Allamuchy General Store

I just went into the Allamuchy general store, for the first time, and it may be my last. My initial reaction was "how sweet" I've got a great new place for lunch and Boars Head Cold Cuts without traveling.
However, the man running the deli counter was, unwelcoming, unfriendly and in a nutshell, basically rude.
I don't want to write it off by one bad experience, so my question is ... Can anyone defend the Allamuchy General Store?
Deb

Debra DeFazio Debra DeFazio
Oct '11

Probably the owner. Not the warmest man on the planet, but really a nice guy once you get to know him. My first reaction was the same. While service is important, more importantly, how was the food? I've never had a bad meal there. Great sandwiches at breakfast and lunch and great pizza!

pvmom pvmom
Oct '11

Customer service has a lot to be desired. Can't defend him. Sorry. Lot's of good food out there and good customer service too.

Firefly Firefly
Oct '11

True, Firefly. I have to admit that convenience plays a role in it for me too. If I'm looking for a quick, local takeout pizza, I find the customer service at the pizza place in PV even worse. Usually I run down to Enzos for good food AND service in the pizza arena.

As a side note, Vanilla Market has great food and great service as well. They have the best specials and sandwiches!

pvmom pvmom
Oct '11

I used to work there, the Owner is a jerk. He doesn't care about customers. I wouldn't waste your time or money, there are far better places in the area.

Tonya Tonya
Oct '11

That guy is awful! We have been in twice since we thought the first time; might be a fluke. We went after a basketball game at Allamuchy school and he told us how much Allamuchy hates playing in the league with H'town and Independence. He was rude and condescending to me. I tried it again because I like to support local business and he was equally as rude. He made us wait to order as he gave a worker instructions for the next say for a good 10 minutes. If you are in the restaurant business, you would think that kindness would be up there on your skills!

Tiger Fan '79
Oct '11

I'm curious how a place like this stays in business. How long has this person been there?

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '11

Saw all the signs this summer stating that they had ice cream sundaes. Drove over to give them a try only to find out it was Edy's Ice Cream. No thanks. Never even went in.

Jackie Jackie
Oct '11

I don't go in there anymore just because of his bad attitude. Convenient or not. I haven't been in there in years. I can't stand the way he makes you feel like your bothering him. I have lived here for 7 years, so I know he has been there at least that long. Things are overpriced and you will wait a long time for a sandwhich. It's a shame really. The general store looks quaint on the outside and could be a real plus for the community but not with that sour puss behind the counter.

Jaemae Jaemae
Oct '11

I had the best "garbage" pizza minus anchovies from there a few weeks ago - outstanding!

RonPaul
Oct '11

I hope they take a look at the "reviews" they're getting and (hopefully) step up their game. It's a shame, really, because it's such a quaint place and could really be a harbor for the community.

happy2bhere happy2bhere
Oct '11

If this is the same place im thinkin of, like stated above, at first not too nice... Then he warms up to ya after he realizes you come in every so often.

Jfdagreat
Oct '11

We too found the same poor attitude by that guy. We very much were hoping to make the Allamuchy General Store our place for breakfast and great sandwiches but the same man you are referring to was so unwelcoming and off-putting that we won't go back. We gave it a few tries, hoping that he wouldn't be there but he was each time.

Unfortunate because as previous posters stated, it could be a very big plus for our area.

Jules Jules
Oct '11

Same here I tried twice. I tried sandwiches "to go" for lunch once and they were very expensive for what I received. I had a friend visiting and brought her for breakfast; only two of us in the store and we ordered the same thing; eggs and sausage. They only brought out one plate he said the cook made a mistake. I won't go back because of the food and the service.
Terra Nova makes huge subs at a great price! My husband and I just discovered that when we went to a recent football game and needed quick tailgating food; will definitly use them for subs from now on.

I used to go there for charity contributions for HHS teams. Boy that was scary. After that there was no need to be a customer. Wasn' t that he said "No," he was how he said it. Yech.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Oct '11

Holy cow, mistergoogle - your post only took up TWO lines!!! ;-)

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '11

When I lived in Allamuchy I used to go there to get pizza and sandwiches....always felt like the guy had a issue with me or something.........dont know how the place stays open with a unhappy and rude owner that treats his customers like jerks.....just my two cents

sadbear sadbear
Oct '11

He is not worth even that much..:>)

Oct '11

Is this the place on the corner by the Allamuchy school?

Gotigers
Oct '11

Correct Gotigers; across the street from the little liquor store.

TFulp TFulp
Oct '11

Thanks for the feedback. We are always looking to improve ourselves. Really hoping you will try us again for a better experience...

The Better Half

The Owner The Owner
Oct '11

Guess I must just have a friendly face? I've never had a problem there with food or the owner!

htownchik htownchik
Oct '11

Re: Allamuchy General Store

I've been dealing with the owner in regards to the Alamuchy Harvest Festival since last year and find him to be friendly and helpful, and also as the Distribution Manager of the NJ Herald in selling our paper. I've never had a chance to eat there, but plan to in the future.
I just find it funny that the Hackettstown Life Site owner has allowed this thread to continue. I'm sure the few that have posted here have hurt this business more than helping it improve. Maybe it would have been more helpful to speak to the owner in private instead of assasinating his character on the forum. Just my measley 2 cents worth.

John C John C
Oct '11

John C - sounds like he's the one hurting his business !

John, your good experience with the owner seems to be a rare thing, I however have been treated like a jerk many times by him. I have nothing bad to say about his food. He just isnt worth my time or money.

sadbear sadbear
Oct '11

John, Everyone can't be wrong here. Speaking of someone's customer service is not the same as "assasinating his character " He's not nice. Even when you are trying to give him your hard earned money....He still is not nice. End of Story.

Firefly Firefly
Oct '11

i hope this helps his business not hurt it. maybe he will read this and change his ways.i have never been in their but would like to give him a chance.

luvjaz luvjaz
Oct '11

If someone has such a poor attitude, it's really hard to want to go to them and tell them so, especially when you don't know he/she. Would you really expect that a majority of the customers that feel that way would confront him when he already clearly has an attitude that is far from welcoming???

We all have our moments and that is why many of us already stated that we hoped it was a one-shot deal and went back again to try. We WANT our local businesses to succeed.

Quite honestly, how can a business owner not know that customer service is the # 1 priority? The customers keep the business alive and good customer service keeps the customers coming.

Plain and simple.

Jules Jules
Oct '11

@luvjaz I "put up" with his rudeness only because A. My girlfriend loved their pizza and B. I enjoyed his pizza and subs........very good food but in the long run his rudeness just didnt cut it. I went there for 3+ years and had finally enough of being treated like a jerk. Now I live outside the area so its truly a non issue.

sadbear sadbear
Oct '11

well..maybe he doesn't really want to be "busy"..a small business is alot of work especially when he has the only general store in the vicinity of panther valley

Bug2
Oct '11

I went there during the summer on a hot day, it was actually even hotter inside the store, i didnt think that could be good for the food that was displayed ontop of the deli case, plus the stuff inside the case didnt look good either. The man never even looked up at me, so i just walked out.

Then I guess it's okay to call someone an a**hole on a public forum so that everyone in the world now gets the impression he's an a**hole without ever even meeting him instead of telling the guy he's an a**hole to his face and hope that he may see the error of his way.
Something very close to this happened to the "Gettysburg Vent" forum a few years back where posters made comments about a business owner that are like the ones posted here. This business owner actually went after the owner of the forum site and sued winning big bucks and closing down that forum by a judge. So while you may feel good about these posts, you might be hurting Chris the owner of Hackettstown life in a legal sense if the store owner is as much of an a**hole that you say he is.

John C John C
Oct '11

John C:
No one has used the phrase a$$hole when referring to the Owner of the Allamuchy General Store, only you did. People are not stating not to go there, just sharing their experiences of when they went there....I understand that you have some sort of personal relationship with the owner, but you need to calm down. This happens all the time on HL, if you have such a problem with it, why haven’t you come to the "rescue" of other threads like this one?

TFulp TFulp
Oct '11

John, I understand you & he get along, and thats great. However Im not the only one on here that has had poor dealings with this guy. I have told him he was rude and his view was "go screw" (note I didnt call him a a-hole just pointed out his rudeness) Your defending the guy just cause you get along with him but not many people share your views......if you read my posts I myself liked his food not his service....your talking about lawyers now too? Why ? its a forum to express views and some (most) people have had bad service end of story.

sadbear sadbear
Oct '11

No relationship here, just looking out for Chris the owner of Hackettstown Life. And I am calm. And I used the term a**hole in general, not in regards to anyone in general. Everyone here has the luxury of hiding behind screen names, but the owner of this forum is public knowledge.

John C John C
Oct '11

Could you imagine if this store was located in the high school parking lot...ANARCHY!

Maybe spread some good PR via free cupcakes... ;>)

Oct '11

If he doesn't also provide free drinks it will be bad PR. ;)

jrsemom jrsemom
Oct '11

Is the store really that bad or is it the doom and gloom of the rainy weather getting to everyone?

If its that bad buy your pizza at Momma's they get great reviews here. If you really need Boars Head meat go to Piggies. If you want ice cream go to Cold Stone or Dairy Queen.

It's Mama's!

lol jrsemom!

