens at best.

thanks for the info! I will look into those suggestions!

westvillage westvillage
Jan '14

West village. I am just seeing your post now. I subscribe to every photo mag there is. Please have some of my recent past issues! That will help you decide what mag you like. Pm me if interested.

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '14

Hey everybody
Everybody listen
Everybody
I got a new came
Everybody listen
I got a new full-frame camera
Everybody
It cost me about $2
Everybody
$2
It cost me $2
Everybody listen here
It cost me $2...and it came with a free tin of mints.
Check it out.

Feb '14

Is that what they would call a pinhole camera? Sweet. I love Altoids too.

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '14

Yes, Emaxx. It is a pinhole camera. And an easy one to make at that.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thegodlyme/12601493593/

Feb '14

But where do you attach the lens?? ;-P

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '14

I used to like to play with those when I was young. I used a Quaker Oats can and put a piece of photo paper in there. Never wanted to deal with just a tiny bit of developer and keeping it all dark during the process just for a tiny piece of film like that. So the paper meant I had the pans all ready for it and I could watch it develop since the exposure is so tricky. A lot less hassle.

Just curious as to who here has a home studio and what you are doing about lighting setup. I recently started getting into building a home studio and using off camera flashes with Nikon's CLS. Currently using two SB600's and mainly bouncing them into 45" silver umbrellas. I first started with 2 continuous lights but after my 1st shoot, ditched them in favor of flash. Also wondering if any of you guys are booking models off modelmayhem.com and your thoughts on that.

LJRubi LJRubi
Feb '14

not something I know about but this may or may not be of interest - there are classes on lighting etc http://www.uniquephoto.com/university/

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '14

Oh and B&H has LR5 boxed version shipped for $69. Grab your copy now before Adobe forces you to their cloud bs.

LJRubi LJRubi
Feb '14

I have three full-spectrum 4x fluo light stands that bounce light off silver umbrellas for when I need them, but that is only about once a year. They do get the job done nicely. But I don't like doing indoor/artificial light photography, only outdoor - nature, birds, dogs outdoors, etc. And humans, not my thing, so I can't help you re: the model source. If RAD sees this, he'll probably be able to chime in with some good advice.

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '14

Does anyone have $4000 I could borrow? My $29 20+ year old 50mm f/1.8 suddenly developed a huge case of inadequacy.

http://instagram.com/p/lTjANQD1Ku/

Zeiss 55mm Otus!

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '14

Woah, that is PRETTY insane. Talk about detail.

I'd give you the $4K but I'm putting it towards a new prime telephoto! ;-)

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '14

It's certainly an amazing thing. Yet, for the money I believe I will revamp my kitchen instead. ;-)

LJRubi - Yes, have a home studio. My decision was to go with the Alien Bee monolights - two 400s and two 800s. The main reason was that they are quite cost effective and Buff's customer service is very, very good. Also have an Alien Bee ringlight. Modifiers include an assortment of softboxes and umbrellas. BUT, there is no reason not to consider speedlights. I tend to use the speedlights on location. You can augment the more expensive Canon or Nikon units with additional cheaper units like the LumoPro 160s. The LumoPros can be set to trigger off the speedlight's main flash and ignore the pre-flash.

Model Mayhem has it's good and bad points. I have worked with models through MM but it doesn't seem to be as useful as it used to be. Lots of activity on Facebook - but that's a PITA at times. If you are more or less starting out I'd suggest looking into workshops as a way to build up a portfolio and build up your network. You can find them on MeetUp.com. You can also look into the classes and workshops at Unique Photo over in Fairfield. Again, they can be good, or not. There are some excellent photographers over towards Allentown that do classes and workshops.

GC - Practicality has no place when discussing electronic equipment. :-P

I normally shoot portraits with my 100mm macro. It's a bit long on an APS-C-sized sensor but it can resolve quite a bit of detail and is crazy sharp. My 50mm is starting to show its age with the new camera. It just doesn't resolve as much detail as the camera's 24mp sensor can capture.

The 50mm is an equivalent 75mm on my camera and makes for a nice short portrait lens. I took some portrait shots of my kids yesterday and while I did achieve the look I was going for, the detail, in such things as hair, simply wasn't there.

I'm thinking of getting a used/new Sigma 50mm f/1.4 HSM for ~$300. It's rated/reviewed well and has the full-time AF/MF focus system (which none of my lenses currently have.) My problem is that I got burned on an older Sigma and am a bit hesitant to spend any money on one again. I would get the new Sony/Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 but it's $1500!!!! Insane!

