Trading of Goods for Services or Vice Versa

In Today's economy we all appreciate ways to save a few dollars.
How about Trading of your talent or service in exchange for something you want or need? Example; Computer repair in exchange for Spring yard work or a certain item you want but have not been able to find or afford to buy. Or Will do Income Taxes for someone in exchange for(whatever it is you might want to trade for doing that service).

joyful joyful
Feb '11

I did this with great result.
I had 2 Herman Miller wall curio cabimets I no longer wanted to use. They were still in great condition.

I placed Barter Ad on Craigs list. I wanted a ceramic tile kitchen backsplash in exchange for cabinets.
Tony came into our lives. He is a carpenter at the Javits Center in NY. He was not getting the overtime he needed, as he still has 2 children left to put thru college.

He also had Italian tumbled Stone in his basement he was not going to use.
We were so happy with the result, it was something I could have never affored without the barter and some luck.
Tony has done other work for us and we have always been pleased.
He turned out to be a very nice "family man". He has gotten other jobs nearby us, even finishing some basements.
It worked out well for us, but you must be careful when inviting strangers into your home.

susan susan
Feb '11

This is an excellent idea--and one that more people should be doing, no matter the state of the economy. One should keep in mind, however, that bartered services are usually taxable--particularly if one is doing so as a "business." Thus, one should be careful, if one wishes to avoid an audit and/or tax levy. Here is a link to more information, from the IRS:

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=188095,00.html

LoneWolf LoneWolf
Feb '11

I know what you mean by inviting strangers into your home, Susan and that is why I presented this to the HL group. Most of us from what I can detect are honest and hard working people and also can use a money saver whenever they can find it. I was thinking more along the lines of Maybe someone walking your dog in return for something they are looking for that you might have to exchange.( a collectible or gift card or maybe something you can do for them. They could actually post...I can walk your dog in exhange for-----------. Or I can hem your slacks in exchange for-----------. And then if someone out there has that item or can do that service..they have a deal at no cost to either of them.

joyful joyful
Feb '11

My husband, John and myself Vilma, need the services of a handyman to do minor electric workat our home, replace the tile in our small kitchen and a few other items that use to be in my husbands's to do list - due to health reasons he is unable to do this anymore - so we are looking to barter - in exchange for those services what we can do are secretarial work, bookkeeping,teaching how to use the Internet and or computer software such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, errands, taking care of your pets, etc...
Hopefully we should be able to come to an agreement and barter our needs very successfully.
Email us and let us know and in the meantime, well, have a great day!

John and Vilma

John J. John J.
Mar '11

You teach me to use Excel, I'll do the electrical work.

krisandkelly krisandkelly
Mar '11

I need someone who knows how to sew to hem a few of my things. In return... for equal or greater value of this service for a Collectible that I might have and you also might collect....such as: Milk glass, Lenox, Prescious Moments figurines, collector plates, religious dome figurines, cut glass, etc. You name it..I probably have it.

joyful joyful
Mar '11

Have you hear of this?

http://www.timebanks.org/

LV Ann LV Ann
Mar '11

Sure, I am up for doing

- pc clean up, tune up and virus protection (all free)
- spreadsheet, word processing formats, applications
- light finance (setting up pc portfolios for tracking investments), taxes, lowering bills/setting up household budgets, etc.
- spec-ing and setting up interet TV applications (so you can lower your cable and movie-renting costs)

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Mar '11

My brother-in-law is a doctor in upstate NY. Some of the more interesting things he's received in lieu of payment were a pig (already butchered) and a black powder rifle (handmade). Gotta love country living!

Bruin Bruin
Mar '11

Bruin. That is the idea exactly that I tried to put across in this thread. I remember too many years ago being raised on a farm in upstate New York when the doctor would come to the house and for payment leave with a few dozen eggs, some vegetables and even a few chickens in payment for his services when Mom and Dad could not afford to pay him. Maybe this thread should be retitled "A kindness for a kindness"..instead of Trading of Goods for services

joyful joyful
Mar '11

Whatever you call it, joyful, it's a great thread. Thanks for starting it.

I Can offer job hunting techniques (for those unable to find jobs in this economic environment) how to improve your resume and how to use social networking sites to find a job.

to barter for helping me with Landscaping? or helping me start a vegetable/flower garden this spring?

htown newbie htown newbie
Mar '11

I can offer photography, specifically pet or landscape/home photography, and/or photography lessons.

