Trains out of Hackettstown

I currently commute to Newark on the train, but cannot take the train out of Hackettstown because the schedules stink...does anyone else have this problem?

I'm trying to start a poll of people that would take the train out of H-Town if more frequent trains were available.

With the rising gas prices and the rise in train ridership all over NJ, a group of people could raise the issue to NJ Transit to add more trains.

NJ Transit has just introduced a section on their website for this very thing. We can register on NJ Transit's Riders' Platform ( http://www.njtransit.com/var/var_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=RidersPlatformTo) and state our case.

eddie v eddie v Message eddie v
Jun '08

I agree the schedule does stink. I usually end up going to Dover to get to the city. Plus it takes 2 hours form H'town, that's crazy.

mike2
Jun '08

Yes, I do also have that problem. Half the time I could take a train some where but then it doesnt go out of hackettstown at the time I need and I would have to go to Dover so by that time I usually just drive the whole way. By the time you drive to dover and spend money on gas, parking and then a train ticket I just drive to where I'm going

Very Hard to be Youn
Jun '08

I took the train from H-town to Morristown for about a year and a half. We recently moved our office to the other side of Mo-town so the train is not really an option for me now. I did love taking the train but I hated the strict schedule I had to follow, especially for the return commute. If I missed the train, there was always a long wait in Dover for the next train. I wish there were more trains running during the day and evening to H-town.

Kelly Kelly Message Kelly
Jun '08

Just so you know, NJTransit has been cutting rail service in Morris County. It was in the Daily Record in the middle of May. I searched for it, and I got the headline and the first sentence, but the DailyRecord wants me to pay for the whole article if it's older than a week.

Here's the link:
http://search.dailyrecord.com/sp?skin=100&aff=1117&keywords=train%20njtransit

There's also an article with information on how to write to the lawmakers about it on May 18th. But, it doesn't look like anything has been done since then.

The morris/essex line got cut..but hackettstown is considered part of the Boonton line (even though trains go to morristown).

Actually the Boonton/Montclair line does not go through Morristown. The Boonton line and Morris/Essex line run together from Hackettstown but split in Denville.

Jun '08

I work in Newark and would love to take the train. But I agree the schedule makes it hard. If NJ Transit would have all trains stop in Hackettstown it might make things better. In the morning and evening there are trains that end at Mount Olive or Lake Hopatcong, if they could extend the service to Hackettstown it would be an improvement.

vegas1106
Jun '08

I would love to take the train with the kids all the way in to NYC for the day, but I can't for the life of me understand how the schedules work and where/when you have to switch trains!

Can you park in Mount Olive, or do you have to have some kind of permit? What about Dover? Permit needed there?

From Hackettstown, do you have to get off in Dover and switch to another train? Or can you ride all the way to Newark? Once you get into Newark, then what? You have to get another ticket when you switch?

I don't get it... if anyone wouldn't mind explaining it to me, I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks!!

SusieQ SusieQ Message SusieQ
Jun '08

On the weekends (correct me if I'm wrong), you have to go to Dover to get into NYC. On weekdays, you can do Hackettstown>Dover>NYC. At least that is the way I usually do that I find is the easiest and usually the shortest waiting times between schedules.

Someone
Jun '08

SusieQ - We take the kids in alot. We use to leave from Dover but switched to Convent Station. We found the ride was about the same and you were several stops ahead of the train. You cannot take a direct train from Hackettstown on weekdays. Use have to switch in Dover to get a direct into Midtown. However, sometimes this is inconvenient because you have to wait from trains back to Hackettstown. No trains from town on the weekends. Also, parking in Convent Station is a little better on the weekends.

Kate S. Kate S. Message Kate S.
Jun '08

Someone and Kate S.:

So, we could take a train from Dover, and go all the way in to NYC without another transfer? Where does it put you in NYC?

Convent Station?? What train line is that on? Does that train go all the way to NYC without a transfer?

On the njtransit.com website, what is the difference between "train" and "light rail?"

Thanks for the info!!

Jun '08

Let me clarify this a little more...

