Problem with furniture from Hackettstown Trading Post

Problem with furniture from Hackettstown Trading Post

Looking for suggestions, purchased a couch and love seat from the Hackettstown Trading Post during their "retirement sale". Told the sales woman "Deb", that I was looking for pet friendly material, that I have 5 cats and a dog. I told her I was interested in microfiber, that I knew of a few people that had microfiber and it was pretty good with pets. She showed me a few sofa's and we came upon one that resembled leather. She said this was microfiber, I was surprised that this type of material was microfiber and agreed to purchase it. Waited almost 6 weeks for delivery. After 2 weeks I noticed that I had holes in the sides of the couch where my cats climbed up the back and side. The material was punctured. I tried to keep the cats away by putting double sided tape on the couch. Turns out that this microfiber has a polyurethane treatment which makes it similar to a plastic coating. When the tape is removed it takes the top layer of the material with it and leaves marks. also the middle cushion on the couch sunk and broke on the 3rd week. I contacted trading post and they are not cooperating at all. After over 30 days of calling, stopping by and being patient they will not even try to negotiate any type of restitution or returns. They are willing to fix the broken middle cushion and that is all. I accept responsibility for the tape damage, but adamant that I would not have put the tape on if the material was just a microfiber and not coated. I relied on the sales rep and feel the store should be more willing to work with me. My last call ended with me saying I would get a lawyer. Anyone have any suggestions as to a better way to get some help. I have attached a picture. Let me know what you think.

jcarfano jcarfano
Sep '11

What is the brand of the items you purchased? I ask because I believe, based on current TP commercials on WRNJ, the Berkline brand was being retired. My first thought is that you purchased Berkline, and the TP does not have any recourse to get a credit from the company because it no longer exists. Anything they give you will be out of pocket, and they seem unwilling to give an inch based on what you said.

I would continue to do more of what you are doing - shouting your issue to anyone who will listen. You may not have legal recourse, but ti does not hurt to contact a lawyer and explain the story to him/her.

Good luck.

That material does not look like microfiber to me. Buyer beware. I think you have little recourse.

Firefly Firefly
Sep '11

We were going to buy from Trading Post, but based on this post, I think we will look elsewear. I don't need problems from an un cooperative furniture store. Thanks for the info. Maybe more business should take into consideration that the net can make you or break you. You just lost a few thousand in sales...

boobalaa boobalaa
Sep '11

No material can withstand an animal. If you find it patent it and become rich.

Christine Christine
Sep '11

OMG! Any chance your couch and love seat are recliners? I think I purchased the exact same couch! Was told it was Microfiber too! And the BIG thing in common is my middle cushion collapsed too. I have been emailing with the for over a month. I had plans to go to the store this weekend.

The couch I have is actually Klaussner furniture, which I believe is different from Berkline.

jcarfano please private message me so we can chat more.

townie70 townie70
Sep '11

OMG...Heres my two cents worth: First, I have animals, inside dogs, inside cats, inside birds, horses (kept outside ) and a teenager (who has friends over) living at my home... sharing the same living room set I bought NEW from The Hackettstown Trading Post 6 years ago... Since I have trained the dog that the couch is off limits to him, he stays down... the cats (I have found them on the couch) haven't "destroyed anything" ...my son is well trained as his friends and nothing is broken, sagging or worn on my set of recliner furniture. (Tag still on the back says BERKLINE). The loveseat (both sides recline), the couch, 3 sections, 2 recline and a swival rocker recliner chair all still look and ack brand new. Not only have I purchased the living room set, complete with coffee table and end tables, I have gone back and bought my bedroom set, one for my son too...a dining room set and appliances. They are the only people I will deal with. 2 Years ago I had a problem with a side by side fridge...I went back and got a french door fancier model and they gave me a discount... I can't say one bad word about the way they do business. Honest, reliable and a great place to shop... oh, and a tv and DVD player...
I think you should keep your tape off the furniture and train the animals using the furniture. Just sayin'.

NiftyFifty NiftyFifty
Sep '11

Thats definitely NOT microfiber. Looks like leather to me. I have microfiber and its nothing like that. Think you have been "taken". Would never buy from HTP anyway. Rude people.

