The Tavern @ Great Meadows

Not at Panther Valley (as rumored), but in Great Meadows on Route 46. The old Rico's has a banner hanging on it that says, "Sports Bar Coming Soon."

I can't even express how excited I am about this!!!!!!!

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '11

This area desparately needs a good place to hangout and down a few beers. Hoping the food will be good also. A consistently good burger and fries will do it for me. And some real drink and draft specials. Im tired of paying crazy prices for a draft at the crummy places that I will not mention.

Happy to hear that they are going to re-open the former Rico's...and yes, that it will be a Sportsbar with hopefully good food as well. Happy for you too, Calico696!

joyful joyful
Sep '11

YEA! YEA! YEA! Good burgers go a long way! Also wings!
It was sometimes uncomfortable at previous restaurants that turned into sports bars on the weekends. Customers will now know this is a sometimes yelling(not profanity), raucous crowd, kinda place.

SlapTheCat SlapTheCat
Sep '11

Slap - Totally agree. We like to watch the games in a place where we can scream and yell. That's what sports are all about. With it being an actual sports bar, people will know what to expect if they are just going there to eat and not watch a game.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '11

Cool hope the food is good ! Think this will be 3-4th resturant/bar there hope it goes over.

phillies11 phillies11
Sep '11

I just hope it opens before football season is over. Not sure how much work needs to be done in there.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '11

OMG really.....EXCITED TOO!!

Christine Christine
Sep '11

I hope they have good wings. I will travel for good wings.

emaxxman emaxxman
Sep '11

Good wings and beer specials are key for any sports bar.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '11

Exactly and BIG TV's!!

Christine Christine
Sep '11

Whats going in across the street from rico's? Looks like an office of some sort

Brad
Sep '11

Has it opened yet? I will go next Sunday if there is a HL football party

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Sep '11

Clyde - "Coming Soon" means not open yet. LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '11

Clyde - There's an HL football party next Sunday at Broad & Pattison in Philly. Feel free make printouts of you HL sports comments and bring them along for group discussion. ;-)

LOL GC....good one.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '11

Clyde - "Coming Soon" means not open yet. LOL
Calico696

My bad lol

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Sep '11

if they have tredmils and eliptical machine I am in. I have been looking for a place to work out and drink.

My current gym frowns upon drinking any kind og alcoholic beverages while working out.

I haven't seen anything going on at all at this place. Probably won't do so well if they open up in March. Football will be over, baseball won't be started, basketball...well who knows. I don't know too many people who go out to watch hockey.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '11

Agree Calico, if you open a Sports Bar, you MUST, I repeat MUST, be open for football season

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Nov '11

If they "do it right"- a good sports bar right there will be a major money maker.

Has there ever been a business that lasted at that spot long? I have been here 14 years, and dont remember anything being open for all that long at that location.

As much as I want to embrace Blackstones- they just didnt get it right- hope this place does it up.

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Nov '11

Anyone hear yet when they will be opening and what they'll be called?

They were working on it today. Skylights too.

mysty mysty
Nov '11

mysty - Yay! Glad to hear it. Thanks for posting.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '11

Any additional word on this? I'm starting to get antsy, to watch football there.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '11

are we talking about the place right next to rogers rentals?

Pete - If by Rogers "Rentals" you mean Rogers "Transfer", then no. Villa Venice is right next to Rogers Transfer. The place we are discussing is the old Rico's restaurant, which is just west of Sts. Peter and Paul church on 46. Been closed up for years and was many other things prior to Ricos.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '11

There is another sports bar opening in PV mall near the seven eleven, not sure when that will be open but that is very close for me, so I'll await. Not that many places to go for a nice quiet drink and atmosphere, get tired of same old places...

Lisa50
Nov '11

Wow Lisa. It's going to be sports bar central. PV is a little bit of a haul for us.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '11

Do Sports Bar and 'nice quiet drink and atmosphere' really go together? hehe

Lori...since' 73 Lori...since' 73
Nov '11

Very true Lori '73. If so then its not going to stay a sports bar if even stay in business very long lol

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Nov '11

Are you sure it's too far, Calico? How about an occupy Sports Bar movement? ;) Bring a tent.

INeedMoreCowBell INeedMoreCowBell
Nov '11

Are you saying we're gonna pitch a tent at the local bar? That might take a few beers for me... :>)

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Nov '11

mistergoogle, you have no idea how hard I laughed at that comment. With that, I will keep my mouth shut or I'll wind up being banned for the comment my fingers want to type.
Thanks for the chuckle.

INeedMoreCowBell INeedMoreCowBell
Nov '11

Re: The Tavern @ Great Meadows

We have the tents! Where's the beer?

John C John C
Nov '11

The place going in next to Rogers "Rentals" (on the corner of 46 and Johnson Rd.) is also going to be a bar, not sure if it will be a sports bar though. They must still be working on the inside since I see construction vehicles there often.

Snow - Thanks for clearing that up. I guess we were talking about two different "Rogers". The building you are talking about is the old Riviera bar location and there has been speculation of different things going there for awhile. Didn't know there was Rogers Rentals next to that.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '11

okay, that was an oxymoron statement I guess...lol! I should rephrase that by just saying nice to find a new hang out.... that covers it!

Lisa50
Nov '11

mysty - You posted above (3 weeks ago) that they were working on the skylights. I got excited. Now I realize you were talking about the other location (old Riviera) not the "Sports Bar Coming Soon" place. Which is the old Rico's, located just west of Sts. Peter and Paul Church.

Anyway, I still have not seen any signs of life, or working when driving by. Strange. It's over two months since the start of this thread. I wonder if the project was abandoned.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '11

I drove by there not long ago and the Rico's signs were still up. While it looked like they had done work i'm thinking that's not a good sign at all.

Bryan Bryan
Dec '11

Yeah I pass by the place everyday going to and from work. Haven't seen any activity whatsoever there in months.

Has this place opened up? If so how is it?

HeatherS HeatherS
Feb '12

I drove by yesterday. Still nothing but the now old "coming soon" sign. No activity at all.

Don't hold your breath........

fitter
Feb '12

there were several cars in the parking lot of the old Ricos earlier this week...and people milling around...no other information...than that

oldman oldman
Feb '12

hmm strange! I wonder if they are opening or not then...

HeatherS HeatherS
Feb '12

I have no idea. But obviously they missed football season.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '12

LOL I would say so Calico!

HeatherS HeatherS
Feb '12

RICOS for you late comers, has always been a food / drink establishment, since the 1930's - Weber's Farmstand; Banana Farm; Walnut Grove; Webers. fol by a few more names and owners. Well known for service and hospitality, tied to best in refreshments. Missed it for years. Good luck!

oldsoldier oldsoldier
Feb '12

Sports bars all over the place, TV Happy followers! Where was the first for you? Do you remember first two TV,s in Hackettstown; actually Warren County? Big nite was Friday Boxing, Newark and Madison Sq Garden.

oldsoldier oldsoldier
Feb '12

heres a picture of Ricos when it was the Walnut Grove...tavern...gas station...and roadhouse...Webers ran the place well...and I also liked it when it was the Villa De Rocco...back in the late 70s to early 80s

oldman oldman
Feb '12

It will never make it.I give it 3 months before the only ones in there are the local muddies.Look whats around there! realy think that area can sustain a sports bar!

funlover
Feb '12

OLDMAN: Like your photos! Do you have one when Villa Venice was a firehouse?
Incidentially, Riveria was initially 'Marjories Den' named by her father = went to
HHS w/her and her brother.

oldsoldier oldsoldier
Feb '12

funlover absolutely it will if its run properly and have food worth traveling to. Its not always about the location. I travel to many different restaurants because I enjoy the atmosphere and the food. Even some are in the middle of nowhere. Many on here were excited about it. Its something new in this area and there is a lot of sports fans that would love a place to hang out and watch their games!

HeatherS HeatherS
Feb '12

Well it sure seems to taking forever, I guess OPENING SOON, really doesnt mean soon at all.

idlechatter idlechatter
Feb '12

Yup. I, for one, am sick of waiting.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '12

I passed by around 6:30 earlier this evening and there was a guy on a ladder working next to the Rico's sign. We was installing either a security camera or some sort of light fixture, couldn't tell for sure. Progress!

Vic, at 5pm last night, I saw 2 guys carrying a long piece of tubing around to the back of the building...this all could be interpreted as a sign of life!

OnlyChild OnlyChild
Apr '12

Sweet!

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '12

6 months later and still no sign of life aside from an occasional State Trooper that likes to park in the lot on the west side of the building and work speed enforcement.

all I see there is more and more garbage piling up near the back of the building,,,not any progress

oldman oldman
Oct '12

Talk about a let down. This thread was actually started over a year ago.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '12

Pretty soon the fading banner will look just like a white surrender flag-

I guess they were using the term "soon" very loosely!

Oct '12

Same thing happened with Herbies in Long Valley, where Tina's and Liola's were. They put up the sign, told everyone they were coming soon, then nothing.

Tracy Tracy
Oct '12

Came across a decent sports bars in Newton on county road 622 that goes to Swartswood Lake . Good place with decent prices , just too bad it's so far away though .

http://www.stadiumbarandgrillnj.com/#!daily-drink-specials/vstc5=blank02

zombo zombo
Oct '12

We go to Riley & Jake's on Rt. 31 for football. Great place, good food and nice staff. A bit of a ride from H'town, but not bad for us from Oxford. About 15 minutes.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '12

and The Pretzel Factory, too.

Firefly Firefly
Oct '12

zombo,

Did you really like it? I work in the area and have not heard a decent thing about it yet. Maybe they're improving...

I'm not sure I'd describe it as being on the way to Swartswood Lake (I'm not familiar with a route that includes 622. Where are you coming from?) but this bar is very close to SCCC .

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Oct '12

Yeah i've been to the Stadium Bar a few times. It's pretty decent for Sussex Cty. Think it draws a younger crowd later at night, maybe kind of like Bar 46.

Bryan Bryan
Oct '12

Firefly, Pretzel Factory got held up with the non-compete clause litigation.

Tracy Tracy
Oct '12

There has been activity in the last several days at Rico in Great Meadows. Someone has been cleaning out the building.

wren
Mar '13

Hope they are clearing it out to re-open-would be a great place for a "Sports Bar"!

They just need a new "Coming Soon" banner and customers will be lining Rt.46 to be there for the "opening"!

Mar '13

I just hope its not the infamous Rico that we all know and love!!!! When I knew Rico back in the Nutley days is was not a pretty scene.....the stories from the PA jail and the shootout in the back woods of Warren County were enough to make Bob put all the RidX out.......

Steve-0 Steve-0
Mar '13

Wow, glad to hear something is finally happening there.

Speaking of new sports bars, Skoogy (of Belvidere fame) is opening up a sports bar on 519 where the old Brewhaha was. Supposed to be open by summer.

Check out their Facebook page under Skoogy's Sports Bar and Restaurant.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '13

Steve O PA Jail, shootout in woods, Bob & ridX Tell us more

eapos eapos
Mar '13

Activity inside the old Rico's location is ongoing. A BMW and a ford pickup have been onsite and parked in back on possibly a daily basis. Lights can be seen on inside. A new fenced garbage area with green privacy slats has been installed in the rear of the property. More updates as they become available...

