Blackstones Restaurant @ the old Smokehouse

Anyone have any information on this. I thought Pietros' was going there?

Firefly Firefly
Jun '11

i thought the smoke house was re-opening!

redbend redbend
Jun '11

Something other than Pietro's would be a good thing. Hopefully they will have BEER.

redbend - Previous thread. http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/275913

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '11

Pietro's is opening where the old smokehouse was in Independence.

JustMe JustMe
Jun '11

JustMe - Under a different name then?

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '11

I just passed there yesterday. It definitely says Black Stones on the building. (in Independence)

SueR - is it written in spray paint like the old "(Not) Coming Soon!" sign? ;-)

Aquarius Aquarius
Jun '11

LMAO Aquarius! I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to say it. Glad you did though. ;-)

It's certainly possible that the Pietro's people are opening a different type of restaurant in this location. Black Stones certainly isn't a name for an Italian restaurant.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '11

What if they call it Black Stones Bistro? That absolutely SCREAMS Italian food to me (-;

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Jun '11

The name Blackstones is on the very nice awning over the front door. The inside looks the same just spiffy and brand new.

Firefly Firefly
Jun '11

Calico - I could not help myself. That sign was a true classic.

I will also say that the Pietro's rumor dates back to before the Smokehouse burned. So I will believe that when I see it, like the Olive Garden by Target or Cara Mia's grand re-opening.

I hope that whoever is opening Black Stones bought the Smokehouse's liquor license.

Aquarius Aquarius
Jun '11

I thought they were going by there name but they are keeping the other restaurant open, so maybe this is why.
I did hear that they will be having different foods on the menu. maybe this is why a name change also.

JustMe JustMe
Jun '11

Same owners, (Pietros) different type of restaurant. they do have a liquor license. Gutted the inside & CLEANED big time. Same type of lay out in the resturant but everything is new.

vicnity vicnity
Jun '11

I just got an invitation to bid on the Olive Garden by Target, so that may not be a rumor.

krisandkelly krisandkelly
Jun '11

krisandkelly - they can't all just be rumors, LOL. But still, I will believe it when I see it.

Aquarius Aquarius
Jun '11

krisandkelly - what do you mean by "invitation to bid"?

Copygirl Copygirl
Jun '11

Copygirl, I think Kris is an electrician so he probably got an invitation to bid on the electrical contract for the building construction.

ianimal ianimal
Jun '11

Could this be what's coming????

http://www.blackstones.com/

"Not that there's anything wrong with it" ;)

Re: Blackstones Restaurant @ the old Smokehouse

That could be interesting...This is a picture from an event at Blackstones

Firefly Firefly
Jun '11

You think those tuxedo tails are covering up assless chaps?

ianimal ianimal
Jun '11

Vicnity is correct. My friend works at Pietros and confirmed -same owners another name. The original spot will remain for now.

Sue R, LOL!

"Same owners, (Pietros) different type of restaurant."

I hope it's a different chef. ;-)

If they will have a liquor license, we will definitely try it. Anybody have an idea of an opening date?

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '11

Liquor license makes everything taste better ;-)
And yes I'm got an ITB for the electrical. Right now they might still be fishing to see if the spot will bear out the cost of construction and rate of return.

krisandkelly krisandkelly
Jun '11

I guess the name Blackstones is better than Blueballs which might have been in the running for the new name.

youngnfresh youngnfresh
Jun '11

hope the food is better than Pietros

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Jun '11

Can I just say I am glad the name is apparently Blackstones and not Black Stones?

Aquarius Aquarius
Jun '11

I thought Black Stones was a description of their meatballs (-;

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Jun '11

Err - that's one way of putting what it brought to my mind.

Aquarius Aquarius
Jun '11

The awning over the door is brand new, is 2 words: Black Stones. I know people say HTown is going down, but now if you check out the post above, the website (not that there is anything wrong with it) ....a gay bar???? I mean, come on. REALLY??? If its not a gay bar ... they should have researched a name... I don't know if I really care how good the food is... I don't think you'll see my family there... and if anyone sees my husband there...um... let me know, I'll just pack up and leave town.

grateful2bealive grateful2bealive
Jun '11

Wow! Won't see your family there? As far as I know these local people have been in the restaurant business close to 25 yrs. Like any other restaurant ( or any business) some people like it others do not. They contribute to all kinds of fundraisers from many different schools and organizations. Not sure why people find the name "Black Stones" so odd or offensive. Instead of so many negative comments, perhaps wait till the place opens and give it a try. Seems they are working hard to fix up the place and make a go of it, after all this is their livelihood.

vicnity vicnity
Jun '11

vicinity - See SueR's post above. You missed the point if you didn't read it and click on the link. That's what the joking is about, not the actual restaurant. :)

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '11

Calico696, Didn't bother to look at the link first time around, just saw it~ lol. Def. not what this one will be! Thanks.

vicnity vicnity
Jun '11

vicnity - my comments were jokes only about the name, not the actual restaurant. You can believe my husband and I will try it, and wish the endeavor much success.

Aquarius Aquarius
Jun '11

I look forward to their opening. Good luck Black Stones.

Jonelle
Jun '11

vicinity - Glad you are now in the loop. :) It's funny if you sometimes skip over one or two posts in a thread you can get the wrong idea....LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '11

I was ref to the gay bar link... IF its a gay bar, you won't see .... just sayin'

Jun '11

Did they fix the septic running into the parking lot? The smell?

Jun '11

Anything new?

eapos eapos
Jul '11

Yeah, when is this joint opening? Do they need any bartenders? I have a friend that is looking.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '11

I have been by Black Stones and the outside looks so good. Really clean and classy. I heard they would open the end of July so it's coming up. Why not try calling Pietros'and inquire there.

Firefly Firefly
Jul '11

wow this great west of town we will have blackstones ,bar 46 , crystal swan ,herbbies.stage dolls. nykums. villia venus crossroads diner ,belviders diner, luie's, the rancho als pizza .a chinese place . the bestro , a truck stop , hunters lodge , another truck stop ,and the log cabin , all on 46 fine food and drink

Jul '11

Does anone know when Black Stones is going to open??

Jonelle
Jul '11

they put up the sign outside the old smokehouse...it states Blackstones package goods and Pizza

oldman oldman
Aug '11

Above that it says Bar and Grill

vicnity vicnity
Aug '11

so it's a pizzaria carry out?

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Aug '11

No. Bar and Grill. Pizza is on the menu. Many other app. salads, burgers & other main dishes.
Believe you can get food to go.

vicnity vicnity
Aug '11

The whole place looks really nice on the outside - even the sign!

Firefly Firefly
Aug '11

They are serving food, steaks, chops, past, pizza and much more. Also takeout.
And adult beverages.

Mmphtown Mmphtown
Aug '11

I wonder if everyone is going to complain about the sewer smell like they did with the Smokehouse.

