Looking for a new bank, who do you recommend and why?

I am looking for a new local bank. I currently use Wells Fargo and I am not that impressed. I don't like how they have their bill pay structured. They withdraw from you account but your payment is not delivered for 1-5 business days. And I think their way2save program stinks.

What other bank in Hackettstown would you recommend and why?

On the Money
Jul '12

First Hope Bank. There is a branch at the intersection of Rte 46 and East Ave. Great customer service and I really like the 'Kasasa' program they've instituted in the past year: good interest on checking and savings and other perks. I've been with them over 10 yrs.

TeeCee TeeCee
Jul '12

I use PNC and do not have any complaints. They repay all ATM fees , free notary service to name a few perks.

I'm happy with TD Bank. Really like their weekend hours, online is good, paperless and you can take your change to their little coin machine and they don't take a cut like CoinStar.

itdontmatter
Jul '12

do you have to have an account at TD to use the coin machine?

gardens gardens
Jul '12

@gardens, yes I thought you needed an account for no fees at the machine. I opened a small account just so I can use it.

I have Chase and find that they are fine - ATMs everywhere.

Valley National has been good to me for 20yrs. Deal mainly with one in White twp. as is near work, or the Hack office. Have had no issues with them as to charges etc., have mortgage and all other accts with them

i also had wells fargo and did not like them. we switched to first hope and are using their kasasa program. so far its been great!

Sam25 Sam25
Jul '12

Always been happy with PNC.

Gadfly Gadfly
Jul '12

I had Chase years back while living in Morris County. Loved their people there and they certainly are everywhere. But then JP Morgan came along and moved people branch to branch every other day. And then the fees came after being free for so long plus they attempted to delay releasing your money to the maximum allowed. I could literally see my pay check go out of my business checking one day, have it wait three days until it appeared mysteriously in my personal account. And Chase gets two free days of interest off me.

I switched to Fulton and like their people a lot. Never had a fee, one of the lowest minimums, and they'll refund foreign ATM fees. Free on line banking, and the money is there the next day, no yanking you around. I would go to Hope as well, there are good people and no fees there as well. TD I had for the business for a while, but it was tough to get a relationship going because the people always changed. For a personal account, if convenience is tops on your want list, then TD is a good choice.

I have two banks PNC and Tri Co...
I like both of the banks alot and have had no problems with them. I like PNC because they reimburse all ATM fees, and work with you with the over draft fees.
Tri Co is a members only bank, and they get to know people by name.

independencelady
Jul '12

Hudson and Fulton work for me.
Hudson is great because if you make some 'technical' error they will refund you the fee charged if you ask . At least they did for me. I'm a long-standing customer & that is one of the reasons why.

happy girl
Jul '12

PNC is the bank I like. Very easy to work with and very accomodating. Only been with them a bit over a year, but they have been wonderful and supportive.

They even copied a set of documents for us that we needed to send out once we had the notary completed. Now that is service.

Coralie Coralie
Jul '12

Fulton Bank......convenience....staff remembers me......clean....very professional....they have great Halloween costumes.....free checking for business and personal

Only negative thing is I DO NOT LIKE those uniform shirts they have to wear! Oxford Blue mens shirts?

Christine Christine
Jul '12

sealy Bank

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Jul '12

Peapack-Gladstone. I have to go through Long Valley on my way to work anyway and they are there. All around great bank. Free checking, no funky fees, great online account management, friendly people who know you after a while. Plus they reimburse any ATM fees you may incur. Also got our mortgage through them.

eperot eperot
Jul '12

I love my mattress

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Jul '12

Hudson City Savings bank is wonderful. Great people and customer service.

Conrad's Mom Conrad's Mom
Jul '12

Had First Hope for years and got out. Most workers are nice, but there are a few that are not. Also dont like the way they do things. PNC is great.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Jul '12

I use TD Bank. No problems. My husband banks at Tri-Co Credit Union and is happy with them.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '12

First Hope Kasasa saves/makes you more money if you can use it. Need 10 debits, paperless statements, and one direct bill/deposit per month to apply. I use credit card for kickbacks so don't want to use debit card. But pays 3% interest and free $25 of ATM usage so ATMs really, really everywhere -- anyone's anytime.

PNC and Hudson are good too but Hudson is very old-school. You have to bring your passbook on many accounts. What's a passbook? Hudson has pretty competitive CD/IRA CD rates and penalties too.

PNC has the better website.

BOAmerican has great website, but is nutty in the branch, IMHO. They have made many technical mistakes on my account, I left.

King of all banks is Ally Bank. No brick n mortar buildings but for on-line they can't be beat. Best CD rates and lowest penalties. So low that I sign up for five years figuring I can take the 60-day interest penalty for a new CD if rates even ever go up.