You can take the train from Hackettstown to either Dover or further down the line to Broad Street (in Newark) and transfer to a NYC train on the weekdays.

On the Weekends, there are no trains out of Hackettstown. You have to drive to Dover, or any other station East of Dover. If you go to www.njtransit.com you can follow the link to "Train Schedules" and then the link to "Station-to-Station" and you can click on the 2 stations are trying to get to.

The lightrail is a short inner-city type of line that connects to a few points/stops. The lightrail in Newark, for example, takes you to Newark Penn Station from the Broad Street train station. It's a nice and quick ride if you need to get to Penn Station in Newark. The ticketing on the lightrail is different from the commuter train. Please follow the instructions on the website on "How to ride the system" under the "Rider guide" link.

And PLEASE visit and register for the NJ Transit's Riders' Platform: http://www.njtransit.com/var/var_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=RidersPlatformTo

Place your comments there and they will know that we want more trains to Hackettstown!!!

eddie v
Jun '08

Here's an explanation of the light rail. My sister takes it from Hoboken to Bayonne instead of the bus. I haven't been on it but I hear it's quite nice. I don't think it's completed yet.

+++The Hudson–Bergen Light Rail (HBLR) is a light rail system in the United States, owned by New Jersey Transit and operated by the 21st Century Rail Corporation, that connects the communities of Bayonne, Jersey City, Hoboken, Weehawken, Union City and North Bergen in New Jersey.

The eventual length of the line, when complete, will be 20.6 miles (33.2 km).+++

Bessie Bessie Message Bessie
Jun '08

Susie, I take the train from Dover to Penn Station. If you can drive and find cheap parking it's actually a lot quicker.. the problem is the parking as you can imagine! I' not sure about the light rail, I'd guess it's a difference in the ticket price depending on the hour? Not sure.

Someone
Jun '08

Susie - the train that starts in Dover eventually goes to Convent Station. It takes a little longer to drive to Convent Station, but the parking is easier and you are not on the train as long. They are direct trains into Penn Station (particularly great if you are going to something at the Garden.)

Jun '08

During the week, is it hard to find parking at Dover? Do you need a special permit?

What about Convent Station? Do you pay for parking there, too? Do you need a special permit, or can anyone park there?

Wow- thanks everyone for clarifying all this for me. I don't know why its so confusing for me! The kids and I can't wait to go. We want to go to the Natural History Museum.

Jun '08

We just went in yesterday from Convent Station. On the weekend you can pretty much park anywhere. On weekdays they do have parking for registered permit holders but I think there is an area for paid parking (you could probably check with the town). I think if you go from Dover there is a big parking lot - bring plenty of quarters. If you go into Penn Station check out NY Transit as there is a subway that literally dumps you off underground at the entrance to the Museum of Natural History.

Jun '08

Well I took eddie v's advice and registered on the nj transit forum. I posted a suggestion titled Stops West of Dover
This is what it says
I would like to suggest extending service on the M/E line. There are many trains that do not run through to Hackettstown in the morning and evening. If those trains that now start/end at Lake Hopactong continued to H-Town or even Mount Olive it would provide those of us in the area with a greater opportunity to take the train to work. Right now the morning and evening options are poor at best.

I guess we'll see what happens.

vegas1106
Jun '08

I am planning to buy a townhome in Hunter's Brook community at HAckettstown and need help on best way to commute to Jersey City. IS there any pblick transportation that can take me to JErsey city within 1.5 hours.

Also, If there is any owner of townhome in Hunter's brook, please let me know.

Rajeev Rajeev Message Rajeev
Jun '08

Rajeev-

There are trains that can get you as close as Hoboken from Hackettstown:
05:27 AM - MNE 07:19 AM 112 minutes
06:42 AM - MNE 08:33 AM 111 minutes

And, if you drive to the Netcong station down the line (~20 minutes) there are more options:

5:43 AM - MNE 07:19 AM 96 minutes
06:21 AM - BNTN 07:56 AM 95 minutes
06:58 AM - MNE 08:33 AM 95 minutes

You can find the complete schedule here:

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainSchedulesTo

Travel time is 2 hours though, maybe a bit more.