Firefly Firefly
Oct '11

FF - Joining the spelling police? Your new badge will be forwarded to you shortly. :)

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '11

lol Only because it's a business. A badge really? Cool!

Firefly Firefly
Oct '11

And for the record, I doubt there is much very much legal liability for the comments posted on this particular post. People are commenting on their experiences with this store and not disparaging the owner with bad words, etc.

Based on several of the experiences posted on here, he seems not to be the most customer service oriented person. But then again, he still has a working business so that means he has customers that are willing to tolerate poor service.

"But really a nice guy once you get to know him".

So you have to get to know a person who operates a business dealing with the public before he's nice to you? Nooooo thank you! Plenty of other places to eat in our area without having to deal with an "attitude".

Are you the Debra De I know ? If so... Not everyone can be as kind and sweet as you are...see you Sunday for a cold one.

PREDATOR PREDATOR
Oct '11

Wow, the truth hurts. His attitude is terrible. Small town deli with big city attitude. His days are as a business are numbered.

danger danger
Oct '11

Is the pizza good? Are the burgers good? Are the sandwiches good? Are the prices decent and in line with other food places in the area? I go to a place for the food, not to be schmoozed and coddled by the owners of the diner/restaurant/general store. If I want a warm, fuzzy feeling with my breakfast or lunch, I'll go to my best friends house.

I agree with all you nay-sayers about his attitude/personality, but I go out to EAT where there is decent/good/great food, not to be made to feel like a queen by the chef or the owners of the restaurant. And like others have said, I strongly support local, independent businesses over chains.

Slade Slade
Oct '11

Big difference between wanting to be coddled and wanting a modicum of decent service. Some people can tolerate poor/rude service while luckily others cannot. Imagine where we'd be if everyone was able to get away with that kind of service. Respect is a two-way streak and it appears the owner of this store doesn't think his customers deserve any.

I don' mind attitude; it's bad attitude I don't need.

Remember the Deli in Best's that lasted a week.... This guy had bombastic young ladies (not that there's anything wrong with that) ONLY (now there is something wrong with that) behind the counter and had a BAD Brooklyn atttitude.

Meanwhile there's a used tire guy in Stroudsburg who has a Brooklyn attitude (back before Brooklyn went Yuppie as he calls it), is a little frisky with the ladies (all ladies treated equally), tells off-color jokes, and is really one-of-a-kind in a good, unique frendly way. Might not like his attitude but I don't think you would say he has a bad attitude.

"This editorial, nor the lack of wit involved, does not reflect the board management. Nor does it reflect any person, living or dead, in the Allamuchy or Hackettstown regions. It was written by an anonymous person who may not even be the usual anonymous person who is, well, frankly, anonymous. Actually, it was never really here. Can you say for 100% certainty that you are there?"

Oct '11

Two-way STREAK? Never heard that one before. Does that mean that both customer and business owner are to be nekkid?

LOL

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Oct '11

I agree with everyone on here's opinion that customer relations leave alot to be desired! This is over many years of occasionally stopping by. I used to love their breaded eggplant, however the last time I bought some(about 2-3 months ago) it was MOLDY! That, on top of the general unpleasant atmosphere will prevent me from ever returning.

Never had an issue. The foods always been good. Owner has always been nice and remembers us when we go even if it has been a long while. Prices are very reasonable. When we go, even at lunchtime, we always order breakfast.

As for his business days are numbered, well they've been there a long time and he isna huge part of the town and helps organize the allamuchybharvest rest which is a huge boost to our tiny towns economy.

muffin muffin
Oct '11

Allamuchy has a town? ;)

Christine Christine
Oct '11

with an economy?

Oct '11

I think its wrong that anyone would come on here and badmouth a business owner or a business. I think the owner of hackettstown life needs to screen these posts.

mom0f3 mom0f3
Oct '11

I'm disappoined to see the threads complaining about this good, charming local business. At any given time this family owned business, you walk in, they know you by name and eager to seat/wait on you. If you go into the AGS all the time they even know what you usually order. Yes, this is small town stuff, but it is part of the charm.

I have no issues with people complaining, its your right, but what bother me is that most of these threads are not true. It's a warm place to sit at the bar and debate local politics, sports, or whatever. Yes, sometimes it even gets spirited. If you were around in the old days of Mick & Hedy's in Hackettstown, or the Cottage, the same spirited discussions about "how to fix the world" took place there as they do at the AGS. These business' survived for a generation. So will the AGS!

I have been in the AGS too many times to count, it is reasonably priced, the food is always fresh and very good. Those reading this need to read above the personal attacks and remember that the owners of the AGS are passionate about their family business and do a very good job running it.

AllamuchyResident AllamuchyResident
Oct '11

maybe a HL breakfast or lunch date could be organized and then lets see the reviews

Superman
Oct '11

@ Allamuchy Resident...totally agree. Seems to me the people attacking this man have never even been at this business. Its the same people I see complaining in every other forum on here. Same ones all the time. Maybe its time to look at their perfect life and find the issues that lie beneathe. I am a frequent customer also and they are very hard working people. Always very busy whenever I am there. They just opened a new menu and its great. Especially the breakfast. I suggest people judge for themselves and not by the naysayers attacking it.

customer
Oct '11

I honestly don't see anyone bad mouthing any one; I just see folks describing their experiences.

Obviously someone goes there given the out of the way location and the longevity of the business.

Nice to see nice comments, hope the business takes advantage of all the comments.

And for those who say "it's the same ole complainers," well that's why it's a community forum and I am one of them and I am glad the others are here so we can share our thoughts, our complaints, our p a s s i o n s, our recommendations, and take advantage of other's experience. I guess if that's not your cup of tea, drink coffee.... ;>)

Oct '11

Been at the business and the guy is rude! Tried to go because I like to support local businesses, wanted to love the place.

Tiger Fan '79
Oct '11

No one's attacking, an opinion was requested by the OP, and people are giving theirs. what's wrong with that?? I am relating my experiences and apparently many others feel the same way. Why would people make up a story about a general store-come on. Just because you may not agree with it, don't get your knickers in a twist!

The Allamuchy fest was horrible. Last year it was sooooo much fun. What happened?

indy mom
Oct '11

The girls go out once a month for breakfast, but we go to Stella Gs instead although the General Store is much more convenient. Whenever we go to the General Store, he is so unfriendly and makes us feel unwelcome. He's always trying to rush us out although no one is waiting for our table. He is constantly coming up with new marketing ideas - pies, ice cream, etc., when all he needs to increase business is a smile and a friendly attitude.

observer2 observer2
Oct '11

Now I am curious, he keeps on coming up with new things to bring business? (ice cream, etc.). Seems he wants to improve the flow of people through the store? Now I wonder why so many have said that he has been rude to them... I am sure that from people's reactions to his crankiness, he knows that they are not happy with him... I wonder if he has chronic pain, sleeplessness, depression, grief, etc. -- or just his nature? Seems that some have found the owner to be nice "once he gets to know you."

pmnsk pmnsk
Oct '11

I have to go to this place and meet this guy. Is he worse than Jay? Maybe I can ask his opinion on public workers, tenure, pensions, etc. LOL!

iJay2 iJay2
Oct '11

Great food and I never got a hint if attitude from anyone there. Maybe it's you?

notreally notreally
Oct '11

This seems like the Pump House reviews, either you are an old( Long time) customer and are treated great and the food is wonderful, or the food is marginal, service is crappy and you get ignored, seems there is no middle ground. Love it or hate it

eapos eapos
Oct '11

He has always had ice cream just has pushed it like this year.

muffin muffin
Oct '11

"Great food and I never got a hint if attitude from anyone there. Maybe it's you?" Um, notreally, over a dozen different people have posted bad experiences with this store. So you are saying that it's the customers who are unpleasant? I don't think so!

I'm not an old long time customer. I'm there maybe twice a year if that.

muffin muffin
Oct '11

I am not a long time customer, I've been there maybe 4 or 5 times. I don't know the guy either. I just don't find any attitude here. Jams, if you are saying that customers are never unpleasant then you have not worked in a service industry. Anyway, no need to get your knickers in a twist.

notreally notreally
Oct '11

My knickers are perfectly straight lol.. And believe me, I'm not saying that all customers are pleasant-I know that's not true! However, speaking for myself, and another family member who has stopped in occasionally, it's just not a "welcoming", small town friendly atmosphere that I usually see when going into little general stores. It's really just an observance of mine, and apparently many others here. I love little stores and just wish the guy was a bit more friendly, that's all. Glad you had good experiences there.

Seriously, how is their pizza? Do they have a good sauce and nice crispy crust and good cheese?

That's ALL I want answered. LOL. Nothing else about the owner, the town, or what's on sale at the liquor store across from it. Just pizza and if it's good or not. ;) thanks

INeedMoreCowBell INeedMoreCowBell
Oct '11

Service: very nice all around
Pizza: very good actually
Dessert: stale, but they took care of

They're coming out with a new menu and site. I am definitely going to use them again. ;)

Oct '11

Whatever happened to the phrase our mothers taught us "if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all"??? I have never seen such an attack on someone's character as much as these comments against a man trying to earn a living and raise a family in Allamuchy.

My friends and I have ordered many pizzas, sandwiches, and love the breakfasts from AGS. We go to the store and often use the delivery service. We all enjoy the food and like the owner.

