Cars starting by themselves?

Has anyone had this happen to them in PV?

Kissycat Kissycat
Feb '12

You've heard of remote starts, right? Unless you mean your *own* car is starting by itself, without you starting it?! In which case, you might have a problem on your hands!

Could you be more specific as to what is happening?

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '12

My husband and I were watching tv when I heard his car start and the radio playing. He has a starter for it but it was in another room. I looked outside and turned on the outdoor light and when I did, a truck drove away after being stopped in front of my house.

Kissycat Kissycat
Feb '12

Now that is really weird, Kissycat.

My only thought is that maybe someone who also has a remote start has a starter on the same frequency as your husband's car. When either of you hits your remote start... both cars start??

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '12

Yeah, I would say you are on the same frequency as someone else

This actually could be VERY scary if your car was in a garage. This could cause carbon monoxide to build up and back into the house

Actually my tech-y husband HAD to have our outdoor lights on a remote. The other night the front yard lite up....the remote was on top of the window right in front of us.

Nosila Nosila
Feb '12

Ok....Off the subject but similar....A few weeks ago it was like 4am and the TV turned on! I FREAKED out of a dead sleep, turned it off layed back down into a mellow sleep and it happened AGAIN! The remote was on the shelf by the bed!!!!! We have cats but they were nowhere near the remote! WTF!?

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Feb '12

Hmm, it actually just started itself again! Really weird!

Kissycat Kissycat
Feb '12

Maybe there ARE angles among us? ;-) J/K This is all weird stuff, though. Lights and TV going on by themselves would have me slightly freaking.

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '12

Yes scary stuff. I Don't think I'll get much sleep tonight since I'm freaked out now

Kissycat Kissycat
Feb '12

Most likely the remote start has a short of some sort. Take it to get it checked out.

Maxdout2596 Maxdout2596
Feb '12

IAfter market car starters are put in like this.

The chip that is in your key is taped somewhere in your vehicle close enough to the ignition switch to activate it when you send a signal from your remote. Some cars when they are started will unlock the door.

If someone had a bunch of car starter key fobs they could target a car they know has a remote start and attempt to get into the car. Not every car starter is protected with code inscription and some received can be over ridden with a more powerful signal even if it isn’t the right one.

Also sometimes when the battery in your key fob gets low it will send out impulse bursts without the botton being prested.

It might have something to do with those helicopters........

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Feb '12

Re: Cars starting by themselves?

Or, do I dare say.......Ghosts!

Who ya gonna call.......

John C John C
Feb '12

If you don't want to buy into the supernatural explanations, there are a number of different reasons for remotely controlled automobiles, TVs, etc. seemingly turning on or starting by themselves - actually too many real possibilities to even list. Whatever happened just remember that the car is never totally off as in the old days - just look at that little blinking light for the anti-theft system on the dash - it's alive!! So, since the automobile is listening to the outside world anything can - and probably does - happen occasionally.

The TV is generally infrared and the remotes sometimes do weird things when the batteries get low. Also, modern TV sets are never really off - so all kinds of strange happenings are possible.

(FYI - I am an Electrical Engineer and am licensed by the FCC to design, build, and operate radio transmitting equipment.)

Richard Richard
Feb '12

I put my cell phone on "flight mode" when I go to bed - it's powered on for the alarm but the wireless radio capabilities are off. A few times, I've been awakened to the phone being lit up...it freaks me out!!!

I thought maybe it was the cell phone company doing updates but I assume that cannot be done unless the phone is out of flight mode.

Has anyone had this happen to them???

Jules Jules
Feb '12

Re: Cars starting by themselves?

Christine?

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '12

Thanks for all the info. The car started 3-4 more times throughout the night. Kept having to wake up DH to say his car is on again. Pain in the butt. He is having it checked today I assume.

Kissycat Kissycat
Feb '12

FYI, I have a GROL too.

But I am sticking to my covert helicopter emitters theory.

Feb '12

I had a remote starter in my car. The doors would unlock when the car started but unless you put the key in the ignition, the car would stall and could not be driven. This is to prevent someone from just getting in your car and taking off.

Jackie Jackie
Feb '12

I had a remote started that was factory installed. I had to press the lock button on the remote in order to start the car. The doors only unlocked when I pressed the unlock button to get in. If I didn't start the car within 10 minutes it shut off.

Tracy Tracy
Feb '12

this is so strange...years ago (like over 30) my mother had a malibu classic (remember them)? We were awoken one morning with someone banging on our door.
It seems that my mothers car, 'just started on it's own'...we had to have someone disconnect the starter in the engine to turn it off...

weird!

Bernadette DeBlasio Bernadette DeBlasio
Feb '12

KeeP us updated! I'm curious to know what happened

Beach comber Beach comber
Feb '12

We just got a new Nissan car quite few years ago..and we were shopping at Jamesway ..... DW said to me..take the stuff in the cart..and put it in the trunk, and meet me by Shoprite.

I went up to the car.. Hit the opener, and the trunk button..I loaded the trunk, and I was questioning the weird crap DW had in there...I slammed the trunk, and the darn car wouldn't lock. I was like...W T H ?????