Aug '11

"And adult beverages."

Sweeet! :)

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '11

JeffersonRepub - you are so right to think that! That was the worst part of going to the Smokehouse - that awful stench. It was one of the reasons we stopped going there. Hope it got fixed (if we smell lots of air freshener in the new place, I guess we'll know it wasn't!).

Jules Jules
Aug '11

So, anyone know when it's going to open?

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '11

I saw people there last night. Not sure if it was open to the public or if it was a private celebration.

The restaurant opened yesterday. I stopped by to pick up a menu in the afternoon.

jennifer1 jennifer1
Aug '11

Great thanks. :)

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '11

I miss the Smokehouse. We will be trying this out soon, I am sure. Pretty close to home as well.

joyful joyful
Aug '11

Anyone up for a happy hour there?
I would like to try it too. I also saw that it was open..a soft opening is always the best way to go.

Firefly Firefly
Aug '11

So, we have established that they have beer and pizza. The next important question is....how many TVs do they have? In other words, what the sports viewing atmosphere like, if any?

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '11

Saw one Large one over the Bar. Did not look around for any others.

vicnity vicnity
Aug '11

Thanks vicinity. Hopefully, someone will scope it out further...LOL

I'm in the market for a new NFL viewing venue this season. The bar that I went to last season is not having the NFL Sunday Ticket anymore. Seems there aren't too many places around that have it anymore except Applebee's (yuck....LOL).

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '11

I saw one TV over the bar. The other thing I noticed was the seating was different. The higher pub style tables and chairs were on the left side and in the bar area. The lower normal height tables and chairs were on the right side as you walk in. Different from what was there as the Smokehouse--but nice.

jennifer1 jennifer1
Aug '11

Hmmm, one TV won't be enough. Guess it's out for NFL. :(

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '11

picked up a copy of the menu, very nice assortment of burgers. sand. salads. Large amount of appetizers, About 13 entrees, most expensive $17.95. anxious to try it.

vicnity vicnity
Aug '11

vicinity - What does the menu say about the pizza? Meaning is it regular pizza, brick oven, wood oven.....? Standard toppings, pepperoni, sausage, peppers etc. or non-standard eggplant, margeherita, buffalo chicken etc.?

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '11

standard pizza, plus "gourmet" Buf. Chix, Margarita. Vegetable, Meat lover, Hawaiin (bacon & pineapple) *Having gotten pizza fm. Pietros before, they will do just about any kind of pizza you want, assuming (?) they will do the same here. Bar Pie $8.95 topping $1,25. ( that is for reg pie, standard topping. Gourmet pie. Bar pie 10.95 Large Gourmet 18.95
Reg lg. pie is 11.95, toppings 2.50 each. Hope that helps.

vicnity vicnity
Aug '11

Thanks, I appreciate your response. :)

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '11

Calico: Before you ask...they still have a small bathroom.
So..get planning a Happy Hour or should the HLers scope it out for lunch first?

joyful joyful
Aug '11

Can you scan the menu and post on here? That would be great if you can!

JustMe JustMe
Aug '11

Stopped into Blackstones last night - neither one of us is gay as far as we know. Anyhoo, we had beer - "Alagash White" very nice, and ordered Malbec, but were told they didn't have it, only pinot noir which I forced myself to drink. Ordered bar pies: one with sausage, one Margarita. Crust: very crunchy and rustic, but somewhat tasteless once it cools down. It def needs spices i.e. garlic or salt or perhaps rye flour. Toppings on Margarita: fresh, delicious, not enough basil. Sausage: simply pedestrian - flabby and sliced and obviously low grade. If you charge $10.00 per small bar pie, you need crumbled sausage with fennel to make the pie really shine. Ambience: pleasant, very friendly and neighborly. Wait staff - super nice. Drinks: good, but over priced. Pizza: needs tweaking.

Black Cat Black Cat
Aug '11

Alagash White is awesome! :)

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '11

The menu is a temporary one. To see what the market is? So please give them yor feedback.
Do you like the menu design?

Mmphtown Mmphtown
Aug '11

To be clear, I was being sarcastic. I never smelled sewer at the Smokehouse- I loved the place. I'm just wondering if the same people will smell it at Blackstone's... can anybody verify if there was any sewer work done?

Aug '11

Black Cat Are you a food critic? Your review seems very professional sounding.

Firefly Firefly
Aug '11

Was packed tonight. Parking major problem.

MikeL MikeL
Aug '11

I drove by tonight and the place was packed...Great News...I hope they do well..I like having a quality establishment close by.

jennifer1 jennifer1
Aug '11

That septic smell was at the smokehouse and when it was bad it drifted to bar 46 even. It was also present at the Italian place thatbwas there before smokehouse. It was not co stant but when it acts up it is very pungent.

muffin muffin
Aug '11

So, unless Blackstone had the sewer/septic repaired, I'll be expecting to see people complaining about the smell AGAIN...

Don't mind me. I'm just pissed the SH is gone, very good BBQ and one of the better places to eat & drink around here.

Aug '11

Muffin: I remember that too. Sure hope the new owners got that condition cleared up as it did not make it too appetizing to go there to eat with septic smells.

joyful joyful
Aug '11

I would think that the new owners were aware of the previous problem & had the system inspected properly. They will also be sure not to put grease, etc down the drains.

vicnity vicnity
Aug '11

So now Smokehouse was -allegedly- putting grease down the drains???

Aug '11

But the smokehouse had the same problem that came from the place before it...seems it was either ignored by the smokehouse for all those years or it is not easily fixable, no?

muffin muffin
Aug '11

The lack of parking has been a problem before when it was the Smokehouse. It will be a popular place to go and hope you can park and get in. Maybe we should car pool to the HH's? I will be your DD.

mansfield mama mansfield mama
Aug '11

They are working on a remedy. Because everyone is asking for menus, they called me to make up more for this afternoon. It ruins my sesion with HL. & Facebook, bummer.

mmphtown mmphtown
Aug '11

hey wait a minute...how are there 2 blackcats? i thought I posted something in the wrong thread...
oh well....

blackcat blackcat
Aug '11

...and, as I understand it, the lack of parking (the adjacent lot no longer being able to be used by the restaurant for additional parking) is why the SH decided to NOT go back in there. I can only imagine Blackstones is going to have exactly the same problem

Aug '11

Sayonara smokehouse! Between the stench in the parking lot and the socially awkward cowboy, it's a welcome change. Can't wait to try blackstones.

Good review Blackcat! I like specifics, not "it was good" or "it was bad". On a side note, I stopped going to Long Valley Brew Pub on account of that raw sewage odor. Several of the last few times I was there, a smell like an open septic tank would hit you in the face when you walked in. Anybody know if it still stinks?