Why so many banks? I move CDs a lot to chase rates. And had a good amount in sheltered kid's CDs before college. All gone now, but supposedly smarter kids :>).

Also used Kasasa at Hope for kids checking while at school. Hooked their account (one way) to mine so I could transfer/extract cash according to needs letting me help them learn to budget better but still have some control and be able to transfer cash in a flash. Plus since they were very mobile, let them use any ATM, a good thing during those college days. Didn't hurt to be able to sneak a peek too but ssssssh, don't tell them that.....

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Jul '12

PNC - we redid our mortgage through them as well. Love their online system... very easy to use and also like the number of branches making it easy to find one where I happen to be.

we also had wells fargo (started off as a first union customer, back in the day). when wells fargo took over we had nothing but problems. we switched over to pnc and LOVE it! we use the one on the mountain in LV and the people there are so friendly and nice. they know your name from the first time you walk in and are nothing but helpful.

lovinlv lovinlv
Jul '12

Affinity Federal Credit Union.

darlughh darlughh
Jul '12

Was with first hope for years,then they changed.They would not let me cash a certified check from a family member,even know my wife and I had direct deposit unless I covered it with my savings.It was a in state check(they paid to get a certified check)the funds were available before the check was printed.They told me it could be counterfit,I told them to pick up the phone and do something.How do I know the cash they give me is real?closed all accounts the next day.PNC has been great.

Taken away
Jul '12

I think I'm one of the few who likes BofA. ATM's everywhere (even out of state) and the online is very good. Checking is free but we have a decent chunk of change in our accounts. I have been with them since they were NatWest, when I was in college.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jul '12

gardens - You can use the coin machine at TD if you don't have an account, but then you have to pay a fee. Best bet if you want to use their coin machine for free is to open a Holiday club savings - you could just put $1 in there for the year - no minimum requirement and if you don't need it, close it.

mefoley4literacy mefoley4literacy
Jul '12

Darlughh,

I have an Affinity account too but dont use it. Their nearest location is in Denville/Dover as far as I can tell. Where do you use them?

TM

Troublemaker Troublemaker
Jul '12

On the Money - as far as I know, all banks use the bill pay float by using your money while the payment is being cashed. Thats how they give away this service for free. Dont know if switching from Wells Fargo because of better customer service will change this fundamental fact.

Danny Danny
Jul '12

TD charges you $5 to cash one of their checks(from the same address)if you dont have a account.It is from that bank!

Taken away
Jul '12

Stay as far away form First Hope bank as you can.They have a habit of changing things mid-stream,alot of shady fees.They will nickel and dime you to death.(business accounts horrible)

Taken away
Jul '12

Never have had an issue with Hope they didn't solve quickly and friendly.

BOA seemed OK but they pre-dated a Saturday CD redemption because their computer didn't recognize the weekend. I was doing 80-hour weeks so didn't really notice until tax time when I saw it hit me with a penalty for early withdrawal which screwed up my taxes etc. etc. etc. They made good, but what a mess. Another time went I went to rollover a college CD to another bank, instead they cashed it which started the Uncle Sam clock for taxes since no college, no rollover. Ultimately the fixed it, but it took 10-days and, of course, at no penalty to BOA for the lost interest. I got about six of these stories until I finally got all the college accounts out of there. Did like the web site and all the locations but the staff at the west Htown branch did not seem competent and had a 'tude about it as well. Well, I just remember my prime two banking rules.

The first rule of banking is: there are no rules. Any charge, penalty, etc. they can usually wave, if they want to.

The second rule of banking is: it's a commodity, like soap. Don't like it, move to the next brand of soap. The only risk you have is your checks so go basic and don't pay for them either and then you have no real risk to change at any time.

When I took 80% of my stuff out of one bank one time, they got so nice, I put some back.. Seemed like everyone was smiling and saying "have a nice day mistergoogle." all the time..... Very soapy for sure, but I liked it.

Jul '12

My DH and I are also Wells Fargo customers (and have also been there since it was First Union) and HATE it now!!! We just opened up an account at Peapack Gladstone this week and also plan on opening one at PNC. We will then be closing all of our accounts at WF...between our 4 accounts they were hitting us for over $30/month with their new fees. If you wanted to avoid fees you have to link a seperate way to save account to each of those accounts and use the debit card to each account at least 10 times a month. What a head ache! Judging on what I've seen and heard, I think WF is going to be losing a lot of customers. Good luck!

EG1982 EG1982
Jul '12

I've had First Hope Bank for about 30 years. The only real problem that I've had is the online banking doesn't always work. The Hudson City Bank has always had the best CD rates in town though, so I've used them for the CD's. I've used Valley National for Christmas Clubs, as they offer the best gifts for signing up with them.

