Is Camp Goodland still in operation?

To my fellow childhood neighbors from Old Mine Hill Rd., we certainly remember the nudist colony, Camp Goodland, which was across the road from us. It certainly was busy back then...guess I know that only because of all the cars which would travel their dirt road, causing dust clouds which would come across the way coating my dad's car with dust and also filter in our LR windows. Their pool surrounded by a high wooden fence used to be practically across the street from my house. No, I never waded across the brook to go peak through the fence...like many did. It used to be funny, back then (50's), you'd be surprised how many people would suddenly have their car overheat right across from the pool...necessitating the driver having to walk in the stream to get water for the radiator...hmmm? They did have a website, was curious if they were busy. The pool was moved away from view years ago and the road paved.

OnlyChild OnlyChild
Feb '12

Camp Goodland is no longer a nudist camp the last I heard. However, they do rent apartments there.

Joyful Joyful
Feb '12

Well looks like as of last year they were still open. Who knows about this year.

http://www.goodlandcc.com/index.asp

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Feb '12

I believe they are still open. I knew someone that went there last summer. Do you know for sure if they closed for good Joyfu? I could call my friend and see if he knows.

Christine Christine
Feb '12

Not for sure, Christine...you know...the old "rumor" thing...Guess I should wait for the "facts" before posting. I do know they are renting rooms there at the moment and don't think you have to be a "nudist" to be eligible to rent there.

Joyful Joyful
Feb '12

They are still open and they have rented rooms there for many years.

The Man The Man
Feb '12

Haha, from their website (link above):

Goodland Country Club, one of the nation's oldest nudist parks, invites you to experience our secluded rural setting in the foothills of the Appalachian mountains conveniently located in northwest New Jersey.

I wonder where the "oldest" nudist park is. They show pics of attractive young ladies on the homepage too. Wonder what shape the people who really go there are in..... LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '12

JOYFUL / CALICO696: Camp Goodland going strong. Oldest is still in existence, right where founded ( America first one ), Capt May NJ. H'Town founded as one of
first off shoots. Monthly Nature Magazine still published - check Cape May address! Knew local owners quite well, two family partnership - one husband great violinist; one of the wives great pianist ( very talanted 8 yr old daughter - piaino soloist ). Was one my biggest stops; bread route in 30's and milk route in 40's.

oldsoldier oldsoldier
Feb '12

Wow!!! Old Soldier....Did you have to wear blinders when you delivered the bread and milk??? Just kidding!!

Joyful Joyful
Feb '12

That strains the memory cells. Used to go over there in the fall and rake leaves and help with the cleanup. I remember the owner going to A&P wearing a see through blouse with nothing under it, and shocking the whole store. I saw the place on Google earth last rear and looked up their current web page.

Don W. Don W.
Feb '12

Don W……nice one. …..“ I saw the place on Google earth last rear…”. Was that a typo or intentional?

AnacondaQ2 AnacondaQ2
Feb '12

Freudian slip

oldman oldman
Feb '12

I remember the Saturday night festivities....you could hear the piano music and the cheering for I would guess the volleyball matches...in the mornings you'd hear the breakfast gong being struck...

OnlyChild OnlyChild
Feb '12

Camp Goodland. Now that I do remember.
Left Hackettstown 50 years ago.

Frank Brauchle Frank Brauchle
Mar '12

I lived on Old Mine Hill Road across from the dining hall in Camp Goodland. I also remember the ladies wearing see through blouses in the A & P. My dad always like when the rescue squad had a call there. There was a sign on the tennis courts that said"Tennis shoes must be worn when playing tennis", and the pool had had sign that said "Bathing caps must be worn in the pool".

On Saturday night they had to wear clothes at dinner time and around 8 o'clock they would play "The Stripper" and there would be a lot of laughing and cheering.

Sometimes people from the camp would go for a walk and get lost and would stop by our house and ask for directions to get back into the camp.

My brother and I would go over there in the winter and walk around.

Judy Niper Van Noy Judy Niper Van Noy
Apr '15

They sounded a gong before each meal when the camp was open. When I heard the gong in the spring, usually May, for the first time each year, I knew spring had arrived and summer vacation from school was just around the corner.

millie millie
May '15

I know the owner - One of the nicest, kindness person you could ever meet - Just a wonderful happy guy - I need to visit him soon !

Peggy Shanahan Peggy Shanahan
May '15

I remember the camp well (mid 1970s) Any one remember Fernando - the doctor from New York ?

Jason Boltz Jason Boltz
May '15

Remembering the owner, Paula Kramer, a very sweet, loving person. RIP
Does anyone know where in NY she originally came from or what her birth name was?