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '14

emaxxman - Practicality? What you mean everyone doesn't just fork out $2500 a pop like candy because it's the "norm"? Yikes, what has the world come to. Heck it might even make people want to go back in time to a simpler day. ;-)

In any case the-digital-picture has some benchmarks on the Sigma. From what it looks like, the Sigma produces results like $300. It didn't seem to have the typical Sigma lack of contrast in the low apertures. But instead it suffered from lower IQ with great contrast when wide open. It just is no Otus. Do you have other alternatives for Alpha?? What else can be adapted?

I saw that review on the-digital-picture. It was one of the only sites that didn't rave about it. They were comparing it to Canon's L version which is tough for any 3rd party to compete with though. Kurt Munger (alpha lens review site) said it was very good and better than all of the non-Zeiss offerings for the alpha line. Sigma will be releasing a new "Art" version of the 50mm. They're targeting Zeiss (MF lens) quality though. It will be about $900 though. At that point, I would just spring for the Zeiss alpha mount (just money, right?)

I could get an adapter and put some older manual focus lenses (Zeiss, Leica) or an AF Nikkor on it (in manual mode only too.) That's a thought.

Sony really needs to update some of their old lenses with some prosumer-priced offerings. I would be fine with a reasonably-priced and modern version of a f/1.8 85mm, 35mm, and 50mm.

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '14

Some Guy (Art):
Great pictures!

emaxxman - Nikon 50mm 1.4 are in the $75 range you just need to stay away from the 60's era that flares like crazy. But my thought was if the Leica/Zeiss means the screw mount then a Super Tak is about $100. That range was their specialty and as long as you don't need AF, you won't be disappointed with the IQ.

Say hello to my new baby that came today.

Fuji
Mar '14

Looks kind of retro... great style to it.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '14

yeah! I love the iso, shutter, exposure, aperture dials! No need to go into the menu anymore!

fujixt1
Mar '14

The Fuji's have great styling and their lenses are awesome. There are times I wish I got one of these new smaller-retro style cameras instead of upgrading my DSLR.

Enjoy!

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '14

The big reason I choose Fuji for a mirrorless camera was their commitment and service. They are always rolling out firmware updates to all cameras, even old ones. They are committed to the buyers. The lens quality is top notch!

I have owned Sony A100, A700, Canon 5d mkii and 1d mk III. ALL great cameras. I wanted something lighter and smaller but not to sacrifice image quality. Fuji has been my answer. If you see me on a photo walk, don't hesitate to come ask to try it out!

emaxxman- what dslr did you get? I am sure it's amazing too!

fujixt1
Mar '14

emaxxman - if you want to play with a really nice old manual lens you might try the Helios 44M 2/58. Built in Russia it is claimed to be based on the Biotar 2/58 (Carl Zeiss Jena). The one shown in the photo is on my Canon 5D2. My son got it for me and had it shipped from Ukraine. It's a very nice lens - sharp, single coated f2. Images are sharp, good contrast, and vivid. And the bokeh is gorgeous! Can be had for cheap.

fujixt1 - I upgraded my aged Maxxum 7D to a Sony A77. I do love the A77 and the picture quality is awesome. Sometimes though, I do wish I had a small but high image quality camera. The Sony NEX line is pretty nice but I'd want the A7 (which is still pricey.)

You're completely right about Fuji's support for their products. The big 3 should learn from that.

RAD - Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into it. I'm reading up on older manual focus lenses. They would be a worthwhile investment. If I move to the Sony mirrorless line, I could still use them with just a cheap adapter.

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '14

The Sony A7 is amazing. My buddy has one and the picture quality is amazing. The lens line up is pretty weak though. I hope Sony sticks to the A7 and doesn't think of the next new thing to only forget about the A7 group.

fujixt1
Mar '14

That's my biggest concern with Sony. They've made some great cameras since taking over the Minolta line but they're constantly looking to the next great thing.

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '14

fujixt1 - Maybe you should check into this?

Fuji is fixing light leaks on the XT1
http://www.thephoblographer.com/2014/03/14/fujifilm-starts-fixing-light-leak-problems-x-t1/

Apparently, the reported light leak issue with the Sony A7's has set the web afire with photogs checking to see if their cameras have light leak issues. Personally, I haven't noticed any with mine but I haven't really bothered with replicating the crazy conditions under which these leaks have occurred. My skill level is more of a detriment at this point in time.

