Ledgewood Mall

I was just there, it was so empty! Even the dollar store is moving out. After I went to a few places I had not been for a while, in all cases their stock was way down and they looked like traffic was next to nothing. To me the signs are not of an econimic recovery at all.

sandy t sandy t Message sandy t
Jan '11

It isnt sandy t. We had a wonderful holiday season BUT January and Feb. are notorious for no business. If you can make it thru these next 2 months you just might make it.

Its very difficult to compete with big box stores nowadays. They have loads of money behind them BUT its hitting them hard also. IMO I think they overextend themsleves by opening too many stores.

Christine Christine Message Christine
Jan '11

the Ledgewood mall has had so many tenants over the years...Arthurs...the catalog store...Jamesway...Pharmhouse...that mall always seemed to be on the brink of closing...it could be that Wal-Mart...has been one of the longest tenants there..

oldman oldman Message oldman
Jan '11

Ledgewood Mall to me has been empty for years. Not a very happy mall to me.

Conrad's Mom Conrad's Mom Message Conrad's Mom
Jan '11

I haven't been there in a while, is JoAnn Fabrics still in business? It is very sad to see so many stores are closing. I am always amazed though that Walmart seems to always be full of people.

JRT JRT Message JRT
Jan '11

Ledgewood Mall has been dying for years and is actually one of a dying breed. The indoor malls just are not generally doing well. (As in anything else there are exceptions.) It's all about the outdoor "lifestyle" centers now. It's a pendulum and it probably won't swing back to the indoor malls for another twenty years or so, if ever.

JRT - the Joann's was still in business in October.

Aquarius
Jan '11

JoAnn's is still there, but not much else!

I grew up the next town over and can remember when the mall wasn't dead but the last say 12 years it has been pretty dead. I remember Lianna Renee being there and than all of a sudden it was gone!

Mommyof3 Mommyof3 Message Mommyof3
Jan '11

Marshalls and Macys but not much else. Reminds me of our Hackettstown mall abt 10 yrs ago.

Bath and Body Works is there as well.

Jan '11

I still go there because I love Macy's. Also, it is still has a fashion bug!

Alison Alison Message Alison
Jan '11

I have lived in Roxbury for 28 years and the L3edgewood m
Mall goes though phases of being busy and empty. I was down by Marshalls going to my Eye Doctor (B&B Eye Associates). By the way Dr. R. Kirczow best eye doctor ever. I have been using him for years and he is the best con tact lens fitter and problem solver ever. Any way I was the only person in that end of the Mall that day. I parked got out of the car and walked down mall entrance to Eye Dr. and encountered no one. Oh there was 1 person in Cutting Crew getting a haircut. Sad I remember when my sons ages 2 and 30 went there as teens and it was booming back then.

Roxpat Roxpat Message Roxpat
Jan '11

That was 29 and 30. Whew if they were 2 and 30 I think I would have run away from home by now. LOL

Roxpat Roxpat Message Roxpat
Jan '11

I wish there was a Bath & Body is Mansfield.. Love that store!

darlughh darlughh Message darlughh
Jan '11

I played Santa in the Ledgewood Mall about 20 years ago. The mall was booming back then. I was skinny at that time and needed a large pillow to fill the Santa suit. Unfortunately, I wouldn't need that pillow now. :o)

Rich Rich Message Rich
Jan '11

Went there before Christmas and it was probably the most "crowded" I've ever seen it in the past few years. The Santa there was great too. No lines like Rockaway. We had gone into the pizza place a few months prior since it seemed like the only place to find something to drink. But $2.50 for a Snapple-oy vey!

blackcat blackcat Message blackcat
Jan '11

Rich i prob have a pic on your lap! Ill have to ask my dad for my baby santa pics lol

shoebie shoebie Message shoebie
Jan '11

I was there a few months ago checking something out at Wal-Mart and strolled around the mall since I had some time before the bus left. NJ Transit added a bus route (875) to the mall, but when I went out there I was the only customer to the mall and the only other customer besides me on the bus from the mall was a local resident. The bus stop is located on Mary Louise Avenue behind Wal-Mart's loading docks as the mall does not want that bus on the property itself.

