Sunflower Fields

Sunflower Fields

For all you photography bugs, if you're willing to take a short trip to Allamuchy, there are a few fields in full bloom.

Alphano Rd. to RT 612 (the road where Allamuchy School is located), make a left. Go about a mile or so to Maple Lane where you make a right.

Fields are located directly on your left.

This pic was taken with my i-phone, but I'm sure you guys can post some great photos.

Re: Sunflower Fields

I was there last night.

Firefly Firefly
Aug '12

lola I can't believe you posted this. I was just wondering - are the NJ sunflower fields in bloom yet?! Thank you! I'll be going soon to capture these gorgeous fields.

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '12

Need to acquire a model that wants to chill with the sunflowers. How tall are these?

Christography Christography
Aug '12

A couple of things to know.

There is a pull-off on the side of the fields across from a house. A good place to park.
There is a LARGE dog ( unleashed) that lives there. He is neither friendly or unfriendly and barked and came over to investigate. He only came within 8 feet and barked. I told him to go back home and after a few minutes he did.

Sunflowers are tall - between 5 and 6 feet +. Bring a step ladder for best shots.
The sun is bright there and you will need a filter or wait til sunset ( which was beautiful last night.

Firefly Firefly
Aug '12

I imagine you'll probably need a stool for the model if you're trying to get his/her head at the same level or higher than the flowers' heads. Maybe even a small ladder.

What about a photo walk / shoot at the fields?

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '12

I drive pass the fields everyday going to work...just beautiful!

outsider outsider
Aug '12

and another

Firefly Firefly
Aug '12

Nice pictures, FF.

abbadabbadoooo abbadabbadoooo
Aug '12

Yay! I'm glad you guys knew about that location. They are just beautiful & I drive by everyday & pretend it's my backyard. Looking forward to more pics.

I have a few growing in my front yard. Very pretty.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Aug '12

Thanks abba....Even amateur shutterbugs enjoy a pretty flower or 2 or 1000's. ;-)

Firefly Firefly
Aug '12

Is this a private property? Will the property owner get on my case/get the cops on my case?

Some Guy (Art) Some Guy (Art)
Aug '12

Of course it's private property. This farm grows sunflowers and sells them for birdseed. However, having said that I was not the only one there last night taking pictures. Do no damage and I am sure there will be no issue.

Firefly Firefly
Aug '12

Thank you.

georget
Aug '12

From my trip of tonight. Is this the farm that belongs to the Gibbs family - the field on Maple Lane? If not - anyone know the owner?

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '12

Yes and yes

Firefly Firefly
Aug '12

Wow. Stunning picture Rebecka!

Pvmom Pvmom
Aug '12

Thank you, PV Mom. The hardest thing was getting this angle. I knew it was going to be, as the flowers are taller than I am. Managed to swing it, though. I'm going to email this to the Gibbs family in case they want the pic.

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '12

Rebecka - shooting directly into the sun like that isn't any picnic either. But the result of the pink sunset really tops the whole thing off.

Beautiful Rebecka! We went there for some family pics last night too but we were there around 5:30 to 6. The sky was not as nice as in your pic.

One thing is for sure, if I go back, I'm bringing my tripod and stepladder.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '12

Sorry - this didn't show up the first time I posted it ;-)

A couple of things to know.

There is a pull-off on the side of the fields across from a house. A good place to park.
There is a LARGE dog ( unleashed) that lives there. He is neither friendly or unfriendly and barked and came over to investigate. He only came within 8 feet and barked. I told him to go back home and after a few minutes he did.

Sunflowers are tall - between 5 and 6 feet +. Bring a step ladder for best shots.
The sun is bright there and you will need a filter or wait til sunset ( which was beautiful last night.

Firefly
3 days ago

Firefly Firefly
Aug '12

emaxx - yes, I would have missed you - I was there right before the sun went down over the horizon - I wanted to wait until the very last minute for a sunset pic.

GC - thanks to fabulous post-processing software, we can now shoot right into the sun, and either tone down the highlights or bring up the shadows... it really changes the game when it comes to light and what we're able to do with images.

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '12

What a beautiful picture Rebecka. I knew you wouldn't let me down.

Rebecka..beautiful picture, thanks for sharing!

outsider outsider
Aug '12

Love the color or the sky Rebecka...

Firefly Firefly
Aug '12

That's a calendar shot Rebecka!