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '14

Yeah I saw that already. I tested mine and it has no light leaks. Phew! But unlike more companies cough cough d600.... Fuji did the right thing. Admitted the problem, fixing the problem. Good job Fuji.

fujixt1
Mar '14

Finally have my full set up (so far)

Fuji X-T1
14mm

fujixt1
Mar '14

same set up

fujixt1
Mar '14

Looks good Fuji. Sharp.

I'm sick of all the brown grass and snow though. I want to see green again.

Fakuby
Mar '14

Nice shots fujixt1- I like these a lot!

Mar '14

emaxxman - try the 85 mm/1.8 for indoor/outdoor portraits...it's one of the best lenses in my bag.

Mar '14

Thanks. The 14mm (21mm equivalent) + the Fuji X-T1 makes me think a lot before taking a picture. It has really brought me back to composing before clicking.

Here is one that I was just testing out the lens but just as I was about to take the picture she got up to see what was in her face.

fujixt1
Mar '14

I love those ears, what breed is she?

4paws 4paws
Mar '14

Got her last year from 11th hour. They said she was a mix of Chihuahua/Terrier. I googled Chihuahua/Schipperke and pictures look exactly like her.

fujixt1
Mar '14

What is everyones favorite focal length and for what?

I am confused to what length i want next.

fujixt1
Mar '14

fujixt1 - Zoom. 17-70mm on one end, 70-210mm on the other. Then you compose in the view finder and it doesn't matter. Every shot has its own best length.

18-300

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '14

70-200 f/2.8 for sports, events & newspaper assignments ~ my go-to lens

Mar '14

anyone like primes?

The 14mm is great for landscapes and different unique angles on other photos. I just ordered the 27mm pancake for the fuji!

This Saturday will be a day of pictures.

fujixt1
Mar '14

When I shot film, my goto lens was a Sigma 24-70 f/2.8. Given that my kids were still young, the zoom was nice.

With a digital APS-C sized-sensor, I've been using a Minolta 17-35 f/2.8-4. It's not as sharp as the Sigma (go figure) but stopped down to about f/8, it's pretty good. It's great for landscapes since I stop down to f/11 or more anyway. Just stay away from straight lines since the zoom does have quite a bit of distortion.

100mm macro for portraits right now. I'd like to upgrade my 50mm (75mm equivalent on a crop sensor).

So, my favorite right now is probably my macro lens (based on the pictures I have hung up on my walls.) I'd like to have a set of 20mm, 50mm, 85mm, and 100mm primes.

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '14

35mm f/2.0 on full frame all day long for me.

Mar '14

I tend to measure my life in 50mms.

Mar '14

14mm but cropped a bit

fujixt1
Mar '14

beautiful christography

pmnsk pmnsk
Mar '14

This will be a great one for everyone. What happens when you get a 900MP camera and can zoom in on a face? haha YIKES!

http://www.robophot.com/portraits/

fujixt1
Mar '14

Holy smokes. The hairs look like thick fishing line at full magnification. Scary!

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '14

nice marriage - Nikon & Mamiya

Use it or lose it! A little practice set up with one of the 4x5s. The 4x5 holder in the foreground is loaded with Fuji instant color film.

PYC - Wow! No idea the medium format lens could be adapted. Based on the photo I can't see what model Nikon that's on. Is it film or digital? I do recall reading somewhere the revised Canon digital mount was actually based on the Hasseldingle. If you didn't have the $ to be Swedish, the Mamiya was the way to go. Only Contax dared to try to rival the Hassledingle but Mamiya came as close as they could for the $. Really, really high return for your basic portrait studio in the film days.

There is really great old glass to dabble in out there.

GC,
the camera is D5000 dressed in thick rubber "armor".
Unfortunately, Nikon bodies allow less "non_Nikon" lens to be used (with adapter), correctly with proper infinity, because of a shorter distance from bayonet to shutter (sensor). Canon, in this respect, has more "available" lenses.
I do like Mamiya-Sekorr - in fact, I love it! it is much better than Nikon lens that came with this camera (18-55mm).
I knew, that Mamiya made/makes medium format cameras and that their lenses should be of good quality. I tried and procured this Mamiya 2.8 45mm. two cons - all manual, and actual focus distance differs from what I see through the viewfinder. And only one pro - the pictures come out much better...

Nikon users - this lens is for you!

