U Know Ur From Hackettstown If....

I don't anything will EVER rival the HL thread of "Hackettstown Retail Trivia" but this is a new group on Facebook. For all of us townies this definitely brings back tons of memories and what's great is that so many people are commenting back and forth which brings up new spins on topics mentioned. If you are on Facebook check this out.

lsricc lsricc
Aug '11

Did you mean to include a link?

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '11

If I place a link it will be connected to my personal Facebook page. At least I don't know how to do it any other way. But, if anyone has their own FB page, they can just type "U Know Ur From Hackettstown If..." in the search bar on the top of the page.

lsricc lsricc
Aug '11

ok will try

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '11

Can't find the one you mean. I found this one http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=56291896470&v=wall

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '11

Here it is!!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/233273403377624/

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '11

Rebecka, try opening up your personal FB page and typing "U Know Ur From Hackettstown If...." in the search bar at the very top of your page. That's what I did. Sorry, I don't know how to describe it any other way.

lsricc lsricc
Aug '11

Just be careful because your FB page will be clogged up with all the posts.

It did bring back alot of memories for me but it was just too much.

Christine Christine
Aug '11

Glad that you found it.

lsricc lsricc
Aug '11

Why can't we do it on the Forum instead of Facebook. You know Ur from Hackettstown if...you can remember back to when there were no developments in town and we really lived in the "country". You know you are from Hackettstown if you brag about looking on the back of every M and M candy that you buy and see Made In Hackettstown..

joyful joyful
Aug '11

joyful - I agree. FB = virus. To do that I also get 6000-7000 other pieces of "can't miss" posts and 300 friend requests a day. I'll pass on that.

So..let's go..you Oldtimers from Hackettstown or even the newly locates...How do you tell people you are from Hackettstown???

joyful joyful
Aug '11

If you want to avoid all of the emails about updates, when your on the group page, you can adjust your settings for that group only. I did this, and no longer get any messages about updates to the group, but still get my updates for other posts.

OK, you know Ur From Hackettstown If you remember sitting in the balcony at the Strand Theatre on a Saturday afternoon and then going next door to Knapp's and sitting at the counter drinking a cherry and/or chocolate coke.

lsricc lsricc
Aug '11

You know your are from Hackettstown if you remember when you pushed your babies in strollers up to Newberrys on Main Street and sat at the counter with your friends for lunch.

joyful joyful
Aug '11

U know ur form H'town when you know where the "grove" is............

Christine Christine
Aug '11

U know you are from Hackettstown if you mind your own business and did not gab much...my family was raised to mind our own business...

oldman oldman
Aug '11

U Know Ur From Hackettstown if you walked down the hall at the Middle School when you children were there several years ago (now in college) and saw your own Washington DC picture from when you were in 8th grade up on the wall.

lsricc lsricc
Aug '11

U know................if you remember the Christmas tree at the intersection of Grand Ave and Main St. in the road!

Christine Christine
Aug '11

U Know Ur From Hackettstown when you remember Centenary was an All girls school, Willow Grove Park was a cabage patch, sleigh riding down Hospital Hill (my children), graduating High School from the middle school, M&M mars was in Newark, you had your first drink at the Warren house. The police would park your car, drive you home if you had to much to drink. And pick you up in the morning to get your car to go to work.

auntiel
Aug '11

U Know Ur from Hackettstown if you can remember the weekend traffic on Main St. before Rt. 80 was completed.

u know ur from Hackettstown if you are on the HL website several times a day ;).

Also, going to the Hackettstown Mall-still miss that place!

2Cents 2Cents
Aug '11

U Know Ur From Hackettstown If....Because it was the best town to be from

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Aug '11

You know U are from Hackettstown if you were part of the "bucket brigade" out on 46 raising funds to build the hospital.

joyful joyful
Aug '11

You remember being able to hit "the tracks" from multiple points on your dirt bike and being able to reach a few spots to ride motocross style, jumps, berms, and all within town limits! Or even being able to goto Saxton Falls Track and really having a go at it! All the while any/all Police Officers only wanted to make sure you were being safe while doing so, without having to enforce any laws regarding trespassing, etc...

CARNi CARNi
Aug '11

How about the block parties at the Post Office. I was to young to go but my brothers and sisters did.

virgil
Aug '11

Remmeber the Community Center dances?

