Hunter's Lodge

I heard from a reputable source that the Hunter's Lodge restaurant/bar on 46 in Columbia/Knowlon (not sure of the boundaries there) is going to reopen. Apparently, there is work going on in there now.

Anybody have any info on when it might open? Memories of the old place? I was never there, but I hear it was frequented by some real characters and had a mean burger.

Oldman - Photo?

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '11

i think its a slow go. noticed about a year ago that someone was working on the place. i was never inside, but i do remember they used to have deer in the pens that are on the side of the place years ago.......ever notice that massive fireplace in the back by the motel ?

nonny nonny
Apr '11

I heard a rumor that it is going to be the new location of PJ's, the restaurant down the road that used to be Humpty Dumpty's...

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Apr '11

Ok, so now I need some info on PJ's aka Humpty Dumpty's.....LOL Is that a truck stop joint?

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '11

It's a 'greasy spoon' type place. Cheese steaks, burgers, dogs, etc. Also has ice cream, shakes, sundaes...you get the idea :)

It also has a pizza place attached to it, which I just noticed the last time I drove by.

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Apr '11

Hunters Lodge will be reopening in May, or June, Ive heard both... Its going to be a casual dining restaurant with a bar. The menu will have steaks, burgers, italian/american etc.... It will not be the new location of PJs, as PJs is more fast food/ice cream... The owner of PJs has leased the Hunters Lodge restaurant, he was nice enough to let me take a peek inside Hunters Lodge a couple of weeks ago... and let me tell you, it looks great... it has a very comfortable atmosphere. and the "Hunters" theme he is trying to accomplish seems like it will be pretty neat. Also I heard they're going to have a "wild game" type menu.

tikitorch tikitorch
Apr '11

tiki - Thanks so much. That's great news. Especially the BAR part. :)

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '11

Re: Hunter's Lodge

the new owners of the Hunters Lodge...had signs up...selling beer the last time i went by that place...heres the big sign out front...i think they have fixed this up

oldman oldman
Apr '11

and for your viewing pleasure...the deer

oldman oldman
Apr '11

Thanks oldman. :)

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '11

Calico, Columbia is part of Knowlton Township... like Stewartsville is part of Greenwich Township.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '11

Thanks ianimal. I think I knew that once but forgot...LOL What about Delaware? I have seen all three places interchanged.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '11

Delaware is also part of Knowlton Twp, I believe...

ianimal ianimal
Apr '11

Yes, Delaware is part of Knowlton Twp.

I need to get back in the Knowlton Loop. I guess thats what happens when I turn 18 and move outta there.....

Crazy- Crazy-
Apr '11

Love that stretch of highway. Like a freaking time machine!

Bruin Bruin
Apr '11

Bruin - That is so true....LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '11

My husband and I had dinner there about 30 or so years ago. He got the surf and turf, which we laughingly remember was a Mrs. Paul's fish fillet with some very tough meat(maybe one of the deer was missing??) We also stayed overnight...not exactly the Hyatt Regency, but we were young and it didn't matter!

loved the pics oldman! are there anymore where those came from?

tikitorch tikitorch
Apr '11

this is another one i have...

oldman oldman
Apr '11

Gosh, oldman ~ you go on with your bad self and these great photos of yesteryear. I love that you can just conjure them up . . . it's magic! Thank you for sharing and I'm going to have to take a ride on that stretch of highway ~ need to clear out the cobwebs, lol :D

happy2bhere happy2bhere
Apr '11

Bumping this up in search of new info. Obviously, this place is not opening in the May/June time frame as originally stated by tikitorch above. Last time I drove by there (last weekend), still looked a long way off.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '11

Are they going to be opening the Motel part back up?

interesting
Jun '11

they were working on the roof to day when i went by

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Jun '11

Drove by today- it's open! I saw open signs and a few cars outside, thought I would share with you all! Can't wait to try it!

Tikitorch Tikitorch
Jul '11

I will check it out on monday iI go by there Mon Thurs

Jul '11

as far as I can tell the motel part of Hunters Lodge has been open all along...

oldman oldman
Jul '11

Tiki - Thanks for the news. Will check it out soon.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '11

I stopped in this afternoon for a drink- very nice place on the inside... took a look at the menu, had a lot of stuff that looked good, but I didn't get anything to eat. They are currently open wednesday-sunday. I plan to go back this weekend for a meal!

tikitorch tikitorch
Jul '11

My husband and I stopped in after the truck raffle that was held in the Knowlton Township Volunteer Fire Dept field next door. It really looks nice inside..newly renovated. I had steak and garlic mashed potatoes. My husband had ribs. Absolutely delicious. Service was very good too. Will go back, for sure.

localyocal localyocal
Jul '11

How big of a bar do they have there?