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/ele/4441240957.html

emaxxman emaxxman
May '14

Is "dope @ss" a technical term?? And what do you think he's going to do with the Spaghetti O's?? ;-)

I loved the Ken Rockwell bokeh killer comment.

emaxxman emaxxman
May '14

OK portrait and wedding photogs - do you use a flash bracket? If so, which one?

Stroboframe seems to be the most popular one. I know there are some high end ones like Newton brackets but those are crazy expensive.

emaxxman emaxxman
May '14

I don't know anyone that uses flash brackets. Everyone just bounces or drags the shutter.

Sorry, not helpful.

PS: Ride the trombone train.

May '14

Trombone train???

I have a Stofen Omnibounce and bounce too but it's not always effective in settings where I have a high ceiling or the walls are really close to the subject. I've tried dragging the shutter with better success...but I'm way too caffeinated for a steady shot with some of the slower shots.

emaxxman emaxxman
May '14

Pyc - The problem with distance to the film plane on "non-Nikon" affects Canon too. Canon DSLR's won't take their own older Canon FD line because of that. But older Nikon F series is the same mount and same film plane as the current Nikon DSLR's. So if find any lens made for Nikon, it will still fit all Nikon bodies. It just won't auto focus and depending on the model of whether it will read the exposure or not.

emaxxman - Love the comment if you like, but I'm not a big Ken Rockwell fan. I don't think he gets all that much right.

christography - You have my condolences for having to witness that. Personally I'd crop that out and if you have a bit more depth of field, the little girl on the right is a much better picture.

The things you see at a wedding that you can't unsee...

For me, the higher the ceiling the softer the light. I never go over 1/8 power pretty much ever.

The flash should freeze the action, just go with a wide lens and you don't even have to use the view finder. The more jittery, the better the light streaks.

May '14

Duh, now I get the trombone train joke. I didn't look at the picture before.

GC - I don't like Rockwell either. His writing comes off as childish. He reacts to each lens like a 10 year old reviewing a movie he just saw..."that's the most awesome X that I've seen in literally a million years, etc." I liked the comment because I viewed it as a dig against Rockwell.

emaxxman emaxxman
May '14

Chris - So you use manual flash even during a fast moving event like a wedding? While I understand the basics concept of it, I thought it was predicated on the flash to subject distance (+ aperture setting) to ensure a proper exposure. How do you address the varying distance in setting like that? Maybe I don't understand manual flash as well as I thought.

emaxxman emaxxman
May '14

I love my Gary Fong.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '14

I've thought about getting the Gary Fong collapsible. A bit pricey but it does seem to be worth it. I've also thought about getting the Rogue Flashbenders.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BP1W52Y/ref=s9_simh_gw_p421_d1_i6?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=07B09J2B32QSPA5DYZGM&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

Both are pretty large when in use.

emaxxman emaxxman
May '14

I'm not sure what flash unit you have, emaxx, but the Flashbender is top-heavy. So heavy that it pulls the head of my flash down. It was a no go for me.
I have the Fong Lightsphere and use it without any issues.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '14

Really? I'll have to try it out in store first. I have an old Minolta 5600.

emaxxman emaxxman
May '14

I bounce back behind me to the left/right depending. The distance won't change enough to matter.

If you just pull up the bounce card you can get the same look as the Fong. If you bounce back, you will get nicer catch in the eyes.

May '14

I ended up ordering the Stroboframe bracket and an off-camera hot shoe to go with it. For $36 total from Amazon, it was worth a gamble. I used it today to get some shots of my daughter in her prom dress. Given the terrible rain, I knew the shots would be taken indoors.

I experimented with manual flash earlier in the week in preparation. Today, I set the manual flash to 1/4 to 1/8 power (sometimes 1/2 because I used a very small aperture to maximize sharpness of my consumer lens.) I also shot around 1/30 to balance out the ambient lighting. It worked out really well. No harsh shadows and the light was very nice and soft.

Since I don't have a vertical grip on the camera, my pinky finger was just a tad squished against the bottom of bracket; totally unnoticeable after a few snaps.

Thank you for all the help.

emaxxman emaxxman
May '14

Anyone looking for an enlarger? I have one and a couple of small photo developing stuff I need to get rid of -

Kathleen Nolan Kathleen Nolan
May '14

@kathleen
What do you want for it?

May '14

Bring this thread back to the top. I need your opinion on my next lens.
Keep in mind these are focal lengths are for an APS-C lens on a fuji xt1.