Magpie Magpie
Jul '12

I used to work for Wachovia then Wells Fargo when it changed hangs, but still kept my accounts at BOA due till several issues. Never had a problem with BOA like many (so far). I really like that there are so many BOA locations around. My bf has TD and swears by that place.

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Jul '12

Hudson Bank is good, friendly service especially at the Mansfield branch, pays the highest interest rates on savings even though they are low.

easy going guy
Jul '12

@takenaway, I closed my First Hope account for similar reasons. I went to deposit a $8.00 check signed by my father and they refused to deposit it unless I had my father in the bank verifying it was signature - WTF. After arguing about the policy, I went into the Bank and closed both of my accounts without looking back. Talk about stupid policies and poor service.

Closed our First Hope accts about 3 years back and went to PNC. Best thing we ever did. First Hope has a 'small town' business mentality but that doesn't carry over to their customer service. They need to get with the times and appreciate the people who walk through their doors. PNC customer service is fantastic and as Stan said - they are everywhere.

Don't want to keep supporting them, but never have had these problems with Hope over two decades. The only reason I moved CD stuff out was interest rates, they wanted the profit more than they wanted me. Hudson, on the other hand, while the most competitive in town for CD rates (still not as good as Ally but close), has this no-passbook-no-action policy that only the manager can override. I just don't understand. To me, Hudson, Hope, PNC --- all good banks. PNC rates stink though. Ally for on-line is the best of breed though. 7x24 human service, always helpful, and best rates and lowest fees around. They even spiff you .25% for renewing a CD. Sounds like chump change but is a 2% world that's a 12% uplift.

Jul '12

Fulton Bank screwed up my son's account for the second time within a year. The first time, they credited over $1200 to his account and, being a young kid who didn't keep track of bank balances, he withdrew a bit more than he had in his account (not realizing the error and shortly before they realized their mistake) and let things go until he got his next bank statement. The result was over $200 in fees.

He hasn't touched that account in months, and left only $10 in it. This statement finds him $73+ richer until he can call the bank tomorrow , tell them they screwed-up again, and then go down and close his account.

Skylands was good, these idiots are not.

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Jul '12

I just tried to start a new thread about changing banks and the moderator told me there was too similar of a thread out there, but this one is over a year old... any up to date info??

e money
Aug '13

None of the local banks have closed, and no new ones opened up that I know of. Based on the other thread, BOA has some very unhappy folks to it.

Nothing's really changed in my experience - still like Fulton. Hope is good, and TD has advantages if you need to go in person at odd hours.

Hudson City. I've been with them for years. I originally had them when I lived in Bergen County and was very happy to find that they had a branch here. They have been pretty good to me as a customer compared with some other banks that I did have at the same time as Hudson.

jerseygirl1111 jerseygirl1111
Aug '13

I guess we don't do a lot of banking because I don't feel like we need or use any special services. We don't pay fees, we don't even use tellers. My husband gets paid by direct deposit. We have a no fee Chase checking account and we make any additional deposits through the ATM. I have a no fee BOA account that is used to pay my student loans. I deposit money into that account every month or so to cover that. I previously had a high balance account with BOA that was free unless the balance dropped below $750. That wasn't feasible for us anymore, so I now have a "no teller" account. I don't pay any fees but I can only use the ATM for transactions, which isn't a problem for us. In either case, there are so many Chase and BOA locations, so that convenience is nice.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '13

I love First Hope. Do their Kasasa cash and you earn outrageous interest rates that you can't even get from online banks like ING. And there's no minimum balance or fees - and they refund ATM fees at other locations. Amazing bank!

Challah Challah
Aug '13

I can agree first hope is a very good bank. They give you 3% interest in your checking account,up to 10grand. That's 360$ a year free money, if you keep 10k in there haha. And the will give 1.3% on savings account.

cardude cardude
Aug '13

I have had an account with First Hope for 15 years and they are very personable. They are not about big business corporate accounts like many other banks.

They actually called me on several occasions to let me know my account was low on funds as a courtesy. I don't know what other bank does that.

The only negative is that they do not have many branches but because of their excellent service I'm willing to deal with it.

positive positive
Aug '13

Hudson City Saving Bank is changing to M&T bank over the weekend.
After googling the bank, I am reading very bad reviews of M&T bank.
Who else who uses Hudson is concerned about this change?
I am thinking of pulling my money out.

happiest girl
Feb '16

when my old credit union sold out to Visions - I gave it a try - absolutely hated their online banking - so changed to PNC (I had handled my mom's banking on PNC online for several years) which was very user friendly. I have never paid fees...........I haven't found any problems - and 95% of my banking/check writing is on their website.