Rico's Watcher
Apr '13

I met the new manager of the former Rico's today. His name is Matt ,he was very friendly and showed around the place. They are re-doing the interior . It will be a bar and grille, they hope to open around May first.I am looking forward to a visit when the place opens up.

oldman oldman
Apr '13

Thanks for the info oldman.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '13

Heard on WRNJ that Bar 46 was sold and that it would be opening upder a new name/owner at the end of May. Anyone else hear this?

JerseyGirl33 JerseyGirl33
Apr '13

JerseyGirl33...Do not think that Bar 46 was actually sold...but it will be under new management....I think same owner and also a new name with lots more going on.

joyful joyful
Apr '13

JerseyGirl33, I heard that it was sold.

WRNJ said new owner who owns some other bar but I forget where.

jerseycash5
Apr '13

We haven't sold the property, just retiring Bar46. Jenny Jump Roadhouse will be holding a grand opening around Memorial Day. Bar46 will be open Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays during this "rebirth" process. We will continue to hold beer pong tournaments on Friday and live bands on Saturday. Many of the staff will even still be with us after the change. We look forward to the transformation coming soon.

Bar46 Bar46
Apr '13

jenny jump roadhouse - cool name.

Bryan Bryan
Apr '13

Maybe you will have more food available?

mansfield mama mansfield mama
Apr '13

Yes, @mansfield mama there will be a bar menu!

Bar46 Bar46
Apr '13

Will Jenny jump have bands?

Yes, they will! @ess Live music is still planned for Saturday nights and it's possible there will me more than that.

Bar46 Bar46
Apr '13

Help wanted signs have been posted at the former Rico's. Not sure how you go about applying though. The place isn't open yet and I didn't see any additional info as I drove by.

Thanks for the update Vic.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '13

Vic, I saw the signs also - the door was open and there was a car in the lot -
So maybe the owner was there to talk to people looking for work.

More on the old "Rico's"- They are looking to open May 15th, the name will be the Great Meadows Tavern, or something to that effect. Couple of bars, a bunch of TV's.

Owner has previous experience in the business, though not in this area.

Lets hope this is true- there is a niche there that is not being filled by the current establishments in the area that can be tapped into and money is there to be made.

May '13

I passed the place tonight on the way to Johnny's for a hotdog and fries. It said Great Meadow's Tavern opening on May 15th.

just the facts maam just the facts maam
May '13

Super! Thanks for the info. If we get confirmation that they actually open up tomorrow, I will try to check it out Thurs. or Fri.

Calico696 Calico696
May '13

They have been really working on that place the past couple of days.

wren
May '13

Does anyone know if this opened up today - one of the posts above stated they were suppose to open 5/15

kimberlysea kimberlysea
May '13

Don't think so. Went by a little but ago and there some vehicles out back, but nothing to indicate they were open.

music girl music girl
May '13

Talked to someone who is supposed to start as a bartender,
Said not for a week to 10 days at least.

MikeL MikeL
May '13

Sounds like Memorial Day weekend- around the same time the "Jenny Jump Roadhouse" concept takes place.

I drove by also, and saw the same couple cars out back.

I would hope and think that when they are opening, the put a real big banner out front, or even come here to post- I was ready to spend my money tonight, but alas, they were not ready for me yet.

May '13

We were planning on stopping in for a beer tomorrow night. Guess we won't be. :(

Calico696 Calico696
May '13

Bar 46 is going to change. The folks who run a place in Peapack are opening up a joint.

Michelle12 Michelle12
May '13

Yeah I drove by the old Rico's around 6:30 PM this evening and it was still a work in progress. The banners were gone that advertised a 5/15 opening . The old Rico's signage was still up everywhere too. Guess they just need more time.

Any new info on an opening date?

Calico696 Calico696
May '13

Anyone have an update?

Hector
May '13

They have a Facebook page. I'm sure they will put info there when they are planning to open.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/THE-TAVERN-Great-Meadows/540905185974356?fref=tck

Denis Denis
May '13

Still working the site today, Memorial Day! Help wanted signs still up.

May '13

Just saw a post by the owner on Facebook, look out for our June 6th opening!

becca becca
May '13

I spent some time with the manager this morning. Very nice woman and the place sounds very exciting. Labled as American/Eclectic cuisine. They will have all homemade food-NOT prepackaged as the owner is a chef and really knows his stuff. They are planning the opening for next Friday.

May '13

"The Tavern" signage outside was installed today.

what's the name?

just sayin
May '13

The signs that were installed today simply say "The Tavern" on them.

^^ Short, sweet and simple. Love it. Can't wait to try it.

Calico696 Calico696
May '13

"Labled as American/Eclectic cuisine."

Balls hand into fist and pistons back and forth in front of groin area, puts tongue between lips and blows...

"Eclectic" is one of those pretentious, douchey words that means nothing and is used to describe the fact that you have no real vision for your food. It definitely has no place being attached to a sports bar, lol. All I need now is for them to say that their food "is to die for" and I can hang myself in peace.

ianimal ianimal
May '13

Well, I think American cuisine in and of itself is eclectic. Its influences and origins are taken from other cultures. I suspect you'll see your standard steak/burgers, chicken nuggets for the kids, wings, broccoli and cheddar soup appetizer, chicken parm, baked stuffed flounder for the seafood eaters, and apple pie and cheesecake offerings. That's pretty much the standard M.O. for every American cuisine menu I've seen.

emaxxman emaxxman
May '13

Maybe they should name it Applebee's then, emaxxman (-;

But seriously, what you describe sounds an awful lot like what they tried to do at Hops and Barley in the old Charlie Brown's by me. Tell me if this menu looks like what you were envisioning:

http://hopsbarleybistro.com/HB_Menu.pdf

And just to make it a little more "eclectic", let's throw in a sushi bar as well:

http://hopsbarleybistro.com/HB_Sushi_Menu.pdf

Problem is... it isn't working. I doubt they last two more years (if that, I'm being generous). And I doubt that Great Meadows is all that more heavily traveled than Alpha is. Sure, you can say that it'll be better managed and have better food. Perhaps, but perhaps not. The problem is that you aren't really making your restaurant unique and are simply serving things that people can get at a dozen or more other places within a 10-mile radius.

A steakhouse would have been a niche that would have been well-served in the area, IMO. Where does someone in Hackettstown go for a good steak within 10 miles? Throw in a couple seafood dishes and some pasta specials and you have at least defined the dining experience and have provided something that the area is lacking.

JMO... I really wish the owners of The Tavern nothing but the best.

ianimal ianimal
May '13

What an eclectic description Iman, ecletic :>)

May '13

Even for the Hackettstown Forum this is a bit too presumptious and a stretch by knocking them based on a word, "eclectic" before they even publish a menu or have even been open a day.

If anything, I hope this free publicity causes more people to go there in the initial days and form a true opinion.

Any business that is taking a shot at opening in this economy- the owners have my respect initially.

Show me a good product- which I will judge when the doors are actually open, and it will work- there is a market for what they are trying to do in that area- how do I know- I live actually in that area- within 5 miles, not 20 miles away.

Good luck to them- I will post my feelings of their menu and service AFTER they open, and not get into a discussion of minutae of perceived wording- it serves no true purpose, other than cast negativity on someone willing to take a chance on opening a business.

May '13

Well said, The Rhyme Animal...it's hard opening any business and it would be great to have local support.

Jules Jules
May '13

+1 TRA!!! Hope to bump into you at The Tavern. :)

Calico696 Calico696
May '13

Blame shows like Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, lol... it has made the use of something as completely non-specific as "eclectic" to be trendy and hip... and if there's something I can't stand, it's trendy hipsters. I really didn't mean to disparage the owners or the restaurant... it's just the overuse of that word in the restaurant business these days that drives me up a wall. We all have our pet peeves; that happens to be mine.

But to the viability of the restaurant (free advice, no offense intended), do you really think that a restaurant in Great Meadows can be successful if it's only drawing people in from a 5-mile radius? That wouldn't even count Hackettstown. What kind of population are we talking about within that radius, 5,000 tops? To be successful, I would think that you would need, at a minimum, to be pulling in people from as far away as Hackettstown and Washington (on a regular basis)... if not all of Warren County... which is why I think you need a bigger draw than burgers and chicken parm (just using emaxx's example).

Like you, I have a lot of respect for someone with the stones to try and open a restaurant in this economy. It's a tough racket in the best of times, damn near impossible in these conditions. I, too, wish them the best of luck and promise that I will try it at least once. But it will have to be DAMN good to get me to drive 25 miles even once a month, let alone more frequently than that.

ianimal ianimal
May '13

nouveau eclectic with a rarified touch of romantic whimsy.

think iman is on to something. look at the google search for "eclectic menu."

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=&oq=ecletic++men&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGRP_enUS506US506&q=eclectic+menu&gs_l=hp..0.0i10l5.0.0.1.78607...........0.mA0PzuZpb_w

what's really funny is that the definition of eclectic is: "Deriving ideas, style, or taste from a broad and diverse range of sources" which is another way of saying "anything goes but don't depend on anything going together...." or "let's just through a bunch of crap on the wall and see what sticks...."

I too will try it but to make it a regular if it has regular food it is gonna have to be better than the regular places I already go.

May '13

are bar pies eclectic?

could take a regular burger; do something eclectic to it and name it something that sounds unique and memorable.

" the Great Meadows Angus Steak Burger" or something similar, you get the idea.

get a write up in the paper, tweet it out over that innertube thing and get some buzz going.

hey! how about putting some mozzarella and pizza sauce on top of some french fries and call them 'Pizza Fries', that'll get some buzz. and some business.

maybe the new brew store in h-town could get a deal going and they could feature one of the local home brews as a unique come-on?

ok ok, maybe go out to Waterloo village and hire that 'white-tailed' girl to walk around outside with a sign? that's gotta work. it'll certainly generate a little buzz,

BrotherDog BrotherDog
May '13

I vote for the Waterloo waitresses. Historical preservation is very in right now.

May '13

We could hang one of those maroon street signs on her... preferably on her back, though, we don't want it hanging too low and obscuring the historic district.

ianimal ianimal
May '13

that reminds me...i just passed that new Brew Store on Main St.. What's that all about?

May '13

agreed, we have to preserve the white-tailed, they are an endangered species,

question:

since it's been so long since i was in the hunt for white-tail, are they in season right now?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
May '13

Someone mentioned the owner is also the chef, has he been the chef in any other local restaurant. Can't wait to try it out, I wish them luck.

danicagrl danicagrl
May '13

Looks like they won't be opening this week either. From their Facebook page.....

Some runners are "dashers" who sprint right out of the gate and then there are those who run long distance. We're distance runners requiring a little longer warm up before being let out of the gate. Hang tight folks, we're still in this race to win and we hope you will keep cheering us on...THE TAVERN's been training through an obstacle course and we're mastering endurance! So let's run the race for the prize!!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/THE-TAVERN-Great-Meadows/540905185974356?hc_location=stream

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '13

Thanks Calico for the update. BTW for anyone interested, the Help Wanted signs are still posted on the building as of earlier this morning.

Dear Calico,

Since I am possibly the only person I know without a facebook account, did their post on Facebook report a potential new target opening date?

I am sure to catch you there!

Jun '13

Not yet TRA. I will post the "new" target date on here when and if they post it on Facebook.