Amazing work, as per usual, Rebecka ~ : )

happy2bhere happy2bhere
Aug '12

Gorgeous Rebecka!! You are so talented.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Aug '12

I went up to the fields this evening looking to get a great picture for myself. I found the perfect spot and climbed up to the roof of the car. I set up my tripod, lens, and filters. It was perfect timing as the sun starts to peer from behind some cirrocumulus clouds. I turned on the camera "no card" reads on the display. I forgot the stupid memory card! Arrrggg!

Well, it wasn't a total loss. I had a 16MB card in my insurance cam in the glovebox so I got one picture lol.

OP, the picture is great. It looks like the sunflowers are getting ready for a good night's rest! I never knew we had such a beautiful field of flowers nearby.

I thought that was you OP. I guess I'll be going back tomorrow...stupid me couldn't find the place at first, then I missed the blood-red sun down by minutes. I'm really hoping an ND grad and the +/- 3 stop dynamic range of negative film pulls through for me. Also broke said ND grad pretty good...snapped off a good chunk out of the clear part, so I can hobble by at the moment, but a new one is in order.

Aug '12

Wow Rebecka, you have such a precious gift..Your sunflower photo made me almost cry! Irl, I have only seen several sunflowers growing together...Nothing like your amazing pic! Thank you for sharing it bc I was able to vicariously live through the picture....You are amazing, and I am so thankful for the pictures that you create!

reedfamilyrocks reedfamilyrocks
Aug '12

I'm so mad I thought about taking the ride but then decided to take the pups for a walk instead.

Maybe tomorrow night I will go even though they are calling for storms. However, that may be pretty too.

I still brought my new camera out with me tonight because I need all the practice I can get but they certainly aren't like the ones you guys posted.

My pics are a bunch of weeds that can't even compare....

nosila nosila
Aug '12

I love it! Nosila

Firefly Firefly
Aug '12

Nosila, I like your pic better than mine! Love the subtle fence part that is down in the LR corner, the way the fence "descends" into the image, which draws the eye in, and also the angle - perfect! It looks like you may have been quite low to the ground?

OP - we found the exact same spot!! It was the only place to get enough elevation to get over the fields. Was wondering if anyone else would get here. I backed our big pick-up in and set up a tripod in the bed. You did great with your "emergency" memory card!

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '12

Nosila, that shot is beautiful.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Aug '12

Nosila, when did you get the 7D?

Aug '12

Hi Nosila,

Nah, not just a "bunch of weeds" ... they're Queen Anne's Lace!

(Wild carrot, definitely edible too.)

Reminded me of home as a kid, what with the perspective ...

Good eye!

redmink1 redmink1
Aug '12

Art - she recently bought it from someone you and I know... who upgraded to the 5D...

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '12

Congratulations on your purchase, Nosila! How awesome is THAT? I'd say that was some perfect timing!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '12

And you never know, there might be someone out there wanting to upgrade to an XS after finding even *used* T1i's are $400 despite NEW t2i's are only $550....

Nosila, that pic is awesome.

Martha Martha
Aug '12

You should have bought a Nikon and then you could've purchased this lens:
http://www.leonneal.com/blog/2012/07/31/nikon-800mm-f5-6-preview/

You could do your outdoor portrait sessions from inside your house. LOL!

I like the pic BTW. It has a real 3D quality with depth. The fence looks like it goes on forever in the pic.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '12

Some Guy- How did you know that I got a 7D? Yes, I bought it from someone that upgraded.

I still have A LOT of learning to do but so far I have been enjoying it.

Rebecka- Well I love yours more..HA HA. Yours you should make into a greeting card it's beautiful.

I went up there this morning and took couple pics but love your night time one better and OPs but not sure when I will get up there for the perfect timing so I will just keep looking at yours :)

nosila nosila
Aug '12

Big brother is watching...or EXIF data:

pic was taken on 8/4 at 7:33 pm with an exposure of f/16 @ 1/250 sec, ISO 640 and a focal length of 47mm.

Scary, isn't it?

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '12

emaxxman - I'm beginning to think you're right and the whole general consensus needs adjusting. I grew up in the print era where Nikon blew it and went low end and ruined their reputation. Their low end dalliance is long gone and perhaps their competitor's premium isn't worth it. An orthodontist can comment on the exact hundredth of a degree of an angle of the teeth's adjustment on those sample pictures. Those were probably taken a half mile away, give me a break. Maybe the hype isn't worth the $.

