Missing Black and White Cat in PV

My neighbor's female cat has been missing since Monday evening from the Mountainside section of Panther Valley. She was let out to escape the strong smell of paint fumes and has not returned home. She is 6 years old, black and white and very overweight (Obese). She is also extremely timid (she was a feral kitten). Her face is very open marked (a lot of white on her head) hence the name "Ziggy". Ziggy is normally a house cat but she is very sensitive to strong smells. She only ventures out once in awhile but has never stayed out for this long. If you have seen her, please call my neighbor Joan at 908-658-0913 anytime day or night. Joan has called Animal Control, Tranquility Vet and the Pet Adoption League but no one has any information on Ziggy.

Jackie Jackie
Apr '11

Will keep an eye out! Hope she comes back soon!

Hackettstown Wife Hackettstown Wife
Apr '11

Hope you find Ziggy soon. Good luck and keep us posted.

sunflower 2 sunflower 2
Apr '11

UPDATE: STILL no sign of Ziggy and today it is a week. Joan has walked the neighborhood, calling her name, hoping she might appear, but nothing. Not knowing what happened to her is an awful feeling.

Jackie Jackie
Apr '11

I'm so sorry to hear this. Don't give up. Cats have been known to turn up weeks later, though I hope it doesn't take that long! Keeping Ziggy & family in my thoughts :)

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Apr '11

I had a cat like that once. He disappeared for six weeks one time. We found him hiding in the drainage ditch in front of the house next door. Don't give up!

Growing up things were different (pre-FIV/FLV) for outside cats and my mom insisted our pet allowed out whenever possible. We had "barn cats" where we lived prior to that, and my mom only consented to the new one with the thought it would also be a "barn cat" even though the "barn" was a garage that didn't work out. When you have 20 below temps and 300 inches of snow, the cat is gonna have to come in. So in any case, the personality of our cat was very much the independent kind. He loved being with us, but he also had his own life, and ran across the street here and there to play in the leaves in fall. And he would sleep outside overnight when he wanted to in the summer, even if usually in our yard. But there were a couple of times where he would go off for a few days, sometimes we would see him elsewhere in the neighborhood, able to take care of himself as an excellent mouser. Not to mention he caught some birds too, one of which I personally witnessed him nail by being on a grape trellis next door and grabbing the bird while it was still in the air.

The poor guy had to deal with us being away two summers in a row while neighbors put out his food. It's not surprising he liked to wander but I can recall one particular time where he was gone for well over a month. Someone told us they thought he had been seen in a neighborhood about 1/2 mile away, on the other side of the main street in town. Even if he got some of his own food, we're pretty sure he also got fed by someone else during that time. But one day he was innocently in the back of our yard stalking a mouse, perhaps even an imaginary one, he looked up and all of a sudden realized this was the place he left a month earlier. Well he forgot the whole mouse thing and came running over to the front door and virtually did the happy dance on the spot. Went inside the house and hardly came out for several months, and didn't stray again.

There are so many outdoor cats in PV - it is a huge problem - why didn't this person simply put the cat in a separate room or crate? I don't understand this reasoning at all.

muddywaters
Apr '11

There are too many cats outside all over. I have 4 now that are coming for food every day. Somehow, someway they need stricter laws. I don't know why people think a cat has to go outside to be happy. I agree the cat should have been crated and put in another room or set outside for awhile.
I hope they find their cat and keep it inside.

4paws 4paws
Apr '11

I hope they find it too - sadly if it has become used to the house, it might not know how to defend itself anymore. PV as said before, has a huge problem with cats being left behind when people move, etc. etc. I have friends there who feed several cats a day - are they all feral - do they possibly belong to someone? Sadly Ziggy might just be another stray cat there. Shame on the owners for being so thoughtless. Have they never heard of "crating" and opening a window I wonder. Sorry if this sounds mean, but the entry was just so sad to read.

muddywaters
Apr '11

These people came to this forum looking for help, not wagging fingers. I'm sure they feel bad enough as it is and don't need the commentary on what they should have done.

Good luck with Ziggy!

notreally notreally
Apr '11

I've seen a cat wandering around Whippoorwill drive/road/whatever it is. I'm not exactly sure what color it is, but it had long hair, so i don't know if it was overweight, or if the long hair made it look overweight, and just kind of walked around the area. Maybe try looking there?