For a portrait lens:
56mm f1.2 (85mm equivalent)
90mm f2 (135mm equivalent)
16-55mm f2.8 (24-70mm equivalent)

fujixt1 fujixt1
May '15

=>jujixt1

If you haven't already seen it you may want to bounce over to dedpxl.com and read Zack Arias' three part buyer's guide on the X-T1, lenses, and accessories:

http://dedpxl.com/learn/

FWIW I sold a Canon 5Dii and bought an X-T1 kit not long ago. Great little camera. I really like it.

WOW! Another fuji shooter! Great RAD!

I'll check out his articles.

Thank you.

fujixt1 fujixt1
May '15

Picking up mu Fuji 50-140mm f2.8 today! Best Buy had a huge sale or price mistake and I was one of the lucky ones to get one ordered. It has optical image stabilization and it's weather resistant.

This is equivalent to Canon/Nikon's 70-200 f2.8 IS.

I'll post pics of this beauty later today!

fujixt1 fujixt1
Jun '15

Sony was selling the a7r for $199 a few weeks back (on their site.) I didn't see it till it was heavily backlogged. They honored the original purchases but the backlogged orders were canceled. I would have liked one of them. I'm finding I simply can't hold my camera as steady as I want to anymore. A lighter camera would help greatly.

I'd love to get my hands on a 70-200 f/2.8. Tamron's looks really nice for the price. The weight makes it a beast though.

I'll bide my time for now and save up for whatever Sony mirrorless camera down the line. Hopefully they'll have figured out how to make a nice lightweight 70-200 f/2.8 by then.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jun '15

emaxxman - Would you settle for a 70-200 f/2.8 in a manual focus? Late 70's era Vivitar Series 1 runs about $40. You just have to be careful about which version to get the better multi-coating and avoid the later Cosina made trash. They made that in a Minolta mount which may need an adapter, I'm not sure. But it should work.

=>fujixt1 Congrats on getting a nice lens for a great price.

Fuji - wow congrats!! Can't wait to see pics with your new lens. Please post!!

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '15

While at a client's house yesterday late afternoon, I was struggling to get a wide enough shot of certain rooms and exterior with the 14-24 mm lens I have. I then brought out the GoPro & I that worked out great. All editing was done using Photoshop & Lightroom.

http://www.nickscaleraphotography.com/real-estate-photography/

Jun '15

Nick - I like the deck shot. I think you have a gyrocopter in your future.

GC - Do you have a link? I can only find a 70-210 version and it runs over $100 per google.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jun '15

emaxxman - Sorry about saying 200, it's 210. They made multiple versions of it, by 3 different companies. The one you want has a serial number that begins with 28 and was made my a high end but short lived company called Komine. Serial numbers that begin with 22 are not bad either, but those are a set f/3.5 instead of the variable f/2.8-4.0. The ones I see currently for sale in the Minolta are mostly the 22's (made by Kino Precision/Kiron). There is a third version, also set f/3.5 made by Tokina that is out there.

You may have to keep checking for a while, but I did see this Nikon version of the exact same thing. This is exactly what I have, and right at what I paid for it. If you like any of the optics on flower pictures you see me post, this is what they're all taken with:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vivitar-Series-1-70-210mm-F2-8-4-AI-S-Lens-with-Caps-For-Nikon-/321786130060?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aebf2ae8c

You would potentially also have the possibility of going after one of the Pentax screw mount versions and an adapter. That should definitely work.

There are several web pages devoted just to this specific lens and it's variants. LIke this:

http://www.robertstech.com/vivitar.htm

Thanks emaxxman - I was hanging out of a 2nd floor window for the deck shot!

I'm looking into both an indoor & outdoor drones now - any recommendations?

Jun '15

Gotta get yourself a drone, Nick. ;-)

I'm doing my first aerial photo shoot if a client's property tonight. So excited.

And I am VERY impressed with the quality of shots you were able to get with the GoPro. I imagine the post-process editing you did took the to the pro level that they are now. Great thinking and nice work.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '15

Thanks Rebecka - much appreciated! (Photo #1, 4, 5 were taken with a Nikon D750 and/or Nikon D7000 paired with a Tokina 14-24 mm on a tripod) - All other images were taken with the GoPro Hero 3+ Silver hand-held. I really enjoy the editing process as well.

Good luck with the drone shoot - sounds exciting!!