This appears like some personal attack on the owner and it does not seem very fair or valid.
I hope everyone gives AGS another chance and support a local business

maggie maggie
Oct '11

I've gone there once, on a lure for their ice cream sundays. The owner was extremely rude. Had no hot fudge, was eddies ice cream, and once scoop...two sunday's...one scoop of ice cream each, some choc sauce....$9.50...no thanks.
Plus the pizza looks worse than frozen.

Denise Landon Denise Landon
Oct '11

How were their ice cream mondays? LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '11

Just so very very sad. First time in the store for lunch, the owner acted like he couldn't have cared less which made me feel bad. Stopped in again quite a few months down the road and generally just acted NICE to the man. Both times I ordered chicken salad wraps and they were just fantastic. Overstuffed sandwiches. He remembered me the second time as I'm a business owner in Hackettstown and vicinity. We were very nice to each other. AND...the price for the overstuffed wrap I believe was approx. $5!!! Can't beat that!. People were sitting at the booths and generally seemed happy. So sorry to see this store get such a "slamming". Maybe things will change for the better and some new people will go in the store and give the guy a chance. "what the heck".
Only thing that I could complain about is that the baked goods were not fresh and the dip of Edy's could have been a bit larger. Other than that ... can't complain.

sassycats sassycats
Oct '11

His behavior sounds more inconsistent than a woman with PMS! and you guys think we are bad! lol

Firefly Firefly
Oct '11

@AllamuchyResident, I have ate there on several occasions. No problem what so ever. Food was great and he was courteous to me!!What is wrong with you people?? Why all these personal attacks against the owner? This is libelous at best! Do we have perfect places to eat in Hackettstown with perfect customer service. I think NOT!! Grow up.

pampurr pampurr
Oct '11

pampurr: Your opinion. I've never been there but I'm going next week with a HL friend to check it out. If I have something positive to say, I will. If I have a negative opinion, I'll let it go.

BTW, not for anything, but I think I can recall you doing some pretty good bashing on here from time to time.

BTW cbel..... I would not blame the owner if he sued for libel. These antics cause businesses to fail and this thread is a prime example!!

CBEL I never personally attacked a restaurant owner on this forum ever.

pampurr pampurr
Oct '11

pampurr: I never implied that you attacked a restaurant owner.

This man may or may not have a clue about customer service. If he doesn't, then shame on him. His business will suffer. There are lots of other friendly eateries to go to.

It seems there are alot of negative posts regarding the food establishments in the area on this forum.

1. Allamuchy General Store
2. Pump House
3. Sandwich Shoppe

Maybe its time to stop bashing the business on the forum and go talk to the owner and let them know you have a problem. They will never have a chance to correct the problem if you put them out of business by bad mouthing them.

Salvatore
Oct '11

Salvatore: I've done that. Sometimes it just doesn't work and it's the business owner's loss.

I think there is a fine line between bashing and opinions. Most of us have done it one time or another. Some of us have done it anonymously. I personally don't listen to any reviews and check them out myself especially when I see new names popping up on the thread.

Christine Christine
Oct '11

All of this chatter made me hungry for an Allamuchy Gen Store turkey sandwich. I stopped in a week or so and the owner couldn't have been more pleasant. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he has read the feedback on this forum and taken it to heart. It certainly seemed that way to me. I always respect somebody that can respond positively to tough feedback and he seems to have done just that.

Ps. He has, by far, the best breakfast sandwiches in the area. Very generous with his fillings!

pvmom pvmom
Oct '11

When I am in the area I always stop at Chefs Market....always a great sandwich...I will give the AG store a try one of these days.

PREDATOR PREDATOR
Oct '11

pvmom --- I think you hit the nail on the head, spot on.

I do not see any "libel" here since libel requires " A published false statement that is damaging to a person's reputation; a written defamation." Key words are false and damaging. Good luck with both based on what's written here.

Hopefully the owner will take advantage of what I see as heartfelt comments from a group of people that really would like to go there and see him succeed in a fabulous fashion. Apparently he has the location, the ambiance, the food, --- everthing to get new people in the business and to keep them coming back over and over except for one small recurring item that seems to be really ez to remedy. In terms of improvement, "just a teaspoon of sugar helps the medicine go down....."

Not too hard and keep the honest dialogue going. Nice job pvmom. And it sounds like a number of newbies are going to give it a try. Can't wait for the results.

Oct '11

I'll be stoping in tomorrow. Kiddo has a soccer game and might have to swing in for brunch!

And yes allamuchy has an economy. One worth supporting. Not just a place to pass by to rte 80!

muffin muffin
Oct '11

mistergoogle, Are you kidding me with your statement these were "heartfelt" comments. These were rude personal attacks against the owner of the food establishment and his food! You need to read your Dictionary and get the proper definition of heartfelt. It certainly is not defined by this thread!!

pampurr pampurr
Oct '11

I still think the owner is rude and I still think the food is good.

sadbear sadbear
Oct '11

Nppe. Overall I just don't see it pampurr. Sorry.

Oct '11

You are wrong Pampur. You need to check the dictionary. The definition for heartfelt is:

heartfelt (ˈhɑːtˌfɛlt)

—adj
sincerely and strongly felt

Firefly Firefly
Oct '11

Firefly this is your heartfelt comment, "His behavior sounds more inconsistent than a woman with PMS! and you guys think we are bad! lol"

You need to learn the definition of heart felt FIREFLY!!!!!!!!!!!! You are a name caller too! grow up!

pampurr pampurr
Oct '11

Hopefully we will see a difference when new posters say, "I just went to AGS and my, how nice it was...."

I was encouraged to see the numbers of folks indicating that they will be there soon.

Oct '11

maybe he was having a personal issue (death in family, major illness hit someone he cares about..) you never know.. i have bad days.. we all do..i don't go there or know the owner.. just sayin..

darlughh darlughh
Oct '11

pampur - and I sincerely and strongly feel that his behavior is more inconsistent than a woman with PMS (based on the observations reported here).

I never called anyone any names. You however did make a low blow towards me for stating my opinion.

Firefly Firefly
Oct '11

We decided to give the AGS another chance and went recently for breakfast. The owner's attitude was noticably different - in a good way. He did a 180 with his poor customer service and we are happy that we tried one more time.

Breakfast was great and we will be going back again. I'd recommend giving it one more try.

Let's hope the service remains welcoming!

Jules Jules
Dec '11

Yea. That's great, we all should give it a try.

Dec '11

if this is the same guy that once had a store in Succasunna,he can be rude,just talk Knicks basketball with him.

cdigger cdigger
Dec '11

I stopped in one day recently for a piece of pizza to go. The owner was a bit abrupt but I feel that it is not because he is not nice he just isn't that friendly or outgoing. He really should be in a different line of work or just stay in the background. Then again with the economy maybe he has to "work" the biz. The pizza slice was awful and it was at lunch time. It tasted old. It may be good pizza when freshly made but serving this piece was not a good idea to get me to try a whole pie.

Firefly Firefly
Dec '11

We stopped in and had an amazing breakfast, Skittles, French toast and Omlets.
There were three of us. The food was So good and he was so nice....we really enjoyed
ourselves.

Lee Garrard Lee Garrard
Jan '12

I think some of you are just plain mean!

Lee Garrard Lee Garrard
Jan '12

Dean is a cool guy. I used to live around the corner from his old store in Succasunna. We would joke around and he would pick on me for liking the Bulls back when Jordan was playing with them. And then I'd make fun of him when the Bulls would bounce the Knicks out of the playoffs. LOL...

Metsman Metsman
Jan '12

Does anyone know about their web site and if it's going back up? I was told about 2 months ago that the menu was being revamped and that's why the site was down, but lately it's been taking me to sites like turbotax and such.

They were nice as pie with me on the phone previously and their pizza was better than we expected. I just wanted to see the new menu, so hoping the owners will see this and point us.

Jan '12

Russ had the owner on the radio show this afternoon. I unfortuantely did not catch the whole conversation.

Christine Christine
Jan '12

I didn't hear the owner either, but at 5:00 he mentioned the owner discussed the question about the web sit. He said it was taking more time than expected but is still going to be live relatively shortly.

Heard the entire interview...it seems the whole thread on HL was started from a disgruntled poster who was trying to make trouble for the Allamuchy store. He said he is always friendly and has been in business there for 12 years with no other problems. and....is starting a new menu and website soon. That is all I know..

joyful joyful
Jan '12

GC - huh? web sit? Was that a freudian slip? LOL

BLD2
Jan '12

Figures... it seems there are quite a few idiots around here. I like Dean.

Metsman Metsman
Jan '12

There certainly are Metsman.

Firefly Firefly
Jan '12

Its odd that the OP has not even posted after her first post! I wonder if its her real name?

Christine Christine
Jan '12

Well it sounds like 1/2 the posters experienced service issues, not just 1 person.

Bonv
Jan '12

Bonv, you are correct. A lof of us who posted did unfortunately have an honest-to-goodness negative experience. Hopefully the owner won't fall back into that poor customer service rut.