I would like - light carpentry help: building simple raised beds for a garden, and putting topsoil in. We have all the tools and supplies.

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '11

How is this working out?

Firefly Firefly
Mar '11

For putting down a tile floor and repairing a ceiling, I can offer to take care of your pets, help with gardening &/or cleaning.

i could do childcare for any kind of gift cards that you don't need.

lovin life lovin life
Mar '11

Firefly. Have not had any personal feedback from this post but without realizing it yesterday when speaking with another HL poster we agreed to trade a type of garden plant that he desires for one that I would like from his garden. Simple things like that and at no cost to anyone.. In this weeks Treasure Hunt Ads there is a person requesting to exchange some furniture they have for something they want or need. Perhaps some of the posters are PMing each other to make arrangements for their trading... I know LoneWolf meant well with his post about the legality end of Trading goods for services but sure don't feel this particular thread will be of any interest to the IRS.

joyful joyful
Mar '11

Well joyful it can be hard to match up services that's for sure. I need some help re-writing my resume. I can do whatever...cleaning, dog walking, raking.

Firefly Firefly
Mar '11

Firefly: What needs to be updated on your resume? Are you looking for a particular position?

joyful joyful
Mar '11

Joyful I need an updated resume as I have been unemployed. Competetion in fierce. I need to address the last 2 years while on unemployment...I was working to make ends meet but not in the fields that I need to find employment in.

Firefly Firefly
Mar '11

What area of employment are you looking for?? I might be able to help you if it is a field of work that I know something about.

joyful joyful
Mar '11

@ joyful Anything! admin, logistics, customer service, reception, production, literally anything that will get some money coming in.

Firefly Firefly
Mar '11

OK. Firefly. PM me and we will set up a time to get together. I would like in return as I know you are a good photographer..a picture of my cat to post on the Forum (I hope you know how to do that) and/or some help with my flower beds which are in much need of work. We will talk..

joyful joyful
Mar '11

Will do joyful! I would be happy to do take a pic of your kitty and help with the flower beds.

Firefly Firefly
Mar '11

I am almost afraid to mention this for fear Rebecka will respond.....JUST kidding!

I need grooming for my Shih Tzu, Spencer. I can clean for you, yard work, grocery shop, laundry, ironing ++++++

Firefly Firefly
Mar '11

I love the barter idea. I have been wanting to learn to speak spanish for a long time. I am a piano teacher in the area and would love to trade piano lessons for spanish lessons.

KCDOG KCDOG
Mar '11

If anyone has any beer or Jack Daniels around the house they no longer want...I can come over and drink it...free of charge.

PREDATOR PREDATOR
Mar '11

Firefly - OMG thank you for the good morning laugh!!! Are you **sure** you don't want me to groom little Spencer!? :-D

Bruin - doctors providing medical care in exchange for things other than hard cash still exists - DH does it all the time! It's really wonderful, actually. We have relationships with people who give us all kinds of different things in return.

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '11

Just thought I would bump this thread up. I have done some cool bartering recently with very talented and helpful people! It's such a great, personable way to give and get. You meet neat people, see how they do things, maybe learn something, and no one has to get out their wallets. Anyone up for trading services / goods?

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '11

dont forget to put dollar value on these things and dont forget to file it as in-come on your taxes he he

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Sep '11

We would love an area of our basement, that is finished to have ceramic tile installed. The area is down to the concrete,once more. The area is 17.6' X 12.3'. I will supply the tile, you tell me how much to purchase and some extra. You do the rest.
What I can trade and do...
First I weave and make beautiful long wraps, scarves.
Hand knit cabled long alpaca mittens, baby blankes,Baptismal blankets.
Think of the Christmas gifts you need! I do not mean to brag, but people love my work. The mittens sell like hotcakes! Any women would be thrilled!!!

I also have a slate blue TV armoire, with doors that close.
Has storage shelves, cable box and Dvd box areas, close the doors, all neatly tucked away from little children and fingers. Will hold a large screen TV. Hides those nasty,messy cables too!

