Hackettstown Retail Trivia Part Two

Hackettstown Retail Trivia Part Two

I went through some old files and turned up this old beauty...Grogans bottlers...they were located on Liberty Street...they bottled beer and soda as well as water...(bottled water is nothing new) here it is there are still some Grogan family members who live in town

oldman oldman
Jul '11

TY oldman could you see any one stopping in there to day couple of bottles of sassbarilla please

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Jul '11

Mr Grogan (Red) passed away last year... ? .... I think his daughters are still in the general area, but not in Htown.Cool photo . Keep 'em coming!

LVMomOfBoys LVMomOfBoys
Jul '11

Looks like a rough place to me...I knew Red...he was something...ps I heard they had real good beer

oldman oldman
Jul '11

DH was born and raised in the Hackettstown area and knew Red Grogan as well. Which of them was the one that built the ship in his backyard or am I getting names mixed up?

joyful joyful
Jul '11

I so remember the ship in th eyard. It was made of cement........I do believe my Mom still has some of those pictures.

Christine Christine
Jul '11

Red Grogan, was building the sail boat.

THE MAN THE MAN
Jul '11

it boat was moved to some place on 31 last i seen it

Jul '11

You did not see it on Rt 31. The boat was dismantled on Stieger St where he lived and sold for scrap.

THE MAN THE MAN
Jul '11

The boat WAS going to be made of cement. But no cement was ever poured.

THE MAN THE MAN
Jul '11

THE MAN is right...the boat was all made of welded mesh...with a steel frame...to be finished it needed a continuous concrete pour process where the material had to be applied until the entire ship hull was done...Red had also planned to cut down his masts from on top of Buck Hill...somewhere along the line in this time the town started to give Red crap about the boat...etc...Red cut up the boat for scrap in place... had a sale and left NJ for good...in 1977...right about the time of the tragedy that happened in August of 1977...

oldman oldman
Jul '11

Oldman..We have had so many things happen in our little town over the years ..I came into town in 1959 and my DH lived here all of his life. Trying to think what the Tragedy of 1977 would be that you mentioned? ..If it was the shooting by the RR tracks..then I do remember that as well. I feel priviledged to be one of the Pioneers watching Hackettstown grow and thrive and all things considered we still have the beautiful town that I moved into so many years ago. I love Hackettstown and it is and probably will always be a place I am proud to call my hometown.

joyful joyful
Jul '11

Re: Hackettstown Retail Trivia Part Two

here is a real blast from the past...my parents used to to take me there when i was a child...enjoy

oldman oldman
Jul '11

What happened to Al's corvette ? Is it still around ?

THE MAN THE MAN
Jul '11

Oldman..showed that pic to DH and he remembers Al Kings very well. I believe right now it is just a empty building there on Rte. 46 past Bar 46. DH's sister and husband used to own a bar where the saddle shop is now too in that area called Zig and George's which they bought from Mr. Landsburger. Many many moons ago..

joyful joyful
Jul '11

I definitely remember the "cement" ship. I also vaguely remember the Chick Shop (best pajamas in town) next to the bakery, and my mom to buying stockings and church gloves at Leeters. Went to Leonards for kids clothes and school uniforms.

Gen3Townie Gen3Townie
Jul '11

Also proud to be one the "first families of H'town"....many photos of our businesses on Main Street dating back to the early 1900s.

Gen3Townie Gen3Townie
Jul '11

Gen3Townie...I worked at Leeters for many, many years and then opened my own dress shop/boutique down the street. That shop was called the Chicky Shop where you got your "jammies". There was also a Endicott Johnson shoe store on Main St. many years ago..wonder if anyone remembers that?

joyful joyful
Jul '11

Joyful,
Were you the original owner of the Chickie Shop?
My mother also bought some of my clothes there I believe.
It was next to the Bakery which was next to the Genevieve Shop.

Spring Fever
Jul '11

I remember the Endicott Johnson shoe store, Joyful. It was on the corner of Liberty and Main, right? Mrs. Costello was the owner, I believe. I used to get my new school shoes there every year after getting some school clothes across Main St. at Leonard's (where the Fruit-Mex place is located now).

borninthe60's borninthe60's
Jul '11

I remember all these stores well. Happy memories, indeed.

Millie Millie
Jul '11

so then the guy on 31 was building his own concreat boat this was past 78/22 near a A-frame buildind that was a taxadermie shop
thanks for the info that it was scraped reds daughter posted on here a bit back

Jul '11

How about the Dairy Queen. I believe. Where the Hess station & cleaners are located now.

THE MAN THE MAN
Jul '11

Spring Fever: No I was not the original owner of the Chicky Shop. I am old...but not that old!.I bought a existing store right near there, actually.. next to the Old Mardenly cleaners and had it for about 8 years. It was originally called Wildflowers and became Joy Boutique. After selling that became store manager for Barons Hallmark. I loved being a buyer salesperson for Leeters more than anything. Chet Lee was the owner and a wonderful person to work for.

joyful joyful
Jul '11

I know right where you mean. Guess I wasn't in town when you had your shop, but did
shop in Leeters frequently along with the Gevevieve Shop. Wonderful memories... I

Spring Fever
Jul '11

Correction, Spring Fever...That was not Mardenly Cleaners I was next to but Lemasters Cleaners and Tailors..

joyful joyful
Jul '11

I thought that's where you meant. Lemasters was a restaurant in the 50's
and my family ate there on occasion.

Spring Fever
Jul '11

I remember Mardenly's well. Circa 1969/1970, I would go in with my mom or dad to drop off dry cleaning and Mr. Haytaian would pull out a tin of cookies that he gave to kids as treats. The old fashioned pressing machines were neat to look at. I knew Mardenly's only at the corner of Rockport and Airport Roads in Mansfield - not sure if it was ever located in Hackettstown.

Jul '11

Exactly...Spring Fever..I think the restaurant was called The Palms or something like that. When we first moved into town it was there. Now if you tell me that you grew up in Kenwood Village...we might possibly know each other..

joyful joyful
Jul '11

I didn't live in Kenwood Village. But I suspect we frequented the same movie theaters and swimming areas. I didn't go through the Hackettstown School System and am guessing you did?