Jules Jules
Jan '12

Been going consistently for the last several months. We always had a delicious meal. No problems with the owner at all. He has excellent cooks and friendly waitresses and waiters. The ambiance is old time America. Many people come sit at the counter and know each other. People can change and the owner has. To those posters who negative experiences last year give the owner another chance. People can change you know. Remember the great classic story A Christmas Carol? Even Scrooge changed. We will be going there for many years. Jolo

joe lounsberry joe lounsberry
Dec '12

Passing by there today and will stop in to give this place another chance.

Firefly Firefly
Dec '12

My wife and I love the General Store. When we moved to Green last year and said we were new to the area, the owner personally delivered our food and told us about his business. I can see where he comes across as a bit...dare I say...gruff, but honestly it never hinders our ability to enjoy our food or the restaurant. The staff has always been friendly and courteous. Their pizza is my favorite around. And from what I've heard you can get a good deal on Christmas trees there too (though we already got one at Tranquility Farms so I'd have to confirm this). Highly recommend.

P.S. - if anyone has lived or grew up in NYC or the surrounding environs...the owner isn't gruff at all...he's totally normal! Ha.

It would have been smart to not bring this posting back up. This topic died a long time ago. But it is wrong to say this post was about one disgruntled customer. I won't go there because he was rude on several occasions. When I was there with my girlfriends we experienced rudeness because we didn't order enough food and we were taking up a table - even though the place was empty. On another occasion, he yelled at my child when he tripped over a box left in the aisle. He is especially rude to the Allamuchy 8th graders who walk up to buy candy. I don't live in NY, so I don't want to be treated that way. He should have let sleeping dogs lie and not mentioned it on the air or said, I am sorry someone felt that way. Please come in and give us a second chance.

observer2 observer2
Dec '12

He is quite rude to the locals as well, meaning the Farmers.

beenthere beenthere
Dec '12

"Please come in and give us a second chance."

Just curious, has anyone actually experienced a business owner doing this?

FF, How did it go today?

Dec '12

I had a sandwich there last week...no complaints.

PREDATOR PREDATOR
Dec '12

Couldn't stop today as I was running late..but I will stop soon.

Firefly Firefly
Dec '12

Bought an apple pie there once. Worst ever.

hector
Dec '12

I did not read all the threads but truthfully (and I may have missed it) has anyone ever confronted him face to face? If he was in my community, Id just tell him he has no right to be rude & if he wants to see me buy from again, he needs to knock it off. If that doesnt do it then to heck with him.

Steve Davis Steve Davis
Dec '12

Personally, I love going there and I love the service. I see the owner all the time and, maybe it's just me, but I feel at home. All it takes is a witty or sarcastic comeback and everything's fine. In this day and age people should be able to take a joke and not get so butt hurt over the smallest of things. Relax, people, there are bigger things to worry and complain about than a guy with a different sense of humor than yourself

JenneC JenneC
Jan '13

Speaking only about the food. I feel it is above average. The food is fresh. The items you order are usually bigger and better than the competition. The chefs have great skills. If I was to order something and it was outdated/stale etc. there is never any issue with them telling me or indicating ahead of time that it may be long in the tooth. They previously never had any problem reimbursing me if something like that did ever happen. Because lets be honest, it does happen everywhere, and in most cases its an honest mistake that someone may get a piece of 2day old bread or something. Usually an oversight in a busy atmosphere. Never a hesitation to replace it though. And honesty has never been a problem from them to me, and for that I am thankful.

Speaking of the service. The people the owner has hired to work the front of store have always been very nice to me. They are constantly checking on the customers there to ensure there meals are to satisfacton. I know it is there job to do just that so thats no stretch. They take on many, many roles in that store. If you take notice they are never sitting around, even on the slowest of days. Constantly cleaning, sorting, stocking, etc...

My opinion, this store and its employees are a welcome sight to me. Whether it is for coffee, or a meal, or whatever.

HeavyGear HeavyGear
Jan '13

I would not go back there. The owner is just the biggest lowlife there is.

The food is subpar at best. Ordered a cheesesteak and it came with plastic inside.

More than 1/2 the time when ordering, you will hear "I'm sorry we are out of that" ....basic things like french fries...onion rings. Call up for a pizza at 6pm on a Friday and getting told "Oh sorry we are out of dough"

I would avoid this place like the plague....

NJFisher NJFisher
Apr '13

Went to AGS for breakfast last week. The food and coffee was very good and service by Im guessing the owner was good also. Its a neat looking place and I will go again.

jerseycash5
Apr '13

I'd like to bring this horrendous establishment back to the forefront. We've always liked the food but the service has always left something to be desired. However, today we had family in for the evening and we decided to place an order for delivery. Some sandwiches, buffalo cheese sticks, and a salad...nothing too profound. We placed the original order at 6pm which came to $43. "Everything" was delivered at around 6:45. When we went through everything, we realized that they forgot to give us the salad and when we tasted the cheese sticks, we found out that they were just regular mozzarella sticks. So we called back and the guy that answered said that they must have forgotten to write down the salad so if we still wanted it he had to charge us. As for buffalo cheese sticks, he ran out of them so apparently he just decided to give us plain mozzarella sticks instead of calling us to let us know. We hung up and went through the menu to add everything up (because the delivery girl never gave us a receipt) and it turns out that they had charged us for the salad during the original order. My wife called back and spoke with a girl who said that they would deliver the salad and a side of marinara sauce. By 8pm we were still waiting so I called back and spoke to the girl, who proceeded to tell me that it would be here shortly. At 8:30 we called back and no one answered, presumably because they were closed at that point. Needless to say, its now 9pm and nothing. The Worst service....the biggest liars...and the last time we ever spend a penny there again.

Annoyed Annoyed
Sep '14

YEAH that happened to us we ordered a few things that costed like $43 got home and a sandwich was missing they said they would make it but we didnt even bother we added up everything and realized we werent charged, the food was decent the pizza was pretty good for the most part but to keep forgetting things isnt good for business

Coffee is terrible. Service is terrible. The owner is terrible.

ihateterriblethings ihateterriblethings
Sep '14

Been there several times for breakfast. Food very good and no problem with the service. Great bfast skillets ! Give it a break everything isn't always %100 including you.

jerseycash5
Sep '14

Good one j.c.five

fitter fitter
Sep '14

HLers have had breakfast there several times and we love the place! We have always had good service and excellent fresh food...

joyful joyful
Sep '14

Definitely have had quite good skillets and good breakfasts there. Service is OK, but it's non obtrusive instead of fall all over you type. Can't speak to calling in, which sounds like they could do better from what was described but don't deserve the label "liar".

As for the JC5/fitter lovefest, I'll pass on commenting until the prenup over all the Rolls are signed and the Civil Union is complete. ;-)

Don't be jealous GC cause Im getting some loving .I agree that the coffee temp was an issue in earlier visits but have you seen all the new coffee machines ? They keep it hot . Food service businesses are not easy to run. There is a lot to contend with. Even some of my fave's screw up on occasion but I don't bash them and continue to go because they satisfy me the majority of the time.

jerseycash5
Sep '14

Everything isn't always 100% - true. Including me - true. However, when I screw something up, I usually try my best to make up for it. What I don't do is promise that I will make up for it and then ignore the situation completely. Just bad business. Again, good food but ownership and service is horrendous.

Annoyed Annoyed
Sep '14

Nov 1 Yea the guy we saw could have been friendlier and with that kind of business you really should be but he had a girl working there and she was nice. The sandwiches were good and they have nice booths in side. They even have a small counter you can sit at. Awesome deserts ! So its worth it to go there for the experience and the food.

Harrison2253 Harrison2253
Nov '15

Just keep putting the place in the dumps....when he closes up...you can then complain your taxes went up to offset the loss...
Go in and confront the fellow about his attitude....I suspect if he is dealing with children ( close to school ) ..he has been hardened by the "entitlement attitudes of most today .

When is the last time you witnessed a child ( or an adult for that matter ) ...ask "how are you" ? , of anyone in the service industry...

Steven Steven
Nov '15

Omg, now we're going to blame the customers? I have been there several times starting back 25 years ago and if it's the same pr**k, I'm shocked they're still in business. What's more shocking is the guy who has the attitude problem is the owner! I'm the nicest customer you could have and he was so blasé and couldn't care less about my order. And to top it off he had thought he was all of that and a bag of chips. Like he was some great guru of the food world. Oh brother.

RAS - It works both ways, trying to Monday morning quarterback someone else's problems too. My experience there has not been the same at all. When some of the HL gang has gone on a Sunday morning he's been a very nice host to us. I like it there and go back when I can.

Hi GC!

I was just reading through some more of the old posts and I see that there was a turnaround of the guys attitude for a while. Can't find the edit button so I'll say that it gives me hope and I may go back and try it again. To be fair the last time I was there was about eight years ago and swore I would never go back. If I go I will post whether good or bad.

We have had very good interraction with the owner. If I call for pizza take out he always knows who I am and how I like the Pizza cooked .... he will answer the phone and say light cheese, cooked extra, etc. erc. When we stop in for something other than a Pizza all goes well. We like the guy!