Anyone one interested or know some one who might be? Call me 908.852.8136

susan susan
Sep '11

I love the barter idea....growing up in Peru my father was a lawyer in the city but he also had clients who cannot pay him so they will pay him with vegetables, meat or would repair things in our house as well.

I am a Spanish tutor in my free time and will be willing to exchange my services for some ballet lesson for my 2 1/2 year old daughter or if you have something in mind that I would like maybe we can trade :)

Looking forward to hearing from you!!

What I can offer:

Computer Expert - I can help with installations, repair, virus removal, tune-up, wired/wireless networking, website design, tutoring, printer setup, TV set up. Knowledgeable in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.

College Student - Perpetual student. Studied Economics, Psychology and now Computer Science. Have completed upper level math courses including now Calculus II. Excellent at proof-reading papers, resumes, etc.

Laborer - I'm in my mid-20s used to work at an Antique shop for 6 years moving furniture so know the proper way to move things and organize boxes, etc.

What I want:

Surprise me! Like I said I'm in my mid-20s just recently moved into my own place so tell me what you have to offer. Actually looking to hire a Quickbooks expert to keep the books balanced for my side business, send invoices, etc. Willing to accept piano/guitar lessons. Tickets to sporting events or concerts. Let me know what you have to offer!

ComputerSharp ComputerSharp
Sep '11

Oh not a big fan of cleaning or doing laundry either but I live down in Bernardsville so that might be too far. If not, let me know!

ComputerSharp ComputerSharp
Sep '11

I can tutor English or in basic homework skills. I have a M.A. in English Literature as well as just over two years experience teaching writing at the college level. I have also tutored for eight years . Is anyone interested? I am open to bartering options!

Paula Paula
Sep '11

My name is Mike and I'm fairly new the area, been here for almost a year (actually mt. olive). Recently I became a Certified Personal Trainer. I started a new business called Activate Fitness and I am trying to get my foot in the door. I would like to do in home training or training in my home but "in my home" is a ways away as I'd like to finish the basement into a gym first. But....

I'd like to offer TWO people free training sessions for a 6 week period. During the first week I will get you accustomed to working out and the next 5 weeks I will use strength training exercises to help you reach your goals.

2x a week 6 weeks- FREE ($600 value). All I ask for in return are before and after pictures and if qualified in the area, maybe a logo for my business.

I am in the middle of acquiring my liability insurance and exercise equipment. I need around 2-3 weeks to be able to start the program. Send me an email here if you are interested. Thank you for your time.

Mike
Activate Fitness

Activate Fitness Activate Fitness
Sep '11

Mike,

I wish this was a year earlier. I have lost a ton of weight, but really lack in the exercise department. I am not very disciplined in that area. I hope someone(s) takes you up on this offer, and that it does some good for the both of you!

Lori...Since '73 Lori...Since '73
Sep '11

ET: Maybe you should contact KCDOG...in the March 11 post a few above this one. She teaches piano but maybe can come up with something else to trade of interest to you in exchange for Spanish lessons.

joyful joyful
Sep '11

Oh, do we have to talk, Mike.

As long as my "before" pic can be in a muumuu, and my "after," in the traditional bikini. ;-)

And... I can do your logo and give you professional pics.

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '11

@joyful: I saw the post but thought it was from March so probably had the lessons already....but you never know...thanks...:)

@Rebecka....I was thinking the same thing...LOL

@KCDOG: Any chance you know ballet? lol....

@Mike: I'm pregnant right now but would love to loose some weight when I'm done...can you wait 6 months?...;)

I still need grooming services for my Shih Tzu, Spencer and I can grocery shop, laundry, ironing ++++++. My service is worth approx. $100

Firefly Firefly
Sep '11

Or....someone can let Firefly do their shopping, laundry or ironing and then make arrangements for
Spencer to have his beauty parlor appointment??? See...it all works out for the best...in today's economy..we need to all help each other. When you see something of interest on here...just PM that person and see what you can agreeably work out plus make new friends along the way.

joyful joyful
Sep '11

Awesome idea Joyful!

I don't want anyone to think he is not getting groomed regularly. He is! But it is one thing that I would love to barter for as it is a service and I can trade a service.

Firefly Firefly
Sep '11

Yay, Mike from Activate Fitness got back to me, and it looks like we will be working together! So happy. Glad I bumped this thread up, and hope more people can take advantage of bartering.

