Auto-correct...

I don't really mind auto-correct, as my fingers sometimes hit the wrong keys, and for the most part my words get corrected 'correctly' (and I'm usually a stickler for re-reading), but every now and then it does me wrong. There are sites dedicated to auto-correct errors, some of which are just plain stupid, and others which actually do give me a chuckle. Today I sent my son a text which included "much enema". I'll be explaning that one to him later, LOL

What obsurd 'corrections' have you sent/received?

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Dec '11

OH there are toooo many to list LOL!

I am trying though!

Christine Christine
Dec '11

Not really an auto-correct, but a funny phone story...

In my younger days (I was 19), I wanted to send a text, so I went to my phone book, scrolled down and selected "Dan", and wrote "Can you pick me up a bottle of vodka?".

Several days later, I recieved a text from my dad that just said "no". I was a bit confused so asked him why he texted me. I guess I had not been paying attention and instead of selecting Dan, I selected Dad and he was responding that no, he would not purchase a bottle of vodka for me:).

Happy Homemaker Happy Homemaker
Dec '11

I'm with Christine on this one.... I've had a ton!! And that's without my Red Wine!!

trekster3 trekster3
Dec '11

Re: Auto-correct...

I have tons of these - they're so funny! Too bad I can't paste them all here in one post.

jingle bells jingle bells
Dec '11

here's another

jingle bells jingle bells
Dec '11

I've made a few funny ones. If you want to see some really funny autocorrections or conversations, check out this website:

www.smartphowned.com

Fixer
Dec '11

LOL, I've been to all of the sites. I was hoping for some personal experiences.

HH, busted by Dad, haha

Dec '11

Another site for funny "auto-corrects": www.damnyouautocorrect.com

dr2mom dr2mom
Dec '11

I give up...

Dec '11

Looks like not many personal experiences on here Lori. Apparently everyone on HL proofreads their texts before posting. Enjoy your dinner time conversation with your son tonight!

M & K M & K
Dec '11

M & K,

If only they'd learn to proofread while posting on the forum, LOL

Dec '11

Lori - I seriously hope for your son's sake that you don't just "explain" but "revise & correct" your text. Otherwise it could be a whole lot messier than you expected in your household. :-(((

LOL@GC, you've got a point!

Dec '11

Just sent an iPhone text to a client. Was supposed to say: We now need to focus on your social mktg. Autocorrected to: We now need to focus on your social moth.

Thank you, autocorrect.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '12

I have had this happen so many times lol. I can't think of them off the top of my head but next time it happens I will post! I find my self texting "stupid autocorrect grr" all the time lol

Sunshine Sunshine
Jan '12

someone's now scratching their head, LOL

Jan '12

Actually that makes perfect sense.

We all know what a social butterfly is, so a social moth must be the opposite (i.e. comes out a night, avoids people, attracted to small social gatherings with those of the same species).

Many people need to focus on their social moth and put themselves out there and be more social...

Jan '12

I was writing an email to a teacher, Mr. Nutt and it autocorrected it to Butt. Thank God I double checked it! lol

My sister needed help moving stuff so I borrow my buddy's truck. Sister asked me if I had called him yet and I wrote back "No, I will in a sex." Apparently sec (short for second) autocorrects to sex ....

Computer Sharp Computer Sharp
Jan '12

i learned the hard way that if you leave off the trailing letter 'S' from the word 'assess' it still passes spell check but with a bad result.

actually sent the following phrase to a client when I need some help in gathering data points to solve a problem for them --

"Would you be so kind as to help us asses . . . ."

passed the spell check and everything, but not what i wanted to communicate

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jan '12

I once worked with a guy named Girish. Auto-correct in email always changed it to "Girlish". Needless to say, he got himself a probably unwelcome nickname.

Aquarius Aquarius
Jan '12

Happy- I like your explanation. I am now officially calling myself a social moth.

Love the "help us asses" BD!!!!

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '12

I texted my mom "What are you up to today?"

Her reply, with help from autocorrect:

"Laundry, writing letters, and wrapping two pigs for post office."

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '12

i wound up turning auto correct off because it got so annoying

PoppyGirl
Jan '12

What kind of pigs Rebecka? :o)

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '12

lol that's what I should have replied, Calico!

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '12

Lol texted my friend today about a tricky tray we are going to next week and asked her if she wanted to ride "shit gun" instead of shot gun thank you auto correct lol

shoebie shoebie
Jan '12

Me to my friend: "you've been feeling sick a lot lately. I'm really worried snout you."