Spring Fever
Jul '11

My husband went to Hackettstown schools but I did not...our children did however and graduated from HHS. But, yes, we probably did go to the same theatres and swimming areas and when we do get to meet...if ever..will realize we have known each other for a long time. I am finding personally since posting on Hackettstown Life and going to some of the breakfasts and luncheons that I am actually meeting up with old friends plus making a lot of new.

joyful joyful
Jul '11

I remember all that has been mentioned so fondly. My sons were the third generation in our family to go through the Hackettstown school system. My grandfather owned a store that would be now be considered a department store jon High Street ust up from Main Street. Growing up we lived on Moore Street just up the block from Niper Studio. I fondly recall going to Knapps soda fountain for chocolate cokes after seeing a Saturday matinee at the Strand. My parents would go shopping for me at Leonards. We would also frequent the Chicky shop and then go get a treat at Ferrell's Bakery next door. As a teen I worked at the Jigger Shoppe. I could go on and on and on. Oh, so many memories!!!!!!

lsricc lsricc
Jul '11

Al Kings Corvette was sold many years ago...people used to come around and ask about that car...i remember Al Driving the car... from what i am told Als corvette was a very early model... I know it was either a 53 or 54 corvette...He was a friend of my family...and I very well remember Als drive in...he had good hot dogs...and if i could get a ginger bread man or coconut bun like Farrells bakery had... life would be good...we used to skip out of school to get the baked goods for lunch there

oldman oldman
Jul '11

I grew up close to Main St. and used to think it was so cool that we could walk 2 blocks in any direction to get whatever we needed: groceries, bakery, clothes, appliances....definitely the good old days :)

LVMomOfBoys LVMomOfBoys
Jul '11

LvMomOf Boys...And we even had a Newberrys that had everything the other stores did not carry...even sewing supplies....Main Streets USA..the Good Ol'Days!

joyful joyful
Jul '11

Newberry's was the best! As a kid, the anticipation as you went down those wide stairs to the toy department on the lower level was heaven!

Jul '11

My wife started at JJ Newberys. Ah memories.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Jul '11

If you remember, Mr. Delello had a furniture store downstairs at Newberrys later on as well. That was BM....Before the Malls!!!

joyful joyful
Jul '11

I remember my Mother taking me Christmas shopping growing up.
She was always able to get her entire list by shopping at the Main Street stores.
Two trips and she was done!

Spring Fever
Jul '11

We use to stop at Al Kings every week on one of our return trips from Camp Warren in Hope, NJ. Cheesesteak and a cold bottle of orange A Treat soda. They put the sandwich on a good roll and did not chop the steak; all placed on a small white throwaway plate. Adding to the ambiance; I think the wife of the owner had a perpetual Florida tan and the view of the muck like valley area just below.
Does anyone know if Camp Warren (camp for handicapped,disabilities) still exists ? It use to be just off Hope, NJ a few miles(to the west I believe).

BobR. BobR.
Jul '11

BobR., yes, Camp Warren in Knowlton is still in existence and is a wonderful camp for those with disabilities. In fact, it has continued to thrive and has grown quite a bit from what you may remember. If you visit the Warren County Arc's website, you'll probably be able to see current camp photos (www.arcwarren.org). My husband was a counselor there one summer during college and he has wonderful memories of the camp and the campers - as a result, we always listen for news of the camp and try to support it whenever we can. The Arc holds a Radiothon on WRNJ every April and all proceeds from that benefit Camp Warren.

Jul '11

@Joyful..what was the name of your store on Main St..I was discussing with my dd and I couldn't remember the name of it.

Bessie Bessie
Jul '11

PS I moved up here somewhere around 1979 and while I remember some of the newer things that were mentioned, I love envisioning what Hackettstown was like, way back when. I grew up in Hoboken and believe it or not, I always say it was a great place to grow up. I have many of the same memories, going to the Fabian to the movies, Schonings Bake Shop (Carlo's is there now), going to the 5 & 10, and getting the best yum-yum ice anywhere. Isn't it great that we all have such nice memories of growing up, where ever it was.

Bessie Bessie
Jul '11

my uncle had a arnolds bread store on main street and my aunt had a consignment cloths store on main street . in the 70s . and dad ran a ARCO station on mountain ave which is now a cleaners by McDs

Jul '11

We had a Newberry's in Pittsfield MA where I grew up - sounds almost identical. Ours had a long fountain with stools. Did the one here have the fountain?

Firefly Firefly
Jul '11

Yes, Firefly, our Newberrys had a fountain as well. We lived in the area that you live in now and used to push our baby strollers (roads were not paved back then just yet) up to town and sit at the fountain with our friends and have lunch. Our Newberry's back then had the toys downstairs and remember my Father's visits to Hackettstown and our DD always would take him by the hand downstairs in Newberry's for something she just had to have for her dollies.

joyful joyful
Jul '11

I remember feeling very grown-up sitting at the fountain. It was rare to have money for anything but sometimes my friends did. I saved what money I had for records...it was next door. The 45's were less than a dollar. Seems like a lot of money on today's standards.

Firefly Firefly
Jul '11

Bessie: I PM'd you with that info you requested..

joyful joyful
Jul '11

Sitting at the counter for an ice cream at Newberry's was always a big treat. I used to go in there for sewing supplies too! Used to shop in there as a kid for Christmas presents for my Mom and sisters, and Rockaway Sales for Dad and brothers (they carried tools AND Matchbox cars!) Of course those were the days you could walk down town by yourself at the age of 10..... sigh.