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Nov '15

Been there twice, will never go back. This is the Yelp review I did on this place:
OK....been here twice & totally not impressed. Maybe I am a Bergen County snob, maybe I expect someone to acknowledge my presence within 15 minutes, maybe I expect to order breakfast sandwiches & for it to be not a hassle - sadly mistaken. The vibe is an old country store with "personalized" service - I am being facetious since the service is not personalized to anyone who is not a regular. The menu is awesome- great descriptions of different kinds of sandwiches but that is when it ends. You sit and wait and wait and wait. Finally someone approaches you after you are ready to leave. I mean, the food was OK but I can't see why the owner spends so much time talking to the regulars when it's evident that you are sitting there waiting forever. So....after two tries I am sorry but I cannot go into this place again and waste so much time.

Cat - former Bergen County resident too! We must really be snobs...lol.

Just Me
Nov '15

I don't understand what the difference is between this place and any other eatery/restaurant that people post their opinion/review (good or bad) on? I'd love to hear your answers.

Just Me
Nov '15

The HL regular breakfast group enjoyed breakfast at the Allamuchy General Store again this morning. As in previous visits, we have been more than happy with our meals and also the service. It is a small, quaint place still but that is what makes it so appealing to me. plus I was able to practice my artwork again on the brown paper tablecloth at our table. Just one suggestion...Need more colors in the crayons.
My portrait of Ms. Fishy just was not that good due to only having a pencil and white crayon to work with. ( I know GC thinks differently about my artistic ability)...

joyful joyful
Nov '15

Joyful: How's the coffee there? What do they offer of note at the General Store for breakfast?

Clarioncall Clarioncall
Nov '15

Clarioncall - I had OJ instead, but the coffee is Dillanos brand that was good enough the others got refills. As for their special breakfast item I would say it's their "skillets". A couple of eggs over top a fried meat and potato mix. I had the "Creole skillet" this morning - salsa, chorizo, potato, and cheese fried together with two eggs over top and toast on the side. Was really good.

As for artists, judge for yourself.

Not fair, GC!!! I'll show you next time when I have better tools to work with! Lol!

joyful joyful
Nov '15

Should I post the previous Allamuchy artwork? Or I seem to remember I might have something done at Leo's too???

Just saying.

Ut Oh!! Better quit while I am ahead!

joyful joyful
Nov '15

The best general store is Stillwater General store they just got a new owner about 7 months ago it's a younger guy about 25 years old the coffee is the bet coffee I have ever had he roast all te coffee at his house rift down the street I suggest everyone go there and try it for ur selfs they also have homemade salads and boars head cold cuts they make great sandwiches

Jimmy Jimmy
Nov '15

I heard the same Jimmy. I also heard that soon he'll have a better variety of meals for takeout. I live very close to the General Store and pass it daily for work. I'm going to have to try that coffee

Nov '15

I have lived in the area for fifteen years and have been there numerous times. I can't believe how the front person in a service business can have such a terrible attitude. I have owned a service business for twenty five years. Your biggest asset is how you treat and react to people. It's not just when you order it's how your food is given to you. If he is a smart owner he would higher a more pleasant counter person and stay behind the scenes. I saw an older post where someone said could be kids or I believe other issues that makes him have his attitude. That's not an excuse when you are in business. He has been that way ever since I have been going there. I agree it has an old school feel. Hopefully someone can take it over and turn it around.

Resident Resident
Nov '15

Wow. This place averages 4.4 out of 5.0 on Yelp reviews, 4.5 on Trip Advisor and 4.6 on Facebook reviews. HL peeps must have AWFULLY high standards.

Hondo Hondo
Nov '15

Why are people going out of their way to bash this guy? If you don't like the service don't go back. It's that simple. If someone were grumpy at McDonald's would go on here to bash that establishment? Some of you need to find better things to do then try to bury a business on a forum.

Metsman Metsman
Nov '15

I wonder why you don't question why so many people have a negative view of the place, or rather the guy who has no clue about customer service? Is it a high standard to want to be acknowledged within say, five minutes when you're the only customer in the place? Good for him that he can stay open and be as rude as he wants but don't expect anyone to sing praises about the establishment. I gather you'd rather no one speak negatively about it but this forum is for sharing views and experiences. Some have shared their positive experiences and that's fine too. But when I read this thread I had an immediate visceral reaction and was like, yeah that happened to me too. We can't all be wrong or just bashing can we?

I also was excited to try a new local spot and at first glance it looked cute, but I would never go there again due to the rude, unwelcoming man behind the counter. As well as the fact that I was the only one in the place and it took forever to get my food and then my order was wrong and he didnt even apologize or correct it. It was also burnt and not at all appetizing. I paid my $9 (for just a salad) that was missing half of the ingredients it was supposed to have and threw it out. It was also their "special salad of the week" Total waste!! Not to mention it was filthy from the counters and tables to the floors, and there were bugs and flys all over the place.

I had a cheese steak and an unsweetened iced tea the last time that I was in. The cheese steak was pretty good. My main gripe was that I asked for a refill and I had to pay for the second glass. Was that just me? I don't think so. None of the people that work there are super friendly in general; although they know me and treat me fine. I think that it's all attitude and vibes that you bring in with you.they get all kinds in there. Give 'em a break!. Got a chip on your shoulder? Most likely, that's what you'll get in return. BTW...when I walk in to a place, I expect to be immediately greeted and seated with a menu with an offer to bring a drink (and quickly). Check back in "5" for my order. "Thank you". Pleasant attitude gets a pleasant tip. Just my thoughts. :D

just the facts maam just the facts maam
Nov '15

I knew the guy when he had a deli in Succasunna going back over 20 years ago. He always had a sarcastic demeanor to him. If you don't get sarcasm then it comes across as rude behavior. So like I said, you don't like it don't go back.

Metsman Metsman
Nov '15

I can see that sarcasm. It takes all kinds. He hurts like everyone else. Give people a break. There are some real mean people out there and some pretty good ones too with hearts of gold.

just the facts maam just the facts maam
Nov '15

My personal thoughts re the "bashing" that is a part of HL. It is sort of done under the guise of being "helpful" by the poster who posts comments similar to, "here's my Opinion on this horrible place, or the horrible unfriendly owner, or the horrible food or the horrible service or the horrible Much too expensive, or the horrible whatever the poster does not like." I don't see the need for this type of post ... I never pay heed to these types of posts and go to places and form my own opinion and keep it to myself ... the reason being people think differently. Anyhow, just my personal thoughts on the bashing that is a part of HL.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Nov '15

Mrs Pipes is 100% correct.

Hot under the collar
Nov '15

I've had numerous sandwiches there over the years. Dean always seems in a rush and would rather to get me in and out the door in record speed. Not to mention asking me multiple times what I want on my sandwich each time, maybe if he just paid attention a slight bit more and cared for what I was getting it might make a difference.

Or the time I went in and was told by the woman (owner's wife) at the counter that they couldn't make sandwiches because the owner wasn't there.

Or the time I went in and the lady (not owner's wife) was out making a delivery and no one else was out front at the counter to help me until she got back.

The food is good, I've never had "bad food" per say. Just bad experiences.

Yelp Me! Yelp Me!
Nov '15

I very rarely go on this site because i have a lot more going on in my life. The only reason I commented is because I had a viable reason to. I drive 60,000 miles a year and am in many food/deli establishments. This store is the worse as far as attitude by the owner I have ever seen. You are right "don't go back in", also he is the only game in town mentality is sad. It will only effect his business in the long run. Either way good for those who need to go there!

Resident Resident
Nov '15

A few of us HLers enjoyed breakfast this morning at Allamuchy General Store. We have never been disappointed with our dining experience there in the past but this morning it was even better than ever. Even down to fresh squeezed orange juice and homemade bagels. The salads and other items in the showcase as we checked out all looked delicious. We most definitely will be returning there again soon.

Joyful Joyful
Jul '16

A spur of the moment Sunday HL breakfast gathering at Allamuchy General Store this morning. It was great as usual with something new added.,,,a nice selection of gourmet coffees and teas to choose from and special Fall flavors for homemade ice cream. Also selling Christmas trees,. We enjoyed our skillet breakfasts that were as good as they always are. Always good to see GC's Mom again too...

Joyful Joyful
Nov '16

We have had burgers, cajun fries ,and dessert delivered many times. They are very good and Dean offers a lot of varriations.
He also has some very good wraps on the menu.
We have always found him friendly and a wealth of information,as to what is going on in the area.
In the past Christmas season I have ordered very good desserts from his German baker.
We wish Allamuchy General Store a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Susan C Susan C
Nov '16

My wife and I travel almost 45mi. to get to the AGS. The breakfast is out of this world great! Lunch equally so.
And for the life of me, it seems as if all these people blasting Dean, are talking about someone I've never talked to there. My wife Sue and I always look forward to some friendly banter with him. If anything, HE'S part of the reason we'll take a 90 mile round trip for some grub!!!
I just saw a pic of a truck planted in the front of the AGS, and I'm hoping it's an old pic or Photoshop from some disgruntled putz!

Chris Wyckoff Chris Wyckoff
Jan '17

I'm afraid it is real Chris. See the AGS accident thread.

the food is good but unless they know you there, you are ignored for a long time - like 15 minutes before anyone approaches you to take your order. Happened several time so I never went back.

When I go into a business establishment (whatever type business it may be) and there is nobody visible to acknowledge my presence I will call out "Hello?" It works. It's very possible that a person is busy in the back of the business and is Not aware somebody is waiting to be helped.

