Replacing Cleanout door on Chimney

At the bottom of my chimney is a steel clean-out door probably about 1 foot square. This door has rotted out and is not a nice access for mice and other critters. I have not been able to find anyone to replace this door or even a place to purchase a new one so that I can put it in myself.

Any ideas of where one can purchase a replacement, or someone who will replace it. I spoke to a couple of masons and this job seems to be too small to get their attention.

Thanks,
Mark

Mark Mark Message Mark
Aug '11

@Mark ... we did not have this type of repair done, but just wanted to throw out Mark Kendra @ Kendra Masonry as a recommendation. We had a small chimney repair job and he came quickly to do it and was reasonably priced. If you're interested his number is (908) 637-9876.

@Mark,
My old door broke, so I went to BlueRidge Lumber in Hackettstown. They had a replacement door. You can ask them on how to put it in and how to measure the size you need. I put it in myself. You can buy a bag of premixed cement and add water. Be careful to not add too much water as you want the cement to hold together and not run. I removed the old door and taking a hammer and chisel, I carefully cleaned out the old cement and door parts. Then washed the area with water and a brush to get all the dirt and stuff off. I then fitted the new door to make sure it fit. I then put a ribbon of cement around the backside of the door frame and pushed it into the opening. I then put a brace on the door and frame to hold it in place. Once braced, I cleaned up/smoothed off the cement to feather it to the wall/brick or stone and let it dry. The whole job took about an hour.

Mr 4paws

4paws 4paws Message 4paws
Aug '11

Thanks for the info 4paws I will stop over at Blueridge. Appreciate the help.

Mark

Mark Mark Message Mark
Aug '11

Chris Brands Construction 908-852-5050

towncontractors towncontractors Message towncontractors
Aug '11

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Replacing Cleanout door on Chimney
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Your Web Site (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.