Christine Christine
Aug '11

U know Ur From Hackettstown if..... you remember some of the long ago Hackettstown cops...RudyDreschel,Les Snyder,Ken Farrell,Joe Dunn, Fred Ainsworth, Lou Ryan, or Chief Richard Armstrong to name a few. Or better yet, Chief Richard Hart

joyful joyful
Aug '11

Ed Hanick HPD

Aug '11

You know you are from Hackettstown if you use Washington St. to get across town.
I mean what self respecting Hackettstonian would sit in Main St. traffic.

A few more cops, Ron Silvent, Bogy Beers, Bob Sheldon, Ed Wisnewski

THE MAN THE MAN
Aug '11

Ahhh. The Strand. And after the movie, as I was leaving, my feet would stick to the floor from all of the spilt soda and buttery popcorn.

Jonathan Stone Jonathan Stone
Aug '11

High school football games at the sand bar. Little league football at the Legion field. Kids going to school at the Legion and the church. No scoccer fields. Fireman parades and carnivals at Sebers with fireworks. cbgb, that's funny and so true.

auntiel
Aug '11

You hoped the Mister Softee or the Good Humor truck would not schedule his run down your street just before suppertime.
Or if you can remember the Hackettstown Mom's on your street standing outside their homes holding our babies and crying with our neighbors while our husbands were at work hearing the devistating news...President John F. Kennedy has been shot..

joyful joyful
Aug '11

Bogy Beers had the right name...I saw him fight with YaYa Kinney and I mean an all out fight...during a clambake at the Riverview Tavern on rt 57...many years ago...Bogy deserves his own thread on this page...

oldman oldman
Aug '11

Oldman.. My DH remembers Bogey Beers too..He lived on the corner of Mtn. Ave and Little Street and he also remembers that famous fight...

joyful joyful
Aug '11

You had, or attended a bday party at Bonanza or Cactus Jack's:)

kelleo22 kelleo22
Aug '11

You know your from Hackettstown if you liked eating at the Orange Pit
Yum

Aug '11

caged animal..thats Ed Heneck HPD...and that was many years ago...

oldman oldman
Aug '11

Police Chief Dick Hart was known for delivering local citizens home after they had over indulged at local taverns...now they just...lock you up and throw away the key

oldman oldman
Aug '11

U know your an old timer from Hackettstown if you remember.... watching the legend of Sleepy Hollow with ole Ichabod and seeing a slide show from a famous outdoor naturalist and photographer of New Jersey wildlife(mostly deer) in the massive Middle School auditorium usually right around that shortened day before Thanksgiving.

BobR. BobR.
Aug '11

@oldman
thanks for the proper spellling on Ed Heneck HPD...and that was many years ago I am that old too
Now about those rail tracks that crossed rt 46 many years ago in budd lake I found the rail bedding off to the right on the east bound side which is all grown over but if you look you can see it on the west bound side its all gone all evedince that it went over to the lake if there are any train buffs of Mount Olive history buffs out there could use your help on this one we are going back to the 1960s when they were still there when 46 only 2 lanes

Aug '11

Bob R. The naturalist/photographer who always visited the middle school was named leonard LaRue. I have no idea how or why I remember this!

deviljet
Aug '11

Good memory, deviljet! I touched a python when I was a kindergartener at Hatchery Hill thanks to one of Mr. LaRue's visits.

You know you're from Hackettstown if...you met and used to pet Rusty the dog at Kostenbader's liquor store.

You know you're from Hackettstown if...you remember and were ever in the original and very old train station that used to be near the back edge of the current Tickner's property.

borninthe60's borninthe60's
Aug '11

U know Ur From H'Town if you know WHo Tillie is.

Christine Christine
Aug '11

Re: U Know Ur From Hackettstown If....

I remember Leonard LaRue... he was quite a well known wildlife photographer...remember he put on the slide shows when all had to go to the auditorium...at least it was a break from class...Caged Animal...the only type of rail line that could be in the area you talk about was the Morris County Trolley line...and I dont think that line was extended to Budd Lake...give me a better clue as to where the abandoned railbed is...I have all the old maps...heres a picture of Morris County trolleys...near Landing NJ...the trolley line actually went to Bertrands Island Amusement park

oldman oldman
Aug '11

Mr. Noble read you "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" in the H.S. auditorium in red, long underwear

yellocanary yellocanary
Aug '11

OMG I so remember that!

Christine Christine
Aug '11

boy i am dusting off cobwebs here...but when Leonard LaRue came to school...was that not called an assembly...in the auditorium...

oldman oldman
Aug '11

@ Oldman
Leonard LaRue was great loved it when he came to our school at white township and belvidere high he is a local guy and i think his son went to belvidere high too racking the brain pan he was a true lover of nature the kids today are realy missing out on a great thing

Aug '11

You remember the Ferro-Cement sailboat Red Grogan was building on Stiger st.