Also, according to Facebook, there is great progress on Skoogy's Sports Bar in Harmony. Still expecting an August 1st opening at this point.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '13

I cant offer more advice to the new managers of The Tavern than this. That restaurant at one time had a great Prime Rib at a great price with the other owners. I would like to go there for a good Prime Rib.

from
Jun '13

How do bars survive today? Unless they are in a city area or a hotel, where people don't need to drive home?
It is not like the old days - as someone above said, "a shot and a beer" - or two? and then hop in and drive home.....

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Jun '13

from - that looks gross. YUCK!

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Jun '13

Tuesdays will be $5 burger night at The Tavern. This was posted on their Facebook page.

"Tuesdays are going to be our $5 Burger night. I am a "burger connisseur" and let me tell you, the ideas for building a great burger are endless. Let's hear the faves from FaceBook Tavern followers. Perhaps you will see your favorite burger "build" on our specials menu! I'll go first: Old Fashioned "Dble R" is the juicy flame broiled with shaved "Tavern Ham" (and yes, Pennsylvania folks know what Tavern Ham is: DELICIOUS) piled high, thinly sliced raw onion, thin sliced dill pickle smothered in a creamy horseradish mayonnaise on a sesame seed bun. I'm hungry now."

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '13

"from - that looks gross. YUCK!"

I agree... what the hell is that green stuff on the plate? It's also slightly overcooked (-;

ianimal ianimal
Jun '13

HaHa! Very funny ianimal. Its still friggin' MOOOing on the plate. Cook it before serving it.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Jun '13

try the Inn at Millrace Pond on Thursdays Prime Rib night.

Christine Christine
Jun '13

"How do bars survive today? Unless they are in a city area or a hotel, where people don't need to drive home?"

A-holes drive drunk home from bars all the time. They don't care and neither do the bars. Almost 10K people were killed last year in accidents. I'd be willing to bet that there was easily 1000 times that many people driving drunk last year.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jun '13

Regarding the prime beef, I've had good and bad. I still can't see the attraction to it. You take a great cut of beef made for high heat searing and then slow roast it but not enough to impart any kind of flavor as well as leaving hunks of raw fat on it. Take that thing and put it on some charcoal!

emaxxman emaxxman
Jun '13

There will be too many pubs and not enough volume of people to support them all. Bea's and Marley's have both slowed down . That's my 2 cents

jerseycash5
Jun '13

My best advice to these people who are opening ANY business in Warren County..... ADVERTISE!!! Get the word out, put up signs everywhere! There have been many new places opening, then closing, before we even get a chance to get to them because no one seems to know about them unless they drive by them every day like I do.

My husband and I always complain that there is no place to go for a couple of beers and just to sit at a bar and be adults (ie, a break from three kids!). I hope they consider some type of music, acoustic guitar, or one man band playing some classic rock. We're looking forward to having some place close by!

Paperclip Paperclip
Jun '13

Still not open yet. :( Their Facebook page said they are experiencing technical difficulties. No indication of an opening date at this point.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '13

I passed by this morning at 8AM just like yesterday morning and saw multiple vehicles parked around back of the place. Work inside appears to be ongoing. Hope they can work out the kinks and open soon...

Apparently, there was a soft opening Tuesday. I just saw it on their FB page now.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '13

The soft opening never took place,,. just an fyi

becca becca
Jun '13

Thanks becca.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '13

Any new info on this? The last post on their FB page was about the soft opening back on 6/18.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '13

I drove by today, and there was no activity. Strange they don't update. Was looking forward to trying a new place.

Localgrl Localgrl
Jun '13

This thread is as long as it is taking to have their opening!

I too am just wondering what is going on. They have some great free advertising here- an obvious group that is ready to come in and try it out.

I know they are trying to do it right and not open too soon, but no info or updates is sorta not feeling right either.

If someone that is affiliated with The Tavern is reading this, don't be shy- We Are Future Customers- Let us know what is going on!

Jun '13

I was at the June 6th Liberty Twp meeting where a young man appealed to the committee regarding the opening of the business. From what I remember the ball was in the court of the owner along with his attorney to get paperwork in order. I think it had to do with the liquor license.

lizat
Jun '13

As per their Facebook page from 6/14 there appears to be no holdups due to the liquor license :-)

"Liquor license on the wall, you are the prettiest picture of all!"

As of 8AM this morning the outside remains unchanged. Multiple vehicles parked around back again. Will have to assume some type of work inside is ongoing...

I agree it's probably not the best thing for them to stay quiet with the public as to what is going on. It plants the seed of doubt with many ...

becca becca
Jun '13

No it doesn't look good that they are not updating the public. After all the coming soon sign has been there since Sept 2011. Sounds like poor management.

danicagrl danicagrl
Jun '13

It appears the two vehicles in the parking lot (Ford pickup parked sideways around back & BMW on the side) haven't moved for the last couple days as they have been parked the same way. I passed by at 9PM last night with both vehicles there BUT it was dark inside. Passed by at 8AM this morning and both still parked the same way. I stopped in front of the building and peeked inside but didn't see any sign of anyone. Still no update on the FB page in nearly two weeks. This is getting really strange....

Interesting all around-- Of course, to deepen the plot, or stir the story- could this be the Crystal Swan, Part 2?

So much money went into that place- only to close in 3 months.

Most likely not- but it does make for interesting thought- or grade B plot.

Jun '13

Saw this on Facebook...

Jenny Jump Roadhouse
Yesterday at 1:36pm ·
The day has come! We will be opening the bar on Friday, July 5th at 4p.m.!!!! We still need a few weeks to get the kitchen up and running though. At which time we will do our official "GRAND OPENING". In the meantime, come on down and grab a drink at the bar at least. Hope to see you there and thanks for the patience.

Hackettstownian
Jun '13

Wrong place.

btownguy btownguy
Jun '13

Good news about the JJRH- want to give that a try. I know you were trying to help Hackettstownian- but this thread is about the place a few miles west, in Liberty on Rt.46,The Tavern (The Great Meadows Tavern). Looking fwd to both places actually, something different is worth giving a chance to.

Jun '13

Looks like Jenny Jump is
the old Bar 46? I called The Tavern yesterday and they said they are having problems with the state, didn't elaborate, but hoped to be open soon.

hf456 hf456
Jun '13

Sorry! Know they are different just an update about new places opening in general.

Hackettstownian
Jun '13

Awesome that Jenny Jump Roadhouse is opening! Even if this thread isn't about that place, good to know there will be somewhere to get a beer since the Tavern doesn't seem to be opening

Cheesedoodle Cheesedoodle
Jun '13

The Tavern isnt opening per an employee they hired.

Whowouldathunk Whowouldathunk
Jul '13

Isn't opening period or just for now? What happened?

becca becca
Jul '13

Drove by tonight, only one car in the lot now, even the trucks are gone.

Could the holdup be another potential "Jimmy Hoffa might be buried here" snafu?!

Jul '13

Hmmmmm. Something is really fishy now. LOL TRA.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '13

There was a small notice in the Warren Reporter several weeks ago. The liquor license that was to be used for The Tavern was allowed to lapse. They had petitioned the New Jersey Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control for a renewal.

from
Jul '13

I don't understand why they would not inform the public about the liquor license problem. Don't think that's what it is since there was a facebook post that the license was hung. Anyway it's such a shame. Was in there about a month ago and the place looks great. Hope they are able to iron out any kinks very soon or perhaps share their story with us!

becca becca
Jul '13

Definitely a license issue on the part of the ABC/state from what I've heard. Staff was told to move on.

Hackettstownian
Jul '13

Passed by at 6:30 earlier this evening and there was a Grey Goose delivery truck onsite with it's back doors open. I couldn't tell if they were unloading the truck into the building or the other way around!

I thought that they said on Facebook that the liquor license was hanging on the wall?
Was it revoked, or was it a less than truthful statement?

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Jul '13

They did say that the license was on the wall on June 14th, so who knows WTF is going on? Their last Facebook update was on June 18th.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '13

Went by early this morning, big box truck and van out in the back. Wonder if they are packing up. Terrible from a business aspect, at least let the public know what has happened. What is going on with the manager? Very poor...It's all bizarre ...

becca becca
Jul '13

Bring back the "Sports Bar Coming Soon" banner on the building!

Maybe they are packing up all the stuff and moving it to the old Crystal Swan!

And to think, people were killing them earlier on this thread for their menu, for a place that never opened a day!! that cracks me up too.

(though, on a sad note- if they are backing up the truck to move- someones dream of opening a business may be crushed, along with wasted money)

Jul '13

I agree TRA. Much more sad for the owners. On an up note, Skoogy's Sports Bar in Harmony is still projecting an August 1st opening.

Another sports bar coming soon.........

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '13

Skoogy's sounds gross... I won't be going anywhere near there (-;

ianimal ianimal
Jul '13

Many are leaving very negative input and that's too bad there is a judgment being passed without all the facts. The Liquor License process can be viewed on the State Of New Jersey Website for the public to educate themselves on the process. Also Township Meetings are an open forum for the public to know what is going on in their town. Liquor Licenses run from the period of July 1 through June 30 each year and their are specific requirements that must be met. There is also what is known as an Ad Interim Application process for the trading as aspect and I will allow those who understand business to do the homework. No one at "The Tavern" is deceiving the public, just that something was discovered that needed to be corrected to continue the liquor license process. It would do well for us to have the full understanding! I happen to know the people that are trying to get things going and it has been a grueling process and alot of disappointment with the delays as well as time and money. Sure wish people were more considerate. This is how rumors get started and reputations destroyed. I am a relative of someone involved in the process.

E Marie: Christiana E Marie: Christiana
Jul '13

If that is the case then they should have notified the audience in these forums of the delays. They were silent and that what caused all the speculation. It would have taken as much time as you did to post something.

kb2755 kb2755
Jul '13

Thanks for the update E Marie.

Well said kb2755.

Who wants to Buy and Start a Sports Bar in Byram?

A chance of a lifetime!!! Maybe they went broke but you can make it.

http://www.ajwillnerauctions.com/auctions/byram-nj-commercial-real-estate-auction?utm_source=July+2013+Upcoming+Emails&utm_campaign=June+%2F+July+2013+Upcoming+Auction+Email&utm_medium=email

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Jul '13

kb2755, thank you!

becca becca
Jul '13

Any other updates here?

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '13

Some one was in the The Tavern building on Rt 46 in Great Meadows this afternoon. There was a brown pickup truck parked out front. The front door was open, no other information than that.

HtownForum HtownForum
Aug '13

Went by The Tavern building this afternoon. There is a sign out front " Now Hiring". The covers have been removed from the signs on the building also.

HtownForum HtownForum
Sep '13

So the "Sports Bar Coming Soon" sign is still up?

Looks they are back on track to open.

HtownForum HtownForum
Sep '13

Yea when it opens you'll be able to ice skate on hell and watch pigs fly

Tombo Tombo
Sep '13

I'll believe it when I see it.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '13

There are people in The Tavern restaurant building today working.

HtownForum HtownForum
Sep '13

We are very excited to open The Tavern @Great Meadows this coming Friday, September 20, 2013 for a Soft Opening and we will be OFFICIALLY open on Monday, September 23, 2013. We will be having FOOD and DRINK SPECIALS ..ALL WEEKEND! We look forward to meeting you.

Please like, follow and share the NEW OFFICIAL PAGE
https://www.facebook.com/Thetavernatgreatmeadows

Helia Helia
Sep '13

Wooohooooo!

