Such a shame (Fruit/Veg Market/Budd Lake)

Went to the fruit and vegetable market in Budd Lake today, I think they have new owners, I haven't been there in a while and there were new people and new staff. I picked up two bunches of hydrangeas (three stems in a bunch rubber banded together and wrapped with plastic) and the sign said they were 3/$10. When I got to the register, the man said they were 3.99 a stem or the bunch was $10. I said that is outrageous and your signage is misleading. Needless to say I didn't want the flowers and will probably not be returning to this establishment.

NotaNJNative NotaNJNative
Sep '11

That is false advertising unless they had the smaller size bunches showing that they were to be sold 3 for $10 and the one you picked up was a display of what you would get for the $10.

joyful joyful
Sep '11

I am not a fan of that place either. Maybe its the time of day I go into there but everything always looked wilted.

Christine Christine
Sep '11

The market in Ledgwood is great!

happycamper happycamper
Sep '11

Where is the market in Ledgewood? I need to check that out.

Joyful - I wish that was the case, but they were all the same, even the cashier agreed with me and apologized, I felt bad because it wasn't her fault. Whatever happened to the customer is always right?

NotaNJNative NotaNJNative
Sep '11

NotaNJNative -- the one in Ledgewood is in the strip mall where the bowling alley is on Rt 46.

happycamper happycamper
Sep '11

Depending on the size of your cajones, next time (if you even go back), bring a small scissor, stand there and start cutting the rubber bands and wrappers. When asked, state you are merely looking for the best stem since there are sold individually as you learned on your last visit, you're on a budget, and you merely want to choose the best stem! Be indignant and question how are you to chose the one you want when them all bundled up like that!

Peggy C. Peggy C.
Sep '11

i agree, that place has gone down hill since they got new owners. even before that it was kind of the same.. there are too many bugs in there first of all and the stuff just isn't as good. i agree, the one in ledgewood is great!! a lot more options also! the customer should always be right and the employees should be friendly, not rude.. the young girls that used to work there were so nice and thoughtful! i guess it just depends on customer service!

thtgrl thtgrl
Sep '11

Was driving along Rt 46 in Budd Lake yesterday and saw the fruit and veg market was open again under a new name. Simi Valley Market I believe it said. Stopped in...place was very clean. No pests flying around. Prices so so as most everything seemed comparable to Shoprite produce prices I thought.

The Ledgewood Market has a Deli, and a Fish Market along side the Vege Market. They also have wonderful Sushi.....

bowie bowie
Jul '14

The place in Budd Lake is Verdi Fresh. Haven't been in there yet though.

Blackcat Blackcat
Jul '14

LOL thanks Blackcat! Yes that's it! Not sure how the heck I came up with name Simi Valley!

My husband stopped at store yesterday. It's cleaner than it was before but selection of fruits and vegetables is worse and prices are higher than in Ledgewood.

Since the new owners Verdi Fresh in Budd Lake has been great. Like all farmers markets not everything is perfect but the majority is exactly what I'm looking for. Compared to Shoprite it's night and day price wise. Im constantly there saving money and there is always someone stocking and taking out the old veggies. I love this place and feel bad for the people wasting money at SR or Weis.

The customer isn't always right. That's ridiculous!

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
May '17

Shopped today and found it clean, well stocked except for meat and cheese. Some items seem a bit pricey but I'd rather shop here than any of the local "super" markets which have poor fresh produce and are not particularly clean (except for Kings). I'll go back.

Michael S Fenton Michael S Fenton
Apr '20

I love the convenience and quality of the Verdi fresh market in Budd Lake. The people are hard-working, no-nonsense and they almost always have what I need. At the same time, it is not shop rite. Whining works better at shop rite.

Luv garlic Luv garlic
May '20

Michael S Fenton

On another thread we were talking about bookstores being "local" or not, with some feeling perhaps Denville, Rockaway and Morristown aren't local.

Going by that idea King's isn't "local" to them, since the closest ones are in Boonton and Bedminster.

Other people may consider them close enough to be local, but if you're carrying perishables in warm/hot weather, not so much. That is unless you carry a cooler with you.

Phil D. Phil D.
May '20

Phil D I think there is a Kings on 24 in Mendham? Been a while since I have been that way, so not sure if they are still there, but then again my idea of "local" is a bit skewed lol.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
May '20

There's a King's on 22 in the Whitehouse Station section of Readington Township.

ianimal ianimal
May '20

I also believe that the sign is misleading and the customer is always right, but in a florist those flowers are $5 to $8 a stem. I also agree that if you are going to buy them again, get the best stems they have.

CuriousKitty
May '20

JrzyGirl88

Google maps shows one in Gillette, which is probably the one you're thinking of. Our various ideas of "local" on the bookstore thread is why I brought it up here.

There's another fruit/vege. place in Parsippany on Rt. 46W, (where Channel used to be in the 80's) called the "Delight Big Bazaar". It has a number of fruits you don't often see in a regular supermarket since it's under Indian ownership. It also has a huge amount of nuts and dried fruits.

Hopefully the Verdi Fresh Market will stay better than its predecessors!

Phil D. Phil D.
May '20

There is a Kings on rt 24 in Mendham.

justwondering justwondering
May '20

justwondering and JrzyGirl88

You're both definitely correct. For some reason, when I searched for King's earlier, google maps only showed the other three locations. The Mendham one must have been off that map. Funny thing is that I've driven right by it numerous times while going the back way to Morristown. My apologies!

Phil D. Phil D.
May '20

Speaking of Kings, a few years back there was once one near my job in West Caldwell on Bloomfield Ave but it was always empty as they were super expensive. You'd drive half a mile up the road to the Shoprite on Passaic Ave also in West Caldwell and the place would be absolutely PACKED!

I'm amazed how Kings is able to maintain themselves here in this state with their high prices and constant competition from low price leaders including Shoprite and Walmart Grocery locations.

Lenny Rock Lenny Rock
May '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.