Dead Deer

I woke up this morning to find a dead deer near the back of my yard. I don't know how it died or how it got there but I don't know what to do with it? Do I call the town or something to take care of it, or do I have to since its on my property?

HtownRes. HtownRes.
Nov '11

Maybe animal control? Call your town, they will direct you.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '11

I know in hopatcong we had to bring it to the curb as the town dwp will not remove anything from properties but as calico said call animal control n they will tell you what to do

shoebie shoebie
Nov '11

Cut that baby up and have some steak. LOL...

Metsman Metsman
Nov '11

This happened to friends of ours in Rockaway. When they called the town, they sent someone over but they were going to charge $500 to remove the deer. He and his father in law put it in a wheelbarrow and moved it onto town property. Be sure you ask if you will be charged for a pickup on private property.

blackcat blackcat
Nov '11

Whoa, no, there is an epidemic that this deer needs to be checked for!! Let me get the info for you...

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '11

Here you go. This was sent to me from the NJ DEP.

Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD) Outbreak Information

The NJ DEP's Division Fish and Wildlife has been receiving reports of dead and dying deer since early August, presumptively due to Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD). Field investigations have yielded usable samples from seven deer to date. EHD has been isolated from five counties.

EHD is a viral disease spread by biting insects known as midges, which inhabit mud flats along waterways. As such, outbreaks are generally confined to specific drainages which contain the midges.

To date, Fish and Wildlife is aware that EHD is present in the Millstone River and Passaic River drainage systems, and reports of dead and/or dying deer have been received from the following locations:

Hunterdon County: East Amwell, West Amwell
Somerset County: Hillsborough, Montgomery
Mercer County: Hopewell, Princeton, Hamilton
Morris County: Madison, East Hanover, Harding, Florham Park, Great Swamp NWR
Union County: Berkeley Heights

There is no need for the public to report additional sick or dead deer from these locations.

****Hovever, sick deer or deer found dead in or near water in locations other than those listed above should be immediately reported to Carole Stanko at 908-735-7040 or Bill Stansley at 908-236-2118. It is important to immediately report sightings from potentially new outbreak areas since EHD can only be isolated from animals that have been dead for less than 24 hours.*****

Additional information about EHD and the outbreak can be viewed at http://www.state.nj.us/dep/newsrel/2011/11_0103.htm .

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '11

If you find a sick or dead deer on your property that exhibits symptoms of Epizootic Hemorrhagic disease, (EHD) contact the Division of Fish and Wildlife at (908) 735-7040

BLD2
Nov '11

Maybe a hunter shot it and he/she never retrieved it. Did you notice any entry wounds?

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Nov '11

Re: Dead Deer

Wow, this takes me back. We had a sick deer on our property last year. Phone calls, emails, etc, and it still took over a month for an "expert" to come take a look at the poor thing. Despite being emaciated, strings of saliva hanging from her mouth, tumors on her face so large that her skin was splitting open, she was deemed 'fine'. Two weeks later, when she collapsed against the side of my neighbors house, he didn't mess around. He called the State Police who promptly came and put her out of her misery. She was picked up not long after, but of course we never found out what exactly she'd been suffering from...

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Nov '11

In this circumstance you should follow the EHD outbreak info links.
In the past, however, the Wolf Preserve in Columbia ( http://www.lakotawolf.com/) would pick up a dead deer, cut it up and freeze it for the wolves. Keep this info handy for the
future.

Ronnie Ronnie
Nov '11

You need to dump it on the road or you will pay for removal!!

MrNegativeNJ MrNegativeNJ
Nov '11

There was a dead deer a month or so ago on Catswamp Rd in Allamuchy sort of on the shoulder but almost in the roadway just as you turned off onto Catswamp from Rt 517. Someone (Allamuchy DPW??) simply moved it across the road to decompose in the woods. Thought it was a half a** way of removing roadkill!!

thanks everyone. i called the police station but since its on our property they wont do anything. since we rent, we called my landlord to take care of it.

Htown Res. Htown Res.
Nov '11

You need to call the DEP.

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '11

The ground ain't frozen yet... just dig a shallow hole and bury it. DONE!

embryodad embryodad
Nov '11

Call the DEP as Rebecka has stated! I read that article in the paper a few weeks ago myself.

Magpie Magpie
Nov '11

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.