Your mother bought your school clothes at Robert Halls.

You tubed down the Muskie, went swimming/diving at the Grove and ended up at Corkie Miller's house by the sandbar.

Western Auto didn't have the extended forks for your Schwinn Stingray chopper.

And many more..

Picture is the Miller's boat heading home.

Marv
Aug '11

U know...............when you went to Leonards for all your jeans.

Christine Christine
Aug '11

You know you're from Hackettstown if you can name three teachers who biked to work.

Mrs White, Mr Applegate, and Mr Noble

grrrrrr the millers

Aug '11

Corkie Miller was a decent guy...and a very good plumber...

oldman oldman
Aug '11

Oldman. DH remembers Corkie Miller as well and said he also delivered beverages and beer for a company out of Wharton called High Grade Beverages at one time.

joyful joyful
Aug '11

My parents always spoke highly of Corkie and wouldn't call on anyone else to service and or fix their furnace in their home.

Spring Fever
Aug '11

You partied in "The Quarry" as a teenager!

deviljet
Aug '11

You were at the Williams & Hibler fire, and stayed until the sun came up!

deviljet
Aug '11

.. you know where the Sinclair Gas station was located and what the youngsters bought there for 50 cents in the summertime

BobR. BobR.
Aug '11

You felt the earthquake .

diggity diggity
Aug '11

you rode your bikes behind the truck that sprayed for mosquitoes

Hackettstimer
Aug '11

if...................you remember Woody Rush was the Captain of the '61 team. I can't help but remember because I married him.

apple apple
Aug '11

You bought your house from the Orts, Fiedlers, or Monetti's, remember the opening of McDonalds & the free Ronald McDonald dolls (which my brother treasured!!) Saw Star Wars at the Strand, The excitement of the "new" Mall Theater, Shopped at Leeters for underwear, and Ann's Dress Shop on Valentine Street for Prom Dresses, had to have mexican jumping beans from Newberry's, Ate at Mama's Pizza in the Mall, Your dad worked at the Picadilly Restaurant in the Mall (Picadilly bread - the best!!), You sleigh rode down suicide hill, what fun!! You sang "No it ain't Broadway, it's Hackettstown..." in the High school Chorus Concert (OK, I'm dating myself here). When you left home you gave directions as Exit 19,

scrappermom scrappermom
Aug '11

The Orange Pit & the Quarry!! What memories!

scrappermom scrappermom
Aug '11

Oldman
I grrrrr over the millers name cause i forgot them oh wow I worked with his one son

Aug '11

@BobR.
was that the summer of 42 kind of thing

Aug '11

CagedAnimal...if i think...what this subject is about...every diner and gas station... in town sold those things... in the restrooms...one time a friend bought one and thought it was a balloon...whoops...

oldman oldman
Aug '11

Thanks for the memories, scrappermom! All but Picadilly and the HMS concert apply to me, too.

How about...you know you are from Hackettstown if...you ate at the K-Mart restaurant in the Hackettstown Mall that had the pilgrim theme - I think it was called the Bradford House or something like that. (My grandparents and my great aunt used to like to eat there in the early-mid 70's.)

borninthe60's borninthe60's
Aug '11

You can remember when the Htown mall wasn't there....

If you were ever seated in the torture chair at Dr. Silbers office....

DB: How could I forget Dr. Silber..he pulled a tooth right away that I now wish I had been able to save...young and foolish..but he was a nice man!

joyful joyful
Aug '11

OMG I totally forgot about Dr. Silber!!! Does anyone remember Dr. Shevitz (sp?) who had his office on Grand Avenue? What a different time....he actually made house calls!!!!

lsricc lsricc
Aug '11

joyful - he pulled one of my teeth before the novacain took effect! Man o man did that hurt.. I told my parents that I refuse to go back to him.

He didn't seem to have a secretary and when he worked on you and the phone rang he would leave all the tools in your mouth and ask you to hold the one in his hand and he would go answer the phone.