Bruin Bruin
Aug '11

@Jefferson, I miss the Smokehouse cooking too. No places around here for Southern style BBQ complete with collard greens and black eye peas!

Bruin Bruin
Aug '11

LVBP too???? I go there all the time, have been going there since they opened, and have NEVER smelled sewer there?????????

Aug '11

anyone have the phone #? can't find it on web... tryin to order a pizza to pick up instead of villa venice.....

anyone try anything else beside pizza?

catmom catmom
Aug '11

Blackstones #441.2023

mmphtown mmphtown
Aug '11

Agreed - MCR

socially awkward cowboy -

Firefly Firefly
Aug '11

Just my 2 little cents worth but both the food and company were great to me. I only had an appetizerm a burger, and a beer however it pleased me and my friend quite well!The cost was good. We will be going back! Did not notice any smell this time around so that was also a good thing! I hope they do well!

CARNi CARNi
Aug '11

Just got home from having a great meal at Blackstone's. This place gets 5 stars! Appetizer of Buffalo Calamari was to die for. My husband had the ribs and I was lucky enough to get a couple of bites of his luscious meal. I ordered the salmon and it was soooo great that I begrudgingly gave him some of mine. AND....as Pete from Pietro's is famous for the dishes were huge and we ended up bringing some home. I don't plan on sharing...just too great. We went for an early dinner and by the time we left there wasn't a seat to be found. Good luck to Blackstone's but you won't need luck.

lsricc lsricc
Aug '11

We, too, went to Black Stones tonight. It was excellent! We had salads (very good), fish and chips (pretty good), a buffalo chicken bar pizza (delicious), and a corkscrew pasta and chicken pasta dish that was outstanding. We had appetizers (Black and Tan onion rings and calamari -- yum) and wine and fried oreos for dessert!

The atmosphere was quite comfortable, the staff was very accommodating, and the prices were reasonable. All in all, it was an excellent dinner out, and we will definitely be back.

Congratulation, Black Stones Bar and Grill! Good luck!

Hopeful in H-town Hopeful in H-town
Aug '11

Does anyone know if shrimp scampi is on the menu?

Magpie Magpie
Aug '11

It wasn't tonight but their current menu states that they will be updating that menu in a few weeks.

lsricc lsricc
Aug '11

Firefly, no not a critic, just a foodie extraordinaire! I'm excited to have this new place to eat though, and I look forward to going back to try those onion rings and calamari. Beers are so fun and unusual - forgot to mention we also tried a lemony citrus beer while there that was fresh and absolutely unique. I only imagine how cozy and fun this place will be in the winter time. By the way, I smelled nothing unusual there last week, or back when it was SH - and I have a very keen nose. IMO the menu should be reflective of the area - you know how the "Chef" always says "fresh and local?" Pasta, soup, pizza all with local ingredients - how about pizza with sheep's cheese from Long Valley? Tomato sauce from Bests tomatoes? A flexible menu that depends on area produce, etc. Maybe I watch too much Gordan Ramsey!!

BlackestCat BlackestCat
Aug '11

Does anyone know if the restaurant is closed on any day and is lunch available?

Aug '11

You can contact Joel@mmphtown.com for a PDF File pf the menu.

Mmphtown Mmphtown
Aug '11

Just back from there and it was like "old home week"...the people was packed with people we know and pretty busy for a Sunday evening. DH & I just split a large pie more to be nosey than hungry but they did a lot of work inside and the place looks really nice. Friends that were there selected from the menu and as someone said..it was Peitros style..no one goes away from there hungry.

joyful joyful
Aug '11

Isricc;

Thanks.

Magpie Magpie
Aug '11

Just got back from eating there , it was very good with large portions. The place is very very clean and there was no odor at all. The menu was nice with a good variety of food, both our meals were fantastic and Patti our waitress was great also.

earnhardt earnhardt
Aug '11

Does it seem like Blackstones is a place we could bring the kids (ages 4 & 7)? Always looking for a local place to have great pizza and calamari!

Mom of 1&1 Mom of 1&1
Aug '11

I hope they have Magic nights

Aug '11

I would say you could bring the kids, the dining area is somewhat seperated from the bar area. I also think there would be plenty for the kids to choose from on the menu.

earnhardt earnhardt
Aug '11

Nice to see you and your DW last night as well at Blackstones, Earnhardt,

joyful joyful
Aug '11

I sent out the PDF files of the menu. If you didn't get them, please resend your request.

mmphtown mmphtown
Aug '11

the long valley brew pub no longer smells like that.....i know what you are talking about though....one night last year we ate there outside and had to move indoors.

i was on my way to newton on 206, not sure of the town but close to newton there is a new smokehouse there, believe it is the same people..

cant wait to try out the new black stones

flowergirl flowergirl
Aug '11

Hi Joyful yes it was very nice to see you and your husband last night. It was really funny because after you left we knew almost everyone coming in the door almost felt like Norm from Cheers!!!

earnhardt earnhardt
Aug '11

DH and I went to Black Stonea today for lunch. Very nice place. We shared a Stromboli and had a couple glasses of wine. Wait staff was very good. I did find out that they are closed on Monday's until football season.

Jonelle
Aug '11

Thanks for the info Jonelle. We will have to try it sometime soon.

Aug '11

I found out they were closed on Monday's when I got there last night. Please post the hours somewhere Black Stones.

Firefly Firefly
Aug '11

Caged, my hubby made a similar comment when he first learned the name.

We ate there this evening with our 10 y/o. The waitress was very nice and our food was great! We'll be going again.

Panda Panda Koala Panda Panda Koala
Aug '11

Is the food like Pietro's or different?

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Aug '11

Their pizza is pretty much the same and although we did not have meals the evening we went there..our friends did and it looked to be the same large portions. They all seemed pleased with their meals. Seemed the prices of entrees was lower than what I recall at the regular Pietros.

joyful joyful
Aug '11

The smell at long valley brew pub is usually the cow farm down the road. And sheep. Hopefully they cleaned the septic at black stones. But let's see in a few mths as it fills back up what happens.

muffin muffin
Aug '11

I really wanted to love this place, but I can't. I have been twice, overall impression, its expensive. Craft beers go up to $6-which is crazy. I realize that they have only been open a week or so, but this is Hackettstown, not Manhattan. First time we ordered the pizza, it was somewhat bland and very doughy. The next time, we ordered from the burger/wrap section of the menu. My husband got a cheese steak which came out on a round roll (wierd IMHO), and it was so chopped up that it almost looked like cat food. I got a chicken ceasar wrap which seemed to have no ceasar dressing. Very boring if you ask me. The thing is-no fries come with the sandwiches or wraps or even burgers. How can you charge $7-10 and not even give fries? Kind of disapointed and so didn't want to be.

i agree with girl. I was looking for a new place to hang out because marleys doesnt do it for me either. i tried black stones twice and it was bland and just ok. i tried the pizza and the spinach and arti. dip. Can see myself trying it again for awhile.

weedwacker weedwacker
Aug '11

Saw on the menu that the Chicken Caesar wrap is 6.95, perhaps you could have asked for more dressing on the side? Wraps can be tricky, to much dressing & they are somewhat mushy, you can always add more but can't take off if it is to "wet". Cheessteak is 7.95, agree would not want it served on a rd roll. Many times i do not want fries with burgers & sandwichs but there they are. I like the option of ordering a side of fries for 2.95. All sounds very comparable to "chain restaurant prices"

vicnity vicnity
Aug '11

We tried Blackstone's last night. The place looks much brighter and cleaner than before. They did a really nice job of improving the atmosphere.