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '16

M&T has the naming rights to the Baltimore Ravens stadium. Obviously, they shouldn't be trusted with your $. Switch to PNC (Pittsburgh National Corporation) instead (-;

ianimal ianimal
Feb '16

I've used both PNC and M&T. The later used to be Marine Midland Bank. Have owned stock in both; made more with M&T, glad my remaining Hudson rolled over. Warren Buffet invests in M&T

Good regional bank. Handled recession well. Hudson did too. It was post recession that got em and that led to the merger. Pnc is bigger but ok too. I would let service and fees be ur guide.

Hudson was very competitive on cd rates. I am hoping that expertise morphs to m&t. Otherwise i'm gone.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Feb '16

I am in the process of moving to PNC. Available up and down the eastern part of the nation and get good reviews. Decent interest rates on savings accounts (compared to whats around) as well so long as you deposit substantial money a month.

I kicked first hope to the curb. Website is horrid, years ago when I tried to get a home loan with near perfect credit they made me jump through more hoops than anyone to the point where I just stopped giving what they asked for and shredded the application, hours are short, website is always down for maintenance, and staffing is interesting............. They are a small bank that is behind the times that is trying to portray that hometown feel. Lastly, they don't do a decent job protecting accounts. I travel and everytime one of my other cards is used states away I get a call from the company confirming its me. Except first hope. There was one week where I was in NJ, Canada, then Florida in the span of 6 days and never got a phone call. I was with them for 15+ years.

younggen younggen
Feb '16

I've had Hudson City for most of my life really and I'm sorry to see it go. I'm going to give the "new" bank a try and see how it goes. Let's hope nothing but the name changes.

Lady
Feb '16

Peapack-Gladstone. Very convenient and have balance minimums that ensure no riff raff, low trash is using the bank. I don't like being in a bank with lower class depositors (same reason I shop at Wegmans in Nazareth and not Hackettstown Shop Rite) and PG does a real good job keeping them away.

jimmysmommie247 jimmysmommie247
Feb '16

jimmysmommie - Are you serious? What a snob! Maybe you should move to Short Hills.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '16

Agree Calico, maybe move to Peapack-Gladstone as there is probably to much riff-raff and low trash in the Hackettstown area to be living amongst.

kb2755 kb2755
Feb '16

Lol I was thinking the same thing Calico! Can't stand when people consider themselves better then others.

That's the first time I've ever seen someone praise a bank's *bad* policies.

All of the banks are slightly different, so I think the decision needs to be based on what banking services you need and will plan to use. Some offer special benefits for using your debit card to make purchases (but that's something you should really never do, anyway!). Some have lower fees (or no fees) for checking accounts. Some have more convenient online banking services. Some are open late and/or on Saturday, while others are not. Some have more convenient ATMs and/or lower fees for using non-bank ATMs.

Decide what services you are likely to want and use, and THEN shop around for a bank that will work best, for you. (Or, perhaps, shop for a "Riff-Raff Free" bank.)

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Feb '16

Hey "jimmysmommie247"- I bet most of the "riff-raff" you mention are hard working people that most likely have a higher account balance and compassion quotient than you!

Thankfully, I will never run into you at your "upscale" haha, bank! I grow my money at a "common people" bank that doesn't cater to people like you!

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Feb '16

I agree with Lady....I worked at Hudson Savings many years ago when it was Orange Savings Bank. That was a long time ago and it has changed names now but I still like this bank and plan to continue to do my banking there as long as the policies remain the same and it fits my banking needs.

joyful joyful
Feb '16

I agree also, joyful. We started our local banking with the Orange and was pleased with Hudson City. It met all of our banking needs plus pleasant and helpful staff. Hoping M&K will be the same. My husband still has the little plastic orange bank that was given out at the grand opening in Mansfield. I remember years ago when banks would give "gifts" to open accounts at their bank. Toasters, blankets etc. Gifts for Christmas club openings. Another memory.

justwondering justwondering
Feb '16

Heck if it's money growth you are looking for, skip the brick and mortar and go virtual with Ally Bank. Always the best rates. Friendly too. Just can't see them.....

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Feb '16

jimmysmommie247 -
I happen to already have an account at Peapack. It only needs $5000 minimum to ensure no fees. So -- I guess you think having $5000 makes you rich and is the *defining line* between *YOU* and "riff raff , low trash" (to use your words) ????
That's pretty funny ...... no, actually stupid.

You want to know what else is stupid? Wasting money on over-priced food for your family. If you had any brains you would be saving it for your little Jimmy.

happiest girl
Feb '16

I hope jimmy doesn't grow up to be as big a bigot as mommie is...

JerryG JerryG
Feb '16

is there really a jimmysmommie247?? I hope that's just some bozo trying to rock the boat....

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '16

4catmom --
Yes there is a jimmysmommie247.
She's a new poster who has written on 4 different threads so far.
What a loser.

By the way, I see you went from 5catmom to 4catmom.
Sorry for your loss. I know how hard that is.

happiest girl
Feb '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.