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '13

I saw the pictures of the bar area- Looks real Good!

Count me in!

Sep '13

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but I only see two TVs. Please don't tell me this going to be a 2-3 TV "sports" bar. The bar area itself looks good.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '13

Their sign doesn't say anything about being a sports bar. Maybe they've scrapped that concept. But, yeah... three TVs isn't a "sports bar"; it's a "bar".

ianimal ianimal
Sep '13

Good point ianimal. I guess my brain is still thinking it's supposed to be a sports bar, due to the banners that hung outside.

That said, even if it's not a sports bar hopefully the food will be decent and it can be another choice for dining in the area. I wish them luck.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '13

There will be more pictures up and there are more tv's we will be updating the facebook page accordingly. We just wanted everyone to know that we will be opening this coming Friday. Along with the Bar area we have a restaurant area that will accomodate 180 people.

We hope to see everyone there.

helia helia
Sep '13

The bar area is also relatively small compared to the dining room, IIRC from when it was Rico's. Maybe they have a lot more TVs in the dining area.

Although if they were going to make it a "sports bar", you would expect the bar to be the focal point, and I would have thought they'd move it to the larger area and expand it. Looks more like they're going for a restaurant with a smaller bar seating area... which is fine. I wish them luck as well.

So, Calico, when are we going? College or pros?

ianimal ianimal
Sep '13

We have more flat screen tv's at the bar and throughout the establishment for everyone's enjoyment.

helia helia
Sep '13

Thanks for the information, Helia. I assume that you were able to get the liquor license issue straightened out? Supposedly, that was the issue that derailed the other restaurateur's plans.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '13

Will the restaurant be open to the general public this Friday at the soft opening?

joyful joyful
Sep '13

If they're mentioning the soft opening on a public site I'm quite sure it's open to the public...

If it was an "exclusive" event like at Bea's I'm sure they wouldn't be advertising it

Sep '13

Somebody better get their ice skates sharpened and be ready for pigs that fly.

HtownForum HtownForum
Sep '13

Everything is on the go for us. As to any issue there might have been, we are not aware. We will be open to the public, feel free to come by.

We hope to meet you all.

helia helia
Sep '13

Along with opening weekend specials. ... We will be having Sunday and Monday Night Football Specials also.

come by

helia helia
Sep '13

helia - Will you be posting a copy of the menu on your FB page soon?

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '13

Yes we will post soon. We are putting the finishing touches on it and once complete. We will share with all.

helia helia
Sep '13

Thanks, Lori....that makes sense but doesn't hurt to ask just to make sure as hella's post said soft opening on Friday and they would be "officially" open on Monday...

joyful joyful
Sep '13

Starting Friday, sep. 20. 2013 for our soft opening and all this weekend we will be featuring a bar menu

Cheese Plate
Charcuterie Plate
Wings
Basket Onion Rings
cheese Nachos add beef or Chicken
fried calamari
crab cake sliders
tavern burger
shrimp garlic sauce
little necks in garlic wine and cilantro sauce
mac and cheese add bacon or shrimp

thank you

Sunday and Saturday Night Football

20 PIECES WINGS $ 6.99

PITCHER BEER $ 15.00
JAMESON CHATS $ 4.50

AND MORE

Yea I better learn to skate n hunt flying pigs ha good deal

Tombo Tombo
Sep '13

Sounds good joao. Questions: The $15 pitchers, what beer does that apply to? Also, how many beers will you have on tap? Your post says Sunday and Saturday night football. Did you mean Sunday and Monday night football or Saturday night college football?

Thanks and best of luck to you.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '13

it says sunday and monday football, just look above

read
Sep '13

Uh, it says this:

Sunday and Saturday Night Football

20 PIECES WINGS $ 6.99

PITCHER BEER $ 15.00
JAMESON CHATS $ 4.50

AND MORE

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '13

I'm looking up further, sorry

read
Sep '13

I apologize for the mix up. Sunday and Monday night football for the beer and wings specials and also the Jameson shots. As of now we are featuring nine different types of beer on tap. What is everyone's opinion of our bar menu?

Sorry everyone here is another special for all to enjoy. A full pitcher of the most delicious sangria around for $22 and $10 for a half pitcher

If I can buy two half pitchers for $20 why would I pay $22 for a full pitcher? Just asking.

kb2755 kb2755
Sep '13

A pitcher of beer is generally 4 glasses. At $15 a pitcher, thats 3.75 a beer. No bargain there, especially if its domestic.

Give us a reason to come out on Sunday and Monday nights...

willy
Sep '13

I am really amazed at some of the comments here. You complain when there is no information, then when info comes out you complain about everything posted. I suggest you go when the place actually opens, drink the beer, measure the glasses/pitchers, taste the food, look the place over then comment, until then take a rest.

eapos eapos
Sep '13

Thanks joao.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '13

We are very eager to Open this Friday and hope to meet each and every one of you, so stop in and enjoy the food, drinks and atmosphere.

See you all soon.
Thanks.

Helia Helia
Sep '13

@Eapos

Your so right!

We can always destroy a restaurant on Yelp Later!!

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Sep '13

"Everything is on the go for us. As to any issue there might have been, we are not aware. We will be open to the public, feel free to come by.

We hope to meet you all. "

I am a local of Great Meadows, how could you now take over this restaurant and not be aware of the issues? Everyone else in town has a good idea... I heard many were offered jobs and actually invested time to not be paid a single dime. I guess time will only tell to see what kind of business it shall do...

notbuyingit notbuyingit
Sep '13

Again, I will advise all that we are not the same people that were set to open a few months ago.

Thank you.

Helia Helia
Sep '13

Dear Customers,

Through this post we want to inform that The Tavern @ Great Meadows is under new administration since the beginning of this month. We have the satisfaction to inform you that we will open on the next Friday, September 20th at 4pm. The new administration it is repaginating the ambience, innovating and readapting the space to better serve our customers. Entire local community invited to visit us!

The kitchen staff, headed by Chef James Roddy, who came especially from the region of Boston, will introduce the steak house concept with a combination of seafood harmonized with a select wine list.

Also we will have express lunch, with special suggestions and balanced food. At the bar, we will serve delicious appetizers and sandwiches, accompanied by the coldest beer of the area. Come to watch all the games with us!

Our intention is to value the local products, so we would like to establish contact with the farmers of organic food, valuing and encouraging the local economy.

We would like to emphasize that we will take care of The Tavern, of our customers and employees, and we will be present every day in the salon, in the kitchen, at the bar and also supporting community events.

To all customers who had inconveniences with the previous owner our sincere apologies. We are taking on a challenge of providing the best service, in addition to a new gastronomic experience to you all.

Our direction is open to suggestions and critiques, to encourage us to constantly improve our relationship with our customers.

Please come visit our new concept of service and food from next Friday!

Sincerely,

Peter and John, the new owners

Can't wait to try your new restaurant! I really hope it does fantastically - that area could really use a great place like yours!

LOVE to hear that you will be forming relationships with local organic farmers.

You keep up the quality of food and we'll keep coming! :)

Best of luck - Peter and John!

Jules Jules
Sep '13

I can't imagine anything else the new owners could have said to calm anyones nerves or bad taste left by the previous attempt at opening than what they just posted above.

I will be stopping by this weekend gentlemen- and hope my experience makes me a return customer,

Good Luck- and thanks for coming to this forum- and giving some real information and feedback to us also- that communication is a great start,

See you over the weekend!

Sep '13

What actually happened with the previous attempt to open?

Hector
Sep '13

I'll be there fri afternoon.
Thanks for the info.

MikeL MikeL
Sep '13

Are these new Owners or new Managers? I can't imagine a sale of this type of business could go through in a couple of months. (Yes, I know they said Owners, but it seems odd...)
Either way, I wish them the best of luck and will be there soon to check it out.

Music gal Music gal
Sep '13

Shrimp in Garlic Sauce on the menu, sounds like Joao is from Portugal as most Portuguese places have that on the menu.

kb2755 kb2755
Sep '13

Best of luck in your new business, I will be up to check it some time, don't let these negative post hurt your grand opening

Did anybody check it out yesterday?

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '13

I did. Had some beers, chatted with some of the workers and the owner (or one of them). I had a burger with fries. Burger was topped with some cheese, and a great onion/mushroom thing. I asked for medium rare and it was more medium, but still good. Fries were your general freezer bag to fryer variety and a little undercooked - but then again, I like a borderline burnt fry. Someone else had wings and those were good.

Overall, it was nice people, a nice place and good food.

btownguy btownguy
Sep '13

Pic attaches of burger. They said they're changing the rolls soon.

btownguy btownguy
Sep '13

Looks like they need to up the fries, too. I never understood why a restaurant doesn't use the best fries they can get. They should be lightly seasoned and hearty! Will there be any music?

Firefly Firefly
Sep '13

They had some jukebox stuff going on. They are working on plans for live music.

btownguy btownguy
Sep '13

Thank you so much for your support. We are working on getting live music and would like any suggestions from our clients. Please feel free to contact me directly (John)

If you have any suggestions for live music please contact me directly (908)799-3127

Thanks, John

John - Not having been in yet, I don't know your set up in regards to space. Can you accommodate full bands or just solo acts and duos?

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '13

Just solo our duos thank you for asking

Great place. Went this afternoon, nice bar crowd.
Excellent service & the Shrimp in Garlic sauce was awesome.
John, one of the owners was very friendly & attentive.
Also met Chef James, again very nice.
All the food I saw coming out looked great & everyone seemed pleased.
Portion size was generous & prices reasonable.
Going back tomorrow for more.

MikeL MikeL
Sep '13

If you want a full house- Quimby Mountain Band but they are bigger than a duo

Nosila Nosila
Sep '13

Awesome place! Food was Great! Friendly service! Nice crowd! Will definitely be back again and again! Thanks, John!

Suezee Suezee
Sep '13

We would like to thank you for coming by and all your absolute amazing support.

Thank you again.

Helia Helia
Sep '13

We would also like to let you all know, we are working on getting live music for all to enjoy this week. We will keep you posted.

Helia Helia
Sep '13

Thanks very much guys for all your support....John and I already feel at home!!!! Very soon we will post our entire menu... I hope you guys like it!!!
Peter from The Tavern

The Tavern
Sep '13

Dear All:

Starting this Friday, September 27th. We will have available our complete MENU for your enjoyment. Along with this Menu, there will be daily specials available for both Lunch & Dinner and anything in between. We cannot wait to be able to provide you with the absolute best.

Thank you. We hope to see you all very soon !!!

John & Peter
THE TAVERN

helia helia
Sep '13

Is the menu posted anywhere?

btownguy btownguy
Sep '13

Changing my tune on the tavern, unfortunately.

Went in for dinner last night and got seated quickly. Our waitress must be new, as she seemed very frazzled by only 5-6 tables. Got water immediately and then waited at least ten minutes to order as our waitress ran around attending to others and giving tables incorrect checks (that's an observation, not a guarantee, just what I saw). Asked for an Angry Orchard and she was unfamiliar with many of the bar offerings so I stuck with water.

After orders were in, we received bread and butter. And then I noticed a LOT of bread and butter coming out of the kitchen and not much food. Overall, we waited almost an hour for two burgers. The burgers were not as good as the soft opening. They're gigantic (about an inch or inch and a half) and barely able to fit in your mouth - but were bland and lacked some seasoning IMHO. Fries were frozen McDonalds type but cooked crispy.