We were at the Trading Post in the beginning of the summer as they were having this "retirement" sale. That same sales lady "Deb" tried to get us to buy the same microfiber sofa and couch with two end tables and a coffee table. She quoted a price and when I asked her If I could go home and come back with the exact measurements she stated that I should make a deposit now. I said ok and she gave me a slip to go pay. As I was walking around, I thought to myself...wow...she was really pushy and rude in the end...trying desperately trying to get the commission on the sale of the furniture. I go up to pay and ask if any money I pay is refundable if I see the measurements are not accurate or if I change my mind and the lady at the window said no. I then said ok..be right back. I got my wife and got out of there..SCAM! Be weary of this place. We took all the paper work and threw it out when we got home.

Same day go to Jennifer Convertibles in Bridgewater, NJ. Buy a love seat, sofa, couch, ottoman, two end tables, and a coffee table for 1800.00 cheaper and it's REAL Leather....and free delivery. Needless to say...we are SOOO Glad We did not buy at Hackettstown Trading Post and Never will go back there!

So let me see if I have this right.... A local business sold you a couch..... By manufacturer defect the middle cousin collapsed OK they agreed to fix that.... Your cats put holes in the couch you applied a harmful adhesive to furniture without testing it in an inconspicuous area first.... They do not want to pay for damage that is a direct result of your animals abuse and your lack of interest in trying the tape in a area that is not seen.........

Seems like they are being perfectly reasonable.......

Your cats ruined it not them they are willing to fix the cushion which they should........

You put the tape on it its your responsibility to get it fixed why should they pay for your mistake?

DD spilled juice in the back seat of my SUV I guess I should call Chevy and expect them to pay for the damage my daughter did ?

Better yet I backed future Dh's truck into the basketball hoop and put a small scratch on the bumper maybe Chevy should pay for that too?

My new kitten scratches all my furniture guess I should contact Hackettstown PAL and have them pay for that.....

See how ridiculous all that sounds now re read what you wrote.... Move on its your responsibility and fault not HTP's !

shoebie shoebie
Sep '11

There is no pet safe fiber. The woman probably wanted to make a sale and lied to you or she is just plain ignorant. I had a lady at Suburban that clearly lied to me that a piece was solid pine when the only part on it that was solid was the doors the rest was particle board with a faux pine veneer. Luckily I knew what I was looking at. In the end it revealed that the woman was not knowledgable in what she was selling. I am sure that was the case for you too. I bought a set from HTP many years ago. I mentioned I would like a more durable fabric. The one they suggested was not microfiber but was more like a thick cotton. The cats will scratch anything. The picture looks like faux leather. The cushion damage is one thing but as far as the tape and the scratches that is your doing. Contact the tape company if they claim the tape will not damage.

youngfresh youngfresh
Sep '11

I have pets, and a soon-to-be-teen who likes to have friends over, therefore we went with microfiber. Our furniture no longer looks perfect, but it is nowhere neer destroyed. I'm curious, though this saleswoman SAID that it was microfiber, didn't you take a good look at it? Feel it? From the picture it actually looks like 'pleather', and from the picture, I can tell that it would not hold up to any sort of abuse. Do I think that the saleswoman was wrong to push you towards this when she knew what you really wanted? Yes. But again, after seeing it, feeling, etc, you went ahead and bought it. Shame on you. I'm sorry this happened to you, but we really have to look out for ourselves. Personally, I will never buy from HTP, due to personal experiences 'trying' to shop there. And sadly, there have been plenty of complaints about them on this forum that just confirm my feelings...

Lori...Since '73 Lori...Since '73
Sep '11

near*

Sep '11

much akin to those lovely electronic salespeople that have no idea about the product they are selling --- feel bad for your experience, though......

trekster3 trekster3
Sep '11

no way, if that sofa was real microfiber, double sided cat tape would NOT hurt it. I covered my microfiber sofa in double sided tape while cat-sitting for my brothers cat for 3 months. no issues when i took it off. it should not take the finish off. what a bummer - i dont think its real microfiber. i would definitly contact the manufacturer. on another note, i have had good experience with the furniture products from suburban in ledgewood.