No smell of septic which was great. ;)

Food-wise, it was fine. We had the corkscrew pasta and chicken dish - very good with nice flavor; meatball parmigiana sandwich - great sauce; and a dinner salad which was fine.
Have to agree with Girl that a side should be included. They didn't even serve bread before the meals or at least with the salad.

The portions were not huge as several people mentioned earlier.

The beer selections were ok.

Service-wise, it was not so good. It took awhile for our waitress to take our drink order - by the time she came back to do so, we were ready to order everything. Then she asked if we wanted our salad with our meal or before. We said before but it ended up coming with the meals which again took awhile to get there.

As soon as we finished eating, she brought the check and didn't ask if we wanted dessert or coffee. We had planned on having coffee but were so dissatisfied with the service that we paid and left to have dessert somewhere else.

We know they just opened so I'm hoping they get these kinks worked out.

Can someone clarify - it's Pietro's owners...is that the old Pieto's or the new one?

Jules Jules
Aug '11

The Brew Pub smells like that because of the septic....it ALWAYS has. I remember the managers telling people that it was "propane from the lamps"...lol. My DH says eating on the porch there should be called "Dining al Feces" instead of "Dining al Fresco." Lol!!

kelleo22 kelleo22
Aug '11

We ate there yesterday. Food was very good. Irish nachos were terrific,french fries with peppers,onions cheese,mushrooms,olives and brown gravy. YUM> Ribs were excellent. Sweet BBQ sauce,very tender. Fish and chips great also. Fish tender inside crunchy outside. Burgers were great. Service was wonderful. My one "dislike" no substitutions. Example,you can't switch sweet potato fries for french fries.
We will go back.

suzique suzique
Aug '11

We went back again last night as well and this time DH had the ribs which are $16.95 on the menu. This was a full rack of ribs and as Susique mentioned...they were really good. DH is very fussy when it comes to ribs for dinner but he said they were excellent. Everything is alacarte so you do not get salad or anything else with your meal for that price..did not have bread or rolls either which we can do without but some people do like with their meal. I had a small stromboli for $8.95 and it was good (my favorite place still for the sauce is Villa Venice). They are new and still have some "kinks" to iron out which I am sure they will realize as time goes by.

joyful joyful
Aug '11

We went last week. I ordered the chicken quesedilla's, barely any chicken it them. It was chicken & cheese, that's it! No flavor whatsoever. My bf ordered the beer battered fish sandwich and received a meal! Really! We place our simple order with the bartender and 10 mins later a guy at the bar ordered his BBF sandwich and received his meal before us. I was highly disappointed with the food and service considering this is Pete's place. Hopefully when Pietro's closes it's doors by Blockbuster, Black Stones improves.

The only positive things I can say are, it is clearly much cleaner looking, amazing what a fresh coat of paint will do. The women's bathroom is a "real" bathroom, compared to the "shit hole" that is was. And they have a brand new septic! Let's hope it holds up!

Townie70 Townie70
Aug '11

Townie70 - is Pete the owner of the current Pietro's or was he the former owner?

Jules Jules
Aug '11

Pete is the current owner.

anyone got a phone number or web site for them yet? Seem to be ungoogleable (oh no, auntie em.....)

Aug '11

pete is not the owner. it is rented. septic not replaced. public record. will def patronize.

tennis star tennis star
Aug '11

wait till the gost of the three pines comes out to play in oct

Aug '11

Caged: What is the ghost of the three pines???

joyful joyful
Aug '11

Blackstones is updating the menu.

mmphtown mmphtown
Aug '11

Went to go for dinner last night (Tuesday) and it was closed! I had a very disappointed group that was looking forward to trying it all day. I wish they would get their schedule straightened out.

just saying is all
Aug '11

Believe that at some point they will be closed on Mondays, however with Monday night football they will remain open, hence the Tuesday night closing.

vicnity vicnity
Aug '11

I was there last night and have to say the place sucks there is no other way to put it. The food was so bad they charge way to much come on black stones we are in greatmeadows not ny also we sat down the table was dirty and it took over 10 mom for someone to even ask us for a drink. The place is not that big no reason for it I will never go back again. I would rather go to burger king. So just a heads up people don't try it out

Htown mom Htown mom
Aug '11

I can't wait for that new place down the road to open tried bar 46 for some drinks and it was ok alot of young kids. My hubby and I need a nice place to relax anyone have any ideas?

Htown mom Htown mom
Aug '11

Htown - I too do not like going to Bar 46 due to the large amount of young 'ens there. My DH and felt like grandma and grandpa. LOL

We used to love Island Park, as it was a very mixed group of people there. Since it closed we have been like nomads. :(

JP Kelly's in Great Meadows is decent. Has a pool table, jukebox and a mixed crowd.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '11

After going on a Monday night a few weeks ago and found out they were closed - decided to do on a Tuesday night ( last night) Now they are closed on Tues. nights. The hours are now listed. noon to midnight on Sun, Mon, Wed Thur Noon to 1 am Fri and Sat.

Firefly Firefly
Aug '11

So some have had good experiences, some have had bad, but for H'town mom to flat out tell people to not even try it, well, that's a bit harsh. All new places have kinks to work out. If I went somewhere and absolutely hated it, I'd be sure to let people know (including the manager at the restaurant), but who am I to tell people not to even give them a chance?

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Aug '11

I agree Lori. We will definitely try it for ourselves.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '11

Agree with Lori on this one. Did H'town mom speak with anyone about her problems? Brand new rest. def have to work out kinks, thats nothing new. I Have not been there yet but have seen the menu. NY prices? I saw nothing out of line, matter of fact compared it with several "chain" rest. in the area, prices are comparable give or take a dollar or two either way. Do not know what they are charging for bar drinks.

vicnity vicnity
Aug '11

I like bar 46. Some nights have more college students but doesn't bother me. And their bar pies are yummy and cheaper than black stones!

muffin muffin
Aug '11

So is it official then that they did not fix the septic?