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '11

this is going to be good place to eat
before I 80 rt 46 was the main way to the Poconos and the eating places did well all a long 46 there were cabins to stay some are gone now some still there .
I really hope they do good out at hunters lodge

Jul '11

Is King Coles still up there along the Delaware River ? Has it changed any ?

BobR. BobR.
Jul '11

King Coles is closed.

DH and I are taking a ride up after dinner to have a beer and check it out.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '11

So we went to check it out. The lovely Suzy (formerly of Island Park fame, now blonde...LOL) was bartending. The place looks nice. Has a 10-12 seat bar, about 6 beers on tap and plenty of bottles. We didn't eat, but perused the menu. Small menu with all the basics. Beef, chicken, tuna, pasta, burgers and apps. Acceptable prices. Real nice job renovating, but looks like they still need to do some finishing touches.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '11

I ate at Hunters Lodge this past Sunday. I had a bay seasoned shrimp appetizer, and a tuna steak for main course...both were excellent. The tuna was very fresh and was shown on the menu as "sushi quality" and it definitely could have been eaten and enjoyed raw. As it was, I had it cooked to medium rare and it was delicious...Don't remember the price for the shrimp, but the tuna steak ( with choice of potato, veggie and salad ) as $12.99...How can you beat that? The bar as stated by others is small, but they have the main dining area which is just behind the bar, open now and are working on opening a second dining area which is removed from the bar once renovations on it are done. I would recommend Hunters Lodge to anyone traveling in the area, or even to make a special trip for. BTW service was pleasant and attentive as well.

mr2cool mr2cool
Jul '11

Glad to hear you enjoyed it mr2cool. A man at the bar was eating the tuna when I was there last week. Looked really good. DH and I plan on having dinner there Saturday night.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '11

They're going to have music too! Got this info. from JoeHirsh Productions "The New Hunter's Lodge in Knowlton (next to former Knowlton Riverfest site) on Rt. 46 is hosting music every Friday night, 9-12, starting Aug. 5 with Mike Esposito, Aug. 12 with the Too Stupid To Quit Trio, and Aug. 19 with Double Chuck."

Livin' the Life Livin' the Life
Jul '11

Keep the info. coming on The New Hunter's Lodge. Always looking for new places to eat (and have a drink). Not too much out that way. Sounds interesting.

Jonelle
Jul '11

We ate at Hunter's Lodge last night. It was very enjoyable. I had the tuna and DH had the pork chop. Both were good and reasonably priced. $12.99 for the 6 oz. tuna and $16.99 for the pork chop. The meals come with choice of soup or salad, choice of potato or rice and vegetable of the day.

Coincidentally, we sat next to an HL lurker at the bar and one of the waitresses is a lurker as well. :)

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '11

Thanks for the report. Are they open for lunch or just dinner?

Jonelle
Jul '11

Jonelle - Just dinner right now. They open at 4.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '11

Thanks

Jonelle
Jul '11

I can't wait for the grand re-openong of Hunter's Lodge on August 5th. Mike Esposito and Skyland Roller Girls will be there. See you there!

localyocal localyocal
Jul '11

Jessica Koppinger and band will be playing at Hunter's Lodge on Fri. Aug. 26th. Worth the trip, she's awesome.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '11

Hunters Lodge is amazing! I was there for the grand re-opening last night. The remodeling that they did over there is beautiful. The food was great. I had lobster risotto this time and it was to die for. My husband had pork chops that were very moist.
We will be stopping there again for Jessica Koppinger on Aug 26. She has a beautiful voice.

localyocal localyocal
Aug '11

Thank you all for the warm welcome and kind words! Hunter's Lodge is now also online at http://www.hunterslodge.net/

You can also join us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/hunterslodgerestaurantandbar

We just signed up, so drop on by and say hello! Thank you all once again, we look forward to meeting you all :-)

Hunter's Lodge Hunter's Lodge
Aug '11

Soup of the Week… Ask your server for this week’s selection of one of our homemade soups. All our our soups are served with charred croustini points for dipping ~ $16

Really ? Better be damn fine soup.

MikeL MikeL
Aug '11

Big mistake on our part. Take that first decimal off! Heh heh. 6 bucks Mikel. Oops.

Thanks for letting us know. Anytime you notice a hiccup, feel free to yell folks!

Hunter's Lodge Hunter's Lodge
Aug '11

it does not look like there is much for the non-beef eating person or the vegetarian. In fact none of the apps are veggie options, except the gravy fries.

Michelle O. Michelle O.
Aug '11

No vegetarian dishes. We are all out of luck. Just cause it is "Hunter's" Lodge you would think they would be "restaurant " savvy in this day and age. Ugghh. I had a group of fifty five people coming this weekend and thought that might be a fun booking...uggh..