LVMomOfBoys LVMomOfBoys
Jul '11

we had lunch at the fountain sometimes but normaly mom would go to the cottage for lunch we came to towm once a week way back then there was only one car in the family and dads pickup was stick we went to the bakery and othere stores western auto the bank some good stuff

Jul '11

I remember Newberrys soda fountain/coffee shop...they had the best toasted corn muffins...when the muffins were being toasted you could smell them all over the store...and they had a roller hotdog grill...it made you hungry to watch the hotdogs being cooked...we used to buy all our school supplies there also...when we walked to school there was a pie safe chained to the front door of Newberrys...with fresh pies for the coffee shop...old memories

oldman oldman
Jul '11

Wow, Old Man...you remembered a lot more than most of us about Newberries. Is that pic the actual Newberrys on Main St. Hackettstown? Sure looks like what I remember!

joyful joyful
Jul '11

oh the corn muffins at newberrys, they were the best!! they had that grill they put em on that toasted the top and bottm at the same time. always got one of those and an orange drink. do you remember the door at the end of the far aisle, with the 2 way mirror in it? used to always cup my hands up to the glass and take a peek, see if anyone was in there watching....... newberries had 45 and lp's too. bought my first of both formats there.

nonny nonny
Jul '11

I cant say for sure if thats the old Hackettstown Newberrys...but there is a distinct resemblance...I also bought records at Newberrys...and they had a neat toy department...in the downstairs area...but then the malls came in and main street suffered after that... it was fun while it lasted...by the way...JJ Newberrys started in Stroudsburg Pennsylvania...and if you go there to this day...the original store { now closed} has a plaque stating that it was the original location...here is a picture of that store when it was still in business...JJ Newberrys was the Wal-Mart of their day

oldman oldman
Jul '11

Does anyone remember Newberrys having balloons on a board that you could pop and it would have the price for a sundae inside of it?

Joe M Joe M
Jul '11

I wasn't around here for the balloons on the board, but my mom used to take me to Woolworth's on Bergenline Ave in West New York and I always got the banana split.

Bessie Bessie
Jul '11

lets dig deeper here...the old TV show Romper Room...came to Newberrys...and auditioned local children for Romper Room...my brother was one of the kids...he did not make the show...this clip is not from that time period in the 1960s...but it will give you an idea of what the show as like http://youtu.be/td1KAgrYUGA

oldman oldman
Jul '11

Oh wow!! I had never heard the Romper Room story! I always watched to hear my name, but never did....oldman, you must be REALLY old to have those photos and remember all this stuff !! (kidding, just kidding) Love to see your photos!

LVMomOfBoys LVMomOfBoys
Jul '11

I used to be glued to the tv to hear my name, too, but like LVMom, I never did. :( I remember wishing my name was "Susie" since Miss ? always seemed to say that name when she "saw" kids watching through the tv!
There was merchandising even back then - I had Romper Stompers that I LOVED.
Also, much to my parents' delight, I recall dragging out pots and lids when it was time to participate in the Romper Room band. Ah, memories!

Jul '11

My DH tells a story of his Mom working in Newberrys when he came home on leave from the Navy unexpectedly and surprised her at Newberrys..Needless to say, since she worked in housewares and had a lamp in her hand when she saw him...I think he said that was the end of the lamp..Does anyone remember when the first Shutterbug Ed's opened up in town? I think it was about 1969 and they were on Main St. for a long time..just recently closing up shop. We bought out first good camera from them.

joyful joyful
Jul '11

Joyful. I have my Dad's super 8's and the tag is Shutterbugs tag 1969.

Christine Christine
Jul '11

What about Captain Kangaroo? Loved him!

Peggy C. Peggy C.
Jul '11

I love retail history. (I suppose by the responses these threads always get, I am not alone). I really wish I had come to Hackettstown as a child so I could share in the memories. I grew up about a mile from the NY border near Warwick, and I remember very fondly the department store there (Gilvan's). I sort of picture your Newberry's being like that.

I have the Main Street Hackettstown book and I love reading about all the things that used to be downtown. Even though I have no personal memories of them, I like to know what the buildings used to be.

Aquarius Aquarius
Jul '11

Joyful's Shutterbug Ed's reference brought to mind my dad's camera that you looked down on to take the photo. It had the huge round flash on top that took little blue bulbs that we bought in packs of 6 at Shutterbug's. The bulb would get so hot when it was used for a picture that it would have melted bubbles on it afterward and you'd have to handle it like a hot potato until it cooled down.
Does anyone else on here remember being blinded by the lights that accompanied the 50's/60's era home movie cameras? In the home movies of my uncle's that I've seen, we're all squinting and holding our hands over our eyes for fear of going blind!

Jul '11

Aquarius...You grew up in Warwick, New York?? I grew up in Middletown, New York. We had a Main Street years ago much like Hackettstown is today and now Main St. in Middletown when I go back home is just mostly offices and small shops...Everything went out to the big Malls which they have a lot of now. My cousin still lives in Warwick, New York and have some in Goshen, Newburgh, etc.

joyful joyful
Jul '11

I remember having my picture taken by those old 1960s flash cameras...they were very bright and we had to stand very still...on some of the old cameras there was a tripod...and the flash apparatus had to be held by a second person...how about watching old Super 8 movies you had to set up the portable screen and had to thread the film through the projector... and if the film stopped the film frame would burn right through...how about the old Polaroid Instamatics...they used film that would develop while you watched after it was ejected by the camera

oldman oldman
Jul '11

Caged Animal...i remember the ARCO...on Mountain Ave...that was back when mechanics worked on cars...and they pumped gasoline at stations also...didnt the Yerkes family own or run that station I believe Walt Yerkes may have had 5 or 7 gas stations at one time

oldman oldman
Jul '11

joyful - I grew up in Vernon, but just about a mile or so from the NY border. Our nearest town (Vernon doesn't have a downtown) was Warwick and we spent a lot of time there. Also in Middletown! Not the downtown so much (probably it was already mostly small shops and offices), but the 211 corridor. The Orange Plaza was "our" mall. We went to Playtogs more often than I'd like to remember, LOL. My mom used to take us to see the trotters practice in Goshen during the summer. I really like that whole area. I sort of miss it to this day.

Aquarius Aquarius
Jul '11

I was a passenger on a motorcycle that crashed on Rte 94 and ended up in the hospital in Warwick. My only time there :)

LVMomOfBoys LVMomOfBoys
Jul '11

Remember H.Cohen on Main Street?

LVMomOfBoys LVMomOfBoys
Jul '11

Yerkes family owned it and the one by the ford dealer and at rt 31 &46 my dad ran the one on mountain ave think a guy named whitie ran the other

yes we pumped a lot of gas and we did fix cars it was fun changeing tires no computer balance just a bubble balance and putting studs in snows was a pain

was working on a car doing a tune up it drop out of park and in to reverse and out though the door it went the owner says i forgot to tell you it did that

Jul '11

@Oldman or anyone else
Why don’t you write a book about what it was like to live in Hackettstown? Give much detail as possible about what building were there and utilize all the photos you have as far as you remember? Your version so nobody can really argue with you. Take time writing from child hood even if were not in Hackettstown. I kind of like these life stories. I once spoke to a 79 year old man (when spoke, he was 73) who lived in River Vale, NJ. He told me about his first time seeing clear plastic when he was child. He said it was about 6 inches by 3 inches and half inch thick. It was see though like glass but it didn’t feel like one. (It wasn’t cold and heavy to touch). All other kids that touched it was very careful not to drop it or it would shatter.. Our great grand kids may not have knowledge of can openers because they might all be peel off cans.. I’m just recommending but I know it’s a big burden for you.

