Nearby Pawn Shops

Hi, does anyone know if there are any nearby pawn shops? I'm looking for a place where I can pawn my guitar. Thank

lola9
May '12

I know that Dave Phillips Music and Sound takes them in on consignment. What do you have and how much do you want?

redneck redneck
May '12

only one i know of is in marshalls creek, pa right after the old flea market lot on 209

agf25 agf25
May '12

If you want to pawn it, you want it back. That's a lot different than selling it which there are a lot better places, ways to do it.

There really aren't many around, but I do know there's one in North Plainfield that I drive by.

There is one in Easton, right by the Crayola Factory.

bemo12
May '12

Take it up to Robbie's on 46. Worst case scenario: He tells you what it's worth.

Mr me Mr me
May '12

You'd prob get better money for it on craigslist than at a pawnshop... cutout the middle man

yeahumirin yeahumirin
May '12

there is one in somervlle, they almost always have a couple gutars hanging in their window, but i haven;t past there in many years, so call ahead.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
May '12

I noticed last night Hackettstown is home to a brand new pawn shop...next to Hackettstown Pet Supplies. Just what this quaint little town needs. Hackettstown's got it all now...slums, cash for gold, Western Union, and now a pawn shop.

honey badger honey badger
Jan '13

I thought the town had passed an ordinanuce prohibiting these types.of buisnesses

Screech Screech
Jan '13

saw that sign the other day in the window- english and spanish. looks bad. what a dump .

a good day
Jan '13

Better to question why there is a *need* for a pawn shop. Usually they are an indication of something else gone awry.

justintime justintime
Jan '13

Lock your windows and doors!

Screech Screech
Jan '13

yep. my thoughts same as screech.

a good day
Jan '13

Justintime&screechurabsolutlyright,Y

fitter
Jan '13

lol Screech, that's not what I meant.

I simply meant to say that a business without a client base will not last too long. If there is demand in the area for a pawn shop then that's why it's here. My guess is that there is still a good amount of folks negatively affected by the economy.

No need to lock your doors! On the contrary, it's probably time to open them up and help out our neighbors who might still be in trouble.

justintime justintime
Jan '13

Maybe not what you meant but that's what I'm talking about.

Screech Screech
Jan '13

FYI, it is not registered as a Pawn Shop, which are not allowed in Hackettstown. He does most of his sales on-line (ebay, etc.). He wanted a storefront so that local buyers could come in and look at his inventory. If anyone experiences otherwise, please let the town know!

trekster3 trekster3
Jan '13

Thanks, trekster3. That is an important distinction.

Went by this morning and the sign is not in the window but over top the door way. Absolutely nothing about a pawn shop. Nothing but the exact same thing as the used tool guy over in Washington, Plates Jewelers, and the collectible shop further down Main Street.

Does this mean I don't have to lock my doors and windows? I mean, we have so many shady restaurants, consignment shops, tattoo parlors, chain stores, oh my! With all of these empty stores being rented by new businesses trying to make an honest living, the drug addicts will have nowhere to go but into our residential neighborhoods.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '13

it looks like a dump. say what you will. a dump.

a good day
Jan '13

Not sure on the specifics, but I know pawn shops are required by law to hold on to merchandise for so many days before they can do anything with it, this is a tool to help law enforcement recover stolen goods and make cases. I guess this store skirts that law too because it is not a "pawn shop".

Screech Screech
Jan '13

It's not a "pawn shop" because you can't PAWN anything there. The guy is not giving out loans.

darwin darwin
Jan '13

Wow, sounds like you people are a bunch of high and mighty snobs. Get over yourselves!

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Jan '13

I am not liking what hackettstown has become....main st. is not looking like a quaint chesterlike town anymore...it's so sad...

ILuvsnow
Jan '13

a dump. I am not a snob. not all of it is a mess but looking bad in some parts of town.

a good day
Jan '13

The only law on the books in NJ is that pawn shops need to wait x amount of days after a LOAN expires before they can sell the item. If the buy the item and don't pawn it, they call reslae the item with now waiting period. Since once again this store is not PAWNING anything, that law does not apply to him. If he buys an item he can turn around and sell it. Just like the cash for gold stores, just like the consignment stores, just like the antique stores. So you sound ignorant when you say this guy is trying to skirt a law.