Marley Marley
Aug '11

Buck Dilly (formerly of Blue Sparks from Hell) and his new band Live Bait will be playing at Hunter's Lodge tonight 9/23 at 9 pm.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '11

Power to the beast eaters yummmmm its good home style food I was so happy to see this place come back to life i wish them well and hang in there . there at one time were many little eaterys on Rt 46 that have come and gone over the last 40 years I go back before the I-80 bridge to when it was a small road that went past the old boy scout camp that was a long the river wow i am old ,

Sep '11

Jessica Koppinger will be performing at Hunters Lodge on Friday, Oct 28th. Besides that they're having a Halloween celebration that night too. That place has excellent food and good service. I'll be there for sure.

localyocal localyocal
Oct '11

Went there one time.....ok . didnt care for the company i was with though

sadbear sadbear
Oct '11

CagedAnimal...what Boy Scout camp...along the Delaware...I went to Camp Pahaquarra...back around 1970-1971

oldman oldman
Oct '11

Jessica is fantastic. Worth the ride.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '11

that must be the time frame 1967 to 72

As caged can take his best guess I can not remember the name as for the location if your5 on the east bound side of 80 there is a small pull over weigh station look up the hill on the west bound side there was or still is Iron fenceing and gate back in there is the camp property a small lake and old cabins thats were we went for a out door scotting function of oringand tearing rifle shooting swiming boat and canoueing and other activitys with in the scoutting theam -

Oct '11

Glad to hear all the positive responses. I will definately be checking this out sooner rather than later. On the Boy Scout camp thread, I remember going to what we called Camp Pahaquarra as well on Old Mine Road.This was in'65. Also went winter camping there in a lodge that was built into the side of a hill overlooking the camp. Have been back to show my kids and all that is left are crumbling cement foundation remmnants of the lodge and what I remember as the dining hall below it. I remember my grandfather talking about a Camp Weygadt in the same area that my father went to with the scouts in the '30's.

Riverman Riverman
Oct '11

Hunter's Lodge is open for lunch as well as dinner. I recommend the grilled chicken pannini. Very nice place. Our waitress, Linda, was very friendly.

localyocal localyocal
Nov '11

I'm looking for a restaurant that is serving Thanksgiving dinner. This is the most reasonable place I've found. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

http://www.hunterslodge.net/

localyocal localyocal
Nov '11

Went there this past weekend with my daughter. Not much going on. Draft beer limited to bland domestic lagers. Burgers were both cooked well-done, despite our requests for medium. Had to go to the bar to get a refill. Drafts $3.5 (leaving the zero off is apparently ersatz-classy.)

Not worth the $40 I threw down for a <$32 tab just because I wanted to get the hell out of there. Didn't feel it was worth $32, either....

Live and learn...

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Feb '12

I understand they are starting to have entertainment there. The Quimby Mt. Band played there last week. Don't know much about the food there but the location leaves a lot to be desired, way out of the way of anything. Not like the hayday before Rt. 80 went thru.

RM - They have been having entertainment there since shorty after they opened last year. Usually on Friday nights.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '12

hunter's lodge is doing a good jb trying t make a go of it in a tough economy

i love the fact that they are supporting live entertainment, more power to them.

i want to see them be succesfull.

would lke to check them out one friday night,

do they schedule any solo acts or is it always a band? (who does the bookings?)

do they host an 'open mic' night?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Feb '12

Their food is good. Service good

riverat riverat
Feb '12

Calico, i was not aware of that, guess I never saw any advertisments for them. I was under them impression the were closed. Out of the loop I am!!! LOL But that was before I became a lifer! Now im on top of everything!

The place wasn't bad, it just wasn't a good value for me. Personal preference.

Staff and regulars seemed friendly enough, though....

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Feb '12

well at least its not one of those places you get three green beans and a cracker size meat a 1/2 potatoe cut in a star with some thing drizzeled on it for 60dollars a plate your geting down home good food

Feb '12

I decided to give this place another try over the weekend, and wow! Seems like they have finally gotten their stuff together. Fabulous menu, I had the spinach artichoke dip... It was unlike any I've had before but it was delicious. I had the portobello mushroom stacker for dinner, and it was such an amazing dish. The presentation was beautiful and the meal just as impressive. The waitress was so friendly and attentive as she tended to both the bar and the dining room. If you've tried this place in the past and been disappointed as I was, trust me, its worth another shot!

trytrytryagain trytrytryagain
May '12

Is this place still open? It looks like it has been closed for months but they are still listed on the restaurant.com website.

Jimbob Jimbob
Aug '14

Closed as far as I know. That's a tough area to have a business.