MrsPipes MrsPipes
Jan '17

No that is not the case - they saw us, told us to sit, and then no one showed up for a long time - on more than one occasion. They were busy chatting it up w/people at the counter and had no sense at all about customer service.

don't like the guy - self serving - so I don't patronize him
he made several attempts to gain favors from the town only to benefit himself

slugbuster slugbuster
Jan '17

Unsanitary conditions here. Poor attitude by owner. Do not waste your money here.

Martin Respeo Martin Respeo
Nov '17

We have had good experiences each time we visited Allamuchy General Store, good food and good service.

Right now they are closed for repair because a vehicle hit the building and haven't been open for some time. Not sure how someone can be commenting, unless it's about a past visit.

hktownie hktownie
Nov '17

Wasn't that accident a year ago or so?

Bug3
Nov '17

I didn't realize they were still closed. The damage happened in January then they announced the reopening in April. Perhaps they will not reopen after all. Too bad.

That is a bit odd to see a comment made about a place that has been closed for so long.

Greg, it is a bit odd but, then, I guess you take from where it's coming (a bit odd.) We are hoping Allamucy General Store will reopen. We liked the food, and we liked the friendly owner. AGS is local and that's good too!

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Nov '17

I may have misunderstood, as I was at a party last night so had a few drinks and it was noisy- but I believe I overheard something about a heart attack just having occurred.

Their facebook page has an entry from August 30th that says there are insurance delays. But then if you google the place, it says permanently closed.

Metsman Metsman
Nov '17

I drive by it often...they are working on it still.

HLamusesme HLamusesme
Nov '17

from yelp entry: Allamuchy General Store Cafe is temporarily closed. Scheduled to reopen on December 10, 2017.

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '17

Owner is super rude. Pizza is terrible. I wouldn't go in here if it was the only place open in a 50 miles radius.

Pv resident13 Pv resident13
Nov '17

I agree he has no idea how to run a business and even worse customer service. I personally had to call the board of health on him which they did investigate. Sad just don't be in business if you don't have what it takes

Emosewa Emosewa
Nov '17

The store will open in March 2018 work still going on.

Rosemary Tuohy Rosemary Tuohy
Nov '17

Good to hear.

Sure is taking a long time to repair though. A few years back, Pub 199 burned to the ground on January 11 2013. They were fully rebuilt and open for business May 22, 2013. Amazing only 133 days closed. That's how you get it done!

So two things, first Pub 199 had a fire they had to deal with only their insurance company. The General Store was hit by a Semi-truck they are dealing with a third party insurance company the truck drivers insurance company, you are comparing apples to oranges. Secondly we have been patronizing the General Store for years , the food is delicious, the owner has always been nothing but friendly and personable and whenever we go there he has a full house. Plus he’s been their for like 18 years. Your not in business that long with a regular fullf house if you don’t “have what it takes”

Happy man Happy man
Nov '17

I'm not sure I buy the insurance issue entirely. The damage was not that severe to necessitate such a long complex, difficult claim and repair regardless of who is responsible for the paying claim. It's almost 11 months now. If they are using the accident to take advantage of the closure and are conducting a major renovation then that seems plausible.

I have dealt with insurance companies on the commercial side with very large claims involving several parties and have not had such a protracted experience.

Hopefully they get it complete and open for business again. It appears they have a following and provide a needed service in that area.

Owner is rude to those who are not regulars. Will try it if it ever reopens.

Lucacell Lucacell
Nov '17

The owner is not rude and the customer service is always good along with the food!!

Michael Michael
Nov '17

I was there once. Not the best customer service, but the food was very good. Probably will go again after it reopens.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Nov '17

I paid cash for a sandwich one time & the owner gave me back the change by licking his fingers as he gave me the dollar bills. He also handles food & that is disgusting combined with the fact that the few times I sat to eat in there they would ignore our table for a good 15 minutes while he chatted up with the regulars. Food was good but service is not.

We were not what you would call "regulars" at the Allamuchy General Store. We never found the owner rude; he may have been busy in the kitchen and we may have not had "Instant attention", but he was never rude. The food we ordered was Always good.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Nov '17

Ditto Mrs. Pipes

Not a regular, but stopped by now and then - Never had a rude encounter, always found the owner and servers to be nice and also attentive - friendly, and good food!

rleaf rleaf
Nov '17

Being in business for a long time you should learn how to act and handle situations. Besides being rude and lack of knowing the service business the place and or the owner is unsanitary. When the owner was making my kids subs he was slicing the cold cuts placing them on the sandwiches and putting some slices into his mouth. When I saw it I thought I was on candid camera so I waited another minute and he did it again. I said excuse me but you are eating food with your hands while making sandwiches. His smug response yeah but I have gloves on. I stated gloves or not your hands are touching my food and your mouth. Are you kidding me? When I said keep the food and I am going to report this he said go ahead who cares. Very bad way to handle a situation and unsafe way to prepare food for people. If he had any disease or even just a cold and I didn't see the process my kids would have eaten possibly contaminated sandwiches. Be warned with anything you have or will eat there if it ever reopens

Emosewa Emosewa
Nov '17

I also went in here a while back and the person was so rude and burned the pizza. I have gotten into the habit of checking the pizza because I have been given the wrong one before. When I checked, the bottom was black. I had already paid and asked nicely if he could make another because this was burnt. He said thats what you ordered. I was so stunned I left there. I thought maybe he was just having a bad day and decided to go in another time a few weeks later. Same arrogant attitude. This time I had not paid and left the pizza on the counter and left while he was ranting to me about paying.
That was about a year ago. I don't care if it was the last place on earth. They are still in business because they are the only one around there and people put up with him so they don't have to drive far. The problem is he knows they still come no matter how he treats them. But what he doesn't realize are all the ones he lost. My VITE stay away!! Terrible food, terrible service.

Carol Carol
Nov '17

So sorry Emosewa and Carol ... I don't know you .... and I don't believe your comments are really accurate. Just fyi: I do not personally "know" the owner of the Allamuchy General Store. It is strange the difference of opinions throughout this thread. Quite a few folks who posted on this thread really Do like the following: The Owner and The Food. Strange, the difference of opinions, but this is Hackettstownlife afterall. Hmmm.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Nov '17

My good friend who is a very upbeat person had a very negative experience as well.

How could so many people who've had a negative experience be wrong or be inaccurate?

I Highly doubt that all of these people are making this stuff up.

positive positive
Nov '17

Mrs Pipes, I have no reason to fabricate anything against any busy ecspecially since I have been in small business for over 20 years. That's exactly what happened and I called the board of health. They sent a person from their office to investigate. I had the board of health confirm they were there and have an email stating all of the facts. The owner admitted it and stated he lost a good customer. So in the future don't assume someones facts are not accurate.

Emosewa Emosewa
Nov '17

+1 emosewa

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Nov '17

I worked there as a server not too long ago. The owner was stealing the tips left for me !! He did this right in front of me replying I cooked their food. I was appalled. I left there without looking back. Will never step foot in there again

briana briana
Jan '18

+1 positive.

I think everyone wants it to be clean, tidy, and polite. It just does not seem to be the case.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Jan '18

The owner is a lot nicer than he might appear at first. He is direct and genuine - I like him. He even sat at the table with me for a short chat.
I had a nice burger and great fries, and every other customer seemed to walk out with extra cake and cookies.

Lydia Lydia
Feb '19

went in there for the first today and both the owner and the other manager took very good care of me !! constantly checking in and making good conversation too. everything was clean and nice. reasonably priced as well. i had a lovely experience.

rylie
Mar '19

Rylie - did the menu have prices on it?

Luca(cell) Luca(cell)
Mar '19

I have been there a few times , and found the food to be hit and miss! The store seemed clean, but never busy , so I would question the freshness? Pricing should be on the menu !

Robert Robert
Mar '19

Is there a menu posted online?

I have no idea what everyone is talking about with the bad reviews. This is by far my favorite breakfast place in town. The owner Dean is always so welcoming and friendly and the staff is sooo nice. The food is FANTASTIC and I go there all the time.

Breakfast lover Breakfast lover
Mar '19

Even a broken clock is right twice a day !

Robert Robert
Mar '19

online menu with prices is from years ago

4catmom 4catmom
Mar '19

I'm amazed at how many people don't care that there were no prices on the menu. Are there prices on their menu now? There are a ton of good reviews on line regarding how good the food is, so maybe I'm in the minority of wanting to know how much things are before I buy them, and I don't want to ask each time.

I am with you, Rich and so are a lot of our friends. Just cannot understand the reasoning here at all...

joyful joyful
Mar '19

8 years on HL and the jury's still out..........hmmm.

Doctor
Mar '19

When I go out to eat, I generally order what I feel like eating, not by menu pricing...so for me, no big deal...I've gotten disappointing food from there on a couple occasions, so won't go there based on that.

Local chef
Mar '19

Anyone know if they started making pizza again yet?

itiswhatitis
Mar '19

For a restaurant that was in business for years before the truck accident, why now do they choose to not post prices on the menu? Seems shady to not post prices. Am I supposed to hope that what is charged for each menu item is the same for everyone else who orders it or does the owner choose whatever price he wants depending on his mood??

Yes, the food has been good when I went but it's a turn off to not display prices so for that reason, I choose to not go there ever again. Plenty of other local places in town that I choose to spend my $ on.