Funny there was an EBay store in town a few years back; I don't remember anyone calling it a pawn shop. Then again that store didn't have a Spanish speaking sign in the window,

darwin darwin
Jan '13

Oh and for every store we don't support like 'What in the World', we'll get a replacement - take the time to shop local to keep the stores you like!

trekster3 trekster3
Jan '13

I think the point that Screech is making is that if someone were to sell something that had been stolen to the owner of this store and they turned around and sold it they would be breaking the law...several of them. Whereas if they were operating as a pawn shop they would be required to wait a specified amount of time before reselling. darwin - you are absolutely right..no one has complained about the other re-sale stores because (for the most part, see note below) they make their buisiness look like a permanent business with real signs - and window displays that make Main St a pleasant place to shop.

Why does the Spanish card need to be played over and over again. There is a shop with a crappy looking sign that says THRIFT shop on it and the windows are overflowing with unorganized junk and they are not Spanish so enough already. White, Brown, Black if it looks like crap it is crap and does not belong on the Main St of a quaint little town.

Firefly Firefly
Jan '13

Sorry for sounding ignorant, but I was just going by what a police officer told my co worker when his stolen stuff was recovered from a pawn shp, I just assumed it would have been sold not pawned.

Screech Screech
Jan '13

"I think the point that Screech is making is that if someone were to sell something that had been stolen to the owner of this store and they turned around and sold it they would be breaking the law..."

Not true. The owner would have had to know the item was stolen or believed the item was stolen and still sold it.

2C:20-7. Receiving Stolen Property. a. Receiving. A person is guilty of theft if he knowingly receives or brings into this State movable property of another knowing that it has been stolen, or believing that it is probably stolen. It is an affirmative defense that the property was received with purpose to restore it to the owner. Receiving means acquiring possession, control or title, or lending on the security of the property.

b. Presumption of knowledge. The requisite knowledge or belief is presumed in the case of a person who:

(1) Is found in possession or control of two or more items of property stolen on two or more separate occasions; or
(2) Has received stolen property in another transaction within the year preceding the transaction charged; or
(3) Being a person in the business of buying or selling property of the sort received, acquires the property without having ascertained by reasonable inquiry that the person from whom he obtained it had a legal right to possess and dispose of it ;or
(4) Is found in possession of two or more defaced access devices.

If a Pawn Shop or any other re-sales tore unknowingly buys stolen items and then resales them, it's up to the state to prove they knew or should have know the items were stolen. Most time the store must simply surrender the item and are out of the $ they spent to buy it unless they are able to go after the person who sold them the stolen goods. It's very hard to prove a shop bought the item knowing it was stolen.

And i'm not the one who played the Spanish card. "A good Day" mentioned it while calling the place a dump.

darwin darwin
Jan '13

I dealt with the owner, Ed of the new shop and he was great! Very honest and is trying to get his store set up for walk through people as well as an Ebay store. Give it a chance.

somebody somebody
Jan '13

hi friendly people. seems like you are taking my comment and implying something more. fact- the sign is indeed bilingual. that is all. could be english And German . irrelevant . my opinion - a dump.

a good day
Jan '13

Well thank you all for clearing that up.

Jan '13

Pawn shops are a great plac to shop all ways can find neat stuff , the tv shows that have sprung up aabout pawning are funny notice they very hard ly sell any thing must have a big wear house lol

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Jan '13

lola9, what are the details on the guitar? Are you selling it, or do you just want to use it as collateral to borrow some money? If you are selling it, I might be interested depending on what it is. Did you already try posting it on the classifieds here? Did you check ebay to see what it's worth?

high and mighty snobs on HackettstownLife.com?

I can't imagine such a thing.

botheredbyu must be mentally ill

;-)

Erik B. Anderson Erik B. Anderson
Feb '13

I was at a town council meeting where their was an ordinance stating no NO more cash for gold stores or pawns shops in town. We have another one...Good God! They say one thing and do another, seems to be their "MO"...just sayin....

pampur pampur
Feb '13

That is not correct, pampur. I was there at the same meeting however the mayor suggested having the ordinance committee draft a possible new ordinance. The existing one for pawn shops has been on the book for some time. The new ordinance would only add the same restrictions on gold shops. At later meetings you were not at they discussed the difficulty in not hurting jewelers or antique shops that also do it. So there is no such thing.

The business under discussion is not a pawn shop so that does not apply anyway.

I was at the store tonight.. your right not a pawn shop. .However, we had a store very similar to this type a few years back. They use to buy and sell on e-bay.

pampur pampur
Feb '13

Halo....this is the subject matter you were wondering about.