I really don't want to walk through that again.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Aug '11

With all of the pros and cons that have been mentioned, unless I missed, it I did not see anything about the septic smell, regardless of whether or not it has been fixed. I guess the simple answer, RV, if you don't want to "walk through that again" is to not go. It almost seems as though you're hoping for this not to have been done. It's a new local place, let's be positive!

Lori...Since '73 Lori...Since '73
Aug '11

Reggie Voter, why don't you just call and
ask if the septic has been fixed? or stop in for a bite to eat & ask?

vicnity vicnity
Aug '11

It definitely does NOT smell of septic - outside or inside. If the septic has not be fixed it won't be long before they lose customers just like the Smokehouse did.

Jules Jules
Aug '11

Enjoyed our meals there last week. Brought my 7 year old son and the atmosphere was fine for children. Only complaint - we ordered Italian dishes and weren't served bread before the meal. Would like to see them serving bread with entrees. Will definitely go there again.

Kimann70 Kimann70
Aug '11

We went for a girls night out last Friday and had a great time. Our food was served hot and everything was fresh. I would have liked some salad or bread to be included with the meal-but the portions were large anyway. The appetizers were ok--we ordered the chicken wings and calamari. I have had better. The chicken wings were a little bland and the calamari had lots of breading. We ordered two salmon entrees, a chicken entree and lobster ravioli. We shared and enjoyed them all. I thought the portions were large. It wasn't crowded and we were not rushed out when it did get busy. The entree prices and drinks were reasonable --5$ for a glass of house wine and 7$ a glass for pink cosmo. Bathroom was very clean and remodeled. There was no septic smell anywhere..I would definately recommend the establishment and go again myself. In addition, the bartender was super nice and our server was great.

jennifer1 jennifer1
Aug '11

Give Blackstone a chance. I think it's good for the neigborwood. Sit back and enjoy.

Jonelle
Aug '11

I keep hearing that there is no bread or salad as part of the meal. Sounds like everything is ala carte. Not a fan of that at all. I expect my $17 - $20 meal to come with a salad, bread, entree, and at the very least a starch.

Firefly Firefly
Aug '11

Starch fattens asses....LOL I would be upset about no salad though. Hopefully DH and I will get down there this weekend to try it.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '11

That may be...but I only eat out once in a while...I consider it a treat and that includes some kind of starch. Still planning on trying it... maybe this weekend and we can compare notes Calico696.

Firefly Firefly
Aug '11

Hubby and I went on Friday afternoon. Ordered wings....OMG, horrible! totally overcooked and dried out, no sauce on them except a few drops, no way, never going back.

Lisa_J Lisa_J
Aug '11

DH and I have been to Blackstones a few times since their opening. He also likes to have bread with his meal..especially with a Italian Dish. We think the sauce needs improvement but other than that..we had a great waitress and good service and being that we live so close ..will definitely go back.

joyful joyful
Aug '11

"Starch fattens asses" ........ Calico

And Beer fattens bellies! LOL ;-)

(I say go for both, you only live once .... and don't forget dessert)

happy girl
Aug '11

Went to Blackstones last night. I had a cheese steak sandwich. It was so so greasy! It tasted ok - but nothing to brag about. The meat tasted boiled. I too was not thrilled nothing came with it, no salad no fries. We ordered a side of fries though. They were good. Again not a terrible meal but nothing that would make me go back again. Sorry! The place was remodeled very nicely though. Was happy to see that they kept the wooden bar.

We have been there 3X. Very clean and fresh to all the senses.
Our food was good all three times. I will agree, it was surprising when I ordered a burger and it came on a plate with no fries or chips...Sup with that?
Otherwise, we enjoyed our visits and will go back.

PSU in Jersey PSU in Jersey
Sep '11

DH and I were there for dinner last night. The service was good (we sat at the bar) and the place looks nice, however we didn't care for the food at all. Not sure who is cooking in that kitchen, but they might want to take a couple basic classes.

We conveyed our thoughts on the food to our server who seemed thankful for our input.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '11

Calico696: I know what you are saying and the food definitely needs improvement. It is important that the people that go there to dine tell the waitress if all is not as expected. (By the way, the waitress we had the last few times is really great!) All new businesses need to "iron out the kinks". Hopefully too, they read the Forum.

joyful joyful
Sep '11

The service was also very good when I went recently. Food was very disappointing. Everything was overcooked, I ordered the ginger chicken salad which was just perplexing to me. It was greens, black olives, pepperchinies (not sure if that is spelled right but the kind of peppers you get on a sub) and hard boiled eggs with sesame seeds sprinkled on it. The ginger dressing was tasty but the flavors combos were all wrong. I also got calamari which was over cooked and rubbery. My dinner partner ordered chicken Parm (also over cooked). All feedback was given to server and a family member/kitchen worker of the owner. Pete - please we need you to whip that place into shape quick. The atmosphere is nice and family friendly and I would like to just go back and hang at that bar sometime.

Firefly Firefly
Sep '11

I wasn't going to go into detail, as I figured I would get scolded for bashing. But since FF did.... I also ordered the chicken parm. It was not pounded out and still had the tenderloin attached making it two inches thick, which lends to more cooking time being required. It was so overdone it was sad. No bread, no salad, no side vegetable or pasta $12.95 and not worth it.

DH had a steak. It was only grilled on one side then most likely finished in the oven...odd. It also came already sliced. Therefore, it hadn't rested properly making it very well done on the ends and rare in the middle. He ordered medium. It came with a mound of sliced carrots which weren't even peeled. Plus they were the type of carrots you use for soup stock rather than a side. No bread, no salad $16.95 and not worth it. DH also had the chicken Florentine soup. It was extremely bland, he added a ton of salt and pepper and came with no crackers or bread. He was not a happy camper.

Unless we hear of a drastic improvement, like an entirely new kitchen staff, won't be back. It's not worth the 20 minute ride. The chef and owner should be embarrassed to serve what they did.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '11

I like the new Mexican place and have just "discovered" Mama's patio and eating lunch out..... Get's the morning / early pm sun I think. And, of course, Pan Dan's new patio for those warmer nights.

Gonna need some great inputs to change horses mid stream.

Thanks FF and Calico.

Sep '11

Looking for Blackstones Restaurant website and googled Pietros Restaurant as well. There is a website for Pietro's Villa at 57 Rte 46 and most of the reviews on it were for Pietro's by Blockbusters but at the very end was one I believe was for Blackstones..(a map as well to get there and it showed where Blackstones is)..Anyway, I think we can write a review on that site which I plan to do. We want to see them succeed and they will not if the menu stays the way it is.

joyful joyful
Sep '11

WOW..will be waiting for the better reviews before even attempting to go there. I'm usually not one to go by negative reviews of the place but a lot of their cooking issues seem to be completely unacceptable when paying $13-$20 for an entree. Glad to hear that those that were unhappy told the waitress, there should be no excuse for not improving the food.

