Smell of cat pee in the house and I have no cats

Any ideas on how to stop stray cats from peeing around the house or under the house. My house is starting to really smell. Thanks

Sorry bro. I just like to pee around your pad

Mike Mc Mike Mc
Jul '12

My place still smells like cat pee after a few years and i never had a cat in my life. Hardwood floors need to be ripped up if they peed on them. Worse smell in the world when it gets hot and humid. It hits you right in the face . You can get rid of rugs and scrub with every chemical known to man but if it goes to the floor and beyond it's lights out.

Flapjack
Jul '12

Found this..maybe the coffee grounds and orange peels, though you would probably need a lot of them if you don't know where they're going.
http://www.ehow.com/how_6367438_keep-stray-cat-spraying-house.html

Good Luck!

Bessie Bessie
Jul '12

Do you have mulched gardens around the border of the house? I have found that even the stray cats in the neighborhood like to use my front gardens as a litter box. With all of this hot weather we have been having I don't always have the time to get out there and mix up the first layer of mulch. Sometimes the heat will bring out the urine smell.

NJKID1010 NJKID1010
Jul '12

Boxwood shrubs tend to smell like cat pee too.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jul '12

3wbdwnj is correct about the boxwood shrubs.

olddakej olddakej
Jul '12

donaldsons sells granular products that keep small animals out of vegetable gardens. keeps groundhogs and rabbits away worth a try. moth balls and flakes work too.

Ginny Ginny
Jul '12

It could be plants or mold instead of cats. But if Jim has actually seen the cats around and wants to keep them away, I would agree with Bessie's link. Several good ideas there about sprinklers and certain kinds of plants that will keep them away without chemicals.

If it's mold, including mold on shrubs or in mulch, try neem oil - all natural fungicide.

Stray cats? Maybe they need homes or help-Animal control will solve your problem. ;)

mallardducks mallardducks
Jul '12

Kids are breaking into homes and going to the bathroom on floors, the latest fad this summer :)

iJay3 iJay3
Jul '12

Mike Mc - Well than stop it dude! lol

mallardducks - I have tried AnimalControl and either no one comes out or no one answers.

I will take a look at the link but I have seen the cats around the house and it only came on the past few days. I only smell it in my kitchen too. I know there used to be a place where the cats could get in underneath the house but I boarded it up.

Thanks for your help!

molds and or mice. I was always able to smell mice urine in warehouses and things on top of soda cans. It is similar!

Pepper Cat Pepper Cat
Jul '12

Cat urine consists of mainly three chemical parts the urea, which makes the urine sticky and allows the other two parts to create odors. Urochrome gives the urine its ugly yellow color that stains carpets, furniture the walls and anywhere the cat sprays or urinates. The third part of the urine is made up of Uric Acid. The uric acid in the urine consists of salts and crystals that give off the extremely pungent odor that turns into an invisible gas. We use spray’s candles to eliminate the smell. A permanent solution, a product called Air-ReNu, only has to be applied one time, works 7/24/365

Vinnie Vinnie
Aug '12

May be boxwood shrubs outside your windows

Marie Casiere, DVM
Oct '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.