NJ 2010 Census Populations by town

So I found this website that gives data from the 2010 census, and the interesting part is that Hackettstown population declined from 2000 census by 9%.

And just to let everyone know that Hispanics represent 14% of this town more than any other race (Blacks, Asians...)

And please don't even think to bring the "Main St " subject in here again, I'm sick of it.

If you go the the website you can click on new search to choose other towns in NJ .

Source : http://php.app.com/census/results.php?County=Warren&Town=Hackettstown+town&Submit=Search

Tinko Dinko Tinko Dinko
Feb '11

Sorry it's 6.5% instead of 9% my bad

Tinko Dinko Tinko Dinko
Feb '11

Tinko Dinko...................and what exactly is your point?????

Thanks for the link! I checked Long Valley (Washington Township), and it lists a 5.4% increase.

LV Ann LV Ann
Feb '11

LV Ann - Here's a link to more information about Long Valley's census results - http://longvalley.patch.com/articles/census-2010-washington-townships-getting-more-diverse

Technically non-hispanic caucasians represent the largest race; hispanics were the largest minority group. I'd be interested in seeing a demographic breakdown and year to year change. Are families moving in and people w/o kids moving out? Are there more retireers? That kind of stuff would help us understand the direction the town is taking and how to take advantage of it.

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '11

I seem to recall Mansfield losing population last census. I always thought that Hackettstown got some Mansfield Village population in their count. Maybe it is all just a correction.

That it's 14% hispanic should not be any suprise. I bet if they had tracked ethnicity the perentage of Italian origin increased between 1970 and 1980 when my family lived there went up to over 15% - and people acted like it was an outrage then. Town survived, got better.

Personally, if you have a growing population who view owning a small business and vitalizing Main Street with new shops, bakeries and restaurants I fail to see anything but good there.

Go check out sections of Bergen Line - where once there were run down stores and drug dealers (late70s / early 80s) you find thirving businesses and well maintained store fronts. It just helps if you can speak a little Spanish (rather than Italian 30 years ago).

Stephan Stephan
Feb '11

Stephan,

You make a very good point that I think is lost on so many posters on HL. Whether one likes the growing Hispanic influence on Main Street or not is a moot point. What we should look at is the investment money and hard work that the Hispanic population is making in Main Street.

I for one applaud the diversity and investment in our town by so many groups. When I moved in 10 years ago, we did not have so many ethnic offerings.

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '11

The Asbury Park Press site listed only has some highlights of the census data, but if you click on the details links you can see at least one interesting bit about the number. The decrease in population is matched by a decrease in number of housing units. There are almost 600 less housing units from 2000 to 2010. The maybe something to what maja says if there was either some kind of mistake or a redrawing of boundaries. In 2000 there was still some of BH being built as well as HB has been built since then. That makes the net of 600 less units even more of a change.

I haven't looked at them yet for 2010, but the Census *does* also track ethnicity and people's national origin as well as age and children per household, etc. So if you want more info, track down the national web site for more.

Tinko Dinko ?
I also wonder why you bring this to the forum? "More than any other race, blacks. hispanics..." Is this a contest to see how many of one race out numbers another?

Please explain, Pretty Please,

ghost
Feb '11

Thanks, BLD. That's much more detailed.

When I see a decrease in towns, it makes me wonder if everyone has taken the time to complete and return the census form.

LV Ann LV Ann
Feb '11

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.