You've lived next door to the same 2 neighbors for 40 yrs. You remember when their children were born and are still there to see their grandchildren born.

auntiel
Aug '11

you went to Dr. Chi

kissycat kissycat
Aug '11

You shopped at Shop-Rite on Stiger Street!

scrappermom scrappermom
Aug '11

How about shopping at Acme, where the old Knechel Ford was!!

snapper
Aug '11

How about going to Ruby's Market on the corner of Main and Church Streets?

lsricc lsricc
Aug '11

Did Ruby's have a lunch counter or some sort of side counter along Church Street? I have a vague memory of being there with my grandfather to get something to eat.

borninthe1960's borninthe1960's
Aug '11

No across Church Street from Ruby's there was a little diner with a lunch counter

deviljet
Aug '11

Thanks, deviljet. What was that called?

Aug '11

Shopping at Grand Union where Marshall's is now located.

Aug '11

Banking at United Jersey Bank in the mall. But it was located on the outside. Then again, you had the drive up hole in the wall in the middle of the parking lot, where Applebees is now located.

Aug '11

Does anyone remember the Orange Savings Bank? I think it was on the corner of Washington St. and Hudson St. There might be another bank there now.

Didn't United Jersey Bank have two locations open at the Hackettstown Mall at the same time? I remember the outside drive-up location that you mentioned, but I also remember a small branch office of that same bank across the cement courtyard from the mall movie theatre lobby.

Aug '11

I don't know of any Hudson St. in Hackettstown

deviljet
Aug '11

I worked in the first Orange Savings ..It is now called Hudson Savings and is on the corner of Washington St. and Grand Avenue.

joyful joyful
Aug '11

joyful - Sorry. I got mixed up. You are right about Hudson Bank and the location.

borninthe1960's,

Yes. There were two locations open at the same time. However, that was a loooooong time ago. After a short period of time, the drive-up was closed and abandoned for years.

Aug '11

Yeah, I still miss the Stiger Street ShopRite.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Aug '11

I remember the Shop Rite fire so well too. I lived just up the street and could not believe how quickly Shop Rite was reduced to rubbles. The sound of cans bursting in the fire will remain in my head forever.

joyful joyful
Aug '11

Dr Timbrell...the master driller without any pain relief...DR Timbrells torture chair...and he got away with it...nice guy...

oldman oldman
Aug '11

you would not believe how rotten the old Doctors in Hackettstown treated their patients...as compared to today...there were certain Doctors... that were good and then there were the quacks to stay away from...some Doctors treated their patients like guinea pigs...read this and think back

oldman oldman
Aug '11

did some doc in h'town have trouble with super glue

Aug '11

try sitting in a dentist chair having you teeth drilled without anesthesia...nice

oldman oldman
Aug '11

You went to the Tri County fair in the summer where Weis is now, and went sleigh riding down the same hill in the winter.

G-Ma
Aug '11

the little diner on church and main across from Rubys was Danleys Diner.

nonny nonny
Aug '11

Nonny..and right next to Danleys Diner was Whelan Bros. Tire Service

joyful joyful
Aug '11

THAT was his name. Dr. Timbrell. Ceramic spitter, silver fillings that I STILL have in my mouth! Still remember the fear with every filling that had to be done. Couldn't understand why doctors wanted to numb me for fillings after we moved!

Peggy C. Peggy C.
Aug '11

At the Stiger Street Shop Rite, anyone could stick their hands in the pickle bucket.

Aug '11

It ticked you off when they made Warren St. a one way.

auntiel
Aug '11

you can remember that fellow "Leonard" from Bach's Drug store.

Farmall49 Farmall49
Jun '12

The great "super glue incident" involved a Hackettstown Dentist.

Tanya Tanya
Jun '12

Swimming lessons at the sandbar!

Also, Mr. Softee!

Dixie Dixie
Jun '12

"hole in the wall" novelty store on Mt. Ave!

danS
Jun '12

U know Ur from Hackettstown if....you are still wearing clothes you bought at Reynolds!

Lady Jayne Lady Jayne
Jun '12

You swam at the SandBar, then when it closed had lessons with Ray Kietrys in resident's pools around town before the new pool was built.
Went to Newberries and popped a balloon to find out how much your ice cream would cost, shopped at Bach's drug store. Got clothes at Leonards youth togs.
Walked downtown on a Friday night to pick up the delivery from Sears Roebuck store, ate at the Cottage restaurant with your family.
Mom forced you to take sewing lessons at the Singer store in the Hackettstown Mall.
Dr Miller jabbed you hard with needles as a kid, and gave out pills in little paper envelopes, and you got tetracycline from him that grayed your teeth.
Sang Oh its a Christmas at HHS while wearing pointy shoes and an elf costume.
And bought 45 records at Country Pie music store on Main St.

hktownie hktownie
Jun '12

you know you are from hackettstown if you remember the car dealership (can't remember which one it was) on washington street - where community collision is now.........thanks for the memories everyone! i wonder what ever happened to the cement boat????

wcgal wcgal
Jun '12

you remember the Jigger Shoppe..

darlughh darlughh
Jun '12

wcgal,was it Vey's?