I looked at the plate...and I realized it was someone elses car.
My own car was in the next park lane...
I took out the stuff, and transfered it to my own car..and low and behold..
Here comes the guy that owned the other car... I told him I was sorry I opened his car...and showed him my car..which was the same model. He thought it was funny.
His Old Lady didn't think it was.. Ha Ha Ha ... It is what it is!
I tried to lock and unlock his car again and again...and it would not open or lock.
Must have been a freak thang..done cha know !

embryodad embryodad
Feb '12

My car was running when i went outside and the parking lights were also on. My keys were in my pocket. I also do Not have an automatic starter in my car. It is a Rav4.

imscales
Jan '14

There are cars now that can be started from a remote location, so I'm hearing ... I heard on tech trends on WRNJ that even self-driving cars are in the works, for safety.

Of course, anything man builds, no matter how well intended, will always have glitches, breakdowns, etc. Even the smartest and brightest people still make a mistake now and then.

Even the self-driving cars, whenever we have them (and who will be able to afford them?) are going to have an occasional accident and problem ... and Governor Christie and President Obama will take the blame for it ... depending, of course, on one's political party affiliation. LOL

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '14

imscale sounds like you do have a remote starter, just not the remote for it, I am guessing you bought it used?

Easiest way to check is to step on the brake, most remote starters have a safety built in that if someone steps on the brake (usually a sign of trying to put it in gear) the car will shut off, tell tale sign of a remote starter.

Darrin Darrin
Jan '14

It reminds me of my last car. I had a remote starter installed and had it integrated with the factory remote. In order to start the car you would hit the lock button 3 times. I told them that when I traded the car into the newton nj ford dealer. I'm 100% sure the salesman wasn't listening to me when I explained it. I'm sure someone is driving around in my old 2003 Maxima with remote start and doesn't even know it.

M & K M & K
Jan '14

that's how my suburban is, it's very annoying cause sometimes you don't see the lights flash so you don't think it locked, next thing you know it fires up....lol

Darrin Darrin
Jan '14

My dad has a 2014 ford focus and it started by it shelf. He had to in the house to get the key to turn it off.it does not have a remote start. I was there to witnesses this.

gary moore gary moore
Mar '15

I saw on the news that people are able to start other people's cars who have remote starters. I think it was mainly a problem with mazda cars. But people can I guess "hack" the code or something. I'm not sure how it works or how there doing it but it was on the news. If someone is around when you remote start your car they are somehow able to read the codes or signals that are sent from the remote to the car. Than basically they can start the car whenever they want once they have the information from the remote. Which is my I get off my ass and start my own car.

Melissa Melissa
Mar '15

Could it be batteries for the remote starter? Like when the batteries in my sons toys start to die and the toys light up/make sound on their own (which btw always scares the bejeezus out of me haha)

NoUseForAname NoUseForAname
Mar '15

My mother - in - laws Buick was starting itself in her garage last year - she took it in to be checked and there was a problem with it. I forget the exact details, but it was doing all sorts of weird things.

Nature Lover Nature Lover
Mar '15

what purpose does a remote starter even serve? What is the point? Seems like just another thing to break or have batteries die. I've got a stick shift anyway, and I leave my car in gear, so a remote starter would be a no-go.

eperot eperot
Mar '15

I love my remote starters, and have them in 4 of my cars. Great during the winter, you leave the car with the fan blower on and heat turned to desired setting, and also great during the summer, leave the ac on. Start your car 10 minutes or so before you are ready from the comfort of your home or work without having to go outside, and it is nice and warm or nice and cool when you get in!

Darrin Darrin
Mar '15

Could have been this. http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/
There was a k-8 geomagnetic storm yesterday.
The event has the potential to induce a current into otherwise passive electrical systems.

Jeffrey Jeffrey
Mar '15

Mustang gt turned on while I had the key and was at alejandros house

destiny destiny
Sep '15

After I start a car remotely and I take a ride and when I park and lock the doors, it restarts itself. How do I fix this problem

after you park and lock the doors, turn off the car???

4catmom 4catmom
Dec '16

Did you name it Christine, by chance?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Dec '16

My old car's starter worked by pressing the lock button twice quickly. Maybe yours is the same. Try pressing the lock button only once.

Car wishes to go right back to garage where she feels warm and safe?

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '16

My 2004 dodge caravan just started by itself!! There is no alarm, no remote starter!!! It's the base model, no power anything except for steering!!! Can anyone explain that?!

Brian Bakos Brian Bakos
Sep '17

My car started its staff and I do not have a remote I have to actually put my key in it to start but tonight I have went to the store and came home and got out of my car and locked my doors back he was on the outside of the car it does it's not a remote you have to actually put the key in the ignition and my car starting by itself while I was standing next to it can someone tell me what this could be

Brittany Brittany
Oct '17

Mr Mercedes. Look up cars that start themselves.