Overall, we were talking about walking out when our food finally came. It was opening with the full menu, so I'm sure it was crazy in the kitchen. That said, not a good second impression and I'm rooting for this place! I will give it a second (third) shot in a few weeks once they've hit their groove.

Regardless of my experience, I still wish best of luck. I want a local bar with good eats without driving to Htown or Columbia!

btownguy btownguy
Sep '13

We plan on trying The Tavern tonight.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '13

btownguy, try the pork roll and cheese at Felix's. It's "to die for" (-;

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Sep '13

btownguy......what's in Columbia?

tidy
Sep '13

Probably the Log Cabin on rt 46. Great pizza and great food.

Sep '13

There's Dalton's Columbia Inn as well.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '13

Bingo. Log cabin or Dalton's.

btownguy btownguy
Sep '13

The girls and I went in last night for Happy Hour and an app. They were very busy - it's a new place, menu, servers, routines, chefs etc. Things will settle down. Keep giving feedback and be patient. It wasn't great but will give it another chance soon. Bartenders were awesome!

Firefly Firefly
Sep '13

Just the facts - Slow service. 10 minutes for our waitress to come to our table. 1 hour for our order to come out of the kitchen. Waitress states kitchen was swamped and computer system not working right. 2 hamburgers and fish n chips were okay. Felt sorry for the waitress. No one from management came by or offered us anything. Customer service needs improvement. Won't be going back for awhile.

Mike L Mike L
Sep '13

Some of you people really crack me up, if you can find anything to pick on you will. Can't you just go out and enjoy yourselves for what it is. If you want fast service I recommend Macdonalds or Burger King! Personally, I like to take my time when going out. Have a few cocktails socialize enjoy the atmosphere, hate being rushed thru dinner. The Tavern has been opened a week for Christ sake, lighten up! The Great Meadows area has needed an alternative to the other place for a long time!!! As far as im concerned its welcome with open arms!!! Best of luck Tavern!

All the criticals are welcome...we are trying to improve yourselfs to do the best service we can and you guys deserve.... Like someone said in one post before we had problems with the computer sistem that the reason for some delays on the food....
Step by step we will give you the service you guys deserve!!! Thanks so much for support!!!

Peter & John
The Tavern

The Tavern
Sep '13

RM,

I see your point, but everyone is being fairly polite about it. Isn't it better that the restaurant gets the feedback so they know how to improve?

I agree about the service. It was terrible. Drinks took 10+ minutes to get, dinner over an hour. A table next to us waited an hour for two burgers. The food was not bad at all, but it was much more expensive than I was expecting. $17 for fish and chips? $9 for a vodka and club? That's certainly not a Warren County drink price.

They place looks really nice inside. Will probably try it again in a couple months and see if they have worked the service kinks out.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '13

I had a similar experience this past week- while service was excellent- I was only sitting at the bar for drinks- the price of the drinks themselves were out of line with what I am used to paying in similar places.

Blue Moon on tap- $5- okay- a little high- I have had it for less other places - it is a premium beer- I get it.

My next selection Yuengling is where they went off the rails. First- they had none on tap. I understand- it happens.

I switched from the Blue Moon because I didn't want to spend as much on beer- that simple.

I had 3 bottles of Yuengling- at a whopping $15 dollars! 5 dollars a bottle for Yuengling is out of line with any pricing structure in the area. (and generally the tap beer price is lower- since they were out of Yuengling draft-I would have thought it appropriate to offer me the draft price for the bottles)

I liked the vibe there- I will go back- but if they choose to keep their current pricing structure- they may find a lot of customers might migrate back to their old haunts.

They are a business and want a return on investment- but those prices won't work for the long haul.

Sep '13

Went in for dinner last night. They are trying to iron out the wrinkles all new places experience. Still a little slow but I like taking my time over dinner anyway. The food was fantastic. I had a rib eye steak that was cooked to perfection. My wife had the scallops which she loved. Best shrimp and garlic I have ever had. I'll be going back!

Calico and RA, I agree with your point about prices. After the initial buzz of the new business, the "regulars" will keep the business afloat. Unfortunately, at those prices I don't see many regulars especially here in Warren County.

Mike L Mike L
Sep '13

So here is some advice when there are long waits - owners need to talk to the customers and be real...tell the truth about why it's taking so long. Offer some pretzels or something to nosh on. People just want to be acknowledged...pretending there isn't a problem is never good. Be prepared for Plan B if your computer system goes down - educate your servers prior to their shift about the food - one place I worked at actually had each "special" prepared at the start of shift and we were all required to taste it so we could then "sell" it. How can you sell something that you know nothing about?

Firefly Firefly
Sep '13

I liked it

happiness
Sep '13

Good points Firefly.

Sep '13

prices are too high, i won't be going there, sad, because i would like to support a local business

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Sep '13

This is the norm for this forum! So many professional food critics in the area! Bea's got bashed when they opened, Gabby's Pizza and the other pizza/italian place which is where Pietro's used to be, got bashed as well, now the Tavern is the target!... This was their first weekend, give them a little time!

bruce juice
Sep '13

Bashed? Who bashed them? People gave opinions, respectfully. I would certainly think that the service will improve in time. That won't help with the overpricing though.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '13

It is not fair to judge a restaurant for at least 6 months after opening. All restaurants need time to adjust menu, train both Wait staff and Kitchen staff. (If place is just bad it will be closed by then.)

Pretty sure no one here bashed the restaurant. I know I didn't. I pointed out the flaws but didn't say "THIS PLACE SUCKS IM NEVER GOING BACK". In fact, no one did. There are comments about the price of food or beer, quality of service, but most are attributed to "opening weekend bumps".

btownguy btownguy
Sep '13

This is a business. You are paying for the atmosphere. If the owners are going to have live music, I would expect to pay a little more for my food and drink..the band isn't going to play for free. If all I'm interested in is a cheap drink I can stay home!

Lady Jayne Lady Jayne
Sep '13

Dear All...

Thank you to all for your support again each and everyday. We, here at The Tavern want to share our passion for the business with all of our guests. We hope to provide our guests with the best quality ingredients, outstanding service and an unforgettable atmosphere. We are committed to provide you with the highest quality meals. We aspire to have our guests come into The Tavern and have a unique dining experience each and every time.

It is with our acknowledgement of the business that we are committed in providing exceptional customer service, and with our respect of quality food, that inspired us to bring you, The Tavern

John and Peter
The Tavern

The Tavern The Tavern
Sep '13

Well said Lady Jayne!

outsider outsider
Sep '13

It's amazing to me how often most people on this site miss the point. I was not looking for cheap drinks, I was expecting a fair price. If I want cheap drinks only, I will drink at the firehouse, the Legion hall or home as stated above.

$9 for a vodka and club is not a fair price for Warren County. Manhattan, maybe. Yesterday, I was in a restaurant that I frequent in Hunterdon County. A vodka and club is $6.50 there. Certainly, not a "cheap" drink, but not $9 either. $9 is outrageous to me. As well as $5 for a Yuengling as stated by TRA above.

I had two drinks and a salad with grilled chicken. The salad was $10 (reasonable). Should it really cost over $30 for two drinks and a salad after tax and tip? Not in my book.

When we decide to try The Tavern again, you can be sure that I will not be having a mixed drink.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '13

well said Calico, you get it

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Sep '13

I don't think you'll find too many places in Manhattan where you can get a cocktail for $9. I think for a restaurant that's a fair price. I would expect less in more of a bar setting.

Kate S. Kate S.
Sep '13

If I am going to spend my hard earned money on an evening out, I have the right to be judge of the value received.

Why should I give them months to get it straight. They should be working things out before they open.

The criticism has been fair. I too was a little surprised at the drink prices.

willy
Sep '13

Bea's charges $4.50 for Yuengling draught... $5 for a bottle isn't terribly out of line with that. They have Corona Light in both forms... $4.50 draught, 4.75 bottle.

$9 for a mixed drink is ok if they are serving doubles in pint glasses... I would be a bit put off getting a $9 measured pour in a highball glass, though.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '13

Went to the Tavern Saturday night. We waited and waited and waited, but I said to hubby be patient as it's all new and they have to work out the quirks. Food was really good; however, they were out of the scallops that we ordered. Okay, I then ordered the Halibut not knowing how much it was. I almost fainted when we got the bill. $27.00 for a piece of fish. Too expensive. This tavern will never survive as the previous restaurants because the prices are too high. I did like the atmosphere and the owners did come over to us. Their sangria is awsum (white and red). Prices have to come down though.

Since the restaurant was delayed in its opening by several months and purchasing the liquor license which is very expensive, it appears they are trying to make up for lost business which unfortuntately gets passed through to the customer. I do wish them the very best but as other have pointed out the pricing needs to be adjusted.

Mike L Mike L
Oct '13

I had the burger for lunch last week. Went back for it this week and I was shocked to find it went from $8.00 to $14.00 for the same thing. DONE

SHRIMP COCKTAIL
collassal shrimp, homemade cocktail sauce $11
GARLIC SHRIMP
pink shrimp, garlic, olive oil, herbs $11
FRIED CALAMARI
crispy, breaded calamari rings, jalapeño corn relish $9
TAVERN CLAMS
little neck clams, chourico, garlic, olive oil, herbs $9
CRAB CAKE
crab meat, tavern tartar sauce $9.5
CRAB CAKE SLIDERS
lump crabmeat, lettuce, tavern tartar sauce, portuguese rustic
bread $10
PORTUGUESE SAUSAGE
chourico, garlic, olive oil $10
CHEESE PLATE
manchego, danish blue, brie, goat cheese, serrano cheese, $11
CHARCUTERIE PLATE
capicola, cornichons, iberico ham, prosciutto, whole grain
mustard $15
TAVERN WINGS
chicken wing: buffalo, terriyaki , sweet & spicy $8
CHICKEN TACOS
$6.5
TAVERN'DILLA
grilled chicken or grilled steak quesadilla $6.5
SALADS
CAESAR SALAD
romaine, fresh parmesan, croutons, black pepper, garlic
anchovy dressing
add chicken ($4) add shrimp ($7) $6
SPINACH SALAD
baby spinach, blue cheese, crostino, walnuts, bacon
sherry vinaigrette
HOUSE SALAD
field greens, carrots, cucumber, tomato, ranch dressing
SOUPS
Seafood Soup
shrimp, clams, mussels, scallops $8.5
French Onion
caramelized onions, gruyere, scallions, croutons $5.5
Tomato Basil Bisque
tomato, basil, cream $5
FROM THE LAND
RIB EYE STEAK
grilled, mushroom demi glace, creamy mashed potato, haricot
$26
PORTER HOUSE . 16OZ
potato wedges, asparagus, whole grain mustard cream $28
FILET MIGNON
roasted potatoes, asparagus, port wine reduction $27
NY STRIP. 14OZ
mashed potatoes, green beans, horseradish cream $29
LAMB CHOPS
lamb chops, roasted potatoes, asparugus, mint demi glacé $24
VEAL CHOPS
grilled veal chops, mashed potatoes, spring beans $22
DOUBLE CUT PORKCHOP
sweet potato puree, vegetable medley, bacon apple jam $18
ROASTED CHICKEN
Herb roasted chicken, mashed potato, pepper gravy $17
TAVERN BURGER
10oz house blend, lettuce, tomato, caramelized onions,
mushrooms, swiss cheese, rustic portuguese roll $12
FROM THE SEA
TUNA NICOISE
haricot, hard boiled egg, stinky olive vinagrette $24
PAN SEARED ATLANTIC SALMON
atlantic salmon, roasted garlic risotto, sauteed garlic
spinach $18
PAN SEARED SCALLOPS
mashed potato, garlic, beans, lemon brown butter $23
TAVERN FISH & CHIPS
day boat whitefish, tavern tartar , lemon, french fries $16
PASTAS
SEAFOOD LINGUINE
linguine prepared in a white wine butter with clams,
mussels, shrimp and scallops $22
TAVERN MAC "N" CHEESE
elbow macaroni, creamy bechamel sauce, garlic crumb
topping
add chicken ($4) add shrimp ($7) $9
KIDS CORNER
KIDS MAC N' CHEESE
elbow macaroni, bechamel $5
KIDS BURGER
1 kid friendly burger, veggies or french fries $6
CHICKEN FINGERS
breaded white chicken, veggies or french fries $5

nightly bar specials
MONDAY - FRIDAY HAPPY HOUR
3PM - 7PM
Draft beer 2.5 domestic
Shots 4
Mix drinks 6