It would really be neat if multiple writers wrote and cascade each year to see everyone’s view. For example for me: Early July1991, I drove my second car to Hackettstown to go to Hackettstown pool to go swimming. It was hot day but water was cold. This was when I found town called Hackettstown.. Yes because of Public pool.. I moved to Hackettstown in 2003.

Cohens was Ben Cohens store...we got clothes there and Robert Hall..when my parents could afford the prices...

oldman oldman
Jul '11

Razz...you ought to have met some of the people I talked to in my experiences...a 92 year old man who would sit and talk for hours about life on the Morris Canal...and all the local railroads... he knew all the old beer breweries...he was a fascinating man to spend time with...James Lee did it best...look up his work

oldman oldman
Jul '11

What is that thing? It's huge. That's some picture!!

P.S. why is that dog going #2?
Kiddin a side. What really is that thing that looks like a boat but it's riding on railroad looking thing..

Oldman,
Do you have link or book I can get on James Lee?

That old man also told me after WW2, government sold used light weight personal aircraft to any body that can pay for it. Just needed some ID to fly them. People used to have landing strip {Flat cut grass}on their yards for these things to take off and land but he was too young/poor to fly at that time and missed it but he doesn’t regret because there were so many fatality accidents.. I bet back in 1945 to1950’s, there were nothing but trees in Hackettstown so may not have seen any aircrafts flying over in this location. I don’t know.. I’m just guessing.

its a canal boat that navigated the Morris Canal

oldman oldman
Jul '11

look up James Lee + the Morris Canal...enjoy

oldman oldman
Jul '11

Robert Hall....aaahhhh! I used to HATE it when my mom or dad would take me in there. It was such a boring store for a kid for some reason. I remember Cohen's, too - it was located on both sides of where Christine's store was on Main Street, right?

Jul '11

Robert Halls was a clothing store yes boring but good stuff and American Made something to be proud of , back then we had play cloths and school cloths . and money was tight

Jul '11

Agreed, Caged, good quality items at Robert Hall's. I was only about 5 or 6 when I recall this, but I used to pretend to talk to the manaquins to pass the time while my parents searched through the racks of clothes there...sad commentary about me, I guess!

Jul '11

*mannequins

Jul '11

Razz if you can find any old maps of the Hackettstown area..you will find several small private airports did exist...they were nothing more than grass covered runways...one still exists in Townsbury NJ right along the Pequest river...there is also the remains of a WW2 glider behind Thompsons auto body on Rt 46 in Great Meadows NJ

oldman oldman
Jul '11

Man, I hope all of this H'town history is being recorded somewhere. Oldman, you should spend a day at the H'town Historical Society, and have them interview you!

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '11

Oldman and my DH (who was born and raised in Hackettstown area) should both contribute what they know to the Hackettstown Historical Society. I would venture to say that my DH may even remember a bit more as I have a feeling he is a bit older than Oldman and remembers things before he would. The Hackettstown Historical Society does have a book out which we own as well and it is very informative about Hackettstown, New Jersey statistics...founding and up until current times including all the Main St. businesses that were in existance in past years until now.

joyful joyful
Jul '11

was going to mention that house by townsbury that has the little landing stip along the river, ..........speaking of townsbury, one time back in the 70's it got the "He-Haw" salute when that show was on.

nonny nonny
Jul '11

by the way heres what the glider remains looked like when fully assembled... the glider could transport 13 troops...they were used in combat during WW2... I have provided the Hackettstown Historical Society with some things and I know the president of the society

oldman oldman
Jul '11

cagedanimal...as i remember Walt Yerkes owned about 7 gas stations in this area at one time...before Arco...they were named Atlantic...they had gasoline...car repair...with a mechanic on duty...they patched tires...even for kids with bikes...I know about the bike tires because i had so many flat tires...

oldman oldman
Jul '11

remember when you would go get gas, and the attendent cleaned your windshield and would ask if you wanted your oil checked ? or the tiger tails that Esso gave out , would see them hanging from cars gas caps.........my parents had many a Christmas Album that were gotten from gas stations back in the day too. not sure if they were purchased or given away free.

nonny nonny
Jul '11

Oldman..That pic of the gas station is now the site of Valley Auto Repair. The existing airport that you mentioned in Townsbury is a private airport which is owned by Jack Rogers or his son. DH remebers Walt Yerkes as well. Does anyone remember Best's Market on Main St. (it used to be across the street from the Masonic Lodge,,right about where the deli is now).

joyful joyful
Jul '11

one service station promotion I remember...was when the Atlantic gas stations had the Red Ball Service promotion...they gassed up your car...washed the windows...checked the oil...and even checked the tire pressure...after the service they placed a styrofoam red ball on your cars radio antenna

oldman oldman
Jul '11

Yes, I remember Mr. Best as a very nice man. I was young, but I can still see him in a white butcher's apron. Another nice business owner nearby was Irv Kraft who co-owned Kraft's paint store with his brother, Claude. Does anyone remember those cool glass display cases where you could push a button and see all the old coins they had for sale rotate by on the shelves. Irv was so friendly and would give kids Juicy Fruit gum and a big smile.

Jul '11

I think the gas station was still there when I moved up here. I know the pumps were and it always made me a little nervous living close to gas station, especially when there were times you could really smell the gas. Does anyone know how long ago it closed and the pumps were taken out?

Bessie Bessie
Jul '11

I remember the Kraft brothers very well they were coin collectors...and i bought some nice articles from them...they also had a very nice paint and hardware store

oldman oldman
Jul '11

They sold Oxline paint. They also made custom picture frames.

THE MAN THE MAN
Jul '11

speaking of the Krafts this is a picture of the store when it was on fire...i miss that old place

oldman oldman
Jul '11

oldman, do you have any pictures of the William & Hibler fire?