I agree, Luca...

joyful joyful
Mar '19

we went this past weekend, the inside is cute - but I was not all that impressed... I also did not like that they did not have prices on their menu.. 2 breakfast meals, 2 coffees and some bacon was $40.00. OVERPRICED for breakfast! We also waited over an hour for our food and when we arrived there were only two other customers there.

lavender lavender
Mar '19

$40? Sounds like what they would charge at a captive audience location...

Lavender: I just check my post under the Thread on HL: Allamuchy General Store Accident 1/10 in which my husband and I on July 18th (not quite a year ago) had breakfast that morning there( no prices on the menu then but we overlooked it thinking they were newly reopened and did not have a chance to do that yet) Looks like things have not changed much at all in almost a year.. From what you are saying you paid $40 for breakfast and we paid $30 ( which I thought then was overpriced for what we had for breakfast and did not realize until after we got outside and looked at our credit card bill what we were charged. We also left a $5 tip on the table that day.

joyful joyful
Mar '19

no prices on the menus clearly means the meals cost 1 price for regulars and another price for nonregulars. I'll pass as i don't feel like going there enough times to get the friends and family discount price.

move already move already
Mar '19

If the prices of bacon or cheese (or whatever) "go up"; then he can charge the customer accordingly. Does anyone ever ask for an itemized reciept when paying? Go back at a later date and ask for the same thing and see if the totals match.

Angela Angela
Mar '19

"Seems shady to not post prices."

It does not seem shady, it is shady. Plenty of places to eat in N.J , look around, no shortage of food here.

Buyer beware. Or walk in with 8.00 and ask what you can get. When you end up in court for not paying, a judge can ask them why the prices are not posted, and if you state that you had a verbal agreement on price. That will give the local paper something to write about.

callitlikeIseeit callitlikeIseeit
Mar '19

Angela..If I recall when we got our receipt that day from our waitress...all that was on it was what we ordered..I asked her then how much this was (as I said that was their grand opening and they were super busy) and she said she did not know but to take that to the owner and he would ring it up for us. Which is what we did.

joyful joyful
Mar '19

No shirt. No sit.

No prices. No pay.

Not even gonna give it a try.

StrangerDanger StrangerDanger
Mar '19

"I need an itemized bill for tax purposes with prices. I travel and I hand these to my accountant at the end of the year". If he can not oblige; then politely tell him that you need to go elsewhere. Joyful; I know that you and hubby can not do this at this point. It's a big world out there. I would not be wasting my time with the Allamuchy General Store. How is Stella G's these days?

Angela Angela
Mar '19

I know what you are saying, Angela and so agree. Stella G's is always good even with the new management. We do eat out frequently and you are right....there are a lot of other places in the Hackettstown area now that are just as good if not better...with prices on their menus so these are the places we will be dining at in the future..

joyful joyful
Mar '19

Harsh, harsh, harsh....the food is excellent, the service is excellent, the place is spotless and yes they re-opened and have not posted prices yet. The fact is the whole experience is well worth the price....Would you all be happy if the prices were posted and the food was crappy?! I think not! They overcame a huge undertaking after an accident destroyed a long owned family business that was the favorite spot for many...Amazed how judgmental people are! That's whats wrong with our country today! Get a grip and start fighting for much more important issues!

Angel Angel
Mar '19

I'm wondering why it's so difficult to post prices?

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '19

If you have to ask the price..then you can't afford it

Bug3
Mar '19

LOL, so true Bug3.

It's still weird for a small restaurant in the middle of nowhere to do that though.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '19

Does the owners eyes light up when you pay cash?

Bug3
Mar '19

So wanting to know prices is asking for too much? I will keep that in mind the next time I go food, clothes and car shopping.

Oh the entitlement mentality of people.....

Positive Positive
Mar '19

Really Angel???????? You must be a regular who pays the special price for regulars which is why you don't care about prices on the menu........

Excellent service? Gee, every time I went in there I had to wait forever for someone to approach our table or bring menu's.

In addition to Stella G.'s, Main Street Cafe does a good job with breakfast with good service & reasonable prices.

Gee I don’t know every Sunday when I go in they are packed with a wait of 10-30 minutes... their reviews on all social media sites(google, Facebook, yelp, trip,advisor) are beyond great. There even was an article “the top 50 places to eat in NJ in 2018”and they were #33. The only restaurant named in northwest NJ on the list. So are we to conclude that all of you on this site are cheap, lonely unhappy people. Based upon other threads on this site it appears so, almost all threads turn into an angry rant. You all are pathetic. Don’t go there, it appears to me that they don’t need your business since they are always packed with a wait.

Happy in life Happy in life
Mar '19

Forty bucks for two, for breakfast way to much..what could you have ordered to be 20.00 a person..ok so coffee $2.00 and what else..Eggs benedict with homefries go for 8 to 10 dollars.. A so called hot shore spot breakfast specials run under Ten dollars.. The surrroundings at Allamuchy are not note worthy to be charged for the experience. In a Family business my entire life, I would never order from a menu without prices. I can not see why more people don't question the servers..Would think that would drive the servers crazy repeating the same thing..OR to say :take it up to register, he will give you amount.."....No way.

Smile every day Smile every day
Mar '19

Not putting prices on a menu is not, in of itself, shady...at all. And it's not burdensome to ask how much something costs before ordering...I know that having prices on menus isn't difficult to do either, but not listing prices is a growing trend...but more so in cities and at fine dining establishments, not so much at mediocre at best, run of the mill establishments. And a lot of the places not posting prices are thriving...I guess as long as the food and service is meets/exceeds expectations, there's not much of a loss patrons.

The biggest issues with the place(at least what was the biggest issue, since I've not been there since they reopened) are the owner and the food. So long as it's the same owner, even if the place has had new life breathed into it since reopening, the place will surely fall back into it's former MO of serving not so fresh, poorly cooked food.

Local chef
Mar '19

I understand that many fine dining establishments in NYC don’t list prices (which I’ve no desire to spend lots of money for Picasso on my plate), we are talking about a country general store in a small town.

Positive Positive
Mar '19

Allamuchy Liquors to open Café?

Doctor
Mar '19

"we are talking about a country general store in a small town."

Yes, of that I am aware...it's really no big deal either way, and if that's how someone chooses to operate their business, that's how it is. Again, people can always ask what items cost. Or just not go, if that's ultimately a deal breaker for them.

I don't go there based on food I've gotten there before(years ago)...and the fact that the guy posts job ads making the Allamuchy general store seem like a serious career stepping stone for aspiring culinary professionals, lol...

Local chef
Mar '19

Just don't go there! Your putting lipstick on a pig!

Robert Robert
Mar '19

I'm getting the impression that Happy for Life likely owns the place, or the old curmudgeon is his/her uncle, or they have some kind of personal stake in the joint because he/she is awfully butt-hurt about what folks in this thread are saying about the highway robbery going on over there.

We don't bother going to Allamuchy at all so we won't be screwed over by that place in this lifetime, but we do occasionally stop at the Schooley's Mountain General Store for a small to-go meal (egg/bacon/cheese sandwich for hubby, buttered hard roll for myself) and a cup of coffee for both of us. In warm weather, we love sitting out at the table on the front porch while we eat. Crazily enough, the prices for what we order are actually printed where we can see them and know what we're going to pay. Sounds insane, right?

Ain't NO little mom and pop country store going to spin the money wheel to decide what we're paying for a breakfast we can literally get anywhere else. Nope, not happenin'.

Cathy R Cathy R
Mar '19

No price, no pay. Away I stay, I say. What reason is there no to list a price except to be able to change the price at will? Certainly not to create atmosphere. Not in this place.

I have never heard of something so stupid. Just put a white board up...…

I think everyone should go in, grab a menu, call the waitress over and ask for a price. Wait two minutes, ask the waitress for another price. And so on, and so on. Bring your own pen and write the price on the menu......

I bet they don't know the prices either...…

Wonder who gets charged the premium price? Professionals? the UnWhite? Youngsters? Oldsters?

Used to work for a caterer who charged liquor by the bottle for the parties. As the party got rolling, suddenly a box of empty bottles would appear behind me at the bar...… Boy, there were a few dust-ups over that maneuver. For tips, we had a hat at the coat check. Amazingly, always had a $20, a $10, two $5''s, lots of $1's and hardly any change...… Amazing that constant was, it was.

There are many ways to hide a price.....Not printing it is the stupidest. Apparently, in this case, after a year, you just can't fix stupid. So the frequents know the prices; the in-frequents don't. Gee, I wonder what the point is.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Mar '19

We may never know what the point is, strangerdanger...and right now, "Frankly Scarlett...I don't CARE!! ( I bet you thought I was going to say something else!!!)..

joyful joyful
Mar '19

Maybe a lawsuit would wake him up

https://www.courierpostonline.com/story/news/local/south-jersey/2017/10/04/supreme-court-tgi-fridays-menu-beverage-price/730783001/

Bug3
Mar '19

The price should be variable, a percentage of your 1040. You own a Lexus, you pay more. a Kia, you pay less.
The same thing with tickets. A 200.00 speeding ticket does not affect a millionaire the same as it does a guy making 30k. They do this in Finland.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/03/finland-home-of-the-103000-speeding-ticket/387484/

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Mar '19

Finland.... now that's who I want be like. I'll be moving there soon.

