Star/Cross Atop Buck Hill

Will it shine this year? I thought it always was lit day after Thanksgiving.

OnlyChild OnlyChild
Nov '11

It is always lit the same day as the tree is lit.

Christine Christine
Nov '11

We have only lived in the area since 2006, but I've enjoyed seeing that star very much these few years. Can anybody tell me anything about it? I could never even figure out where it was up on the hill. Thanks!

Panda Panda Koala Panda Panda Koala
Nov '11

Panda - I agree. It's intriguing and there's a sense of "all is right with world" when you see it lit : )

happy2bhere happy2bhere
Nov '11

There is actually quite the history behind the star, originally it was a dr who built the house on Buck Hill, it was put up as a memorial for the Dr's son after he was killed in a car accident on Rt46. It started off very small and through the years grew bigger and then the Kawanis Club took over the maintence, replacing the huge light bulbs. I believe the star is lit on Dec 1, but I am going to find out! It also is lit as a cross around Easter.

Coming down Budd Lake Hill into Hackettstown one cold December night over fifty years ago..... we looked over into the city of Hackettstown and saw the star. We bought a house in Hackettstown the next day.

joyful joyful
Nov '11

Star, Your history is correct. I have lived in Hackettstown my whole life (more years that I am going to admit !) I recall when Dr. Stanowicz's son was killed. There is only one thing....it was not the Kiwanis Club that took care of the star for many, many years. It was the Rotary Club. My dad was a part of that wonderful organization. He passed away when I was a child and every time that I look at that star shining over Hackettstown it reminds me how blessed I was to have such a wonderful, caring, loving and devoted man as a father. Thank you for allowing me to put my feelings in words. Happy Holidays.

lsricc lsricc
Nov '11

Isricc: And...your Mother as well. She was such a lady and always was concerned about everyone but herself. We wish you and your family a wonderful Holiday.

joyful joyful
Nov '11

Joyful, Thank you so very much. You obviously knew my mom and described her perfectly. It was always about people she cared about and never herself. I miss her more than words can say and this has been a very difficult time and holiday season so far. Your words brought a tear to my eye but please know that I appreciate your sentiment more than I can express. I wish you and yours a wonderful holiday season and, again, thank you!!

lsricc lsricc
Nov '11

I've loved the star since we moved into the area about 20 years ago. But I appreciate it so much more now that I know the story behind it, which I learned from you wonderful people here on HL last year. Thanks for sharing.

Wishing you all happy holidays!

Aquarius Aquarius
Nov '11

I can't imagine Hackettstown with out the star or cross. I look forward to driving down the mountain and seeing it lit up every December and again at Easter! Dr. Stanowicz would be disappointed if it was ever retired. i do not think there has been a year yet that i have lived here that it has not been lit!

when i was a kid and we would be comeing home from newark at grand mothers house it was a sign that we were all most home as we came down the hill from budd lake its just a part of local history and some thing that needs to stand for all time

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Nov '11

Warms my heart that so many share the same sentiment of the star and the cross....I've lived in Hackettstown 63yrs.......Dr. Stanowicz was our family doctor...a wonderful person and caring doctor...the whole town suffered with the Dr. and his family the day his son was killed...and Dr. S. was called to the scene (not knowing at the time his son was the victim), can't imagine. Coming down Budd Lake Hill and seeing the town of Hackettstown in the valley is quite the site, although now the trees have gotten so tall, interfering with the view.

OnlyChild OnlyChild
Nov '11

One of my favorite Christmas memories revolves around this star-Every year around Christmastime, my family and I would pile into the car in our pajamas with warm milk and or cocoa and drive around the town looking at the lights on people's houses. I was about six or seven and was intrigued by the star since the first time I saw it (I moved to town when I was five) and so my dad suggested we go "find" it like the wise men followed the star to baby Jesus. Halfway up the mountain, realizing it was a lot further than we anticipated, we decided to turn around and leave it as the mysterious star who watches over all of Hackettstown, but since then it's always given me a sense of security and community knowing how many people appreciate it's being there.