Firefly Firefly
Feb '13

The last thing this town needs is another cash for gold store. They are haven for thieves selling stolen jewelry, and having it melted down or shipped out of state. I am not saying this store does that, It just delusional to think that all these gold stores in town are being supported by local people selling their own jewelry. I'd rather see a vacant store front than another cash for gold store.store.

Denis Denis
Feb '13

Don't worry. Doesn't happen here. No pawn shops in Hackettstown.

http://hackettstown.patch.com/articles/duo-stole-then-pawned-music-equipment-cops-say?ncid=newsltuspatc00000001

Mar '13

That story is priceless! What the hell is with that address 100 Main St. Is it an apartment building?

Firefly Firefly
Mar '13

Whats wrong with you people? Cash for Gold, Pawn shops, they are all over the place and do you see them doing any harm to anyone?? NO! Nothing wrong with them in H'town or anywhere else. You should be more concerned about the ILLEGAL taxi services in the area.

@E. Anderson - you are right, I should have known better. What was I thinking? ;)

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Mar '13

Honey Badger - The only evidence there is a pawn shop is one word at the top of a blogger's article. The whole thing is a paraphrasing of the official police press release available on their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/hackettstownpd

It says "he sold the items" and has no mention or implication at all about pawning. That would not only be against the town code, but would be unlicensed and I'm sure the police would have made a third arrest if that were the case.

Firefly - It says "the 100 block of Main Street". Press Releases often don't want to say the exact address for privacy reasons. So they say it's a "block". That could mean anywhere from the train tracks up to the healthfood store.

The common thread on all the police reports would seem to be the drugs, not the stores.

all I'm saying are these places make it real easy to get rid of stolen goods. And they tend to pop up in towns that are...well fill in the blank.

Mar '13

botheredbyu I can't believe you or anyone else actually believes that all these pawn shop can be supported by local people selling their own property year after year. My family has had personal experience with the way they work. My Aunt went on a trip to Europe, her apartment was broken into. All her jewelry and silverware was stolen, and sold to a pawn shop. The police eventually found out who did it. It was neighbors daughter who was a drug addict, and been arrested countless times. She told police where she sold the items.
Anyone who saw this girl would find it almost impossible to believe this was her property. By the time the police went to the pawn shop the holding period was over, all her silverware and jewelry had been melted down the day the holding period expired, including her engagement ring from her late husband. She was told by the cops that this is a common occurrence, and why gold and silver jewelry is number one on the most wanted list for thieves. The thief was sentenced to 4 years in jail, my Aunt will never recover her possessions, and the Pawn Shop made a nice profit on everyone misery. Having a cash for gold store/ pawn shop on every block is never a good sign for a town.

Denis Denis
Mar '13

GC- you mentioned up a few posts about a used tool guy in Washington. Does he buy them if people or just sell them do you know? And where are they located?
Thanks!

Usednabused
Mar '13

Buying a product from the public is basically a Pawn Shop IMO. Buying gold and silver has been going on forever. More so now since the price is so high. I am not sure if Hackettstown has any rules in these delicate issues. It seems an ordinance should be written. I personally do NOT buy any items outright. I consign them for them. Most of the time they will say ok BUT the young kids that come in with 4 watches and a GPS system SORRY, I tell them the economy is not good sp they move on quicklyu.

Christine Christine
Mar '13

Denis - how the heck is that the Pawn shops fault? Really! If there wasnt a Pawn shop around, the neighbor would have sold them to someone else, somewhere else, to make her drug money. Cant blame the Pawn shops for what stupid people do. SMH!

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Mar '13

Christine - couldn't you delay those kids a few minutes while the police show up and look into 4 watches and a GPS. At least some people may get their things back and it would discourage them and their friends from coming back.

Firefly Firefly
Mar '13

FF I was using a hypethothetical situation. My point is I do not buy anything ouright for the fear of theft. I will consign them and when I do I get an address. name and phone number.
I already have had a visit from the police on some stolen pieces. I had a list what was sold and the persons ID. It was all costume jewelry because she sold all the gold and silver to a jewelry store. So I was not help liable at all I actualyl helped the detective with a full name and address.

If I called the police everytime someone came in to sell something The police would be there most of the day.