PoppyGirl
Sep '11

I would like to take the time to reply to this..

We, the owners and staff at The Hackettstown Trading Post go the extra mile to service our customers. We are a locally run business who truly cares about their customers and do everything in our power to make sure our customers have the best experince possible.

Do things go wrong sometimes? Absolutely. But, when they do, we address it head on, and make good on it. Even when it is not our responsibility we go above and beyond to make sure our customer is happy.

Even though The Hackettstown Trading Post is not responsible for cats clawing furniture and adhesive tape being applied to the furniture and ripped off, we made the decision to TAKE THE FURNITURE back (before we were even aware of this posting) and give the customer store credit towards something that would be more appropriate for the customers needs.

The truth is that the salesperson told the customer that the material is "pet friendly". The material IS pet friendly. She did not say that the material is "indistructable", and is resistent to a cat clawing at it and tearing it. There is also not another store or manufacturer who would take this back.

The customer came in today and reselected a beautiful LAZBOY set. We did NOT charge a redelivery fee, we did NOT charge a restocking fee. We simply exchanged it. All of the costs we were willing to absorb to try and keep a customer happy.

We as a business have absolutely no recourse. We can not send this back to the manufacturer, it can not be sold. It is a loss. After going to battle with the manufacturer, they DECLINED the exchange. Even with all of this, we saw how upset the customer was and wanted to help her so that she could enjoy her purchase and her furniture.

In these very difficult economic times doing business is challenging. Our costs continue to rise and we still try to exist by doing the right thing. Even when it is clearly not in our best interest to do so.

To those people who have shopped here and have been loyal customers, thank you for your patronage, your support and your kind words. Our customers are the most important people in the world to us, and why we come to work every day. Thank you for your business and your continued support.

Amy Berkowitz Amy Berkowitz
Sep '11

But was the material microfiber? You do need to stansd behind your employees if they make a mistake.

Firefly Firefly
Sep '11

Amy ,
Are you sure you can't re-sell? We are looking for 2nd hand furniture for our rec-room, and I am sure other people would be interested as well. Just a thought, maybe it doesn't have to be a total loss.

Nutmeg
Sep '11

As to the remark about the electronics department: I don't know his name, but a salesman in that dept. spent alot of time explaining the differences in the TV's, DVD surround sound things etc... I ended up feeling so educated when I left buying a GREAT TV / entertainment center...WOW! I am loving the quality, the sound... I am grateful to his taking the time to EXPLAIN everything... He didn't try to sell me the MOST EXPENSIVE TV either... I went for a less $$ one, but the quality is the best... I LOVE WATCHING this TV! I said it before... the one problem I had, they bent over backwards to fix( my refridge) and delivered NEXT DAY, with a DISCOUNTED PRICE ...a brand new BETTER French door fridge! I felt like I was family. Thank you !!!!!! I will always shop there, even now after Jerry retired!

NiftyFifty NiftyFifty
Sep '11

I have to say that I'm surprised to see the owner responding here. I'm just curious as to why they have never responded before, being that this is just one of several complaints. I'm happy for the customer, in that they were able to pick out something that was actually what they were looking for, but it's funny how the owners of the store still try to make it sound like the WHOLE issue is that the customers cats 'destroyed' his furniture, when a LOT of it comes down to a pushy salesperson more worried about a commission than customer satisfaction...

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Sep '11

I've shopped at HTP for years and never had a problem.
I can't say that about Suburban or the place in Washington.
Ashley was a good experience too, but only one purchase.

MikeL MikeL
Sep '11

As a pet owner, I realize that it is my responsibility to train my animals. My friend experienced a similar problem with a piece of furniture she purchased about a year ago (not from the Trading Post). She allowed it to happen, so it was her fault and she knew it. Micofiber is the most durable fabric out there because of it's density. Nothing will withstand a cat using it as a scratching post. And the use of double sided tape doesn't seem too smart to me either!!! If you find a fabric that will withstand this abuse, please post it.

I've shopped at HTP several times. I can also say, it was Deb who helped me. I have nothing but nice things to say about her and the store. She had patience and a lot of good advice as we designed our new family room. I felt no pressure whatsoever from her. We love our new room, and take care of our furniture.