Christine Christine
Jul '11

Oh!! Did Krafts burn when Mr. Orts building also burned? I dont think I remembered that....

LVMomOfBoys LVMomOfBoys
Jul '11

the pictures of the Hiblers fire of 1970...are set in microfitch in the Hackettstown Gazette files...and they were taken by Willard Hackett..an old pal of mine...give me some time to work on this...

oldman oldman
Jul '11

THX oldman! That picture of WW2 glider remains is very cool. Love the fully assembled one too. It carried 13 troops so they were pretty good size. I’ve never imagined them that big. Very cool. With all these knowledge and pictures you have, you should really write a simple book to start and doctor it up so someone like me can understand.

@borninthe60's when you said about the coin cases a picture of it just flashed in my mind yes i remember them

@ oldman
The red ball omg i bet i still have someof them we put them on the xmass tree must be in moms boxes of decorations
that pic of the station brings back things

Yes there was a time when car comes in you went out pumped the gas washed the windows and i did not mind washing windows when there was a pretty girl in the front seat . and a lot of women are big tease's with short skirts but I would not complain no no not this guy to days guys would cry to there mothers that that girl flashed me.

dad said that he knew Pete Yerkes had 5 his dad---> ( Walt Yerkes ) had more

Kraft fire I will ask cousin on fire co i think they have pictures on the walls at moore st fire house

Jul '11

Here some H Trivia - Back in the 50s, did you know that Hackettstown was the largest manufacturer of toy soldiers in the world. The company was Bergen Toy.

Curt: I do not personally remember Bergen Toy but do know it existed here in Hackettstown at one time as last year one of the oldest residents in the area Mrs. Della Gardner passed away at the age of 105 and they made mention that she worked at one time in Bergen Toy. Where was this located?

joyful joyful
Jul '11

@Curt
were they plastic or metal

Jul '11

Hey Caged! I'll bet those windows with the pretty girls were spotlessly cleaned! Oh, the days of youth!

Peggy C. Peggy C.
Jul '11

heres a sign I pass by regularly...I finally took a picture...guess where this is...ps I heard of Bergen Toy...

oldman oldman
Jul '11

bergen toy company manfactured the plastic toy soldiers that they used to sell at Newberrys they were plastic and came in bags...they also were involved with Lincoln Logs...here is one of their ads...

oldman oldman
Jul '11

Razz...there are at least three preservation groups interested in obtaining that glider...apparently that air frame is very rare

oldman oldman
Jul '11

Just went to Luigis's( on 46) for dinner and on the way home DH showed me the exact location where that glider went down. Wonder why they never took it out of there??

joyful joyful
Jul '11

CA I have seen the pictures at the firehouse. Just was wondering what other pictures out there. Our house was the grey duplex that went down with Williams & Hiblers. We were renters and lost everything. It was Aug. 1970. My sister was about 2 weeks old at the time.

Christine Christine
Jul '11

@ Christine
I will ask a freind you may know the burk sisters that lived a cross the street in the house next to the parking lot

Jul '11

the glider did not crash...it was removed from a shipping crate and left there...the wood from the shipping crate was used in construction...

oldman oldman
Jul '11

CA know them all well and their kids...........

Christine Christine
Jul '11

I've seen the crude house built from that Horsa glider crate when it was there when us kids rode our dirt bikes up behind that area in the early 70s to get to the power lines - if you look closely just before Thompsons Auto Body driving west on 46 you can still see where the dirt road was . No one was living in it by then , but it belonged to the town drunk who wore his WW2 service on his sleeve when begging for drinks . He died in a drunk driving accident - go figure !

Zombo Zombo
Jul '11

I knew the Burk twins also...anybody remember that their dad Harry ran a welding shop behind his home...I also remember walking by Williams & Hibler on the way to school...you could smell the freshly milled wood...in the warehouses...my family did business with the Hibler family for years...Milt Hibler was known as Uncle Milty...he was a pretty nice guy...he lived just around the corner from my mom and dads house...heres an old shot of the Hiblers lumber yard with Bergen Tool in the background

oldman oldman
Jul '11

oldman... I truly love the knowledge of the history you have of Hackettstown. And all the pic's you post. I've always enjoyed listening to my dad's stories of Hackettstown when he was a kid. And I'm sure if my grandfather was still alive today, he would have a lot to share also.
And those who have said you should write a book...I agree completely. Before my great uncle had passed, he had wrote about his life from the earliest memories he had to his last days, and I must say, although I haven't had the opportunity to ready the whole thing yet, what I have read, has been some of the most entertaining reading I've done.
I was born in 71, I lived in Allamuchy until I was 7, then moved to Mansfield, but I too, loved walking mainstreet when I could. Spent a lot of time at the Hackettstown Pool too.

Cheryl71 Cheryl71
Jul '11

There is Bergen tool and Bergen toy. Where did the name Bergen come from? Was that an old name for part of the town?

Joe M Joe M
Jul '11

the name Bergen is common here because manufacturing companies moved here from eastern New Jersey for cheap real estate and labor...just look up how many explosives factories were located in this area of Warren County...Pyronics... had a plant in Hackettstown as well as Port Murray...Hercules had a plant in Belvidere...and there was a huge plant in Great Meadows that manufactured Tear Gas for the government...ask anyone about the huge teargas leak in Great Meadows in the early 1970s...it took over a week for the fumes to disperse

oldman oldman
Jul '11

Oldman, that was Gamma Chemical.

Had to close the windows in Pep & Walts so we didn't cry over our beer.

THE MAN THE MAN
Jul '11

Pep & Walt were nice people...my mother went to school with Pep...that was a nice place to stop in and have a cold one...they treated you like family if you knew them...I miss that tavern

oldman oldman
Jul '11

there was a chemical packing plant near the train station in town they moved out on to 94 they made amppuls for bee stings glue amualnitrae which used like smelling salt

Jul '11

that chemical plant used to dump their waste on to the railroad tracks and it smelled like vinegar and stunk like crap...I can still see where the plant was...and see the plastic barrels lined up along the tracks...and by the way some of the business owners that took over the old Pyronics tract ...off of Stiger street used to dump all their dangerous chemicals into the brook that flowed through that property...Trout Brook

oldman oldman
Aug '11

There was an explosion at Hercules (?) some time in the 1950s. I remember the sound.