Christine Christine
Mar '13

Really botheredbyu, pawn shop takes in goods which clearly don't belong to the person bringing them in, promptly melts everything down the first day they can, making them less valuable but untraceable to the police and you don't see anything wrong with that? My Aunt is heartbroken losing the engagement ring from her late husband, and the Pawn shop was only to happy to take advantage of the situation because they could make a profit, and you don't see anything wrong with that. Maybe if it happened to you, you would get it. Thieves steal things because there are people willing to buy and sell stolen property. Anyone who knowingly buys or sells stolen property is an accomplice, no better that thief in my mind. It's pretty sad If you think that's acceptable. SMH

Denis Denis
Mar '13

Christine - you had me fooled. It certainly sounded like a real situation to me.

Firefly Firefly
Mar '13

Denis - I NEVER said it was acceptable for people to steal from others. What I DID say was you cant blame the Pawn Shop on what some druggie did to your aunt. The Pawn Shop has NO idea whether items are stolen or not. Remember the saying "You cant judge a book by its cover". I know people who are on drugs, yet you would never know by looking at them, so if they brought rings to a shop, who would know they were stolen?
I'm sorry for your aunts lose, but its NOT the Pawn Shop or Cash for Gold stores fault.
Like I said in the previous post, the druggie would have sold it to someone else, if those shops werent around, so either way the stuff would be gone. The thieves stole from your aunt, not these shops.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Mar '13

It amazes me how many of you don't understand the basic definition of a Pawn Shop. To be a Pawn shop you have to give out LOANS. So someone comes in to pawn something gives all their info and gets a loan. They have a certain # of days to repay the loan + interest and the get their stuff back. If they don't pay back the loan in time the store can sell their item.

So most theives are not going to PAWN their stolen items, they are going to sell them to stores like a pawn shop, cash for gold, heck even our town jewerly store will buy gold items and melt them down. I went to the jewery store in town with some old gold pieces and got cash right on the spot. He never asked me where i got them or tried to verified they weren't stolen.

darwin darwin
Mar '13

Darwin Did the the local jewelry store record your identification and or take a photo of the items? Just curious..

it was a few yrs ago so i'm not 100% sure what info he took down. I know like the cash for gold places they have to record some info for tax purposes and give you a receipt

darwin darwin
Mar '13

Greg - when I took gold to the Gold Mine on Main St. they took a photo of my ID and the stuff I was selling.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Mar '13

botheredbyu, I don't get the logic behind someone else would have bought them, so that gets them off the hook? If you do something wrong or immoral it's OK as long as someone else might do the same thing? I get it that the thief was the one who stole the items. The shop was only to happy to buy everything for a fraction of it's value. Any reasonable person who saw this woman would have been highly suspicious. They melted everything the first day they could legally do it so nothing could be identified. There is no doubt in my mind the shop knew they were stolen. They didn't do anything illegal, but they were the only ones who ended up befitting from the robbery in the end. Not an OK way to make a living in my book.

Denis Denis
Mar '13

Denis -The logic is she would have sold them to someone else if the shop wasnt around, so either way the stuff would have been sold. Not the Pawn Shops fault. Dont understand why you dont get it. SMH!

Lets just agree to disagree.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Mar '13

I understand that someone else would have bought them, I don't understand how that logic makes it alright??? If someone does something wrong or unethical, the fact that there are others willing do the same doesn't absolve them, and make them ethical. I don't understand why you don't get that. Since this is a sore subject I will go with your suggestion, and leave at that we just agree to disagree.

Denis Denis
Mar '13

bby, do you also think that drug dealers shouldn't be punished? After all, if they didn't sell them, someone else would, right?

ianimal ianimal
Mar '13

Denis had a bad experience with 1 specific pawn shop. No doubt that would bother us if it happen to one of our family memebers. The problem is when you make a broad statement about ALL pawn shops. You can generalize an entire industry because you had a bad experinece with 1 store.

Maybe this store didn't do the right thing and missed or ignored some red flags when this person brought in your family memeber items. But to say all Pawn shops have no problem buying stolen merchendise is wrong. In fact Pawn shops LOSE $ when they buy items that were stolen and then find out afterwards. If they buy something 1 week and next week the cops come in and tell them its stolen, the pawn shop has to turn over the item and is out the price they paid for it. So they are taking alot of risk buying items if they believe they might be stolen.

darwin darwin
Mar '13

No ianimal, its not the same. Drug dealers know what they are doing is wrong. The Pawn shop and Cash for Gold dont know if the stuff is stole or not. They shouldnt be run out of towns because a "few idiots" sell them stolen stuff. How would they know its stolen? They dont.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Mar '13

Darwin I didn't say all pawn shops / cash for gold stores had no problem buying and selling stolen items. I am sure there are a legitimate ones. I just don't believe for a second that all the cash for gold stores we now have in town can be supported by the local community selling there own possessions on a continuing basis. I also said when you see cash for gold stores popping up on every block, it's not a good sign for the town. Yes there is a risk for them buying stolen jewelry if the cops take it.
That risk is outweighed however by the fact that after a short holding period it can be melted down making it totally untraceable, and the huge profit they can make buying from a desperate person.

