Propane tank removal fee?

Inspired by the latest Suburban Propane thread I have come to the conclusion that since my tank is empty it is officially time for us to switch. Looking into a lot of suggestions made by other posters and I'm SO grateful for this info.

My question is this: Is anyone aware of the removal fee from Suburban? They are telling me it is $100 to remove it. I don't understand why I would be charged a fee to remove something I'm pretty sure we rent. Anyone else experience this?

antimony antimony
Jan '11

Tell them that you'll keep it and your $100.00!!

snapper
Jan '11

Tell them you want it removed, and if they don't, you will charge them a storage fee!

PV Resident
Jan '11

I live in the desert of southern California and previously had Proflame as a propane company. Recently, I switched to another propane company due to quicker service and lower rates for propane and tank rental. I had the previous company's tank removed since the new company came in and installed their tank, while moving the old one to the side. Two months later, I received a bill for $100 to remove the tank. What the hell? I've never seen a removal fee before. Is this common? Why do I have to pay for such a fee? I am curious, is this common? I see the news article of the Vermont company, but is this the only other case?

angryjohnny angryjohnny
Oct '11

Do you have a contract? What does it say? Ask them to show you where you signed to pay the $100.00 removal fee. If there, all's fair. If not, you didn't agree to it.

Peggy C. Peggy C.
Oct '11

We paid the removal fee (on our terms I sent them a little each month) I wasn't going to screw with my credit rating over $100 and principle (and they were huge jerks about the fee so I suspect they would persue negative reporting). We ultimately will be switching to Greenworks because the per gallon price is NOT a scam and is VERY reasonable. I had called Greenworks out here last winter but unbeknownst to me our backyard was a huge sheet of ice and the guys could not get the tank over to the install area. They tried really hard though! I also really liked the customer service at Greenworks when i called them. I called a LOT of propane companies and by far they were the most straightforward and pleasant to deal with. I even encouraged my SIL and neighbor to switch to them. They love them!

Just so you are aware virtually every company seems to have a "removal" fee. You have to ask a LOT of questions to get them to admit it though. Good luck with your move!

antimony antimony
Oct '11

i believe the town requires a permit and an inspection, so the monies probably go towards that and then their fee for filing the permit.

nutty nutty
Oct '11

I do not recall signing a contract in the first place. The tank was at my house when I moved in (2003). The previous owner was charged back for the propane in the tank and then I took over. I just called and asked them to have me as the new biller. They said that because I was a new customer, I'd get the first year of rental for $1. It was so long ago that I do not recall if i just was billed for the propane in the tank or what the deal was. But either way, I don't recall any contract, but I do remember being set up as a "Will Call" person when I signed up instead of them automatically topping it off each month. I was oblivious of any such thing as a removal fee. It is usual that there are installation fees (telephone, cable, etc) but this is the first time ever I've heard of removal. I hate to admit it, but maybe I'm naiive or just a sucker.

angryjohnny angryjohnny
Oct '11

Taken from Amerigas page:
CUSTOMERS WITH UNDERGROUND TANKS. At the time of installation and removal of the underground propane supply tank and equipment, Customer will mark or otherwise accurately identify the location of all underground systems that are not marked by the State's "Call Before You Dig" program, including, but not limited to, sprinkler lines, septic systems, leach pits, underground ponds and similar underground features. Customer is responsible for all costs of the excavation and removal of the Leased Equipment and the Company is not responsible for furnishing fill, resurfacing, landscaping or restoring Customer's property to its previous condition when the Leased Equipment is removed. The charge to remove an underground tank can vary greatly and is affected by the size of the tank, access to the tank, the soil conditions and other impediments near or around the tank, among other factors. Customer will be billed on an hourly basis for this work with local labor rates prevailing. The Company will invoice Customer for any third party excavation work performed in conjunction with the removal of the underground tank. The Company may at its option charge Customer for the value of the underground tank in lieu of physically removing the tank from the Premises.

Could you possibly tell me if there is any N. J. state code enforcement law that requires me to remove an empty no longer in use propane tank.

Charles Haberl Charles Haberl
Aug '13

Does anyone know who does underground propane tank abandonment? There is no name on the tank.

hopeful hopeful
Apr '14

I want my current propane company to remove there 1,000 gallon underground tank. I was under the impression that I owned the tank when I bought the house (2013). It turns out that I do not own it. The propane company is currently charging me about 2.00 a gallon over market price. I want them to remove it but I am wary that they may give me some ridiculously high cost to remove it. Is there any removal cost that I can use as a guide?

joseph orlando joseph orlando
Feb '15

I would assume between 500-1k$ to remove it. What company is it, and what kind of tank do you plan to replace it with? Above Ground?

Forcefed4door Forcefed4door
Feb '15

In my experience with propane companies they are not regulated by the State as to what they can charge. When you contract with them for gas they estimate how much you should use and if you don't use that much they charge you more per gallon to make up the difference.When I found a cheaper company I asked them to supply me with gas and they would not the other companies tank, It's a racket and all propane companies benefit.

Who do I contact about an underground tank that is no longer in use?

Grapes Grapes
Jun '16

Try contacting your homeowners ..they may be able to apply pressure on the propane company ...

Good Luck.

Steven Steven
Jun '16

If you have trouble identifying who owns the tank, I suggest going down to the town Building Department and asking to see the permits on your home, they should have a permit record for the company that installed it

I have propain tanks with propain. I need to remove. Does anyone know who can remove them?

Paula Paula
Jul '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.