SUNDAY- sunday night football
35 cent wings: teriyaki, buffalo, sweet & spicy
$12 Domestic Beer Pitchers

MONDAY- monday night football & burger
night
$8
10 oz. house blend, lettuce, tomato, caramelized
onions, mushrooms, swiss cheese, rustic portuguese
bread

WEDNESDAY - ladies night
$5-Martini's for the Ladies all night

THURSDAY- live music

FRIDAY- live music

STARTERS lunch menu
Nachos Grande $8
tortilla chips, nacho cheese, pico de
gallo, guacamole, sour cream
add chicken ($4) add beef (5)
Chicken Wings $8
original, buffalo, teriyaki, sweet &
spicy
SALADS
House Salad $6
field greens, carrots, cucumber,
tomato, ranch dressing
add chicken ($4) add shrimp ($7)
Caesar Salad $6
romaine, fresh parmesan, croutons,
black pepper, garlic anchovy
dressing
Spinach Salad $6
baby spinach, blue cheese, crostino,
walnuts, bacon sherry vinaigrette
SANDWICHES & WRAPS
served with french fries
Tavern Burger $12
10 oz. house blend, lettuce, tomato, caramelized onions,
mushrooms, swiss cheese, rustic portuguese bread
Lobster Roll $14
lobster salad, toasted roll
Philly Cheese Steak $8
steak, cheese, onions, mushrooms
Chicken Philly Cheese Steak $8
chicken, cheese, onions, mushrooms
Pulled Pork $9
pork shoulder, bourbon peach BBQ, cheddar,
BLT $7
hickory bacon, green leaf lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise, sourdough
bread
Buffalo Chicken $8
buffalo chicken, blue cheese dressing, tomato
Chicken Caesar $8
chicken, lettuce, caesar dressing
Chicken Salad $9
creamy chicken salad, lettuce, tomato
SOUPS
Seafood Soup $8.50
shrimp, clams, mussels, scallops
French Onion $5.50
caramelized onions, gruyere, scallions, croutons
Tomato Basil Bisque $5
tomato, basil, cream

FYI - The $29 NY Strip steak is nowhere even near 14 oz. One of the people in our group ordered it.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '13

Yesterday the menu I was given stated the burger was $14.00

The fish and chips were $17 on Saturday night, now listed as $16. Maybe they are heeding the advice of reviewers.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '13

If you wanna bring 'em in and keep 'em coming back... add Filet on a Stone to the menu. People love the experience... my buddies and I drive all the way to Newark every other month just to get our fix. If I could get it closer, I would.

Offer the option to get the other steaks "Portuguese-style" with the ham and fried egg on top for an additional 4 or $5.

Also, if you have a good recipe, add some picadinho to the menu, at least as a special one night a week. Once people try it, they'll love it.

A Febras (breaded pork cutlet) sandwich on a Portuguese roll would make a great addition to your bar menu. People can get wings and steak sandwiches anywhere... offer them something unique to the area.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '13

ianimal - They have steak on the stone at Valenca in Easton. I've never had it, so I can't tell you if it's any good.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '13

thank;s this weekend we have in the special the portuguese steak and coming soon the bife na pedra ( just waiting the stones coming from portugal )

this weekend surf and turf 6 oz lobster tail 8 oz fillet mignon $ 25 hum nice deal

Where are the "normal" beer prices?

May as well post those- everything else is there-

And thanks for posting joao- and not backing away from "critique" or "critisicm"-

I want your place to do well- and I believe all these "locals" that are posting here want the same thing-

We don't expect something for nothing- your success will revolve around keeping customers- and I am willing to pay for quality.

Just not $5 for a bottle of Yuengling!

Oct '13

We change the price in the yuengling also 3.75 pint 16 oz

A 10 ounce Burger? Boy they seem to be getting bigger and bigger, soon we will have a 1 pounder. Seriously, go with a 8 ounce burger and keep it under 10 bucks. While I also don't mind paying for great food but I think the pricing is too high for here in Warren County. JMHO.

kb2755 kb2755
Oct '13

I agree regarding the burger. It's too much meat (that's what she said). And I love a big honkin' burger, but it's just too big. Something a little smaller and season the heck out of it!

btownguy btownguy
Oct '13

Thursday Live Music, ladies just pay $ 5.00 martinis...........

Calico, had a bad experience at Valenca a couple of years ago; haven't been back. Don't think they had the Bife na pedra at the time... too bad, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '13

I'm a local business owner in town so I understand constructive criticism can be helpful. I also know it can be a little hard to hear at times. So in an effort to be helpful without being to cruel I'm going to quickly point out the things my family and I noticed when eating at your restaurant/sports bar. First off you can't call yourself a sportsbar with those prices and menu items. I understand how costs come into effect when it comes to pricing your menu. However that is precisely why you provide a substantial amount of cheaper fare as well. Especially in a "sports bar". Also your "pasta" selection..... It literally consist of two items, Seafood linguine and Mac and cheese. Pastas are the base of almost any menu and yours has only two. One specialty pasta and one basic and boring. You also have your New York strip priced higher than your filet minon. Regardless of quality of ingredients people in general view filet minon as a higher ticket item and New York strip as a basic steak selection. In general our opinion is that your menu needs a lot of work. The environment and service was wonderful. However customers out to enjoy the ambiance of a restaurant don't pay the bills. Also...try serving your calamari with a basic cup of red sauce ALONG with that strange corn chowder sauce. It wasn't terrible, just keep in mind where you are.

Steve s.
Oct '13

Also not to beat a guy while he's down. But the comments saying "they're new they need time to figure things out" is TERRIBLE advice. Don't take your time responding to these comments. If you agree with any of this ACT NOW! First impressions by early patrons can make or break a place. Negative word of mouth travels just as swiftly as positive. Also if you have a menu item that people respond to well suggestively sell it as much as you can and or give it away to people. Especially big groups. That is all

Steve s.
Oct '13

Steve, in the ny strip its a 14 oz Sirloin Angus choice 35 % The exact same price than top beef Tenderloin Between 10.35 to 10.95 lbs the tenderloin its 8 - 10 oz, i think i answer your concern,
thanks for your concern
Joao Miranda

The Prices to Sunday and Monday football days are:

Sangria big pitcher $ 18.00
domestic Beer pitcher $ 12
Pabst cans 16 oz $ 2.50

Food Special ( $ 5.00 )

nachos chicken or beef
fried Calamari
Fish Tacos
Pop corn Shrimp

$ 35 cents jumbo wings

bar bites

Shrimp Cocktail
collassal shrimp, homemade cocktail sauce $11
Fried Calamari
crispy, breaded calamari rings, jalapeño corn relish
$9
Tavern Clams
little neck clams, choruico, garlic, olive oil, herbs $9
Garlic Shrimp
pink shrimp, garlic, olive oil, herbs $11
Crab Cake Sliders
lump crabmeat, lettuce, tavern tartar sauce,
portuguese rustic bread $10
Crab Cake
crab meat, tavern tartar sauce $9.5
Tavern Wings
chicken wing: buffalo, teriyaki , sweet & spicy $8
Charcuterie Plate
capicola, cornichons, iberico ham, prosciutto, whole
grain mustard $15
Portuguese Sausage
chourico, garlic, olive oil $10
Cheese Plate
manchego, danish blue, brie, goat cheese, serrano
cheese, $11
Nachos Grande
tortilla chips, nacho cheese, pico de gallo, guacamole,
sour cream
add chicken ($4) add beef (5) $8
Tavern'Dilla
grilled chicken or grilled steak quesadilla 6.5

Not concerns just outside perspectives. I want your business to do well. And my point about the ny strip vs the filet wasn't about cost but consumer perspective. If your finding that cut close to the same price as tenderloin you should still price the tenderloin higher. It's perceived to be a more expensive cut by your general consumer.

Steve s.
Oct '13

although the locals aren't used to paying these prices they need to go in and try the food. i've tried the strip and the ribeye both pieces of meat melted in my mouth. as for the comments on the burger why do what everyone else does. if it is to much for you to eat just cut it in half and have left over for lunch the next day then you get 2 meals and then maybe you won't mind paying $12. you pay at least $6 for a meal at mcdonalds right? i'm sure they are just getting a feel for what is reasonable pricing for the quality of food they provide in the area. if you want a cheap steak go to applebees or ruby tuesdays but you might just be guessing is this really beef?

flash42 flash42
Oct '13

When I think sport bar I'm thinking more in lines of.....loaded fries, awesome wings, burgers, nachos, pizzas and that type of food. I would not expect a sports bar to have entrees over $20.00.

I think you need to dummy down the menu. It's not only Warren County but it's Great Meadows....most people are simple people all they want is some good beer and good lower priced food.

I would say if you had a menu of burgers, cheese steaks, fries and that type of food you would prob make more money that selling $27 entrees.

Nosila Nosila
Oct '13

Nosila - I agree - Whatever happened to loaded potato skins? and Nachos have got to be one of the easiest items to make but please get rid of the liquid cheese.

Sometimes in an effort to meet the needs of all patrons a restaurant will fail to find it's specialty. Find a food and do it GREAT! Better than anyone else! Find your niche and cater to your target market.

Right now the walls are bare in the dining area - figure out who you are in that area and create your décor. I think it would be pretty cool to feature old photos of the area ( in black and white) that area is known for it's farms and local families.
It would be easy to form a barrier with curtains to close off the bar area..maybe not all the time but during the more traditional "dining hours" on Fri and Sat night and then have them opened at other times. The lighting needs to be lowered or shaded differently. Personally speaking lighting is very important to me. I want to be able to see my food but feel as though my table is the only one there. The staff should not line up by the kitchen door. Put some cheapo salty something or other to nosh on at the bar.

Just some suggestions from someone that has exp in the food biz, likes to eat/drink out on a reg basis. I sincerely wish you success!

Firefly Firefly
Oct '13

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the current incarnation is a "Sports Bar." That goes back to 2 years ago. None of the current marketing (or name) represents itself as such.