Theresa Rucker Theresa Rucker
May '16

When I had my first full time job, a male co-worker and his wife and another couple went there for a weekend. He related how all weekend long he spent it with his buddy's wife totally nude. On their way home they stopped to eat (fully dressed of course) and he dropped something on the floor under the table. When he bent down to pick it up, he was trying to look up his friend's wife's dress. He said there is something to be said about the mystery of being covered.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
May '16

Weird question, Theresa. Please , no one answer this.

Blazin
May '16

It sure is. I played hooky from work last summer and spent the day there. Wonderful peaceful. Can't wait to return.

Johnny SI Johnny SI
Mar '17

I am looking to join a nudist camp, is Camp Goodland still in operation for 2017?
keep in touch, thanks, Kevin Shirey.
khshirey@gmail.com

Kevin Shirey Kevin Shirey
Mar '17

It is Kevin. I spent a nice day there last summer. I believe their website is Goodlandcc.com. The owner is a German guy named Jack.
John

JohnnySI JohnnySI
Apr '17

Looking forward to warm weather and baring it all again at Goodland. A wonderful experience.

JohnnySI
Mar '18

Yes. And you will be arrested if you peep over the fence with binoculars!

Older Mom Older Mom
Mar '18

Haha. I don’t peep over the fence. I enjoy the place as a paid visitor. I don’t remember there being a fence.

JohnnySI
Mar '18

I've never visited Camp Goodland, but I visited Rock Lodge Club in Stockholm several times last summer.

Fellow Naturist Fellow Naturist
Apr '18

Rock Lodge looks like a great family place. Since my wife no longer accompanies me, Goodland is probably more appropriate for me as a single male. It’s a wonderful experience. Very peaceful.

JohnnySI JohnnySI
Apr '18

I used to go swimming in the winter at a nudist camp near Haketstown. They had a very large indoor heated pool and some friends and myself would go there occasionally in the winter in the evenings to swim and just relax after work. It was very inexpensive and refreshing to swim and just forget about winter for a couple of hours. The outside part of the camp was closed during the winter, but they kept the pool open and anyone member or not could pay to swim. I remember you could swim nude or with a suit. I remember talking to the owner and she told me that it was too much of a hassle to close and reopen the pool that they just kept it open and made enough from the non members paying to use it to cover the cost of keeping it running. I have a pool now and know first hand the work required to close and reopen the it every year. I know if mine was inside a building I would keep it open year round!! I don’t remember the name of the place, but I can’t imagine there being another one in the same rural area so I am guessing that it was this place.?? I don’t see or read any reference to an indoor pool which is why I am wondering if it is infact the same place?? I still live in the area so maybe I’ll check it out to see if it is the same place I remember going to in the 70’s.

Barny Barny
Jan '19

No indoor pool at Goodland. A very big spring fed outdoor pool. Very nice.

JohnnySI
May '19

Goodland Country Club (aka Camp Goodland many, many, years ago), located in Hackettstown, is still open and operates seasonally from May - September. There has never been an indoor pool, only an outdoor pool. Feel free to check out our website at www.GoodlandCountryClub.com and Like our Facebook page at Facebook.com/GoodlandCountryClub for further information. Office hours are 9 AM - 6 PM, 7 days a week, weather permitting.

And to answer Jason's question above, yes, Fernando still comes during the summer. :)

GoodlandCountryClub GoodlandCountryClub
May '19

Wanted to visit with my wife and daughter. Is it considered "family friendly"?

Rocco L Rocco L
May '19

There was one up in the mountain south of Washington must be gone

Caged Animal Caged Animal
May '19

Are there any plans or a possible time frame as to when or if the club opens during the pandemic?

I don’t know if Goodland will open this weekend. I’ll have to call and find out. I hope so.

JohnnySI
May '20

Is Camp Goodland opened for the month of May 2020?
Kevin S.

Kevin Shirey Kevin Shirey
May '20

I went there a few times last summer as I recently discovered it. Best find ever. Great place! Nice people very relaxing! Nice owner and a great pool and jacuzzi tub. Met a few really nice people. I went by myself as my wife is not into it. I live on Staten Island so it’s a nice and pretty short commute. I hope it reopens this season!!

Dansiny Dansiny
May '20

Went today. Weather was beautiful not too many people but then again it’s Monday in the sweltering heat. The pool was amazing and even though it was pretty hot today the hot tub felt great. I will definitely return again this season. Don’t forget to bring your own lounge chair. If any one from Staten Island would like to go and spend the day let me know I will drive.

Went a few times this summer very relaxing. Met a few new people there in the indoor steam room. Hate when summer ends.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.