Jun '15

fyi- Posted a photo with my new lens in the Spring Summer Pet photos.

fujixt1 fujixt1
Jun '15

Just a quick photo with the fuji 50-140. SOOC

fujixt1 fujixt1
Jun '15

While on assignment for the Hunterdon Democrat this morning, I covered the Lebanon Borough 4th of July Parade in the pouring rain:

http://www.nickscaleraphotography.com/lebanon-borough-4th-of-july-celebration-2015/

Question - does anyone have experience with rain gear designed exclusively for cameras & zoom lenses. Although my gear is "weather resistant", I'd like additional protection from Mother Nature.

Thanks!

Jul '15

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N=11022872&InitialSearch=yes&sts=pi

These have worked well for me.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jul '15

Thanks - in my research, I found a company called Aquatech -- does anyone use these all-weather shields? https://aquatech.net/product/aws-medium-telephoto/

Jul '15

What's the best way to recover photos from a corrupted SD card? Both camera and computer say 'sd card needs to be formatted'. I used a program called z-a recovery to get the data files onto my computer (both jpeg and raw) but windows photo viewer /canon utility won't open them. Wonder if there's a better way or a way to fix what I've already done. Thanks!

Meister

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jul '15

If you haven't already, one of the first things to try is more than one card reader. Then the issues depend on whether the corruption is in the picture itself, or the list of files, or both. Corruption in the list of files is what that recovery software usually fixes. Sounds like you at least got that far. If the corruption is in the picture itself usually 90% of the pictures are fine and you only get an error when you try to copy or open one.

But your problem seems to be both since programs can't open the files after recovery. You can try a program like EaseUS to fix the part of a JPG that will allow it to be opened. But there's no telling how much of the image will still be good. This is usually problematic and you get weird out of kilter pictures with missing colors. And that's the good side if you can get anything at all.

Sorry, but if the corruption is in the files too, chances are you won't get much recovered.

Thanks for all the info GC. I'll try a couple more things and if I don't get anywhere I may try taking the cards to Unique Photo. I'm thinking this may have something to do with me not formatting the card before I used it. I would really like to get my photos back, it's my vacation pics from HI.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jul '15

If the pictures were saved on the card without error, then it's definitely not a matter of not formatting. If the situation is the camera can continue to see the pictures, but your PC can't see them using a card read, then yes it could be formatting. And in that case the card is not corrupt because the camera can read it. But you said the camera can't read it which is some kind of hardware issue.

@Nick - I use the rain sleeves 3wb linked to. They're super light to pack, and I use them mostly when I travel for photography. I've never bought anything more substantial than that, and they work great.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '15

I currently have a great Fuji set up... I want to add a full frame with better af to my list.

Opinions? Suggestions? Real life use?

Canon 5d mkiii
Nikon d750

Thank you

fujixt1 fujixt1
Aug '15

#1 Question - What are you going to shoot? Why full frame vs crop? The answer to those is going to drive what might be better for you.

I want to use it for:

landscape
astrophotography
Children/babies
my dog
low light indoor parties

fujixt1 fujixt1
Aug '15

5d ii. It has been the standard of pros for quite some time and is now last gen so can be had for under $1000. And really the lenses are what you want to spend money on anyway and canons are top notch.

Aug '15

I am looking to sell Photographic Equipment, but I am not sure prices, so I am putting this out on the forum for input.

I have 15 Cokin filters and a Philips P536 Thristor CLS X Electronic Flash.

Found some on internet, but the pricing varies. Any suggestions would be helpful.

animal lover animal lover
Sep '15

To follow up, Unique Photo was able to recover the photos on my two corrupted SD cards. Even ones I had deleted. They recommended downloading photos off of the card and then re-formatting it at regular intervals. Can't hurt. The cost was $30 per card.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Sep '15

animal lover - what I often do is to check on eBay. Search for an item and then check the completed listings to see if that item is selling or not and at what price point.

thank you RAD

animal lover animal lover
Sep '15

Unique Photo has tax-free shopping Dec. 11th to 13th.

emaxxman emaxxman
Dec '15

Has anyone migrated to using a tablet or a 2-in-1 laptop for photo editing. I just bought my wife a new 9.7" ipad and tried Lightroom and Snapseed on it. It was pretty fantastic!

My son occupies the desktop (which is pretty aged as it is) most of the time with homework and teaching himself how to program. I need something for myself. Was considering one of those ultra thin laptops but now considering a higher end tablet, eg iPad Pro (12"), Surface Tablet, or maybe a 2n1.

I like the Surface because I can install Lightroom and Photoshop (older versions that I own.) I hate the fact that Lightroom Mobile is subscription price only. This is just a hobby for me.

Anyway, if you have moved to tablets or 2n1, what are the pros/cons? Which tablet/2n1 are you using? Limitations? How do you manage the limited space?