Millie Millie
Aug '11

there were several explosions at Hercules...the one in 1940 caused major loss of life... human body parts were found as far as 5 miles away hanging in trees after that blast... my late father was called in as a rescue person after the Hercules blast...I will not repeat the the things he saw... but there was another big blast there in 1960...and the last explosion there in 1989 caused the plant to be shut down...and remember that the old Essex Specialties plant on Stiger street had major explosions during WW2...my late mother worked there and was at the plant when the explosions happened...one of the blasts killed 5 people...and broke windows for miles around Hackettstown...they found human body parts...on the lawn of Centenary College...my mother gave blood for several burn victims...from the Essex Specialties explosions

oldman oldman
Aug '11

I don't know the exact location, but there used to be a plant off Waterloo Rd. across from Stephens State Park. There were concrete tunnels underground. Does anyone know what was there?

that place was Oxy chemical...they made explosives there also...and the big tunnel ran from the plant to the railroad tracks...a couple of local guys got burned very badly there when they lit a match to a discarded barrel of chemicals

oldman oldman
Aug '11

I remember sitting at the soda counter Newberry while my mom shop for patterns in the sewing section. She used to make our clothes. I remember going to the movies at the Stand Theater for like $1.00., having a slice and a soda at the pizza shop next door for 75 cents . There used to be a fence where the gazibo is and all the teens would sit on it. My dad used to say "look at all the crows on the fence." Or something like that.
There used to be a Shoprite were the new (now old) Quick Check used to be. We used to by Cigs there for 45 cents a pack, from a vending machine. Lol. It burnt down uhuh and they built the new one in Mansfield. Lion lighting was there too on main st but they moved down 57 across from SOS Stove, which used to be a bar restraunt ummm Colorado Mine. I could go on but I have to put my 8 year old to bed. Seriously..

sphinx sphinx
Aug '11

Crap! I must be REALLY old. $1.00 would get me into the movies, and with candy a nickle at the drug store across the street, 5 treats for the show, and change left over! I think popcorn was 17 cents but I'm not going to swear to that one. Saw all Plant of the Ape movies so that is a time frame reference.

Peggy C. Peggy C.
Aug '11

there was cook color chem by newburg road
any one remember the ice house out in townsnury .
at the top of resivor rd was there a camp of some type ?
at the top of the road that gose past camp merry hart at the top on the left is a power sub station, but on the right is a gated property down that road any one know about it it over looks the valley ?

Aug '11

when Cooke Color chemical...existed...on rt 57...that place was a dump...they had machines churning out plastic...and that place was full of plastic fibers floating in the air...that the workers had to inhale to be on the job...and that was also the town dump that used to catch on fire once in a while...the property with gates you speak of is a private estate...it has been for sale for years

oldman oldman
Aug '11

Sphinx,

Where the gazebo is now used to be Cunningham's tavern, shot and beer only. No fancy drinks like a 7 & 7, for that you had to go to the Clarendon.

THE MAN THE MAN
Aug '11

Cunninghams Tavern had a big lunch crowd... The owner had the bar and tables set so his patrons would get served quickly...the bank next door bought the property and tore the building down and created the park

oldman oldman
Aug '11

I thought Hercules was in Roxbury NOT belvedere

Brad
Aug '11

Hercules had plants in both Roxbury and Belvidere NJ...the Belvidere plant closed shortly after WW2

oldman oldman
Aug '11

Some of my family members worked at Bergen Toy briefly after WW2. Also remember tales of the explosions and, mercifully, not the human remains being found.

@Caged Animal...my family is almost as old as the dirt in this town, but you have me stumped with that Old Hackettstown Rd sign! Where the devil is that? very cool

Gen3Townie Gen3Townie
Aug '11

the Old Hackettstown Rd sign is right across from the Allamuchy general store

oldman oldman
Aug '11

About a mile north east of the intersection of Jackson valley rd and Mitchell rd were there mines back in there ?

Aug '11

I know there were several mines along Karrville road in that area...the mining was not very extensive...or of a very long duration

oldman oldman
Aug '11

how about this road sign...anybody know where this is...better yet how to pronounce it

oldman oldman
Aug '11

I know where it is , its out in belvidere the same road that the pool is on the village of Manuhkachunk is down rt 46 where king coles and washburns was there are houses by the river
there were rail road tracks that crossed over rt 46 there and they went in to belvidere and along a ledge runinig with 46 where they conected tot the tracks at the twin tunnels

now there were rail road tracks that crossed rt 46 in bud lake where did they come from and were did they go to

Aug '11

Manunka Chunk Road is in White Township off of Rt. 46. It is next to the A&P. The Belvidere Pool and Roche (DSM) are on that road. It will take you into Belvidere.

caged...where were the railroad tracks in Budd Lake...the closest railroad tracks to Budd lake...are near Waterloo...heres the rest of the story about the Glider airframe...apparently the gliders could be bought for surplus at about $60.00 each...the businessman who bought them { and there were at least 20} re-used the packing crate wood for construction...and sold the brand new tires of the gliders to local farmers

oldman oldman
Aug '11

There were about 15 Iron Ore mines between Rt. 57 & Rockport Rd. Going out to Port Murray.

There was a shale quarry somewhere between 1st. ave. & Monroe St.

THE MAN THE MAN
Aug '11

the Hackettstown shale /stone quarry was used as a dump after it closed...the dynamite storage sheds were still in place many years ago...the sheer stone wall was very tall as I remember it...a guy who was intoxicated drove his car off of the quarry wall and was killed back in the late 1960s

oldman oldman
Aug '11

@Oldman
there were a set of rails that crossed rt46 just east of where the old shoprite liqures in budd lake

Aug '11

I have driven on that highway forever there were never any rails there...you might be mistaken closest rails to there are Netcong or Waterloo...never any rails in that part of Budd Lake

oldman oldman
Aug '11

There used to be a doctor's office in the building on High St. next to the parking lot by the Trading Post. I think it is a hair salon now. Does anyone remember the doctor's name?

Dr. Harmon ... he made house calls too!

