where to get rid of an (old) computer?

I need to get rid of a computer, it's old enough that it's not really capable of running current versions of windows, etc... is there someplace to recycle these? Or a certain date Or something? I could probably just take it to the landfill, but I'd rather recycle it if possible.

Any info appreciated!

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Sep '11

You can't (or aren't supposed to) just take it to the landfil. There are 2 electronic recycling days per year in Warren County at the Oxford recycling center. It is usually in April and October. I'm not positive of that or what the date is, but you could call the county recycling center and check.

Tanya Tanya
Sep '11

Sunday October 2nd , next week at the Oxford landfill . Details in the link below .

http://www.pcfawc.com/

Zombo Zombo
Sep '11

Oct. 2 - 8 AM-12 - Sunday
Household Hazardous Waste Clean Up and Electronics/computer parts collection

Warren County Landfill
500 Mt. Pisgah Ave, Oxford
off of Rt. 31 (approx. 1 mile south of Rt. 46)

908-453-2174

Copygirl Copygirl
Sep '11

I am takeing a load of electronic stuff to the land fill on the 2 nd of oct thats when they are haveing it J/R re move the hard drive and merrory chips and destroy with a hammer before takeing over

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Sep '11

If they are at least somewhat recent or powerful, you might consider installing some spin of Linux and repurpose it. It can breathe new life into a computer for years, to play free games, host a website, act as a backup drive, etc.

And if not, there's always recycling as the above posters have mentioned.

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Sep '11

wow copygirl --- thanks, would have missed it.

fyi --- recylers offer cash but only pennies a pound.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Sep '11

I think ( from what I heard long ago) that Best Buy will recover an old computer if you buy one from them. I don't know what the deal is now; so call and ask.

I bought mine from costco years ago and they didn't have a recycle plan whatever; so I just drilled a hole through the hard drive discs and flipped it in the garbage can.

I used to save my batteries to recycle, and just a few months ago, I went to take them for recycle bin, and there was No More Bin... The recycle place no longer took batteries, and they said it is so miniscule of an amount...and to just flip them in the trash.
Hands slap slap slap...D O N E !...

No incentive from the city / county / state .period.

embryodad embryodad
Sep '11

Date: Saturday, October 1, 2011

Time: 8:30 AM to 12:30 PM

Cost: FREE

Washington Township is holding an Electronic Waste Disposal Day at the Cuccinella school, located off Naughright Road, Long Valley, NJ on October 1, 2011 from 8:30 AM to 12:20 PM.

The following items will be accepted:

Cables, Cell Phones, Computer Monitors, Copiers, CPUs CRTs, DVD Players, Fax Machines, Keyboards, Laptops, Modems, Old Computers, Printers, Radios, Scanners, Stereo Equipment, Telephones, Terminals, TVs, VCRs, VHS Players

No large appliances and no items containing CFC’s will be accepted. For more information, please contact the DPW Offices at 908-876-3382.

LV Ann LV Ann
Sep '11

Do you have to be a Washington Twp resident?

Copygirl Copygirl
Sep '11

There's a place just behind Lowes in Mt. Olive that recycles computers called AERC.

Their website is www.com-cycle.com 3 Goldmine Rd., Suite 106, Flanders, NJ and their phone # is 866-447-5117. I sometimes see computers left next to their door when I drive by.

To see a list of places covering NJ go to:

http://www.nj.gov/dep/dshw/lrm/uwaste/ucomplist.htm

There's also a place listed at One Eden Lane in Flanders too. Their website is http://veoliaes.com/Home and their phone # is 973-691-3923

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '11

Hi Copygirl. It doesn't say anything about being a resident. But I don't know for sure. Maybe give a call.

LV Ann LV Ann
Sep '11

Wow! Tons of info! Thanks all!

Sep '11

If you take it to the Oxi Dump go early - Saturday's are packed.

Earlier in the year took an old computer & TV to the Allamuchy Road Dept - they had an electronics day (not a town resident - think you had to be a county resident) it was around $20.

Call H'town DPW - they have electronics days think they are in the spring - they could probably tell you if there is one this fall in the surrounding area.

Eagle1
Sep '11

Oxford dump you have to live in Warren County.

If you go to the Oxford dump on Saturday you will be waiting until Sunday since it is ONLY on Sunday and only for Warren County residents . If you miss it they have it again in the spring .

http://www.pcfawc.com/oct2011hhw.pdf

Zombo Zombo
Sep '11

What about Cucinella? Do you have to be a Washington Twp resident?

Sep '11

Here's an article about the event in Washington Township, Morris County - lots of stuff was disposed of - http://longvalley.patch.com/articles/photos-second-e-waste-disposal-event-a-success#photo-7992759

BLD2
Oct '11

Just throw it in a dumpster somewhere, doesn't really make a difference... the whole concept of recycling electronics is an overrated sham to be P.C.!

Overdialed Beast! Overdialed Beast!
Oct '11

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.