Denis Denis
Mar '13

Identification, pictures of the items and signatures on a contract was needed when I sold my gold for cash. Why can't this so called store to somehow protect himself. I personally think no one should be buying outright like he does. Your setting yourself up for a problem.

Christine Christine
Mar '13

When you sell gold you must provide ID.And besides, how are these places that buy and sell gold, exchange currency (well I guess you wouldn't see this in Hickettstown) any different from a bank?
If you want to keep it a "quaint" little town and SOLVENT then you're going to have to have stores that sell unique items which are likely higher priced(is there a market for this?)
The stores you get reflect the sort of people in an area.
You can't even find a nice cafe in this town that stays open at least until midnight (Greens closes at 6)

Elton Elton
Mar '13

On 4/21/13 at approx 2:15PM the Hackettstown Police responded to the Trinity United Methodist Church (213 Rt46) in reference to a Burglary/Theft. It was determined that 3 microphones, livewire direct box, switch pedal, guitar multi-pedal, four channel video mixer and a DVD recorder (total value of approx $597.00) were stolen from inside the church sanctuary sometime between 4/20/13 and 4/21/13. Through an investigation it was determined that 22yro Daniel Frederick of Lake Hopatcong, NJ sold the items that were reported stolen from the church to U CASH INN (139 Main St). There was then a warrant issued for Daniel Frederick. On 4/21/13 at approx 5:30PM a Hackettstown Police Officer located Daniel and he was then arrested. Daniel also had in his possession a hypodermic needle. Daniel was charged with receiving stolen property and possession of a hypodermic needle. Daniel was unable to post the $1,000.00 bail and was then lodged in the Warren County Correctional Facility.

Denis Denis
Apr '13

This guy is not taking down the proper information ,he just gives the cash, to the person Police need to get on him even though after the TUMC stolen items he is in the spot light but just yesterday gave money to someone I know with out any ID just a first name.

mom of two boys mom of two boys
Apr '13

It looks like the pawn shop next to the pet store on Main st has closed. Has it moved to another location?

A good day
Aug '13

again it was not a pawn shop.

Darwin Darwin
Aug '13

thank you for the clarification. Does anyone know if it has a new location locally?

a good day
Aug '13

Hi, I went to this place the other day and it doesnt even look open yet, I saw no signs that its going to be a pawn shop, So Is there a Pawn shop in Hackettstown or not.

I had something I wanted to sell and dont feel like driving an hour to sell, and I see nothing wrong with these places for honest people, some of us are out of work and forced to sell some collectables to survive

So is there one or not? cause I saw a closed store next to the pet supply shop

curious3 curious3
Aug '13

curious3 - There isn't now nor has there been a pawn shop in town. That used to be a second hand store that isn't there any more. Depending on what you have you might be better off selling on line anyway. Tried a classified here.

didnt think so gc, thanks for the heads up.

curious3 curious3
Aug '13

Why do people have such a hard time understanding what a pawn shop is?? A PAWN shop allows you to PAWN an item, i.e. gives you a loan and holds your item as collateral. If you don't repay the loan in “X” days the store keeps your item and sells it to recoup the loan.

NO STORE IN TOWN OFFERS THAT SERVICE!

Some stores, including pawn shops will buy your used items and then resell them, but that doesn't make them a pawn shop.

All Pawn shops are second hand stores, but not all second hand stores are pawn shops. Please stop saying we have a pawn shop in town

darwin darwin
Aug '13

Darwin, i dont understand your point, I asked if there was one, GC said there is not one, so who said that we had one? Not sure what you are addressing

curious3 curious3
Aug '13

curious3 - A half dozen people earlier in the thread all called multiple places pawn shops that are not. Those people know the difference but some have a separate agenda. That's what Darwin is addressing.

Got ya now, sorry about that. i see what your saying

curious3 curious3
Aug '13

I know this is an old thread but does anyone know if there's a place in Hackettstown that would take old jewelry, an old tv (still works just replaced), and other various items? Thanks :)

steph
Aug '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.