Spring Fever
Aug '11

Dr. Harmon and Dr. Stanowicz made house calls. I remember many a night Dr.Harmon getting called out in the night when my son was sick. They both were great Drs. Dr. Stanowicz used to perform all the physicals for the Hackettstown Football teams too.

joyful joyful
Aug '11

my late mother worked for Dr Harmon...she did not care for him...and i will leave it that

oldman oldman
Aug '11

Does anyone remember a ice cream stand atop of the hill out of Hackettstown. I seem to remember it was west of town, Rt, 46, right before Klee,s Tavern. Was it called the High Cue, or the High Q?????????????

ghost
Sep '11

It was Al Kings, On the left side of the road headed toward Viena, Years later it was a motor cycle repair shop then a diving store called Neptunes Den. The building is now for sale.

THE MAN THE MAN
Sep '11

It was on the right , rite before The Tavern Rest. This was the very early 1960. I think the house is still there. My guess is that somebody remembers this place.

ghost
Sep '11

It was Al Kings...He also had hot dogs and hamburgers..

joyful joyful
Sep '11

I think I have a picture of my sisters and I in front of there. Wonder if I can find it in the huge box I have.

Christine Christine
Sep '11

Ghost your right it was at the top of the hill on the right and to day it is called Blackstones it was a small place at one time was at one time called the three pines

Sep '11

Im sure before it was Three Pines its name Was Hi Que, High Q,??? I was born in 1959, I remember before going to kindergarten, having ice cream at this place.

I am sure someone else remembers this place, probly 1963/64

Ghost

ghost
Sep '11

Oldman You r an asset to HL. I so enjoy the history that u provide.

apple apple
Sep '11

the Ice Cream stand you speak of was Three Pines...after rt 80 opened up and through traffic dwindled on rt 46...many of those businesses closed up...I believe Three Pines hung on until the mid 1970s...even after rt 80 opened up...Island Dragway still brought a lot of traffic on rt 46...on weekends...now heres a mental cob web tester...there was a snack bar right at the top of Vienna Hill...in the late 1970s...the name was Las Vegas...who remembers...

oldman oldman
Sep '11

that was on the east bound side Rt 46 the building is still there this to has been other things over the years its about 100 yards be for johnson rd

Sep '11

Ok up on top of schoolies mountain there is a church I think its St timothys there was a old dirt road that came down the mountain to hastings square any one other than me ever use that road and why did they let it grow over

Sep '11

Bump this up for Garden. Enjoy

You should also read part 1

Phil D Phil D
Nov '11

Great old memories....I wish Mick & Hedys was still around. Hagaman's Shell, the Central House, Hackettstown Exxon, Rockaway Sales, Dad & Lads, Knechel Ford, Kevil Chevrolet etc etc. Miss those days.

Mark B.
Mar '12

caged animal...the road is still there but it has been closed and abandoned for years...it was at best a dirt road...and not very well maintained

oldman oldman
Mar '12

I always think of the oil pit at the john deere dealer on stiger st. They dug a pit about 3ft off of trout brooke the plan was when brooke went over its banks it would wash oil out of pit. It was a large pit I would guess it could hold 2000gal had a small trench from shop so they could just dump oil on floor during repairs. To make it safe for us kids they stacked old batterys around it so we couldnt fall in. We enjoyed throwing the batterys into pit and watching them sink. But then Minny would chase us. Wow imagine doing this today EPA would own you. But when pyronix chemical burnt down they dug a very big pit and covered everything under dirt. Before it was covered we found some really cool army med supplys ect. in that pit spent alot of time in that chemical waste pit as a kid digging around. Got a big spool few 100ft of TNT fuse out of it hide it in the woods was cool too burn it underwater. The big mound of land on the property is the location of that pit.

Anyone here ever work at GAMMA chemical in the meddows it was later bought out by ashland. Thats why I live in Htown most of the men in our family worked there at one time. We moved up here from newark area when newark kicked them out for to much pollution. They wanted to find a area that no one would care about. WOW so they picked a spot rite in the middle of lettuce fealds. Mom would always want dad working in the CS room cause much better pay you would be sick afterwards and it was 12hr shifts cause if they where going to make you sick they couldnt have everyone in the plant sick at the same time.

as far as Gamma Chemical...who remembers the big tear gas leak back in the early 70s...people could not go out doors...and the children were kept home from school for days... it took almost week for the gas to dissipate...when they plow the fields near that plant there is still residue in the dirt...I remember Pyronics also...after the big fire in the Pyronics plant in Port Murray...they closed down...we used to sneak into the abandoned plant there was containers of chemicals everywhere...there was an old truck back in one of the sheds...the phones even still worked...we used to get out these huge old fire extinguishers...and spray them...all over...the John Deere shop oil pit brings back memories too...that was nasty...it used to smell really bad...they used to power wash trailers at that place and all the dirty water ran into that pit...theres grass growing there now

oldman oldman
Mar '12

being we are talking about great meadows do you remember the genneral store in viennia where the post office is on water street

Mar '12

that depends on which post office you are asking about...this is a picture of the Great Meadows Post Office from 1912...there are still questions about where it was located exactly...and also the date Vienna got its Post Office

oldman oldman
Mar '12

yes now I remember them washing out the trucks behind john deere mostly meat trailers. I only remember it cause for some reason we always thought it was cool to take the meat hooks that they hung the meat from in the trailers.

Caged: The General Store was located right there where the Vienna Post Office was and is still located. Hubby's Mom lived up over the Post Office for many years and now family members are still there.

Joyful Joyful
Mar '12

Orange Pit I didnt notice anyone mention the orange pit. I always thought it was a cool place cause when ever my grandparents watched us they would take us there. I notice oxy chem mentioned road our dirt bikes back there alot. anyone remember them building rt80 it was like a drag strip for use on mini bikes 3.5hp could almost hit 30mph on that sand very flat and went on for ever. we would collect all the old blasting wire that layed around in the rocks cause as young boys we knew it was cool stuff if they used it to blow up rocks.

I remember the Orange Pit...towards the end of its existence...the nickname was the Arm Pit...as far as Oxy Chemical...that place closed years ago... there are some very well preserved sections of the Morris Canal on that property...there is a road that starts at the Waterloo rd/railroad crossing area and goes through that site and ends on old Bilbys rd...that whole property was formerly listed on old maps as being owned by the Wintermute family

oldman oldman
Mar '12

I know Joyful , My Aunt shirley Sargent lived down the street next to were Sargents Oil was located
when i was young we would walk up to the store after lunch and to get the mail ,
We all do live in a great part of the state , Back then water street was not a fast paced street as it is to day

Mar '12

There was a roller skating rink on Main St in Hackettstown. I used to skate there. Which building was it in?