Bessie Bessie
Sep '11

"It was not pounded out and still had the tenderloin attached making it two inches thick,"

That's exactly how the chicken piccatta is at Pietro's. Extremely lazy cooking if you ask me.

emaxxman emaxxman
Sep '11

"We want to see them succeed and they will not if the menu stays the way it is."

Absolutely Joyful. Don't need another empty restaurant. I'm hoping they take the comments seriously.

"Extremely lazy cooking if you ask me."

So is serving unpeeled "horse" carrots emaxx. LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '11

I have not yet been to Blackstones but based on my experiences at Pietro's I will not be going there. We tried Pietro's again after they remolded the place years ago and the food was still the same. They do not put any pride in the way they serve their food. Like others have said "extremely lazy cooking". A lot of people like it because the portions are so huge and they have plenty left over to take home.

kb2755 kb2755
Oct '11

Has anyone been back to Blackstones lately? And if so, have things changed? We are so close and really would like to patronize the restaurant but they really need to take notice of what people are saying is wrong...The last time we were there the really only good thing was our waitress and she was great...as far as the food and the menu and the drinks and the prices for what you get...sorry..

joyful joyful
Oct '11

In a week it will be 2 months that it's been open. They should have worked out all the kinks by now. If they haven't then the obviously don't care about being a success. I have not been back and will not unless I hear some encouraging remarks.

Firefly Firefly
Oct '11

Our service was good and the food for the price was on target.
Nice place to get some wings or a burger and watch the game. The fish and chips I had were very good.

The best way to determine if you will be happy with the selections, quality, value, etc is to go and try it yourself.

Don't let others make up your mind for you.

Oct '11

I used to go to Pietro's all the time to buy their house dressing. It was like a thousand island 'type'. Anybody know if that is still part of their menu??

Hastings Resident Hastings Resident
Nov '11

was just there the other night, it's still there and still good.

great in the meadows great in the meadows
Nov '11

It is Blackstones Grill & Bar. I think Pietro's may be going in the place on the left. Further up the hill. I know it is going to be a restaurant but not sure who.

Lynda Lynda
Nov '11

The people that own Pietro's own Blackstones. I heard they didn't want Blackstones to be like Pietro's. I don't know why as Pietro's food is better than Blackstones. Blackstones also has a limited menu.

Marilyn Marilyn
Nov '11

I ordered a Cobb salad and the bacon was RAW! That's not good and their cooks insisted it was cooked properly. My romaine lettuce was the outer, dark leaves cut in large, inedible pieces. My monkey can cook better. Thank God the waitress was nice because the salad was horrible. Their wings were decent though.

Steve Siro Steve Siro
Nov '11

Just there the other night, with the family. we had a fantastic meal, we ordered the turkey dinner speical for the price so cheap for the ammount of food your given. this turkey dinner had everything, try it out people

give blackstones a chance, they are a nice place trying to make it.

fyerfly you seem to just ripping the place apart, i have never seen you there

Newontheblock Newontheblock
Nov '11

I agree with Firefly. My husband and I have tried Blackstones...not once but three or four times and each time were disappointed...not in the service...but in the food itself. We eat out a lot and this restaurant is very close so also would like to hear more positive comments before giving it another try.

joyful joyful
Nov '11

I doubt Firefly is trying to rip the place apart. She recently came up with the idea of a Happy Hour there, so I'm thinking that she was giving them another chance, and urging others to do the same, or even try it for the first time.

I am curious though...As most people don't display their photo on here, nor do most display their H'town Life Forum 'moniker' anywhere on them when in public, how do you know you weren't sitting right next to Firefly?

Nov '11

* Would just like to add that each time we did mention to the waitress the reasons we were disappointed and each time we returned nothing was changed.

joyful joyful
Nov '11

I was thinking the same thing Lori. Then I figured, maybe she knows Firefly off Forum.

BTW - Once was enough for my husband and I to eat there. Unless somewhere down the road the reviews start being raves, we won't waste our time. Too many other places to eat.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '11

if you want the best wings ever...you have to go to Mattars! I'm salivating thinking about them.. Just insanely delicious, JMO though. :)

Lisa50
Nov '11

Calico,

No cravings for horse carrots lately? LOL

Nov '11

Our family has been to Blackstones a few times. Each time it's a little better than the last.

Keep in mind. When folks are happy with their experience, they are far less likely to write about it. In order to write a good review, many have to be "blown away happy".
HOWEVER, when folks are less than happy with their experience, they are far more likely to write about it and OFTEN, they will exaggerate to make the point.

Suggestion: Go to Blackstones with an open mind. If you read something negative, know it was likely exaggerated. They are a local business working in tough economy to make it. I hope they do. It's WAY better than the previous business in that location and it's nice to have more local choices. PS: the bar pie was great!

Nov '11

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/bfs/2747678274.html

Pietros is for sale. It sounds as if Blackstones will be the primary focus.

I do not kow newontheblock ( as far as i know). I also, have no reason whatsoever to tear down Blackstones. I started the thread and have been a loyal customer to Pietro's for years and in fact they catered my wedding.
I feel no need to exagerate about my experience at Blackstone's. I do not think I used "over the top" adjectives and if fact I help back a bit.

My point is that if a place has been given as much feedback BAD and GOOD that Blackstones has then they should have imporoved. It sounds like they have and if I recall when we went for the Happy Hour that I arranged we were all rather pleased with what we got. They have a Chardonay there that I cannot find anywhere else and I love it.

Firefly Firefly
Dec '11

We had pizza, one veggie, one sausage from Blackstones takeout last night-VERY disappointing. There were about 8 small pieces of sausage on the large pie, and the sauce had very little taste. The veggie pie was soggy with very little sauce and lacking any flavoring. We so wanted to find a new place for pizza. BTW-those 2 pies cost $35! I don't think we'll even try Blackstones for dinner if they can't even get the pizza right.

Tigermom
Dec '11

In this economy with so many other choices available.......my family will not be giving this place another chance. Once was enough and if people didnt feel the same way, they wouldnt come down so harsh/bluntly on this forum. Seems that Blackstone's should be trying to addressing these comments rather than continuing their poor quality. Need to make an effort to gain patron loyalty here........or anywhere.

curly
Dec '11

OK... so from all the feedback..so far..it's obvious that B stones..is a loser..

So what next?

A waffle and Pancake House???

A Hot Dog Hut???? ... with a drive through ...and foot long dogs..

A Pierogi & Kielbasi bar.... Sports Bar setting...???

embryodad embryodad
Dec '11

Great beer selection, nice staff, horrible food.

Bear Eater Bear Eater
Dec '11

BRING BACK SMOKEHOUSE DAMMIT!!!!!!!!! Same location or new, I don't care!!!