Emaxxman- I figured it has to be in the picture somehow....but how can you tell from that it was from a 7D?

Also, is there a way to block that? or is there a need to block it?

nosila nosila
Aug '12

Nosila - Every time you take a picture it stores the details of what camera, what lens, what aperture, what shutter and f-stop you used as well as when, and practically every detail you used. As emaxxman said this is know as "EXIF" data and cameras store that in every picture you take by default. You'd have to edit every picture to remove that and any other number of details.

Yep; found it in the exif data.

And forget the 800mm...with Nikon, you could've gotten THIS:
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/fisheyes/6mmf28.htm

Aug '12

Not sure why but I'm not a huge fan of the fisheye

See you guys taught me something today :)

nosila nosila
Aug '12

That lens usually runs around $20,000-$30,000 IF you can find one.

The little brother, f/5.6 version, is on Central Jersey Craigslist right now for $7250:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pho/3149486571.html

Aug '12

My not too impressive sunflower pics....very disappointed after uploading

nosila nosila
Aug '12

another one

nosila nosila
Aug '12

Yeah, I think the fisheye is a very limited application lens and could get old really quick. I think in my life, I've only had one chance where the fisheye would've been useful - inside the rotunda of the Capital building.

Beautiful blue sky Nosila.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '12

So if you're lucky and you get a second shot, only $3600 a shot?? Rushing right out for that one. Mean while that cloud backdrop is not so bad, not to mention a few thousand dollars cheaper. ;-)

Beautiful lighting this evening, did alot of HDR shooting. I will post some of my first renders tomorrow.

Here is the first rendered HDR shot of Monday's beautiful sunset. Unfortunately they are not as clear as I had anticipated. I think the car my tripod was set had moved slightly.

This set came out fantastic, I like the lens flare I got in a few shots

Love the flare and the cloud patterns, OP - what HDR photo processing program are you using?

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '12

I am using Adobe Photoshop CS5.

I have a question...when you guys with the nice cameras put up pictures are they enhanced color wise? Sorry amateur here..not sure what rendered refers to

Firefly Firefly
Aug '12

Sort of. HDR photography uses a series of shots merged together to enhance different lighting situations. In this case the sky vs the fields. If a picture is taken of the fields the sky is over exposed and appears very bright. If a picture is take of the sky then the fields seem very dark. You can tweek alot of things, like the color saturation, in adobe photoshop.

"Rendered" in OP's case means he used several images and combined them into one.

I think it's a pretty good bet that we (photo buffs) are all looking at the color of our images before posting them. When you take a digital picture, you can look at in so many different software programs, and tweak everything, including color, so my short answer would be yes, Firefly, the colors you see posted are often tweaked or adjusted (what you would call "enhanced").

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '12

Thanks for the explanation. I am wondering if my shots would look as good if I tweaked them.. With today's technology there seem to be professional photgraphers coming out of the woodwork. What does it take (in your opinions) to be a good photographer?

Firefly Firefly
Aug '12

Patience

Sure patience in taking the shot(s) but what about the knowing photo shop and the other programs? Does a good photgrapher need to tweak, enhance color and so on to be good or can a great picture just be snapped without all that.

Firefly Firefly
Aug '12

Having a great picture is a good start. On some shoots I've taken at least 500-600 images and only came out with one gem, and you never expect it either. Later when your flipping through the images it's always; 'garbage', 'garbage', 'garbage', 'garbage', 'hey there's something', and then 'wow'. Two weeks ago during the heat wave, I was at the High Point monument it was 120 degrees inside and people soaked head to toe with sweat were running out the doors. I set up my tripod, sweat pouring from my head and took a series of open exposure of the stairway up. You just have to remember to keep shooting even if it means laying in mud or getting frostbite on your hands. Sometimes there is something you won't see and that otherwise mundane subject become extraordinary under the right circumstances. Don't worry to much about equipment, I've gotten plenty of 'wow' pictures using only a 6MP point and shoot.

Here is another HDR image, 30 minutes to sunset

Thanks OP...I call it a numbers game in terms of getting a good pic. I lay down all the time - I like the view

Firefly Firefly
Aug '12

Firefly- you have to start with a really great image, and then the post-processing just adds the finishing touch. You do have to use post-processing software to be a pro in this day and age.