Annie1
Jun '12

and Pickle Bill's

Slade Slade
Jun '12

It was Veys on Washington Street... I own a 1965 Pontiac that was purchased new there. I still have the invoice...

I remember the Jigger Shoppe. It was originally owned by the Shapiro family and then Helen and Charlie West took over. It was first located on Main Street where the Isshin Ryu School of Karate is now before moving to the location on the corner of Main and Moore Streets. I worked there as a little girl.

lsricc lsricc
Jun '12

You know you're from Hackettstown if you know who Herman is.

Rockaway Township is far far away...

You threw a rock in the sludge pond across from the Tannery just to watch that purple-brown gunk splash up.

They skate there now...

Old Time Townie
Jun '12

...you remember

the old "head shop" on Main Street

and Jerry and Sound Effects

honey badger honey badger
Jun '12

U know you’re from Hackettstown when The Hess softball team was the one to beat, You seen dud's and suds, Your fist free pizza was given to you by a young boy that just came over to work at his family’s pizza shop in the old mall.(Tommie). You use to go to the theater for 50 cents on a Saturday and ride your bike.
Bilby road was a place to camp; Dr Staniwitz had a faucet on his file cabinet. There was no law for livestock in town proper so the Petty’s had a horse a goat and chickens in a little back yard. Jeans for all, Newbery’s, Mick and Heddys etc.... A great place to grow up and a great place to come back too to raise my kids.

If you drank as an underage 17 year old at Cavanughs. Then went went Clee's (spelling? )
If the "tracks" kinda freaked you out.
If you ever eat lunch at the auction market.
And what was the name of the place with the cheeze steaks???
If you dropped into the water at penwell mills from the rope swing.

yearsago yearsago
Jun '12

you've moved away and really miss it

Slade Slade
Jun '12

You know your from Hackettstown if you remember some of the old Hackettstown Mayors... such as: Frank Fowler, Bob Kitchen, Jim Smith and Pat Harper.

Joyful Joyful
Jun '12

You read all these posts and are dying to know everyone who posts is!!!!

suzique suzique
Jun '12

You remember the Tri County fair being held on Rt 57 where Weis is.

happycamper happycamper
Jun '12

I think Tri County Fair was up farther on Rt. 57 across from Diamond Hill.

...you remember the block dances in the post office parking lot before the Carrs' house was torn down. Those were the days : )

virgil
Jun '12

You remember Stouts Lumber Yard (in area where Tickners is now) and that the Police Dept. was housed over Moore St. Firehouse ( as per The Duke).

P.S: Never remember Tri County Fair being in the area that Weiss Market is now. Pretty sure it was always held in the field across from Diamond Hill (as per JL.)

Joyful Joyful
Jun '12

You remember dances at the Community Center....

Christine Christine
Jun '12

Tri county fair was held on the corner of Rt. 57 where Weis is now. 1970. I was a freshman in High School at the time and remember it well. Joyful, ask Lester he would remember.

whitey
Jun '12

Whitey: I asked my hubby....he said the Tri County Fair has always been held on the old Hazen farmland as far as he can remember. I guess you two "have to have a talk".

Joyful Joyful
Jun '12

The Tri County fair was, at one time, held where Weis is today. I remember sitting on a hill behind the fair groups watching Jerry Lee Lewis. May have been the summer of 71.

Thanks, esd.....can't wait to tell The Duke.. Maybe it was held there the one time he missed it for some reason or other.

Joyful Joyful
Jun '12

There was a small store on the corner of Mountain Ave. and East Ave. Where Rite Aid is. Was it called Carl's Place?

happycamper happycamper
Jun '12

yes, that was Carl's Place

hello
Jun '12

I remember Carl's place very well too. We lived in Kenwood Village (the 5th house in when it was built by Klingman Builders) and would stop frequently at Carl's place on the way home from work.

Joyful Joyful
Jun '12

I remember Kenwood Village! The houses were fairly new when I lived in Hackettstown. 1962 to 1974. I lived on Lawrence Drive, directly down the road fro the Dairy Queen and the Orange Pit! My mom bought my school clothes at Robert Hall's, and the elementary school was brand new when I attended it. We walked to and from school, and everywhere, and it was actually safe.