And now that I know the history behind it, the meaning is so much more special.

heartsong
Nov '11

I am Dr. Stanowiczs' daughter and the star was not installed in honor of my brother. My Dad bought the hill in 1946 (the year I was born) and proceeded to put in a road (dirt) and build a house.. it took years and years and was built mainly by Snake Haggerty and my older brother. Soon after the road was dug, a local organization(s) came to my Dad and asked him for permission to erect a frame that would hold the star at Christmas and the cross at Easter. Obviously, he was all for it! We,( my sibs and I) remember the light from the star coming in the bedroom window at night - none of us minded!! I think the organization(s) that are responsible for the star are the Rotary AND the Knights of Columbus. You would have to check with them - I have actually been curious about who pays for the electric!? I would like to thank whomever it is!!
My brother died in 1965, many years after the star started shining - however, I'm sure he is a star in his own right - always was, always will be! Sure do miss him!!
Merry Christmas to All!
By the way, to the people that have questions about "old time" Hackettstown, my mother in law was born here in 1922 - still "sharp" - any real questions, she would probably be able to help!

betty smith betty smith
Nov '11

I moved to Hackettstown about 12 years ago and that is what I was told. I am glad you cleared it up Betty, I think a lot of people in town thought that was the story behind the star. I also have heard there are tunnels under the house, if that is true, why did your Dad put them there? Have you been up to the house since it has changed ownership? Thanks for all of your info. And your family has obviously made quite the impact in the town! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Betty - and now we know the "rest of the story". Thank you.

Firefly Firefly
Nov '11

Hi Betty -
My dad was also born here (Rockport) in 1922 and is still here....they must have been schoolmates. He was class of '40. We are so thankful to have generations of great H'town memories!

S. Dellicker Hutton S. Dellicker Hutton
Nov '11

I believe that both the Rotary and the Kiwanis have had a hand in keeping the star and the cross shining over the years....my Dad has been a Kiwanian for many years and has changed many a bulb on that frame. Dont know about the Knights tho....but would not be surprised to find that they also had helped out. The star/cross is a town treasure. Thanks :)

LVMomOfBoys LVMomOfBoys
Nov '11

Neither organizations have replaced the bulbs in the cross or star in 10 years and have not done any maintenance on it in that time like I said 10 years. We have to ask for replacement bulbs so we can change them ourselves otherwise it would not get done. The star was actually down today so my brothers could change the bulbs. Thanks to them it will be lit tomorrow.

current resident
Nov '11

LOVE IT!!! look forward to it every year! Never ceases to amaze me after 40yrs. it still brings a smile to my face!

bluelinr bluelinr
Nov '11

THANK YOU all for the star and cross story and the upkeep.

It is a wonderful thing and a legend in the town. Funny, when we ask what Hackettstown is known for, we overlook the Star and Cross.

the STAR rules ---- need to add it to any "what H-town is known for" conversations!!!

Thank you again.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Nov '11

Thank you current resident for your ten years of upkeep! How easy it could have been for you end this tradition, instead you keep the smiles and memories alive!

htownchik htownchik
Nov '11

Current resident, who supplies the bulbs and the electricity? As the others have said, thanks to your brothers for maintaining it and keeping the star shining!

Are there any close up pictures of it that could be posted? I am curious what it looks like.

Joe M Joe M
Dec '11

We buy the replacement bulbs for the star and cross and replace them ourselves.

current resident
Dec '11

And I'm assuming you also pay the electricity to keep the star lit, current resident? Betty was wondering whom to thank.

(This thread makes me feel warm and fuzzy all over.)