Doctor
Mar '19

'I called today to order some food to pick up. First call I was hung up on. Second call I tried to order some simple stuff as I had no menu. Looked at website and Facebook page and couldn't find one. My husband got ham egg cheese on a bagel. It came on a roll. Tried to order Reubens. They were made with turkey. Fine I can do that. Only they were made open face with turkey melted cheese and that's it. Ok, once again I can deal. I ask about why make a Reuben without pastrami? Just don't make it then. I was told it's too messy to slice. Whatever. When I came to pick up the sandwiches I asked for a menu I said I would like to order things over the phone but I have no menu. I looked up on the board nothing written showing what to choose from. How am I supposed to know how much things cost or what I could possibly have if I have to just "wing it" as I was told we don't have a menu. But the people at the tables had a menu. The owner was rude and sarcastic and I will never go in there again. Be the trendy little place you were trying to be but when you offend the people who live in your backyard what comes around goes around. I am a local and will never step in there again."

Daizy Daizy
Sep '19

Not surprised - the place is not managed well if they can't even do something simple like print out take out menu's or update their website with information. I have witnessed the owner's attitude as well hence the reason I will not step foot in there ever again.

I've never been there but every time I drive by it looks packed. I guess some people are getting great service?

Sep '19

I always wonder how the owner isn't aware of this thread - and why for the love of Pete he doesn't come on and defend the business or say something - anything.

Everything negative you hear can be corrected, but doesn't seem to ever be. Go figure. I don't get it.

DogDayAfternoon
Sep '19

Lori- volume != great service.

Volume of people simply means 1/2 of said volume are below average.

What is the seating capacity? What is the population in the area?

Sheer numbers play in their favor?

Factor in the concept / reality that 50% percentile is waay way way below 100, 90, 80...

Why go anywhere, do anything, or support something that literally (and being fair) the upper 20-30% of the intelligence would find fault with and not do?

Honestly- (literally)- I see things done every day- and think, not only is someone doing something wrong- but society lets this become new normal, acceptable, and slides further down hill.

If everyone held themselves and others to higher standards the rising tide would lift all boats.

Only meant as better personal behavior. Not to be confused with a pork barrel or any forcible theft of money from those that work to those that don't.

In fact- if those in the higher incomes stopped lining their own pockets needlessly, and the lower incomes held themselves to the same work ethic the problems would be much less.

Any boats with holes can sink- and no, I don't have a problem with that.

To say because they are packed there must be no problems or room for improvement is absurd.

I'd say 90%+ of restaurants I go to having readily identifiable faults, some more egregious than others, but still- if they were pressed on the matters by everyone that noticed - the problems would be remedied & cease. But most all restaurants (bars) are packed despite due to those that are oblivious.

Literally the world & society continues to devolve because the majority either doesn't realize, or is told to 'relax', 'let it go', 'it doesn't matter'....

Josh, I need a white board to follow your logic... kidding...

If you want to look crowded, have a small lot.

This guy is not neutral, rubs a lot of people the wrong way, as does his mgt. and mkt. “style.” Apparently he is an acquired taste that a number of folks enjoy or tolerate. Gee, I get that :-). And he is the only game in town distance wise. His business is fine for him.

Thanks to HL, we have a heads up and if we are surprised; think that’s on us at the point. Unless someone says “OMG, it’s like a whole new place,” I’m guessing the post will not change from what we’ve seen over the years. Try it, you might enjoy. If not, walk early.

Sep '19

I love it there. Moved to Panther Valley a few months ago from the other end of town. Always knew it was there but never went in. Owner talked with us a while and gave the history of the place. Loved the menu and the food was top notch. Second time we waited forever to get our drinks but it wasn’t a big deal. The food was just as great as the first time.

Nicholas
Sep '19

Hmm, seems like a lot of people on here had a negative experience. That's too bad. We ate here on Saturday. Great food, fun experience. The fellow was an interesting character. Nice guy though. All part of a wonderful New Jersey experience!

I wonder if the competition is on here throwing shade? 4.5 stars on Yelp and Google.

RB- Yelp and Google reviews are easily (and routinely) manipulated.

Very True, Josh. I see that on Facebook, too. When you check the five star 'reviews', a lot of times you see the person or business is family or friends with them on Facebook. I noticed RB said they ate 'here' instead of we ate 'there'. Seems weird. Owner?

DogDayAfternoon
Oct '19

RB are you kidding? Not everyone has a pleasant experience at this place. I have tried it several times & while the food is good, there are a lot of other things that are not good which I have described in earlier posts.

Think RB may be a one-hit wonder. Wonder what team they play for?

Oct '19

So the thought process is that anyone that has had a good experience with this place is either friends or family? I've had a very decent experience recently (food was great, service was good) and if you think I even remotely know the owner or this place, you're mistaken.

Rob Durana Rob Durana
Oct '19

I’ve read the reviews and frankly disagree completely. The owner, Dean, is quite a character, and may seem a bit gruff, but he really is a nice fellow. We are semi-regulars, and love their breakfasts. My wife loves their more exotic sandwiches and breakfasts, but their maple-walnut pancakes, and creme brûlée crepes are to die for! Service is a little slow when busy, because there is typically one cook and everything is fresh and made to order. All kinds of different coffee, changing constantly. Relax and just enjoy the food!

Frank S. Frank S.
Apr '21

The owner does it right...no bs and GREAT food. Some people just don't get it and never will. He IS a character! I get it, and I love it! Play along with him and have fun!

Itiswhatitis
Apr '21

So the old crab is still there

Bug3
Apr '21

When I go into a store, especially a place for food (more over to eat), the LAST thing people need is having to deal with a "character" [defined by a number of people in the forum make it NOT a positive one].

And even if amused or taken positive by others, in a BUSINESS ESTABLISHMENT (not a comedy joint), "characters" are those who keep negative responses that decrease business/profits since 2011 when this topic started and kept it advising others.

I’m amused but also a bit befuddled that this thread is now a decade old and this “character” is still in business and still so gruff. I agree with JML on this. When you go in for a newspaper and a bacon egg and cheese the last thing you want is even the slightest hint of confrontational or agitating behavior from the owner. Just give me my damn sandwich. Hold the attitude.

From the outside looking in, it seems to me this is a clear example of the lack of competition in the immediate area. I can’t imagine if there was a competing general store across the street that treats its customers like...well...customers, that this guy wouldn’t be out of business within a years time. I smell a business opportunity :-)

Consigliere
Apr '21

No need for him to change LOL bunch of crybabies 'he wasn't nice to me' LOL we have it to good in the usa baby. Goto mattars if you want loads of coddling LOL. would love to see you crybabies goto some of the fantastic (and there are MANY) eat 'and run places' that exist in the belleville Newark bloomfield etc area. They'd eat all YOU for lunch. That general store kicks a$$ he doesn't need to change for all you pansies! GOOD FOR HIM...lighten up and 'play with him' LOL...OK honestly I haven't been there in many many months unfortunately, is he doing pizza yet? It was great pizza! Cooked on the screens, guy knows what he's doin'!

Itiswhatitis
Apr '21

Personally, I get agitated when i get complaints while cooking a big Sunday breakfast for my own 3 whining "customers",. but, then again, I'm not financially dependent on them... so they can eat it. Or not.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '21

Does he have menus with prices yet?

Bug3
Apr '21

Is the Allamuchy General Store closed ?

Is the store still open?
Heard it was closed till further notice.

Facebook shows that the owner had had a medical emergency & they are closed indefinitely.

Check out their Facebook page. They are closed, indefinitely for the foreseeable future. Dean, the owner had to close for personal medical reasons.

Local Gal Local Gal
Jun '21

Sorry to hear this news.

The good news is the negative aura around the place has been *temporarily* lifted.

That could, even reopened with much of the same, may change things to a new positive one.

aol123@aol.com aol123@aol.com
Jun '21

AOL123, that's a pretty negative and unnecessary thing to say when they have a medical emergency. Seems pretty callous to say that at a time like that, no matter how you felt about them/him, etc.

DogDayAfternoon
Jun '21

Yea lets kick the guy while he's down... geez...

Metsman Metsman
Jun '21

Some people are just plain Mean whether they know a person or not. It's very sad. Whatever the medical problem, I hope he gets well and reopens his little General Store. Go someplace else if you don't like the "character" or open your own place and deal with the public in your own kind and gentle way.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Jun '21

Ditto Mrs.Pipes

Well, there's definitely a lesson here, whichever side of the fence you're one. And that's this: if you want people to speak well of you, treat them well.

LibertarianismRules LibertarianismRules
Jun '21

He has been in business a looong time..He must be doing something right

Bug3
Jun '21

from a post in Nextdoor:
Just an update. Dean had Covid that turned critical and he needed to be hospitalized. He was in the hospital for several weeks and then suffered a heart attack while in the rehabilitation center. He is with family now and has a lengthy recovery ahead but sounded well when we spoke. The store will be closed indefinitely for now. No reopening date.

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '21

So sad, hope he recovers well and quickly!!

MansfieldVillager MansfieldVillager
Jun '21

Prayers for Dean and his Family

Hotdogchili Hotdogchili
Jun '21

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.