Music gal Music gal
Oct '13

I used to get the steak on a stone at Taste of Portugal in Newark. Not just a meal but an experience with a big hunk of garlic butter on the side. The steak is flash broiled and bought to your table with a very hot stone. You slice it and it cooks on the stone in front of you. When it's done to your liking, add your garlic butter and eat. I will definitely try it at the Tavern when it arrives on the menu! As far as prices go? The food is worth it as long as you get enough. (which I have). The drinks can come down some. Liquor prices can make or break any place, especially in The Meadows!

Coming soon Bife na Pedra.............

We had dinner at The Tavern on Sunday night. I loved the burger although it was huge and I couldn't finish it, the roll was great, it was from a bakery in Newark. My son had the NY Strip and he said it was delicious. I would like to see more lower priced items on the menu but over all it was really nice. We usually eat out Saturday & Sunday nights so we appreciate local options and have been looking forward to this place opening. We will definitely go back but we try to keep our "regular" weekend spots to places that offer both a full dinner and lighter fare on the menu. I didn't see a lot of the things shown above as options on the menu, maybe there is a bar menu I didn't see or the lunch menu has other options. The prices are a little high for the area but the food was very good. I wish them success and will try to do my part to help this restaurant succeed.

Margaret59 Margaret59
Oct '13

some people do not WANT a seasoned burger. Not mine. I would love to find a place that has a nice big cheeseburger with no seasoning please as I'm on a sodium restricted diet. Also, for $12 (or whatever), I hope that this includes a few fries and a pickle spear. Who cares the size. It's still pricey and then, maybe I can't eat the whole thing.
Also...I am just so taken aback on the prices of the steaks. A steak should never be that expensive. And then people want a drink with it?! Does the steak come with a choice of potato and a salad or steamed brocolli (or some type of fresh vegetable). I just love a steak but would never even pay $22 for a steak without at least a tossed salad and a potato with it. Im just shocked!

Oct '13

I'm sure people can ask for a non-seasoned burger, that's not really a hard thing for a kitchen to manage. As for being shocked, I get it that the prices are high, but shocked? Go to Mickey D's for your non-seasoned burger at a non-shocking price, LOL

I wish this place the best. I feel they're getting good feedback, and good suggestions. For their sake I hope they heed the advice :)

Oct '13

You wouldn't pay $22 for a steak? Let me guess... you're a big Sizzler fan? LOL, j/k... but seriously, the only place you're getting a steak less than that is the steak and eggs special at the local diner or the shoeleather sirloin at Applebee's.

Hell, decent steak is $13 a pound in the supermarket if it's not on sale... how is someone going to make money selling a 16-oz porterhouse for less than $20?

p.s. the steaks all come with potato and a vegetable per the menu posted.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '13

The steaks all come with sides. Two people in my party ordered steaks and they both came with sides. I can't remember what they were, but I know the sides included in the price.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '13

Ordered the lamb tasted cheap and it was fatty my fiance ordered porter house and it was not a porter house steak it was cooked in the flat grill and our sides were cold...65$ and it was terrible we will stick to Bea McNally's...their Kahlua steak is awesome as well as their skirt steak

cookie1387 cookie1387
Oct '13

I had dinner tonight here at The Tavern and not only was my dinner delicious but the service was awesome. We were a family of four we had the portuguese steak, shrimp scampi, filet mignon and a children's burger. We also had possibly the most drlicious sangria i've ever had and we tried their brazilian drink caipirinha.. AMAZING we will definitely be returning.

Sarahh Sarahh
Oct '13

Reading all these comments some which were good, some bad, it is hard to make everyone happy and when it comes to food everyone has a different opinion. Regarding prices, no complaints since the food is excellent and a large portion.

So saying that, my opinion is the food is awesome, the atmosphere,the staff and the owners are really nice and friendly. They buy their customers drinks and if you are not satisfied with the food, tell them do not bash them.

Only opened 2 weeks, so give your local business a chance. Just my opinion.

Looking forward to going back for Sunday football.

My opinion My opinion
Oct '13

I enjoyed the bar more than dinner....

stressed out again stressed out again
Oct '13

Had dinner there on Fri night. The steamed clams were great and the Burgers we ordered were done perfect....we order them rare or med rare, too often they come out medium....My friend had glass of wine which was $6.50 but a larger amount then usual at other places. Service was very attentive. We will be regulars. Give them a chance Folks. We really want them to do well and stay !!! I say Thank You to the owners for Giving Warren Cty and Great Meadows a shot

Jo Anne Jo Anne
Oct '13

Best part of the meal was the bread. The dinner was very disappointing. The stuffed mushroom appy was lacking in flavor - probably frozen. My linguini w/clams, mussels, shrimp,scallops had a very odd flavor - not good. It had pieces of mozzarella in it and shouldn't have and broken little shell bits. My husband's strip steak from the specials was ordered medium but cooked well done and very fatty. His merlot was good, but I ordered white zin and they brought me a rose and never told me they didn't have white zin. We have heard mixed reviews, mostly poor but wanted to give it a try since it is so close to home. Unfortunately we will not be back.

We ate there Tuesday night. The food was very good; the wait staff and bar tender were terrific. We'll be back. (PS: the bread was exceptional).

Any new restaurant has kinks to be worked out. Give this place some time.

How much time? They have been open for 6 weeks or so. That should be enough time to work out kinks. I originally planned on trying it again, but word on the street has been so bad that I may not.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '13

NEW MENU

STARTERS
SHRIMP COCKTAIL $10.95
colossal shrimp, homemade cocktail sauce
GARLIC SHRIMP $9.95
pink shrimp, garlic, olive oil, herbs
FRIED CALAMARI $9.95
crispy, breaded calamari rings, marinara sauce
TAVERN CLAMS $9.95
little neck clams, chourico, garlic, olive oil, herbs
CRAB CAKE $9.95
lump crabmeat, tavern tartar sauce
SAUSAGE WITH SHRIMP $11.95
Portuguese chourico, shrimp, peppers, onions, olive oil
PORTUGUESE SAUSAGE $9.95
Chourico flambéed tableside on a special Portuguese clay dish
TAVERN WINGS $7.95
chicken wings: buffalo, teriyaki , sweet & spicy & barbecue
CHICKEN TACOS $6.95

TAVERN MAC N' CHEESE $6.95
elbow macaroni, béchamel sauce, garlic crumb topping
TAVERN'DILLA $6.95
grilled chicken or grilled steak quesadilla
POTATO SKINS OR PIEROGIES, $4.95

CHEESE FRIES OR GRAVY FRIES $4.95

SALADS
CAESAR SALAD $5.95
romaine, fresh parmesan, croutons, black pepper, garlic anchovy
dressing
HOUSE SALAD $5.95
field greens,carrots, cucumber, tomato, ranch dressing
SOUPS
Seafood Soup $11.95
shrimp, clams, mussels, scallops
French Onion $5.50
caramelized onions, gruyere, scallions, croutons
KIDS CORNER
Kid's Burger $6.00
1 kid friendly burger, veggies or french fries
Kid's Chicken Fingers $5.00
breaded white chicken, veggies or french fries
Kid's Mac n' Cheese $5.00
elbow macaroni, béchamel sauce
Penne Vodka $5.00
kid friendly pasta
FROM THE LAND
STEAK AU POIVRE $23.95
rib-eye, heavy cream, peppercorns
BIFE À PORTUGUESA $15.95
Steak braised in Portuguese style sauce, seasoned & topped with ham & egg
RIB-EYE STEAK $23.95
grilled, french fries, rice, vegetables
ESPETADA DE CARNE $16.95
grilled pork, beef, chourico, peppers, onions on skewer
TAVERN BURGER $11.95
10oz house blend, lettuce, tomato, caramelized onions, mushrooms, swiss
cheese, rustic portuguese roll
VEAL FRANCAISE W/ LINGUINI $16.95

VEAL PARMIGIANA W/ LINGUINI $16.95

RIBS OFF THE PLATE $19.95
slow cooked baby back ribs prepared in a whiskey bbq sauce (full rack) 2lbs
PICADINHO $13.95
pork or beef cubes with shrimp
add Chourico ($2) Shrimp ($7)
DOUBLE CUT PORKCHOPS $15.95
grilled, french fries, rice, vegetables
CARNE DE PORCO ALENTEJANA $14.95
Cubed pork , clams braised in a garlic, white wine, fresh coriander sauce.
CHICKEN IN GARLIC SAUCE $13.95
Succulent Chicken Breast, chef's special garlic & wine sauce, french fries,
rice, vegetables
ROASTED CHICKEN $13.95
Herb roasted chicken, mashed potato, pepper gravy
CHICKEN FRANCAISE W/ LINGUINI $13.95

CHICKEN PARMIGIANA W/ LINGUINI $13.95

FROM THE SEA
ESPETADA DE MARISCO $16.95
grilled shrimp, calamari, whitefish, peppers, onions on skewer
PAN SEARED ATLANTIC SALMON $15.95
atlantic salmon, mashed potatoes, vegetables
GRILLED COLOSSAL SHRIMP $17.95

SHRIMP FRA DIAVOLO $17.95

PAN SEARED SCALLOPS $22.95
mashed potatoes, vegetables
TAVERN FISH & CHIPS $15.95
day boat whitefish, tavern tartar , lemon, french fries
PASTAS
SEAFOOD LINGUINE $15.95
linguine prepared in a white wine butter with clams, mussels,
shrimp and scallops
PENNE A LA VODKA $7.95

The items on your menu sound delicious and I am looking forward to trying some; as so far we have only been in for drinks.

Just an observation from someone who knows nothing about running about a restaurant other than what I watch on Gordon Ramsey.. :-) The first thing he does when helping out a business is to have the owners really research what the area needs, wants and can support. Then he looks at the menu and tells them to eliminate half of the items and stick to a few things that you can be really good at.

Looking at some of the comments, maybe this would be something to consider.

music gal music gal
Oct '13

Anyone know if they have NFL Sunday ticket ?

Philliesman Philliesman
Oct '13

Yes we do

music gal that is spot on and I have mentioned it before. BE the BEST at one 2 things and you will be busy. Also notice the comments on Mezza House in terms of the décor...one person called it sexy ( which is another word for intimate) make the décor warm and inviting also. Applebee's plays off their décor by featuring local celebs, sports people, high schools and more and that alone can bring people in.

Firefly Firefly
Nov '13

I have been there several times, each time service & food was great. Everyone friendly. It will continue to be a place for us....Only thing I will say is one waitress used the word "Lovely" a zillion times. If I ask how the food is prepared and what is in it......I don't expect to hear " I'm not sure but it is LOVELY". over, over and over again......So I will just catch the server I like who lives on Quimby Mt Rd..and see where she is serving. We will certainly be regulars and glad they are here.