Not 1.5 hours.

My son and I take the train into the city every september, right before school starts. We take the 8ish train from Hackettstown and have to transfer in Dover (the transfer is because the trains from dover on are electric). The Dover train takes you right into Penn Station. It's about a 2hr ride but the kids love it. We stayed in the city unit around 4 and get home around 6-ish. I thought at first it would be complicated but it was quite easy. The employees are very helpful if you have any questions.

Lisa Lisa Message Lisa
Jun '08

We took the train from Dover, and it was great! The kids and I had a blast, and the train WAS very easy to figure out. They do have public parking in Lot B, but bring a LOT of quarters to feed the meeters. You can only park in metered spots if you do not have a permit. We really had a lot of fun! Thanks for the tips and ideas!

Jun '08

I was driving on 517 around 8 o'clock or so on a weekday a few weeks ago. I got a good look through the window, and I didn't see a single passenger. It doesn't bode well for more trains if they can't even get one of them to fill up even slightly. That's my opinion.

I meant to post that here then. Thanks to whomever kicked the thread up so I could see it.

Would anyone know the most efficient way to get to the Land of Make Believe in Hope, NJ after arriving in H-town from a Dover train?( please help me in desperate need of a good route to LOMB ;) )

Bryan
Jul '08

Not sure, probably call a cab?

Directions to Land of Make Believe. Make left on to 46 ( from stieger street) take 46 to great meadows.. Make right at st peter-paul church (I think its Hope road) then drive to Hope and follow signs

English 301
Jul '08

Even after living 40 years in the state, I've never taken the train in NJ (except for the rail between Hoboken and NYC.) I need to go from Hackettstown to NYC Penn Station. From the posts above, it looks like I should drive to Dover and take the train from there. Looking at the Station-To-Station schedule on NJTransit.com I see two entries:

06:26 AM - MNE 07:15 AM - MNEG Summit 07:49 AM 83 minutes
06:57 AM - MNE 08:16 AM 79 minutes

Forgive my lack of experience, but does this mean that the 6:26am stops in Summit for a bit, wherein the 6:57 heads straight into NYC?

You only need to drive to Dover if you are traveling on a weekend. There are weekday trains from Hackettstown, but they run much more infrequently than trains from Dover.

I believe the annotation in the schedule means that the first trip, you would need to get off the train at Summit and transfer onto the Gladstone branch train which is apparently going straight through to Penn Station (NY). The second trip is straight through with no transfers.

ianimal
Jul '08

Bryan, try closing your eyes, clicking your heels together three times and repeating: "There's no place like Hope"... it might work. Failing that, I would guess it would be a nice bicycle ride.

ianimal
Jul '08

I'm wanting to take the train to Hoboken from Hackettstown on a weekday morning. Will I have trouble finding a place to park my car at the Hackettstown RR station??

Pegala Pegala Message Pegala
Aug '10

haha ian i just saw that post. you were just as funny a year ago LOL. that wasn't me btw.

Pegala - there are always spots available at the train station, parking is not an issue.

Bryan Bryan Message Bryan
Aug '10

Is there a Mid-Town (NYC) express train available from Hackettstown. I have not received an updated schedule for sometime. If so how long does it take to get to Mid-Town

midnightgardener1 midnightgardener1 Message midnightgardener1
Aug '10

Midtown is electric only and starts in Dover

Good to know Bryan - thanks.

Pegala Pegala Message Pegala
Aug '10

Can you park overnight at the Hackettstown train station?

Oleo9
Nov '10

Rajeev,

Hunter's Brook does not have any townhomes.
It is a community of 101 Single Family Homes.

newbee newbee Message newbee
Nov '10

Hi all,
I just moved to PA from Jersey, and will still be working in Newark by Lackawanna Station. My commute will be about 1 hour and 10-15 minutes. Is there a train station off of Route 80 that I can take that will cut some of that commute time? I have read the posts about Dover. H-Town, and Mt. Olive. I'm aware of those, but which would be best and the quickest.
Thanks

Marilynk Marilynk Message Marilynk
Jun '11

The Mt. Arlington Station is right off Rt 80 (exit 30)...parking is limited, however.