Stargazer Stargazer
Apr '11

THANK YOU - "notreally"......I just ignore the folks who don't know all the facts but think they know EVERYTHING. As I orginally posted, this cat is an indoor cat but does occasionally go outside for a few hours. She has never stayed away this long. "Have they never heard of "crating???" these kind of comments are unnecessary muddywaters. You are incorrectly ASSuming that ALL dogs and cats can be crated.

We are still keeping our hopes up that Ziggy will find her way home. We are following up on all the leads and personal emails that we receive.

Jackie Jackie
Apr '11

Jackie,

I tried to call the number listed but it was out of service. I saw Ziggy yesterday (Wed) on Mckinley about 6:30 PM. I was walking down towards Ranier from Mallard and saw her in the woods on the left just before you get to Ranier. I did not know she was lost until I saw this post today. It was def her, big, black and white. She was resting. I'll keep a look out.

bird
Apr '11

CORRECTION TO CELL PHONE NUMBER LISTED...................908-229-9580 is the correct number.

Jackie Jackie
Apr '11

Thank you Bird....please call Joan 908-229-9580 and let her know, I just left her a message saying that you may have seen Ziggy......fingers and toes crossed that it was her.

Jackie Jackie
Apr '11

Re: Missing Black and White Cat in PV

Do you have a picture of the cat? I saw this cat this morning in PV towards the back gate on Bald Eagle (roughly across the street from the PVPOA, just below the new townhouse construction). I snapped this quick picture with my cell, sorry it's not clearer but I couldn't get any closer. This cat didn't appear to be obese, but the black and white caught my eye.

pvmom
Apr '11

You are right Jackie, I can not get my cat in a crate unless she is sedated first.
I hope you find Ziggy and I know how you feel, my cat was gone 5 months and just showed up one day. I was a wreck not knowing what happened to her. She does not go out anymore accept to the vet.
Good luck, I hope the picture is your kitty.

4paws 4paws
Apr '11

I hope you find ziggy very soon. I see a different cat almost everyday in my backyard and I'm on mallard. Anyone lose a big gray boy? Or a young small gray and white cat? Or a plain black cat perhaps? All of the cats except for the big gray boy run away as soon as they see me. I named the gray one Jack and tried to feed him a few times but he won't take the food. I have A pic if anyone thinks it might be their cat. He's very friendly and must belong to someone around here. I will def keep my eye out for ziggy.

Kissycat Kissycat
Apr '11

Look at the Crest Area, there are lots of stray cats that go there as someone feeds them.

muddywaters
May '11

Re: Missing Black and White Cat in PV

We are also missing a black and white cat since Sun Jun 26th in Panther Valley! Spartrina lives on Oriole Drive near the PVPOA offices and toward the back gate. She is the one picture above by the townhouses - although she was not missing then. Attached is another picture of her. If you see her, please call Steve @ 908 338 1580 or Mia at 201 294 1577. Thank you!! (also - I hope Ziggy was found!)

Steve & Mia Steve & Mia
Jun '11

Sad to report that my neighbor never found Ziggy. We think that after all this time, she has perished somehow, somewhere. Now it seems her littermate ~ Zoey, has taken to bringing his "own" pets into the house. A few days ago he brought in a chipmunk and the chipmunk has made himself at home IN THE HOUSE...

Best of luck in finding Spartrina, hope she comes home or is found.

Jackie Jackie
Jun '11

GREAT NEWS!!! Dave from PVPOA spotted Spartrina this afternoon and she is home, safe and sound! Many Thanks to Dave and all our friends and neighbors looking for her! We will be frequent visitors to this site from now on - it's a great resource! Best regards, Steve & Mia

Steve & Mia Steve & Mia
Jun '11

That is great news about Spartrina! So glad to hear it and thank you for letting us know.

Aquarius Aquarius
Jun '11

Always great to hear a happy ending!! Glad to hear it...I hope she has a special little dinner coming her way. I know I'd be devastated, so very happy for you.

Yes, this site is an endless resource of information, debate, humor and support, isn't it?

INeedMoreCowBell INeedMoreCowBell
Jun '11

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/355973

Found b/w cat...

Thank you jrd, but this not Ziggy. She is still missing and there have been no sitings of her. After all this time we are hoping someone took her in thinking she was stray. We don't want to think of what the other options might be :(

Jackie Jackie
Mar '12

I know it's been a while but this cat has been hanging around Mockingbird in Panther Valley for a few months now, please let me know if this is your cat? http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/447262

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.