Jo Anne Jo Anne
Nov '13

Lovely is used often by old British woman. A bit annoying if you ask me.

jerseycash5
Nov '13

My husband and I had dinner there tonight. It as our first time and waited a few weeks to try it out. We were there around 7:00 and the place was pretty full. We were sat quickly and didn't wait long for our waitress (Dawn) to greet us. She recommended we try their homemade Red Sangria. It was very delicious. There were a few specials offered. We had asked Dawn what she would recommend as for her Sangria was spot on. We chose the Scallop and Sausage app. to share. (really was enough for a meal). I had the grilled Shrimp special, (think it had white wine,garlic,butter sauce) which was served with rice,ff,and vegetable. 6 jumbo shrimp, skin on however. grilled to perfection. My husband had the Portguisse (sp) steak. MR.....how beautiful. layered with fresh proscutto (sp) and 2 sunnyside up eggs, ff/rice and Kale with garlic. :) We were so stuffed after finishing up, couldn't amagine having dessert. We had asked Dawn what she would again recommend.. Homemade dessert was offered. apple pie, pumpkin pie , orange/choc cake.. capp espresso ect. Capp was our desserts, We observed the pies and cake at the table next to us and over heard them say, Even though they were homemade they were very small for the price and not very tasty. We had enjoyed our dinner very much and have to say our waitress Dawn was extremely knowledgeable on the menu made our experience there a GREAT one!! Looking forward to afternoon burger day!

olderandwiser
Nov '13

We went for football a couple of weeks ago, the 2 people behind that bar were not even pleasant not a hello or anything. We were going to eat lunch but changed our minds after the wings came out. My in laws were there the night before and they did not care for it either.

rierie rierie
Nov '13

Bumping this up for someone who wanted to post on the subject.

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '13

just got home from The Tavern and our family loved it! I posted about it as a new topic (unaware of this one being fairly recent).

mom of one mom of one
Nov '13

Wow...our family loves this place! I am not one to rave unless truly warranted and this place deserves praise. I highly recommend. We have been here 3 times (just got home) and everything has been consistently great! The cozy, rustic decor, the great service, and the food- huge delicious portions (not that huge portions matter to me really)- they have great apps and both casual and upscale dinner entrees priced very reasonably. My NY Strip Steak was perfect--so huge I will have leftovers tomorrow, son & pop-pop got the special Sirloin tips-loved them and hubbie got a really huge and great burger. Too full to eat dessert but perhaps next time! lol. Was told that they brought in a new chef in Sept who focused the menu to serve the local clientele. Well done!

mom of one mom of one
Nov '13

Thanks to The Tavern....Last night I was there with a large group to celebrate a very special Lady's 87th Birthday. As Marty who was playing is our Friend, it was the perfect place. The food was terrific as always, the owners did what ever they could for us. There was probably 50 of us ?.....It was a great time, hope we didn't disturb the other diners there with our dance train going around the dining and bar area, but many joined right in with us. Owning a business I well know you can't make everyone happy, But I am delighted The Tavern is here in Great Meadows. Stop in even for just a soda and a GREAT salad or app....their Soups are terrific as well.
The Friends I brought in with me all said they found their New Favorite Place...Thanks to all the Staff and owners for Hopey's the Birthday Girl ....a Special Night !

Jo Anne Jo Anne
Dec '13

we have been back since Hopey's party and the food wasn't all that great. Very few people were in eating. Just OK. Have to say we had the same blonde waitress as the party and she still had a nasty attitude. Think we might take a break for a while.

scrappy scrappy
Dec '13

+ 1 scrappy

olderandwiser
Dec '13

We had 1 terrific server and 1 not-so-great server our past two times in. What was "not so great" - she didn't know the menu and didn't go ask the kitchen for clarification. I won't let that one experience put me off - we've been there three times and had very good food the every time. We like the place, love the food, very comfortable ambiance. We'll be there pretty regularly to support them.

4of4
Dec '13

rumor has it that you will be closing after new years..No servers during the week and 3 bartenders gone??? whats up?

olderandwiser
Dec '13

We were unaware of a rumor going around that we would be closing after the new year. However, this is completely FALSE. As to certain servers and bartenders no longer with our family, this is what a business has to deal with to strive. We absolutely have a full staff to be attentive to our clients 7 days a week. Thank you

John and Peter
The Tavern

The Tavern The Tavern
Dec '13

Why do people have to be so negative and so quick to either wish people misfortune or seem to celebrate it? Talking badly about a business seems to be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I have been in a couple of times, for both dinner and just drinks. We have enjoyed ourselves each time and look forward to returning.

music gal music gal
Dec '13

I agree with music gal.....I enjoy going there, owners and staff very attentive..Food great...

Jo Anne Jo Anne
Dec '13

sorry for any confusion, for that's why I asked. Friends and myself were there on Saturday night (busy at the bar). and over heard the bartenders speaking and saying that after New Year's this place is done!!!

olderandwiser
Dec '13

We are DONE!! no more... gave the place a few more times after Hopey's birthday... thought maybe it was me and just not having a good day.. however I got very sick both times after having dinner there... was not alcohol because I don't drink, I tried the tavern clams and garlic chicken... only an hour after we got home I was in the bathroom for HOURS!!... this has happened twice .... ADIOS..... :(

srappy srappy
Jan '14

Dear John and Peter,

Keep up the good work. Restaurant business isn't an easy one.

Golfguy Golfguy
Jan '14

They need to decide, what they are?

Agreed. Streamline and simplify the menu and do it very, very well.
I really want them to make it. Businesses failing is bad for everyone. I don't want that to happen to anyone.

Dear All,

We would like to thank all our loyal customers and excited new customers for their continued support. We have simplified the menu and are working on getting live entertainment and other theme nights going for the weekends and weekdays also. We are here to introduce and share with you authentic Portuguese dishes along with our love for the American Culture and our love for people.

@Srappy its unfortunate for you and yours that you will not be back. We can only ask, you reconsider your decision.

@Golfguy thanks for your support. You and others will help make our restaurant/bar a success in the area.

@Lobo, we are a Portuguese/American Restaurant and Bar. Thanks for your support also.

Again, we would like to thank you all for all the amazing support we have had since day one. We

The Tavern
John and Peter

the tavern the tavern
Jan '14

Went to the Tavern for the first time last night - we had the Portugese shrimp and sausage with onions and peppers appetizer and it was absolutely wonderful and had a ton of shrimp and sausage. For dinner I had the chicken in garlic sauce with mashed potatoes, my son's had the chicken parmigiana and the roasted chicken, my daughter had the chicken francaise and my husband had the strip steak. All of the chicken dishes were fantastic and the waitress was great about making sure my chicken dish was gluten free. My husband said the steak was okay but shared some of my chicken in garlic sauce and agreed it was the best he's tasted at a restaurant and everyone loved the warm bread with rosemary olive oil for dipping. The only negative was having to pay for refills for soda and the kids didn't care for their lemonade.

Overall it was a great experience and we will definitely be going back - we're glad to be able to have a great dinner in town and there is no need to venture into Hackettstown for the chain restaurants anymore.

LibertyMom2three
Jan '14

I was in the Tavern a couple of times recently. The food was good (salmon was excellent) and the service was very attentive and prompt. Better than most places. They also had entertainment both times I was there (Marty), which was very enjoyable. The bar business seemed to be doing really well. I will be going back.

This place is the worst. Plain and simple. The owners are always drinking and weird. The food is disgusting. It's a sad little place.

Ewgross
Jun '14

Try jps u might go back.

fitter fitter
Jun '14

Their ribs, garlic chicken, and garlic shrimp are excellent. Their BBQ chicken is made on a rotisserie. It does not have brown BBQ sauce. It is either a rub if marinade. The best anywhere! Really attentive owners who check on their guests.

Also, they have free poker on Thursday nights. It's fun!

Traveler
Jun '14

Has anyone been here lately? I passed by Saturday night at 6:30 and the parking lot was practically empty. I was thinking it was probably due to the Draught House and Tap House taking some customers away?

I was also just checking out their website and can't find a menu!

http://thetaverngreatmeadows.weebly.com/

My commute takes me past every day, often in the evening (8pm or later) and I'm always surprised by when the crowds are there. I've gone by a few times (I'm assuming when a game is on), and it's almost 1am and there are so many cars they are parking down the side of 46 and in front of the pizza place, then sometimes you go by on a Thursday night at 9pm and there's only a handful of cars. Very sporadic, I hope they are doing well though, every time we went or ordered to go it was pretty good.

Brendan Brendan
Nov '14

Thursday nights they have no cars because they bus in college kids.

Fuji
Nov '14

I thought they got taken off for that? State Police were called and found several underage kids piss drunk...I would be surprised if that were still the case. ABC is no joke.

I wouldn't doubt that but I'd also doubt they were serving underaged kids. More than likely those kids had either come drunk or snuck in their own booze. Went there once for a beer after work on a Thursday and had to get a wristband at the door to go in. I left after five minutes because it wasn't my kind of thing, but the fact that they were checking ID's at the door and handing out wristbands doesn't make me think they were intentionally serving underage kids.

Fuji
Nov '14

My wife and I went to The Tavern for the first time on this past saturday. Used the Groupon thingie.

We ordered the Tavern Clams as the appetizer....the clams were overcooked and rubbery, although, very well seasoned.

I ordered the Paella, my wife ordered the Steak au Poivre.

the Paella was well seasoned, but the seafood was overcooked and the shrimp looked like the small pre-cooked shrimp that get sold at a grocery store seafood counter.

Now on to the steak. The menu stated the steak was a rib-eye. When it came it, it appeared to be a strip steak, definitely not a rib-eye. Ordered medium rare, was cooked correctly. However, it was one of the toughest, most tasteless steaks I've ever chewed on. I needed to rent a second set of teeth just to finish the one bite I had. The mashed potatoes that were served with the steak had the distinct taste of "instant" potatoes.

I brought my concerns up to the waitress, who stated, "oh yeah...I should have told you that the steak isn't a rib-eye anymore". She did knock off about $15 for the drinks we had.

There was about 6-7 tables with people, one waitress running around trying to take care of everything. Even after registering my issues with the food, neither manager or owner stopped by the table.

We definitely will not be returning. Between the restaurant bill and the babysitter, it cost us over $100 for barely diner-quality food.

Bemused Bemused
Nov '14

Did this place go out of business? It's been almost a week since the Blizzard and they still have yet to plow out the parking lot!!

Lenny Rock Lenny Rock
Jan '16

There's signs out about their "rebranding" but the facebook page and webpage are gone. I'd wager that it's done.

btownguy btownguy
Jan '16

Heard they closed

I heard that there was a "Sports Bar Coming Soon"...... ;>)

Jan '16

Oh my! LMAO Rhyme Animal.

I had a feeling this place wouldn't last. The service was bad and the food was overpriced and just mediocre. I hope something else opens there soon and it doesn't sit there empty for years as it has in the past.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '16

That place was horrible.

Hot under the collar
Jan '16

We had the same experience, Calico. I wanted so badly to like it, too! It would have been nice to have a local standby.

I think a lot of people want a good "local watering hole". It seems the recent additions all miss the boat. The food at Bea's is terrible AND over priced. Draught House has inconsistent food and horrible service plus you need to sell a kidney to pay the bill. The problems at the Tavern at Great Meadows are too numerous to list. The Tap House is the best of the bunch but it is a little fancy for a local hangout. Plus the parking in that lot is horrible.

Hot under the collar
Jan '16

I hear you. The Tavern is a joke. We have been there a few times and seriously feel we are on candid camera. Way to many problems to list. I don't understand how any place can't just put 10-15 things on the menu and make them all good and keep it simple. Overthinking in this area is a problem

What about Marleys? Only done lunch but it seems comfy.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Jan '16

Blackstones & Marleys - great food and drink - nice crowds too!

Annnnnnnnddddd.... CLOSED. Once again, that place is cursed. The old Rico's about 10 to 12 years ago was really good, but something happened with that as well. Now this place goes belly up. Nice try, get someone in there that actually knows what they're doing next time.

Adam B
Sep '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.