Dec '11

embryodad I think we would all be happy if they just worked on the consistency a bit. It is imperative for people to know what to expect when they go there. No one wants a hit or miss when it is dinner. Many people have given feedback to the staff and still the issues remain. Staff is good....Bar is good...Atmosphere is fine....Food needs work.

The Smokehouse is just up on 206 a bit - really not that far. I did like the Smokehouse too for the most part.

Firefly Firefly
Dec '11

100% correct FF. Consistency is a must in the restaurant business. The most consistent restaurants I have found in Warren County so far are Mattar's, Dalton's Columbia Inn and The Brass Rail.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '11

I always forget about Dalton's. Went out for dinner with friends this weekend and that would have been nice and close! Thanks for the reminder, Calico

Dec '11

Re: Blackstones Restaurant @ the old Smokehouse

We just had dinner at BlackStones with a friend of ours. Great staff, comfortable ambience and the appetizer pierogies were excellent. The dinner special Ossobuco was very tender meat, although there was so much sauce loaded in the plate that the rice and vegetables were drowning in it and became a pile of mush (the veggies should have been served on a separate dish). Feedback was given to the server. The burger and cheesesteak were okay and since they did not come with anything, we ordered french fries. The fries were quite possibly the worst fries I've ever eaten. The pieces were thin shoestrings, but no longer than an inch or so. Felt like we were eating the bottom of the bag crumbs. Either the kitchen cook (Pietro's son) should have seen this and opened a new bag of fries, or if this is the way they serve them, they need to change it. Given the overall price of everything, you can get much better food for your money elsewhere - we won't be going back anytime soon. Sorry to give a bad review to a local business.

Needed to get out last night for a bit and close to home so hit up Blackstones ( again) The bartender and staff is great. Atmosphere nice. Ordered Nachos to nosh - they were awful....canned chili sauce, average chips, no cheese. Once again a huge disappointment. It's a simple item to prepare and if you are not going to do it outstanding then don't include on menu. Looking around - much of the food looked really good - but it's such a hit or miss.

Firefly Firefly
Feb '12

Firefly went to BlackStones Saturday and it was pretty late around ten. i was chilling at the bar watching tv. Great Staff,i also talked to peter i guess the owner. i was hungry and he made me the best burger ive ever had. Mac and Cheese Burger. Mac and cheese breaded and fried and put on burger with cheese. the BEST, GO TO BLACKSTONES AND TRY THAT BURGER OH BOY!

Fireguy Fireguy
Feb '12

I was at Blackstone's at 8:30 Fireguy and home by 10 that night. Maybe it was someone else? It's still a hit or miss though with the menu items - wouldn't you say?

Firefly Firefly
Feb '12

where is daltons? have never heard of it.

wc gal wc gal
Feb '12

Dalton's Columbia Inn

http://www.daltonscolumbiainn.com/

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '12

Yeah I must say anyone that recommends this place must not ever get out! Have gone no less than five times. Very nice people and a good selection of beer but the food is horrible.

Notafan Notafan
Feb '12

So whatver convinced you on the 3rd, 4th, and especially 5th trips?

Feb '12

notafan.......which place is horrible daltons or blackstones?

wc gal wc gal
Feb '12

For me Mr Google...My hopes are that someone that knows Pete will print this thread out and give it to him. His son may not be up to the task and need some coaching. Sure would hate to see this place fail but it will as more and more of us that have gone back again and again will give up entirely. In fact, it seems that many have already. Despite the feedback that I have given my server and my bartender things have not improved. To me that means - either those people were afraid to approach the one in charge or the one charge isn't listening.
Also, Blackstones is close to home - has a great atmosphere and nice -local people working there.
I keep hoping that I can figure out what to eat there ...it won't be a burger as I don't really eat red meat anymore.

Firefly Firefly
Feb '12

wc gal - Blackstones is horrible. Somebody has asked about Dalton's because I mentioned back in my December post above about it being good.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '12

Haven't eaten there yet. Stopped by twice for drinks and thought the place was nice, but I have 1 constructive piece of advice for the owners:

Showing movies or shows on the Bar TV kills any type of mood or atmosphere and underscores the fact that there are no patrons in there. Nobody wants to sit and watch a movie with the waiters and bartenders. Turn off the sound and play some music! The TV in a decent bar/restaurant should not even be on unless it's news or sports channels, and even then with the sound off!

You're running a bar now - people need to want to go there, hang out, talk, drink and eat!

Trust me on this one...

Norm Petersen
Feb '12

If the cook is the owners son,that would explain alot-hard to fire family,like jp kellys but you never know when they are open,bad business practice(should only be closed on wed,slowest day of week and most people stay home)

understood understood
Feb '12

Blackstones is awesome - Great food, great people, great beer selection !! i think some of you folks could find fault with winning a million dollars (gee why couldn't it be 2 million) The staff there, The cooks, management,waiters, waitresses and bartenders have done a wonderful job with the place. I would recommend trying various items ---- Specials are always fresh ---- pizza the best in H-town ---- the different wontons ----- and of course the Blackstone corkscrew pasta. Anyway be adventurous and you will see that the place is really quite good if not great !!!

Didnt' make it there tonight as mentioned on the other thread, rain kept me home but in light of all the wonderful reviews lately, I can only hope that someone listened and it's improved greatly. Will try to make it there soon, but will keep checking for more good reviews. Anyone else try their pizza? Didn't realize they made pizza too and am always looking for new pizza to try. Can you order it for take-out?

Bessie Bessie
Feb '12

The last time we went. when it was still the Smokehouse, we had to walk through sewage on the way in. Has the septic been fixed? Maybe it has, but I don't remember seeing it being worked on.

Feb '12

Reggie Voter, The septic has been fixed since day one. why the hell would anyone "walk thru" sewage on the way into a restaurant? Perhaps, if you stopped into Blackstones to check it out, you would know. Maybe, to busy making the gramer corrections on the other Blackstones thread.

vicnity vicnity
Feb '12

Did you mean "too" busy?

Feb '12

you missed, "grammar"

vicnity vicnity
Feb '12

I went to Blackstones last night for a couple of beers with a few friends. I tried their pizza for the first time. Wow was it good! Crust was thin and crisp and just enough cheese without being too gooey. Service was wonderful! The owners were so friendly,they made us feel like family.I will for sure be going back!!! BTW the house dressing is amazing! Yummy.

suzique suzique
Mar '12

Sounds like this place needs a visit from the TV show "Restaurant Impossible"...I bet they could help turn Blackstones around!

curly curly
Mar '12

Nah, they are doing a great job!

suzique suzique
Mar '12

Or Kitchen Nightmares!!!

Jules Jules
Mar '12

LOL Jules.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '12

if you like good food, reasonably priced drinks, a nice atmosphere and friendly staff, black stones is the place to go. it certainly beats marley's.

glennv glennv
Mar '12

Just went last night. Good, friendly crowd, and the food was pretty good. There were some nice drink specials listed on the board as well. We had a good experience.