Rebecka. Rebecka.
Aug '12

One of my favorite quotes is as follows:

"A photographer with a "no photoshop" rule is like a sprinter with a "no cleats" rule. You can do it, but you'll be hard pressed to find people taking you seriously."

And as far as being a good photographer vs being a "professional" photographer goes; they usually have little to do with eachother, especially now that "professionals" seem to be "coming out of the woodwork" as you had put it. From what I've read, most say it's around 90% business and 10% photography, so you really have to be good at business and selling yourself rather than being a good photographer. Of course if you are just awful, you might find yourself on here:

http://youarenotaphotographer.com/

Aug '12

You can have allllll the software out there, the best camera they have and still take TERRIBLE pictures

nosila nosila
Aug '12

Exactly, Nosila. That's why I aim to get it right in the camera first. Especially since, back in the olden days when we actually had FILM in the camera, you either got the shot or you didn't.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '12

3wbdwnj my sentiments exactly.

Firefly Firefly
Aug '12

I still shoot film...but even with digital you either get it or you don't. A properly exposed digital photo will always look better than one that was under/over and corrected in post.

And since the sentiment seems to be that film no longer exists, I have spare cameras and lots of extra rolls of film if anyone is interested in trying it out (especially slides) on our next photo meetup. ~_~

Aug '12

"but even with digital you either get it or you don't"

And since digital sensors behave more like slide film, it's even more imperative you do everything you can to expose properly.

I still bracket even when shooting with RAW.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '12

Hey, guess which film I got back yesterday XD.

New Portra 160 that I pushed around WAY too much in post. This is how I had hoped it would come out, though. The tripod was sitting flat on the ground and I had to focus through a 90 degree finder, wide open on my 35mm. I think I hit it pretty good.

Aug '12

Awesome composition and exposure Art. The yellow sunflower just pops off of that "leaf" background.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '12

Love it!

Firefly Firefly
Aug '12

Was up in Sussex Co last night and came across a sunflower maze!! You can actually go in and walk around and spend all day there - for $8. But, alas, the lighting wasn't the best as all the sunflowers were facing the wrong way, so I made the best of it and got a shot of a backlit flower with lens flare AND a sunstar. Too much?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '12

Here's another=====>
I'll definitely make another attempt in the morning on another day.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '12

Address? Google map? how do we get there?

Aug '12

Here you go!

http://www.sussexcountysunflowermaze.com/

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '12

I'm trying to figure out if these posts are in fact from last august 2012 so I don't drive all the way there and find out they need another month ;)

tamara contreras tamara contreras
Jul '13

Yes that is correct, that is what the Aug '12 refers to.

The posts are all now almost a year old.

tamara Contreras They need another month!
Sunflower maze doesn't open until Aug,

Firefly Firefly
Jul '13

I went for a drive in Allamuchy yesterday - I didn't see any of the farms growing sunflowers... unless they planted late this year.

Where exactly can i find this sunflower field?

Nikki
Aug '13

Nikki, the fields were at Gibb's Farm in Allamuchy. The pictures were taken off of Maple Lane. I checked most of that area and no farms have planted sunflowers this year.

Nikki - There are good detailed directions in the very first post. As the post before you pointed out that was all last year.

OP - They have not bloomed yet, but I suspect I've seen at least one field planted that may be ready in a week or two. If my suspicions are right, Donaldson's planted right along the edge of Allen Road.

Passing Donaldson's Farmstand today on Allen Road all the way to Rockport...there is about 1/2 mile of rows and rows of gorgeous Sunflowers. I am going back tomorrow to take some pictures. ..You must go see it....It is beautiful!!!

joyful joyful
Aug '13

Donaldson's also planted sunflowers in fields on both sides of Airport Rd for the Audubon Society that are in bloom right now.

Just saw Donaldson s sunflowers . After a long hard day that put a smile on my face.

A good day
Aug '13

Yes, I saw these yesterday too ! They were all facing away from me as I drove up the hill, need to go back with the camera and get pointed in the right direction!

These are for the Audubon society? I thought maybe for commercial use, the sunflower oil, or birdseed.

hktownie hktownie
Aug '13

Donaldsonfarms is going to be doing sunflower tours starting tonight or tomorrow. Might be something to check out. Learn stuff and get beautiful pictures and I think I heard there will be water and melon or something at the end of the tour. They have about 30 achors planted of sun flowers.

