Pacific Gourmet Foods Solicitation

Earlier today a man with a Pacific Gourmet Foods truck pulled into our driveway and came to the door. My husband went out to his truck and listened to his sales pitch. However, I wondered if it is legal for door to door sales in Independence. Had I been home alone w/ my children, I would have been very uneasy about the situation. My husband thinks he stopped in our driveway b/c our garage was open and we had signs of activity (kids ride on toys, etc). Just wondering if he stopped at any other homes in the area? He did not approach any of our neighbors.

Thanks. Elle

I'm in Independence; he didn't stop at my home.

Everybody's trying to make a buck, leave the poor guy alone. The fact that it bothered you enough to post here speaks to your character.

theHHSinformant theHHSinformant
Jul '12

I'm in Independence; he didn't stop here.

MrsPipes MrsPipes
Jul '12

You do have an option of not answering the door.

Firefly Firefly
Jul '12

I personally will not listen or entertain the idea of someone coming to my home 1exception girl scout cookies lol

Cowgirl1 Cowgirl1
Jul '12

you should call the police. had a carpet cleaning business come to my house in hackettstown. said they would do 2 rooms free. had neighbors addresses that they said signed up then asked if they could use my phone. police tracked them down. said they were bogus. business address was a garage in penn. I didn't let them use the phone and said no thanks. trust your instincts if something doesn't seem right.

Ginny Ginny
Jul '12

Thanks for your reply, Ginny. So true b/c I did have a "strange" feeling about it.

try calling the company and see if they solicit door to door. Looks like locally they are out of Bethlehem, PA. I couldn't get the link to post. What just put up the red flag for me is that you said their were kids toys and an open garage. Now, the guy could have been totally legit, but it never hurts to ask. Better safe than sorry.

Pacific Gourmet Foods
(610) 691-7082
3090 Emrick Blvd, Bethlehem, PA 18020

JessM. JessM.
Jul '12

They came to our house in Mansfield a few weeks ago. My son was outside and he went inside and got my husband. I don't think you should be approaching children to see your meat. My husband said he was a little pushy and told him no. Man was very disappointed. I did seem him also riding on rt 46 in budd lake, recently. Who would by meat off the back of a truck anyway, very wierd...LOL!

LadyinMansfield
Jul '12

People do it all the time from Schwann - it's not that unusual just another marketing technique.

Firefly Firefly
Jul '12

WAs this a pick up truck with coolers or fridges in the back? It must be the same guy. He and a woman came to my house in Allamuchy. Real fast talker. I told them I don't keep cash in the house. Which is the truth. I didn't get a bad feeling about them, just a pushy uninvited interruption kind of feeling. They never came back. Said one of my neighbors was a customer. Just trying to make a buck I guess with the economy the way it is.

Jaemae Jaemae
Jul '12

The guy is legit. With food products they hate to throw it away. He has a set route of people who already purchases and if he has one or two customers who bail on the purchase the guy tries to sell it door to door at the end of his day. I know this because I used to do it.

Jon Orenstein Jon Orenstein
Apr '13

Door-to-door solicitation is prohibited in Mansfield Twp. Not sure about Independence. Call the police if you are concerned.

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '13

he comes to phillipsburgh. i am questioning now food product and honesty

jaye king jaye king
Aug '14

they stopped at my house also, nice guy. I bought some stuff from him . excellent quality. i am now a regular customer

Having a lot of trouble with this Pacific food company. The salesmans name was Dan Whitney. Told us if we were not happy with any of their products we should call him and it will be replaced. That was in june 2015, still havent responded to my complaint, don't even call us back now! Had the nerve to ask to loan him money because his dad died and he couldnt make it back home (tears and all) wanted 1,200.00 with a handwritten note that he would pay us back! Do not deal with this person, very big liar,found out a lot about him! I've never been so sorry that I ever answered my door that day!

Judith Rauenzahn Judith Rauenzahn
Nov '15

Well, here we are in Nov., and still havent had this problem resolved, I wish I knew how to post a picture on here of the hamburger this Dan Witney sold us. My dog won't even eat it. The first batch of burger was great. The second was dark,and looked as if it were defrosted and refroze. Called the company and was promised to take care of this. So far, nothing,just a phone call and a promise. Dan Witney owes us 1,200.00, even signed a note stating he'd pay us back, that was June. He changed his name on face book to Sardella!! Omg,I'm so angry! DO NOT DEAL WITH THIS CROOK !!

Nov '15

Why would lend a stranger money with a hand written note? Wow!

Redwing
Nov '15

By the way, found out his Dad didn't even die! Who in Gods name would lie about something like that? A drug addict perhaps?

Nov '15

Perhaps a Tinker?

Chapín Chapín
Nov '15

wonder if they've passed mandatory health inspections - wondering if anyone has reported them to the appropriate state agency?

5catmom 5catmom
Nov '15

We bought a case of meat (various sub-packs) and two trays of fish. We tried some of the fish Sea Bass and Orange Roughy. The Sea Bass was old and tasted bad. Even the flesh was breaking down. The Orange Roughy was not quite so bad, but it did not taste good. All of the products seem to have thawed and been refrozen. In short the products were not safe to eat.

I would recommend not buying from them.

DanaR DanaR
Jan '16

Creepy comments on the whole.I can relate to common courtesy in respecting privacy and or boundaries.Yes there are many gray areas in this world.But I don't think anyone on the business side meant any harm.Besides,the vendors have a public reputation to uphold.

Lazarus Lazarus
Mar '16

Also had a run in with Dan Whitney. Every word out of his mouth is a lie, tries to push a huge amount on you and it sill breaks down to $15-$40/lb depending on what you buy. Tell this guy to F off when you see him.

James
May '16

If your dumb enough to buy from this company when they charge $12 to $26 a lb for chicken, shrimp or sirloin that they pass off as filet mignon. Someone just was at my house and the supposive owner Sandford I think is name was tried his heart out to convince me his stuff was special and better than the grocery store. Ummm at that price per pound it better cook itself and taste like a million bucks. I am a chef at a prominent restaurant and this steak is not what they claim it to be and is priced 2 to 3 times as much as any grocery store. I looked them up with the better business bureau and well their rating speaks for itself. Just happened across this site while researching if this company is legit so I felt I had to warn people.

Elsa D Elsa D
Dec '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.