Bazinga Bazinga
Mar '12

Horrible bar atmosphere! Bartender to busy eating her dinner to wait on us. Had 1 drink and left!

One word to describe this whole thread and Blackstones.

Inconsistent ( never good for an eatery)

Firefly Firefly
Apr '12

Ate at Blackstones last night- was FANTASTIC! Place was crowded but we didn't have to wait too long for a table. We started with a cold antipasto which was more than enough for three people. We then split a Chicken Saltimboca and lasagna which were both outstanding! The staff was friendly and very accommodating. Our waiter Justin was attentive and entertaining! We left more than satisfied and plan to return soon : )

missyb13 missyb13
May '12

Is Pete cooking now? How would you compare from a month ago to now? I will be giving this place one more chance.

Firefly Firefly
May '12

I went one more time like I said I would. :-)
It was a spur of the moment thing and I had an Asian Salad. It was very good.

Firefly Firefly
May '12

Went to Blackstones today for lunch. Great new menu items. Burgers being served with french fries and pickles, chicken & veal dishes served with pasta. DH and I shared a small Stromboli with sausage, peppers, onions, ham, cheese, it was great. Nice thin and crispy crust. Pietro was cooking. Everyone should try it again.

Jonelle
May '12

We had lunch there today too. Burger's were very good. One girl working the bar and tables. Service was fine.

NyrGuy NyrGuy
May '12

Is Pete really cooking there now?

May '12

Yes Pete is cooking.

Firefly Firefly
May '12

There was a nice article in Warren Cty of the Express Times. Went thursday night with a friend.Portion of ribs and mashed potatoes were huge, service great. glad we went will be a regular for sure.

Jo Anne Jo Anne
May '12

Glad to hear these reports. We will plan to get over there in the next few days too.

Joyful Joyful
May '12

Been to Blackstone 4 time Its the best Order a hot antipasta or Shrimp Fra diavlo

but the best by far is" Ci Ci " the cute waitress

Joe the older guy Joe the older guy
May '12

Finally made it Blackstones last week for a Sunday lunch . The service was much too slow considering there was about 7 people there but the food was very good. My meal was superb actually.
Decided to go there last night and this time service was quick. One meal was delicious but I ordered the same thing as last time and it was just average. Not sure why the quality was so different but it was.
But then after a fun night a small group decided to get a few drinks and Blackstones was our destination. At about 10:30pm we walked in and the whole resaurant crew stopped dead in their tracks and stared at us. I asked if they were open. We got a mumbled reply that yes , kind of , no food etc
I said You are all looking at us like What the hell are you people doing here. Are you open or not.
Still no real answer. The website said open to midnight. It was 10:30.
our group felt completely unwelcome This staff wanted to close early and chose to turn away customers. I don't know if this was the owner or who was working there but I will never go to Blackstones again.

In case it wasn't obvious , we went elsewhere for a few drinks and a fun time

10:30 on a Saturday night? Wow. When we went there it just seemed like a half-assed try at contemporary dining. Burger was good, service was slow. Might be one of those places it's best to get a "to-go" order at.

theHHSinformant theHHSinformant
Jul '13

And to add on to that story, when we got back in the car, I called and asked them what time they were open to. The lady responed like she was surprised by the question. "What time are we open to? We are cleaning up now." I said "do you usually close at 11pm?" She said "Well, if it's slow we close early." I guess if they keep turning customers away, it's gonna be slow! I have no desire to go back again either after being treated that way.

just so the story is clear. we went to dinner at 6 and returned later at 10:30 for drinks

The attitude CBGB describes has become the norm in todays society. Many a server or bartender wont even say hello when they approach you. I would put that establishment on my no go list. And when did people stop having personalities ? A lot of zombie like peeps out there. Maybe they are all doped up on anti-depressants.

jerseycash5
Jul '13

I fear they just can't wait to check their Facebook accounts and see what their hundreds of friends are doing....

hktownie hktownie
Jul '13

Wow- especially for a bar to close at 10:30 on a Saturday night.

blackcat blackcat
Jul '13

I liked the smokehouse,great bar with good bbq and pizza,it was perfect for the area and was always busy.Blackstones not so much.Try to like it but always disappointed.This is warren county not the hamptons.

Sizzle
Jul '13

sizzle, not sure what you mean ?warren county not the hamptons"? I have been there a coupke of times & the prices are very reasonable.

vicnity vicnity
Jul '13

pulled pork vs penne with a pink vodka sauce,not about price as much as the menu.Lost 50% of the customers when it became Blackstones .When Jenny jump is fully operational it is going to put a hurting on them for sure.

Sizzle
Jul '13

Penne vodka is considered haute cuisine? I'm pretty sure Mama's has had it on their menu for at least a decade...

ianimal ianimal
Jul '13

ok,let me put it this way to make it simple.I know of at least 30-40 people in the area who used to stop there 2-3 times a week who will not stop anymore,Everybody has their own opinion, must be a reason why.

Sizzle
Jul '13

If there were 30-40 people stopping there 2-3 times per week, Smokehouse would still be open...

ianimal ianimal
Jul '13

yea ok,the FIRE had nothing to do with it.lol,you must work there now.

Sizzle
Jul '13

Yup... you got me.

ianimal ianimal
Jul '13

LOL.......

Christine Christine
Jul '13

I am sorry to say that it will be a while if ever when we will be returning to Blackstones as well. We live so close and really tried to give them a chance...even to the point when we went back again and again after poor food and service...we spoke to the the waitress and even the cook and mentioned that we hoped things would be better this time. After about 4 times of poor food preparation and very poor service and the last time actually going into the kitchen for sauce and napkins when the waitress never returned to our table to see if we had everything we needed..........hubby said..."That's it!" and I know him well enough to know this is going to be the case.

joyful joyful
Jul '13

Why are people so surprised with the poor food preperation, these are the same people that ran Pietro's. Couldn't understand how that place stayed in business so long.

kb2755 kb2755
Jul '13

I think some of the staff is away. Usually I have great service and the food is excellent as always

Jimmyman Jimmyman
Jul '13

Do they still have the horse carrots? I gots me a horse dat dare needs feeding and it ain't be liking no highfalutin pinky colored sauce!

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '13

I usually go there Fridays after work and never a problem. The bourbon burger is so good and the mozzarella sticks are actually home made yumm. Nothing fancy basic food.

Jimmyman- you are correct vacations and honemoons lol it will be back to normal this friday.

Shoebie Shoebie
Jul '13

OMG the horse carrots! LOL! I forgot about that.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '13

I know, the horse carrots made me laugh too! Completely forgot about them.

Bessie Bessie
Jul '13

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.