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '11

Current resident
Thanks for the update on the last ten years. I am soooo gad you are keeping the star and cross going. If you want/need help with the expenses, I would be glad to help out - I am too old to replace bulbs but I could get you help if you need it (I think)!
Someone commented on the Kiwanis - you are RIGHT, I remember now that it was the Kiwanis, not Knights of Columbus that worked on the star - my Uncle was a Kiwanian and I remember him talking about the upkeep.
Also, regarding tunnels -not exactly-there is a bomb shelter that is accessable from inside the house. The current owners may not even be aware of it, I do not know. I will not say anymore here for safety reasons. If the owners want info., contact me. The "shelter" was never finished because we told our Dad we would rather die with everyone else - who wants to stay around and be alone? Certainly not me!!
I know my Dad and the rest of family would/is very happy that so many people get pleasure from "our Home" on top of the hill-I hope the tradition continues as long as I live.
I have a question: Who pays for the lights in town? I think people would contribute their "change" throughout the year to see more decorations!? I remember the beautiful lights that used to wrap around the phone lines (with garland) all the way up and down main street. There were also figurines at the intersections (reindeer,stars,wreaths,bells, etc. somehow they were suspended by wires) adorable!! I think it was the fire department that hung them - quite a hard job-probably couldn't get the financing or the volunteere anymore.

betty smith betty smith
Dec '11

Thank you Betti for clearing up the background information on the Star and the Cross.
The hill and it's lighted symbols hold many wonderful memories for so many of us.
I'm glad to hear that you and family are keeping up with the goings on in Hackettstown.
I find it a difficult town to let go of, no matter where I have lived.
Best wishes to you and your family...

Spring Fever
Dec '11

Re: Star/Cross Atop Buck Hill

Just lit =)

current resident
Dec '11

Less than a hour ago we were on a bus coming down into Hackettstown on Budd Lake hill returning from a bus trip to Radio City Music Hall and everyone on the bus yelled " Look, Look...the Star is lit!!!"...Guess I was not the only one waiting.

joyful joyful
Dec '11

Betty Smith _ Thank you for responding on this ! I was waiting for a family member to write in as I knew much info !!! It would be wonderful to tell Hackettstown residents about the Last Supper mural in your home - at that time - it won"t be me to post it - but I believe it is part of Hackettstown history!!!

Thanks to anyone and everyone who has EVER had any hand in keeping the star and the cross illuminated......a precious part of Hackettstown that I myself have enjoyed and appreciated since 1966....and am happy to still be able to do so! Have a wonderful Holiday Season everyone!!

LVMomOfBoys LVMomOfBoys
Dec '11

Love the star. Hate the house lights up there, it ruins the effect.

dress
Dec '11

Many years ago there was a picture in the local paper of what the start/cross looked like up close. If memory serves me well, there was one year that the star wasn't lit, but I can't recall why. I think that was the year the article ran or the year after. I'm sure someone on here probably knows for sure if it wasn't lit for a year and why if not. I'll wait for a response to see how good or bad my memory is!

Magpie Magpie
Dec '11

Dear Betty Smith (LOL) and Current resident, We know who takes care of the lights, it is the current resident and family not the organizations, and we thank you for that, we love the lights (star and cross) Thanks for making the holidays so memorable....

close resident close resident
Dec '11

Dear Current Resident,
Hi :) My name is Gabrielle. I am one of the members of the reedfamily.. I can not tell you how much I love the house on top of the mountain. I have always wanted to see it upclose, along with the view that they have, but never knew a way of doing it. I have, with my mother, looked up so much history, from the tale of the Indian being buried with his horse in the mountain, to learning about how Dr. Stanowiczs was once an owner...My mom used to work for an old man who, when he was young, was friends with a kid of Dr.S and would have parties with bonfires on the mountain...I have always wanted to know who currently lives there...I live not too far from the mountain, I can see the whole thing in my front/backyard.. I love love love seeing the star lit up every Christmas, along with the cross during Easter!! It fills me with so much joy!! Thank you guys soooo much for clearing up the story...As soon as my mom read this news feed, and told me about it, I quickly got to the computer and read it... It feels so nice for me to finally know all about this...

reedfamilyrocks reedfamilyrocks
Dec '11

current resident, thank you for keeping the star lit! It looks like my family aren't the only ones who appreciate your efforts :)

Betty, thanks for the history. These threads are the best part of HL!

justintime justintime
Dec '11

Its a hike up that mountain - did it back when we were kids. Really not much to see up close & during the day from what i remember - a wood frame w/bulbs.