Thanks.

emaxxman emaxxman
Oct '17

emaxxmn - My business laptop is one of the Lenovo 2n1's. I do everything in Lightroom on it. I have no issues with space - I have a farm of multi-TB NAS. (two surplus Buffalo's and a personal Synology) I agree on hating anything with the monthly fee. As for proc/con for me it's the screen. On the one hand the glass is just perfect for it. On the other hand the glass means you really need to watch the glare and changes in ambient light while editing. But that's really it.

Do you use the touchscreen feature? A pen or your finger? I got spoiled using the stylus pen on my Note 4 phone. I would spring for a pen if one was available.

Do you store the Lightroom catalog on laptop itself?

emaxxman emaxxman
Oct '17

Thanks for the tip. Just got a new iPad Pro and hadn't thought to load LR on it. Must give it a try!

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '17

I use mostly the mouse in LR because a lot of what I do is cropping and adjustments using a slider. That can be done by mouse, finger, or stylus. The biggest part I do with the touch screen is using the wand where I'm going back to the old analog days of being in a dark room with an enlarger. Old burn in or hold back type functions - for that I just use a very generic plastic stylus with a fairly fine point. I don't think using a finger is good for that, the real value is being able to be really super precise when it comes to the wand. I wouldn't use one of the generic stylus with the rubber ends either. The one I have I think came with a small media player that was touch but too small for your finger. It's all plastic with a very fine end - that's what works for me.

Well, I never did get that new tablet or laptop but I did get a new camera. Traded in my Sony a77 and 16-50mm lens (both crop sensors) and upgraded to the Sony a7 mark 2 full frame mirrorless. Also ordered the new 24-105 f/4 but it's on back order right now. Hopefully it's here before Christmas.

Since I don't have any e-mount lenses for it, I borrowed a friend's 50mm to test the camera out. Wow...my old camera had terrible noise ISO 400. I didn't even dare use ISO 800 on the old camera. ISO 1000 on the a7 was so clean. I'm sure iso 1600 would be fine as well.

Anyone getting new toys for Xmas?

emaxxman emaxxman
Dec '17

Getting a new thermal imagining camera for my investigations.

John C John C
Dec '17

emaxx you must post pics with your new toy! Dying to see. Fascinated by the Sony mirrorless cameras - please let us know how you like.

And John - if you get anything "interesting," please also share!

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '17

Hey! I’ve been into mirrorless for a while. Here are my new toys.

a7riii + grip
Sony 28mm f2
85mm f1.4 GM

five2270 five2270
Dec '17

Here’s the good stuff.

five2270 five2270
Dec '17

Five...Nice!!!

So envious regarding a7r3. Got a ysed a7r2 you want to sell cheap? ;-)

Alas, my lens is still back ordered and may not get here till after Xmas.

Rebecka....I absolutely will. Maybe a photo walk is in the future too and you can try it out.

emaxxman emaxxman
Dec '17

Serious Sony camera envy now kicking in...

Would love to do a photo walk. I had put my camera equipment aside for a while. Just dusting it off now in preparation for an upcoming trip to shoot tropical birds. Wondering if I'll think I'm ready for some new equipment when it's done. I'm still using a Canon 7D with Canon 300mm f4L + 1.4 teleconverter.

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '17

Sony A7rIII + 85mm f1.4.
I had Fuji before so I love mirrorless. Missed the speed of dslr so I bought the D850.
The a7riii is the best of both worlds!!!

five2270 five2270
Dec '17

Holy cow! I wouldn't have even attempted a shot in those lighting conditions, five2. Nicely done! What were your ISO and shutter speed there? What did you put in the box that is nicely lighting up the child's face - a tablet maybe?

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '17

1/60 - f1.4 - ISO2500 - Jpeg fine

In the box was a string of really small LED lights.

five2270 five2270
Dec '17

what a great pix................

4catmom 4catmom
Dec '17

Went to Longwood Gardens yesterday. While the camera handled the cold just fine, my body is still freezing. LOL.

Outdoor shot taken at ISO 1600, f/4, 1/10s at 31mm.

