Could this house be haunted....?

My husband and I are looking into buying our first home. We have our hearts set on one in Great Meadows. It was built in 1810 - and being the superstitious person I am - I have a real fear that the house could be haunted.
If we bought the house, moved in and it turned out to be haunted...I wouldn't be able to be at peace in my own home.
How would someone find this out ahead of time? Or is this a gamble I have to take...
And also....has anyone else ever felt this way before buying a home? Or I am I completely insane for even thinking about this...?

Karen1986 Karen1986
Apr '12

Maybe your heart isnt quite set on this house.

Reality
Apr '12

Not completely insane, but I think you are overreacting. What is your husband's opinion.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '12

Karen you could hire someone to do a cleansing ritual/blessing in the house. Clear away any spirits and/or bad energies.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Apr '12

I'll bet you have a lot of cats. They will detect the ghosts.

Bruin Bruin
Apr '12

Re: Could this house be haunted....?

Bruin - Good idea. This might help --------------->

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '12

Always have heard about cat ladies. Why no dog ladies or cat man ?

Reality
Apr '12

Get John C on it! (he is on this forum)

darlughh darlughh
Apr '12

No such thing as a haunted house....just "haunted" people. Good luck

Haunted Houses and people actually seeing Ghosts ... perhaps we should stick to legal drugs people ....

wen sheldwiper
Apr '12

OMG Calico, that's hilarious!

Just because a house is old, doesn't make it haunted, and even if it is, not everything's like you see on tv...plenty of houses have spirits who couldn't care less about a home's inhabitants

JessM. JessM.
Apr '12

I personally would never buy an old house just for that reason. Old homes just spook me.

aaeadena aaeadena
Apr '12

In some states real estate laws deal with "haunted houses" - if the agent does not disclose paranormal activitiy it could void the contract. Not sure about NJ.

http://www.legalzoom.com/everyday-law/home-leisure/ghoul-disclosure-must-home-sellers

I am not a cat lady! I think I've just seen way too many paranormal shows in television so maybe I am over reacting. Thank you for the feed back.

Karen1986 Karen1986
Apr '12

lol Karen. Had me fooled. ;) The dead don't scare me. Only the living. Me4, can you imagine the multiple listings description: 5 bedroom, 2.5 baths, park-like property. 1-2 ghosts. Central Air. 2 -car garage.

Bruin Bruin
Apr '12

Are you serious? Don't buy the house. Go buy a new open floorplan Toll Bros. development house, because apparently "ghosts" never inhabit newer construction.
They must not like stainless steel appliances or granite countertops.

In all honesty, when people start talking about ghosts as a real potential issue I can no longer take the conversation seriously. There are no ghosts. Old houses are just old houses with creaks and noises. I live in one. I've lived in 3 places over the last decade, the newest was from 1891. Nothing there.

What I would like to know is what it is about people that they seem to need to believe in things that don't actually exist.

eperot eperot
Apr '12

In Ireland, it's considered "a plus" to be able to make the claim that the castle you are trying to sell is haunted.

See the ghost? Come on.......look real hard!

Give up?

John C John C
Apr '12

Okay, I know it's a tough one. GHI investigators almost missed this one too!

John C John C
May '12

Eperot, Believing in things that do not exist is fairly common. Many people refer to it as religion.

Guess i better keep this one anonymous....

eperot, How wondrous that you know what exists.......you "all-knowing' thing .......

What ever in existence gave you this gift?

happy girl
May '12

But sir, you must define "don't actually exist". The absence of the ability to see with one's own eyes, or touch with one's own hand does not negate existence. Certainly, before man developed the ability to view, measure, and quantify microscopic matter such as atoms or disease causing microbes, the notion would have been dismissed by many as non-existent....I do not believe in the existence of ghosts either, but there seems to be plenty of people who have experienced something supernatural.

Bruin Bruin
May '12

+1 for Anon.

Calico696 Calico696
May '12

Karen - if I can reassure you a bit: I live in a house built in the mid-1700's. No ghosts, and some of the most peaceful, pleasant energy here of any place I've lived.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '12

+2 Anon. I'm atheist, so I don't believe in an afterlife. I believe people see what they want to see, especially in times of great psychological stress like the death of a loved one. Understandable, and seems to mostly bring peace to those left behind.