The nudist camp on the hand was a much better day trip from what i remember during 7th grade summer many many years ago...

betty smith & current resident, thank you so much for this wonderful information. I have only lived in Hackettstown a few years and always wondered what the history was behind the star?
I know my family and I really appreciate it and just puts a festive feeling to the town.
I am curious if anyone knows the approximate measurements of the star?

Such beautiful memories everyone has!

Dress- I completely disagree with your coment, I believe the additional lights are beautiful and make the light from the star stand out even more. You can see how much time and effort they put into putting the lights up and I know for the children looking at the star love the colorful lights as well!

We have lived in Hackettstown our entire life and for years my husband and I would play a "game' with our daughters. Whenever we came "home" from a day's adventure in another town the first person (in the car) who saw the star would yell, "I see the star, I see the star."
Both daughter have moved out of state and last night when I drove home I saw the star for the first time this year-upon reaching home I text them "I see the star, I see the star". Great comments from both of them!
What a wonderful tribute to Dr. Steve and the current resident to have families build memories around their Hackettstown tradition!

Ziggy Ziggy
Dec '11

I am so happy to hear the star and cross are still there! My family and I loved to look at them when we lived there in the 50's, 60's and 70's. Thank you current residents for carrying on a tradition that means so much to many people still in town, and still in the hearts of those of us no longer there, in our memories.

THANK YOU, Peggy

Peggy C. Peggy C.
Dec '11

Ziggy - Your lovely story just brought tears to my eyes!

borninthe1960's borninthe1960's
Dec '11

Current Resident: THANK YOU for keeping up with the Star, it wouldn't be Christmas without it. Just yesterday when I saw it, it made my day. If the expense is a lot, you may want to ask some local businesses if you could put out a donation can there, I know I would give what I could!

Sandy Sandy
Dec '11

Might be a good project for the girl scouts to think about...collecting for the tradition--after all we are the Buck Hill Valley scouts in Hackettstown...unless of course the name has been changed in the last few years.

Ziggy Ziggy
Dec '11

the Buck Hill Star...is very welcome during the Easter and Christmas holidays...for my family it has a deeper significance...we grew up beneath the star...and the light shined in our windows at night...most importantly...Dr. Steve...Dr. Steven J. Stanowicz...was our family physician for 3 generations...and is still very fondly remembered

oldman oldman
Dec '11

I never knew the story. I did have the pleasure of meeting Dr. S. many years ago.

Thanks to the folks who work to keep the Star and Cross lit. It's very nice!

Not sure... Not sure...
Dec '11

Current Resident.....Thank You so much for continuing the tradition for Christmas & Easter!! I agree with many others that if you put a donation can out in local businesses that you would have a great response! That is a historical landmark to many many people! No one ever wants to see the lights go out. Every evening on my drive home from work, I look for the Star and instantly will start humming a Christmas Carol! It brings the simplest little joy to many seeing it lit! Thank You Thank You Thank You!!!

Betty, who would have thought that your family & it's star are "stars" of Hackettstown so many years later!!!

I am so glad I read this thread, I have always wanted to know the history of the star/cross. My dads family has lived in Htown for generations and Betty you and my uncle were born the same year, he died of cancer in 1996, but Im sure you knew him, I think everyone did. Thank you for the history and thank you to the family that keeps it lit.