The in-body stabilization coupled with the optical stabilization worked out great! I was shivering the whole time as it was about 11F at this point. Not critically sharp but better than nothing (especially without a tripod.)

emaxxman emaxxman
Dec '17

Handheld, 1/20s, f4, 35mm-ish, iso80
This and earlier pic are both straight of camera.

emaxxman emaxxman
Dec '17

Correction...iso800

emaxxman emaxxman
Dec '17

Great pictures emaxxman - Could someone please tell me a photo program to use? - I am old school and use Picasa, which is obsolete now - I still have Windows 7 and work off a desktop computer so I can use Picasa but I will upgrade if a new program requires it. Thank you

jennymc jennymc
Dec '17

One with a lot of features specific to photography but not as bulk as Photoshop is Adobe's Lightroom. Try that.

Lightroom, even on the fastest PCs, is a dog when dealing with high resolution photos. You can still use it as long as you're not processing hundreds of photos at a time.

They recently moved to a new business model. The standalone Lightroom v6 is the last version available and won't receive any new updates. That's pretty important if you think you'll be upgrading to a new model camera in the future. That version is $150 on Amazon.

Adobe is trying to get people to go to their subscription based model. It's about $10/month but you'll always have the latest version and features.

If you shoot Sony cameras, Phase One offers you a free version of Capture One express. A full pro version (that supports Sony cameras only) is $79. It's a great deal. I'm still learning with it. Workflow is different to Lightroom so it's a challenge if you're used to Lightroom.

Snapseed is good for a free editor on Apple and Android smart devices. It support's raw files too.

emaxxman emaxxman
Dec '17

Thanks for the info GC and emaxxman

jennymc jennymc
Dec '17

BTW, do you still have the install program for Picasa? I lost mine and have yet to find a viewer as fast and nice as Picasa. I could treat you to a cup of coffee. :-)

emaxxman emaxxman
Dec '17

I second the Adobe Creative Cloud Photography Plan for $9.99/mo. including updates. Both Photoshop CC & Lightroom CC work great but I tend to use the Lightroom CC Classic version most that is installed on your computer (Mac for me), rather than the fully online option. http://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography.html

While on media assignment, picking favorite photos and captioning them is done fastest using Photo Mechanic. In fact, while the photos are being loaded (ingested), you can start tagging the keepers right away. It really speeds up the workflow, especially under tight deadline: http://www.camerabits.com/tour-v5/

Dec '17

emaxxman - I'm generally dealing with 26mp raw pics and it's OK. But then again my everyday machine is i7 quad core. I don't worry about the drag much. Lightroom is less of a drain than Eclipse is. ;-)

Shooting RAW is a must for me as I'm usually covering something in challenging light such as high school sporting events, theater performances or concerts.

MusikFest - Summer, 2017 (Lost In Place band)

Nikon Df (full-frame)
ISO 1600
1/320 @ f4.5

Dec '17

GC - I'm going to bite the bullet and upgrade my PC this year. I recently got a 4k monitor for Xmas (so I'll need a new video card at a min.)

My PC is an e8400 cpu with 4 gigs of RAM. I've only been adding hard drives to it as I run out of space; last one was a Samsung 500gb SSD which gave it new life. For 99% of things (MS-Office, kids' homework, web browsing), it's fine. It only slows down when I have Lightroom open. Add on Photoshop and we're talking painful.

emaxxman emaxxman
Dec '17

emaxxman - have you checked this out yet?

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html

PS - I un-installed Photoshop CC on my laptop & only use Lightroom

Dec '17

It's not just CPU power emaxxman - 4gb RAM is fine for all the rest but not Lightroom. Get at least 16gb on the new one.

Thanks guys. Yep, 16gb and a core i7 is the bare min that I will get.

I'm still a little conflicted though. If I go the desktop route, I'll build it myself. I priced out the components and I'm looking at about $700-$800 (reusing my current case and HDDs.)

I really want a 4K laptop (or at least one that can output 4K to monitor.) Those are significantly more. My son occupies the desktop most days so a laptop would give us a second machine.

I blew my cash on the camera and a France vacation this year (I know, first world problems.)

emaxxman emaxxman
Dec '17

@jennymc - I think you have a Canon, correct?

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/dslr/eos-5d-mark-iv/eos-5d-mark-iv#drivers_downloads_tab

Canon has "professional" level photo editing software that can edit your RAW files. It's free.

emaxxman emaxxman
Dec '17

Mac 4K options:
https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac/215-inch-imac-with-retina-4k-display

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206587

Interesting 4K info:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/4k-monitor-buying-guide-why-get-4k-4k-pcs-4k-laptops-4k-monitors-how-why-buy/

Dec '17

Yes, I do have Canon cameras - thanks again for everyone's help - It's perfect weather to work on the computer

jennymc jennymc
Dec '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.