Copper Gutters

My house was built in 1950 and it has beautiful old copper gutters. Only problem is they are very narrow and I have a water issue in my basement. So I want to get new wider gutters.

Anyone ever sell their copper gutters? Any idea how much they are worth or what place would want to buy them?

Thanks!

IheartDr.M IheartDr.M
Jul '12

Are you sure the gutters are the problem? Make certain the downspouts are clear and that they dispense the water at least 6 feet from your basement walls. Make sure too that you have positive slope away from your basement so water drains away. After you've made sure that isn't the problem, only then consider parting with them.

I'm guesing they are half round gutters, and not the modern K-type?

I would actually like to see what you have there as I am looking to put copper half round gutters on my house for better historic authenticity. I'm guessing at this point they are really only worth scrap price, but copper isn't cheap. If you aren't able to sell them, I'm sure someone who deals in scrap metals would pay you something.

eperot eperot
Jul '12

This is the price I found for scrap copper at Rockaway recycling. If these are original gutters from the 50's they probably have much more value then scrap price due to people wanting to use them in restorations of homes. I would definitely check the suggestions above my guess is your downspouts are not clear or the gutters are draining to close to your house.

#1 Bare Bright Wire $3.10 /lb.
#1 Copper Tubing/Flashing $2.82 /lb.
#2 Copper Tubing/ Bus Bar $2.62 /lb.
#3 Roofing Copper $2.45 /lb.

Salvage out on Rt 519 just below the 46 intersection by Belevidere and just passed the train overpass on the right. Drive-in, they even unload. Call for instructions, you kind of have to snake around to the right of the tractor store.

Earlier this year, we raised the foundation soil and slopped it better around a friend's house and so far cured 95% of the water problems. Could not even tell that it was sloping toward the house due to 20 years of settling.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Jul '12

Re: Copper Gutters

Thanks for the suggestions. And yes, we certainly have a sloping issue that we are working on. I've attached a picture of them for you to see. They are rounded but I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for. They are beautiful I just don't have the time or money it would take to make them useful in the way that I need for my water issues.

I did try contacting a few reclaiming businesses but no one was interested in them. I did read you can get more money that way than selling them for scrap. Eperot if you're interested let me know!

Otherwise thank you Mark for that website it's awesome! I'll reach out to them.

IheartDr.M IheartDr.M
Jul '12

Mr. G - Is talking about S&L in White Twp. My husband takes all his scrap there.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '12

I have used Rockaway as well; they are very nice but S&L is closer. You may want to check prices to see what kind of volatility you have; sometimes it's good to hit on a high day if you can afford to time it and the market for that commodity is volatile.

I got $100 each for my old solar panels and they took em apart which they factored into my pay out.

Jul '12

IheartDr.M, those look like rectangular downspouts to me which are usually attached to K type gutters, not half rounds. I am surprised people don't want them for scrap; if we were in an unsavory part of the state those would have been gone a long time ago by vandals looking to score copper.

This is what I am talking about and looking for:

eperot eperot
Jul '12

previous thread.

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/258575

sack
Jul '12

Call George's Salvage in Newton, 973.383.4471.

townie70 townie70
Jul '12

Rockaway Recycling got back to me and said for every 1 foot of gutter is approx 2 pounds and right now we'd get $2.45 per pound.

Eperot here is another image of the "rounded" part. I don't even know what to call this shape!

IheartDr.M IheartDr.M
Jul '12

Iheart...Those are K-type gutters, the modern style. In all honesty, I cannot see any reason to get rid of those gutters, as replacements will be basically the exact same. I wouldn't be at all surprised if your wet basement issues are because of a drainage issue around your basement. I am not trying to discourage you...just trying to save you money. I know quite a bit about houses and can tell you I bet it is something else. Try waiting until a good hard rainstorm and go outside to inspect. If you see water spilling over the tops of the gutters, I'd say there is a very good chance you have partially blocked downspouts, or the water just exits the system too close to the basement wall. We had two wet spots in our basement, and getting the pipes to discharge about 6 feet from the house and filling some low lying ground where water would pool next to the basement solved it.

eperot eperot
Jul '12

What is the width? I'm looking for a length of copper gutter , seasoned, about 16 feet long by 6 inch

Rob tuckerton nj Rob tuckerton nj
Nov '14

Do you think that this guy still has the gutters from 2 + years ago?

sack
Nov '14

Well he's got the copper, either on the house or in his pocket :>)

Nov '14

Where do the drains go? Had problem at my parents' house a few years ago and I just ran flex duct 8-30 feet from the home (depending on ground cover) and it solved the problem. New gutters and drains 3 feet or less from the foundation will not change anything. Also, make sure they are not clogged with leaves, etc.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.