Herbies Ice Cream Stand Great Meadows NJ

Herbies Ice Cream Stand has re-opened...and my wife brought home 2 bags of their Ice Cream sandwiches...they are great...this happens just in time for me to look good for summer...i will probably look more like Larry The Cable Guy...after the great ice cream from Herbies...you have been warned...nice people... nice ice cream...a good place to go for a ride and enjoy ice cream and Sundaes

oldman oldman Message oldman
Apr '11

Herbies is such a great place. sometimes i stop in there with the tractor and get a root beer float before i go rake hay.

jd4020 jd4020 Message jd4020
Apr '11

We love Herbies! It's right up the road from us, perfect for after DS's baseball games!

Birdie Birdie Message Birdie
Apr '11

When my kids were in school and playing baseball for Independence, that was a team stop after the games, win or lose, everyone went to Herbie's. I think it's under different ownwership now, but "Herbie's" still brings back a lot of great memories for me.

Tanya Tanya Message Tanya
Apr '11

do they still make the Red Bull shakes?

nonny nonny Message nonny
Apr '11

I haven't been to Herbie's in a long time, but if they have Red Bull shakes DS will definitely want to stop. He gets them at PJ's Drive In in Knowlton and LOVES them!

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73 Message Lori...since '73
Apr '11

Is that what it sounds like, made with the energy drink?

Tracy Tracy Message Tracy
Apr '11

I went to Herbie's for the first time late last summer and I was hooked! I don't know what took me so long to try it. I'm so happy to hear that it is open for the season. Yay!

Aquarius Aquarius Message Aquarius
Apr '11

Thanks Oldman for the reminder. Last year we were taking the kids to Grochowicz Farms in Glenn Gardner for their homemade ice cream.

http://grochowiczfarms.com/cn/

Never been to Herbies even though I drive past it on an almost daily basis! We'll take the kids there this weekend.

Vic

Vic Vic Message Vic
Apr '11

No, a Red Bull was a birch beer flavor shake. They made them long before the energy drink. Maybe they have to rename them now, didnt think of that. They were really good, and something Herbies had that was unique and very popular, back in the day.

nonny nonny Message nonny
Apr '11

Still the best ice cream stand I was ever at; and I am 54. Take your sundae out to a bench next to the Paulinskill River.

BobR. BobR. Message BobR.
Apr '11

Yes, they still make the Red Bull Shake. I picked my sister one up last week. Good stuff there! Yum!

Suz Suz Message Suz
Apr '11

Re: Herbies Ice Cream Stand Great Meadows NJ

with the heat this week...we made a run to Herbies tonight for their Ice Cream sandwiches

Jun '11

I love Herbies, but next time you are near by, try what used to be the DQ but is private now up on Rt94 across from the John Deere and entrance to Yards Creek. Their soft serve is richer and creamier ----- or so I keep telling myself.

They have a drive through this year.

mistergoogle mistergoogle Message mistergoogle
Jun '11

Mmmmm....went there last Tuesday night and had the Peanut Butter Vanilla Sundae. Excellent!
Also, when we're in the area the Dover Dairy Maid is also a must stop in Dover NJ. Yummy Peanut Butter milk shakes!!! Wife loves the coconut soft ice cream.

I should also note that neither place accepts plastic (credit/debit cards).

Vic

Vic Vic Message Vic
Jul '11

Thanks for the hint about the Red Bull Shakes... what a treat!

Mom of 1&1 Mom of 1&1 Message Mom of 1&1
Jul '11

http://herbiesdrivein.com/Pages/icecream.htm

The Smurf Sundae sounds like something I'd go for!

INeedMoreCowBell INeedMoreCowBell Message INeedMoreCowBell
Jul '11

Took the kids to Mackey's Orchard in Belvidere for ice cream Sunday night around 8PM and it was a mob scene! Daughter wasn't impressed with the peach milk shake and my brownie sundae with the hard brownie's killed it for me.

Hate dealing with crowds, back to Herbie's next time.

local
Jul '11

with this heat...another ride to Herbies was required...mission accomplished

Jul '11

Carvel Ice Cream Sandwiches this week at Shoprite on sale......
.....Package of 6 for $4.00..........
YUM!!

happy girl
Jul '11

Herbie's is normally open for the season by now.....it had been for sale....what will summer be like w/o Herbie's ice cream? Anyone know the "scoop?"

OnlyChild OnlyChild Message OnlyChild
Apr '12

I used to deliver newspapers to doc Boyds and the houses at the foot of the mountain. Then i would stop at the Dairybar where the lanes came back together and spend all my profits.