It sounds as though this problem has been remedied as I've read the posting from HTP. Funny, I didnt see a retraction from JCarfano.

Katie570 Katie570
Sep '11

My guess is that JCarfano has been asked to not comment further. Just a guess.

Firefly Firefly
Sep '11

I have made 2 Furniture purchases from The Hackettstown Trading Post since moving to Long Valley and have a better experience there than anywhere I have EVER shopped before. My salespersons name was Debbie and she was gracious, helpful and informative. Not pushy at all. She made the whole experince really relaxing and enjoyable.

I honestly think that the Trading Post went WAY ABOVE and Beyond. The picture speaks volumes... The furniture was ruined at the hands of the owner and her 5 cats!!!!!

No matter what carfano says that her salesperson told her, that doesn't really change the fact that she put Adhesive tape to it and her cats clawed at it and she seems to think that everyone else except is responsible.
I actually can't believe that they agreed to take it back....
That is amazing..

jeter456 jeter456
Sep '11

I cant imagine the store would have a problem if JCarfano took the time to print an update. Especially, since she is getting brand new furniture for her pets to enjoy!

Katie570 Katie570
Sep '11

Is this woman for real???

I applaud The Hackettstown Trading Post for responding and am impressed and shocked that they actually took that back!

Did anyone take a look at that picture?

It doesn't matter what the salesperson "suppossedly" told her.. Whether she said it was microfiber or not, the animal and the tape destroyed it... I don't think there is any fabric that it totally animal proof, and it is actually funny to me that people think that threatening to call a lawyer takes away from their obvious responsibility for the fact that their negligence caused the damage.

its about as ridiculous as this... I put a scortching hot pan on top of my furniture that I bought from the Trading Post and it left a mark and burned the top of it. So should I sue the trading Post because I am an idiot?

SusieQ SusieQ
Sep '11

The middle cushion issue could warrant a repair/replacement. The cat damage NO...

Sure, you can shop at the bigger, chain store and deal with employee number 2875274 ...or speak to a salesgirl , Deb or Debbie (as mentioned above) ...u might even be dealing with the owner when you shop a smaller FAMILY OWNED, been in town biz for (what, like 50 years????) a long time, like the Hackettstown Trading Post . You can not stay in business for that many years, hand it down to your kids (having the Jerry retirement sale) if you don't do something right. I have done most of my buying dealing with Jerry and he wasn't pushy, he was honest, upfront...gave me a good deal. I believe I dealt with Amy years ago in the furniture dept and got a great living room set (still looking new, 6 years... with pets, teenagers, etc.) Top quality, great price... no problems. Also note: The delivery was fast, and the men were very professional and clean. I sometimes wish my stuff would need replacing already so I can go get another set from them...LOL.
We need to stop blaming everyone else for our problems...ie; the tape, cat scratches, kids plopping/jumping on furniture. Train the pets (or don't have them), train the kids (or don't have them) ... maybe u should live alone, have no one come over to visit and I bet your new furniture will stay new for 50 years!

NiftyFifty NiftyFifty
Sep '11

Hackettstown Trading Post is a first class store. I have always been happy with the
items we boutht there.

The poster should come on here and say thank you on this forum to HTP for taking
back a sofa she destroyed. All she should have got done was her cushion replaced.

Some poster said Deb was a pushy salesperson. How do you know?

Great local family store! Great sales staff!

Conrad's Mom Conrad's Mom
Sep '11

My guess would be that the owner commented on this thread because they actually made good on the issue regardless who's at fault.

just saying is all
Sep '11

iJay,

she must have some really FAT cats as well...

Sep '11

We have been using the trading post for years. Two living room sets. Most of the appliances. I have yet to have a bad experience. I generally purchase the warranty on my furniture due to the fact I have pets as well. While our pets are trained, things do happen. Our first set of love seat and sofa became damaged by our cat after having them for three years. Trading post went out of their way to get the warranty company to take a look. They ended up replacing both love seat for free even tho it was 100% our cats fault. Granted it was the warranty company but HTP worked with us and them to get the deal done. They even delivered the new items no charge. I always shop HTP first and if I'm being totally honest on the rare occasion I have found a better deal on some items elsewhere that HTP could just not meet. I appreciated their honesty on those occasions. My thought is they went above and beyond in this case. As for pet damage buy the warranty it works. They shouldn't be responsible for anything other than non customer faults with the items. Also on a last note I bought a power recliner elsewhere and its stated as microfiber. Same look as this persons. It is true microfiber coated to give it a true leather look. My friends leather sofa looks much worse from his pets over time than my recliner. Anything will get ruined if a cat scratches or claws.