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '12

Your friend's going to think one of the pups texted her...snout, LOL

Jan '12

My "Awwwwww!" just turned into "Sewers!"

WTH?!

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '12

Me: I'm doing a crack pot recipe today.

Friend: Alone in your den?

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '12

haha Rebecka! That's great!

Sunshine Sunshine
Feb '12

My sister texted me - Work is dressing me...

My text back - Isn't that sexual harrasement?

It changed her stressing to dressing lol

Another one

Me to my honey = We just got here and got 1pm rubbing time!

It was suppose to be tubing time (snow tubing) He didn't comment back because he was laughing so hard. Told me about it when I got home.

Sunshine Sunshine
Feb '12

Mom: We're thinking about getting a puppy.

Me: For you guys, I would recommend something in the Bichon family. I think a Baloney would be the right dog for you. [Autocorrected "Bolognese"]

Mom: I've heard of a hotdog, but a Baloney?!

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '12

Auto-correct doesn't even know how to spell balogna? LOL

That's closer to Bolognese than Baloney, haha

Mar '12

Oscar Mayer has a way with B-O-L-O-G-N-A. :)

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '12

haha, apparently I can't spell it either. Thanks for the reminder song, Calico ;)

Never eat the stuff myself, ick

Mar '12

Yeah, why did it spell it that way, anyway?

In any case, my Dad said he draws the line at any dogs that share their names with lunch meat or pasta sauce.

(I think they're looking into a Havanese. OMG I'm in puppy withdrawl. I want them to get it already.)

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '12

Where is autocorrect when I need it? I just wished someone who is boarding a plane to "have a mice flute!"

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '12

Me to another couple just now: "We need to look into flying in and out of St. Trapeze."

[Note to autocorrect: we're going on vacation, not traveling circus performers.]

Rebecka Rebecka
May '12

Me to DH: "You got two pugs in the mail."

(Is autocorrect only happening to me??)

Rebecka Rebecka
May '12

So, I now have my first I-phone (so far so good, I'm in primitive mode), and had my first auto-correct function change yesterday, thought I'd share and found this thread!

Mine changed, so is his treatment, "antibiotics and decongestants" to, "Antonio's and decoys"............when texted my daughter-in-law about my grandson's ear infection! I didn't notice it changed what I put in there, and off it went! She LOL'd!

So, does anyone have the short version on how to turn this off? I'll take my chances with my own spelling etc.!

Peggy C. Peggy C.
Feb '13

Peggy, it should be in Settings-> General -> Keyboard and turn Auto Correction Off

longtimelurker
Feb '13

I call it 'Auto-incorrect'.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Feb '13

Thank you Long Time Lurker! And there is was!

And I set my password too!

Peggy C. Peggy C.
Feb '13

A friend posted a picture of her newborn with his siblings. I wrote "Awwwww!" and it changed it to "Asses!" The Facebook community was less than amused. It was her first pic of the little guy. I felt bad.

Antimony Antimony
Feb '13

I'm sorry for you Antimony, I couldn't help but laugh. Damn technology. A true friend would know you didn't mean that. Maybe in a couple of years from now you could ask her how her little asses are. Again, a good friend would see the humor.

auntiel
Feb '13

Well, autocorrect, this one takes the cake. You've outdone yourself. I just texted someone:

"Please give him HIV and kiss for me."

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '14

LMAO! That is hilarious.

Unless you're the sender, Greg! :-D

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '14

That is pretty funny.

I don't have one of those phones, so I have no idea how they work. I do have a question though, does the auto correct thing happen prior to you hitting send or after? If you were to go back and proofread what you typed before sending it, would you see the change? Or does it look all fine and good and then morph after you send it, resulting in some pretty funny stuff?

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '14

Rebecka - That's pretty passive-aggressive of you! Lol, too funny.

Calico - I don't have an iPhone, which are infamous for the auto-corrects, but my android does it before I hit send. So, yes, if you proof read, you can avoid the embarrassment. I do notice with the cold, my on screen keyboard will type things other than the keys I touch.

Lynnada Lynnada
Jan '14

Oh it's there prior to sending. One really needs to proofread before sending it.

I had one a good one few weeks ago. I was at Daiichi Sankyo on a job. I composed a text noting my location and it corrected it to Douchebag Sankyo! I caught it but sent it anyway for the laugh.

Phew....thank goodness! I was already worrying about when the time comes that they don't make dumb phones anymore. I was considering going phoneless if it was the other way around.

