Aerus vacuum reviews

This thread is for anyone who has an Aerus vacuum to help advise potential buyers. I have already read the other (Dyson etc) vacuum review threads. Aerus is the name of the company that makes the original Electrolux vaacums. The ones nowdays currently branded "Electrolux" are not the same, the name has been sold. I have an original Electrolux canister vac and it is now 20 years old. Suction is pretty poor now after 20 years, and I need to replace it. For those of you who own relatively new Aerus vacuums, are they worth the extra money? I would consider spending the extra bucks if it is as well made as my original Electrolux. I like stuff made to last 20 years.

Bruin Bruin
Dec '11

Wouldn't buy any other vac. Have owned Electrolux now called Aerus for over 30 years and highly recommend them. Tried other brands but they were all JUNK. Currently own 3 from the 70's to 2000 and all still work fine. Aerus made the Electrolux as they bought the name many years ago so Aerus is the best and not Electrolux.

AerusForever AerusForever
Dec '11

They have three models now. Their "basic" (not really interested, the power nozzle does not have a headlight, and I like the headlight for under beds, etc.). The middle of the road model is what I'd probably get, has a 10 year warranty. Their top of the line model has a 20 year warranty but I don't think is worth price, considering my old model has lasted 20 years and wasn't top of the line. I replaced the power switch myself twice, part was reasonable at the vacuum place up on main street. That is the only repair I have ever had to make. Never even had to replace the belt in the power nozzle. 20 year old belt. Wow.

Bruin Bruin
Dec '11

You might try replacing your hose. The original hoses were only good for 8-14 years. They would collapse inside and hinder the suction. Feel the suction without the hose in the machine and with it. That would tell. I have the new Aerus and would not trade it for anything.

Rick Neufeld Rick Neufeld
Dec '11

There is an Aerus store in Denville that does repairs. If not worth repairing I think they will give you something towards a new vacuum if you trade in your old one.

just a thought just a thought
Dec '11

anywhere else for repairs. My 20 some odd old ELECTROLUX power head needs parts.

I have a 50 year old canister on sled rails that still works too; wonder what's that worth today......

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Dec '11

I would never pay for an expensive vacuum again. I have had an Electrolux for many years and was very satisfied with it. However when it stopped working, a family member was going to fix it for me, but it would be a couple of weeks before he could get to it. I went out and bought an inexpensive bagless Hoover to use untill my Electrolux could be repaired. Well I absolutely love that Hoover. I thought for the price I would use it upstairs in the bedrooms until it died. That was five years ago and it's still going strong. I love not needing to replace the bag, and you see what is being picked up. I now rarely use my Electrolux (even though it is working). The only thing I wish were different is the attachment hose. It is not very long, but with all the other positives, I'll live with it. And by the way, I do have pets who shed and it does a great job picking up all the hair.

Tanya Tanya
Dec '11

There is another Aerus dealer in Somerville. Went there a few years ago for bags and he seemed like a nice guy. Rick, I think you were right!!! I tried it without hose and suction is MUCH more. Maybe all I need is a hose! I'm sure it ain't cheap, but a lot cheaper than a new machine!

Bruin Bruin
Dec '11

I had a older Aerus model back in the 1990's. AFter 16 years of service and my wife using it when the bag was full, it overheated and well that was the end of the motor. We wanted to buy another vacuum but did not want to spend $900 + for a new one. I started looking at the miele vacuum's. For about $499, we found a decent one.

Out of respect for our love from the Aerus vacuums I talked to the sales guy about our situation. He was willing to give a trade in value on our old "broken" one and with the Commerical upright being less expensive and we already having the attachments decided to go with that one. The sales guy explained the pros and cons of several company's units and was very knowledgeable. He also allowed us to pay off the vacuum with several payments on a credit card that we set up with him.

The new vacuum is a lot better than our old one. It sucks through so much more air making it more effective in removing dog hair in our home. Good Housekeeping also gave it a great rating. In addition the newer units have a light that tells you when the bag is full, a light when there is something clogged, and a saftety device in case the vaccum motor gets too hot. The spindle is wood and not cheap plastic like on many other units. It is also 5 pounds lighter than the Miele. Highly recommend Aerus vacuums.

On a side note I learned that with most vacuums' when the bag starts getting full, the suction gets weaker. Due to the design of the Aerus, the dirt is pushed to the sides of the bag leaving the middle section open for suction. So it helps provide greater suction when it gets full.

Glenn Glenn
May '12

Thanks for the advice guys. Sorry to dig up old thread, but I wanted to thank Rick for his new hose advice. Yep, that's what it was! New hose was expensive, close to 100 bucks, but my Electrolux has a new lease on life! It is 20 years old this year. Think I'm going to start putting 50 bucks a month aside for a new Aerus.

Bruin Bruin
Aug '12

Go to Aerushome.com to find a location near you for repairs or purchases. :)

Kelsey Kelsey
Feb '15

Third generation Aerus Electrolux owner and would not consider anything else. 50, 30, and 20 year old vacuums and all three are still working fine.

I have an Aerus Lux that currently needs repair. My local Aerus store always leaves me feeling they want to sell me something new. About 4 years ago, my daughter bought one. The components seem cheaper. The plastic tubing doesn't stay together, and the latch that secures the power head is broken. It seems that the quality has gone down.

Connie Connie
Jun '16

Connie, you are right about Arius stores wanting to up sell . I brought my 12 y.o Lux model in for repairs ( new cord pull and an electronic part I can’t remember) . This was a $225 repair. The business owner tried hard to sell me a new one. Hard! Discounts, trade in, and even shaming me on The grime on the vac ( I used it on my car interior too, it’s beige, it will get a bit grimy after 12 years) . Well, it’s been 5 years since with no issues. This is a great machine and I will eventually replace it with another.

Anthony Anthony
Nov '18

Just bought the aerus light for hardwood floors and carpet. I love it BUT I am concerned about the better bar brush moving on speed 1 when I vacuum my hard wood floors.

Everywhere you read it tells you to avoid a brush roll but my aerus Rep told me it's fine but I cannot get a definitive answer about thdesign/operation of it so it won't eventually scratch or nik my hardwood flooring.

Debbie Debbie
Apr '19

I grew up with Electrolux thanks to my moms cleaning service. I own 4 canisters, carpet shampooer and a lux lite stick. Btw the stick is the greatest invention but can no longer get them. You could say I need a vacuum intervention and you would be correct. I ran into the homeowners of my previous house we sold because of a divorce. They asked what I missed about the home I built. Of course the aerus central vacuum. To my surprise they gave it back to me! They never used it as the accessories were lost from the second homeowner and weren’t interested in replacing them. I won the lottery that day! So I guess you could say I have a lot of experience/time using the vacuum and can say it’s safe to use the brush on hardwood floors!

Susie

Susie Susie
May '19

My father purchased Prolux iFORCE. He says that he is completely satisfied and already serves for quite some time. The dog attacked him, but everything is intact. At the moment, I also had a need to buy such a vacuum cleaner. I look after one of these options https://wisepick.org/best-canister-vacuum/ . Do you think they are worth attention? Or https://www.walmart.com/browse/home/canister-vacuums/electrolux/4044_90548_4047_164241/YnJhbmQ6RWxlY3Ryb2x1eAieie better? My budget is not big.

Liam Black Liam Black
Jul '19

I bought an Aerus LUX classic 7 years ago. My grandmas has been going strong for 30 years, up until now. Just bought her a lux classic to replace it. I love mine and hoping she will love her new one too,

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic is unavailable for comments.