Coach Coach Message Coach
Jun '11

So I want 2 go out 2 the LOMB with my children. I wanted 2 take public transportation & I really dnt get the schedule. Does n.e1 know how the trains runs on the weekdays to hackettstown since they dnt run out there on weekends

Trina Trina Message Trina
Jul '11

http://www.njtransit.com

Hackettstown is on the line that goes through Dover. There are like maybe three trains coming in during the day time hours at 7:45, 12:30, and 4:15.

I don't want to discourage you too much, but do you realize LOMB is not close by, there is no public transport there, and it wouldn't be such a cheap taxi ride?

That is the shame. Once you get to the Hackettstown Station your only options are walking or a cab. Very convenient for the Centenary College folks though.

iJay iJay Message iJay
Jul '11

I just would have liked to see a mono rail system in and out of the city on I 80 and I 78 and on the Park way with lots of trains running and lots of park and rides

Caged Animal Caged Animal Message Caged Animal
Jul '11

I too commute between Hackettstown and Newark and/or New York and really enjoy taking the train. I use to drive into Newark and suffered through the heavy, slow- moving traffic; always wondering if I will get to my final destination on time. Since I began taking the train I am more relaxed when I arrive and found that my blood pressure, as a consequence, fell approximately 50 points.

My only complaint about NJ Transit's rail service to and from Hackettstown is the pitifully few trains, especially for my return trip home. To have to wait in Dover for more than an hour is really discouraging and generally forces one to skip the train and drive (Sigh!) into work.

Come on NJ Transit think about it. With the rising gas prices and heavy traffic, it only makes sense to provide and advertise more trains to northwestern New Jersey. One only has to observe what happens on Route # 80 during rush hours to realize what a great opportunity NJ Transit has to increase its ridership and positively impact the state's .ecology

Penrod Parker Penrod Parker Message Penrod Parker
Nov '11

The train is evil. It wakes me up every morning with the stupid honking.

Metsman Metsman Message Metsman
Nov '11

I live in South Jersey and It's not that bad where I live because I have the Bus and the AC train. But the train service is ok on the rail line, but it's better then the service out to Hackettstown. But I feel bad for you guys trying to get to work. But yesterday I took the 9:12am train out of Hoboken getting into Hackettstown at 11:28am. The service out there needs to get really improved but the ridership is not there. It's the same thing on the Raritan Valley Line west of Raritan. I was talking to a women at the H-Town train station yesterday who lives in Washington Township and she said "this is crazy I need to get into New York and if I miss this train I have to wait until almost 5pm we need to do something about this" And I said I feel bad because on the weekend you have NO train or NO bus but theirs no alot of people that ride these trains to Hackettstown But how do you guys get around on the weekends of theirs no bus or train I know taxi, but what else do you guys use if you don't have a car?

JES93 JES93 Message JES93
Feb '12

The single lane track west Lake Hopatcong seriously limits the number of trains that can service Hackettstown. Now for the shocker..More people take the train from hackettstown (roughly 200 a week) then take the train from the brand new station in Mt Arlington (Most people park there for the bus)

Brad
Feb '12

The real problem is because it's only single track out to Hackettstown after the yard in Roxbury Twp. Only if NJ TRANSIT would add a controlled siding somewhere west of Roxbury then it would be more trains west out to Hackettstown instead of being 7 trains to and from Hackettstown. But they could extend the trains that end in Mount Olive or Lake Hopatcong out to H-Town, but the only problem is the ridership. But other then that the ride west of Dover out to Hackettstown it's a lot of good scenery with the mountains and looking at RT 80 too.