MrChevy
Sep '11

Amy B.'s response was right on the mark and it sounds like the way HTP handled it was more than fair. We've been loyal customors for many years and will continue to be.
I hate to see any business bashed on this forum.

borninthe1960's borninthe1960's
Sep '11

I have purchased many items from the HTP and have always been pleased with the quality of the furniture and the salespeople that have taken care of me. I moved last year and purchased my living room furniture and my bedroom furniture from them. I would highly recommend them.
Alot of my family members are also customers of HTP and have never had a problem.

satisfied customer
Sep '11

I would like to start off by saying thank you all for your comments, both negative and positive. I asked for suggestions and appreciate everyone's opinion. I have waited to post because things are still in the works and it was not until this a.m. that I finished the paperwork. I would like to thank everyone at Hackettstown Trading Post for the re-consideration and for truly making the customer very happy. I especially would like to thank Deb for being my biggest advocate during this process. I don't think it would have happened if it was not for her. Deb and Karen both have gone above and beyond and I can not express my gratitude enough. My goal was never to cause HTP any type of a loss, and I can only hope that the manufacturer will re-consider as they are selling defective furniture when it comes to the broken cushion. I learned during this process that they have had the same broken cushion on 2 other couches the same brand and model. I did a lot of research the past few weeks and learned that microfiber is material and that some manufacturers are using microfiber with polyurethane treatment which changes the material to something similar to pleather or resembling a plastic coating. It should be the manufacturers responsibility to list this on the product and not just label it microfiber. I can only hope that what I have learned and am now passing on to others will help them in the future.

This is not my first purchase from Hackettstown Trading Post I am a repeat customer and I would recommend them to any and all. I wish this had never happened and I truly hope that they can get the manufacturer to reconsider and I offer my assistance if I can help in any way. I would like to tell the people that feel I was wrong, that I felt I had a case and stood up for myself. I have never done this before and hope I never will have to again.

I publicly apologize to Deb for portraying her in a negative light in my initial post, she showed me that she is a wonderful person and I am truly sorry.

Sincerely,
JCarfano

jcarfano jcarfano
Sep '11

I love when something negitive turns to possitive and everyone is happy. YEAH! Cheers. Enjoy

NiftyFifty NiftyFifty
Sep '11

Now if only they would take my furniture back, the exact furniture jcarfano had! Same things happened to mine, cushion collapsed, scratches easily. Yes I try to keep my dog off, but she gets up from time to time. I was told the same thing, it is "animal friendly". So if they help one customer, why don't they help another??? I have been dealing with them for over a month and have gotten no where!

Townie70 Townie70
Sep '11

you people with the pets drive me crazy!!! If you bought a mattress and the cat peed on it are you going to call the mattress company and yell at them that they didnt specify that the mattress would soak up the urine and smell forever?? UNBELEIVABLE.

what an excuse to take advantage.

Now about the salespeople asking for a deposit. Maybe they spent quite some time with you looking at furniture and losing out on other customers, so asking you to leave a deposit just in case you decide you want it isnt pushy, it verifies the salesperson who worked for you will get credit for it, should you decide to come back when they are not there and someone else write it up; and get all the commission. Deposits should
ALWAYS be refundable and if you have doubt, ask the salesperson to write clear as day on the receipt "DEPOSIT IS REFUNDABLE"
I worked at a furniture store for 5 years, they are not as sneaky and pushy as you all might think, theyre trying to earn a living, if you have doubts about what they are promising you then you need to ask them to write it down on your receipt.

