Low carb, diabetic recipes?

Would anyone have any low carb./diabetic recipes they can share?

I've been eatting like a pig and now I'm paying for it. I am now diabetic and my cholesterol and trygliceride numbers are through the roof. Doc said I'm a canidate for a heart attack or stroke. (Like a ticking time bomb) So Im trying very hard to eat the right things.

I've googled some diets and recipes but don't know if they are any good.

So would love to hear from folks who have actualy used them and liked them. :)

abbadabbadooooo abbadabbadooooo
Feb '12

I've made quite a few of Linda's low carb recipes. They were decent. Keep in mind that I substitute ground turkey for ground beef.

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '12

Another good substitute for ground beef is TVP, in the health grain section.

Actually, just go with lots of veggies and fruits and whole grains --- limit animal proteins and fats to 20% of your diet and everything should drop very quickly -- a super quick way is the Engine 2 diet --- it's pretty extreme, but works VERY well. http://engine2diet.com/ and they can be found on FB to chat with folks.

I got my cholesterol and sugars normal, but my triglycerides are still high because I don't care for bananas and was having 3 sweet potatoes in a week, I cut that back to 1 and it's adjusted. Now I put my banana in a shake! Shakeology (the P90X people) have a shake that's low glycemic and works well with diabetic diets --- it tastes great too... If you need a rep I have a good friend that does it ---

trekster3 trekster3
Feb '12

Thanks,,Calico...I can use some of these recipes too especially the meat and salad recipes.

Joyful Joyful
Feb '12

Thanks girls. Off to ck out the links. :)

Feb '12

I got into low carb eating a while ago and I find it to be the easiest and healthiest way to lose/maintain weight. My favorite receipes are the South Beach Diet and Dr. Akins. Both these websites have many receipes and lots of info. I'm just maintaining my weight now and all my numbers are good (within normal limits). It is very important to combine exercise with your diet, even if it's only walking 20 minutes a day. Good luck !

Mindy'sMom Mindy'sMom
Feb '12

Thank you for posting this abbadabbadooooo! I too was recently diagnosed with diabetes, and was looking online for recipes and there is SO much to see...Glad that there are recipes now that people actually tried and liked..

reedfamilyrocks reedfamilyrocks
Feb '12

Good thread! Diabetes runs in my family (mom, brother, aunts), and my mom followed a diabetic diet. Although I don't have any recipes to share, I would like to offer encouragement to you.

From experiences with my family, listen to your doctors, follow their guidance, and you can keep your blood sugar under control and live WITH your diabetes. Seeing your doctor for regular blood work is important to monitor your health.

My mom too, if she did have a spike, would be really careful with carbs. I know it would bring hers down quickly. She would have cottage cheese with a small amount of fruit as one of her favorite meals.

When she was first diagnosed, we went to a class, and she received a really helpful diabetic diet booklet, and information. I hope that you all have been able to receive diet recommendations/portion advice from the experts. My mom was really careful with following the diet, and it really helped her stay in control.

Bravo to all of you living with diabetes, and taking control of your health!!!!!

For those of us that have family members and friends living with diabetes, we are with you!

Peggy C. Peggy C.
Feb '12

I have also tried the recipes at Atkins and South Beach Diet and have enjoyed them. I enjoy eating low carb and when I am diligent about it, my weight is much healthier, as is my blood chemistry. I do believe it is a healthy way of eating for most, especially those with a predeliction to diabetes. I did Atkins personally but I know of people who have had very good success with South Beach.

One thing I found that I did not like were the "fake-out" recipes. Low carb muffins, breads, pastas, etc. They just didn't taste like the real thing and left me craving the real version. I did much better just enjoying the real low carb foods that are allowed (and I love eggs, meat, cheese, and the like), and preparing them in ways that they weren't standing substitute to something else. It's the most amazing thing - after eating that way for a few days I just don't care if I have sweets or breads. My husband eats low carb with me when I am on a kick; he doesn't suffer. I used to make him a starch or whatever, but the extra effort it took on my part would bother him more than doing without.

Good luck!