Thank you... Thank you Everyone!... for all your comments, big or small. You all have given a tear to my eye too. I have lived in H'town all my life too and look forward to seeing the star and cross every yr. It brings such wonderfull memeries of the past and yes the feeling of "Home is So Close" when we are driving down the hill from Bud Lk. I do truly hope that these lights are lit every yr forever!! I pause every time I see the shining lights and just stair into them for a few moments, wondering who that person/persons is that flipped the switch this year and who changed yet another bulb.
As much as I hate change, when will the lights be updated to more energy saving, longer lasting bulbs?
My Son belongs to Boy Scout Troop 158 in town and would be honored to be a part of a yearly project in making those lights shine. As you all know how dedicated to community these boys can be.
Love you All for all your words silently spoken here and a special Thank You to "Current Resident" for all your work. Love you! You must understand how many people count on your work and admire it. Happy Holidays to All!!!

H'tonian H'tonian
Dec '11

Current Resident...
Please "Direct Message" me. I would realy love to chat with you on this topic of helping you with the lights. Troop 158 may want to be a part of it, If you would welcome them.

H'tonian H'tonian
Dec '11

So glad my initial question resulted in the disclosure of the origin of the star and cross atop Buck Hill...what wonderful history.....and how many of us love the local tradition each Christmas and Easter. I would believe as word gets around as to who/how the tradition is maintained, that it might turn into a community project to ensure it can continue....Current Resident, thank you for being so charitable

OnlyChild OnlyChild
Dec '11

I have lived in the Hackettstown area for over 40 years and still get a thrill when I see that star. I too thought it was one of the organizations who maintained it. I would be more than happy to make a donation to help with the maintenance and expenses to keep that star lit. Although it is beyond generous for you, current resident, to keep it lit every year, it also isn't fair to you. I think many people would be willing to help with your expenses. I also want to join everyone else in thanking you for keeping that wonderful tradition going.

Tanya Tanya
Dec '11

Thank you all for offering your support. We would much rather your support going towards a charity, local families in need, or local animal shelters/ sanctuaries. Lets all remember the season and give to others that need more then ourselves. Thanks again for your kind words.

current resident
Dec '11

Justintime said it best!

""These threads are the best part of HL!""

Thank you to everyone involved directly or indirectly...

CARNi CARNi
Dec '11

current resident - you have just shown the true spirit of the season.

Firefly Firefly
Dec '11

i lived in Hackettstown for the past 25 years and have enjoy seeing the star and cross every year. Thank You making our small town special.

Current Resident, you are making "Dr. Steve," his family and an entire town very happy...thank you for your continued kindness, genorosity and "Helping Hand"...(another of Dr. Steve's behind the scenes programs.) Happy Holidays to you and your family.

OnlyChild OnlyChild
Dec '11

Current Resident- You are so right, LOCAL food banks are empty, animal shelters are out of food, I know a lot of people are out of work and it is tough times but we have to think of others. Anyone that could help should! The star is an absolutely beautiful sight that brings so much joy to people, but so do full bellies!
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

JT - I wish I ws more computer "literate" - I would love to know whi your Uncle was but I can only read and respond t what is posted. I don't know how to contact a single person.

Only Child - How do you know about the "helping hand"? I probably know you!?

Oldman - Obviousy, we were neighbors as kids - I am trying to picture where you would have lived to have the light shine in your window too! Roosevelt Ave? Over by Dot and Berts?

Ahhhh, the memories! I sound like my mother - always wishing for the "good old days"! Something to be said for childhood!

betty smith betty smith
Dec '11

Betty, we don't know one another. My family are long time residents..I think it was an aunt who mentioned the Helping Hand. My father is now 88 and the last remaining member of my family...Dr. Steve was doctor to me, my parents, my dad's mother, his sister, my great aunt. My husband went to high school with your brother Steve. Unfortunately, I lived on the"opposite side of the river" so after fourth grade could no longer attend Hackettstown schools, as a kid it was difficult being within walking distance of town, yet couldn't be part of the school system...due to redistricting,...had to jump on a school bus to go to Flanders for 5th and 6th, Budd Lake for 7th and ..8th..then West Morris HS.