The store I worked at did have stamps to specify to the customer when it was "final sale", "non-refundable" "special order" and "as-is".

icicle icicle
Sep '11

I have chairs with a similar material - from a different store - it doesn't collect hair, maybe that was what was meant by "animal friendly" - Also, if you feel the material, it is rather apparent that it could be scratched or otherwise injured by a sharp object - as would most other materials. Other than the center piece breaking, I think it is outrageous to demand refund for your own use - your cat scratched it, you put the tape on it!! Come on, use your own common sense and quit blaming others for your own mistakes. Presumably you saw the materials on the furniture before you bought it? I think that HTP was overly generous.

and so on and so on
Sep '11

pets+ covers= happy
please concider covering with a blanket or slip cover for pets...then remove for company... easy.

NiftyFifty NiftyFifty
Sep '11

Loved Amy B.'s response! I know Amy & she's got class. I am also a repeat customer of HTP for years ... sofa, club chair, dryer, stove, etc. Fortunately, I have never had any problems with anything that I've bought from them. That being said, I've also taken good care of these things that cost me a pretty penny. PS Had good experiences with all the different sales associates too.

End of last year, I sent my boyfriend into the store ... and he, too, bought a lovely sofa & love seat. He has cats & dogs in his home ... and he puts up a kiddie gate to keep them off the furniture! He had no expectation that HTP would stand guard over his furniture.

At any rate, I'm so happy for JCarfano that, ultimately, her needs were met.

Autumnmist Autumnmist
Sep '11

I have had 3 different transactions with HTP in the last year and Debbie was my salesperson for all 3. I couldn't be happier with my furniture and the service Debbie provided. She is very knowledgeable and absolutely no pressure. There was an issue with one of the pieces of my bedroom set and it was resolved. Karen is great at customer service - always returns calls. Anyway, my experiences with HTP have always been positive. Believe me - no furniture is "animal friendly". I cover my couch with "special covers" for my cats and I've trained them to only lay on their covers.

Mindy'sMom Mindy'sMom
Sep '11

Once again, this entire thing comes down to being an educated consumer. One should do a little homework about the materials, construction, etc. and NOT rely on a salesperson for that information. Of course, a salesperson is working on commission, so her/his job is to make the sale. The salesperson here, said this couch was microfiber, when clearly, it was not. (I have a couch from Crate & Barrel that is microfiber, as well as some dining room chairs, and I can tell you that material on the couch was not microfiber. I wouldn't be allowing animals anywhere near my furniture. Just wondering where this poster got her info. about it being cat friendly??). Before large purchases especially, it would be wise to know as much as possible about the item. Look up reviews online, and always find out what the return policies are, before purchasing, of course. I think in this case, that HTP made good on this purchase, and the customer should be more than pleased with the end result.

dr2mom dr2mom
Oct '11

Yes, let's not be ignorant about things we purchase. A little homework whether it be a car, refrigerator, or sofa only makes sense.

They are hiring!

Botheredbyu Botheredbyu
Oct '11

As per icicle, "Deposits should ALWAYS be refundable and if you have doubt, ask the salesperson to write clear as day on the receipt "DEPOSIT IS REFUNDABLE" "

In that store they are NOT! You get penalized for this and restocking fees...etc. I still stand behind my decision not to purchase at this store...buyer beware!

I too have a problem. I purchased a sectional have no pets, just a family of 5. The purchase was for a Berkline section (which I have been told has gone out of business - just my luck after 50 years.. I buy something and they go out of business). I can't tell you how many times I called the store and got the run around. I have documented my complaints and had my credit card company approach them to no avail. These disputes are for the purchase of furniture and leather insurance (which is a joke - they tell me it's the furniture stores problem, and TP tells me it's not their fault). I have been promised a call back on many occasions and never received one. I have been more than patient with the store. The leather on the furniture began to rip and wear down within two weeks of the purchase. Very poor quality – I was totally misled. Now less than one year to the day of the purchase the recliner broke. DO NOT do business with these people. They are banking on me giving up my quest for a refund.. which I will not do. I will be calling them again today and requesting a discussion with AMY - who has never been available for me before. My next step is to call the TV station. Maybe then they will listen. I don't care if these are tough times from the business perspective, what about my family a hard working family who saved up the $ to purchase the furniture ? What about me!? I'm supposed to just through the $ away along with the furniture?