Helper Helper
Aug '13

I was just at Donaldson's today and felt happy in the same way as the previous poster, a good day. The sunflowers are an awesome sight. Here are the details:

Sunflower Tours! August 31st thru mid/late September. Mon-Fri 9AM and 5PM. Saturdays and Sundays 9AM, 12 noon and 5 PM. Weather permitting.

Adults $5, Kids 5-13 $3, under 4 years free
Tours are 45 min to 1 hour long
Enjoy and photograph the sunflowers
Farm fresh fruit and water provided during the tour
Sunflowers can be cut in the field for purchase $2 each
Photo Contest on Facebook

40 acres of Black Oil Sunflowers for the NJ Audubon Society. Seeds will be harvested for birdseed and proceeds will fund conversation work. Hay ride
with optimum photo locations.

Chickadee Chickadee
Aug '13

There are sunflowers planted along both sides of Airport Road as well.

Tours? What could it be a tour of? If someone goes, please report back. I'm interested in hearing what it's like.

Regarding the sunflowers in Allamuchy, we drove there last week and didn't see anything that looks like sunflowers. The field where the sunflowers were last year had some a crop of something that was really short in height. If there is a field, I'd be interested in hearing about it. The view there is more scenic (since there are no high power towers.)

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '13

I'd love to take some photos of a sunflower field somewhere, but I can't walk the distance. Where can I go to take a few photos (and safely park my car nearby?)

Someone
Aug '13

Someone...you could easily walk to the flowers at donaldsons from their parking lot. I doubt they would have an issue with that since people take pics on the farm all the time.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '13

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/express-times/index.ssf/2013/08/warren_county_sunflower_fields.html

Article and photo of the sunflower fields at Donaldson's in the Express Times today.

Chickadee Chickadee
Aug '13

Thanks for the article, Chickadee.. Sounds like it might be worth a trip to Augusta, NJ also to Liberty Farms to see another glorious planting of Sunflowers. How could anyone be in a bad mood after they get to see this beautiful sight??

joyful joyful
Aug '13

Tours of the sunflower field?? I'm sorry that just sounds money hungry

Nosila Nosila
Aug '13

Well it looks like they're donating the crop as birdseed to the Audubon Society. It's understandable that they would want to offset some of the costs with tours. I still wonder what's in a tour though.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '13

Really great that they are donating. This is a worthy org to donate to. I shall take a tour .

A good day
Aug '13

I didn't realize they were donating their time and money- so I take it back haha

Nosila Nosila
Aug '13

Picture from Donaldsons (Allen Road)

Mariann Mariann
Aug '13

Great Picture....Mariann...ours did not come out as nice.

joyful joyful
Aug '13

We grew our own this summer...the mammoth kind at that :) My boys saw the ones at Donaldson's and asked why their's were so tiny.

LadeeVee LadeeVee
Aug '13

Here's a close up of one of them. Easily the size of a grown man's head.

LadeeVee LadeeVee
Aug '13

I work right around the corner from the sunflower maze in Augusta. I don't plan on doing the maze, but I hope to see the flowers soon :)

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Aug '13

Great picture, Mariann.

Beautiful flowers, LadeeVee!

Tracy Tracy
Aug '13

Regarding Liberty Farms, pictures on the web look awesome. Just one question - is the fee only if you go into the maze? We just want pictures near the sunflowers; don't actually want to go into the maze.

emaxxman emaxxman
Sep '13

Some info on Donaldson's farm tours...

I double checked this morning, Gibbs farm is all soybean this year.

My DD and I went to Donaldson's today! She really enjoyed it, was a nice tour of the farm as well.

Cherie Cherie
Sep '13

so glad I found this site and this thread - the flowers were spectacular - we parked along airport road and had a great time taking pictures - it is really gorgeous - I'm posting one of many

noname noname
Sep '13

I went to Donaldson's yesterday and took the 5PM tour. I highly recommend it. There are spectacular photo opportunities everywhere.

Beautiful pics one and all. I'm enjoying each one!

Chickadee Chickadee
Sep '13

Black Swallowtail Butterfly

Monarch Butterfly

I forgot to mention they were shooting a independent film yesterday, with zombies!

I can't wait to go back when the lighting is better.

Beautiful OP. I'm also hoping to go back when the weather clears.

noname noname
Sep '13

Was driving along Airport Road this evening on the way to Walmart and was surprised at the amount of people alongside the road with cameras. They were across the street from the back of Donaldson's taking in the beautiful field of sunflowers. Is that also Donaldson's property there on the other side of Airport Rd?