Well, we went to Macys and it was quite crowded there. Lots of people shopping...maybe it was the save $10 on a $25 coupon in the paper...and on the macys.com website...Whoo hoo!

acl76
Sep '11

Does anyone know if they are going to do their Halloween celebration this year? I have taken my grandchildren in the past and it was not at all crowded and the kids loved it. I would love to take them again. It was held on the Saturday before Halloween.

Tanya Tanya Message Tanya
Sep '11

The problem with the Ledgewood Mall is that the landlord is getting more than enough rent money from Walmart, Marshalls, Macys, and Ashley Furniture to carry the place and make a profit. Obviously he is satified with that instead of lowballing the first years rent and fulling the dam place! I dont get it!!!

MrNegativeNJ MrNegativeNJ Message MrNegativeNJ
Sep '11

I use to love Hackettstown Mall. Did most of my holiday shopping as well as everyday shopping there. Miss K-Marts snack shop. Use to take my daughter there when she was little. Very sad to see Ledgwood Mall etc. going away. I HATE the big malls... refuse to shop there. And Online is a hassle. Mostly stick to small Mom N Pop stores when I can.

Cheryl Cheryl Message Cheryl
Jan '12

There was an article in the daily record a few years back when radio shack moved out and a few other stores explained the rent was not just high but impossible for small stores to pay. If there was truth to it it makes no sense . How can a dollar store or a comic book shop afford thousands in rent . What mall manager can sit down on paper and feasibly think you can get a tenant like that. This is ledgwood not NYC !

dem dem Message dem
Jan '12

This mall was always depressing to me. Has it ever been done over. My kids are 29
and its always been a empty mall to me.

Conrad's Mom Conrad's Mom Message Conrad's Mom
Jan '12

Don't forget "The Music Den" www.themusicden.com It's been there for quite a long time too. That's always a busy place during Christmas time.

Although the address listed on the site is for rt. 10W in Randolph - if you go to the directions page, they give you instructions on how to get to their store in the Ledgewood Mall. I'm sure they must be paying a pretty penny in rent as well.

Phil D. Phil D. Message Phil D.
Jan '12

Joann Fabrics is moving next door to Shoprite at Roxbury Mall in February 2013. Fashion Bug is closing. An indoor mini golf course is being built in the Music Den space. That store relocated further east on Rt. 10. Used to enjoy having lunch at the cafe and browsing at Circuit City or attending events there. Not any more. We need more businesses in that area besides Walmart.

marli marli Message marli
Jan '13

I used to have coffee and an occasional lunch or dinner at Rockwell's in that mall ... there also was a pretty decent Italian restaurant ... they also had some pretty good baseball cards and memorabilia shows ... always enjoyed those, also used to get my haircuts in that mall, but I'm talking about stuff that was there 20 years ago.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu Message Andy Loigu
Jan '13

Oh! Gosh!..... Remember "Two Guys?" ....Loved that store.

How about the "Rockaway Sales" in Rockaway on Rt46?

Christmas time, the wife was there all day buying toys for the kids.

I loved the "Blue Light Special" at the K-Mart .

embryodad embryodad Message embryodad
Jan '13

That mall is a disappointment! I really would like to see more stores in there. It was great years ago, from what I can remember. And the Macy's there is "ehhhhh". Not too much there, but I'm not knocking it because I do lke Macy's. Marshalls is good too. I LOVE Marshalls :) Oh and @ EMBRYODAD....I spoke to EMBRYOMOM and she's on her way home. She hit K-MART, Christmas Tree shops and CVS for after Christmas deals. All I gotta say is that the wrapping paper stock at home is gonna be good for a LONNNGGGG time. ;) HAHAHAHA

Wild Angel Wild Angel Message Wild Angel
Jan '13

I remember 20 years ago hanging out at the arcade. I also used to frequent the comic book store. It was a great place to hang out. I was in there a month ago and it was pathetic walking through there. The place is literally half empty.

