Chinook

Did anybody else see the Chinook flying east?

Panda Panda Koala Panda Panda Koala
Jan '12

Our windows were shaking it was so low.

Tidy
Jan '12

Yup, heard it first, went right over the house.

cbird cbird
Jan '12

Thanks! You just made my son's day. He was begging me to post about it.

We've seen them fly by in the same direction a couple times before.
Anybody have any idea where they're coming from and where they're headed?

Jan '12

What does a chinook look like? This is all new to me.

HUGE helicopter with two rotors - one in the front and one in the back. I wouldn't know what it was, except that my son showed me one in a book when he saw his first a number of yrs ago in PA.

Jan '12

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CH-47_Chinook

Jan '12

Thanks, Panda.

just flew over mahwah, saw one fly over saddle river before

Sal Picheria Sal Picheria
Jan '12

One just went by in the opposite direction!

Jan '12

What town are you in?

Sal Picheria Sal Picheria
Jan '12

I saw it this morning when I was out with my dog! That was in Independence.

just saying is all
Jan '12

I'm in Panther Valley and my house was shaking and it was very loud about 1/2 hour ago. I looked out all of the windows but I couldn't spot it.

Cool! Hope they fly over Mansfield. Was in Long Valley all morning and didnt see or hear anything.

We saw them from Great Meadows.

and...

You are most welcome, cbel!

Jan '12

maybe they were here because Obama is in NY today

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Jan '12

Sal - look at where you're posting, that will tell you where all of us are.

Last time around someone said they had "phantom" helicopters for security reasons when the President was in the area. I heard on the news the President is in NYC tonight.

Re: Chinook

a Chinook was flying over Great Meadows this morning...and later this afternoon...one was flying over Sussex County...heres a view of a Chinook Helicopter

oldman oldman
Jan '12

one just flew over head in Mansfield.

Just had two Chinooks fly over the Sunnyview development off of Allen Rd heading south just a few minutes ago.

Bobb
Jan '12

My husband and I saw them flying over Greenview Gardens today.

jrsemom jrsemom
Jan '12

My wife DID look at me like I was a little TOO excited to see those flying by.

MikeGuida MikeGuida
Jan '12

Chinook just went over my house on Point Mountain. Second time today

Martha Martha
Jan '12

HERE TOO! In Mansfield. And i think 2 other 'copters too! COOL!

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Jan '12

It seemed as though it was going to land nearby this afternoon on Newburgh! I could hear it and feel it from inside the building, but couldn't get a look out the window at it.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jan '12

I guess I'm the only one who hates to see these flying around.

They are purpose built for heavy lifting, moving troops and weaponry. So unless the US is now a combat zone I'd say thanks, but no thanks. They represent war and destruction, and I'd want to ask why they feel the need to play "war games" in this area?

justintime justintime
Jan '12

I hardly think a couple helicopters flying around once or twice a month is war games. Plus I think it's great to see even just a sliver of our military capability in action, even if just for a training run, maintenance shuttle flight, etc.

I used to love watching the A10's low fly-by's in Myrtle Beach, or the F14's in Virginia Beach. It's about as close as you can get to the men in uniform doing what they do to keep our butts safe, even if it's just practice.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jan '12

the Chinook just flew over my house

oldman oldman
Jan '12

just flew over again...rattled the house

oldman oldman
Feb '12

Twice specifically over your house? They're coming to get you oldman. Run. Run far away.

G.C. I am not running anywhere for anyone or anything...have you ever had a Chinook fly over your home at 4 in the morning...and wake you out of a good nights sleep...DONT try to make me out to be some kind of a crank or nutcase...when you make remarks like that you do a disservice to yourself

oldman oldman
Feb '12

oldman - I live by a hospital and have helicopters at all hours all the time. I wasn't saying you were a nutcase, but that horrible awful government was coming for you and you needed to hide.

Apparently when I make remarks like that you just don't get it, snookums. ;-)

It's OK oldman, GC knoweth not what he speaketh. Or maybe he does ;) Remember, "the man" only cometh after "terrorists". Surely you're not one of those, are you? (What's the definition of a terrorist again?)

All kidding aside, I still don't like seeing military aircraft over civilian populations. There's no reason for it, especially at 4 in the morning.

justintime justintime
Feb '12

Re: Chinook

I dont like snide remarks...G.C. dont ever try to give me a "snookums" ...go about your merry way...try making a fool of someone else...

oldman oldman
Feb '12

Boeing makes them outside of Philly - maybe they are flying them up north to send overseas for the Iranian War?

how do you know they are chinooks flying overhead at 4 am and not medivacs?

wood duck wood duck
Feb '12

Chinooks are far larger than anything that's going to be landing on a hospital's roof.

Feb '12

@Wood Duck: Trust me you'll know its a Chinook and not a medicav when you hear em...

TFulp TFulp
Feb '12

4 in the morning again today...as usual...same rotor sound...house shaking again...

oldman oldman
Feb '12

in 2007...I was working the night shift in Hackettstown...military helicopters were performing night time maneuvers over Hackettstown...the helicopters looked like H-53s...they were blacked out and not using navigation lights...you could just about make out a silhouette...of the copter...and the slight sound of the rotors { which may have had a silencing device] ...they usually showed up between 3 and 4 in the morning...it looked they were doing terrain hugging maneuvers...so I am not surprised to see more military helicopters flying during the night around Hackettstown

oldman oldman
Feb '12

a familiar sound with video... http://youtu.be/9BNmV8whjDg

oldman oldman
Feb '12

Some of the choppers are using IR imaging to look for marijuana in the fields.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Feb '12

Not much growing in the dead of winter.

understood understood
Feb '12

Reggie Voter...that could be true...I saw the Army National Guard helicopter that swooped in and busted the pot farm in Oxford NJ...back in the 90s...at first I thought it was a medivac...I parked my car to watch...and then they flew over and hovered over me and checked me out...it was time to leave...after that...they might be looking for grow rooms...they busted a big one several years ago...the guy had an old barn...fixed up...like a factory

oldman oldman
Feb '12

No doubt they use choppers to look for fields, but they won't be using Chinook's or other military helicopters. The military doesn't handle that kinda stuff, that’s FBI or state police territory. Most likely they will be using little whirly birds.

TFulp TFulp
Feb '12

I remember a few years back I heard a helicopter flying low and went outside to see it and it was circling my house and then it swooped down low and just hovered in the air over me. It was the scariest thing. It was so close to the tree tops. Then it left. I know there was someone very, very close to my house that had run ins with the law, so maybe they were looking for him. It wasnt a Chinook.

We saw a chinook just after 7pm. It was flying south instead of east.

Again, I had my glasses off and couldn't get to my camera in time.
One of these days...

Mar '12

I was out walking the dogs and saw it too, Panda. I had my phone - I didn't know you wanted a pic. I could have gotten a phone pic. Next time I'll try. The thing is huge!

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '12

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.