Headed up the road a bit and the kids got a HUGE kick out of the low flying plane coming in for a landing at Hackettstown Airport. Would have went right over us if I hadn't chickened out and slowed up a bit :-)

More pictures - http://www.nj.com/warrenreporter/index.ssf/2013/09/sunflowers.html

Just passed Donaldsons a few minutes ago and saw two artists with their pallets and one with a gorgeous almost finished oil painting of those beautiful Sunflowers..

joyful joyful
Sep '13

Anyone interested in a sunset tour photo shoot? I contacted Joan and she said it would not be a problem, granted we could get 15 or more people.

I took some more great pictures this evening. A special thank you to Katie and Greg.

I retouched my previous picture to make the sunflowers brighter, not quite finished yet.

Hats off to OP, noname, Mariann, Cherie and LadeeVee for amazing photos!

positive positive
Sep '13

wow - beautiful show OP..............I might be interested. When were you thinking of doing the tour?

noname noname
Sep '13

Hopefully we can organize this soon. The field where I took that pic is starting to get past peak. Keep in mind we need some specific clouds to catch the low sunlight over the ridge and Sunday has a weak storm front passing through our area.

Thought I'd share a pic of one of the sunflowers that is now growing over onto our deck. It's at face level with me now and I was able to get some fun close up shots.

LadeeVee LadeeVee
Sep '13

Here's a side view of the same flower.

LadeeVee LadeeVee
Sep '13

both beautiful LadeeVee

noname noname
Sep '13

Thanks, noname. We've enjoyed watching them grow from seedlings to this.

LadeeVee LadeeVee
Sep '13

nice picture!

skippy skippy
Sep '13

why are they charging for tours when the guide is a volunteer from the Audobon Society? is the money donated to the Audobon Society? definitely beautiful to look at, but the donaldson greediness has taken the gild off the lily for me...bad enough they rake folks over the coals for corn, hayrides, and pumpkins with their high prices. please tell me all monies are being donated!

Gen3Townie Gen3Townie
Sep '13

Townie, you have to understand Donaldson's Farm is a business. The tractor takes diesel, the employee who drives the tractor gets paid. The tour guide is usually an employee of the farm. Planting and soon harvesting the crop takes time and money they will not get back since they are donating the crop to the Audubon society.

As for prices of produce, you can't compare shoprite prices. A local farm operating in NJ has tremendous overhead. Taxes and seasonal viability alone are why so many farms have folded up. Embrace the fact that you have a local farm with a very accessible market and a diverse selection.

Also consider all that Donaldson's has done for the community before you judge.

Here is one of yesterday's sunset shots.

going back tomorrow with my cousin - such a beautiful sight and my camera is itching to take more pix

noname noname
Sep '13

OP not trying to give you a big head but your pictures are truly amazing!

positive positive
Sep '13

Donaldsons tomatoes were the same price as Shoprites and taste much better!

I like how Doanldsons has their Friday nights in the summer, their maze in the fall with pumpkin picking.

The good thing about it you are not forced to go there and buy their products. I find their produce prices pretty much the same as other local farms.Some higher some lower. best also is pretty comparable and they buy from each other. they help each other out.

Christine Christine
Sep '13

I tend to wreck photos when I take them with my phone...

Sep '13

Count me in for a sunset tour!

Someone
Sep '13

Thank you to all who brought attention to these beautiful fields. If Donny's continues doing this and getting attention, the traffic will be a nightmare, but it is so beautiful and makes me loving here more!!

Hope maxwell Hope maxwell
Sep '13

I went back today with friends - so beautiful but I could see that the petals were beginning to wilt..............so if you haven't been, I suggest getting there soon

noname noname
Sep '13

Great pic noname eventhough the sunflowers are a bit wilted it shows another perspective.
Actually I find it very interesting.......the flowers look sad. I know I'm ready for the nut house! Lol!

positive positive
Sep '13

Reminds me of The Wizard of Oz for some reason. Don't ask and yes they do look sad.

Firefly Firefly
Sep '13

Even though some low clouds rolled in at the last minute, last night's sunset wasn't bad.

OP what a beautiful pic!

really beautiful, OP -

noname noname
Sep '13

OP....that picture of the Sunflowers at Sunset should be on a Calendar. Absolutely beautiful!!!

joyful joyful
Sep '13

"A flower head the rest" the lookout....