Island Park was still on restaurant.com for over a year after they closed. I even called restaurant.com a couple times and told them that they were closed. They told me it takes awhile for them to update their system. Not sure why.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

My aunt lives just down the road mile or so I will ask her if she knows

Aug '14

The Hunters Lodge is open again.

Just returned from dinner at the Hunter's Lodge.

They have four specials Wednesday and Thursday:

Stuffed Lobster Tail
Scallops with Angel Hair and Lemon
Whole Lobster 1 - 1.5 lb
Fish Pot
All priced at 15.95

No salad, no bread

Steamers 2.95 a dz

Hubby had the stuffed tail, came with steamed broccoli and mashed. He cleaned his plate!

I had the scallops with angel hair. A dozen large scallops in a heavy lemon sauce. Good, not great.

Service was spot on, owner stopped by the table, nice touch.

We were told the steaks are from Alpine, Blairstown.

Will plan on trying a burger/steak next time we stop.

Tidy
Nov '16

Thanks for the review Tidy. I have heard good things from others as well. I have been meaning to get out there since the new owner took over. Hopefully, I will get there soon.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '16

Calico- a date soon to drink some hurricanes and spoon balancing?

Nosila Nosila
Nov '16

LOL Nosila. That was a fun time!

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '16

Hi guys! I'm the new owner of the iconic "hunters lodge" were happy to see all the interest. All our food is prepared fresh to order and guaranteed.if you don't like your meal.we'll buy it! Enjoy. See you there

Doreen Doreen
Jan '17

Is this the new place on the corner of Rt. 94 in Blairstown?

Mom with Kids Mom with Kids
Jan '17

NoMom with kids - this is in Knowlton/Columbia on rt 46
That is Buck Hill Brewery in Blairstown

kepa
Jan '17

No it's right past Humpty jrs on 46 east. ate there a few weeks ago-clams were great, grass fed beef hamburgwers were so big and delish as were fries. Definitely going back on a regular basis!

Website isn't right.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
May '17

Look at the date on the website post, it's from 2011. Just search Facebook now.

This place is trash, went with a few friends to check it out, the $3 steamers were worth taking the chance on driving out there. Service was awful the server was also the bartender which was odd, she spent more time loudly joking with bar patrons and texting than checking on us and refilling our drinks. She also went out for an unrealistic amount of ciggarettes during our stay. The locals are loud and rude. We waited awhile for our food which would have been fine if our drinks were being refilled in a timely matter. Food was okay. Not good but okay. Clams were dried up and a few were cold. I got a burger which was okay, roll was mayb stale. One of my girlfriends said she had gotten sick later that evening, she had seafood. All in all not a great experience. Basically a dive bar. I would not return for beers because the service was bad.

AlexP
May '17

No disrespect Alex but it is called "Hunter's Lodge" not sure what you were expecting. May I ask where you are from?

positive positive
May '17

Wow AlexP, sorry you had that experience! My experiences have been quite different, have been to Hunter's Lodge probably 10 times in the last few months, always on a Sunday afternoon! Have never, ever had a complaint about the place! Everything I've eaten there has been absolutely delicious! The steamers are sweet and succulent, I've had the pizza, crab stuffed portebello, seafood pot and a few other menu items! The best is a plate of sliced steak and slightly spicy shrimp with mashed potatoes, it is always cooked perfectly and absolutely delicious, it's not a regular menu item and must ask your server for "The Courtney Special", I hope you give this place another try, it's worth it!! Also let Nelson, Dorrie, Jenn or Courtney know you were disappointed, they are fair and reasonable people!

Donna Hughes Donna Hughes
May '17

Even places as exceptional as this can be prone to trash talk from time to time. I go there often to meet with friends that are more like Family, both patrons and employees.The bartenders also wait tables, and although the place can get hectic, they always make sure everyone is treated like family, always with a smile, or a joke or two. It's because of this, that both of my kids always want to go there too. I've never had to wait too long for service even when the place was packed, but do understand when these folks work like machines to try to make sure everyone is served. I do wish the bartenders wouldn't take the occasional cigarette break though. Not because they don't deserve the break, but those things will kill you and I happen to care about them. Being from Hackettstown, I guess I'm not a "local" but then I think most everyone that goes there comes from elsewhere. But I guess us "Hunter Lodge Locals" if you will, can get a little loud. That usually happens when you genuinely enjoy one another. Maybe a little loud, but not disrespectful. The food is always top notch and priced more than reasonable. I guess to sum things up, I'll continue to come here for as long as I'm within the distance to do so. And I know if something was not to my liking, ever, I'd be able to tell any of them right then and there, and it would be taken care of immediately. Not that I would ever need.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.