Don W. Don W. Message Don W.
Apr '12

Yes, DW, in hackettstown years ago, the Dairybar was the place to go....had my first banana split there. Herbie's is the local ice cream and hot dog stand in the Great Meadows area...plus the stop for the kids sports teams after they win a game. My husband and I have been frequenting the place for over 40yrs....started while we were dating, when we got engaged, the owner, Herbie, wouldn't allow us to pay for our order...it was his treat to us to congratulate us on our engagement. Then after we first got married, living nearby, trips to Herbies bailed me out of many a bad meal as I was learning to cook.

Apr '12

Herbies is opening a little late this season on Monday, 4/16, everyone come for ice cream and food!! the doors will open at 11am! Hope to see you all there!

Elp Elp Message Elp
Apr '12

Glad to hear Herbies will be open...Ice cream sandwiches...cant wait to stop in...its a family tradition...

Apr '12

I clean out my SUV and pile in the toy poodles. I take them all for baby vanilla cones. I think that they're 85 cents so it's a good deal and it makes them so happy. I'll say "cmon guys...lets go to Herbies for a vanilla swirl" and they all run to the gate. So funny. Thanks for telling me about this because I haven't seen an opening soon sign. I love the soft raspberry swirl dipped in chocolate sprinkles myself!

just the facts maam just the facts maam Message just the facts maam
Apr '12

Will it be run by the same people? Does anyone know if it is still on the market?

Walker Walker Message Walker
Apr '12

Same people still own it. Don't know if it is on the market

Was out with the family and driving by around 8:30 tonight. My daughter exclaimed "Ohh yeeeeah Herbie's is open!!"

We pulled in. lol

We got our Herbie's fix....

Me:
Peanut Butter Cup Sundae - Your choice ice cream, choc syrup, peanut butter, peanut butter cups

Wife:
Banana Split Sundae - Your choice ice cream, cherry, chocolate and pineapple topping, bananas

Daughter:
Micky Mouse Sundae - Soft ice cream, chopped M&M's and hot fudge

Yum Yum
:-)

vic vic Message vic
Apr '12

Herbie's is closing for the season on Friday....I guess summer really is coming to a close.

Mom of 1&1 Mom of 1&1 Message Mom of 1&1
Aug '12

Mom of !&1: Thank you for the heads-up. I will go one more time...for a coffee cone.

cbel cbel Message cbel
Aug '12

Love that place but cant go there because none of their treats or weight watchers friendly lol

Passingtime@work Passingtime@work Message Passingtime@work
Aug '12

As someone who has been extremely successful on WW, part of their logic is that NOTHING is not WW friendly. Plan accordingly and enjoy!

Lori...Since '73 Lori...Since '73 Message Lori...Since '73
Aug '12

Anyone know when Herbies is going to open? their number is disconnected. And their website is non-existant

PV Resident
Apr '13

I know the business was up for sale ..uggh! Say it's not so!

Becca Becca Message Becca
Apr '13

Hubby spoke to the owner a few weeks ago and he said they planned to re-open soon.

joyful joyful Message joyful
Apr '13

Personally, I've been disappointed and saddened by them these past few years. They don't post on the sign out front when they're opening. For the 3rd year now, we've driven by on one of the 1st warm days after practice or scrimmage @ field of dreams when we're in-the-mood for our neighborhood ice cream & they're still not open!!!! My kids have had Herbie's for years from homemade birthday ice cream cakes & when the Indy Fire Volunteer Fire Dept came to Central School for kindergarteners and Herbie's generously provided free cups of ice cream. We end up going elsewhere and, quite frankly, give up on Herbie's & keep going "elsewhere" not to be disappointed again bec the "elsewheres" are consistent & have longer hours.

not 4 nuttin' not 4 nuttin' Message not 4 nuttin'
Apr '13

Herbies has posted a sign along Rt 46. They will be opening Friday April, 26.

HtownForum HtownForum Message HtownForum
Apr '13

Opened today - 4/26 !

Volunteer 13
Apr '13

Went there today- it was great Ice cream and a a beautiful place to sit
in the back!:)

Yoga girl Yoga girl Message Yoga girl
Apr '13

Went today, the word is out..they were busy.

Apr '13

Herbies is great but the teenage girls that work there need to lose the attitude and stop acting we are bothering them

Kevin a Kevin a Message Kevin a
May '13

I agree. When I was told that they didn't accept credit cards, a girl was very rude to me about it like I should have known. Disappointing

I've never had that experience there. I like the simple, small town atmosphere.

music girl music girl Message music girl
May '13

I miss sat morning hobo sandwiches (pork roll, egg and cheese with home fries on top) for those not from the meadows

BabaBooey
May '13

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Your Web Site (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.