Smokehouse Barbecue - Real BBQ?

Got an ad with menu in the mail... Looks like the real thing! Anybody been there, and what do you think?

Nick Nick Message Nick
Jun '07

My co-worker has been there a few times, and really, really likes it! I've been meaning to get over there. She said the portions are good and food is tasty!

anonymous anonymous Message anonymous
Jun '07

I was there a few weeks ago and the food was very good - great prices too. I had the pulled pork platter and my boyfriend had the bbq sampler - both were large portions. Would definitely go back again.

Starting to sound good... Anyone know what style they claim to be -- Kansas City, Memphis, etc. Additionally, how are the take-out portions?

Nick Nick Message Nick
Jun '07

Where exactly is this restaurant located? I've been hearing a lot about it and I would love to check it out.

Kelly Kelly Message Kelly
Jun '07

It's where Stumpy's was and before that I think it was th e Sports Pub. Check out the Map in the directory.

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/directory/smokehouse-bbq-tavern.html

Chris
Jun '07

I was just there a few weeks ago the food was incredible. Having been raised in Houston Texas myself, I know barbque, and this is pretty darn close to the real thing. The pulled pork and ribs are incredible. The sauce is delicious. I convinced my husband to order take out the other day, and the portions were just as big as they are as an eat in customer. Family friendly environment, reasonably clean, very reasonably priced. Staff was very pleasant as well. I've been in NJ now for 8 years and have finally found a little taste of TX. Highly recommend.

Not to knock them too bad, but I work for a company who deals with them frequently... and all I have heard is that their food is inedible... but then again I can't personally say anything.

Stefanie Stefanie Message Stefanie
Jun '07

We go there quite often love it. Would highly recommend them.

Anonymous
Jun '07

Ate there 2 weeks ago and was very impressed. The portions are huge (doggie bag) and the food very tasty. Great prices too!

Anonymous
Jun '07

We live just down the road and use them for quick meals when we don't want to cook - MUCH better than any pizza delivery!

To save money, we just get a pound of pulled pork, four rolls and a couple of sides. The pound of pulled pork is a HUGE amount and lasts us for dinner, lunch the next day and lots of snacks (for two adults and a 3 year old)

They put half a pound of pulled pork on each sandwich - which IMO is more than necessary which is why its just cheaper to buy it ala carte and make your own sandwiches!

Make sure to ask for extra sauce for those future "leftover" meals!

oh, and my brother lives in TN just outside of Memphis and he loved the pulled pork - said it was "darn good BBQ" --- now the slaw to go ON the sandwiches TN style... not sure about that! LOL

CrunchyMom CrunchyMom Message CrunchyMom
Jun '07

I think the food is good and the value is very good especially when bringing the family.

Kate S. Kate S. Message Kate S.
Jun '07

Do they have a website with a menu?

Lisa Lisa Message Lisa
Jun '07

My favorite local restaraunt.

They smoke all their meat on site, I'd say that makes it "real" BBQ. The sauce is also their recipe, and the only sauce I've ever had to rival it was sauce I made myself (from a Bobby Flay recipe)

And you can't beat those t-shirts the waitresses/bartenders wear... "Nice racks, Big Butts"

Anyone who think that food is inedible must be a vegan.

Anonymous
Jun '07

Real Barbecue is generally viewed as a method of cooking something, usually meat, with low heat and the presences of smoke to flavor the food.

Many restaurants in the north grill things and put "bbq sauce" on it and call it barbecue. This would be crazy talk in the south.

Chris
Jun '07

And they're sweet potato fries are excellent!

Bessie Bessie Message Bessie
Jun '07

I live by Smokey's in Byram - we pass right by and go all the way to Hackettstown for our bbq!!! NO COMPARISON!

Anonymous
Jul '07

I think they have a menu on www.myspace.com/smokehousebbq and its under pictures

Anonymous
Jul '07

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.