Joyful - yes, I agree, in this economy, we really do all need to be helping each other out. And it can be the small things that make huge differences.

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '11

I wrote to Mike also but never heard back. Glad to hear that it was the real deal Rebecka Good Luck!

Firefly Firefly
Oct '11

Cancel my last comment. I did hear from Mike. Thanks Mike.

Firefly Firefly
Oct '11

Anyone have a food processor, they don't use or want?
Willing to trade my own handwoven scarf, handknit long cabled alpaca mittens.
I sell the scarves for 35.
Alpaca Mittens 50.
I also make handwoven long wraps that sell for 125.-150.
Thank you.

susan susan
Jan '12

Rebecka and Firefly not to highjack the thread but I was just wondering how your training session are coming along?

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jan '12

JrzyGirl88 - Just started this week - and so far so good. Mike is super knowledgable and very patient with all the questions I ask. I certainly am seeing the value of having a trainer...even for a few weeks. Activate Fitness is on it's way! I encourage you to check it out.

Firefly Firefly
Jan '12

Thanks Firefly.. I just might do that. I wish you lots of luck with your new program.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jan '12

As I eat a potato chip!! OMG what is wrong with me.. LOL!!

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jan '12

I hear you JrsyGirl88.....froggy made Molasses cookies - my personal fav.

Firefly Firefly
Jan '12

My cookies were devoured by my children! Can you tell I do not buy junk food anymore? LOL!

Froggy they thank you from the bottom of their stomachs. The molasses cookies are to die for!

Still plenty left guys come and get them!

Christine Christine
Jan '12

Where is Activate Fitness?

riverat riverat
Jan '12

Several people on the Thread "I always wanted to learn to..." should also post on here..A few already have indicated that they would like to learn to play the violin and one offered to teach piano in trade for something else. This is "people helping people"..and can't go wrong with that!

joyful joyful
Jan '12

I am willing to exchange Spanish lesson to anyone willging to help me ASAP with some wall painting, moving baby furniture and other chores I can't do right now (like taking pictures off the wall, etc).

I was told yesterday that I will be delivering 3 weeks earlier than expected and baby's room is still not done.

Thank you!!!

ET ~ I just pm'd you. I can help you if you'd like ~ I already speak Spanish though, lol : )

happy2bhere happy2bhere
Jan '12

Thank you happy2bhere and Jenny !! you are both very kind... :)

This thread needs a bump.

Let's barter people!

Firefly Firefly
Feb '12

Cool thread!

Can offer: youth soccer lessons or birthday party

Looking for: handy work around house

Julie Julie
Feb '12

Just saw someone posted on HL Classifieds that they would like to trade house cleaning services for some handyman work around her house. Thought that might just fit in with this thread.

Joyful Joyful
Apr '12

I have a aprox. 6 ft. Smith & Hawkin wrought iron plant stand with glass shelves. It is great condition, but too big for my home office.
It breaks down easy for transporting and is very sturdy. It is a vertical tower with a large square on bottom, that would hold the largest plants, going up vertically to smaller shelves.
I paid over $200.when Smith &Hawkins still had their own shops.
Trade for: someone to shape up small garden area by stone wall. May be 7 ft long, plant some deer resistant perrenials and some annuals.
Clean out some of the dead plants in stone wall, and replace with fresh soil and some annuals.
The stone wall is only about 6ft high and there are not that many pockets, as the stones are large.
I have a photo but can not load as it is too big.

susan susan
Apr '12

Anyone needing driving services due to loss of license or not having a car, I can drive you to do your errands, doctor's appointments, or even to work. I also love animals & can do pet sitting, including staying at your home while you go on vacation.
I can provide excellent references.

In exchange, I am looking for someone to help out with house cleaning for a small apt., and some computer training - (ex. posting pictures on line, navigating facebook, etc.).

Hope someone out there is interested. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Joyce Polack Joyce Polack
Apr '12

To Mike @ Activate Fitness:

I'm definitely interested in your offer. I am 59 yrs. old & need to lose weight & get in shape, especially with summer arriving shortly.

Please advise if your offer is still open & give me more details.

Thanks,
Joyce

Joyce Polack Joyce Polack
Apr '12

I thought this thread could use a bump!

Firefly Firefly
Sep '12

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.