Unhappy and Mislead Unhappy and Mislead
Apr '12

GO into the store....and in the furniture section - go to the far left corner where the offices are located. Walk in and see if you can't resolve this issue in person. Phone call are too easily avoided. To think I actually felt bad when I applied for a customer service position handling these type issues. I would have been horrified having to deal with these issues but also hard put to "quit" a job.

Firefly Firefly
Apr '12

Unhappy - do not give up. You should totally contact "Shame on You"'s Arnold Diaz on Fox or Lynda Baquero on NBC.

It makes me angry when consumers are taken and misled.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Jules Jules
Apr '12

Please dont get me started on the trading post. My husband and I shopped there for all our furniture and we spent almost 2000 on a small couch.. They charged us extra for different pattern etc.. We also bought a coffee table and our dining room set. They made alot of money on us. Not long after we bought it our back cushions lost their shape and the filing does not hold up at all. So we called and were told the short warranty they did have was on the bottom cushions only. Bullshit thats for sure. We are NOT happy with them. Not willing to help or do anything. I am sick of shopping local and getting burned I think you are better off going to a chain furniture store. At least if something goes wrong they may or may not do anything but they are not as expensive thats for sure!!!!!

What I don't understand is that if I buy a brand name sofa from them, isn't it the same brand name from another store and factory? I can understand if HTP 's customer service isn't good, but that doen't explain the inferior products, does it? Does Suburban Furniture (or other furniture stores) have the same complaints?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '12

When I had a problem with an item from them, I quoted what the salesperson had told me and the response was "You shouldn't have listened to the salesperson."

They were rude and difficult to deal with once they had the money and you had the item.

To me, customer service really starts when there's a problem and you see how it's handled.

awakeagain awakeagain
Apr '12

True, but who can resist shopping there with those really classy window signs?

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Apr '12

Someone should email them the link to this thread.....

Nosila Nosila
Apr '12

Just the other day hubby and I saw a caravan of 3 HTP vehicles (because 1 wouldn't suffice?) holding up traffic in the Trade Zone. Just a plethora of false advertising, SMH...

Apr '12

Lori, I saw the Budd Lake Police pull over all 3 cars at the same time ! They were right by the Lake... It was priceless. They were driving all around like crazy people,and the cops got them....I was laughing so hard as I passed them.....

bowie bowie
Apr '12

Sad thing is it used to be a wonderful store!

suzique suzique
Apr '12

bowie,

Ha! That must have been before or after I saw them. I didn't notice a police escort, LOL. Thanks for sharing!

Apr '12

So where are all the people who bad talked the lady who started this post???? SEE SHE WAS NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO HAD A PROBLEM. They are rude and a joke in that store ill NEVER shop there.

I will never buy anything from this store again. Not only do they not stand behind the products in which they sell, but they are CONSTANTLY hiring less then desirable people to do their deliveries. They have had many complaints of things being stolen during deliveries. If many people knew the backgrounds of many of their current employees they would never let them enter their house. What happened to employers doing background checks on people, especially people who were being trusted to enter a persons house. They are constantly changing employees which to me shows that they are not only hard to deal with as a customer but a terrible employer. We all speak of all the things that are bringing out town down, but if you ask me having this store putting up huge yellow signs, having "hoodlum" looking people standing on street corners with signs, having cars drive around with advertisements on roof tops is not exactly doing anything positive for our towns image. They make main street, and many of our other streets for that matter, look low class and ridiculous. Not to mention that all of these so called deals are just scams. HTP is not adding anything positive to this town and hope that they see all of these posts and realize the feelings are mutual from my many of their customers and maybe that is the reason why they are having "financial issues"

hhs2007 hhs2007
Apr '12

Not sure where the HTP "financial issues" came from. I was told first hand at the store last week that they were expanding. They are closing their warehouse on Thomas Road and the Closeout Store on Main Street. They will be relocating both functions to the soon to be closed furniture store near the intersections of Route 182 and Route 57.

former retailer
Apr '12

I purchased a sofa at JC Penney. The bottom of one part of the top cushion started separating about a month after I bought it. They came to my house right away and tried to repair it but couldn't.

They gave me the option of either them replacing the whole back for free or giving me credit to pick out a new couch. I chose the latter option.