Cherie Cherie
Sep '13

Cherie: That Sunflower high up by itself looks like it is teaching the others "how to dance the "Twist".....

joyful joyful
Sep '13

perfect sunset clouds out there

Clouds didn't last :P

Sep '13

I know, this is the 3rd time this has happened... how can clouds evaporate so quickly? lol

OP-- glad to hear it's all being donated. Not judging...just asking. Guess my past experiences there have made me feel like it's all about the money with them over the past ten years...lost it's small town feel to me. glad for their financial success, tho.

Gen3Townie Gen3Townie
Sep '13

@ the Sussex County Sunflower Maze

OP your pictures are beautiful ! We went there Saturday and it was just lovely !

bowie bowie
Sep '13

Sadly Friday's thunderstorm wiped out the field on Airport Rd.

I went there last week with the family for some family portraits. It was beautiful. It's amazing what a difference one week makes. I really hope they plant them again next year.

I also got to meet OP and Some Guy (Art). Got to talk photo equipment stuff. Great guys.

emaxxman emaxxman
Sep '13

Emaxx, I almost forgot. Here's the link for lighting 101 from strobist:
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html?m=1

Sep '13

Thanks Art.

emaxxman emaxxman
Sep '13

Wow....Gorgeous picture Emaxxman! Just amazing!

Unique photo's class is coming up this Saturday, 9/21 for a sunset tour of Donaldson's sunflowers.

$35/person

http://www.uniquephoto.com/event/475

Sep '13

Thank you SueR.

emaxxman emaxxman
Sep '13

Not much to see there...the outing is late by a week or so....so glad 8. Got there twice

nails nails
Sep '13

Any prospects for 2014? It doesn't look like Donaldson's farm has planted any this year.

Yes, Donaldsons will have sunflowers mid to late August

I did a slow roll past Donaldson's this evening... I did not see any potential sunflower fields. Nothing is posted on their website about upcoming tours. I also passed by Gibbs and it seems like they did all corn this year.

Donaldsons has them
In the first field before the strawberries but they are only a few inches tall so far

Just an Update. Did another pass at Donaldson's farm. From what I can see, they have a few fields planted, but they are short- very short. The most mature field, near the horse stable, looks like it may bloom in a week or 2- the tallest plant there being about 4 foot high.

Scoped Donaldson's farm this morning. Looks like they planted in the same fields as the 2013 season, which is great news! Most of the plants are only knee-high at this point.

I made a map of observable fields. There may be more I could not see. Marvel at my state of the art graphics...

RH Farms at the top of Naughright already has some blooming.

I am marveling, OP! Nicely done map, and lovely of you to take the time, so that the many of us who love to photograph the sunflower fields can find them easily! :-)

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '15

There a place near branchville that I went to today. Here is a picture.

fujixt1 fujixt1
Aug '15

Of some of the field

fujixt1 fujixt1
Aug '15

^Brodhecker's Farm

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Aug '15

The sunflowers are starting to bloom. Ive updated the map. The stuff in red looks like some sort of soy.

I'm trying to put together a sunset tour for this weekend at Donaldson Farms. Is anyone interested?

Depending on when, I might well be interested..........

5catmom 5catmom
Aug '15

They grew so fast! 2 weeks ago they were only knee high

hktownie hktownie
Aug '15

It's scheduled for Sunday at 6 pm

OP on the phone
Aug '15

Here is a newspaper clipping showing some mutant sunflowers my Dad grew some years back:

a friend has some that height - really wierd

5catmom 5catmom
Aug '15

Driving down Allen Road this evening past Donaldson's farmstand...seeing rows and rows of those beautiful sunflowers....Just breathtaking!!

joyful joyful
Aug '15

Yep. Said the same as Joyful. Airport rd and allen rd around 6:30pm. Breathtaking.

A good day
Aug '15

I have to thanks Donaldson Farms, Katie and Joan for being so accommodating. This weekend's weather looks fantastic and most of the sunflowers are in bloom. If anyone would like to go, please indicate here as the tour has a cap of ~35.

-note, please do not message me through this website as I will not receive the e-mail.

Message me here instead...

Original Poster Original Poster
Aug '15

What does this cost, OP?

Aug '15

15 bucks for the 2 hour tour.

I'm in :)

Aug '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.