I would love to know why everyone thinks all old houses are haunted, though. I go on photoshoots that often take me to abandoned houses, and I am often nervous but from fear the floor may give or that I'll encounter some animal I'd rather not run into. Paranormal activity, not so much.

eperot eperot
May '12

eperot - you photograph abandoned houses!? Cool!! You could do a very interesting book about that. I for one would buy it. I'm fascinated by abandoned buildings....

[End of hijack.]

Rebecka Rebecka
May '12

I'm atheist, so I don't believe in an afterlife. I believe people see what they want to see, especially in times of great psychological stress like the death of a loved one. Understandable, and seems to mostly bring peace to those left behind. - eperot

Couldn't agree with this more. People do see what they want to see. I don't think that people are making it up when they say they see these things. I think they actually believe that they have seen them. Scientifically, it's really not possible.

Calico696 Calico696
May '12

There's enough evidence to prove the existence of God. And if He exists, so do demons. People who see things usually have something in their house that attracts them.

Metsman Metsman
May '12

Metsman - I would be interested in seeing your proof. BTW, all of the places that I have lived must have been attractant free. :)

Calico696 Calico696
May '12

Because scientists have even stated that the chances of all the proper molecules and atoms to combine at the right proportions to create life, and intelligent beings for that matter, is impossible. If it were that easy, where are all the other worlds full of life? The way things are set up on earth seem to indicate a purpose.

Go get a bunch of black magic books and tarrot stuff. You'll probably start seeing stuff you can't explain.

Metsman Metsman
May '12

I'm an atheist too. But I do think there are mysteries that have not yet been solved - for example, I wonder what happens to our energy when we die. I wonder if strong emotions which carry energy can leave impressions in places. I wonder what the heck the 90% of our brains that we don't use is for. None of this means I believe in an afterlife or God or demons. I think there are things that science has not answered yet, but it will.

As I said on Stan's ghost thread, I have seen unexplained things myself. They weren't what I "wanted" to see, they just happened. I don't believe they were messages from the other side, or any proof of an afterlife in the religious sense. They are just phenomenon that haven't yet been explained. One day science will catch up.

Aquarius Aquarius
May '12

Or the fact that we use a fraction of a brains may indicate we were meant to live forever, not die after 80 years or so. Our brains are like computers that have almost unlimited space.

Metsman Metsman
May '12

Aquarius - I totally agree that unexplained things do happen. There is an explanation for all of them, sometimes just not yet.

Calico696 Calico696
May '12

We use the vast majority of our brains every day...just not all at the same time.

I'm happy to see there are more people who share my lack of belief in a higher power. For years it's been difficult to admit to many because of the backlash. But I've grown tired of having to defend myself, especially to narrow minded folks who think I can't possibly have any sense of morality or decency without God. Most of us (atheist, agnostic, whatever) are really good people who have a healthy respect for our fellow man. And we don't need the threat of eternal hellfire to make us behave that way. Off the soapbox now :)

Rebecka, Here you go: It's not haunted either!

eperot eperot
May '12

I was under the impression that we use the majority of our brain, we just don't use more that 10 -15% of it at any one given time...

Albert Einstein said, "Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

I think all too often people pit religion against science as if they must be mutually exclusive. Can you believe in both God and evolution? Absolutely.

Just my two cents. On the topic of haunted houses, if you've walked through the house and feel it is haunted, find a new house. I've never seen a ghost but I've been creeped out in a house, and if I was planning on buying a house, it would have to be one where I didn't feel that way.

It could just be that you do not get a good vibe from the house! Go with your gut. Stay away from it. Obviously its a foretelling if it's going to give you trouble. It might not be haunted but have some inner issues that we tend to forget to look at when buying a house. AN old house does not mean its going to be haunted. It might be the land that it's on ..... My one house was built under an Indian graveyard. Little did we know that ... and was told by the moving company to stay away. Long story short. Make sure it's a nice home and comfortable for you to live in! A home is a home when it's nice to live in!!!

Mr. Mr.
May '12

Built on a burial ground? Uh oh.....they're here......

Calico696 Calico696
May '12

Eperot - cool! Post more?

Karen - I agree with going with your gut feeling, but try not to be biased against old houses. Some have had really happy pasts. Also - try to speak with some previous owners of the house to see if they noted anything unusual.

What if... what happens when you die is what you believe will happen when you die?

Rebecka Rebecka
May '12

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.