4paws 4paws
Mar '12

4 paws: Years ago there used to be two roller skating rinks in Hackettstown (Not at the same time, of course.) One was under the Old Second Time Around Store and the other used to be under the Old Lemasters Cleaners Store next to the now Sunrise Dairy Store.

Joyful Joyful
Mar '12

what was the name of that little grocery store that sat where rite aid is now. I remember the son who hung out there was named lou. the family lived rite at the store really run down place I had only been in there a few times.

Aguy: I believe that was called Carl's Place. We lived in Kenwood Village at the time and if I recall, that was the name.

Joyful Joyful
Mar '12

alot of people here say how htown has gotten worse over the years. But I remember when there was a head shop on main st. it was there for a few yrs no one seemed to mind it back then. I would guess if a head shop opened up on main st today alot of people would flip. it later was a record shop.

Rusty, What about rusty he was a great retailer in htown he even had a tail. He was always there when I was a kid. I think he even went to bank for them.

Rusty was the dog who belonged to the family who owned Kostenbaders Liquors...he was a nice dog...who I used to pet on my way home from school...and yes he did bring the stores money bags to the Hackettstown bank for deposit...

oldman oldman
Mar '12

I remember Rusty too taking the deposit bags over to the bank. He was a beautiful dog and really very mild mannered. I used to take the deposit bags over to the bank also for the store I worked for in full sight of the public. Back then we never worried about locking our doors or being robbed. As aguy stated....that would not be the case today with a lot of things.

Joyful Joyful
Mar '12

I went to school with Linda, whose Mom was Shirley, owner of Kostenbader's. She recently clarified the "legend of Rusty" on Facebook. Rusty did indeed carry the bank deposits to the bank, but Rusty was chaperoned by an employee, Bogey Beers.

deviljet
Mar '12

Deviljet: We had lunch with Linda and her sister a few years ago when we were visiting in Florida. They haven't changed one bit!

Joyful Joyful
Mar '12

Does anyone remember a chocolate maker (retired from Mars Co.) who made and sold special items from his home at Easter? He also made chocolate sculptures for competition: an Eiffel Tower, etc. Anyone know his name? My daughter was asking what I remembered, so she could tell my 8-year old grandson.

Carolyn Watters Carolyn Watters
Feb '13

not sure of the spelling but his name was Marcel Antwone

help
Feb '13

Marcel was a very talented man. I used to take my daughters there every year to see his wonderful chocolate creations. Of course we also bought easter candy. He and his wife were very nice. I remember reading several years ago he had passed away.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Feb '13

I remember going to Marcel Antoine's home where each Easter they had one room full of candy (good chocolate) for sale and I used to buy some for my children's Easter Baskets. He used to make a different chocolate creation each year and have it on display there as well.

joyful joyful
Feb '13

Downtown about 1940~41
Find the cat in this photo

Peter Tuohy Peter Tuohy
Aug '14

Found the cat. I think it needs a bench to sit on though...facing the businesses. ; )

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Aug '14

Marcel and his wife were close friends of our family. Besides being excellent at chocolate, many people might not know that they were actually Jewish, but had barely escaped Nazi Germany and were thereafter known as Belgian. Some time after they moved from Russling Road, their car was hit by a drunk driver and one of them died there and the other later, I don't recall which order.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Aug '14

Thanks for refreshing my memory, Reggie Voter. I do remember hearing about the accident and also remember their faces as well from visits to the candy store. I also remember the big Eiffel Tower Marcel made and had on display in their candy shop. If I recall he also worked primarily at M&M candies here in Hackettstown.

joyful joyful
Aug '14

If it helps any in the discussion, I found this on the Hist Soc site:

http://hackettstownhistory.com/obituary/Obit-Antoine_Marcel.pdf

Was there a bowling alley on the Hackettstown Hill where the parking area is just before the area where Target is now. Across form the radio station.

DiaHillRes2 DiaHillRes2
Aug '14

DiaHillRes2
yes there was a bowling ally long ago

Aug '14

Yes, the bowling alley must have closed & was torn down @ 50 years ago.

There was a fire at the bowling ally that is why they closed down

Onlooker
Aug '14

I've been away for several years now. Miss all the trivia, especially the pictures Oldman used to put on this site. What happened to him? Is he still around? I guess I qualify as Oldman II. I go back to the late 1940's early 1950's. Had a checking account at Peoples National Bank when I was in college.

Michael S. Sheier Michael S. Sheier
Nov '14

Oldman remembered so much town history that he should have written a book. How old was oldman? Did he ever say? Be great if this website doesn't disappear. Who maintains it? It's nice not having to go through Facebook to read these pages.

Belle Belle
Apr '15

An old bowling award plaque from Hackettstown Lanes.

Shopper
Apr '15

gone about 50 yrs or so - I remember going there sometime in high school - I don"t think it was there very long - The highway was one road ? I do not remember when they made it 2 roads - up and down !!!!

Peggy Shanahan Peggy Shanahan
Apr '15

Belle - What do you mean talking in the past tense, he just answered you. Or at least he posted because he didn't answer the question of his age. I think you'd be surprised. ;-)

Did Oldman ever post again after March 2012? That was nearly 4 1/2 years ago.

I still visit the Hackettstown Forum from time to time.I read current topics.

Oldman
Jul '16

Gem - As I already said, "Oldman" answered Belle already. Oldman has posted on this forum non-stop for almost 10 years. Non-stop, just under about 75 different names. "Shopper" as in "Shopper-Rite" is just one of those many names. There is no 4 1/2 year gap. He was barely 50 then, mid 50's now. The "old" part isn't so old considering I had breakfast with people far older and spoke to his 1st cousin who is older than he is.

Wow, GC you just keep tabs on everybody.What do you do on your time off from this forum.Spoke with my 1st cousin.Interesting....

Oldman
Aug '16

Grew up in Kenwood Village; then Plane Street in high school. Cut through the quarry to get to the high school. Orange Pit, Central House (later), hanging out at Centenary almost every night during HS. Worked in the kitchen at Centenary. The Buddies. Later.

CaptG CaptG
May '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.