Kossmann Kossmann
Oct '17

I can start my ‘17 Chevy Silverado from my phone along with locking and unlocking the doors . I can be in a different country and with the satellites in the sky at a push of a button it will start.

Michael Michael
Oct '17

Oh really? Chevy has finally caught up? My '13 Hyundai has that feature, it work from the website as well as my phone.

Oct '17

Chevy has had it for a while

Darrin Darrin
Oct '17

It’s pretty neat Darrin!

Michael Michael
Oct '17

Just curious, why does one need to start their car from another country with their phone?

Tracy Tracy
Oct '17

Because they can

Bug3
Oct '17

it's really that you don't have to be in line of sight. so you can start it from your office or from in the mall and it'll be warm when you get to it. also you can lock or unlock it from anywhere.

Oct '17

It’s awesome technology that’s why lol.

Michael Michael
Oct '17

I have an out of warranty Acura. A search on Acura forums shows that OEM model for my 2010 car requires you to shut of the car off to unlock the car (after you've remote started it.) That's pretty lame.

So, any aftermarket brands/model remote starters I should focus on? I plan on going to ExoticaCustom (I may have the name wrong but it's the place on Main) to see what they recommend. My car is parked pretty far from my office so I'd want to something with decent distance. The main purpose is to start it in the morning before I head out to the gym. It's damn cold and dark at 5 am and running out in just sweats is not fun.

emaxxman emaxxman
Oct '17

hm. there ARE remote starters for the cars, but I don't know anything about remote gear shifters....
Even if you've left the keys in the ignition and gear lever in Drive position, the engine won't start again.....

I have a 2013 Tundra with a 3rd party remote start. The keys were laying on my coffe table. I closed the tailgate of my truck and it started. Any idea what might cause that? Freaked me out!

Keith Roberts Keith Roberts
Jun '18

OMG! I'm in Mansfield village(not by choice) & my husband's truck started itself a few times during the night! Freaked us out! I can't remember if we figured out why.

Although rare to live by someone with a signal transmitter with the same frequency, it’s possible. Years ago my friend’s car alarm remote for his VW Passat was the same frequency as another friend’s garage door opener. Every time he’d set his alarm the garage door would open. I bet it’s a neighbor. Hmmm. Then again, if it’s the middle of the night...

Consigliere
Jun '18

So I just had a major issue with my car and I am hoping someone can help me here. A week ago I paid $900 for new brakes, rotors, and calipers. This past Tuesday my brakes wouldn't work and I had to pull the e-brake. The tow guy told me the garage put the wrong bolt on or did it wrong and a piece was swinging back and forth. The garage claimed it was faulty pads and replaced them.

I picked up my car up yesterday and now I can't get my air conditioning to stay off! (I know it has nothing to do w/the brakes just weirdly coincidental). I cant afford to take it to a garage after paying all of that money a week ago. I turn my AC off and it comes back on within 30 seconds to a minute later on full blast. Thoughts? Ideas?

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Jun '18

Odd. At a minimum you can try to disconnect the battery for a bit. It sounds like the climate control module is acting up.

In addition the brake issue sounds like a bs answer regarding faulty brake pads. I've conducted 100's of brake replacements over the last 35 years and never had faulty brake shoes or pads. It sounds like an installation error.

If your car has remote start, the “brain” is constantly looking for a certain frequency and will start when it gets it. I had a remote start in the late 1980’s and it was freaking hilarious. You’d start the car when people walked by, they’d look in “there’s no one in there!!!! Ahhhhhh!!!” then they’d run away. Great times lol

SiaP
Jun '18

Not sure about the AC, but my advice is next time you get a $900 quote for brakes get a second opinion.

Brake calipers aren't typically replaced just for "service". Only if they become frozen (from sitting still for a long time without the slave cylinder moving) or they are really seized on the pins (they're supposed to slide back and forth). I've replaced brakes (pads and rotors) many times. Only ever had to change one caliper - on a truck I barely used.

For reference, although I do my own work, a complete set of pads and rotors for the front of my F-150 cost $108. Just recently replaced all the pads (front and back) again for $70. Unless you have something exotic (or German) $900 sounds like a lot!

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jun '18

I normally go to a local garage to get stuff done, but my husband told me I HAD to take my car to Meineke for whatever reason(I had a bad experience with Firestone once and would never go back to chain places).

It was ridiculous but by then my car was there and I needed it done ASAP, so there wasn't anything I can do. I agree $900 was insanely expensive in my mind. Too late unfortunately.

Now I just need to figure this AC issue out. I will try disconnecting the battery and see if that does anything.

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Jun '18

"Unless you have something exotic (or German) $900 sounds like a lot!"

Can't remember where but I rode past a garage offering a 'special' at $175/wheel. that's $700 right there. Don't remember it being a specialty garage.

Thought my TV had turned itself on. Scared the heck out of me! Then I realized that my dog had sat on the remote.

Older Mom Older Mom
Jun '18

Older Mom - Happens to my mom a lot. She wants to change the channel, looks all over for the remote, sits down anyway and all of a sudden it goes off. Then she realizes she sat on the remote and that's where it is. ;-)

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.