OnlyChild OnlyChild
Dec '11

I have lived in Hackettstown my entire life, over 45 years, as well as my parents. I grew up on Roosevelt Ave and my house was directly under the star. When I was a child my mother would tell of Jesus being born under the star, so when I was about 5 I went to school and told anyone who would listen that Jesus was born in my house, cause it was under the "star". My dad still lives there and I still live in Hackettstown and love to see it. It brings back so many memories of my childhood.

Dear JT - I knew your Uncle very well as well as his whole family!!! He was a wonderful man and VERY missed by many!!!!! Betty Smith - you knew him as well ! Betty - JT 's uncle was with our high school class ! Hackettstown has been very kind to us all !!!!!!

Can anyone give me directions to the star. I would love to go up and see it in person.

Kathy Kathy
Dec '11

The star is located on private property, I doubt they want people constantly driving up the mountain road to their residence.

deviljet
Dec '11

It is private property we do not allow vistors up. It is our home and we do not want strangers in and around our home. I hope you understand.

current resident
Dec '11

current resident - You and your family are a class act. Best wishes to you and yours this holiday season and always.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '11

Current Resident, that is so nice of you and your family to just continue it on yourselves! BUT... should you ever change your mind, or need the help, please don't hesitate to reach out. The Star and Cross mean a lot to everyone, and I know people would be more than happy to pitch in. :) Thanks again, and Merry Christmas!

Sandy Sandy
Dec '11

Dear Current Resident and Betty Smith,

Thank you, Thank you, Thank You!!!!
I moved to Hacketttown to start over in 1979 with my 3 year old daughter. Being pretty much a prior city kid I was not prepared for my first winter coming down the Budd Lake Hill into town. It was a dark and dangerous trip that night snow, sleet slippery roads coming home to Hackettstown from Bergen County. I was so tired and scared slid coming off the exit onto 46 from route 80 barely missed a stalled car on the exit.

Creeped down 46 and they were just going to put the barriers across the top of the hill, I was the last car to go down.
I saw the star and smiled almost home, thank God.
I came around the curve too fast slid and headed for the edge at the top of the first curve. My car slid like it seemed forever and came to a rest angled down when my tire caught on the curb. I looked up and saw the star and new I was going to be all right.
Somehow I made it down the rest of the hill and shocked the guys standing by the barriers blocking the road.

Thank you for giving me the courage and strength to get myself and my baby home that night. The star and cross have continued to give me courage and strength all these past years.

midnightgardener1 midnightgardener1
Dec '11

I also add a THANK YOU and GOD BLESS to current resident and Betty Smith. I have eagerly looked for the star and cross at Christmas and Easter for 34 years, and it still gives me happy goosebumps. What a wonderful and joyous thing!

Ingrid Ingrid
Dec '11

There has not been a post here in a few years but my family too was cared for by Dr Steve. So much so, that Steve became my first name in honor of Dr Stanowicz.

If I remember correctly, Mrs. Stanowicz and my mother were at the same hospital and Fritz and I should have been born close in time, but he was in a rush and I hung back so we had about 24 days between us.

During that time (as the story goes) my father lost his job and Dr. Steve employed him in some fashion to help keep our household going. I think I was also a "problem" pregnancy for my mother and Dr. Steve helped me be here.

Steve Mills Steve Mills
Aug '14

Does anyone know why the star is not lit tonight? ?

Dadof3
Jan '16

I saw it lit in all its splendor...thank you to the Huff Family for carrying on this precious memory!

Tiger Fan Family
Jan '16

Christmas is over.

Darwin Darwin
Jan '16

The Buck Hill Star shined over Hackettstown in 2015. Here is a link to the picture. https://www.facebook.com/HackettstownThroughTheYears/photos/pb.871911136258387.-2207520000.1451792135./873278259455008/?type=3&theater

Yes Christmas is over BUT the Christmas season is not over . Have you ever heard of the Epiphany? The whole meaning for the holiday! !!

Dadof3
Jan '16

As Dadof3 mentioned, for some cultures the Epiphany aka "Three Kings Day" is just as big, if not bigger than Christmas itself!