Aquarius Aquarius
Feb '12

Abba I have been doing this for about 2 years now. Its not easy at all. The only hting I can tell you is I take my regular recipes and play with them using whole, wheat, skim milk, less salt & and sugar subsitutes. I have had much success. I will put together some recipes for you.

BTW STAY AWAY FROM BOXED FOODS!

Christine Christine
Feb '12

All my numbers increased as well and Dr. On my case to diet (he doesn't care which one, just whatever works to lose about 30 lbs) and exercise...so I,too, looking for low carb recipes...timely post...

OnlyChild OnlyChild
Feb '12

Thanks everyone for your imput.

Looking foward to some recipes Christine.

The links were a great start. I'm going to try and put some weekly menus together.

Feb '12

We are doing the same in our house..Clyde's numbers have come down considerably by limiting carbs and going to the gym. Exercise really helps from what I've read.
@Calico, thanks for the website, definitely going to check that out.

Bessie Bessie
Feb '12

I have recently come across a wonderful website with recipes and healthy tips - it covers all types of healthy conditions: www.drgourmet.com

Bonv
Feb '12

The most amazing about eating low carb is that you have no cravings for unhealthy foods, sweets, etc. and you see results almost immediately. I work in an office and there always seems to be "goodies" around (someone's birthday, someone leaving, etc.) I don't miss eating sweets at all and definitely feel healthier. Acquarius mentioned this also. I really consider this a lifestyle.

Mindy'sMom Mindy'sMom
Feb '12

OK since it is a nice day out pull out the grills Here is a nice healthy chicken for the grill

4 chicken cutlets (pound out thin) about 3 ounces each is 1 serving
1/4 cup of red wine vinegar
1/8 cupp of a good olive oil
1/8 cup fresh parsley (you can use dry but then increase to 1/4cup)
3 cloves of crushed garlic

Marinate during the day. I make it at night and marinate all night its just easier for me. Cook on grill about 10 minutes each side. You can serve on a salad bed as leftovers for lunch also. I usually serve with sweet potatoe as it is better for diabetics or wild rice.

Have fun

Christine Christine
Feb '12

Sounds yummy! Thanks Christine

Feb '12

We are all about cure with right nutrition I have got great recipes for diabetics !

Try making cauliflower rice...it is a great sub for dishes that call for rice or pasta as a side dish! We put the cauliflower in a food processor on pulse setting until it is chopped into small pieces that resemble grains of rice. Heat some EVOO in a saucepan, and sautee garlic into it...add the cauliflower rice and cook until it is to a cooked rice consistency.
(chili, stir fry, chicken dishes, fish...goes great with everything!) We use it all the time...in fact, tonight we will be having chicken francaise over cauliflower rice :)

av111ks av111ks
Aug '14

also - try the skinnytaste.com recipes, there's a huge variety, sorted by seasons, meat, styles of cuisine, low carb, low cal...
It's my go to :)

av111ks av111ks
Aug '14

Cauliflower rice - now that sounds yummy the way you cook it, av! Great tip. Going to try that tonight.

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '14

If you have medical insurance, it may be helpful to see the dietitian dept at HRMC - I know a few people who are diabetic and have had consults with them to get help managing a diabetic diet and see what works best for each individual.
I know the hospital also has "classes" or "meetings" they give you a lot of materials and provide a lot of knowledgeable information for diabetics.
Just a suggestion :) wishing you the best!

av111ks av111ks
Aug '14

You can use a variation of Christine's on London Broil's too.

We don't measure so.... but add some oregano, whatever else you like. We add a little bit of almost everything.

London Broil is about the cheapest cut there is, and we get the cheapest like the $1.99lb doubles on SR sales. The secret is pin or fork the thing to death. Both sides. Then to keep it ez, we put the marinade in a zip lock, put the steak in, remove as much air as possible, and then we still put it in a dish before putting in the fridge. Stays nice and clean and less browning without as much air.

And then BBQ. The nice thing about the zip lock is now it's ready for the trash!

You will swear you're eating a much better cut.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Aug '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.