I went in, picked out a different couch. They gave me my original discount that was in effect when I did the first purchase and they delivered the couch for free and took the old couch back. Two years later and I'm still very pleased with it. Their customer service was great. Chain stores all the way for me.

They are not expanding. They are laying off employees hiring less qualified paid less employees. If they were expanding why would they be selling off..

Hhs2007 Hhs2007
Apr '12

Its going on 8 weeks im waiting for the rest of my furniture to be delivered, will see what happens after the weekend

turbo guy
Apr '12

Bought a refrigerator from them years ago (along with all our appliances for our remodeled kitchen)---the wrong one came in--too big for our space and also didn't have the correct door molding. Was told we had to keep the firdge becauses it was a special order and couldn't be put back in the warehouse. Of course it wasn't the salesperson's fault cause the wrong code was entered on the order slip. Have not been back since.
Personally I think the window signs ruin the town---everyone complains how the town "looks"---IMO the signs make our town look cheap, and ruin the decor of the cozy, small town we once were. I thought at one time Hackettstown had a sign ordiance which included neon lights, overhangs and hanging window signs. I don't care how many stores HTP owns---the signs need to go

ziggy ziggy
Apr '12

@ Ziggy..Not to mention the sign on the window has the cash value that is wrong .lol i saw it a few days ago and again today and my 7th grader says... umm mom that number does'nt exsist.

luvjazz luvjazz
Apr '12

never mind ..i was wrong :)

luvjazz luvjazz
Apr '12

All of the "closeout" sales etc are marketing gimics. Don't fall for it. They are trying to get customer to feel that they are getting a good deal in this tough economic climate. I think it is so cheesy that they have people standing on street corners with signs. I actually feel bad for the company. They are making very poor marketing decisions. Its embarrassing.......

used to work there
Apr '12

Wow...bought furniture end of january...told 10 to 12 weeks ..still don't have it ! Was given all different excuses, and different dates...was told by the "owner" we would have it tomorrow ...she has the "power" (direct quote from her) that we would have it. Guess what! Told today it was still in transit now won't have it until next week. Oh and the owner is conveniently off today...so much for her power...will never buy from there again

Missrx Missrx
May '12

Cancel it and go elsewhere.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
May '12

I went through the same thing 15 years ago, and when the items finally came in I was told by Joel " The price went up while it was on back order you have to pay the difference" Since then I have bought a lot of stuff, but nothing from them.

emolder emolder
May '12

I have previously bought furniture from Suburban in Ledgewood. Had no problems there but the items are getting old so we are in the market again for new furniture. I was going to go to the trading post in Hackettstown to keep it local, but after reading all this, I won't be spending 5 to $10,000.00 for inferior products or poor customer service. So guess what, if nothing else they lost alot of money. I hope HTP sees all this and realizes whatever they thought they were getting screwing people in the long run will cost them so much more. I've often said, the net will make you or break you.

boobalaa boobalaa
May '12

On the sign at the new facility it says HTP Consignment Shop. Wonder if they'll be selling new furniture as well as consignment items. Anyone know?

Martha Martha
May '12

My guess is that with the consignment shop, they'll be selling the items they conveniently remove from other people's houses when they get new furniture. Now, I'd love to know if HTP charges to remove the old furniture, as they would then be double dipping - charging one person to remove it, and then selling it to someone else.

Just bought a sectional from Bob's (which may or may not be of lower quality than HTP products). I purchased it on Sunday, and it arrived Thursday. 10-12 weeks is way too long. Did they have to grow the tree to harvest the wood to make the furniture?

According to their commercial it is free pickup and it is consignment. Which means they sell it for a commission. The site on Mountain Ave is part warehouse and part consignment store. I tried going in last week but it was not open yet. Anyone know when they are going to open?

I personally have NEVER had a problem with anything I bought there and I have bought ALOT! I would personally try it yourself before ruling out anything I read on a forum from people you do not know. At least and go in the store and feel it out for yourself. Use your instinct.

Christine Christine
May '12

Are they going to be going out of business next to Paintpourri next? I saw a sign today o no....

mistergoogle mistergoogle
May '12

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.