Cherie Fox-Bolt Cherie Fox-Bolt
Apr '13

I remember you too, Cherie and your Mom and Dad...We lived on Laurie Terrace. Those were really the "good ol days"...Hackettstown was still a small hometown where everybody knew everybody and all the neighborhoods were close.

joyful joyful
Apr '13

anybody remember the pet store behind the mountain avenue quick chek?

it was actually in a house on Washington Street behind the old gravestone maker

we used to get fish there

i had a hamster named squeaker

a parakeet named chirper

and two hermit crabs named Hefty and Wimpy because one was big and one was small

Erik B. Anderson Erik B. Anderson
Apr '13

The name of the pet store was Tank Town. Unless there was another one...

suzique suzique
Apr '13

OMG! I remember that place!

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Apr '13

@ Cherie....I grew up in Kenwood on Seymour. Use to cut through the Elks at night. I think I'd be a little freaked out doing that today. Sure seemed safer then. ~SIGH~

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Apr '13

Anyone remember the music place next to the Jack and Jill Store? The music teacher's name was Pete.

86 years ago, I was born in an apartment on Main street in Hackettstown .N.J.....moved and.lived at 515 Grand Ave ...until I married and moved to Oklahoma when I was 20 years old .....I remember and love the town as I knew it then and I wander off and go there from time to time in memory. My Dad was a high school teacher ... his home room was up stairs and the grade school kids grades one through eight were down stairs ....I used to ride my bike to Allamuchy and Washington, N.J. .... eat my lunch in the park and then ride back home ... my bike was my wings ......if anyone remember Bill and Betty Voorhees ...they were my parents ... my sister Marie lives close by in the same trailer park here in Florida. all this to day ..... you can take the kid out of Hackettstown but you can't take Hackettstown out of the kid .....Hooyah !!

Lois Jeqn Hutson Lois Jeqn Hutson
Mar '14

WHEN YOU say Bogey Beers was a cop, do you mean papa Bogey or baby Bogey. I know baby Bogey was never a policeman and so knew him quite well.

sientje smith sientje smith
Feb '15

Bogy was a special cop for a while. They wanted him on their side. Donna and bog live in colorado.

moosie moosie
Mar '15

I wrote a book (fiction) that incorporates much of my growing up experiences in H'town in the 50s. If you read it you may recognize the characters which are based on many of my friends and acquaintances during that time.(Brentford, Bogey, Joe T., Rich Williams, The Flash, Big Moose, Moose, Little Moose, Mini Moose, Coach Morrison). The story of course is a complete fabrication but the characters in many respects are real. It is "Who Killed Coach?". You can read it for free on the Internet or buy it as an ebook at Amazon or Smashwords. http://wsautter.com/read-save-walts-books-ipad

Walt S. Walt S.
Aug '15

In the early 70s The Tri-County Fair was where Weiss is and then in the early-mid seventies it moved to the field across from Diamond Hill.

Carl
Feb '16

Oh man, I really miss the Tri county fair! The best was when Yasgur's Farm played there. And WE where able to walk to the fair...hooo vaaaa...need I say more? LOL!

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Feb '16

Joyful~~my great uncle was officer Joe Dunn. Reading your comment just brought a smile to my face.

.....you remember the huge formed swimming pool that sat on an empty lot for years where IHOP /McDonalds is now.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Feb '16

Dima...My hubby worked with Joe Dunn and he was one of my best customers when I owned my little shop on Main St. in Hackettstown.

joyful joyful
Feb '16

You remember Doctor Harmon doing house calls.

bill n bill n
Jun '17

I remember Doc. Harmon. When my children were little...he would make house calls in the middle of the night in the 60s when we lived in Kenwood Village. Great Doctor!

Joyful Joyful
Jun '17

if you remember that the kostenbader family owned the liquor store before shop-rite had it in the location were the domino's pizza is now.

been there before
Jun '17

@ been there before: Also remember the Kostenbader family and family dog who used to take the business banking deposits to the bank from the liquor store unattended at times. I think his name was Big Red. A beautiful and obviously very smart Irish Setter... We visited with the daughter of the former owner of Kostenbader Liquor store and her husband recently in Florida.

Joyful Joyful
Jun '17

If you remember Mamas Pizza being at the Hackettstown Mall next to Pinball Wizard and The Barber Shop.
Going to the Nook for Teen Night
Buying fish at Tank Town
Eating at Cactus Jacks
Working out at Leons Gym (Now Achieve Fitness)
Buying Candy at Harts
Riding your bike up to Stewarts for a Root Beer

Matt I
Jun '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.