Metsman Metsman Message Metsman
Jan '13

I guess they can't seem to keep the right assortment of stores in that mall.
I remember Arthur's. What an unusual store that was! Had a friend who worked there when we were in high school.

LV Ann LV Ann Message LV Ann
Jan '13

I used to work for a store that was in Ledgewood (but not at the Ledgewood store at the Hackettstown Mall one) and the owners told us that the rent at Ledgewood was the highest of all their store. They also had stores in Secaucus, Watchung, Hackettstown, Caldwell, Wayne, and Rahway. They closed that store down because the foot traffic was awful and the rent was too high.

Jan '13

Thére's a LOT of wasted space right there! It would be cool to see The Christmas Tree Shop, Trader Joes, Sephora, Victorias Secret...Oh I can go on and on.

Wild Angel Wild Angel Message Wild Angel
Jan '13

Does anyone remember, somewhere in that area, a hot dog stand. I'm going back to the early 60's. I think it was Tony's Foot Long Hot Dogs. It was sorta designed like a Stewart's ( maybe it was ). I thought it was in Ledgewood, but might have been closer to the Randolph area. I was a wee child back then, but I remember it was treat to go there for a hot dog and soda.

JBJSKJ JBJSKJ Message JBJSKJ
Jan '13

Growing up in the 80's I remember Game Land very well. Friday nights would start at the Ledgewood Mall, we'd play some arcade games, grab a bite to eat and then walk over to the Roxbury Mall and go to The Wiz and then catch a movie at Cinema 10. No electronic leashes to your parents...liberty and the Ledgewood/Roxbury Mall. Good times.

Ah the arcade...memories..anyway you heard it here first Walmart is taking over about half of the mall (maybe more) going to be Super Walmart landlord just waiting for everyone to leave.....sucks but nothin we can really do except boycott Walmart which I have done for various other reasons...oh well

ARRRGGGH ARRRGGGH Message ARRRGGGH
Jan '13

Yeah, I remember all the computer games, there was a camera store in that mall that I also liked.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu Message Andy Loigu
Jan '13

Yeah, that mall needs a total reboot. Part of why I never go there is because traffic is always a nightmare! That dreaded circle-like light going back to the highway. Ugh!

somechick somechick Message somechick
Jan '13

Are ALL the stores gone? Last time I went there was still Bath and Body works, Payless and an indoor mini golf course. Are they still there? Guess I'll call out of curiosity.

ess ess Message ess
May '13

Bath and Body Works and Payless are still there.

Mariann Mariann Message Mariann
May '13

I've been out of the area since the mid 80's & its Rickells days. I keep reading online that this mall was built in 1978. But I remember shopping at Fashion Bug & Jamesway as early as 1974 & 75 while at RHS. It was never a happening place...

Landing Girl at <3 Landing Girl at <3 Message Landing Girl at <3
Jul '13

I hate to bring up an old subject but for future reference, does anybody have a list of the current mall tenants? I just want to have it down because if I don't have to go to rockaway for the same stuff that'd be great

Htownite86 Htownite86 Message Htownite86
Mar '14

Macys, Bath&Body Works, Payless, Walmart, Pizza Place, Marshalls, and Ashley furniture are the actually stores that I can think of. I believe the eye doctor is still there and there is a some sort of indoor place that does birthday parties down towards Walmart. Might be indoor miniature golf.

More recently Hallmark left and is now over near Kohl's

Mar '14

Time to add some restaurants there, that is the trend...

iJay iJay Message iJay
Mar '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Ledgewood Mall
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Your Web Site (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.