James93 James93 Message James93
Apr '12

NJ transit is a joke west of Dover. Big fancy train station at Howard Blvd was a big waste of money. That is just a big park and ride lot, very limited train ridership. Now the line is being extended to Andover. Another joke. The NJ transit puttputt trains that take 2 plus hours to get you where you need to be for a 50 mile trip is just insane. 50 miles...two hours!! REALLY? NJ Tranist needs to take a trip to Europe and learn from them. Highspeed!! Imagine, one train station close to I80 near the Gap, second one in Morristown last stop Newark! Go say 100plus MPH!! Ok Ok I can dream right?

pumper
Apr '12

If they extended train service to Mt. Arlington on weekends, that would be a great way to get into the city and I bet more people would use it. Dover has such limited parking and is not the most desirable place to park anyway. It is such a waste to have that new, big station empty all the time. NJ Transit should at least try to promote it a bit more for Rt 80 travelers and NW NJ residents. Its barely an extra 10min west of Dover.

Apr '12

Pumper ..maybe after they spend the hundreds of thousand of dollars to upgrade the tracks that were laid in the 1930's.. or before

Brad
Apr '12

What a blessing it would be to us who live out here beyond Dover to be able to commute, to visit NYC, to just get around by train. It is a no brainer. In the long run, wouldn't the investment in the upgrade be well worth it?

JudeKS JudeKS Message JudeKS
Apr '12

the tracks from Hackettstown east have been upgraded with thousands of new railroad ties and ribbon rail...not to mention modern signals...high speed rail service would not be workable on this line because there are too many grade crossings

oldman oldman Message oldman
Apr '12

Look at the dates on rails (any rail)..they are ancient..The are just now replacing tons of old 50 year old rail road ties on the boonton line east of Denville

Bug2
Apr '12

the rails from the railroad station in Hackettstown east are new ribbon rail...Norfolk Southern railroad west of there is stick rail...the joints are welded right at the Beattie St crossing...I cant attest to the ties in Denville...tie replacement is an ongoing project

Apr '12

Re: Trains out of Hackettstown

here is a picture of the rail line through Hackettstown [at Beattie st crossing facing west]...from 1970...the tracks are maintained better now than ever...NJ Transit and Norfolk Southern Railroad have both poured millions into this rail line...new ties...etc...

Apr '12

I live in northwestern Pennsylvania but many years ago rode the train from Dover to Washington on the Lakeland Express and later went to Hackettstown on NJT. For those who don't know, the Lakeland Express left Hoboken at 5:30 with a first stop at Boonton 40 minutes later at 6:10. It then stopped at Mt. Lakes, Dover, Lake Hopatcong, Netcong (Stanhope), Waterloo, Hackettstown, Port Murray and Washington. The maximum authorized speed between Port Morris Jct. and Washington was 40 mph. For anyone making a comparison with current schedules, the Boonton Line operated via Paterson over what is now Route 80. I have trouble understanding why NJT schedules are so slow today. For example, the DL&W operated its ancient electric MUs from Hoboken to Newark in 13 minutes with an intermediate stop at Harrison. Just take a look at a current M&E line timetable today. I must assume that either Newark as moved some distance west or that Hoboken has moved across the Hudson to account for the longer running times!

Tom Collard Tom Collard Message Tom Collard
Jun '12

It sure would be nice if at least one train ran from Hackettstown to NYC on a weekend day. Not all of us work in the city, and would love to spend a day there on the weekend without driving half way there.

idlechatter idlechatter Message idlechatter
Jul '12

I live in town, and I've only been on a train once in my life so this is all a little new to me. I used the dover station to get into penn station. Would I be able to use Hackettstown's train station to get into dover? and then use the dover station to get back to Hackettstown? The trains never seem to run here, I have no idea what the schedule is.

College kid College kid Message College kid
Jul '12

You can take the Hackettstown train to Hoboken and then take the path to the City

Brad
Jul '12

Do you mean the Netcong train station? Never heard of a Mt Olive boarding area.

I drive to NYC.. I like to leave when I want..

ucityfolks ucityfolks Message ucityfolks
Jul '12

There is a Mt Olive area in the trade zone.

College kid - Yeah, transfer to Dover which will take you right into Penn. Look on the NJT website.

theHHSinformant theHHSinformant Message theHHSinformant
Jul '12

Transportation group: N.J. emphasizing lanes over trains

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/07/transportation_group_nj_emphas.html

Erik B. Anderson Erik B. Anderson Message Erik B. Anderson
Jul '12

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Trains out of Hackettstown
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Your Web Site (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.