Hysterical Greg.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '14

I was generating a cover letter for a job application and the gentleman's name was long and started with a T (I forget the name itself). I am glad I proof read the mail before I hit send because Word corrected it to "Mr. Transsexual". I didn't get contacted for the job, so maybe I should have went with it and made myself stand out more.

Jan '14

Iggy is over at our neighbors' house, and I wanted to send a text asking them if they could keep him for "dinnertime" because we are going out to eat. Autocorrect wanted me to ask if they could keep him for "sunbathing."

How does 'dinnertime' translate into 'sunbathing?' And why would they want to keep the poodle for sunbathing in the evening?

"Dinnertime" is not a word?? :-(

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '14

Maybe Iggy just doesn't keep you 100% in the loop. ;-)

That sorta looks like Iggy's style, actually.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '14

"Iggy's style"

Sad doggie. Sad, sad doggie.

Sugar Sugar
Jul '14

Just sent a text to a friend who is a photographer to compliment her on how she captured her subjects' spirits. Text sent:
"You really captured their spit."
Thanks again, autocorrect.

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '14

OMFG. I sent a text to our breeder to tell her if she was *busy* and couldn't make our puppy birthday party this weekend I would send her photos. The text I sent was: "Don't worry I will take a lot of pictures in case you are busty!!"

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '15

Perhaps she's both?

Aug '15

When do we get to see the pictures?

Please post the pictures :>)

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Aug '15

I haven't heard the word "busty" since I quit watching Match Game reruns, lol...

ianimal ianimal
Aug '15

Every time I type "gate" on my iPhone (which is a lot, because we have a front gate, and I am telling people the code to get in) it gets autocorrected to "hate." This is very annoying. I don't know why "gate" is not recognized as a word!
Does this happen to anyone else with an iPhone if you type "gate?"
Does anyone know how to add a word to the lexicon that autocorrect uses? I am really sick of sending out "hate codes!" Thx.

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '15

I finally had to turn off auto correct on my I pad. I typed and sent Sinday, instead of Sunday, once too often!

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Nov '15

https://gigaom.com/2011/10/14/ios-5-how-to-add-words-to-the-auto-correct-dictionary/

To add a new word to the dictionary, tap Settings, then navigate to General > Keyboard. At the bottom of the screen, you should see a Shortcuts heading. Don’t be put off by the name; this is the place to teach iOS new words, but it’s called shortcuts because it’s primarily used to create typing shortcuts, similar to TextExpander.

Next, tap the Add New Shortcut… button. You’ll be taken to a new screen with two text fields, labelled Phrase and Shortcut. The important one is Phrase, at the top. This is where you need to type the word you want to add to your dictionary. The Shortcut field, as it says, is optional. That’s where you’d add a shortcut that expands into the phrase you added (more on that in a minute).

After typing in a word or phrase in the first field, tap Save at the top of the screen and your word will be added to the auto-correct dictionary. Now, when you type that word anywhere on your device, auto-correct should leave it alone, and if you spell it slightly wrong, it should suggest that word, too.

Tidy
Nov '15

Thank you, Tidy! I looked everywhere on the iPhone but couldn't find that. Going to try that. But does "gate" get rejected by everyone else's iPhone too? Just curious...

lol @Spring. That sounds like way more fun than 'Sunday.'

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '15

Don't rely on auto-correct ... read over everything before hitting send ....

does the world really need to be THAT fast -- all the time?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

Yup. Yup it does.

Just kidding. Guilty of not proofing. Thought Steve Jobs had everything all figured out. ;-)

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '15

I saw the movie ... the guy's personal life was a mess.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

Got an example for you in a story I'm in the middle of writing ...

guy I'm writing about is named Shane ... I wrote Shame ... and the spell check did not pick it up.

Good thing I proof read.... or else I'd be the one feeling shame.

The all-time best one I can tell you about, way back in 1978, is when a New Jersey newspaper identified someone as "a defective in the police farce." The editor swore it was a typo ... but I'm not too sure about that.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

This morning I texted some of my student's parents to alert them that the police were shutting down our block of Main Street for the water main break. Instead, i ended up telling them that the police were shitting down Main Street so we may not have class tonight. Awkward!!!

MissRebecca MissRebecca
Nov '15

Now that's quite a visual! Glad I'm not the only one...

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '15

Now if it were a sewer break, it might not have been all that inaccurate....

I saw a football story once where a quarterback pissed for 300 yards!

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.