Phil D. Phil D.
Jan '16

The Epiphany is also the 12th day of Christmas. "Little Christmas" as we call it. The season ends for my family on that day Jan. 6th.

Renter Renter
Jan '16

I don't know what schedule the star on the hill does it, but I've always followed from first Sunday of Advent to Sunday before Epiphany for my Moravian Star. I took my star down yesterday evening after sun down.

We are an epiphany family - Christmas ends this week and decor starts coming down over the weekend - I'm always sad to see it go, but I won't have to shoo that cat away from the tree any more! --- Considering celebrating Little Christmas at some point if family coordination gets too crazy!

The buck hill star traditionally stays lit until the epiphany, so Jan 7th it should be dark :(

trekster3- trekster3-
Jan '16

We have a good view from our new home and I didn't notice it lit last night.

Tracy (mobile) Tracy (mobile)
Jan '16

dadof3 - a private resident maintains & foots the bill for the star.

HLamusesme HLamusesme
Jan '16

My children and I were very excited to see the star lit tonight. Thank you!

EG_1982 EG_1982
Dec '16

Yay!!!

weebiekins weebiekins
Dec '16

The star shines again, thank you. I'm 68 and lifelong resident of Hackettstown, seeing that star every Christmas and cross at Easter brings back such fond memories. My aunt lived on East Valley View Ave., with a close up view of the star and the cross...I still remember how our family would look forward to the respective holiday lightings.

Wonderful Wonderful
Dec '16

Loved seeing it lit - takes me back to when I was a kid and we would look for it as we headed to our Christmas Eve celebrations.

10yrtownie 10yrtownie
Dec '16

That star brings such joy and 40 years of fond memories.Thank you!

Dansker Dansker
Dec '16

Thank you for the star again. I grew up on West Valley View at the base of that mountain as a kid and today I come into town from Independence and still love seeing it lit.

Magpie Magpie
Dec '16

We we would like to thank all of our fellow residents for your kind words regarding the star. Our family moved into this amazing home back in September 2001, and love it as much today as we did the first time we saw it! We feel very honored and humble to live in this house. Every time we hear another great story about the kind and caring man that Dr. Stanowicz was, we feel a great sense of pride! Although we never had the chance to meet him, we can almost feel the kind of person he must have been. We are certain that when he passed away, a little piece of Hackettstown went with him.

We always looked for the star when we were kids as well, yelling in excitement when we "spotted" it. Our "reward" was paid by for by our grandfather, in the form of Welsh's ice cream (yum!) down in Panther Valley.

It has been an honor to take care of the star and cross these past 15 years, and we hope to be doing this for many years to come!

Our family wishes all of you and your families a joyous holiday season filled with peace, love and laughter.
We also would like to send our best wishes and gratitude to the men and women who have served, are serving or will be serving in all branches of the military.
With highest regards.

The Huff Family The Huff Family
Dec '16

Agree, thank you and your family for keeping the tradition going. I always look for the "Star" and "Cross". This is Hackettstown and it would not be the same without it. Have a Merry Christmas and a Safe New Year.

thehazguy thehazguy
Dec '16

To the Huff Family -

Thank you from a grateful valley that truly enjoys and values your Star!

This town was truly blessed to have someone buy that property who chose to carry on this prized tradition.

Best wishes for a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Grizzly Adams
Dec '16

What Grizzly said...coming from one fortunate to have been a childhood patient of Dr. Stanowicz and be a lifetime resident of this wonderful Hackettstown area.

Wonderful Wonderful
Dec '16

The star is a beloved memory of growing up in Hackettstown. Thank you to the Huff family.

Millie Millie
Dec '16

The tradition continues...thank you so much.

Wonderful Wonderful
Dec '17

ray lemasters helped me with some of the info on the history of the star and then the cross on buck hill, he gave me some leads, and now the rest is up to me.Im researching this for a paper to submit to the hackettstown historical society and also to present it before my masonic lodge any/all invited to assist me in any way you can thanking you in advance

paul stahl paul stahl
Dec '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.