Washing machine just broke

Fantastic! Since we just spent a ton of money getting our car fixed! If anyone has a washing machine that still works that they're not using, please let me know how much you're looking for and where you're located. Thanks! I'm clickable.

Birdie Birdie
Mar '11

I don't have one, but I'm really sorry you are going through this. Best of luck!

Alison Alison
Mar '11

Can your hubby fix it??

I dont have a washer but I wanted to say "your hubby"

Just Asking Just Asking
Mar '11

LOL! lol, thanks JA. He'll look at it when he gets home but it becomes a long You Tubing process, haha. I don't even know if it's going to be worth fixing, I guess it depends on what is wrong. Thanks Alison. Sigh.

Birdie Birdie
Mar '11

try self-diagnosing it with www.repairclinic.com. You may be able to fix it yourself. I fixed 2 issues with my dryer with the help of this site.

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '11

I agree with emaxxman. I fixed my washer a few years ago. repairclinic.com was great and it only cost about 23.00 for the part. It took about 5 minutes to put the part in.

Indy2 Indy2
Mar '11

I just went on the repairclinic site. What does agitate mean in reference to a washing maching, like it won't agitate? Our filled up with water and then does do the swirly thing to wash the clothes, is that agitating?

Birdie Birdie
Mar '11

Sorry that should say, does not do the swirly thing.

Birdie Birdie
Mar '11

The swirly thing means agitating.. Although our kids could to it standing still.

THE MAN THE MAN
Mar '11

When a washer is "agitating" it is swirling the clothes around. Wasn't there one for sale on the Forum Classifieds? I know there are several listed for sale in the TreasureHuntAds.or if you can't get a publication..Google..TreasureHuntAds.

joyful joyful
Mar '11

Thanks! Ok, so it doesn't agitate. Joyful, the only ones listed on the classifieds here are for a washer and dryer for best offer. Our dryer still works. For now. lol.

Birdie Birdie
Mar '11

OH and I submitted it to repairclinic so hopefully I hear from them and it's just a small part and we don't even need a new washer.

Birdie Birdie
Mar '11

Hope that works for you, Birdie.. with repairclinic. If all else fails I guess you do what a lot of us have had to do in the past with temporarily broken washers...use the local laundromat until the washer can be fixed.

joyful joyful
Mar '11

UGG birdie I sure can relate to this one! Although we had a service contract on our washer it still took forever. Our dryer we did us the internet to diagnose with the help of a few friends on HL. The part cost us $38 and DH put it in. Good Luck and sorry.

Christine Christine
Mar '11

I'm hoping for the same luck Christine, an easy fix!

Birdie Birdie
Mar '11

Birdie, I had the same problem a couple months ago. Found a great video on YouTube from some other guy with the same problem and the very easy repair. The part cost me $10.

Here's a link to the You Tube video that helped me and may help you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5wIN1J70-Y

good luck

Clawdia Clawdia
Mar '11

Birdie,

Im almost postive you have to replace your agitator "dogs". I had the same problem with my washer. its four peices of plastic that kinda grind into the bottom of your agitator. The job really isnt that hard. If you/husband can read the repair manual online your good to go.

The parts are cheap.

Civil Guy Civil Guy
Mar '11

Thank you everyone. Still waiting to hear back from the website but my dh is going to try and fix it this weekend. He said he thought it was those agitator dogs too from what he read online. I ran to the laundromat this morning and washed clothes just in case then brought them home to dry. Worse case scenario, we will try and find something cheap on CL.

Birdie Birdie
Mar '11

Re: Washing machine just broke

Depends on the brand and model.

Even on a old fashioned Whirlpool top load that has agitator dogs, without looking at it..it is possible you could have a broken drive coupler, bad trans, etc.

Pitstop Appliance Pitstop Appliance
Mar '11

How did Mr Birdie do on the Washer??

Just Asking Just Asking
Mar '11

Ummm, he's still working on it. LOL.

Birdie Birdie
Mar '11

don't call hackettstown trading post.

fitter fitter
Mar '11

Christine and I have the same service contract with Sears I think. All I can say is it takes forever and at least they will fix it.....someday.

Ours, only 13 months old. First time, told them exactly what was wrong (brain dead), still had to come out and see, then order part. Two weeks later.....fixed, then something else broke, two week, came out, ordered part, fixed, still broke, one week (I had already schedluled this time), came out --- determined that they did not order ALL the parts, ordered part. one week, came out --- fixed. Total trips = 5, think seven weeks.....

Don't know how they make a buck.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Mar '11

mrgoogle mine was out almost 3 months! they put in over $500 in parts. I was convinced they didnt know what was wrong with it so just ordered everything they could think of. now all of a sudden my fabric softener dispenser wont empty. So now we all have static cling. Do I dare try calling them now? UGG!

Christine Christine
Mar '11

Christine:

In my case, I understand them coming out for a look-see to order the parts I told them to. (that's 4 weeks, two trips)

Then something else broke which may or may not have been their fault, always there and not diagnosed, or just one of those things (two trips).

But when they fixed the second problem, they tried to short cut it by not ordering all the parts thinking some would be still good, they weren't so for lack of a hose --- an extra two weeks.

So, almost two months and I can easily see three months for routine fix. I started cutting my time by calling them as soon as then left to schedule the next appointment in that it is easier to cancel than to book the time.

If you can stand the time to be there, by all means call as long as you don't think they will make it worse. Sooner or later --- they will make it perfect and remember, I think they have a lemon-clause as well for total replacement. But it's the time that's the killer and they know it too.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Mar '11

Birdie,

There are two washers for sale in the Ad Section today.

Just Asking Just Asking
Mar '11

Thanks! I spoke to one of them but they want to sell them as a pair. The other is going to be too much money. Thanks though! I think my dh is picking one up on CL

Birdie Birdie
Mar '11

There is a guy on Route 57 in Mansfield across from Anderson Hotel had 2 outside today with for sale signs on them.

Just Asking Just Asking
Mar '11

Oh I will have to check that out! Thanks!

Birdie Birdie
Mar '11

Thanks for everyone's help! We ended up getting one off of Craigslist for $125, the guy's wife wanted a front loader. It's in the house and happily washing clothes again! :-)

Birdie Birdie
Mar '11

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.